Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Wait till they call you back.....my deal improved 2-2.5K$ after walking away & not calling them till they left the 3rd message on my answering machine. But don't wait forever.....there's only a thousand or so left supposedly.
  • luckycoxluckycox Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice. I will give them some time to stew.
  • xfiregirlxfiregirl Member Posts: 10
    some people are getting around 15K off the price at this time.
  • lykourinoulykourinou Member Posts: 67
    It's a shame too, hell of a nice ride, I wanted one.
  • badger99badger99 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I am new to this forum because I am just now starting to consider purchasing a Crossfire. People sure seem to like them. I have four questions I am hoping you can help me with:

(1) I have seen a few 2006 models advertised, but are these really 2005 models?

(2)There are many good used 2005 models out there as well as some nicely-discounted 2007 models. What are the differences between the 2005 and 2007?

(3) Any particular problems to look for when buying used?

(4) Given that these have a lot of Mercedes parts, are the parts and service expensive?

Thanks for any insight or advice you can provide. I appreciate it.
  • luckycoxluckycox Member Posts: 4
    I am in the Houston area and just now considering the Crossfire. There are plenty of new 2007's being offered with 12k to 13k discounts. These seem to be a better deal than the used ones I have found in my area.

Biggest issues I have investigated are 1. Expensive tires to replace, 2. Expensive oil changes, 3. Mercedes realibility which some say is good and others say is bad, 4. Expensive to change headlight bulb.

Good luck.
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Too answer some of your questions.

To both 1 and 2 - Just the VIN numbers were changed and I believe some minor MINOR features that are pretty insignificant. No more SRT though.

To 3 - I bought mine used wiht 19k back in '95. Look for the same as any other car, but go back through the forum as I've seen some refer to the cooling system having issues. I had mine for 2 years problem free. Only got rid of it due to becoming a dad.

To 4 - Uh YAH!. Oil changes range anywhere from $80-$120. I had the package, so I never paid for mine. But with 70% MB parts, yes, it can get pricey, especially from the dealer.

I hope this helps somewhat. You will probably get a few more responses due to varying experiences with their vehicles. I wish I could add more, but I had a truly problem free, beautiful ride! :P
    I changed my headlight bulbs myself in a Wal-Mart parking lot at 1 am and it cost me around $35 for a pair.

You can get some decent replacement tires at tire rack. OEM will be pricey though.

Right on the mark with oil changes.
  • badger99badger99 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick replies, folks. Very helpful.
  • riddleboxriddlebox Member Posts: 46
    If you are interested in an SRT-6, they were only made in 2005. As that is the model I have, I am not that familiar with the differences over the years in the base coupe (yes, there are 2006 models). One of the perks about buying an older car is that the taxes and insurance are usually lower. The depreciation is really not a factor in buying a used Crossfire as the dealers are discounting the newer models so heavily.

