Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I just read this guys post. If it is real, I feel terrible for this individual. However, there are things about his post that lead me to believe the past experiences may be ficticious.

You can look at his posting history and decide for yourself.
  • pierpier Member Posts: 79
    Hi

I feel that billy8's issues (fictitious or not - this is a matter of another discussion) may have unintentionally derailed my discussion thread. My objective is to enquire whether other 04 Quest owners experienced the same level of quality problems. Does anyone think I have a case for a buyback? If so, how do I go about convincing nissan who say it's not their problem?

Since my first posting, my Quest has gone in twice again. This time there is a "shimmy" effect from the front tires. This occurred after new tires were replaced at 30,000 miles. The tires were re balanced to no effect. Two new front tires were installed to no effect. What now? I suspect that the drive shafts may be unbalanced.

Oh, and the weatherstrips came off again. I am really tempted to pay off the rest of the lease as I do not feel that the car is is safe enough for my wife and two children.
  • birdobirdo Member Posts: 5
    Let me ask anyone. Can I replace the existing dashboard screen (The amber one that comes standard) with the one that comes with the Navigation screen (more of an LCD screen) without having the GPS Navigation package? A friend of mine works at a junkyard and had one there but I thought I would ask before buying from him.
  • vq35devq35de Member Posts: 12
    I'm researching this now. It doesn't look like its a simple screen swap. There is a display control unit (DCU) which may have to be replaced or rewired so the LCD screen will work. Since the 2006 Quest has the LCD info screen on the non-nav models, I am trying to find out the part number for the DCU and complare it to the 04-05 one. Unfortunately, the dealers won't have part listings for the '06 models until atleast late Sept so I'll have to find another source.
  • birdobirdo Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. Let me know what you find out. I am interested.
    I stopped by a local Nissan dealer that just got a fully loaded '06 SE on their lot. The 19" wheels are UGLY. They have a different measuring scheme for the run flats so I couldn't verify the rim size, but they sure don't look like 19"s. The 6 spoke 17"s are much nicer looking. The tires have an odd shape to them too and are pretty ugly. Maybe I'll stop and take pics sometime this week...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Well, first find a good dealer! Ha... There is a TSB for this problem on the 04's. I had the exact same problem. The TSB instructs them to drop the entire overhead console and add padding between the overhead console and the roof cross member supports. It is this constant contact that is making the squeek. My fix was performed last fall and has worked like a charm. :)
    Well... with some of the rain we got up in the northeast from Katrina, we discovered that our '05 has a leaky Skyview roof. There was some dripping from the garment hook, very few drops, but enough to indicate a leak.

Brought it in this morning, I spoke with the tech and he seemed familiar with the problem. They are replacing the whole piece of glass and weatherstripping, no questions asked. The tech said they replace the glass panel because when they try to remove it, it usually breaks.

I also told them to check out the creaking from the tailgate when the body flexes. They readjusted and lubricated the door. Let see if that got rid of it...

I have an '05 SE with ~1600 miles on it.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    This topic is for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the Quest. Problems with the vehicle should be discussed in the Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• spider5spider5 Member Posts: 1
    I paid $26150.00 ( including 400 dealer handling price) in Denver, Colorado for a new 2005 3.5SL with leather package, sky view package. options list is X01, V01, S01, L92, M10. is this a good price ?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Well, in my opinion ,since you have already bought it...it is a good price. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Spider5, you could always ask the folks in the Nissan Quest: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion what they think.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Interesting:

In the first 3-way tie in the history of AutoPacific's Vehicle Satisfaction Awards, Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest and Toyota Sienna tie for top honors in the Minivan category.

For actual article, just Google "AutoPacific Satisfaction Awards". ;)
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    When I read this, I was thinking Nissan had chalked one up against the competition.

Several Minivan Head Restraint Systems Test Poorly

Earning poor overall ratings were seven models subjected to a simulated crash: versions of the 2004-2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country; a version of the 2005-2006 Toyota Sienna and 2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander, Buick Terraza, Pontiac Montana SV6 and Saturn Relay. The 2005-2006 Honda Odyssey received the second lowest, or marginal, rating.

