Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    I had a sort of similar situation, but I wasn't quite as far down the road as you. I was supposed to go in Friday at 12:30pm to check out a demo touring that I had been quoted at $35,500. I got a call at 11:30am telling me they had sold the car. I had told my wife the night before that I would buy if they could get to $32K or so on it. They guy told me it sold for less than $33K. While I was bummed, it's kind of a you snooze you lose type of deal. My fault for taking a laid back approach to getting in to see the vehicle. Again, not the same situation as you, but still kind of stunk. The internet sales guy was kind of bummed too as he didn't get credit for the sale, it was sold by one of the "normal" sales guys. The 2009 Pilots are going pretty quick around here. I don't think there will be many left soon. Sales guy told me lots of current large suv owners using cash for clunkers government money to buy - that's $4500 dollars I don't qualify for (but indirectly pay for with my tax dollars, which ticks me off even more, but that's a discussion that suppose belongs elsewhere :)) In any case, I'd say give them one chance to gain your business with a super deal on your terms, otherwise go somewhere else.
  • jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    A little more follow up on the experience. We went to a few dealers in the area and there are not a lot of Touring models available or even Pilots. A few of the dealers did not have any in stock. We finally found a dealer but they did not have the colors my wife wanted. They offered a manager's car with very low mileage but my wife wanted completely new. As we were walking out the door they said they will find one at invoice from another dealer.

JC
    The salesman I talked to yesterday said he was going to buy a 2010 for he and his wife in a few weeks, and he was buying it at invoice from the dealer he worked at, of course. He couldn't do any better than that, so that seems to line up with your experience as well. This early in the model year, getting one at invoice is probably not a bad deal.
  • nightowlmollynightowlmolly Member Posts: 2
    Not rock bottom price, per this board, but I'm very satisfied with the deal we got as as these are hard to find in my area (plus I got my first color choice combination!) and overall, the great prices some of you get on the East and West coasts are not to be found nearby...well, actually, my best regional quotes for the 4WD EXL-s were from the outer Chicago area.

Anyway after all was said and done, we decided on the 4WD Touring w/o RES and got it for: $34092 + TTL

We were first looking at a 4WD EX-L and were leaning toward getting one with RES - simply because we couldn't find one without in a color we wanted. After getting back to the very straight forward and nice Sales Manager at Community Honda in Waterloo, IA - I found out he had this sitting on his lot and we decided to upgrade to the Touring.

It is so much fun to drive - it has WAY more than I even knew with all the technology and I've been having a blast "talking" to it! :) DEFINITELY worth the difference in price, especially for those like me who keep their cars for 10 + years!
  • carsalesman2carsalesman2 Member Posts: 22
    Sounds to me like you had options to consider but never committed to the dealer that you would buy. Therefore, its still for sale. The dealer cant wait around for you when they have a buyer in front of them. That car costs money every day it sits there and they cant hold it on a maybe. The good news is next time you'll know. :)
  • carsalesman2carsalesman2 Member Posts: 22
    Kelly, hows the Pilot inventory out there?
  • aln1aln1 Member Posts: 23
    I won't trust what the salesman is saying.
  • rayzamrayzam Member Posts: 11
    Hi again guys,
    My search for an 09 EX-L (2WD with RES) is still underway, but today I received a call from one of my dealers saying that they ran out of 09 models and they can give me a 2010 EX-L (2WD with RES) for $31K (destination included) plus tax and fees. I usually keep my cars for long-term, so the newer model year doesn't matter for me that much, but this prices is just a few hundred more than the best confirmed quotes I got on 09 models. Opinions?

Thanks!
  • honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    Well, no, we didn't have a deposit down, but we had been calling all day to get a finance quote, and kept getting "they'll call you back", even to speak with our salesman. We were also calling to give them the deposit, as well as see what they would give us for an APR, which is what really sucks--no one would take nor return our call. What else could we have done except drive down to the showroom, which wasn't possible as we were both at work. It just sucks, and it really soured our views about buying something from this dealer. At the end of the day, due to our relationship with the dealer didn't he at least owe us (a) the courtesy of a quick return phone call (b) the courtesy of a heads up that someone else was interested? We had indicated we wanted the car, and were taking the steps to get the car. Without their help what else could we have done?

And I am not sure how much the dealer's personal car costs them to keep. (What is the deal there--since it isn't registered and is off the floor, is is really technically on their floor plan?) Maybe someone can explain the whole demo model phenomenon and the true cost behind that?
    I understand you're frustrated and angry but they are in the process of making money so they could have been delaying returning your call because they were 'working' the other buyer. The other buyer obviously was willing to pay a higher price or else they would have ditched him/her and responded to you. Like I said if they made their money. When a dealer can make more money somewhere else, they will.

