Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• richard1srichard1s Member Posts: 11
    Redbear:
    Thanks for the info, as I mentioned, what little I know about the system, I learned from their customer service people.
    Music287:
    I wouldn't be turned off on the Crossfire solely on the fact it doesn't have a spare vs a runflat. I think the runflat system is very similar to what the Xfire offers. As I understand it, a runflat is a temporary fix for smaller punctures and the Xfire's system does the same thing, but with a different delivery process for the sealant.

The TT is a great car but it is also more expensive. The Crossfire is a real attention getter and a ball to drive.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,931
    i thought runflats were tires with very stiff sidewalls so that you are not riding on the rim if no air. since i'm recalling some commercial or experiment where a man takes a 1 inch hole saw and drills a gaping hole in a runflat tire and nothing happens, I think this is quite different than fix-a-flat spray gunk.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• javawhzjavawhz Member Posts: 1
    Top Gear review...don't flame me, I'm just passing it along ;)

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/fish/Top_Gear_Crossfire_hi.wmv
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    Seems as though the reviewer has a personal vendetta against the Crossfire. Toyota Celica better than the Crossfire? Give me a break.

- Mark
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Yesterday I received my gift luggage set. It looks like good quality, with "Crossfire" discretely etched in each piece, in addition to the Chrysler "wing". The largest piece has wheels -- they look just like the Crossfire wheels!

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and customization. But since I'm leasing, I wonder if I have to turn it in...and if there is a charge for wear and tear...LOL!!

Anyway, a nice touch... :)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    intrepidspirit-

Does it fit in the car? ;-))

fastdriver
    Yes, it fits with plenty of room to spare (with the other 2 pieces inside the larger suitcase). Now, if all three pieces were full and placed in the trunk, I'm sure it would cover most of the trunk floor.

I got more compliments today...it amazes me how many people stop and look at the Crossfire!

Three coats of Zaino and starting to look really good...
    intrepidspirit-

I think that people have the same reaction to the Crossfire as the 99 300M's. Agree?

fastdriver
  • leftywaynleftywayn Member Posts: 15
    His commentary was so excruciatingly british that you just knew he would have nothing good to say.
    “The suspension has an uncanny ability to turn even the smoothest road into what feels like a mogul field”

Now I've never driven a Crossfire, but I find that statement just a little too much.
  • redbear1redbear1 Member Posts: 5
    Intrepidspirit

I read your post with interest regarding the zaino. I bought the show car polish for clearcoats and the special effects accelerator. My Crossfire is 2 weeks old (gray with the two tone orange and grey interior, automatic with all season tires). Any application or prep tips before I put on my first coat of Zaino?

I agree with you about the people who have stopped to talk about the car and have fallen in love with it. Outside a restaurant the other day what started as two curious people turned into an admiring group of 7, all of whom were thrilled. Co-workers have also loved the ride. I've read all the posts about the no spare and the so called small engine. I disagree with all of them. This car is fun to drive and very quick as far as I am concerned. It is a great overall value for the money and all the other comparisons are far more expensive cars to buy or lease. The soon to be released convertible crossfire and the coupe with faster engine will cost quite a bit more as well.

I absolutely love this car. My satellite radio is in and works awesome.

Redbear1
  • kusheenkusheen Member Posts: 28
    Re the Top gear report...had seen that awhile ago...

First about the suspension...well, it's an upgrade of the SLK suspension. The structure is stiffer, and contains actual suspension bits from both CLK and SLK. THe car pulls more g's on the skid, according to tests by R & T, Motor Trend, et al, than the 350Z or RX 8. It's faster than either through the 700 foot slalom as well.

How does it ride? With a 'soft' sports car suspension, and 40 aspect ratio tires on 18 and 19" rims, it's not a soft car to ride in...none its peers are either.

Finally, gotta take this guy's views with a grain of salt. Unfortunately he's seen his country's auto industry disassembled over the last few decades...

Quiz for you: What are the two largest wholly-owned-by-British car companies????

Answer is: TVR and Caterham.

Yup, they're the biggest.

MG, Lotus, Rolls, Bently, Jaguar, etc. all owned, and greatly improved by, foreign ownership.

The guy's just jealous.
    I am with you redbear1, I also love my Crossfire. I have been driving since '62 and I have owned all types of cars, but this auto is in a class all to itself. It is a unique combination of form, style, performance and substance. I am struggling with no spare after a bad experience, but I still anticipate starting her up for my daily drive to work, or just taking it for an evening spin.
    Found a bubble in my right front side wall on my Crossfire late last week.

