Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    upendrak ...

2008 Honda Pilot EXL
    Price $34,458
    Condition New
    Mileage 0
    Trim 4WD 4dr EX-L
    Exterior Color Not Provided
    Interior Color Not Provided
    Stock No. 084439
    Vin 5FNYF18578B034439
    Straub Honda Hyundai
    Wheeling, WV 26003
  • upendrakupendrak Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all who have responded. I will be checking these 2 dealerships in next few days. Looking for 4WD due to snow in the NorthEast (I live within driving distance to the 2 dealerships in PA and WV).

Yeah, the Touring was not there in 08. So, I would be go for an EXL. Saw some good offers on 09 Touring, but I guess I am still interested in 08s.
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    I just leased an 09 EX 3/36k miles for 300/mo +TTL. Gross Cap costs were $29042 and the residual is $17k.

You obviously put down a ton of cash or traded in for several thousand. I know this because your Gross Cap minus Residual is $12,042, divide by 36 = $334.50. At .00151 the Rent Charge is another $70. That's $404.50 plus tax. Probably doesn't include acquistion fee either.
  • jd210jd210 Member Posts: 1
    Good Price? Wait, Keep Shopping?
    Final all included, OTD cut the check price.
    09 EX-L 2wd, tint, door edge guards, blk sd step, tow kit, full nose mask, $33482
  • kellysimkellysim Member Posts: 26
    Don't know what your tax rate is, but any dealer around here their starting asking price is $31k for an EXL 4WD (not 2WD). Plus $1860 tax (6%) plus $100 title/tag/reg comes to $32960 and that's a pretty bad deal (you are paying their top price). If that other crap is worth $5k to you then that might be a different story (it's worth about $100 to me personally).

Advice: wait
  • nate25nate25 Member Posts: 11
    I got a quote for 30,200 for an EXL 4WD in the mail... I didn't even go to the dealership. I'm in the Cincinnati area. That quote includes everything but tax and your extra options. I'm going to wait for the 2010s and try to get an '09 for 26-28K.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    I think I got that mailing, as well..

From Century in Montgomery?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• yuliya1yuliya1 Member Posts: 4
    Dear Kellysim,
    Where are you located? I've been looking for a 4WD EX-L in Michigan and the best I was offered is 39,795 plus tax, documentation, etc. And they were not budging at all. I offered them $30,000 out the door and they all but said I was insane. Maybe I'm just a bad negotiatior.... Is there a way to find out when 2010 models come out?
    You won't get a EXL '09 for 30k out the door in MI, MI hasa 6% sales tax, so that's impossible. Out the door means with tax/tags/reg/title.

I'm in PA. Philadelphia area. The guy who said that they offered him an EXL for $30,200 in OH out the door is mistaken (OH has a 5.5% sales tax). They might've offered it for $30,200 without tax and without tags. Maybe if you reside in DE or AK where there's no sales tax you could get it for something like that, maybe.

Waiting for the '10s is your best bet. At that time they'll be very eager to get rid of this EXL inventory. There's a lot of it. Every dealer around here has at least 10 of them and some have 30. I would've waited if I could. I had to buy because I needed the vehicle for my job.

Good luck.
  • daddyyankeedaddyyankee Member Posts: 10
    Just started shopping for a Pilot today in So Cal. So far these are the prices I am being quoted:

LX 2wd- up to $1,500 below invoice
    EX 2wd- up to $2,200 below invoice
    EX-L 2wd- up to $2,500 below invoice

Don't be fooled by low dealer stock. According to this article written in Feb 09 the factory is producing way too many: http://blog.al.com/assembly-lines/2009/02/
    The dealerships are so overstocked with vehicles that they don't have room to store slow selling models like the Pilot. That's why inventory appears to be low. The excess inventory of Pilots is being stored at the factory. I agree with Kellysim that the $1,500 dealer subsidy for the Pilot is weak. I have not seen a single 09 Pilot being driven around in So. Cal in the past 6 months !!! The 09 Pilot seems to be selling as poorly as the S2000's. Honda will have not choice but to substantially bump up the incentive in order to clear inventory. In So Cal, most dealers only have the EX-L and up. No one is interested in $35k to $40k SUV's these days. I am going to hold out for another couple months and try to get $10k off MSRP for an EX-L. :shades:
  • yuliya1yuliya1 Member Posts: 4
    Kellysim, thank you for your response. I thought I saw you mention in one of your earlier posts that an EX-L should be about 28K now. That, with MI sales tax, documentation fee, title and plates comes to about 29,900 - that's where I came up with 30K. The dealers around don't seem to think so :) I was just curious if where you are, the actual cars are selling for cheaper for some reason. I am going to wait another month and see if they can offer me anything better at the end of May. Is there a way to find out when 2010 come out?
  • maxwellshousemaxwellshouse Member Posts: 2
    they offered me $3800 for my 2000 Odyssey. I think overall it was a sound deal.
  • bubsy1bubsy1 Member Posts: 6
    The above post may have a direct effect on the comment that the dealers in NJ told me a month ago that they have run out of EX's and more should be coming in May or June.

