Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• likepilotlikepilot Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Yes, it is excellent deal.
    Can share the residual value of the LX you got.
    if possible the the distribution of fees you paid in $1000.

Thanks.
  • ct44ct44 Member Posts: 8
    For what it's worth, be careful on the remote starter. I got my Honda Pilot in Brewster NY with a remote starter added at my request, and they installed the cheapest one there is - no two way communication to know if the vehicle has started on not, and it used up the valet key when now most systems can be programmed as to not require a key left in the remote starter. Good luck with your car!
  • gocowboys13gocowboys13 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks ct44, that's a good point, I think I will go for the honda version for the remote starter as my wife wants for her car and it has a two way communication built in it...
  • justpilot4wdjustpilot4wd Member Posts: 3
    Seem that it start from mid 27k. Have anyone able to get one at below 28k ?
  • carbuyer142carbuyer142 Member Posts: 2
    I think this is a fake post by someone from PlanetHonda, not an actual car buyer.

1. I checked the inventory and was told when I got there that the Blue LX listed as in stock on the website was sold a few days before I arrived. I also called before heading over and was told that it was in stock.

2. The average figure you cite is for a Honda lease, which is 12K/yr. not 10k/yr. The fact that the ad is misleading is what makes it reprehensible. Telling people responding to your ad that they should know a lease offer is too good to be true is disingenuous (it's also criminal).

IT'S ALSO WHY THIS HONDA DEALER HAS BEEN REPEATEDLY CHARGED BY THE NJ STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR FRAUDULENT ADVERTISING. IN FACT THE OWNER WAS FORCED TO SHUT DOWN AND REOPEN AT THIS LOCATION DUE TO THE VOLUME OF NEGATIVE PUBLICITY RELATED TO FRAUDULENT ADS. TRY GOOGLING IT.

3. Yeah. You can just decline fees. Okay. The salesman I spoke with said the fees were mandatory and required by the 3rd party leasor (both lies). He offered $700 off in total, but said that was only if he could somehow get his manager to agree to it. I know the fees are [non-permissible content removed] and the intention is to make customers spend all day going back and forth fighting to get them removed. That's a really [non-permissible content removed] way to run a new car dealership is my point.

4. The salesman was belligerent. His goal was to browbeat and intimidate me to make a sale. Your attitude that I should expect to be abused when I buy a car and should cut the saleman slack because of the economy and his inexperience is assinine. When I leased my car from a dealer down the road, the entire negotiation took 15 minutes. I told them what I wanted to pay, they came back with something very close, we split the difference (which was $5/mo.) and I signed the papers.

I think I got a very good lease as well. I also got the 4WD LX not the 2WD.
  • tjzoernertjzoerner Member Posts: 5
    I just got a quote for a Pilot EX-L 2WD with Navi for $34,500 + TTL. This seems to be the best price I can find in Austin (quote is from San Antonio). Does this seem like a good price?

The other quote was for a Pilot EX-L for $32,625 + TTL. Again, is this a good price?

Any chance you think I could get the price lower or get extras added?

Thanks.
  • nj550inj550i Member Posts: 20
    hmmm.....are you working for Route22Honda and trashing your competitor? (lol - j/k).

No, this is not a fake post. I'm an actual buyer. As I mentioned in the prior post, I bought the Ridgeline on 1/2/12 @ Planet Honda. I'm here in this Pilot forum to provide information for forum members of the deal I received for my sister's 2012 Pilot Touring (See post# 15027 - 12/20/11). Again, let me emphasize I'm here to learn, help & assist, not to critic or debate anyone.

1) Good that you checked their inventory. Calling them is useless, because they'll say yes to everything, then when you walk in - they don't have what you want.

