Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    I have heard that at May 26, the new quest will
    begin to be built. When do you think the van will
    arrive at dealer show room? Originally, we hope
    to buy 8 seat minivan. Thus the only one will be
    Sienna LE with 8 seats. But After I check it out, I find that without armrest at the second row,
    it is very uncomfortable, so we return back to look for 7 seat minivan. Thus we have more choices- Ody, Sienna, and Quest. But we need to buy it at July. I hope at that time, new Quest will be at Dealer show room.
  • st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    We are not in such hurry, our second child will not be so soon, but still I'll better talk to my Nissan dealer, to see Quest before I'll do my final decision.
  • jbond_007jbond_007 Member Posts: 3
    So well put that it does summarize dilemma most of the new van buyers have. I am also looking at Ody EXL-RES or Sienna XLE-DVD (&NAV). So far sienna seems to be the winner (except for price). Does anybody know if Quest has improved on the safety/crash test results?

I am also waiting for quest to arrive in the showrooms, from the pics seems a good design and well thought features. Interior either you will love it or will hate it. I will have to see it pics are not giving a feel.

Given reliablity of Ody and Sienna, Quest has to be at a lower price for me to buy it. For what I know of seems like Nissan is planning to price at 25k-30k range which means same as Ody/Sienna.
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    Based on the pics I've seen of this beauty, I can't wait to see it in person and test drive it. I called the Nissan dealer in Tucson and they tell me it won't arrive until around August.
    What I can see of the pics, the interior is really dynamic; very futuristic looking. And, the exterior has very clean cut lines. I just hope the final pricing is something I can afford.
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    If reliability is such a main concern, then you should remove the Odyssey from your list a put the MPV in its place.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Is right I had an oddy for four months. We ran in to bad wind buffeting noise and hard start condition.
    I just called into my neighborhood Herb, and DarCars dealerships, and they told me "late June is Quest 2004 arrival time". Washington DC. Other dealers told "September", or "Fall".
    Design of new Quest 2004 is awesome for me. A am so hungry for testdrive..... Hope this van will be our great for my family.
    http://www.infinitihelp.com/Nissan/Models/2004/Quest/Photos.htm
  • cmanmdcmanmd Member Posts: 1
    This van looks great, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will require premium as have all new nissans with the 3.5L engine lately.

Does anyone have any info yet?
  • FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    I just received an email from my dealer here in Charleston, SC. Was told the 2004 Quest would arrive in July. No info on pricing or other details. My wife and I test drove a Pacifica today - absolutely knockout concept, but much less luggage space than a minivan, 6 seats, the rear being for kids, and prepare for sticker shock.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the pacifica is an overpriced whale.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Great insider snap! I keep checking nissannews every now and then but I did not see that anywhere.

Did you notice that there are 4 vehicles on the assembly line but NONE of them have the SkyView panels ?? :-( I thought that was standard, but I guess it's not !!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Pacifica is also underpowered- its slower by 1.5 seconds to 60 than an 04 Sienna, so I doubt it will come close to the Quest. Can I also say that I do not think that the Nav in the speedo is a good setup at all.... half the fun of the NAV is having your passengers help guide the way.. makes road trips fun.

Not so impressed with the Pacifica.

~alpha
    The ambassador and his wife looked at a Quest minivan that Nissan employees had gathered around to make a video celebrating the plant's opening. The couple climbed into the second seat of the van after walking completely around it to get a good look. http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0305/17/b03.html
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    I went to the dealer to pick up a brochure and he showed me the confidential spec sheet but I just got a minute to look it over and he wouldn't copy it for me. But I'll try to relay what I can remember. A BIG caveat as this is for the Canadian model and in Canadian dollars.

No price but there was the price difference between models: the S is the base model, the SL adds another $3100 and the SE is another $6800 on top of the SL.