If there is such a demand for EX's, why don't the dealers have more of them in stock?

All that is available in NJ are the EX-Ls and above.

Also, if the dealer is saturated with EX-L's then why are they reluctant to sell them at a deeper discount to clear their inventory for EX's?
  • CalifLookieLooCalifLookieLoo Member Posts: 22
    "I have not seen a single 09 Pilot being driven around in So. Cal in the past 6 months !!!"

DaddyYankee:

You didn't see me waving at you from my Nimbus Gray 2009 Pilot Touring the other day? I was driving right behind a White Touring - but, I ran him off the road so I can continue to be the only 2009 Pilot driver in Southern California...... :P
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    He would have seen you but he was on the cellphone and munching a monster taco from Jack-in-the Box. :)
    The real discounts on the ex-l's will happen when the 2011 models start trickling in. Don't laugh -- it could happen. Be patient -- very patient. ;)
    In So Cal it appears that the larger Honda dealers are willing to make their profit solely on the holdback of 2 to 3%. They are willing to settle for even less profit on the touring models since the higher msrps result in more holdback profit. I'm sure they would love to sell for less, but there is no way they will sell for a loss unless it is a 1 only at this price loss leader. I'm just baffled that American Honda hasn't sweetened incentives. On the flip side, a fire sale on Pilots would reduce their resale value. A win win situation would be for AHFC to offer long term low interest financing. If you think not being able to sell 09's is bad, there are some dealers in So Cal that still have 2008 Pilots.
  • hftrphftrp Member Posts: 3
    i need the info from you. thank you and have a good night.
    As soon as the 2010 Pilots start to hit the dealer showrooms, how soon will it be before the dealers start to deep discount the 2009 Pilots?

Also, when making an offer, what is "reasonable" as to not get the dealer mad?

Consumer reports states that the bottom line price is around $30,000 before all the taxes, etc.

A dealer here in NJ has told me that they will sell me the EX 4WD for $27,700, but that was before his stock ran out in March.

Any advice will be helpful.
    EX-L 4WD bottom line price is around $29,500 - 30,000 before all the taxes
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    Do you have a bottom line for Touring?
  • dukeandmariedukeandmarie Member Posts: 7
    Spoke w/a dealer today who has 3 2009 Touring/RES 4WD models available. 8,900 miles, 8100 miles and 12,000 miles... $38k each. Apparently came from Honda exec's... but when does a vehicle switch being sold as 'new' to 'used'... how many miles?? Also, how much would you suggest offering w/o insulting the dealer??
    Touring model - - - Take about $5,000 to 5,500 off of MSRP and plus the deduction $0.10 for each mileage driven.

As far as the car wasn't registered before they treat it as new, even a demo.
    I don't think the really deep discounts will be seen until december on 09's because 10's will be very limited in production. They know the market. If there are a lot of 09's still on the lot then, you might see another 1-3k off max. Choices will be limited as they sell off. They may even wait out the winter because people buy awd trucks then. They may also hold to msrp on the 10's until all the 09's are sold. If you want one -- get a good price now and pull the trigger. Just my thoughts.
  • mz68mz68 Member Posts: 1
    I've been watching these forums to see what people are paying for 2009 Honda Pilots so I thought I'd share my experience.

Last week I purchased a 2009 Silver Touring 4wd W/Res in Chicago for $34,720 plus tax, title, doc fees. I was quoted lower prices from dealers but they did not have any in stock. Other dealers were a few hundred dollars higher, but all were well below invoice. Hope this helps any potential buyers out there.

Only have had it one week but this is the best SUV for the money out there!
    jayrider,

Thanks for the advice. I have been researching the '09 Pilot 4WD EX since March and received the lowest internet price of $27,700 (inc. destination) less taxes, etc. Unfortunately, at that time, all the dealerships in New Jersey stated that this trim is out of stock until the end of May or beginning of June. However, there are a surplus of EX-L's on all the dealer lots right now, but I don't believe spending an extra $1,500 for leather is worth it. I have a '01 Odyssey with cloth interior, with 3 kids and a dog and the fabric is holding up great. I am also hoping that Honda announces a "confidence" program similar to GM & Ford. At least I will have piece of mind that my car payments will be covered for a period of time if for some reason, I lose my job, It would really feel bad if I have to sell a new vehicle soona after I purchased it.

