Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• andy603andy603 Member Posts: 59
    there have been several recent posts within the past 3 weeks that cover 2010 Pilot lease prices, incentives (or lack thereof) etc. Do a search on either my name or just go back to around mid July and you'll see what you're looking for...but you wont like it. Lease rates are ridiculous and no incentives.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Pilots have not had a history of tranny failure. The affected V6s were on early 00-03 or so Odysseys & Accords. Then again, if you want to blame Pilots for problems on other Hondas 6-10 years ago, you might as well include sludge problems on other Toyotas from about the same time.
    This could be an LX (do you have radio controls on steering wheel? if so, it's an EX). That's a pretty good buyout price for an 06, with your mileage, imo. I'd buy it at that price.
    Twin cities dealers tend to not get any special incentives you might see on some Chicago area pricing. There's no dealer incentive on any Pilot right now, so invoice is pretty good (dealer making holdback). But, I'd wait til August to see what happens - Honda might restore incentives on holdover 09s at that point (to move them out as 2010 production cranks up).
  • munkmunk Member Posts: 7
    Thanks DBT. Local dealer told me Honda says there won't be any incentives in August. Maybe that will change? Maybe I should drive to Chicago and pick one up...
  • chicagoan1chicagoan1 Member Posts: 7
    It hard to believe there will not be further incentives to clear out the remaining 2009 EX-L's. At least in the Chicago area, inventories have not budged since the last round of incentives expired.
  • pdx22pdx22 Member Posts: 5
    >but whose going to buy a 2009 Pilot for $900 less than a 2010?

I am in the same boat - I've been waiting for the 2010's to show up to make a decision. I was surprised that the incentive disappeared on the '09's.

I will give it until Aug to see what happens (I wouldn't expect a salesman/dealership to know or tell me about Aug incentives) - but at this point would buy a 2010 for the little more it costs.

So no hurry. Can wait until Fall and see if there are incentives on the 2010. I'm also considering the new Chevy Equinox. Doesn't have the 3rd row seat, but gets great mpg, and there's a banner ad to the right of this for 1k bonus cash for non-GM owners.
  • jrmjrm Member Posts: 3
    Hi bxxxmartin,

Can you please tell me which dealership or area gave you this deal. I am trying to get dealers in my local washington metro area to match this.

Thank you.
  • metalprofmetalprof Member Posts: 7
    I kept hoping that I'd be able to get a good deal on an 09 Pilot EXL FWD. Never happened. Ultimately decided to keep looking. Test drove the Mazda CX-9, which they don't have many of in the KY area. Anyhow, we loved it. Bought an AWD (not FWD) 09 Mazda CX-9 Touring with Moonroof/Bose system for 28700. With TL of 500, and 1700 in taxes, came to 30913 OTD. Good luck hunting folks!
  • btwilli1btwilli1 Member Posts: 11
    I went to Premiere Honda in New Orleans, and their internet offer was 31,558 for a 2010 EX-L, no other extras.

I asked about the 2009 but he said the 2010 was an internet price and the lowest they could go, the 2009 he told me would be 31,000. He also said there were several 09' demo ex-l's and he would maybe give me an extra 1000 off if that. They had 6000 miles on them.

I said that's a half of year of depreciation almost, if you figure 12,000 miles. I told him I would say it would go for 28k or less. He almost laughed at me. There are no good leasing deals whatsoever. He admitted no incentives, maybe on August 4th to check back. Very frustrating. I guess i will wait
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Patience! The dealers want you to blink first!

I agree with you about the 2009 prices. The prices are inflated and if you buy at this price, YOU will end up eating the 2009 depreciation. It may be better to consider 2010 models.

However, if you can wait 4 to 8 weeks, the clearance will start in earnest AFTER August 25th. Contact all your local dealers within a 40 mile radius. Tell them upfront YOUR price expectation. Tell them you are a serious buyer if they can meet your price. Give them your phone number. You may just get lucky.