Then I went to the IIHS website and read this in the fine print:

Some seats automatically earn poor ratings: The Institute doesn't test seats with head restraints that are rated marginal or poor for geometry because such seats cannot be positioned to protect many taller people. The seats that weren't tested in this group include all of those in the Chevrolet Astro, GMC Safari, Mazda MPV, and Nissan Quest plus some seats in the Grand Caravan and Toyota Sienna.

D'OH! Too poor to even bother testing...
    Well, that's vague. So, the seats cannot be positioned to protect taller people. Hum.... :D
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    If there is a specific geometry that works, why not make it standard for all minvans!!!! Not sure what they mean by "seats cannot be positioned to protect many taller people". I'm 6' 4" tall. I fit pretty well in my Quest.

ahightower: After seeing the results, I think the IIHS is looking for ways to justify themselves. Car safety ha imporved so much in the last decade that the IIHS and NHSTA need to find ways to justify their existence. The amazing thing is this is the first time I have seen this test publicized like this.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Our van has almost 3K miles now. And it's time for an oil change. I'm debating wether to take it to the dealer and pay $39.99 or do it myself. Could somebody who has done it tell me how easy or difficult it's to get to the filter? Would I need to use ramps? And what about using synthetic for the 1st oil change, is it too early? Thanks!
  • shgshg Member Posts: 13
    I have done the oil change and it is pretty straight forward. I was able to perform this by simply jacking up the passenger side. The oil plug and filter are both closer to the passenger side. And 3K is certainly not too early for the first oil change. The recommended oil is 5W-30. And you should only use synthetic if you are not conscienctious about changing the oil and go a long time between intervals. Otherwise, regular oil is fine.
    Thanks. I got on the ground to take a look at the bottom of the van. Seems like the filter is pretty hard to get to without jacking up the van :( I have 2 ramps that I've been using on my cars. Not sure if the van is too heavy for them. I'm taking the van in to the dealership for a couple of warranty issues. Will have them do the 1st change.
    Did you need to take off some panels underneath? And I couldn't see where the drain plug was. Thanks!
    Hi Bill, I hope you're still reading this. I took a look underneath. It doesn't look like I can get to the filter (let alone the drain bolt) without jacking up the van :( Oh well, I'll try it today after work.
  • moonkidmoonkid Member Posts: 6
    Just remember:
    When they rate the best worst, we buy the best for less.
    Don
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Tamu2002: Check your owner's manual. They have section showing how to do it. It looks pretty simple.
    I did the oil change yesterday. It wasn't any harder than my other cars. I just didn't see how it could be done without jacking up the van. Once it was up on the ramps, it was a piece of cake, except it took some effort to remove the tight filter. I didn't have the right sized filter wrench--the Quest filter is TINY! I wish I hadn't been lazy and done it earlier at 1K miles.
  • shgshg Member Posts: 13
    Yeah, I knew you could do it. I do agree with you that the filter is surprisinly small. In fact, it is the exact same filter that is used on the Honda Civic! That surprised me.
    The same size as the Civic? Really? Well, I hope it does its job. I was trying to avoid jacking up the van, but didn't see how it was possible. I'm getting lazy with oil changes :) I changed it at 3008 miles and the oil looked pretty black. Wish I had dones it earlier. I think I'll do the next one at 5K.
  • july2004questjuly2004quest Member Posts: 9
    Have anyone see sludge at the tip of their oil dipstick? We do on our 2004 Quest. We are at 35k mi. and we change the oil every 3750 mi. We can transfer this discussion to Quest 2004+ Problems and Solutions if this thread develops.
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    Hey all - spotted a used 2004 Quest for sale and would liek to find out when it was made. Last digits after 'N' are 369071. Any way to tell when it was made? All the stuff I see on the net point me to Carfax reports and such that cost money. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    Look in the drivers doorpanel
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Automotive News reported today that:
    DETROIT -- Nissan North America is recalling 109,437 Quest minivans because an adjustment mechanism on their second row seats may cause injuries, federal safety regulators said on Monday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said minivans affected by the recall were from 2004-2006 model years.