Thanks.
    I love leather -- $1500 covers more than just the seats I think. You also get some of it back at selling time. If there is even a remote possibility of job loss -- don't buy no matter what the "confidence" plan. They won't make your payments for long and if they take back the car you have to find a new one. Keep fixing your ody-- you can get 200k out of it.
  • wc_pacificawc_pacifica Member Posts: 7
    Just a thought....request an Internet quote from Castrucci in Dayton. See what they will do for their low price and OTD. I just purchased an Accord using their quote that was nearly $6k off of MSRP....If I remember correctly they are also doing the same with Pilot's.

Once you receive the Castrucci quote and if it is in-line with what you are looking for, consider taking that quote to Performance. They will likely match it.
  • dukeandmariedukeandmarie Member Posts: 7
    I agree... I would also like to see some kind of 'confidence' program w/Honda, but when I inquire w/the dealer(s) about such programs or upcoming financing deals "they" say that they're in the dark as much as we (the public) are... riiiggghhhttt. Has anyone out there heard of anything coming down the pipe??

Also, I normally "rent" the vehicle that I'm interested in from Hertz, etc... but just found out that you cannot "rent" a Honda at any of these places. I'm a little hesitant in purchasing a $30k vehicle just from a test drive or an "overnight"... is there any other way to drive the Pilot for a few days or a week??? I truly don't mind dropping the money in rental charges... as it's saved me from making bad decisions in the past. Thanks to all for any advice/suggestions.
  • nate25nate25 Member Posts: 11
    That's a good idea. I'll have to do that, but first I want to wait until after May 4th (I think). Because that is when the current $1500 dealer incentive expires. I'm hoping for an increase there.
  • sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    my dealer said $1500 incentive is extended till june1st.
    I'm in PA.

One of the local dealers here has 70+ EX-Ls on one lot. I have been watching their inventory and they haven't sold a single EX-L in April. They would rather go out of business than take a loss on these vehicles. If you saw what Honda did to the company that made the Phil (CNG) for them, it's probable that Honda is headed toward eliminating some dealerships.

The 2009s came out on May 22, 2008, so it's possible we'll see the 2010s before fall. I'd wait as long as possible. The dealers say fall, but that doesn't mean anything.

As someone else on here said, the vehicles on the lots are not the only vehicles that these dealers have to sell. There's an entire production run that's sitting in storage off-lot, and that has to be sold as well. When you go into a dealer and they say "there are no more EXs", they aren't telling the truth. There's a huge production run coming. It's a glut, there's no doubt about that.

I'd suggest that you be careful of listening to people who said that they recently purchased an '09 EXL for $32k or $33k. Sounds some of these individuals could be dealers talking, trying to get you to believe that that's a reasonable price. It's not.

Wait until the '10s are out if you can. The incentives on the '09s will go up, a lot. I'd also tend to think that a '10 can be easily purchased at $500 over (at most), so right now a '09 at even $2500 under is a lousy deal. I'd think that the single year is worth $4k, at least.

Basically the message is, only buy if you absolutely have to, otherwise wait. It'll be worth your time and effort to wait for the '10s. Your negotiating position on an '09 or on a '10 will be tremendous. I'm sorry I couldn't wait, as I estimate that it cost me at least $2500 - $3000 more than it reasonably should have had I been able to delay the purchase of my '09 and wait for the '10s.

Good luck.
    A number of 09's will be there when the 2011's come out. Maybe longer. As I said - they will hold for msrp on 10's and steer the few buyers on the lot to deals on the 09's. the 10's will be few and far between. Loaded so the 09's look great. There will be no glut of 10's because production will be limited. There are so many 09's they will be around for at least a year. These are unprecedented times. As you said sit and watch for at least 6 months.
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    I got a reply today for a 09 Touring no RES for 32,495.00 - 1st email contact. Sad thing is the dealer is about 200 miles away, although they do have the color combo that I want. I think this is good news. I'm still 3 weeks from purchasing, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the other dealers have to say.
  • hftrphftrp Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    can u plz e-mail with the all he info, i do really thank you for you helping others getting good deals on autos.