The answer to question #4 is - Yes. These are expensive cars and repairs can be expensive. I usually think warranties are rip-offs, but for this vehicle I would highly recommend a Chrysler warranty. They aren't that expensive - you can get a good extended warranty for about $1300. These require synthetic oil changes about every 7000 miles which can run around $100 + (these cars take 8.5 quarts of oil!)depending where you take your car to get serviced. Keep in mind an independent Mercedes shop may be a good place to get this done if your Chrysler dealer is too outrageous and you don't feel confident in your own skills.
    You make a good point about the independent dealer. I actually found a shop here in Central Florida that only dealt in German vehicle repair. So much cheaper than the dealership.
  • henry125henry125 Member Posts: 18
    Between 2004 to 2007 Same configuration, no changes at all. Find the best deal for 2005 or 2006. Take it. It is a smooth machine at 140mph. Watch out for your speed. The best and safe way to test your car at this speed is at your local race track.
    There are "some" 2008s.....the last one was produced on 12/17/07 ....the VIN # was something like 8X076047....the 8X means it's a 2008 model. Someone with a VIN of about 74,000 told me his was buildt in July & it was a 7X.....so, I've concluded that there has to be fewer than 2000 08s. Of the 76047 Crossfires ever buildt.....I'm guessing 20-30 tousand of them went to other countries....
    Made the mistake of stopping by the dealership today...now the old lady wants one of her own.... Gold-Red Leather-Automatic-with Navigation.
  • golfergalgolfergal Member Posts: 10
    My husband bought me a Crossfire and he's never been so happy...I love my car and he gets the fringe benefits from how great I think he is that he gave me the keys and declared me the official owner of the Crossfire....
  • arewhyinoharewhyinoh Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have an employee choice burning a hole in their pocket yet for 2007. Going in to lease a Chrysler on Monday and would love to use it!
    She hasn't even driven mine yet (cause it's a stick I guess).....had it since 12/5/07.
  • xfireroadsterxfireroadster Member Posts: 81
    The only differences are a choice of 2 new colors Oyster and Machine Grey and driver side and passenger side knee air bags. Everything else remains the same as past model years.There are a few 2006, 2007 and only 1300 2008's available and none can be special ordered you would have to take what is on hand. If you want the biggest bang for your buck try to find a well maintained and pampered used SRT6 Crossfire.
    It took great restraint, but, I drove normal for a few days..didn't get on it much...6 speed got 26 mpg....I'm glad that test is over!
    It took great restraint, but, I drove normal for a few days..didn't get on it much...6 speed got 26 mpg....I'm glad that test is over!
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I am considering buying a 2006 Roadster LTD, 6 speed manual. I am somewhat surprised by the lack of a spare tire in this car, but given the size of the wheels and limited space, I guess that is the price you must pay. What exactly comes in the "tire service kit"? I also noticed that the tires are quite pricey to replace - about $ 1000 a set. The cheapest I found on tirerack.com were Kumhos for about $ 500/set. How long do the original tires last where they are properly inflated and wheel alignment is good?

Can somebody tell me how noisy is the car with the top up at cruising speed? Is there a lot of buffeting and intrusive wind noise past the windows? I live in Florida and summers are unbearably hot and humid - hardly the best time to ride around with the top down. Also, how effective is the air conditioning? Any issues with the climate control?

Are there any other issues and problems with these cars that I should be aware of?
    The top mechanism seems quite complicated and I wonder how long will these tops function properly and how expensive they are to fix. Seems there are one too many servo motors working this top. Quite frankly I would prefer a well designed manual top.

Are aftermarket rollbars or higher arches available for rollover protection? The standard arches behind the seats appear to be too low to do any good in a rollover crash. Is the windshield strong enough to keep from collapsing in such a scenario? How are the frontal impact crash ratings on this vehicle?

It seems that incentives are the best on new leftover 06 models. Are the incentives the same on the new '07s? The local dealer is discounting their new '07 roadsters only about $ 12k off the sticker. I have seen new '06s discounted more than $ 15k.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Anybody? I really need some response ASAP. Thanks.
    Not to be rude, but it sounds like you should not buy a roadster. If you are that concerned about the windnoise, crash protection, top mechanisms etc then maybe this is not the car for you. Yes, these are intricate vehicles and yes, they are expensive to maintain and repair. The more complicated the technology in the vehicle, the more likely something will go out - that's the way I look at it. Yes, the tires may cost more than the 14" tires on your Toyota, but geeeez - these are 18" and 19 " wheels. If I was that worried about rolling over and crashing in a convertible I would not buy one. But IMHO I would rather take my chances of having a rollover accident in this car than buy a SUV that I KNOW will roll over at the slightest nudge. Test drive the roadster and decide for yourself if it is too noisey. Then weigh all the pros and cons and see if this is the car for you. Good luck in your decision - whatever it may be.
  • agebhardtagebhardt Member Posts: 8
    I have an '06 roadster. No problems at all. Very quiet for a ragtop...obviously not as quiet as a hardtop roadster would but much better than older ragtops. I've put 8,000 miles on mine. One trip was about 3,000 roundtrip with the top up and I have no complaints. While it's cramped for a long trip, it's worth it for the power.
    I maintain my tires closely since I want to put off that $1,000 to $1,200 as long as possible. I've heard stories of them wearing out in 10,000 but in my opinion, that would be rare. I had an SRT-6 coupe that I spun the rear ties on a lot and the tires were still fine at 20,000. The tires are not uni-directional, so they can be rotated from side-to-side.
    Don't forget this cars linage...90% Mercedes parts and assenbled at the Kharman plant. Quality is first class. The roof will withstand a rollover, but you'd have to screw up really badly to flip this thing.
    I would recommend buying a windscreen (fits between the rollbars and easy to install). Significantly reduces wind noice with the top down. I am in Tennessee and our summers are at least as warm as yours and thge humuduty may be worse. I was surprised how many days I put the top down during the worst of the summer. I used to drive older English roadsters as toys. They were miserable with the top down except on the best of days. This car has a strong ac and heater and I've used it with the top down at 90 degrees, 60 degrees and everywhere in between. Buy while it's there and enjoy. In a few years these cars should be real collector items.

