Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I just brought my car in for the second radio failure (they replaced the unit at 225 miles). I am told that the problem stems from a voltage issue when starting the unit.

Two suggestions from Nissan
    1) Start the car slower; this would serve no purpose

2) Await a TSB due in "4-6 weeks" no time frame is specified. Nissan is faulting the design of the Clariion single-cd in dash unit. I am told this TSB will recommend switching the existing unit for a newly available unit. I would say that this qualifies the problem as widespread.

How have you folks dealt with this issue?
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    Very interesting article. Perhaps it would be well for Erin Riches, Edmonds.com editor to read this article.
  • laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    I really like this van for a lot of the value it delivers and it trumps the domestic competition hands down, even 2005 DC in many aspects, which I viewed today (hit the lots locally on 2/12/04). The Quest 3.5S with standard side curtain air bags (nobody else does it), leg room, hip room, and shoulder room at top of class, CD player rather than cassette, and folding second row and third row seats is tough to beat in the $25,000 and under category.

But in the end, we could not get past the roar of the heater in the rear seats and the difficulty to get any heat, in reciculation mode or fresh air mode, in a timely manner on a cold day. Also, although it had easily best legroom out there in a minivan, we felt the extra inch of head room in the third row in the Ody will come in handy as our kids hit 6 feet and higher.

This Quest van will sell well, but for $2000 less than sticker and long term good resale value, 2004 Honda Ody, even with its dated design and some tranny issues, was the one for us.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I guess it depends on what part of the country that you live in. Around here (Cleveland) today's paper advertised 1.9% financing on the Quest and the local dealer has at least 10 Quests that have been on his lot for more than a month.

Unless he is over charging and that is why he can't sell these van, I can't understand why he would have so many available all of the time. I don't see them on the roads around here.

Might just be our area though.
  • bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    Van was in the shop for two days last week.
    The heater and fan stoppped working all of sudden. I though it was a factory defect but turn out it was a sqiurrel used the fan compartment to store their winter food (acorns). The whole compartment was full of acorns and jammed the fan and busted the relay. Costed me $650 to fix the problem.
    Forgot to add ... an email from my buddy said," - content - "
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    inventory is kept at the same level all the time. nissan's policy is this:

you sell one, you get one. we have had over a dozen constantly since august, but they change over every 45-75 days.
  • jack1619jack1619 Member Posts: 6
    Question, can I use regular gasoline or do I really need the expensive premium gasoline? I would love to hear from you on this and other tips on the new Quest.
    Thanks,
    Jack
    no, regular is recommended. premium wont hurt, but i wouldnt waste my money.
  • ron1027ron1027 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the tip! Just last week I caught a squirrel with a peanut heading straight for our SL when I was on my way to start it up and go to work in the morning. I think I managed to chase him away this time but if I have the same problem in the future, I'll know what to have the technician look at first. (Our neighbor feeds these pests and I think that's where the squirrel found the peanut).

$650 for the fix? I'd say "NUTS" to that. I'm surprised the factory warranty won't cover that (act of nature, perhaps?). There must be a disclaimer somewhere in all that fine, fine print!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I have heard of quite a few cases where rats made nest in cars (since it is warm in the winter after being driven) and dies when it was started, and causing awful smell. In Germany some cars had to have the wiring replaced because rats had chewed it up so badly, costing upwards of $10,000. Consider yourself lucky.