regards.
    michael
    I know I said I'd wait till later in the year, but I went ahead an closed on a white EX-L 2wd in Los Angeles. We nicknamed him Marshmellow. Price was $29.9k + TTL w/ zero add ons. Some others quoted $450 cheaper, but were not interested in taking in my 05 Volvo S80. I was 2 to 3 months away from the warranty expiring and did not want to take a risk on keeping the car since my Volvo dealership looks like it could go under any day. A few tips and opinions I would like to share:

1. If you have a trade in that no one is interested in (e.g. Volvo, Saab, Land Rover, etc.) I would shop dealers now. Dealerships are very desperate to make deals and will take cars that the general public is not interested in. After I closed the deal, the assistant gm told me that he was taking a huge risk by purchasing my Volvo (They paid me mid KBB value). He said that he was paying $1k more than auction and the only reason that he agreed to take the car was that Honda would cut his allocation of popular models (Accords, Civics, Insights) if he doesn't show sales. Three other dealerships quoted me cheaper prices, but flat out told me there was not way they could buy my Volvo.

2. Don't assume that a bigger dealership will give you a better price. The biggest dealership in Los Angeles quoted me $500 over invoice. I found that insulting that they were charging $1.5k more than other dealerships.

3. I was able to get 5.99% financing from my credit union w/ $0 down. The dealership told me there was no way that they could beat my credit union and that many banks were requiring 1/3rd downpayment these days. If you plan to wait, keep in mind that car lending standards will probably get stricter and interest rates will probably continue to climb. The dealership told me that Pilots were not selling because most customers didn't qualify for financing.

4. Inspect your Pilot from head to toe before purchasing. It's a big car and not all defects are easy to spot. Don't let the dealership rush you. I missed a torn window seal and no owner's manual. The dealership was cool and agreed to fix both problems without any hassle.

5. I think the Pilot is extremely underrated. The reviews on the net are super harsh and people think you are an eco-terrorist if you purchase an SUV today. No hybrid holds 8 people and has the safety of a Pilot. Build quality is top notch and is an improvement from the old Pilot (I had leased an 05 EX for a couple of years). Test drive one and judge for yourself.

6. The internet manager told me that approximately 99% of internet requests do not lead to a sale. If you expect the dealer to give you a good deal, you have to act like a serious buyer. They will not take you seriously until you show up at the dealership. At that point, they will bend over backwards to try and close a deal.

7. I saw a lot of dealers that were quoting me a good price on a Pilot, but when going to there website noticed that every single one of their Pilot's had add-ons (alarm systems, factory accessories, etc.) I hate it when dealers do this. Mine didn't even bother to sell me on add ons.

Good luck. I'm taking Marshmellow camping this weekend. :shades:
    I doubt they'll be able to hold MSRP on the '10s. I haven't ever seen Honda hold MSRP on a non-hybrid vehicle in the last 20 years. Maybe the S2000 for a few months in the early days, but that was a limited production vehicle.

Honda announced that their Pilot production run will be reduced by 22,000 units. They were scheduled to produce 140,000 '10s. I don't see this reduction as something that will enable them to come close to holding MSRP. The demand drop to date has been 40%, and that's accelerating, so there should still be a glut of '10s. Sure they'll play their usual game early on, i.e. not releasing many of them, but how long can that last - a month at most?

I don't see any way that they can possibly hold MSRP on the '10s. I would tend to think that you will see large incentives on the '09s and $500 over on the '10s. That's at least $1.5k to the dealer on the '10s at that price level, and I can't see dealers (dealers who are currently starving) turning that down.

Their best bet at this point would be to incentivize the dealers right now to drop the price substantially on the '09s to get the inventory moving. The longer this fiasco goes on the worse things get. Praying for recovery is not really a good business strategy.

Good luck.
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I haven't ever seen Honda hold MSRP on a non-hybrid vehicle in the last 20 years.

The Odyssey's were very Hot in 2000 - 2004, and a number of those models held MSRP, and the 2000 models even had ADM.

Production cuts will eventually balance supply and demand. My guess is when the '10 are released there will be additional incentives to move the 09's. 09' was a major re-design, since the 10's will only offer minor changes - they will probably fetch a $1,000 - $1,500 premium over the 09's.