2) Based on your knowledge of Planet Honda's reputation, the 2.5 stars they received in the Edmunds' dealer reviews (some are pretty bad reviews) and your understanding of the bait-n-switch ad - Why would you even think of going to that dealership? If I knew all that information before hand and I never dealt with Planet Honda, I would not set foot in that dealership. You have to admit, you took the bait ($229 monthly lease payment) but didn't like the switch they did on you. I would say the main surprise was this is not a Honda lease. The closest Honda dealer is 3 miles from my house and I would not set foot in that dealership for purchase - only for service.

As for the legal problem of Planet Honda - I'm way ahead of you. I was part of a class action lawsuit against Planet Honda - "Dawn Mohrle v. Timco Inc. d/b/a Planet Honda." This is due to my Pilot lease back in 2005. This past Saturday, I received a final notice of the class action settlement. This is what I received under the settlement:
    a) a $15 Cash Certificate.
    b) a $100 Service/Parts coupon or 4 oil change voucher.

3) As for the fees, I don't play the back & forth game - I told my salesman either take out the fees or I'll walk. As for the $229 lease - those fees must be in the $4500 range. Hey at least you didn't end up @ the finance office - you would have a field day. They offer 5 or 6 warranty/maintenance packages. I was cordial and listen to all the packages - at the end, I declined. The finance guy told me today is the only day you can buy the Honda Care warranty. I told him - NO - the last day I could buy the Honda Care warranty is 12/31/2014.

4) My attitude is NOT for car buyers to be abused by salesman, should never happen. I have my fair share of rude, obnoxious, arrogance, racist salesmen. I'm an owner of several retail businesses and I always preach to my staffs - #1 Priority - "Customer Service". Why cut them some slack - I have seen customers that are rude and belligerent to my employees and they don't deserve that kind of treatment. That is where I step in. In your case, you have to do what is right for you.

Here is a part of an email I received from the internet manager - "Just ask for me when you stop by and I'll be certain to get you one of our better salepeople, to save you some time." I guess there is some truth to that statement.

One last important point. After I wrote my reply to your post, I received an email from a customer service representative from Planet Honda. She thanked me for my purchase and my response to your post. She also mentioned Planet Honda reached out to you and extended their apologies. They were willing to work with you on the Pilot, but you had already purchased from Route22Honda. So, If they did reach out to you and apologize, then I have to say that is "Customer Service".

Anyway, Congrat again and enjoy your Pilot. I know my wife and son are enjoying their new Ridgeline. If we ever meet, drinks on me! :)
  • hunterpilothunterpilot Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Just got an off from a dealer in for a EX-L as follows: $379 (including tax). $3000.00 down. They threw in a roof rack, mats and 2 oil changes. They used 55% residual and .00075 money factor on their worksheet. I tried to negotiate lower but they refused. I called a competitior who told me to take the deal. The cap cost that they appeared to be using was $30,984 after rebates and CCR(wich i didn't understand). What do you all think?
  • hunterpilothunterpilot Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from the dealer. He also used .00075 and a 55% residual. This was for a 15,000 mile lease 36 month for an EX-L. $379 including tax and $3 grand down. I negotiated lower but they refused. I am still trying to figure out if this is a good deal. I posted these figures to the board for feed back.
  • mindawgmindawg Member Posts: 2
    This is offer I got today. Does it make sense? Payments seems high:

MSRP- 41630.00
    Invoice price- 37771.34
    Sale price- 37032.00
    2 Flex cash cert. (250) (500.00) taxable
    Internet sales price- 36532.00
    Doc fee- 161.39
    Lic and title- 219.00
    Sales Tax- 2605.29
    City tax- 7.50
    Total- 39525.18

Money Factor- 0.00075 Super pref. rate to qualified buyers
    Residual- 22063.90