When I was taking flight lesson, a preflight checklist included looking inside the engine cowl to verify that there was no bird nest.
    Once I saw it on the net that to tie a small bundle of German Shephard hair somewhere in your engine campartment will keep the rodants away from your engine.
  • skramer1skramer1 Member Posts: 10
    I have ordered an SL which has all the features I want, except fog lights.I noticed on past postings on this site,there was some disscussion on fog lights,but I'm not clear on the way to go.
    Has anybody out there had them installed ?By the Dealer,or Aftermarket ? Is there a Nissan kit,or do you have to go for an generic type?
    call the dealer's parts dept. the kit comes with instructions, or you can spend an hour of labor for them to do it.
    Thanks,Bowke28.I'll do that !
  • wblevinwblevin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Town & Country AWD now. The 2004 T&C does not have all the features that I would like- the 2005 does but eliminates the AWD. I am down to deciding between the Quest (which does not have AWD) or the Sienna. My T&C handles GREAT in the snow - no slipping or sliding even on hills. Choices are very limited for AWD now. Can anyone tell me how the Quest handles in the snow? Thanks.
    the stability control on the quest makes all the difference...it makes it feel like AWD, but without the $3000 hike in price.
  • slhmtbslhmtb Member Posts: 3
    skramer1, let us know if you have success getting fog lights. I talked to my dealer a couple months ago and they didn't have a kit. I hope that has changed.
    I pick up my quest SL tomorrow.My dealer has the fog light kit,and was prepared to install the fog lights,but the cost quoted to me was much more than I'm prepared to pay.Over $600.Canadian,or about $425 US.He said that all the lighting wiring would have to be replaced with a new package.I'll be looking at the aftermarket for them next week !
    I picked up my Nordic Pearl White SL last Saturday.If you are considering buying a new Quest,take a look at this color.I am very pleased with it.I'm also amazed at how roomy it is.I've only had it two days now,but I sure think I made the right choice in the Quest.
  • slhmtbslhmtb Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, that is what my dealer told me too. Over $400 for a Nissan install. Let me know if you find some good aftermarket lights. Thanks.
  • nicklesnickles Member Posts: 41
    My dealer doesn't seem to know much about these, and I don't think they are available as an option from Nissan..
    Has anyone purchased any aftermarket HID lamps and installed them?

Also, has anyone added an aftermarket spoiler on their Quest.. Curious to know how your experience was, if so.
    On earlier postings,I asked for thoughts on the alternative to a bug and stone deflector for my new Quest.I decided to go for the 3M Film application here in Calgary.I am extremely pleased with it .I went for the 24 inch application at a cost of $225.(can)($165.(us))
    I have a Nordic White Quest and it is just about invisable.
  • 2hott2hott Member Posts: 3
    I have unconfirmed reports that the Quest SL models will begin shipping with the optional Skyview roof by the end of March has anyone else heard this rumor? All dealers tell us it is only an option on the SE. Absolutely LOVE this van but we GOTTA have the Skyview roof and don't want to pony up the $ for the SE. My wife's brother works at the manufacturing plant in Smyrna Tennessee and told us to wait cause the SL's with Skyview are definitely on the WAY WHOOOHOOO! This is the deciding factor for us and I wanted to know if any of you have also heard this?
    i dont know how your brother-in-law would know, since the quest is built in mississippi.
    The Smyrna facility currently cranks out 1000 Altimas per day so you are currect but I thought if anyone would know it would be him. We're in the suburbs of Chicago and have already found a dealer that swears he just got one in 3 days ago its on showroom floor!

-Smoke SL
    -SL upgrade Seat Pkg
    -DVD Entertainment
    -SkyView Roof
    -Floor Mats

MSRP $31,550

With the V.P.P program $27,488.66 +TTL @ 1.9%

Seems too good to be true can't wait to see it!
    the smyrna plant makes altimas, sentras, maximas, frontiers, and xterras. this summer, they will start making pathfinders too. the quest is 100% built in canton along side the titan, armada, and a few maximas and a few altimas.