Please post your experience after you buy. Good Luck!
  • djsilverdjsilver Member Posts: 10
    I bought an EX last September and love it! However, I have come to regret not getting the EX-L. The research I have done suggests I may be able to trade in the 2009 for almost exactly what I paid for it (got an incredible deal!), if not even make a little money.

I want to hold off to see if there will be incentives on the 2010's, but worried the 2009 will start to lose its value more rapidly with 2010's rolling in.

Any thoughts/advice?

By the way, shopping around in SE Mass I'm getting quoted ~$29,500 for 2010 EX and ~$32,500 for EX-L.

Thank you!
  • losio0losio0 Member Posts: 1
    Doesn't make much sense to me. The holdback for honda is only 2% ( about $750 ) If invoice price on 2010 is $32814 and there is no known manufacturer to dealer incentives at the moment how they can sell below dealer price?
  • qelecqelec Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a 09 pilot. During the test drive we went on the highway, and about 40 feet in front of us, a car came to an abrupt stop. I hit the brake gradually thinking I had plenty of distance, but had to keep pressing harder until I was eventually pedal to the metal on the brake. I stopped 3 feet short of the car, but I now have no confidence in the stopping power of this vehicle in a real emergency situation. For all of you like me with an 18 month old daughter, I would seriously consider this large drawback on this vehicle before purchasing. I hope this information helps you guys.
  • tornadogtornadog Member Posts: 102
    I tested the stopping on the 2010 Pilot, and it was ok. THe stopping was the same as on my CRV. Maybe they improved it from the 09s. I paid 28970(price+destination) for the EX
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    gelec

try test drive another Pilot and see if the brake feeling same ... I always test drive the one I am going to buy as I don't buy the demo .
  • bxxxmartinbxxxmartin Member Posts: 9
    Hi, There were no dealers in the Baltimore area that would match the deal that I got at Bobby Rahal Honda in Mechanicsburg PA. It was about an hours drive, but well worth it. Hope that helps!
  • sodoi18sodoi18 Member Posts: 9
    what was the price and also the details on the car packages?

Thanks for sharing
  • burnsie1burnsie1 Member Posts: 1
    I also live in the Philly area and have been researching prices on the EX-L from beginning of June. Prices on the '09 were great until July 8th and then all the incentives were gone. Now I am thinking of a 2010 since the price isn't much different. I am not in a huge rush so I am going to see if there are any incentives in August.

Please keep posting - would like to hear what you decide and prices you finally get (and where). I will keep posting as well!
  • tutttutt Member Posts: 11
    The quote I got recently (Jul 24 2009) for 2010 EXL pilot is $34496 (OTD price) in Dallas area.

Please let me know if this a good price?

Thanks
  • aln1aln1 Member Posts: 23
    Why don't you break it down a little more? OTD means different things to different people in different states. 2WD? 4WD? With RES?
  • tutttutt Member Posts: 11
    Sorry, this is the 2WD without RES, $34496 is the final price, inclduing TT&L, adds, EVERYTHING.
    Thanks
    Was just quoted $35,500 OTD which includes TTL, cross bars, tow package and a $3500 credit for the cars program. Dealer tells me I must act now because funding will run out. Thoughts? Price for the same set up on a 2009 was $1500 less.
  • mistrymistry Member Posts: 5
    I got a internet quote from OPEN ROAD in Edison NJ.

2010 Pilot Touring with RES (DVD)
    $35,995 + 710 destination = $36,705 (b4 TTL)

I would need to add Tax, Tital and license.

I need to buy soon
    Any good finance deals out there? How about after August 1st