Just cool down and take a breather because it is very easy to now latch on to something you may not like or even paid a higher price on. Take it easy. If it's gone it's gone. Reevaluate what model you wanted when you started your search and follow up on the negotiation until you reach your price. If not, like I said, be prepared to walk away.

On the financing thing, I always make sure to secure the best financing interest rate before I go in. Then if the dealers will beat it, I will take theirs, if not, I just sign for the car and use my own financing. When you are ready to buy and is sitting at the table, and they can beat your financing to make some money, you bet they will so always get something in your hand.

Good luck on your search.
  • inthistogetherinthistogether Member Posts: 9
    Bank of America has good finance rates on auto right now that ALL dealers will beat to keep your business and the finance $$$$
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    AAA auto club has low rates ... sample

Massachusetts
    4 .35%
    Rhode Island
    4 .25%
    Connecticut
    4 .74%
    All good points. Thanks all. But, yes, very frustrating indeed!
  • franklwfranklw Member Posts: 46
    I have noticed the supply for 2009 Pilot is disappearing very quickly in So. Cal. It seems that the price for 2010 Pilot is moving closer to 2009. I had one dealer offered me invoice for 2010 EX-L without negotiation. I also got two emails that offered me $30,559 and $31,468 (MRSP $34,555.00). Post 13224 got 2010 EX-L for 30100 in Atlanta and post 13236 had an offer of 2010 EX-L (2WD with RES) for $31K (this price is insane for 2010 without any known factory incentive at this time). I am in the market for Pilot EX-L and I could not find the color I wanted so I have decided to wait few months for 2010, hopefully we will see some incentive soon for 2010.
    That's a great price for 2010. May I ask what dealer is it? Please let us know how it went if you purchased you Pillot there. Thanks
    Where in ATL did you get this? I'm shopping around now - looking for 4wd Ex-L w/ RES, Running Boards and Aftermarket Bluetooth.

Best quote so far I've received was 35,200 +TTL (not even close to what I want to pay -- this is the amt. I want to pay for OTD)

I think I need to wait for some incentives to kick in.
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    I got it from Curry Honda in Chamblee, GA. Just do your negotiation by email to save time. Positive experience overall.
    As no incentive for 2010 model, for the EXL FWD MSRP 34,555, I would offer invoice 31,368 - 300 (portion of holdback) = 31,068
    Hopefully you can find 1 willing to sell after emailing 'at leat 10 dealers'.

Dealer Invoice Base Price $30,658
    Destination Charge $710
    Total Options $0
    Total Price $31,368
    With or without RES? I say you can probably do better than that price. Ask the many dealers you have in contact with to lower their price and the see what you can get.
  • frommx5tomz3frommx5tomz3 Member Posts: 19
    Last week we were able to get this vehicle for $34,299 + TTL (no dealer doc fees or other markup). There wasn't much selection on the lot, but they happened to have a color combo we wanted and the price seemed pretty aggressive for a 2010 ($1,400 below Edmunds invoice and nearly $4,500 below Edmunds TMV). To be fair, they gave me about $900 less than I expected on my trade-in, so they probably made up some ground there, but I still feel like we got a pretty good deal. Hope this info helps some of you out there.
  • mike1112mike1112 Member Posts: 9
    Is this a good deal for 2009 2WD EX-L w/o RES?
    Price - 29,188
    Dealer Fee - 349
    + NC Tax and Title
    OTD 30,500

Edmunds website is not showing $1500 MTD which is suppose to expire on 7/6. Are they still there or gone forever. Any insights about new incentives?
  • chicagoan1chicagoan1 Member Posts: 7
    $29K + $670 dest + ttl in Chicago area for 2009 4WD EX-L w/o RES including wheel locks & mats. Thanks to all who posted.
  • sw286sw286 Member Posts: 6
    Hi chicagoan1,
    can you tell me which dealership you got this deal in chicago ?

thanks a lot
  • chicagoan1chicagoan1 Member Posts: 7
    Sent out eight requests for quotes and Schaumburg Honda and Honda of Lisle provided the best pricing. Bought from Schaumburg. Both dealers were a pleasure to deal with, very courteous, friendly and knowledgeable.
  • teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    I am looking to buy a 2010 Pilot EX-L. Has anyone purchased a Pilot in N.C. or had any experience with negotiating with any of the N.C. dealers? What type of quotes were being provided and were the dealers easy to deal with?

Several posters have indicated receiving pricing at or near invoice pricing. Is it possible to get around that in the North Carolina area?

Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide.