also, what is the 1st character of the VIN?
    5N1BV28U34N348859
    '5' means mississippi. if it were in smyrna, it would be a '1'.
  • thosukuthosuku Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know how to activate air only for the driver side while driving alone. I donot want fan running on the passenger side too when no one else is in the van but me. I'd appreciate your suggestions.
    I purchased my Quest'04 SE in October 2003. I got 4.35% on finance from dealership. Given that in recent months, Nissan is offering 1.9%, is there a way for me to lower my interest rate? Did anyone refinance a new purchase in few months time? Thanks.
  • weaselinsuitweaselinsuit Member Posts: 78
    I too live in Calgary (Go Flames) and was wondering if you would mind sharing which dealer you bought your Quest at and whether it was a pleasant experience? I've narrowed my choices down to a Quest or a Sienna (which given how long it took me to do that, likely means I'll be ready to buy in a year or so lol).
    you have to close the vents on that side. when you operate only the driver temperature, it still blows on that side. there are 2 thermostats, but only 1 fan.
    Thanks. But I have noticed that on the display panel, it shows temperature only for the driver side when defog is set. With this setting, air blows only on the floor for driver. But when I change the setting, passenger side also gets turned on.
    is for the whole window. it cant have 90 degrees on the driver side of the window and 72 on the pass. side. it wouldnt work that way. it deactivates the pass. temp. there is still only 1 fan. the defog setting has a different function than the regular heat or A/C.

now...if you want the driver temp. ONLY, you push the "dual" button till it says driver.

but if you want the air to blow only on you, then you must close the passenger vents.
    I purchased my Quest SL from Brasso Nissan.I had a poor experience with Fish Creek Nissan,and went over to Brasso.By the way,I love my Quest SL No problems.Rides smooth as silk.I too looked at the Sienna,but the features and appearance of the Quest won out.
    Thanks for the info, was Brasso willing to move much on the price?
  • catlady245catlady245 Member Posts: 19
    Hi all,

My husband's 1990 Toyota Corolla is quickly nearing the end of its very useful and economical life. Its heart and lungs are still functioning well, but its body is rusting!

My van quest started last Fall because we didn't think the old car would pass inspection in December but she did! Unfortuately, my dear husband was driving down a steep snowy hill this past winter and lost control of the car and hit a curb hard. Ever since that incident, the right front tire has been vibrating and there is probably approx of $200 in repairs needed. So we decided to head on out and view the vans!

Today we looked at the -new 2005 Grand Caravan and the 2004 Quest. The lady at the Nissan dealer ship advised the folding third row seats were the most advanced in the industry but I guess she hasnt heard maybe didn't want us to know about the new Stow and Go system that Dodge is now offering.

As a short person, I felt it was extremely difficult to adjust the third row of seating. The seat was extremely heavy. Do others find the same problem?

After test driving the Nissan and the Dodge, I'm still not convinced on either. The Dodge had extremely comfortable seating and the Stow n Go was easy to operate.. but I'm concerned about spending $30,000 on a second vehicle and the transmission going around 50,000 miles. The Quest rode well, but the drivers seat wasn't as comfortable and the third row seats were very hard move! Also, I don't know if we need the longest van next to the delivery vans on the planet!

Oh I also forgot, I looked at the Madza MPV and felt the length was ok but it felt narrow in the width department. Our main car is a Subaru Outback and sometimes it feels like we're in a Submarine.
    When we picked our 2004 Quest SL, we wanted 2nd & 3rd row seat collapsible. I am pretty strong, but to get the third row down I have to step into the well and pull / step backwards. Needless to say my wife will never be doing it. We also realized there is almost no reason should would ever collapse it.

I will put large things in the car, go skiing, etc. If she really needed to, because she bought a stair master on an impulse someone from the store could do it for her, since they would also have to put whatever large object in the car for her, she is not nearly as strong as I am.

2nd row seats collapse easily. She could also put something in that way through the sliding doors.

I drove a 2003 T&C for a week (Nissan paid for it) I thought that drove like an old truck, the styling was poor, the ride was choppy and rough. I would doubt that the ride of the T&C has improved much (is it the same engine / trans?).