Naturally, two Michelin dealers insist it is road hazard damage and not covered, even though the car hasn't hit anything bigger or tougher than a twig or tar strip in the 7 months/3000 miles I've driven it.

Anyway, two Michelin dealers couldn't even find the Pilot Sport PS2 tires in their database. Both contacted Michelin USA, and they said Michelin is totally out of the tires for the Crossfire.

I contacted Michelin myself, and yup, they have NO tires for this car currently in their inventory.

Contacted TireRack, they had 3, yes THREE of the front sized PS2's in stock, now they're down to two...the third is on its way to me.

They said that had a few rears in stock, but not many.

Drive carefully, if you have a flat and want to replace the one tire w/original equipment, your car will be laid up a few days at minimum. Or start pricing those Toyos, Pirellis, etc.
  • redbear1redbear1 Member Posts: 5
    Richard1s

Regarding the no spare, you could buy an extra 18 inch rim and tire and keep it in the garage. When you want to go for a long day trip ride, you can throw it in the back. I believe it will fit. I know it might be a funny ride if the flat occurs in the back but at least you would not be stranded. I remember my Dad taking an extra spare along if we took a long trip when I was a kid.

This car is absolutely amazing. I have the automatic and if I give it a short acceleration in first and then shift to second, you should feel how fast the acceleration is. Better than if I give it all in first. I absolutely love this car and its quickness.

Can't wait to Zaino it.
    Redbear
    Check out the Continental YR's. At about $850 for two 19 & 18's; they seem like a better alternative to replace the ZR Michelin Pilot Sports.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Kusheen- I have always heard that Michelin dealers were really tough on taking back defective tires. Your story sounds like a familiar one. Did they finally cave in on a credit?
    I think the reaction and interest in the Crossfire far exceeds anything I saw in my 300M. However, I got my 2000 M in 2000, almost 2 years after they were were first introduced, so maybe the effect had maybe worn off by then...

I did, however, get a lot of reaction to my 98 Intrepid. The LH cars redesign was very striking and that was the first year model of the new Intrepid...
    re Zaino...

I have always followed the detailed instructions and tips on the zainobros.com web site. They have been very helpful and Sal Zaino will answer any e-mail questions you may have that aren't covered on the site.

In general, I would recommend that you clean the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent to prepare it for the polish (don't ever use Dawn for regular cleaning!). You can use either the Z-1 (1 coat) or use the ZFX additive to the Z-2 or Z-5 polish. You should use the additive maybe every 6 months. Your car will really start to look good after 3 coats. Then maybe a new coat every 3 months (or more often if you feel like it!) I haven't used the Z-6 too often as it seems redundant, but some people swear by it. I always use the Z-7 car wash concentrate. I may spend about $35/year for two cars -- now maybe $50/year for three.

Edmunds has a forum on Zaino under the maintenance category that you may find helpful...

I agree with you on the head-turning looks and value of the Crossfire...this weekend, I saw 2 ads offering the Crossfire @ $30 somethingK and one @ $26,999 (I think it was a standard). My wife knows someone at her work that has the exact twin of our Crossfire. She bought it last year for $42,000...
    intrepidspirit-

You're probably right because it's different looking and sporty. However, Christine was one of the first 300's around here in June of 98 with every option except the PHP. In that Candy Apple Red with the Zaino and that different look and those glistening real aluminum wheels, it was hard NOT to stand out. At traffic lights, if I looked left or right people were staring. I felt very self-conscious. Poor Christine was a looker! Wonder what she looks like now? ;-))

fastdriver
    our Crossfire, I found a nail in the tread of one of the front tires. I took it to Tire Pros (about 2 minutes away) to remove and repair. I also asked them to check the other tires to make sure there were no other nails.

They removed the nail that had punctured the tire and repaired it. They also informed me that there were 2 other nails in the back tires that had not punctured.

I am wondering if someone hates the Crossfire (we haven't had this problem with our 300M's, so it seems to be aimed at the product) or if the tires have some strange magnetism. Or maybe I got the car in that condition (it was a demo with 5,800 miles).

On the bright side, Tire Pros did not charge me for the repair/inspection...
  • environpenvironp Member Posts: 1
    While I like the way this car handles I wonder about the placement of the cup holder. On the 6-speed manual I would think I would bump into my morning coffee. I know the Germans don't think we should be drinking coffee and driving - but I do!
    Intrepidspirit...be VERY thankful you did not have to replace any tires. Right now, the Pilot Sport S2's (NOT the same as the Pilot Sports) generally are not in stock at dealers, and likely won't be stocked because of their limited use. Dealers will need to order.

Cheapest I've seen is Tire Rack...$218 shipped each for the fronts, mid $300's each for the rears.

