Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    A good friend of mine got a late 2004 Crossfire last summer.

Is there a way to plug in an iPod directly into the radio unit. Maybe where a CD changer would go.

iTrip FM transmiter isn't that good, and ... No tape adapter ...

Any one has an iPod in their Crossfire???
  • drbobdrbob Member Posts: 3
    I think it is the other way around. The limited is a stripped down base. The car was offered as a counter to the perceived high price of the base car. My Crossfire was delieverd to the dealer 12/26/03 and it has everything. The limited was introduced later.
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    No, I double checked myself. The Crossfire not Limited is the base one in 2005. In 2004 the Crossfire had no Limited so there was no base, but just the Crossfire. In 2005 they came out with Crossfire, Crossfire Limited, Crossfire SRT-6 and Roadsters as well.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I think this is correct.. the original "base" was loaded, just like the Limited....

They started the Limited designation, so that they could offer an actual "base" version, with less options and a lower price..

So, in summary... the Limited is the same as the original base car... and the new base car is the "stripped" model.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sennaspiritsennaspirit Member Posts: 1
    fast drive...fyi...just saw this in person at the DC Auto show. The car falls short on looks in person, the rear end is choppy and not the sleak appearance that I hoped for as seen in the original concept car. No problems for the Crossfire with this one
  • ron12ron12 Member Posts: 1
    I have and 2004 Chrysler Crossfire,my problem is, when applying the brakes the auto will miss,stall,surg. It will continue to do this for about seven or eight seconds, then slowley recover. If I take it out of gear, it will recover quicker. The dealership tech's have no answer,and wish that I would go away, Chrysler has turned a deaf ear.It does not do this at every stop,just periodically.Does anyone have and answer?
    You are right on the 04 and 05 models. As you can tell, I am not a real affectionato,just a fan.

My brother-in-law, who is in the business, is telling this is the last year for xfire. They are not selling. It will be replaced with another "fire" name and will compete with the Viper.
    I haven't heard for sure... I don't really follow Chrysler cars... But, I did get my Car and Driver last night..and it was on the cover... but, I haven't read it.

It is some kind of new ____ fire.. But, I doubt Chrysler is building a car to compete with their own Viper.. Although it did say something about 400 HP... It may be just a concept car, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• xfireroadsterxfireroadster Member Posts: 81
    The concept car you are talking about ids the Chrysler Fire Power. The car is not to replace the Crossfire, but to fill a space between the Crossfire SRT and the Dodge Viper. Right now the Fire Power is a concept, but will be produced in some fashion, most likely during the 2006 - 2007 production year and be priced around $70,000.00 - $80,000.00 range. I will hold on to my Crossfire Roadster Limited, if the Fire Power is produced I will be one of the first in line to buy one. The sales of the Crossfire have been low, but with introduction of the Roadster sales have picked up. I don't think DChrysler AG will stop making the Xfire for at least two more production years.
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    I give the current Crossfire at least a 5 year run until they replace it or stop making them. After all it is still on the old MB 320 SLK which will get dated as time goes by.
  • cjv141cjv141 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience driving the Crossfire in snow? I am very interested in he car but need it to be a daily use car in the upper midwest.
    I have had my '04 since November 6 of 04. The honeymoon has given way to reality getting to know the car at a "deeper level."

The CONS:

The most back braking ride I have ever expereinced over rough roads.

Can be hard to get into and out of.

The shift mechanism is clumpsy and mysterious at low speed.

Visibility is frighteningly abysmal. Make sure the righthand side view mirror is adjusted to compensate.

Interior "fit and finish," especially the glove box, is less than exemplarary.

I live in the Seattle area, land of rain and hills,(usaully steep hills). I should have thought of that before I opted for 6 speed manual. Not fun when you are in heavy traffic and the idiot behind you is 7.6 inches you bumper.

The PRO's:

Art deco styling gets lots of looks and questions.

Performance, (based on what I a mused to), is responsive. Handling is supurb.

Considering the powerplant and weight ratios, I get excellent milage (around 24.7).

So, would I do it again. Since I got the car for under 24K, probably. But I would not spend 30K for one.
  • duke7duke7 Member Posts: 3
    I too would like to hear about the Crossfire in snow. I understand they have traction control and stability programming and optional ASP tires, but what is the real outcome??

Also, I need to carry a racing bicycle, has anyone found a solution for carrying a bike?

Thanks, Duke7
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...Bee: 2/11/2005 - - Chrysler Crossfire, 6-speed $24,995.

