Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• ozark2ozark2 Member Posts: 16
    does anyone know of anywhere in the midwest a guy can actually turn a Crossfire loose and see if it will run 150mph? Hate to get put in jail. But, want
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    If you find one, let me know. I've had my '07 6 speed up to about 120 on I-435 (the loop around Kansas City).....but those have been short cowardly bursts. After 11,000 miles my Continentals seem to be wearing more on the outer treads....may be those 70 mph decreasing radius off ramps..I love to blow people's minds when they have been riding my [non-permissible content removed] just till the exit....(Crossfires real strong suit!).
    Anyone have any stories to tell about friendly speed contests on the highway?

I think it's only a select few of the public that realize what these cars will do.

No illusions, its no super vet, but they go pretty good!
  • henry125henry125 Member Posts: 18
    Check out your local race track. In Califorina, you could pay to use the track in Ontarino race track once a month.
  • riddleboxriddlebox Member Posts: 46
    What? Only 120?

Try 135 MPH and still pulling strong (I chickened out) on I-35 in Lenexa!
  • 06goldxfire06goldxfire Member Posts: 5
    A modest story about racing: I don't want to sound like a snob, but my wife has a 2005 Z4 and I have an 06 Crossfire limited (two 50ish former yuppies recently married with no kids). It happened one evening after running separate errands (in our separate cars) and following each other home, I could see her accelerating coming up behind me. I couldn't let her pass me, so I keep about two car lengths ahead of her (no other traffic on the road). At about 105 to 110 mph, she backed off, not able to over take me. I felt the crossfire could match the Z4 stride for stride. . . . P.S. After several more months of driving my crossfire, I picked up my second speeding ticket (both going about 50 in 35 zones - that should not count as 'speeding') and with my point total, required me to take a traffic safety exam. In the study materials, it stated that if caught 'racing' an automatic revocation of your license for one year will be imposed. so, no more racing. . . at least until my points go away.
    Went to movie last evening with my Wife, on previews of the new James Bond movie I "think" I saw a Crossfire in some kind of a car chace. Anyone seen it yet?
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Wow, funny story. When we had our cars, my fiance and I were in a similar situation. She had a 2002 Z3 and I had a 2005 Crossfire. I'm 39 and she's 23, so no yuppie status. Only reason we got rid of our cars was due to a baby.

Anyways, she would never race me though after seeing me take on a Z 4 after we shot through the toll booth at the airport here in Orlando. I went through first and eased off of the gas and saw the Z 4 coming at me full speed. We got to 125 where I started pulling ahead as it started backing down (not for lack of trying). I felt good that day, and no tickets. :)
  • crossfiremancrossfireman Member Posts: 14
    I have a 20005 Crossfire Convertible..It ticks..Have had valve lifters replaced in Jan 08 & July 08 again. 2 weeks later it is starting to tick again upon start up..after it sits for a while... Did you get a new engine or a re-built one?
    Anyone have engine ticking noise?
    My '07 has 12,000 miles on it.....sweet as honey! How many miles on yours? Are you the original owner? Have you always used 0-40 Mobil-1 as called for in the manual?

Everyone who's ever had such problems turned out to not be the original owner...always suspicious how the vehicles were cared for & driven....

My '07 has the LifeTime Powertrain warranty....so I'm not too concerned.

A local salesman had a MERC with the same engine....he's put almost a half million miles on his.....still running with no major issues re. the engine.
    I am 2nd owner , now have 38K miles but have had it since 12K miles..first owner did oil changes properly...and so have I..yes 0w-40 Mobil 1..at the dealer..It is still under powertrain warranty.. It is curious..
    It is normal. Search the Benz forums and you will get the same response. Sounds almost like a diesel.
    I wonder if it is not being properly diagnosed..the lifters should not be failing!! Is there a check valve in the oil path which feeds these lifters? Is the engine at risk for damage when this noise happens?
  • keckstinekeckstine Member Posts: 1
    Someone recently rear-ended my Crossfire and I am having trouble with the repair people. The exhaust tips are not lined up properly and I don't think that they repaired the exhaust itself right! So if anyone has a picture of their underbody and where exactly the tips sit in relation to the bumper I would be extremely grateful.
    I have not heard of one case where the lifters have actually failed in these cars. Other than the IC pump going out on the supercharger, these engines are pretty much rock-solid.
    The tips should fit flush with the rear fascia, which is angled down from the rear bumper. They should not protrude past that bottom panel. These pictures may help:

http://autos.yahoo.com/chrysler_crossfire_coupe_limited-slideshow/?tab=gen&i=izp- _rearview
    Bought new Crossfire and since we travel to Florida part of the year and I bought it in the City about 100 miles from wher we live I called several Chysler dealerships about working/servicing it.

Come to find out, at least in this area, not hardly any of the dealerships have a certified Crossfire Mechanic. Apparently it takes expensive training, tools etc, and now that Crossfire will be history I'm wondering what future will bring.