36 month lease 12k per year
    549.00 per month with first payment of 549.00 due at lease signing
  • hapeacreshapeacres Member Posts: 4
    what did u receive for trade in?
  • jpelletierjpelletier Member Posts: 12
    There isn't much activity on the thread with this name so I come here looking for some figures. For years it seems like people are very pleased or very unhappy with the MPG. We are looking at a Pilot and wonder if anyone can share some recent MPG consumption on the 2012 AWD Pilot?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    I own a 2011 Pilot EXL w/ NAV 4WD. I bought it in May 2011. I currently have about 12,000 miles on it. So I'm well past the 2 traditional "engine break in points" of 5K & 10K miles. We LOVE our Pilot. The ride, the ulitity, the passenger room, the cargo room are all fantastic. The gas mileage is just awful. My wife gets maybe 15.5 driving around town. We usually get about 360 miles per tank. I just took a weekend trip from our house in Stamford, CT to Pittsburgh, PA (about 400 miles each way). I averaged about 17.5 mpg for the entire trip. Cruise was set at 75 going there and 65 coming home. My best tank was a little over 19 mpg & that was literally driving the Pilot as if it was a hypermiling Prius (Set cruise at 60, let everybody pass you...)

The thing is, whether you get 12 mpg (my wife driving all city miles during break in), my PB 19.2 mpg, or even the EPA sticker claim of 22 mpg, it costs the same amount to fill the Pilot up every week.

Don't let the Pilot's poor gas mileage send you fleeing to another marquee's dealership. We do LOVE it. In our mind, there was no better 3 row, 4WD SUV out there.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jpelletierjpelletier Member Posts: 12
    Thanks! We have been loyal to the Honda brand and currently have an 03 Odyssey and an 09 4cyl Accord. Had an 07 V6 Accord just before the current one and I was REALLY disappointed in the sub 20 MPG it consistently provided. I felt like I was feeding the thing constantly!

We will frequently do 300 mile round trips to another state so as much as I would love to get the pilot for the third row and was convinced last night it was the vehicle for us, we might have to settle with an Outback and forgo the extra person space. I guess I need to look at the Highlander as it seems like Toyota owners don't gripe as much about the MPG. I do love the lack of complexity when negotiating for a Honda but I'm equally as frugal when it comes to looking at the fuel gauge.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    We have a 2011 EX-L 2WD with about 12,500 miles on it. When we bought it (new... I think it had 12 miles on it), I reset both of the trip odometers (which also show fuel economy). Since then, I have reset one at every fill-up and left the second alone. So effectively, I have a "vehicle lifetime" MPG figure and a "per-tank" MPG figure. The "lifetime" figure currently reads 18.6 MPG (i.e. my avg. MPG since purchasing the vehicle). The "per-tank" MPG number has steadily improved since we purchased the vehicle. Initially, we were getting 16-17 MPG. Now, we get 19-20 MPG. We've gotten "per-tank" figures as high as 23+ MPG on trips with nothing but highway driving. (Note that these figures are for 2WD.)

All that said, I agree wholeheartedly with nyccarguy. We couldn't be happier with our Pilot. The buying experience, the service experience, the quality, the room, the ride... It's all been very good with very few complaints! We tried to talk ourselves into seriously considering something else, but we kept coming back to the Pilot.

Unless you're looking at a substantial improvement in mileage on some other vehicle, I would recommend the Pilot.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    The Pilot is our 3rd Honda as well. It is my wife's DD. We bought it primarily for the room. We have 3 children 5 1/2, 3, & 2 months. They are all in child safety seats. The Pilot allows us to seat all 3 of them in the 2nd row, leaving the 3rd row stowed away for cavernous cargo room. There's even a set of LATCH anchors in the 3rd row where the boys (5.5 & 3) like to sit. I also bought it for the reliability, it's a Honda after all. 4WD was a top priority for me too.

Don't write the Pilot off due to its abismal gas mileage. You should drive it back to back with its competition. You are a Honda guy & might not like the softer ride of the Highlander (which is 10" shorter than the Pilot).

Read the consumer reviews here on edmunds. Everybody who owns a Pilot really loves it.