The salesman last year that told my bud $45k - - - "take it or leave it" .....

....I smell embarrassmenment here....

ez
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Last year in this forum there was concern about treadware on the Crossfire tires (total value ~ $1,200). Some estimates were less than 15,000 mile life. I was concerned because my lease was for 39,000 miles and mine was a demo with 5,800 miles already on the tires. So I would have ~ 44,800 miles @ turn-in.

I am happy to say that after 18,500 miles, it appears that there is still plenty of tread on the originals. The tires are not really close to the wear bar yet.

I expect to have to replace the originals once before turn-in, but it looks like it will be ONLY once. I'm going to guess that I could stretch the original tires to ~ 30,000 miles...
  • duke7duke7 Member Posts: 3
    Does the spoiler always come up at speed, or can you keep it in the down position. I would like to find a bicycle carrier for the car and I can imagine the spoiler will need to stay down.

Thx, Duke
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    There is a manual override control for the spoiler on the dash. I have only used it for washing the spoiler opening. However, I believe that, while in manual mode, the spoiler will only open manually.
    There is a manual switch for the spoiler, which can be raised and lowered manually. The switch does not technically override the deployment of the spoiler. The spoiler will deploy at 62 MPH for stability and retract at 32MPH. The only way to keep the spoiler down (which is not a good idea at high speeds) is to pull the fuse.
  • desoto2desoto2 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone aware of any SRT electrical problems? I have a new convertible and after sitting for a few days, there is no power to any circuit even though the battery is fully charged.
  • juxmasterjuxmaster Member Posts: 1
    I just got an SRT6 roadster and it has Navigation System.
  • hey19hey19 Member Posts: 2
    I just saw this posting, i'm not sure if it's too late, but the car is HORRIBLE IN THE SNOW. Even a little flurry you can't drive. The so called traction control I find to be a joke! Hope you didn't waste your money!
  • hey19hey19 Member Posts: 2
    This car is HORRIBLE in the snow! Unless you don't want to go anywher! Even in an inch of snow you don't move.

Don't waste your money.
    If you have the ASP tires its not to bad, just put some weight in the trunk. If you are running on the PS2's you are gonna have problems.
  • wkarsonwkarson Member Posts: 4
    Hey gents (and gals if you're out there) I'm new to this board and have not looked through the 613 other posts to see if there has already been a thread on engine mods for the Crossfire.

No I would not consider the SRT-6, as the extra $$$ is way overboard just to get that engine.

I've looked around the www, but haven't either found anything or haven't looked deep enough.

Any insight would be great. Thanks all!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We have a new message board Speed Shop: Tuning & Modifications all about performance mods. You might want to ask your question there as well.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    The posts about pricing, leasing have been moved to the following discussion:

Chrysler Crossfire / Crossfire SRT-6: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Please continue your pricing conversation there.