Not looking for problems, but a lifetime warranty doesn't mean much if no one can work on it.
    Keystone has a Crossfire Mechanic......didn't you buy in KC area?

I'm still super happy with mine.....12K miles....(8 months), 6 speed.
  • riley34riley34 Member Posts: 12
    The pop-up cup holder will not stay down when closed. Before I bring my Crossfire to Chrysler is there any easy fix?
    Keystone does not have a Crossfire Certified mechanic. They said they work on Crossfires, but Chrysler has no such training to certify the Crossfire mechanics. They couldn't even tell me if they used the fleece or paper oil filters - just said "whatever Mopar sends us". I bough myself an oil extractor and discovered that NAPA carries the paper fleece we need (made by a German Company for NAPA) and changed the oil myself in 15 minutes. I dread having to deal with those people if something mechanical breaks down in my SRT6.
    God I love driving this car!!!! I run the snot out of this 6 speed & still I'm getting 26 mpg...
  • crossfireman3crossfireman3 Member Posts: 6
    I'm seriously looking to buy a Crossfire soon--next week. Before I buy it I just want to know how reliablt this car is. Does it break down alot?...have any problamatic mechanical issues?
    Is it extremely expensive to buy parts for this car since it's discontinued?
    Where could I buy a warranty for a used 2004 with ~60,000 miles on it?
    Lastly, could i put a spare tire in the trunk if I don't really use my trunk?

And comments would help. Right now I'm trying to decide between this and the 350Z...I like the Crossfire more
    1. No.
    2. Parts are available - but they are mostly going to be Mercedes parts which
    are not as cheap as Ford parts.
    3. www.chryslerservicecontracts.com
    4. Yes.
  • golfergalgolfergal Member Posts: 10
    Run don't walk and buy a Crossfire. I have had zero issues with my '05 convertible other than the smile that's plastered on my face everytime I drive it. You will not be sorry. I bought an extended warranty, but so far, it's never been used. This car is a head turner and a dream to own, drive, and simply have in the driveway. Good luck!
    Wonderful car chose. However, if you are taller than 5'9" you may not want this car, it is little tight. Spend a little more and get the SRT version, The "Z and the M4" will eat your dust. I love to drive my SRT everyday, But, I do not want to have too many miles on it. So, it is gargage most of the time.
    So, as for the car that you are interested. Be very carefull with a car that has 60K miles used. May have hidden unknow mechanical problems that will cost you a bit of money to repair. Look for one that has less than 20K miles would be a good buy. If you are interested, I may want to consider to sell my SRT for $23,850 with less than 7500 mile as of today.

Enjoy!
    Lee's Summit (Mo.) Chrysler has an '07 Limited with 5K miles on it, automatic-navigation, advertised for $19,995.....the original sticker had to have been about $38K. You wouldn't get the Lifetime Powertrain warranty.....but it does include the 8/80. These are screaming bargains!!!
    Bought one several weeks ago. More I drive it, more I like it... but at times I think I must have been crazy. Reason is, apparently not too many people want them for some reason (since they apparently sit on the lots forever and prices are cut as much as $15,000). On top of that the resale is so low.

To me at least it seems like a quality, fast, good looking car. Is the problem that is says "Chrysler" on it?
  • harley482harley482 Member Posts: 1
    Bought an 05 convertible with 3k on it a few weeks ago. As everybody says the more you drive it the more you like it. Get a lot of looks from other drivers as they don't seem to know what it is. Nav systems seems to work good. So far no complaints. :)
    Chrysler has been notoriously lousy for resale value. I bought an SRT6 for half the sticker price with 300 miles on it and figure that will be the only $47000 car I will ever own. Even though the ameneties are sparse and the $1300 radio upgrade is a joke, I would buy another without hesitation at the price I paid. Remember - there are no updates available for the navigation system since 2005, nor will there ever be for this system.
    God I love driving this car!
  • dock55dock55 Member Posts: 2
    Bought an 04 crossfire with 40k miles put another 5k on it!
    Stopped at store when I came back out and put key in the key would not turn but part way. Called a tow truck had it towed to a Chrysler dealer they checked it out and said the keys and transmitter were bad and the parts would cost $500. to $600.for parts
    But they couldn't fix it because Chrysler would not sell to them because they were going out of business. Towed it to another dealer that is supposed to have a certified crossfire tech now waiting to hear from them.
    Looks like the trouble is just starting with this car.
    Has any one else had trouble with the ignition
    Sounds like someone may have temper with the ignition, and ECU devices. You may want to check the battery also. Remember you brought the car used 40k miles. Did you buy the car from a reliable dealer or for sale by owner. What is the maintenance record of this car. I don't belive anyone has run into this problem yet.
    This may help:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25569