Thanks
    Seems high but I don't know what your tax percentage is (hard to imagine it's 15%?? gasp!). Without calculating tax, I got mine at $30,199.00 including dealer doc fee and destination but not TTL. Same 2010 EX-L 2WD without RES.
  • chreegchreeg Member Posts: 1
    What financing deals are folks seeing? I'm hearing 5.5-6% which is really high.
  • jmrealejmreale Member Posts: 2
    dj--
    where are you getting these quotes in SE mass? I'm looking for a 2010 EX-L and Herb Chambers (seekonk) would only go to 33,500 and said they were so busy they would sell the car at that price. Majestic Honda (RI) was at 32,914 and everywhere else (Colonial in Dartmouth and Bernardi and Boch) has yet to respond to my internet quote request. Maybe because the mass sales tax is going up this week?
  • teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    Did you actually buy at $30,199 (Incl. destination and Doc) + TTL or is that just a quote that you received? The best quotes that I have received are $31,483, $31,299 and $31,308, all with freight included but without TTL and DOC. I am located in central North Carolina. Inventory on the EX-L's is pretty slim and it doesn't appear that the dealers have received any for several weeks. I would think that you have an excellent price. What state and dealer did you deal with?
    I got mine at Pentagon Federal Credit Union at 3.99%. My local credit union also has 4.75%.
  • akplnjpeakplnjpe Member Posts: 6
    Check Bank of America @4.2% for 60 months or Capital One Bank (excelent service all via email- I used it before and highly recommend it)@4.79% for 60 months.
    Yes. I bought it - Fenton Honda, OK. I posted a few pages back on my experiences. I started out looking for a 2009 and was very specific on color, 2WD, EX-L and without RES. It's nice to have RES but I felt that I can do without RES and could also make do with 2WD. I would have bought at $28000.00 for a 2009 but lowest I got quotes on was $29,000.00.

I also looked at 2010. Quotes ranges from about $30,600 to $32,000. Some incl destination, some weren't clear. Looking at quotes I was getting on 2010, I could not justify buying a 2009 when I couldn't get the color I wanted. No $28,000.00 and no color means I don't buy the 2009. I can't tell you how many days I keep telling myself the prices I want before I even started getting quotes. Dealers are like wolves, I tell you. They can sense excitement and fear! LOL. I have seen it myself. So my bargaining is if no prices I want, then I don't buy.

I seriously believe I could have done better if I waited out more. I basically read pages here and what little I could find on the internet and arriving at what I felt others were paying. I think I am like a lot of people where I don't mind dealers making some profit but I don't want to be the one that pays the most. Who knows if all prices were real here but the ones at way higher than invoice and close to MSRP, I did not pay much attention to. Why try to match higher prices right?

No good prices (at least the number that I have in mind), means I don't buy. Maybe my reasoning is flawed or maybe others think I can do better but with what information I have, I felt it was fair.
  • ar15haymakerar15haymaker Member Posts: 5
    What do you guys think? I gave up on my mission to buy a Tahoe and now I am looking for a good price on a Honda Pilot.
    The best quote I have been able to get so far is ...
    $37,700.00 + tax & license - so whatdya think?

Invoice atm is $37,152.00 and that is including the honda $710.00 destination charge.

That comes out to $548.00 above invoice. So the dealer will be making 548.00 plus the 805.00 (2% MSRP) of honda "hold back" for a whopping total of 1,353.00 of profit.

Should I hold out for a lower price and possibly miss out on cash for clunckers ($3,500 for my $2,500 pickup truck)?
    This is the classic FUD strategy dealers use!

Funding will run out - thats a bunch of crock! Yes, the CARS program does have limited funds but the program just started. If the program is successful, Congress may inject new funds.