Thanks!
  • marcogonmarcogon Member Posts: 2
    anyone out there have the GPS? Can't find a pic of it anywhere on www. Dealer has no more brochures and I want to order it. Is it a screen like others, and where do they fit it?
    Thanx
  • derf2derf2 Member Posts: 1
    At 100 miles my SRT6 did exactly the same thing. Dealer replaced the battery saying it wouldn't hold a charge. Today, at 567 miles the same thing happened after sitting in a garage for 6 days. There is absolutely no power to anything.
  • jimboojimboo Member Posts: 1
    To intrepid spirit(#604)...What kind of tires do you have???Some are Michelin and some art Conti Touring "Contact'. Remember...Correct inflation pressure is vital... :)
  • jlettie1jlettie1 Member Posts: 9
    Test drove the convertible Crossfire with the performance tires. Tires were noisey.
    The performance tire are run flat tires because there is no spare tire. Test drove a vehicle with the all season tires,ran much better and quieter. Asked the salesman about the spare for the all season tires. If a customer wants a spare tire the cost is $350.00 more besides the charge for the other 4 tires. I felt :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: this is a rip-off. Buyer beware. I also learned the the tire life for the performance tires is very short similar to the Nissan 350Z. Salesman claimed the the sales of the Crossfire are very high and very limited. If the sales are so robust why does chrysler offer a rebate of a $1,000.00. Buyer Beware.
  • woohoo71woohoo71 Member Posts: 2
    Where do I start? From day one, the windshield sprayer didn't work and the spoiler would stay jammed in the up position. 2 visits later, mechanics reproduced their so-called code and fixed that. I should add that the car had a scratch down one side which no one has said anything about though I reported it. Then the clock started to advance on it's own, sometimes as much as 5 min per week ahead of the actual time. I took it to the dealer twice and they couldn't find the problem. I took it there for a third time where instead, they told me there's a new code for repair/replacement of the instrument panel and so I had to take care of that. I'd never had a problem with the instrument panel. It took 6 weeks for a new panel to arrive, meanwhile, the dealer had failed to tell the manufacturer to send one with my exact mileage on it and not a zero-miles guage. I don't even know if they put in the so-called zero panel or not as my miles seem accurate, approximately 16,500 miles at this point. I recently got a message from the dealer saying the right instrument panel has arrived which I sort of question since my car hasn't been just parked and waiting this whole time; there's new miles on it!! Meanwhile the clock still hasn't remained in sync with my watch which incidently had a new battery when I reset it to test it out. The dealer keeps asking which clock is defective everytime I call them. They keep insisiting that there's a clock on the radio as well as the one in the instrument panel. I have yet to see the clock on the radio. New problem, my instrument panel no longer displays what gear I'm driving in! Then, to add insult to injury, after I got the oil-changed at Jiffy Lube and they didn't shut off the oil-change icon, I went to the dealer to see if they could show me. The dealer said to show me was to do it and they don't reset the icon based on the manual but instead hook up to some $8000 computer to do it so it doesn't reset the odometer which was what I wanted to avoid to begin with. The charge? $90. $90!!!!!!! The manager literally said that they have to charge that much to pay off the computer. You could teach a monkey to reset the icon w/o resetting the odometer. Why would I have to pay? I basically got them to comp that but when I got the car back, my odometer was reset to 0 which is a huge pet peeve. Boy was I mad! Let's not forget the $180 oil-change fee which incidently was not discussed when I got the car or the massive blind-spot kept hidden from me thanks to the salesperson backing up the car out of what seemed like courtesy. I'm sure legally I have the right to turn in the car since the clock issue wasn't fixed on 3 attempts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's filed complaints with the nhtsa and a complaint website about Chrysler's failed attempt at a sports car!!! I've also advised a law-firm who looks into consumer complaints and have named Daimler-Chrysler as the defendant, citing all my grievances. No serious reply from the law firm yet. Apparently, I haven't grieved enough or there aren't enough people complaining about their Crossfires. We need to band-up people! It's a total love-hate relationship I have with this car. Oy! (No, I'm not Jewish but I love my Jewish friends who might've bought an actual Mercedes or something more reliable.) Help!

H.I.
  • dcfvaxmandcfvaxman Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if anyone has answered your question but here is my response. I have the GPS and it works great. It is small and does not have a map display but the text and voice directions work very well. Hope this helps.
  • dcfvaxmandcfvaxman Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Crossfire since September. To my dismay, I just broke my key. Can you believe that a new key will cost you $256? When I talked to the dealership this falling under the warantee, they said that it was my fault. I have keys hang for the end of the key, which put torque on the key and broke it. Why do you have a loop on the end if you aren't supposed to have additionals keys hanging from it. I had no choice but to order a new one. Then I got the idea of checking with another dealership. They told me that the key was covered and proceed to open a work order to replace the key. I was overwhelmed. I called the first dealership to cancel my original order which was place the previous day. They told me that I couldn't cancel it and then put my car on restriction which meant that no other dealership could cover the key under the warantee. I'm not done with this arguement yet but I don't think it is right that one dealership can make a ruling and then over ride all other dealerships from allowing me to get my replacement key.
  • patmanpatman Member Posts: 1
    Okay it gets 46.5 miles per gallon.. The trade off is 13.5 secs 0-60. Now when I enter a highway I don't want to be run over by a semi going 75. What good is the pennies you save on gas when your dead? I'm sorry but I'll pay for the gas and stay alive. I own a 300M and love it. Crossfires are quite the lookers and so are the 350z's but give me a good old Corvette so many less problems.
  • crossfirebillcrossfirebill Member Posts: 1
    What would you like to know ?
  • myxfiremyxfire Member Posts: 8
    I got my xfire back on Dec. 29, 2004. It's the 2005 Roadster limited. It has the GPS
    I love the car, when I test drove the 350Z the GPS was the bigger screen, I can't remember if it was color or not. The xfire has GPS which is part of radio. I can't see
    until I put my glasses on. But, you shouldn't be setting or watching while driving anyway. The programming I still haven't gotten it down to a science just yet. I think
    if you needed to use on a long trip it would be ok. It was pretty funny the first night
    I had it we were driving back from our sons and I think the dealership had put in our address and we were going a different way and all of a sudden someone says in 200 feet you need to make a right turn. We did not make that turn and then it kept saying as soon as you can make a u turn. It's really handy to be able to plug-in for certain restaurants, according to types, etc. Well, have fun even if you don't get one. I'm very
    short and me husband is avg and he says myxfire isn't as comfortable as his old MG's
    I mean old like a 46 right hand drive no seat belts, wood frame, etc. he just loves that car. I love mine, too. They both get a lot of looks and conversations.