Honda's automobile division, unlike other manufacturers is only one piece of a very diverse manufacturing company. I wouldn't expect them to fall as fast as the D3.
  • h2dkh2dk Member Posts: 2
    I received a price quote via Costco.com from a local dealer

4WD Touring w/ RES $35,006 (he didn't have the color, but could get it)

I still have 2 more payments on my 06 Pilot lease, so I am planning on waiting until July to shop seriously. Other dealers have given me prices ranging from 35,500 to 38,000 for the same vehicle. One is offering to buy me out of my lease, I'll find out today what the offer will be. I had one tell me the bottom line price was 35,700 but he had to add his profit to that. I balked at that, but had my wife with me and she wouldn't allow me to "disagree" with him. :)
    In PA the Odyssey never held MSRP. They might've tried it on with clients that were not too saavy (the "this model is so hot you can't even test drive it" routine, like Acura tried with the MDX). Maybe in 2000, before 9/11, in certain markets for a month they demanded MSRP. Not much after that. Not sure where you are from. Obviously what we are in now certainly isn't the 2000-2004 market. I doubt that they would try to hold MSRP on the '10s for even two weeks.

In addition, $1500 over the '09s will not be anywhere close to the MSRP on the '10s. $1500 over on the '09s would likely be well under invoice on the '10s. I don't think you'll see that much under invoice, but $500 over invoice 1-2 months after the '10s are out seems likely, especially if there is a $3000+ incentive on the '09s, which seems probable at this point.

I have the car and it's pretty good. I would advise anyone who is considering purchasing one to take into consideration that this car is not good in the city, and the gas mileage is not very good. It's a well built automobile, competent but not thrilling. There is a good washington post article about the '09 Pilot which is worth reading if you are considering this vehicle. I knew about these problems before purchasing, and you should too if you are going to purchase this truck.

Good luck to all.
  • windknotwindknot Member Posts: 3
    I visited my local dealer in Greenville, NC and the quote I got for a 2009 LX 4wd was $26,088. + tax, tags, and title. How does this quote sound to others? I have not seen the invoice yet.
  • goofagoofa Member Posts: 2
    This was my first quote from a local Honda dealer on a 2009 Pilot AWD EX-L with a list of $35,965.00, I was quoted 31,039.00 + TTL. What say you?
    Too high ... you can lower to around 30,000.
  • gkarabangkaraban Member Posts: 1
    Checked online w/some local dealers and the best offer so far for an EX-L w/RES is $31,281 plus dest/hand, doc, titles, & taxes. I see there has been talk of '10 editions coming out and excess inventory in the market. Naturally, the dealer told me there are only a few EX-L's out there. Not sure if I should wait out for the '10's or make a lower offer. Any suggestions? I don't have to buy now but I sure would like to. The AC on our 2nd car just died.
  • sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    give them lower offer. you can do better. try paramus honda's internet dep. they will make a deal.2 weeks agao i picked up same model for 31740 in long island that includes dest and doc. i was working with someone in paramus honda. my dealer in long island beat their quote. which is better for me i didn't have to travel to get my pilot.the only thing i paid on top of that is $230 for plates/reg/title and plus tax. overall your number is still good. i am assuming its 4wd .
  • blkpilotblkpilot Member Posts: 2
    I normally don't post but seeing that I read everyone's for tips and ideas it is only fair that I write my experience.

I got a 09' EXL Pilot 4WD for 30,000 base BUT we also picked up a 09' Civic Hybrid for 22,000 base - not sure if that matters or if we got a deal.

Someone else on here suggested group buys to save money - I totally agree. At the end of the day, the same dollar can either stay in your pocket or the dealerships- not sure about you but I prefer it stays in mine. My salesman was pretty cool and I would recommend him
  • rjarvisrjarvis Member Posts: 1
    Got the following deal offered in Tampa FL

2009 EX-L Base

MSRP 34,265
    Sales 30,200
    Down 1,000
    Residual 48%
    MF .00151
    36 months 12K miles
    Payment $432 pre tax

Not too keen on the down over 1st payment but might be applying to TTL etc. What is the current Dealer Cost (profit) on these leases?

I have been working with the on-line lease calculators and a similar excel spread but can't seem to get back to their pmt. Would indicate they are adding something but not disclosing.

Have been working with them several days and this seems like their bottom.

Leaning toward sitting still till next month (Memorial Day Specials) to see if it gets better. Can believe it will get worse.

Any thoughts?
  • rekflarekfla Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote of $467 (OTD) a month on 2009 EX with 0 down, 12,000 miles/yr. Also west coast of FL.
  • rasprasp Member Posts: 3
    I got a deal for $ 620 ( with tax) per month lease for 39 months. 15000 miles.
    for 4WD- touring model.
  • theworkztheworkz Member Posts: 10
    I just bought an 2009 EXL Cherry with Black Leather in the Portland Metro area on Friday for $29,999. Since Oregon doesnt have sales tax, my out the door costs for registration/dmv was only $218. So, my total was $30,217. It took some haggling and holding my ground on the price, but I was able to get it. No one should be paying MSRP. THe MSRP on mine was $36k.