The other 2 Hondas in my current stable:

2010 Black/Ebony Acura TSX w/ Tech pkg 5AT (47K miles)
    2001 Milano Red/Black Honda Prelude Type SH 5MT (145K miles)

Good luck & let us know what you decide.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• irishys17irishys17 Member Posts: 30
    Hi,
    I'm looking for the February money factor & residual value on the Honda Pilot EX-L W/Navigation. Does Honda have any customer loyalty or customer incentives going on now?
    What would be considered a good monthly payment on this vehicle.

We currently have a 2009 Pilot EX -L without navigation that we're probably paying too much for (385.00/month). This lease is up in March.

Any and all help/information is appreciated
    BTW: I agree with the poster about Planet Honda. We went there in 2009 and were given such a huge runaround (including lies & stall tactics) that we left. Went up the road to VIP Honda and were told the price we wanted was "unrealistic". We were long term Honda customers with excellent credit. We left there as well. Continuing further up route 22 we walked into Autosport HOnda and within 10 minutes we had an even better price than what we were asking for! We're heading back to Autosport Honda on Rt. 22 in Bridgewater NJ.
  • kwalowkwalow Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2012 EX-L 4WD Pilot in December 2011. It has almost 3,000 miles on it. Here's our mileage so far:
    1. Took a trip to CA with 7 passengers and luggage inside the vehicle. Trip computer reported 20.x mpg on mostly freeway driving between 75-80 mph.
    2. We do a lot of freeway driving (80% of the time) and we've been getting 22.x mpg on almost every tank of gas. This is with 5 passengers and no luggage load.
    3. Overall mileage since we bought the vehicle = 21.x mpg. We haven't reset trip computer B yet.

Granted this is a 4,500 lb vehicle and not aerodynamic as a car but we're very happy with the mileage. We didn't buy it for gas mileage but for passenger capacity and neither me or my wife wants to drive a minivan.
    Hope this helps.
  • pilot4m3pilot4m3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

I've been reading these posts for a few days now and I just wanted to get your opinion on my deal here. I'll try and not feel if I have buyer's remorse but in the end...I'm still going to love my new Honda Pilot. Alrighty, here is what I clunked down $500 bucks for... It's a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Nav 4WD, Dark Cherry Pearl II. Of course they didn't have it in stock, it's actually being built from the plant, just for me. I didn't get any extras as I have a "special" contact for that. Anywho...after extensive negotiating and a lot of back-n-forth e-mails, I finally settled. I settled on $36,440. This is the out-the-door price....everything to include tax, tags, applicable fees...literally OUT-THE-DOOR, nothing more. How'd I do? Thanks for your feed back. Oh, also, many may wonder where and how I got a dark cherry pearl...Honda of Tysons in Vienna, VA is where I got the deal. Also, like I said...not in stock, I should have it by March. Thanks again everyone!
  • 67malibugirl67malibugirl Member Posts: 1
    after researching and driving different SUV's, (it was between pilot, highlander, 4-runner and Murano) we decided on the pilot. We had a 07 civic si that we traded in for this one. How is that for one end of the spectrum to the other. Time for this grandma to step of to a baby hauler. Purchased a 2010 with 31,000 miles on it, black cherry pearl EX model (we did not want leather). paid $25,100 for it. Gonna fill it up tomorrow and will see what kinda of mileage we got out of our first full tank. We do both city and freeway driving so good mix as I can see.
  • jkap550jkap550 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2012 EX-L and was hoping to get some guidance on prices paid. It looks like the MSRP is approx. $35K for the EX-L without RES and the quotes I have received from internet managers are in the $32.5K range. I am curious how much lower I can negotiate. I am thinking that $30K + TTL may be a bit too aggressive, but maybe $31K is possible?

Any guidance is appreciated.
  • mctrees02mctrees02 Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking at the same vehicle as you (EXL 2WD w/o RES or NAV). The lowest quote I've received in DFW is $32,270. I had another dealer quote me at $30.4k but then they add on $1900 in accessories to get the price just over $32k.

