Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    A few Quests do have brake rotor, tranny module and rattle issues but no more than a Honda or Toyota. Check other minivan forums you will see the same issues discussed.

I frequently read other minivan forums...and nishonbaru is correct. The 2004+ Quest has much more quality and reliability problems than any other minivan, except maybe the Kia Sedona.

I don't recall reading about any owner of a Sienna van complaining of having a lemon. Maybe, a couple Ody owners. But, neither seem to have the ongoing issues that can't be corrected like many Quest posts indicate.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    I went in Honda Odyssey "Problems&Solutions (2005+ models) and typed in "bad quality". Check it yourself. You'll see that misery has no preference in its victims. As said earlier, all cars experience problems. My point is it seems many posts in the Quest called it a "lemon" whereas in other forums, people just said, "I will not buy this X brand anymore" or some gentle version of this kind.

A message to the host,
    Should we create a new section like "Quest 2005+" to distinguish it from earlier released Quest 03-04? Perhaps we won't get many posts about assembly-related problems?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Agree... In parking lots, it's hard to park the Quest straight or centered at first try. Its turning radius seems to be very large, too. I love driving mine, though. Just passed 1 year and 15K. There is minor steering wheel vibration while braking which started almost immediately after the purchase, but it has not got any worse afterwards, so I'm not concerned. Tires look to have about another 15 K tread life left. Everyone who sees the center console says spaceship remark. I ask them if they have seen inside of spaceship, they say no :)
  • spoonieboy1spoonieboy1 Member Posts: 22
    Some Toyota and Honda minivan problems in other forums seem to be of a more serious nature than a nasty,bad,mean,unbearable door rattle or the more serious squeaky wheather strip issue with these dang Quests. Some of these other vehicles actually have problems like failure to start,transmissions exploding,engines exploding,owners being stranded,etc.As soon as I see these problems develop in my 2005 Quest S IM gonna trade that sucker in on a Toyota. Spoonster
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Vinh, we generally start a new topic for a model when there's been a major redesign, so this topic applies to models through 2006.

We do have a topic for discussing problems here, though -- (Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions) -- and posting problems there would probably keep this area free for discussing other things.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• nishonbarunishonbaru Member Posts: 39
    Or having to have the transmission replaced every 10,000 miles.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    How much was your settlement with Nissan after your lawyer took his cut?
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    Just my 2-cents. Depending on the state the lawyer fees are paid directly by Nissan and do not come from the settlement. I think this is true in nearly every state. This way lawsuits are not "get rich" schemes for the lawyer.

I can say my lawyer got much more then I got, but did not impact what my settlement was.
  • chiefdocchiefdoc Member Posts: 22
    I've had the Q since Jan 04, I've experienced most of the issues, figured someone would like this info:

Sliding Doors - did recall for squeaks, resolved.

Tranny - put in drive and wouldn't move, had ECM replaced per bulletin, no reoccurrence.

Seating - installed aftermarket leather, great investment w/2 boys.

Tires - Replaced LS2's w/Yokohama Avid V4s 235/60/16, BEST DECISION MADE, a world of difference. NO MORE vibrations noticed in steering or cabin. GET RID OF your LS2's!!!! I've had no clearance or turning radius issues. The speedometer is about 1-2 mph faster, has been a non issue.

Engine Whin - timing chain pulley replaced a year ago, just came back!

Fuel Gauge issue has not occurred in past year.

Installed Weathertech bug deflector, vent shade and well protector, good products.

Installed dash cover to cut down on glare (w/Steelers logo!!).

All in all it has served it's purpose and the family loves traveling in the Q. Hope info was helpful to someone.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    These posters must be angry because the bought a Dodge or Chevy for more than a Quest costs
    Why would I post anything about a car that I don't own. I have never owned an American car. I want to let everyone know what my experience has been with Nissan and the Quest. Do you want the work invoices from the dealer? I have all of them. I can E-mail copies to you. They have been scanned and sent to my atty. Furthermore, I think all you owners of 2004's that post such positive messages about the Quest must work for Nissan and are trying to salvage any credibility Nissan has.

Your email is private. I'd love to see proof that you ever owned a Quest, how do I get in touch?
    Let's move on.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lnclinvestmentlnclinvestment Member Posts: 2
    I see lots of posts about the '04, and I'm not pulling up any results searching for '06 posts. Any input?
    I haven't seen any, but you could ask in the Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions discussion.

• ckeoughckeough Member Posts: 15
    Our 06 Quest S Special Edition has about 5800 miles since Nov 05. We had no problems what so ever. The only issue I going to have the dealer check is how the tranny seems to not engage immediately when shifting from reverse to drive. If we step on the gas right after shifting to drive, there is quite a lurch as if the tranny is not in drive. Anyone else experience this behavior?

Chris
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Dealing with the throttle and takeoff on the Quest takes getting used to. It's an electronic connection as oppose to a mechanical connection that most of us are used to driving. I noticed early on it was a bit "jumpy" but now with 37k miiles, no problems. You may have to simply wait a full second after shifting into reverse for it to engage. It doesn't sound like you have a problem.
    I see lots of posts about the '04, and I'm not pulling up any results searching for '06 posts. Any input?