The '06 models are getting hard to come by at dealers and you should expect $10,000 to $12,000 off sticker.
  • doc36doc36 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 srt roadster. The wind noise has never been a problem and defectors are available for around $ 50 but have never felt the need to buy one. The top is a warranty item but I haven't had any problem with it. If fact I have never had any problems, the only thing I do is normal service work. Tires are somewhat expensive but when you have a car that is capable of over 150 mph you want a good set of rubber under you. My other car is a 96 840ci BMW and if I had to choose then I think the Bemmer would be finding a new home. The car you are looking at is a pleasure to drive and has what I think is proven German (mercedes/benz) engineering. Enjoy and forget about the small stuff. I've lived in Florida and it will be a fun car for there.

R.S.
  • omarqomarq Member Posts: 1
    k people just got my 05 home!!!!!! its a really nice car., looking for clubs or people with crossfires to hangout with in the houston area., also what if any problems should i be looking for? :shades:
    Speeding tickets!
    People who constantly want to gawk at you!
  • jjl1768jjl1768 Member Posts: 2
    hi - just purchased a 2004 this week. there was also a 2005, mint red, std on the lot that could be had for about 15k. this car was a left over, never registered until oct 2006 and traded for an audi t/t in oct 2007 - owned by a woman. show room condition. car is in fall river, mass.
  • 06goldxfire06goldxfire Member Posts: 5
    . . . fighting the urge to go over 100 mph. I've had my '06 coupe since October and twice on the highway home from work I've hit the century mark. What a smooth powerful ride!!!