For all my headaches with the Quest the ride is terrific, the heated seats (even with cloth!) are great during the cold blasts we have gone through (up to -10F). Th ability to put full sheets of wood (4 x 8) and a 11 foot package into the car without sticking things out the window or leaving the tailgate open are terrific - PS I have used this van to haul stuff - which is why we buy these larger vehicles, isn't it?
  • 2004quest2004quest Member Posts: 13
    Plashenick, are you following instructions from the manual on folding the seats? I have heard a lot of people complaining about this, but by their description it seems like they push the back forward first then pull back on the folded seat to bring it into the well. This is not how it is supposed to be done. As per the manual - push the little button on the seat back to release the lock mechanism then pull the (unfolded) seat into the well with the strap. Then holding on to the handle located under the seat fold it over. This way it is really easy. Hope this helps.
    Hi 2004Quest

Your description of folding flat the 3rd row seats is how the salesperson demonstrated to us.

Unfortuately, when a person is on 5 foot and not very strong, it's a difficult and straining procedure!
  • frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    which part is difficult?

My 5-foot 11 year old son does it easily enough
    The most difficult part was the putting the seat back up, but actually the whole process was straining.

Just because two people are the same height, doesn't mean they have the same strength. 40 year old Women are built differently from 11 year old boys-Women usually have shorter torsos and longer legs) I had a broken neck 20 years ago and have to be very careful about pulling heavy objects.

Oh one more thing Frittob, the location of the Nissan dealership were you bought your van is actually closer to Washington PA than McMurray. I live in Mt Lebanon and drove many miles past Peters/McMurray to find the John Sisson yesterday. It's funny they have this huge new showroom but no Quest was inside. Are you planning to have all your service done at that location. Bethel Park is a long way to Washington, PA unless of course you work in the area.
    Yes,Brasso are willing to deal,but they are still in business to make a profit(as they told me).I got ,what they call the "Club" price,or "Fleet" price.They seem quite upfront about pricing,which I didn't get at Fish Creek.
    Thanks
  • hmomexhmomex Member Posts: 34
    Hi, I'm on the market for a minivan, Quest is our most likely choice so far, anyone knows what new features will came on the 2005 model?
    i have to agree with 2004quest. ive operated all the 3rd row seats in the industry except the dodge. (honda, nissan, toyota, ford, mazda)

the nissan is the easiest to operate. honda requires the long lean-in to fold down, toyota's seats are split, but also heavy. ford and mazda use the same mechanism, and although not very heavy, they are overly complicated.

bottom line is this:

if the nissan 3rd seat is too much for you, then i think you might not be meant to operate a folding 3rd seat in the first place. no offense intended...just making an observation.
  • 2004quest2004quest Member Posts: 13
    Also, unfoldig the seat is also very easy if you
    reverse the steps of the 'right way of folding' the seat. That is, first using the handle (not the strap) which shows on top when the seat is in the well, lift only the seat portion until it clicks, then using the strap tilt it over (requires minimal strength) to snap into locked position.
    I find the folding and unfolding of the seat pretty easy but what I think what Nissan should try to find an answer to is a neat storage place for the headrests when they are off the seat for folding both in third & second rows. In fact the bag that they have provided for this purpose which hangs behind the third row seat actually has to be taken off for smooth operation of the folding & unfolding of the third row seat.
    Overall, I love the Quest. It drives great -smmooooth transmission, powerful responsive engine. And the skyview roof on the SE makes such a diference. I had my share of the door rattle problem on both passenger & driver side sliding door but was fixed by the dealer.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I drove a 2003 T&C for a week (Nissan paid for it) I thought that drove like an old truck, the styling was poor, the ride was choppy and rough. I would doubt that the ride of the T&C has improved much (is it the same engine / trans?). <<

That's very odd. Maybe you had something wrong with the vehicle you got. Look at any car review of the last few years, and while the T&C gets dinged for now fold flat seats, and past reliability issues, the 2 biggest things are universally paraised for are ride and styling. What about the styling do you feel is "poor"? Certainly if you felt that the van rode like "an old truck", something was amiss. Maybe the fact that you were put in a rental for an entire week with a brand new car tainted your experience.