Also, if I were you I'd change out that repaired tire. The tires lose their speed rating if repaired.

Re the cupholders...yup, dumb place for a cup holder, really is NO good place for one in the car. If the cupholder position is on your A list of features you need in a car, then pass this one by.

Of course, for such things as performance, handling, style, build quality, warranty,it's pretty darned nice. But really crappy cupholder.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Jealousy is hardly the word. Top Gear (and the reviewer in particular) has reviewed seemingly more top-end world cars than anyone else. That guy owns a F355, SL55, etc. And the Crossfire will get compared (on that show) to the best cars in the world... not in the U.S. Therefore I can see why some would have issues with the Crossfire. Here, dealers still are trying to play the dealer markup game. A dealer-marked up Crossfire versus a near-invoice Mazda RX-8? It's not even a contest.
    Well, I see that the DC initial pricing on the SRT-6 is probably going to put me in the mindframe of getting an 04 Vette instead. $46K for the coupe is just a little much. An 04 Vette, towards end-of-production-year closeout with discounts should run about $40K -since Kerbeck has 'em listed that way today. Even an 05, if you could get one, would probably be close to $46K. $10K just to up the hp to 330, and to add a permanent spoiler?? Gulp. [And I actually liked the powered spoiler better than the way the permanent one looks.]
    bigmike5-

I did a double gulp when I saw those prices. Collectors will probably buy them and cross their fingers that they will appreciate like the Vettes.

Speaking of Vettes, do you know anything about Kerbeck? HOW does he manage to get all those Corvettes? He has more NEW Corvettes than ALL the Chevy dealers in the USA put together? Does he have GM connections?

fastdriver
    While Vettes hold their value reasonably well (but not as well as a benz or M3 BMW), I'm pretty sure their values don't appreciate, and are prone to depreciation of value like any other car. There are too many of them, and they all look alike. A great performance car, but certainly not a collectible.

Re the Crossfire pricing. I agree, way too high, Chrysler STILL doesn't get it. Heck, for $40K the Lotus Elise can be had, which frankly is a superior sports car to the Vette or Porsche Boxster.

As a current Xfire owner, my bigger concern is the lower priced Xfire. Doesn't make any difference that the heated seats and a few other gadgets will be gone, visually they will be identical to the current car, and performance wise the same.

Current owners took a bullet for Chrysler.

I've got a deposit on an Elise, should be here in December/early 2005. Can't wait. Was going to keep the Xfire until then, but I think I'm going to try to unload it now, take my losses, before the watered down one comes out and drives my residual down even further.
    Kerbeck is the #1 Vette dealer in the US according to letters from GM that are shown on their web site. I don't know anything about them other than they are always the first ad in the section of Autoweek dealing with cars for sale, their pitch ladies look really foxy, and their advertised prices are lower than anything else I have seen, and they are only a short one-way flight away from where I live. Course I would use their ads to see what my local guy could do first on a deal, since all the servicing would be done locally. I would like to see the gussied up Crossfire SRT-6 though before jumping.
    Tom-- You've had your white Xfire for about a year now, how about a synopsis of your year with the car? Are you out there? Are you going to the Cruise again this year?
    I took my Crossfire in to the 5* dealer last Thursday for some items that needed attention. I got some all too familiar Chrysler 5* dealer service. The car was brought in at noon and promised for 5 P.M. on Friday. There were 8 items to address as follows:

1. Compound or glue stain on crossbar behind the seats.
    2. Water-stained headliner.
    3. Telescoping steering wheel does not lock solidly in place.
    4. No licence plate holder or holes on front of vehicle (manditory in California).
    5. Hesitation on accelerator (compared to my 300M).
    6. Passenger door does not close properly -- sometimes the window gets caught on the rubber seal (sometimes the door even closes with a gap --the window being outside the rubber seal).
    7. The radio display can't be read in the daytime.
    8. The exterior decorative vent on the driver's side has partially come loose from vehicle.

I got the free rental car from Thrifty (on the premises). It was a Neon. On the way home, I noticed the gas guage read just under half-full. I called Thrifty when I got home and they said not to worry about it -- just bring it back as is.

When I went back to get the Crossfire on Friday evening, I returned the rental. They checked it out and then advised me that I hadn't filled it up. I explained what I was told and they said that they needed to put some gas in the car and charge me @ $3/gallon. I advised them I would do it, and since I had driven less than 40 miles in total, I put only $3 of gas in it, which brought it up close to where I remember the gauge was when I got the car. Sheesh!