Remember that the invoice of this car is $32,124 including destination fee. I don't know if you'll get a price much lower than $31,500 and that is a VERY aggressive number IMO.
  • pillar88pillar88 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at 2012 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring model. Interest in prices paid, availability in DC area. Thanks.
    jkap550,

I think $31k is realistic in DFW. You have evidence of that in your quote of $30.4k. Add-ons are optional, and that's where the negotiating comes in. Either locate a dealer who will sell without add-ons, or negotiate the add-ons down to what you're comfortable with.

We purchased a 2011 about 10 months ago in DFW. Your quote of $30.4 is in the ballpark of what we paid, add-ons included. You can look at my previous posts for the breakdown. I haven't looked to see how invoice/MSRP prices compare on the 2012, so you might need to adjust my numbers somewhat to compensate.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the heads up civictory. I expanded my search to the guys in Tarrant county and received an attractive quote from 2 different dealers. I'll post more details after the deal gets closed.
  • jpbeejpbee Member Posts: 3
    I'd say you did well - at or just a tad under invoice if my calculations are correct. I'm looking at buying from Tyson's as well - have to order since they don't have the Pilot I'm looking for. How long will it be before you take delivery and was your deposit in cash or by credit card? Thanks
  • jimsnapsjimsnaps Member Posts: 15
    A few questions. I want to but a Honda Pilot 2012 touring 4wd.

- what's a reasonable price to pay for this?
    - I want to add about 1700 in accesories. Do I also need to pay to have them installed?
    - is it Better to lease or buy the car? I plan on getting a firm price first

Sank you!!
  • owns_a_dogowns_a_dog Member Posts: 2
    I did the Edmond's on-line price quote process for DFW area. Out of four dealers only one gave an actual quote (Huggins). They were only $500 over invoice for any version of the Pilot. Went and test drove the Pilot, CRV and Crosstour and really liked the experience. Ended up with the 2012 Pilot EXL w/ nav at the Invoice price. That's $1000 below the Edmond's True Market Value. They agreed fairly easily to invoice price making me wonder if I could have gone even lower. Huggins was a really good experience with no pressure at all. Felt kind of weird. The quotes I got were from the internet sales folks who don't do commission. Had to show the salesman the internet quote to get him in the ballpark but the manager quickly agreed. Although it was a pleasant experience the salesman had to go to the manager all the time for each step dragging out the process. Previous buying experience I went through the internet sales and it was faster but Huggins staff suggested I work with the regular salesman. I would suggest going through the internet sales anyway for the whole purchase process. They can make the decisions right there. I avoided add-ons by ordering the vehicle. If you are trading in get the Autotrader appraisal on-line as a back up to negotiate. I didn't get any accessories but you could negotiate that at least 30% or buy on the internet.
  • owns_a_dogowns_a_dog Member Posts: 2
    From my recent purchase experience it looks like you should be able to get it at the invoice price or possibly lower. Contact the internet sales folks who don't work on commission. It doesn't hurt to ask for below invoice as a first offer after you get their quote.

You can negotiate accessories also. Several Internet prices are at a 30% discount (uninstalled) so you should start there. Most of the accessories are easy to install but if you are uncomfortable using a screwdriver or sticking stuff on then let them do it like running boards. They'll want to charge you something for it but that could be negotiable also.

Buy or lease is a big question. Usually if you will have it for more than 3 years or drive a lot you should buy. Leasing terms are negotiated just like buying and more complicated. Study it closely.
    As mentioned in another reply to your post, you can save substantially by buying accessories online. You stated $1,700 in accessories. If that is a quote from a dealer, I would encourage you to compare online prices. You will be surprised at the savings!