In quickly perusing the equipment I was basically trying to compare the options to my Odyssey. The only thing I noticed that the Base S lacked compared to my Odyssey LX was power rear quarter windows. They are pop outs. You have to get the SL to get the power rear windows. But the base S did include heated seats, mirrors, trip computer and rear back up sensors.

The SL added power passenger (not drivers side) door, power rear door, roof rack (no cross bars) and 5 speed transmission. Sorry, I can't remember what else. I do remember that leather was an extra $1800.

The SE has leather standard so it is basically $5k more than a SL with leather. The SE comes with the power driver's side power door. I'm pretty sure you have to get the SE to be able to get the skyview roof and dual screens.

Obviously there's a ton of stuff I can't remember but I thought I would pass along what I could.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It'll be interesting to see if the base model stateside get heated seats too. Somehow I doubt it.

Steve, Host
    Dealers in our area didn't get training on Quest 2004. I stopped by DARCARS NISSAN dealership yesterday to find any new info. Dealer told me :"Nissan Quest 2004 should arrive after 1 month + - 10 days..."). He didn't know any info about pricing, or options. Canton plant last news are here: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/nissan2/may2003/index.html
  • carshopper48carshopper48 Member Posts: 11
    Info. from Clarion Ledger: Estimated price range, release dates to dealers, and plant opening. http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0305/28/m01c.html
    "The price range is estimated at $24,600 to $37,000, depending upon the model."

WoW! At $37K it sure beats out the 2004 Sienna XLE Ltd price tag.

If the first Quest rolled off the assembly yesterday, why would it take July for it to reach the dealerships ?
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Sienna pricing is:
    $22,955 - $34,480 Base CE to FWD XLE Limited and $36,930 for a AWD XLE Limited

Pricing is very much in-line with Toyota.

I'm sure Nissan's price doesn't included options neither does Toyota's.
    Wow! Look at "hand made" work amount on this images. Quality of Quest will be great from first weeks because of enthusiasm of workers. Look at their faces!!!! http://www.nissannews.com/?http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/canton_plant.shtml or http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/canton_plant.shtml
    Does anyone know difference between packages: Quest 3.5 S, 3.5 SL and 3.5 SE?
    http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/2004vehicles/quest/index.shtml

Scroll to the bottom. That is the best info they are giving out right now. Wonder if the dealers would have more info ? I would expect them to know more because the vehicle would be on their lots in a month's time !! Yay!
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Does it difficult to modify quest to have 8 seats?
  • carshopper48carshopper48 Member Posts: 11
    If you go to the link that acedriver listed (http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/2004vehicles/quest/index.shtml) you can also get detailed specs. info. for the different trims in table form by clicking on the specifications link at the top of the page. The only link that doesn't have any informatiion is the pricing link.
    Although I posted the link, I did NOT see the "fine print" links at top of the page !! :-) Thanks for pointing that out ... BTW, is it just me or is that table format the worst one I have ever seen ?? All the columns are blending into one another and I cannot for the world make out what option is for what trim !! Grrrrr ...

Edit: Oops! Never mind. Just downloaded the Word document onto my disk and now everything looks good !! :-) Did anyone look at the "Seat package" ? I thought that stuff was standard !! Also, it looks as if the LATCH is optional ??

Steve, since we have this wonderful info available from Nissan, when do we get to see it on Edmunds so that we can do a side-by-side comparisons ??
    Wow! they have answers for all my questions!!!!
    Example:
    Fuel Requirement
     Regular unleaded (87 octane)
  • tripolitripoli Member Posts: 11
    I may be an idiot, but I did not see any reference to the skyview roof on the spec sheet. Is it standard on all trims or only the SE?
    I'm in Boise (well, not this week) and the data people are in Santa Monica. So I can't walk down the hall and bribe 'em with donuts... so all I know is that we'll get the Quest specs on line "any day now."

Tables don't work worth a hoot in the messages btw because some of the html stuff is turned off. A few people were leaving clever messages in "white" fonts that could only be seen when you blocked the "blank" space, lol.