I picked up the car and found the results of the service were (in same order as above):

1. Stain removed.
    2. Stain not removed.
    3. Part on order.
    4. On order.
    5. Got the dreaded "could not duplicate concern". Sound familiar, fastdriver?
    6. Door is aligned properly -- could be cabin pressure causing problem. (LOL)
    7. New radio on order.
    8. New vent on order.

Bottom line -- 1 1/2 working days -- 1 stain removed. But as usual, they were very cordial (I think this constitutes about 99% of the 5* training).

I'm just glad I didn't have a drifting/pulling problem with the steering, because after the Thrifty experience and the lack of anything done on the car, I simply could not have tolerated another "could not duplicate problem -- could be due to the crown in the road..."
    intrepidspirit-

"5. Got the dreaded "could not duplicate concern". Sound familiar, fastdriver?"

I'm telling you- they MUST learn that at Chrysler "training" school!!! Doesn't seem to matter if it's "5-STAR" or not! ;-))

At least you were treated well. That has to count for something. What, I don't know. You have to look on the bright side.

How did you get a water stained headliner?

fastdriver
    Could this give Crossfire some competition?

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0403/24/c01-101579.htm

fastdriver
    "Got the dreaded "could not duplicate concern". Sound familiar, fastdriver?"

I thought that might bring back fond memories of your service experiences...LOL!

The headliner stain is behind the driver's seat. actually there are several 3 to 4 inch by 1/4 inch stains. This appears to be close enough to the top of the hatch opening to have come from a leak there. I got a service record on the car (it was a demo) and it included a seal/stripping replacement, but it didn't say where. It may have been replaced because of water leaks.

Then again it could have been the passenger door seal/stripping replacement since the door window catches on the stripping, preventing the door from closing properly. Oh, but I forgot, the closing problem was due to cabin pressure...
    Intrepidspirit-Don't discount the possibility of the mechanic wearing a grungy oil or grease covered hat, and having it rub on the headliner while working on the car or sitting in the seat. I've seen that happen, but at least they usually have an industrial strength de-greaser that gets it out.
    No, these stains aren't grease smudges. You can tell by their appearance that they are from a thin liquid (I hope it's water!). And they seems very light, like they are showing through from the other side of the headliner...
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    that journalist is such a dweeb.
    ruski-

Mmm...I THOUGHT he was well-respected. I see his name a lot of places. I'll have to pay more attention to who writes these articles. Sounds like the newer Crossfires are getting nearer in price to the Mercedes! Don't think that will fly.

BTW- Your poor Merritt Parkway has been inundated with traffic due to I-95 being closed BOTH directions in Bridgeport as a result of a tanker vs car accident. The Northbound lane is now open, but the southbound lane had to be completely knocked down and replaced with a temp bridge until it can be rebuilt which was JUST completed before the heat warped the iron girders.

No speeding in this area right now.

fastdriver
    wow...

but then, last time I visited CT, even without any accidents traffic was very, very bad. I had to drive from Milford to Guilford and it took me forever to get there.
    One of my car rags--maybe M/T this month had stats on yearly sales of the various sportscars. I was surprised to see that the Crossfire figure was in the 2,000's. Mazda RX-8 for comparison was over 8,000. I have seen some RX-8 but not one Crossfire on the road. No wonder they have started discounting them $5K. My dealer still has the red automatic I drove last June!! Maybe it will go on Premier Night, the 22nd of April. Maybe...just maybe. lol
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    I know what you mean by that I saw the same magazine although I have seen some Crossfires not as many as RX-8, or 350Z yet though. I thought that Chrysler wanted to sell 30K unit on the Crossfire? It doesn't look like it will happen yet unless that add more rebates or that cheaper model comes out in 2005. As for the discounts Crossfire was over price to start out with so no surprise there.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    im thinking of getting a crossfire. i am pretty much set on it as i have just sold my car. i test drove it and loved it, but the real reason i am getting it is because i got an amazing deal from my dealer here in l.a. they are giving me 17k miles a year, 39 months, and with 3 down i will be paying 299 a month. does that sound like a good deal to you guys?
    a lease obviously
    have you seen the nation-wide Crossfire lease ads on TV?

they feature $299 per month with a lower downpayment. Although I am not sure about how many miles they allow per year. 17K miles is a good amount.
    have seen those, but it is 299 a month with 12k a year and its about 3k down.
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    If you think you are going to be driving about 17K a year why not buy the car?
    'cause it sounds like a greatn lease deal ;)
    nissan350z-

AND....if it turns out to be a lemon, DC OWNS it and takes the loss!

fastdriver
    friends is exactly why. i dont take any lose this way, get a 35k car for the price of a 20k car and loads of miles. if it werent for the miles they are giving me i probably would not be getting it because i drive about 17k a year.