Most accessories are very easy to install. A note about running boards or side steps: The installation of these requires the use of a special tool for a "rivet nut." You can rent/borrow the tool, or there are work-around techniques on the internet. However, I just asked the dealership to install the nuts when they were performing some other work shortly after we purchased the vehicle. Then I drove home and installed the side steps myself. On that accessory alone, I saved 50-75% (depending on which dealer quote I compare to) by purchasing online and installing myself.

Even with just basic DIY skills, you can install most accessories yourself.
    Congratulations on the Pilot! We also purchased from Huggins and had a good experience. Ours was a little more straightforward, as I negotiated the price via email before we even went to the dealership. We were able to avoid the annoying back-and-forth to the manager's office.

Like you, Huggins agreed to my first offer, making me wonder if I could have done a little better! All things considered, though, we were very happy with the experience.
  • buyerfresnobuyerfresno Member Posts: 1
    So, did you end up buying your Pilot Touring? How much did you pay for it? I'm looking into buying one myslef, how much should I offer any idea? Any body?
    Okay, thanks for the detailed response. So I'm back at it and here is the latest.

The Invoice for the Touring 2012 4wd is:

That's including the $810 destination fee.

The accessories come to a total of:

That brings the total Invoice + Accesories to:

A few comments here:

- Do i need to pay taxes? Should this 39493 be my out the door price?

- With the lease option, I assumed you should get the best pure price quote, and work the lease numbers from there. so If I lease I assumed I would consider doing it after I have a price in hand - is that correct?

- the accessory prices are coming right from honda.com. I'm fine paying that price but do I need to pay installation?

that's it, looking forward to some sweet answers and getting a new care here momentarily
  • ct44ct44 Member Posts: 8
    My two cents worth, having bought my Pilot in September:

1. Taxes are dictated by state and will always be added to the sales price you agree to pay the dealer.

2. On leases, you definitely want to negotiate the best possible purchase price and then ask them the lease price. They use a money factor which they multiply the purchase price by to determine the monthly payment, and they usually will tell you those factors, for different terms, (36 mos, 48 mos, etc.) if you ask.

3. There is a huge markup on the accessories and that price is definitely negotiable. You may want to offer 50% of the list price to start the price negotiation.

4. Also on accessories - Be very careful of what you are buying. I say this because I added a remote starter to mine and they subbed the job out to an installer down the street, who used one of the keys that came with the car ($145 to replace) which should not have been required had they not given me the cheapest unit they could, and the unit does not display any confirmation that the car has actually started, which again which almost any decent unit will do.

Best of luck with your new Touring!
    Okay, great response. So to get this price right, here is what we have so far:

The accessories come to a total of:

That brings the total Invoice + Accesories to:

REVISED PRICE BASED ON NEW INFO:

Taking the new information into account, let's discount the accessories 50% giving an accessory price of:

That brings the total Invoice + destincation + Accesories to:

So the final question is to add the sales tax, and that should be my Out the door price right? So does anyone know how to calculate the sales tax? Is it the same for cars as other sales tax in VA? 4.5%?

Almost there...thanks for all the help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    Pretty sure it's 3 - 3.17% on cars... and, on the full selling price...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Awesome! So assuming that we think this invoice+desintation+accessories price of:

Is reasonable, and we add in the tax at:

That brings us to a price, out the door of:

Does that sound like a good deal? Acceptable price to got to the dealer with? Am I missing anything or am I ready to get in the drivers seat!
    Hey All,

Checking back in. Does this out the door price look about right?
    jimsnaps,

I see you've had no responses yet, so I'll offer my two cents.

Assuming the numbers in your post are correct, I don't know that you could shave off more than a few hundred more, if that. I'd say pull the trigger, if you're comfortable with everything!

That said, I'd stick to my guns on the numbers you've presented. (Don't forget the doc fee. Keep that reasonable.)

And again, on accessories... That's where there is a lot of wiggle room. If you're interested in shaving a little more off the price, that's a good place to do it.