(p.s. - one speeding ticket also, but thank goodness, it was 52 in a 35 zone)
    The fastest I ever hit was 135. But since I first hit that, I've done it a few times between Orlando and Tampa and between Jacksonville and Daytona on I-95. Gotta love those long straights.
  • vision2020vision2020 Member Posts: 1
    Have you try to push it at 150mph for a short distance. Let me know how the ride it. The fastest I try is around 130mph and it is smooth with the top down but, little windy...
    jbjtkbw00....I thought you had to get rid of it due to baby?
    I did, but I had it for 2 years and by chatting about it, makes me feel like I still have it. I REALLY miss it big time. :cry:
    I had a new Vette in '78 & by '88 had to get rid of it (kids & wife didn't fit in it), but...last one graduated from college ($$$) this year.....& I retired from fed gov, now double dipping & driving new Crossfire.....hey.....consider something like a MazdaSpeed 3......it has a backseat.
  • ronaldcronaldc Member Posts: 50
    I also retired from the fed gov 4 years ago. Thinking of purchasing a new Crossfire for myself. My wife thinks I am crazy since I going to 63 next April. I worked in car sales for a Jeep / Chrysler dealer two years ago and drove both the SRT Coupe and Limited Convertible. Just love the car. We were selling them for around $40,000. What a sweet car. I guess you don't have to drive Buicks and Lincolns when you reach a certain age.
    Bought my Limited 6spd Coupe 12/5/07.....have put 2,000 miles on it so far.....plan is to put 40,000 miles / year for 25 years.....=1,000,000 = age 80.......or is that 25,000 miles / years for 40 years = 1,000,000 = age 95 ???? Anyway, I got the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. My old lady said most pickup trucks only hold 2 people ...so what the hell!
  • woodlandswoodlands Member Posts: 10
    What part of Houston? I live in The Woodlands and see Crossfires in that area, but haven't found a club yet. I wish I could find a local XFire club.
  • ynowakynowak Member Posts: 2
    hi. my husband and i bought an 05 Crossfire convertible limited. it needs new tires. has anyone out there gone to Tire Kingdom or Allied Discount tires and had all four tires replaced on their Crossfire? how much did it costs with balance and tax and Front End Alignment. Any problems with the tires or sensors after the tires were put on? what brand tire? Does the Chrysler dealership have to put the tires on because of the tire pressure sensors?? if new tires are put on and the sensors get damaged...that's an $800 repair?? any suggestions would be appreciated. ymnowak@tampabay.rr.com
  • dothedew23dothedew23 Member Posts: 1
    Do the 6 speakers include the 2 tweeters in the doors, or is it the 2 tweeters plus 6 more speakers? Also, does the standard automatic v6 coupe have the subwoofers and amp I keep seeing mentioned on different sites? Finally,where are the other speakers in the car besides the ones that are in the front doors because I cant find any pics showing them,and if I wanted to replace only 1 or 2 speakers with aftermarket brands could I do so,or would I have to replace ALL of the factory speakers?? Thanks for any help,sorry for all the questions!
    I bought an '07 Limited recently.....there are speakers behind the seats.....I think it somewhat inhibits the sound a little...as most people will have the seats back as far as possible. But if I crank up Led Zeplin & let the 6 speed rip.....nothing else in the world matters!
  • akantorakantor Member Posts: 5
    new to the crosfire club i have an 05 srt6 love it bought new 11 miles on it $24,000.00 at 2,000 miles it went to the dragstrip first run ran a 13.47 at 102mph secound run with two new k&n airfilters ran a flat 13 . love it its my daily driver and my race car. dose any one drive theres in the winter? defoging is a problem when its like below 20 any one have this problem.?">
  • henry125henry125 Member Posts: 18
    Wow, Where and When did you buy this 05' SRT 6. You do have a very good deal. Please let me know?
    Hell yes you got a great deal!!!! I would give up the family vehicle to get back into an SRT6 in that condition.
    i bought it in i like 3/18/07 ya i got a great deal thanks to my uncle/boss he bought 2 new cars one is a limeted superbee number 298 and a srt8 charger for his wife.
    i did have to give up my 70 dodge charger to get it.
    i bought it in maple grove mn
    Welcome to the elite status of being a SRT-6 owner.
    My SRT-6 is my daily driver/racer. I have the all-season Contis and have had absolutely no problem in the snow. Just switch to the "W" mode and you should be fine. In fact, this car has amazed me by how well it gets around in the snow because several other owners claim the car is horrible in the winter. I don't know if they have different tires or don't know how to drive, but I am impressed. I have had no issues with the windows fogging up as long as I keep the defrost on the lowest speed and adjusted to half-way on the temperature dial. I also shut all the vents on the panel as the heat in this car works too well.
    Can't wait to get it on the track this spring!
  • xfiremikexfiremike Member Posts: 6
    Hi All
    I have been reading this site for over a year. I have a 05 SRT-6 with 4000.0 on it.
    Its a second car or toy if you wish. I have all the Chrysler Acc. I could get. The lighted door sills. The rear Security Cover. and the 06 SRT side badges. I was told by Chry. in Jan. 07 they never made cars past 05. But I have found out now thats was far from true. For those wanting Security Cover it rolls like a window blind. The
    holes for holding it are THERE in each coupe. Just feel them out with your hand and
    cut hole out. The kit comes with cut-out pattern. I have replace blower motor also. The engine has a slight ticking sound like some of your car do. It does NOT move in
    the snow with the summer tires I learned the hard way. ;)
  • ilya85ilya85 Member Posts: 1
    I fell in love with the look of the crossfire ever since I first saw it back in '04 and now that it came time to switch cars I'm very interested in picking one up for myself. My question to you guys is, weather you guys would recomend doing so or not. Does Chrysler Crossfire break a lot or has bad history with certain things I should look out for when shopping. I'm also having trouble choosing between the 04', 05' 06', and 07' years. Wear there major changes to the model for any of the years? I haven't really decided weather I should get the coup or roadster, but I do want the automatic. Please let me know your thoughts, thank you.