You should demand another $500 reduction. $35,000 is a good price.
  • f1fan6f1fan6 Member Posts: 4
    I got the 2010 Touring with DVD for $36,147 +TTL from a Baltimore area Honda dealer. As an aside, the dealership showroom/building is brand new and the salesperson and manager were very professional and efficient, a great experience overall with a great price!! Other dealers also used that "internet price" is the best price gimmick. It is not the best price.
  • f1fan6f1fan6 Member Posts: 4
    Oh yeah, also got 3.99% from Pentagon Federal Credit Union and we had just joined the same day. Anyone can join, look at the website. Good Luck
  • tommatetommate Member Posts: 4
    I live in the Orange County, CA area. I notice a lot of the dealers don't have a lot of Pilots on their dealer lots. I can't even find a 2010 Honda Pilot 2wd Touring White with Gray. Does anyone know why? Should I wait until Oct/Dec?
  • imzeppyimzeppy Member Posts: 7
    Got a quote in so. cal. for $31.2K + TTL. With all incentives on Pilots now gone this seems like the best in this area. Any thoughts on ability to get a lower price? I'm thinking of waiting to the end August for the 09s to get more attractive in price but not sure if that is going to happen. Any help is appreciated.
    Have you checked pricing on a 2010? My quotes have been about $1200 more compared with a 09. Seems like a better deal to get a 2010 based on depreciation, resale, etc. Local dealer tells me there most likely won't be any big incentives because honda is cutting production of 2010s by 30-40%, and with "high demand" there likely won't be big savings on either 09 or 10s. Anybody else heard anything similar? Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 2010 4wd exl with res plus ttl, cross bars, and tow pkg for 35,000, with a 3500 cars program discount. Any thought on this post?
    I agree. Compare with a 2010.
    Honda just put back an incentive on 09 Odysseys ($1250). Did anyone get a recent price drop on 09 Pilots, indicating restoration of the incentive?
  • djsilverdjsilver Member Posts: 10
    For 2009/2010 Pilot, any advice/experiences to share on the 2WD? I live in the northeast so 4WD will come in handy in the winter, but otherwise wondering if it's necessary, if no off roading is planned.

Thank
  • teoteebobteoteebob Member Posts: 16
    "Local dealer tells me there most likely won't be any big incentives because honda is cutting production of 2010s by 30-40%, and with "high demand" there likely won't be big savings on either 09 or 10s."

High demand so Honda is cutting production by 30-40%! Boy, does that ever sound like dealer talk to me. I have been watching the inventories of several dealers here in NC and none of the 2010 Pilots seem to be moving much at all. I am not interested in a 2009 but I don't think there is much selection left out there.

If Honda does cut the production of the 2010 Pilot by as much as 40%, I would predict that the 2010 Toyota Highlander (when it is made available) may take a lot of the Pilot's market. Therefore, I can't see them cutting that much.
    That was from the same dealer who told me to hurry because CARS funding would run out, then I hear that another local dealer submitted something like 70 requests for vouchers the last 2 days, all of which were rejected. What B.S. Seems like more typical dealer tactics.

FYI, dealer just told me there aren't any incentives on 2009 Odyssey's right now.
  • fib77fib77 Member Posts: 10
    Please provide the name of the Honda dealer in Baltimore and the sales person/Manager who gave you that price. Thanks.
  • ar15haymakerar15haymaker Member Posts: 5
    So here is where I am at. Pretty much all but signed the papers. Tell me what you think.

2010 4WD Honda Pilot Touring w/RES -
    $37,515.00 (this is dealer invoice) - Price for car
    $3,475.72 - 9.25% CA sales tax
    $467 - license fee
    $8.75 - Tire Fee
    $28.00 - DMV Fee
    $55 - Doc Fee
    $41549.47 - Out the door
    Invoice is now higher as given by the dealer? Did they offer their infamous protection package for $363? I say try to shoot for below invoice.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    In SoCal, and hoping to buy a LX or EX-L FWD no RES or NAV with my clunker. Anyone getting good quotes? I am getting $25.5K (LX) and $31K (EX-L) with my USAA discount. Was hoping to get another $2K off. Any hope or ideas?

Leased a 06 EX-L and whole family loved it.
  • sdp1sdp1 Member Posts: 4
    In Atlanta, GA I was quoted the 2010 Touring w/ Nav & RES for $35,000 plus tax, title and $600 in dealer fees. Is this a good deal?

Thanks
    $600 in dealer fees??! What a rip-off. This is the icing on top of dealer profit.

Tell dealer that $35,000 should include the $600 or else you wont buy. When you say this...make sure you are convincing and believable.

They will end up splitting the difference with you. Let us know how it turned out.
  • sweetrivrbanessweetrivrbanes Member Posts: 4
    Also, beware that they're not telling you about the $710 destination fee, which they might bring up the day you show up to buy.