"When the operator attempts seat adjustment, a finger may be pinched in the moving seat adjustment mechanism which could cause an injury," NHTSA said in an advisory on its Web site.
    Interesting...and no mention of the on going Honda tranny problem...I mention because I just hand another friend have it go out on them…80% of people I know have had it replaced (4/5)
  • majjmajj Member Posts: 17
    you are not the only one!!!!!!! I'mstill figthing, nissan refuse to buy it back my list sound like yours and about thebrakes it happening 30kmile, doors(4), recalls, engine, ac, vibration, sterring wheel,rattle noises, 2 and 3 row seats..........
    Sir, a couple of days ago in the Quest problems & solutions forums you had traded in your 04 Quest for a Murano and that was the end of the story.

Now all of the sudden you still have the van and still have horrible problems with it. What's the story?

The Moderator cautioned you in that forum about your continuous bashing of Nissan which essentially destroys the utility of the forum for the rest of us.

I request the moderator in this forum take a look at your posts and decide if this is the case here as well.

We have an 05 Quest with 18,000 miles, zero problems, and it's delivering much better MPG than the 04 and 05 Honda vans owned by friends. So your experience does not apply to everyone.
    pier traded in his Quest for a Murano...not majj.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Very well, the same sentiment applies in each case.

Posting the same message again and again does not help anyone.
    The moderator also requested that if anyone had any problems with the way the forum was being handled to e-mail him. And not to disrupt the discussion by correcting other members on what they should and should not be posting.

FYI, majj has been a member for 3 days. His posts have described the multitude of problems he has had, as well as his solution of getting a lemon law lawyer. So, I don't believe he has been disruptive... or gone on and on about anything.
    This one's intended for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the vehicle. We have another topic, the Nissan Quest 2004+ Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion, where you can talk about problems you're having so that other members can offer solutions.

I'm here if you need me, but what really drives these Forums is the idea of give-and-take -- you folks helping each other, sharing your knowledge. Brand-bashing and criticizing each other do nothing to further that purpose.

I was at the Boston Auto Show yesterday and took a look at the Honda, Toyota, and DC vans again. The Mazda MPV was not there: Mazda said they're replacing it next year. They did have the Mazda5, which has a surprising amount of room for a smaller vehicle. Also saw the Ford Fusion: roomy and seemingly well built, but that chrome grille must be part of the "Detroit Package."

In any event, while many auto writers lamented the central location of the speedometer on the Quest, after driving one a while now the dashboards on competing vehicles seem busy and intrusive.

They had a Honda Touring with Leather and navigation on the floor. Sticker was over $39,000.....Yikes!
  • ckeoughckeough Member Posts: 15
    I'm considering a left over 2005 or a new 2006 Quest. After reading many posts from Edmunds, there was certainly growing pains from the 2004 Quest. What are folk's experiences with the 2005 model? I see that Consumer Reports now shows the Quest with poor reliability. I have to think that is driven by the start up problems with the 2004 model. Any input would be appreicated.

Chris
    "They had a Honda Touring with Leather and navigation on the floor. Sticker was over $39,000.....Yikes! "

What yikes me even more is someone will have to pay that full amount to get it. For anybody who earns less than $200K to pay that much for a van would be crazy.
    We've had our 05 S forseveral months now. It has close to 4K miles. No problem yet, but the van made minor squeaky noises since day one on the inside. Not a big deal, it doesn't bother my wife a bit but it's there. Other than that, the van drives well, gives reasonable gas mileage and everything on it works. Overall I can't complain too much. I'd recommend you to drive the exact one you're thinking buying. We got ours delivered to our door (dealer trade) so didn't have that opportunity.
    I'm considering a left over 2005 or a new 2006 Quest. After reading many posts from Edmunds, there was certainly growing pains from the 2004 Quest. What are folk's experiences with the 2005 model? I see that Consumer Reports now shows the Quest with poor reliability. I have to think that is driven by the start up problems with the 2004 model.

Our 2005 SL has 18,000 miles. No problems at all, we really like it and wouldn't buy anything else if we had it to do over.
  • raff2raff2 Member Posts: 2
    i will soon have 4 kids in car seats (4 and under).

does anyone have any experience with quest i this configuration.