Durham, NC
    Check to see if you can get lower or check on a 2010 for comparison.
  • dtvdtv Member Posts: 8
    Bought an 09 EXL 4WD from Honda of Lisle (in Chicago area) for 29,200 including destination but not TTL. Best buying experience so far.
  • mike1112mike1112 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody know what the new incentives are for 2009 & 2010 Pilots?
    A dealer just told me that Honda delayed the release of the new incentives until tomorrow.
  • cszulccszulc Member Posts: 33
    Was just told the current ones are extended through end of business day tomorrow.

What is the current dealer cash on the 09 Pilot? I think it was $1500 but wanted to make sure.
  • imzeppyimzeppy Member Posts: 7
    Word i got too was that $1500 is correct on the current incentives originally set to expire 7/6 but extended at least 1 more day.
    Is there also some type of additional "hidden" dealer incentive (volume-based?) because it seems the 09s on here are getting sold for less than INVOICE MINUS HOLDBACK MINUS $1500 Cash.

My best offer is at $30,499 on a 09 EXL 4WD w/o RES. Trying to mimic the deal chicagoan got. Contacted Lisle and waiting to hear back from them.
  • 2010meister2010meister Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who post. I've been following the board, and thought I'd return the favor. Bought a 2010 Touring w/out res in Chicagoland North suburbs for $35,200 (incl. dest.) + TTL. Got quotes ranging from $500 over invoice to $500 under (which is the deal I took). Had an offer for the same vehicle 2009 model for $32,900+TTL, but decided to go with the 2010 in case I want to sell sooner than I think.
    That's a good question re: some other incentives. I've asked myself the same thing because I also got an offer on same model (09 EXL 4WD w/o RES) for $30.5K in so. california. Not sure of the answer.
  • soxsucksoxsuck Member Posts: 3
    $32900 +TTL for a 2009 Touring? That is fantastic, $3000 below invoice. Which dealer offered that?
    I went in to buy 2009 Pilot EX-L at a dealer in Los Angeles on July 4. The manager told me that he could not match a lower price due to "special dealer incentive" expires on June 30. He showed me his book that has an extra $1000 for the Pilot along with $1500 cash bach and dealer hold back. This is my math 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L MSRP $342**.00; invoice $31500-$1500 cash back=30000-dealer hold back (3%?)=$29000 (+/-); $29000-$1000=$28000??. Couple of dealers offered me 28,0**.00 for 2009 EX-L before June30. They did not have color I want. I called those two dealer after June30, one sold out 2009 and the other one increased their price by $500. This is purely my guess.
    Gotcha, so the $1500 stayed, but the $1000 extra is gone right now. The most probable situation.

I guess I'm going to jump on my offer at $29,719.00 with destination today.
    $29.7K is OK for 2009 EX-L but I would bargain a little $300-500 off that; unless they are the only one that has the color that you want. $300-500 is not much for what you spend but to me, it's enough for a few oil change and 30K service. I don't need a new car right away so I am holding out for 2010. I notice that 2009 and 2010 prices are closing the gap (based on some of the prices reported in this forum). I guess as soon as Honda offers incentives for 2010, you probably won't see much of the diffrence in price. No body knows when Honda will release new incentives for 2010, hopefully soon with this economy.
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    I have a ton of experience with this! We spoke with dealers all over nc, and some in VA and SC. The ones we negotiated with were based on availability of the one we wanted. Overall impressions: Autopark, Flow, and Hendrick/Charlotte were very good to negotiate with. We bought ours from Bryan and did not have a great experience there. Crown Southpoint was OK but they never had a touring, which is what we wanted. Ask if you have any more questions!
  • acadia2009acadia2009 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, meant to get this out earlier... After carefully considering the 2009 models (EXL w/ RES and Touring with Nav and RES) and weighing several factors, I bought a 2010 FWD Touring with Nav and RES in Chicago. Unlike my experience with my Acadia search, the Internet sales teams at Chicago-area Honda dealerships were really easy to work with and willing to deal. I ended up buying the first 2010 model and paid $36,200 + TTL. I have to say I was initially scared off 2010's by the prognosticators on this forum, who thought cost would come in near MSRP, but that wasn't the case. My wife and I love this car. It has everything.
    Quoted $37,851 for 2010 4WD with RES Touring model. We were told that because they had the only 4WD model in the area, they would not go below invoice +700. Having a tough time negotiating this down, but because we are in the south, 4WD is under-stocked. No one else within 50 miles has this car. May be able to get him to 37,500, but not much more without incentives kicking in. Was thinking of adding running boards as we have small kids--quoted $718 installed, which is lower than a few dealers we checked with. Any thoughts on the car price or on the necessity of the running boards?