Steve, Host
    I'm pretty sure the skyroof is only available on the SE model but I can't remember if it is standard or an option.

I'm kinda miffed that rear power windows aren't standard on the S. How cheap is that? Why bother with the power lockout button? If you upgrade to the SL you only get one power door but you get the power liftgate. Why not give power doors and leave the liftgate for the SE? The Odyssey will still be a better value than the Quest unless the S is priced lower than the LX and the SL lower than the EX.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    power options: Nissan is doing the same thing as Toyoto. They seem to have decided that you must get a power liftgate if you want a power seat. Plus you also get a power door.

My wife insists on a power seat (as our '99 Quest has), but we both detested the power liftgate. She also isn't fond of the power door, but I could live wiht one (at least until it broke out of warranty)!

It will be interesting to see if Honda joins the power liftgate bandwagon. Pretty soon, only the MPV will be left without one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Pretty soon Nissan will be the only van without second row roll down windows as well. It seems to me like Nissan began designing the new Quest 2 years ago to be better than the Odyssey (eg, second row folding seats) but were not forward thinking enough to know that second row roll down windows, split rear bench and AWD would be the new minivan standard. It's too bad because I really wanted to like the new Quest but I think they missed the mark.
    Does the visible sliding door track bother anyone ?? I was miffed to see that they did not "hide" the track to create a one body panel (aka DC and 04 Sienna, MPV, Sedona). It is a simple change which would save them the overhead of creating two body panels and plus it looks much cleaner too !!

The split bench idea has also been in existence for a while in the DC vans. The 04 Sienna copied it and has become the only van with fold-flat split bench third row seat - which I think adds more versatility to the vehicle, especially for 3+ kids in the family. Nothing like that in the new Quest either!

I am still reviewing the spec sheet, so more grouse posts to follow ...
    I was wondering about the door track but I think it would be hard to do given the design of the windows. Unfortunately, the sweeping lines don't allow a straight track.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    had the split bench in the third row as standard.
    The split benches have been around for a while now. The 04 Sienna took it one step ahead by making a split bench which also disappears into the floor. In my mind, it makes for more versatility - I can have two passengers in the rear seat with third seat folded flat into the floor and stacked with luggage - OR - I if I have one passenger in rear seat, two seats can be folded down flat and stacked with luggage.

One would have thought that the 04 Quest would also have this features. Granted that they did innovate the second row seat folding flat into the floor, but how could the designers have missed the split rear bench ??
    I don't know but if they had they could have been an industry leader. My guess is that they will redesign it again within a couple of years. How hard can second row roll down windows be anyway?
    Grouses first:

- The tranny is just a 4-spd for S and SL trims. Need to go to SE trim for a 5-spd tranny. This seems opposite to the way everyone in the auto industry is moving. Oddy, 04 Sienna, MPV, Sedona - all of them have a 5-spd Auto as standard. Where did Nissan come up with a 4-spd idea ??

- No telescopic steering. Although not many vehicles have this, it is a good-to-have feature.

- No DRLs and fog lights for S and SL trims. To get them, need to go up to the SE trim

- No option for power sliding door in S trim. Need to go to SL trim for one power door & liftgate. Need to go to SE trim for dual power & liftgate.

- 2nd row and 3rd row seats show up as "Optional equipment" ??? This one is either a misprint or just a way to show a low starting MSRP. Don't tell me that there will be vehicles WITHOUT the second and third row seats !! Hmmm: I would call this a "forced" option :-)

- They tout a 265W Bose system and make you buy SE trim for that. But, that was to be expected ..

- Side curtain airbags show up as standard -but- not for the front seats ?? Is for rear seats only ? If so, is for 2nd and 3rd row seats ?