This is also a good site for any tech questions you may have.
    Did you check the battery in the key?
  • dock55dock55 Member Posts: 2
    When I had the other dealer check the crossfire they said it was the lock cylinder.
    and it would cost $658 to replace they have to send to the factory in Germany and it has to be lazer cut for that car.
    checked with another dealer and he said he had replaced 3 in the past week so I guess it will be coming for a lot of you guys after you get a few miles on them
  • crossfire66crossfire66 Member Posts: 9
    I also have a 2004 crossfire,but have just 16, k on it. I had that problem a few times like the key is sticking, but have had no problems for 2years, do you have another set of keys? Still love this car,but I am very disappointed with chrysler,although the dealership here in michigan has giving me excellent service.I bought the car 30 month ago,at a used car lot in Ohio ,only place that i found ,because i wanted it in black,with the cinnamon red leather interior, At the time I only had one key,but theypaid the 175,do buy a new key,when I went to the chrysler dealer to pick up the key,I asked them if it was programmed and ready to go, I went outside with the parts manager to try it,pressed the button to open,and nothing happened, he said they would have to program it but would cost another $75.00,I just went to the service manager,and he said no charge.By the way,if you go on line to look for x-fires 2004 limited coupes are hard to find. Here in michigan a lot of convertibles but not as many coupes I have yet to see one with the red cinnamon interior,so I am holding on to mine,makes me smile every time I drive it,but time will tell,who is going to service these cars when chrysler goes out of business? That my crossfire friends,is now my biggest concern :)
  • crossfireman3crossfireman3 Member Posts: 6
    I finally bought my Crossfire yesterday and I love it! It's so much fun to drive. For anyone who is considering it, go ahead and get it because you will really appreciate it. I'm sitting on my couch inside my living room right now and I can't stop looking through the window at my car in the parking lot. lol.

I bought the extended bumper to bumper 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty, so hopefully if anything needs to be done, that warranty will cover it.

I do have one problem that I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced. It sounds like there is a marble or something rolling around in my passenger door when I pull off from a complete stop. Has anyone else experienced that? Any thoughts are great appreciated.
    I bought my 07 new on 12/5/07.....after 14,000 miles......zero defects .....zero complaints. But then, I've already lost my marbles!
  • riley34riley34 Member Posts: 12
    Came across these manuals at: http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13875

Hope they are useful if your Crossfire is :sick: .
  • turbokobeturbokobe Member Posts: 2
    Where can I go to buy aftermarket parts for my 05' SRT-6?
    Does anyone know if there is a way to change the car remote key alarm to sound the honk once or twice to indicate that the alarm is set instead of only the headlights and parking light flash twice?. Sometimes I am not sure if the alarm is set or not when I am 20 feet away. If it requires some wiring changes to make it work, please let me know the details.

Love my Crossfire SRT6, Enough power to put the BMW Z4, 350Z, G35, and the new G37 to eat the dust.

Thanks,
  • cmckenziecmckenzie Member Posts: 6
    As with any toy there are trade offs with design vs. function. One of the very few things that looks like it was an afterthought on the Crossfire is the hideous wiper blades sticking up for everyone to see (especially from the drivers seat). Anyway, I replaced the stock wiper blades with a set of Bosch ION (Bracketless) blades on my '05 Limited Coupe and I am very pleased with the results. At least they are much less obtrusive than the multi-hinged stock units. Part numbers are 420A and 422B. :)
    http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon.htm
  • cmckenziecmckenzie Member Posts: 6
    I don't recall if there has been any discussion on whether Run Flat tires will work on the stock Crossfire wheels? (Limited, not SRT version) When it comes time to eventually purchase some new tires it seems like this would be worth exploring, unless someone can confirm that Run Flats won't work on these wheels.
    (I once had a flat on the stock right rear tire caused by a nail, and there is nothing more depressing than a flat tire on a car without a spare) :(
    Have you priced run-flats? Even if they worked, the tires would run about $286 a piece for the fronts but I can't find any to fit the rear. If I do, they would cost about $350 each.
  • ronaldcronaldc Member Posts: 50
    Just purchased a 2005 crossfire inferno red limited convertible for $15,500 with only 15,700 miles. The 3/36 and 7/70 warranty have both expired (3rd owner). Can I purchase a warranty from Chrysler even though both warranties are not in service.??
  • crossfire66crossfire66 Member Posts: 9
    You should be able to get a warranty from chrysler,for the remaining miles 36k,and you can buy the power train warranty 7/70 also,I got that warranty on my 2004 coupe 2 years ago,if not dont worry,there is many insurance companyts that will want to insure you for full warranty,but the price is high,but the lower the mileage the better the deal. crossfire66
  • stelmosstelmos Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am the excited owner of a new 2008 Crossfire Coupe in Aero blue and was wondering if there are any Crossfire car clubs around the Maryland area, or some like-minded owners who might like to get together. I love the car so far - have been attracted to them for years now and really glad I finally have one. Enjoy meeting some fellow crossfire owners. :)
    Stelmos, the UK Crossfire Owners website is the best one......thousands of members, many smaller subgroups.........check it out.

Congrats on your new Crossfire......stick or automatic......?

What kind of deal did ya get?

Mine's an 07 6spd Machine Grey Crystal Pearl Limited......love it, ave over 25 mpg.