Price $37,851 incl dest. plus Doc fee $591 (all area dealers throw out this number) then plus 7% sales tax puts the OTD just under 41k.
    At this point I think you are pretty much at their mercy on the price given limited 4WD availability in your area. They must be pretty confident they can sell it to someone else without giving much up. I'm looking at a 2009 4WD Tour w/ RES in my area and they flat out said they won't dealer trade or give more than invoice less the $1500 dealer cash because they know they have one of the only ones remaining here (and it's been on the lot since December last year!). Might be worth checking outside the 50 mile range to see if you can get one for invoice and save $700. 200 miles doesn't seem too out of the way to save that kind of money.

As far as running boards go, I'd say save the $718 for now and see how you do without them. If you determine you need them later, add them - no hurry to have it done right now. They look cool, but I don't know how functional they really are, even with little kids. I have a 4Runner and a 3 and 5 year old and most of the time we just pick them up and put them in the car. You might be able to find an aftermarket version you can have installed cheaper later on.

Unless there is something else included, a doc fee of $519 seems crazy! One dealer I talked to said they have a flat $99 doc fee, no other advertising adders, etc. I can't imagine paying $519 for a doc fee - they must have some kind of advertising fee included. Is that some kind of state regulated number, seems odd all the dealers throw out the same number - illegal collusion??
  • 2010meister2010meister Member Posts: 2
    Pauly Honda in Libertville. It's 4wd, which I didn't mention in my initial post.
    So cszulc, you were able to beat your previous offer of $30,499 on a 09 EXL 4WD w/o RES by $800??? Just curious how you were able to do that? I can't get the same below $30.5K in so. cal. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Also, does anyone know what the new incentives, if any, are?

Thanks for the help.
  • teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    I have talked by phone with Henrick/Charlotte and spent the afternoon at Crown Southport. They were very friendly and helpful but did not have the car that I wanted on their lot. I am looking for a 2010 EX-L 2 wheel drive in the Dark Cherry Pearl with beige interior. That had one with the black interior which, of course, they tried to get me interested in. They found the car that I wanted at another dealer but wanted around $500 added to the price that they said would be their cost of the dealer trade. So I will try to find a dealer that has my preferred car on their lot.

Also, they were quite a bit more expensive out the door than some of the prices that I am seeing in some of the buying experience/pricing forums. My question to you is, after getting prices from the different dealers, did any of them follow up with you offering better pricing? If so, which dealer?

Also, you mention Autopark and Flow. Where are those dealers located?

Where is the Bryan dealer and what was the negative experience that you had with them? Would you recommend against dealing with them?

Thanks for any help that you can give me. I don't like shopping for new cars!

TeoteeBob
    Durham, NC
  • metalprofmetalprof Member Posts: 7
    So I got a message this morning from my local dealer saying that Honda had pulled all of the incentives on the Pilot. Anyone else hear the same thing? I'm still looking to buy a Black 2wd Pilot EXL w/o RES here in Kentucky, but there isn't one available for hundreds of miles around me.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Last incentive program ended last night.
    Dealers will get the info on the new incentive program today. Just be patient.
    teo

I found you two '10 EXL FWD ($34,515 MSRP incl. destnation charge) in Dark Cherry Pearl w/ Beige interior in NC area

Stock 17652 ($34,764) Gerry Wood Honda, Salisbury, NC (93 mi)
    Stock 10H10 ($34,515) Metro Honda of Union City, Indian Trail, NC (114 mi)
  • munkmunk Member Posts: 7
    Before the incentive disappeared today, I was quoted $32,295 for a 2009 EX-L RES from several local dealers here in MSP. I think I can do better. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm also looking at one in particular that's been a demo (it's got about 300 miles on it) and I'd like to think I can get it for $31,000 (w/out TTL). Thoughts?
    $32,295 is very high for what I have seen around here. Of course prices depend on region and local competition. While I was waiting for my 2005 Pilot to have minor service at the dealer in So. Cal yesterday, I spoke to a salesman in the internet department regarding 2009 Pilot EX-L RES. The invoice he showed me was a bit less than 33K (depend on destination charges since Honda recently increases dest. charge from $670 to $710 for our region. This is his math 33K (invoice)- $1500 rebate=31.5K- $700 2% hold back)=$30.8K, he said manager has to approve if the dealer will give you all of their hold back. He said he's seen deal where dealer gave an extra $300-500 on top of hold back on a good day....(aka the end of the month?). I haven't verify % of dealer hold back, I thought it's 3%?? anyone here knows? Any way, I don't suggest that you have to get the Your EX-L RES under 30K like I have seen but all I am saying is you can do much better than that especially if you are willing to travel outside of your region. Good luck.