2006 quest only has 3 tethers so i don't see how i can do this.

i was told by a dealer that you can use two tethers on a single anchor in the rear bench. i don't think this is true.
    Before our Quest, we had an Astro, with three kids under 4. We didn't have the option for the new tethered car seats and the Astro had one of the worst crash ratings.

Anyway, I'd put the oldest in a carseat with the seatbelt and put the other three in the tethered car seats. I don't know of any minivan that has 4 seats with tethers. I'm not sure why Nissan only choose the middle rear for tether, with curtain airbags, I would think the outside positions would be just as safe.

Be sure you get the DVD option, its great! :)
    If you go with the Quest, you'll like it...
    Sort of unrelated…I have my 3 and 4 year old (turning at the end of the year) both in booster seats (in the middle row). They fit fine and the seat belts don’t ride high near their necks.

I didn’t know they had “car seats” for 4 year olds that use LATCH (I assume you’re talking about the LATCH positions).

Can’t you just use the seatbelts on the car seats? If the positions are going to be permanent it’ll only be a pain the first time you install it.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I think I read somewhere that the Sienna has three teather points in the rear and 2 in the mid-cabin. Not that I favor the Toyoya, but I have a 7-year old in a bootser, but like the added security of a teather as well.
  • raff2raff2 Member Posts: 2
    For our four year old son we have a convertible. It is a tethered forward facing seat until he is 40 lbs. From 40 to 80lb (or maybe 60 i would have to check) it can be used as a booster with the seatbelt.

In response to the other poster, yes the toyota 7 seater has 4 latch positions the 8 seater has 5.

Finally, as I indicated in the original post we will eventually need to anchour with tethers (my 4 year old will not be in booster mode for a while) all 4 carseats. I don't think this can be done in a Quest. The dealer will not add an anchor point and has told us we can attach two tethers to one anchor. I note the Nissan usa web site says you can only use one tether. I also not that every car seat I have owned says you cannot attach to two tethers to one anchor unless the manufacturere of the vehicle approves it.

I was hoping a Quest owner may have crossed this bridge already. We are also wondering about whether we can access the rear seats with rearward facing car seats in the 2nd isle.
    I took my 05 Quest SE in for its first service. We’re at around 6K miles (was planning on the 7.5K service).

I need an oil change
    Driver door squeak
    Third row seat rattle
    Front DVD rattle
    MPG/Fuel indicator/DTE incorrect **

When I got in we went for a test drive to hear the squeaks. Once we got back they filled out the paper work and said I needed the 7.5K service and it would be around $120. I thought since this was my first service I’d better get it all…since we’re driving this Thanksgiving.

I stressed that the major thing I wanted fixed was the MPG/Fuel indicator/DTE incorrect.

I got a call in the afternoon saying they would need to keep it over night because they were still diagnosing the squeaking…I thought ok, as long as it’s done right.

The next day when I went to pick it up the only thing that was done was the oil change. They had to “special order” all the other parts. These special parts include Velcro tape for the DVD rattle.

I can’t believe I need to make another trip to the dealer for “Velcro tape”…BTW we’re 45 minutes from the dealer.

Oh yeah…the bill was $135.00.

Recap: my fuel light comes on early. When I dropped the car off at the dealer it had a quarter tank in it. When I got home the fuel light was on and the DTE read 18mi. When I filled up at the gas station it only took 15.6 gallons (sometimes it only takes 13 gallons when the DTE is 0).

With a 21 gallon tank it should not tell you that you have 0 miles left to drive when there is over 5 gallons left in the tank. I think whatever is causing this problem is also causing my mpg to read incorrectly. It usually reads 16-19mpg. I calculated by had a few times and had mid 20’s.

MPG/Fuel indicator/DTE incorrect problem was listed as “could not reproduce problem”…they hooked it up to the diagnostic comp and it did not read an error.

I looked up what the 7.5K service includes…I basically paid $135 for an oil change. I’m not going back there unless it’s warranty work.

Ohh…the vacuuming they did initially looked pretty good. Until I folded up the third row seat that they forgot to fold up (and put head restraints in)…lots of dirt still in the back…oh well.

Not a good first impression of Nissan service.
    I don't understnd why folks talk the time to trash a lousy dealer - and then not name them. You are protecting them, why?