- The SE trim loses 5 cubic feet of cargo space

- Standard 4 wheel disc brakes with BA and EBD
    - Standard Tire pressure monitor system
    - DVD-RES is an option on ALL the trims
    - Standard remote key-less entry
    - Standard sun-visor extenders
    - Standard Engine Immobilizer
    - 0.33/0.34 drag coefficient. Should be a silent vehicle

There is no mention of "Skyview" panels as an option. The earlier descriptions did say "available skyview". Does this mean that SkyView is going to be standard on all trims ? I sure hope so !!

Anybody has done a comparison between the 2004 Sienna and 2004 Quest ?? Please post in the 04: Sienna v/s Quest thread.
    i not sure why were getting picky to the nth degree here, all the minvans drive like school buses and are big and clumsy and unattractive anyways. i.e....no one WANTS to have to buy one of these slab sided tanks. But I guess if minivans are only about size, features, and stuff, then so be it. I guess fun is 0% of the equation.

If you guys like the Quest, go to the Mitsubishi Grandis topic and check out some of the links......the pics make it seem nicer in looks than the quest and sienna, and it may have all the features covered as well. Talk suggests it will be coming over to the US.
    I know there are buyers out there for smaller mini-minivans but the majority of sales in N.A. are in the large wheelbase vans of which the Quest is one.

And yes, I WANT to buy a minivan. Not as my primary transportation of course (I have a Maxima for that) but for everything else. And if you're going to get a minivan then it might as well be a big one.
    Here's the Mitsu van discussion:

Mitsubishi Grandis minivan

The Quest to build a Titan (San Antonio Express-News)

Oh, I was disappointed to see the visible sliding door tracks in the new Quest too. Oh well....

Steve, Host
    The reason why I would nitpick to the Nth degree is because Nissan touted the new Quest as the alternative to the box on wheels syndrome. They had all the time to look at the current designs of minivans, lift some ideas, innovate more ideas and be an industry leader. No doubt the SE trim offers everything which one would want but if it stickers at $37K, that is a whole different price-area we are talking about.

I did check out the Mitsu Grandis pics. It looks like the old generation Oddy without the sliding doors. The design looks VERY MUCH like the Nissan Quest concept model. Copying, lifting, stealing ideas. For once, I would like to see a Japanese manufacturer innovate something ... :-)
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    If anything, Nissan is being TOO innovative. Cases in point: 2004 Quest instrument panel; FX45 and Murano styling. Too radical for me.
    Futuristic designs work for me :-) There should be something in the design (interior and exterior) which should make the car age gracefully. I tend to drive my cars till they run into the ground. Say, 5 years from now, the vehicle should not start looking outdated and old. The New Passat is an example. Notice how the 04 Sienna and 04 Quest are making all the other minivans look like boxes-on-wheels.

But besides Looks, a minivan should have versatility - hauling families on the go. Dynamic interior changes to accomodate the need of the moment. 4x8 wood sheet hauler, 3 children family+ luggage, car-pooling for soccer games etc etc. This is where there is a quest to find the ultimate minivan and the New Quest *could* and *should* have been a bit more .....
    I'm already way bored with the new Sienna. You Sienna buyers say bye bye to many thousands of dollars of your hard earned for Toyota profit and dealer markup just because of the label. In no way should any minivan be worth a 37k list price. No one (even with their wives making them do it) should fork out that kind of dough for a school bus.

A Chevy Express AWD van with MUCH more utility is much cheaper and way more spacious.

As far as plywood, rent a truck once or twice a year.

As far as soccer, tell the kid somebody else's parents will have to drive.
  • soccerdad99soccerdad99 Member Posts: 6
    Where are you getting your price information for the Quest?
    There was somebody who posted that showed a starting MSRP of $24K and topping off at $37K. The SL trim was $3K more that S trim and the SE trim was $6K more than the SL trim. And then of course there are the options by which you can get to a high of $37K, I guess :-) But, anyways, we will wait for the official pricing from Nissan.

I agree that $37K is way more to pay for a vehicle. But still cannot beat the fact that a minivan is the best utility vehicle.