Good luck; and once you pull the trigger, enjoy your new Pilot!
    I'd say that looks good. What about the processing fee or doc fee that all dealers seem to charge.
    I'm looking in Northern VA and here is my latest quote:

$36791
    $810 Destination
    $395 Processing
    Tags and Tax (3.17%)
    Not buying any accesories.

Are you in Northern VA?
  • dhotiramdhotiram Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    paid $36,000 OTD. Northern California.

Purchased All weather Mats and rear luggage area tray not included in the price.

This is my 2nd pilot. very happy with it so far. slightly better gas mileage than my previous one that i just sold.

Hope this helps potential buyers out there.
    Y, I'm on Nova. Those numbers bring
    Your total up to 39203. That's better than what I calculated. Is that your out the door price?

I got a quote today for 41000 out the door with 1700 in accesories. The quotes I have all try and add cost on to the accesories. Without accesories my best was something like 39400.

If you don't mind me asking what dealer are
    You getting that quote from?
  • ilanailana Member Posts: 25
    Hello,
    I have a general question if I trade in a car for a new lease do I get a break on taxes. I know if I was to buy a new car I would (i am in NY) nit sure how it would work on lease.
    Thanks Ilana
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new Honda or Toyota within the last two months. Specifically, he’s most interested in speaking with someone who intentionally held off on buying one of these vehicles last year because the dealer did not have it in stock. If you meet this criteria, please send a brief description of your experience and your contact info to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I went through the process of requesting quotes from every dealer in the DFW area a few weeks ago. Of the responses that I received, Frank Kent Honda in FW offered the lowest initial price.

I was looking for an EX-L Pilot w/o RES or NAV and w/o accessories. They offered a price of $31,073 including destination and before TTL. Invoice price is about $32.2k.

I then shopped that price with 4 or 5 other dealers in the area and all advised that to take the deal and that they couldn't go below $32k.

It took about a week to get the Pilot in from Honda but once it came in, the dealer called and we drove over to pick up the car (about an hour from our house in Dallas). The service was pleasant and not pushy at all. When I got to the dealer, I was able to take get their finance department to add in L&M tax credits to further lower the cost.

All told, it took 6 emails to complete the transaction and then about an hour to pick up the car up at the dealer. For those getting quotes of invoice or higher, PLEASE do yourself a favor and shop around. It was worth driving 100 miles r/t to save over a grand on the car.
  • chakradechakrade Member Posts: 3
    mctrees02,
    Looks like you got a great deal. I have narrowed down my search of an SUV between a mazda CX9 and the pilot. I live in the DFW area also and will get a quote from Frank Kent Honda in FW.
    Could you eloborate a little about the L&M tax credits? What are they and who is eligible?
    Tyson's Honda.
    JPbee, thanks for the response. I've also narrowed it down to Tysons. I can't seem to get the same deal you have, but pretty close, a few hunderd dollars off.

So here is my final price:

So one last request from this awesome forum - I want to lease this car and I'd like to put nothing down and do it for 36 months. Can someone give me some guidance, or some ranges on monthly payments? I'm pretty much going in blind on the lease numbers so anything to give me something would be a huge help. I plan on heading in tomorrow so here's to hoping there are some great response in my inbox in the morning!
  • vicvinegarvicvinegar Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    This on a Touring 4WD I take it? Tysons seems to have the most inventory from what I've see, especially for Touring models.

Did you get that price in the show room? Or did you email dealers? I'm just wondering if there are some not to bother with. I was going to send out a request for offers to basically every Honda dealer from Baltimore to Richmond.
    L&M is a bit tough to explain and scouring the interwebs doesn't lend much detail.

Long and short, it's a tax credit available where-in you pay a 1.25% fee in lieu of a 6.25% sales tax on your car. L&M is a company over in Ft Worth that takes care of your TT&L work in exchange for the fee and their service is available on different cars at different times.

Always ask your dealer if L&M credits are available. If they are, it's a 5% savings on the price of your vehicle and that is HUGE (about $1500 on an EXL Pilot).