When I saw one in a mall parking lot I made a point of introducing myself as a prospective owner and asked how they liked their vehicle. Most were 04 owners at the time, but a few had 05's. No one I met in person had any of the types of problems reiterated time and time again by the same small group of people here. Our 05 has over 25,000 miles and continues to impress everyone - including two coworkers who own an Odyssey and Grand Caravan.
  • questforthebayquestforthebay Member Posts: 3
    looking to buy a used Quest. i see 2005 Quests for sale at the same price as 2004 Quests. my understanding is that 04's have a longer warranty than the 2005.

which is the better buy 04 or 05?
    '04 has an extended bumper to bumper warranty, 5 year/60,000 miles to cover various nuicance issues like rattles, etc. due to early production problems. We have a '04 that's okay, but we got a good price on it. I'd go for the '05, the later the producution the better chance they had things ironed out.
    I quizzed a '04 owner in a parking lot today. He said he's had zero problems with his to this point, other than a seat recall.
  • howard2dot0howard2dot0 Member Posts: 45
    I was completely shocked to see the result of reliability comparison among 15 minivans on Consumer Reports website and Quest came in dead LAST!!! I've been leasing a 2004 Quest SL for 2-1/2 years (41k miles) and had no problems except for the 2 major recalls. I have been thinking about leasing a 2006 Quest SL again, but I am very disturbed by the CR comparison.
    Did I just get really lucky with my Quest? If I get another Quest and if it breaks down on the side of the road, I'd be kicking myself for ignoring the CR's result, at the same time I really like to get a 2006 Quest.
    Can you guys feel my pain?
  • garycoxgarycox Member Posts: 59
    As someone said, it only chimes when you put the vehicle in gear but doesn't let you even open it though if you have the vehicle in gear first.

I sometimes get impatient with it closing and will put the vehicle in gear while closing and it will start chiming. I believe it will also chime if it hits an obstruction and it has to reverse.
    If you have a 2004 Quest and are satisfied with it, what does it matter what CR reports? I love CR and their reliability survey but I also only use it as one tool when researching vehicles. Your personal experieince supercedes any survey they produce.

Also is you are leasing, the reliability is a non issue for you. Just remember the golden rule on leasing, never lease longer than the standard bumper to bumper warranty. If you keep your lease to 3 years, anything that goes wrong is convered.

I also have a 2004 Quest with 38k miles. I had my rotors warped at 8k miles (dealer turned them), Customer Service Initiative, the no power at startup (this hasn't happened in 16 months) and a couple of rattles that have been taken care of. My issue is the treatment at the dealership. My original dealership was open and very easy to deal with. The new one (moved in Fall 2004) is not bad but not as forthcoming which cna be irritating.

the nice thing is on a recent trip to NJ, I got over 26 mpg.
  • howard2dot0howard2dot0 Member Posts: 45
    I agree with your point about leasing for 3 years and 36k miles and not longer.
    My concern with 2006 Quest's reliability is not the cost, rather it is whether it will leave us stranded during road trips. We take many long distance road trips (about 9k miles per year) along with 2 toddlers and the prospect of the car not starting after a bathroom break in the middle of Texas is not a pleasant thought. I originally chose Quest because I really appreciate their new styling, but at the same time, I know with Odyssey and Sienna, I don't have to worry about it not starting on me.
    the Odyssey and Sienna are both great vehicles but they have their issues. If your experieince with 2004 Quest has been good and it has not left you stranded and you like the styling, go for it! From what I understand, the 2005 and 2006 models are more reliable than the 2004.
  • lnclinvestmentlnclinvestment Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, everyone for your input about the Quest. We'll probably be going with it and your feedback is a big part of that. It just feels the best. Really not a big fan of the Sienna, the Odyssey is just too expensive, apples for apples, and the Kia is just too minivan, even though you get alot of nice features for the price. For a family not ready to give in to minivan-dom, the Quest feels good. Now, I just hope the 2006 doesn't have the 2004 problems. I'll let you know.
    Leslie
    A fellow at work has the Odyssey. He did not test drive the Quest before buying it and after driving the Quest (which cost around $3,000 less) he just shook his head. Now that HP ratings are getting real, the fact that Quest weighs less and has about equal HP is very apparent.

Our 05 SL has turned 29,000 miles and should turn 30,000 before the end of the month. It's still logging average MPG in the high 22's, with lows around 19.5 and highs as high as 26.x. Highest single tank was 27.5 mpg, on a highway trip last Fall.
  • jimbo810jimbo810 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All

I am up here in Nova Scotia Canada, I have an 06 SL Special Edition and other than having the back up sonar switch fail at 400 kms everything has been good. The one thing I did notice is that the range of this vehicle is not as long as I expected. I was hoping for about 700 kms between fillups and have been averaging about 520 kms. Gas milaege is about the same as my Murano and seeing how the Quest is bit heavier and larger that was what I expected.
    the horsepower revision doesn't change the 0-60 times. The Odyssey is still the fastest. Don't get me wrong, I love driving the Quest. My friends would laugh at me if they knew I like drivng a minivan.
    The problem with the range is the gas guage doesn't read the last few gallons of gas accurately. On my Quest, when the fuel guage light comes on, I stillhave 4-5 gallons left. We've learned that we can easily go another 80-90 miles (highway) and not sweat finding a gas station.
    I don't see how the Odyssey can be faster with the same hp and weighing 400 lbs more, but I can't get any to do a roll on or acceleration test to find out.