Let us know how you make out.
  • desertfiredesertfire Member Posts: 1
    I am now due for my first oil change and in taking a quick glance under the car it would appear that there is a plastic sheild that covers the oil pan. Does this have to be removed to drain the oil
  • mrphxmrphx Member Posts: 8
    The radio display is where you interact with the GPS. I found it rather cumbersome to manipulate. They should have a software program you can load on your computer where, in the comfort of your home, you can program the GPS and through a USB type port on the unit and a mobile storage device you can load your destinations.
    I've recently purchased an '05 Crossfire Roadster Limited and have noticed a vibration in the steering wheel between 60 and 66 MPH. At any other speed (up to 140mph) the wheel is rock solid. Any ideas?
  • leebroleebro Member Posts: 8
    I just heard that Chrysler is coming up with a great deal to compete with the GM "employee price" deals. I'm the proud owner of a 300M in need of AC work, which is a must do in FL. (Freon leak under the dash - $400+ for parts, $1000 labor to remove and replace dash)
    I like very much like the exterior of the Crossfire. Unfortunately the console with all the stainless or aluminum turns me completely off. And I usually like stainless. Has anyone knowledge of, or better yet experience with, an after-market wood kit?
    Does anyone know if the power accessory delay can be programmed to keep power to the radio and windows after the car is turned off until a door is opened? Currently on the '05 Roadster the radio is powered for what seems to be a 5-10 second after the ignition is turned off and the key removed.
    Can't speak for the Xfire... but, on most cars with retained power.. the power stays on until you open a door.... Maybe you are opening the door, and thinking it is on a timer? Just a WAG...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pam48pam48 Member Posts: 3
    Regarding electrical problems with the SRT6 - I have had my Crossifre SRT6 for only 5 1/2 weeks and it has been in the service department at the dealership for the past 3 1/2 weeks. There is an electrical wiring problem causing indicator lights on the dash to be on and the radio lights and console lights not to work. They are unable to fix the problem. Even after hours of talking with engineers at Chrysler, they can not fix the problem. Apparently, no one has the proper schematics to figure out the wiring. The car has only 460 miles on it right now and the dealership has had the car longer than I have!
  • pam48pam48 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my SRT-6 5 1/2 weeks ago and it has been in the shop for the past 3 1/2 weeks. Are there any happy SRT-6 owners out there? I am reading in this forum about all the problems, but are there any positive comments?
    I have the Conti ASP tires on my 2005 Crossfire Roadster Limited, never experienced any problems as yet. As far as "Run Flat" tires, the salesman misinformed you........DChrysler does not supply "Run Flat" tire's on Crossfire's. You can get the "Run Flat" tires but they are very expensive. As far as spare tires....I purchased 2 on Ebay , an 18" w/Conti ASP and a 19" w/Conti ASP total cost for all was $600.00 + S/H and I keep them stored in my garage.
    What kind of tires are on your Xfire? Is the car also pulling in anyone direction? If you are riding on the Michelins, then this could be your problem. Michelins are know to "cup" and give you an uneven ride at low speeds.
    I have the Continental tires, no pulling to either side just the vibration between 60 to 66 mph. The majority of driving I do is freeway at speeds of 60 to 80 mph and I've noticed that the vibrations occurs 90% of the time at the speeds I've indicated regardless of tire conditions, hot or cold, or pavement, concrete or asphalt.
  • 77goldwing77goldwing Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Ltd Roadster. Found it dead one Saturday morning. Wife had last driven it on Tuesday. I threw a battery booster on it and it started right up. Found the trunk was not closed all the way - I think there is a light on in there. We keep it covered, so it was not noticed.
    I ran across a product called Turbonator that claims to improve hp and mileage substantially. Has anyone tried the product?
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    Don't waste your money. these things are pure hokum. If you can afford a xfire you must be able to put gas in it LOL !!

believer