Or maybe Honda HP are bigger as they cost more.....
    for both Odyssey and Quest are about the same (~8.5 sec).
    If 0-60 speed is so important why would you drive a mini-van. Anything under 9.0 would be fantastic.
    Same HP but different torque. HP is for marketing and advertising. Also could be a difference in shift patterns. I know when I was test driving, the Odyssey was the only minivan that "felt" faster then the Quest.

I have not seen or read anywhere where the Quest has done 0-60 in 8.5 sec. Most everything I have seen is mid 9. Not that it is important (or that I care). I still love driving this van.
    You can just google and find many such data.
    Not sure about the 4-spd but I haven't seen over 9 sec for 5-spd 2004+ Quest yet.

Here is one example (8.7 sec). And I have seen a few better ones.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0311_minivan_comparison/
    I have the four speed and I have not seen that under 9 seconds. Like i said, no big deal. I didn't buy it to race, I bought it for the space.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    In addition to acceleration there is the driving feel. I personally felt the Quest was the quickest accelerating. The Honda engine seemed to rev quicker, but the Quest seemed to have more available torque.

The Quest had a much better steering feel with better road feedback (plus that nice thick small steering wheel). The Honda felt more a U-Haul with over boosted steering and a large steering wheel (butter better than the Toyota and DGC).
    What is this talk about warranty on the 04 quests extending to 5 years or 60k miles? Is that just the Power Train warranty which I think is already at that or the 3 year 36,000 warranty going to 5 years, 60k miles?
    All 04 Quests have a 5yr/60K bumber to bumber. Contact Nissan for details. But this was done last year.
    That's interesting, in conversations with Nissan and the dealer none have mentioned that to me and no word of that in the warranty book except for the "Power Train" warranty. If it covers all 04 Quests then I'll make an inquiry of Nissan and see what they say. Do you have any information or service bulletin indicating such in case I have trouble?

By the way, how do I tell what plant my 04 Nissan was manufactured at? I see the manufacturer date on the drivers side below the door but no indication where it was made.

Thanks... Gary
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    If you go to www.nissanhelp.com and search under "Headline News" their is an article about Nissan extending the warranty on all 04 Quests. The date of the article is 9/24/04. All 04 Quest owners recieved a letter in the mail and a sticker to put in their warranty manual.
    I would say all quest 04 owners but me. I bought it brand new at the dealer, didn't move so they have my address. I'll contact Nissan and cite the article and go from there.

Thanks for the information... Gary
    It was issued as part of Nissan Customer Service Initiative tha fixed 7 or 8 items (depeniding on trim level) in the Quest. The extended warranty was part of this initiative. I've found all dealers know about it but will not be upfront aobut it. In other words, you ahve to remind them which can be annoying.
  • tjshantjshan Member Posts: 28
    Great pics and info on the hidden hitch, made my decision not to have the dealer install one . One question...where/how did you find a light wiring kit. Yours looks really nice there but I can not find it on "hitches4less"
  • harvejeharveje Member Posts: 6
    The Draw-Tite Modulite 18146 worked fine for me, easy install, just a pain to get to as with all interior panels. Make sure you have a good splice and the access hole for the trailer plug has a black rubber plug in it. Let me know if you need the wire colors. I installed the hitch by myself with no jack in about 30 minutes, it is heavy for one person. We tow a jet ski but hitch is class 3. You will need to install the 20 amp mini fuse under the hood to make the 12V power wire hot for tow unit.
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    Great write up! I have been thinking about getting a hitch and bike carrier since I bought the van in 04, but never get around to do it. Where did you get your hitch? Was it hard to jack up the van from rear? I am not very handy with cars so please pardon stupid questions. :blush:
  • harvejeharveje Member Posts: 6
    You will need the modulit kit, this is the one I got http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4644458044&- sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    And the hitch, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8016634759&- sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    The hitch is a little over kill for our waverunner but O' well. I did not use a jack (lazy) and installed the hitch in about 30-40 mins. by myself (stupid). The instructions are simple and now I could install one in 10 mins. The light kit is a little complex but take your time and go easy on the plastic panels. You will need to install the 20 amp fuse under the hood and that makes the 12V+ wire hot at the back of the van to hook the light kit to. You will not have to run any additional wires. Let me know if you need any more info.
    After I inquired about the warranty they sent me a letter stating the extension. I'm glad you posted that information as I would have walked into a dealer for work and would have never known (unless they told me) I had 60,000 instead of 36,000 miles on the warranty.

Thanks... Gary
    No problem Gary.
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the pointer. I will give these a try. If I only plan to use the hitch for bike racks, do I still need to install the modulit kit? I have never tow anything in my life, so again pardon my stupid question.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Nope, if you aren't installing something with lights, then don't bother with that for now.