Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Just an update. I calculated the actual mpg for the last 4,000 miles on our 05 Quest SL. It was 22.3, mixed highway, state highway, back road and urban traffic. The vehicle currently has 30,000 miles. Brakes and tires are still original but we put on dedicated snows during the winter.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier...I've not been back to this forum in a few because I don't like reading all the bikering/fighting/slander, etc... :(

Anyway....

I didn't have to jack the rear of the van, I was able to get to everything by sliding under the van. It was very easy to do. The 'hardest' thing was loosening the muffler strap and lowering the exhaust, ha. I did not get a wiring harness as I'm only using this hitch for a 5 person bike carrier. However, seems I read somewhere, sometime, about being carefull with the wiring harness because of electrical requirements, etc. That might have been on the Nissan Frontier, not sure.

Good luck and enjoy!
    :D
  • harvejeharveje Member Posts: 6
    Yes, If you do tap into the electrical system be extra careful. This system is not like the old heavy thick wires of yesterday, some are very fine wires. I tapped in the wires on the light side of the connectors, these wires are a little heavier, get a good ground, and the main 12V+ is already back there. Will the bikes hide your lights?
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks a lot for the info. I ordered the hitch from ebay and hopefully it will arrive soon. Likewise, I am not planning to do anything except carriying bikes for the hitch, so I won't even bother to do wiring. Thanks again for the info. ;)
  • questforthebayquestforthebay Member Posts: 3
    what happens if i activate the power tailgate with the bike rack on? does it damage the tailgate?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I woudl look for a bike rack that "hinges" out of the way so you can access the tailgate. Like the bike roof carriers and drive up bank stall, you have to remember it is there. had a friend almost rip his bike rack off his car. Luckily he was moving slow through the drive up and only scratched the bike.
  • biggitybiggity Member Posts: 25
    Anybody know why there are two different splash guard options for Quests on Edmunds pricing guide, B10 and B95?

Also, are splash guards really required in certain states as the description for the 2007 says? And if so, why?

(I also posted this in "Prices Paid & Buying Experience" because I wasn't sure where it should go.)
  • questjquestj Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a auto dimming rear view mirror is availble as an accessory after the purchase? I assume it is, but further to that, how big of a deal is it to install after the original purchase?
  • samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    I had this auto dimming mirror on 2004 Quest. The rear window is so highly tinted that the bright lights from cars in the rear never EVER activated this dimming function. It seems a 100% wasted feature on vehicles with rear tinted windows.

I suggest you save your money.

I traded in my Quest today for another van. This was simply not the right vehicle for me, after struggling with it for 2 1/2 years.

It's been fun chatting with many of you folks. Enjoy your vans.
    what happens if i activate the power tailgate with the bike rack on? does it damage the tailgate?

If the tailgate feels resistance it will stop, just depends on what it hits. A friend of mine covers the tailgate switch with masking tape when he puts the bike rack on.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i just drove an 07 quest. i'm suitably impressed. decent power, good handling. i can even get one without electronic everything. one question - without having to go through all 2069 posts, - how good and/or reliable is the engine and transmission? i can handle stupid little things that go wrong, but i don't want to be replacing a tranny 100 miles after the warranty is up.
    any input is appreciated. thankyou.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    The engine and transmission have excellent reputations. The 3.5L engine is almost bulletproof, earning a spot on Ward's Autoworld Top 10 engines for several years running. A few of the '04 4 speed automatics (mine included) needed TCM modules replaced, but I've heard of no problems with the 5 speeds. The '07 Quest appears to be a nice refinement, and I wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy one based on the excellent motor/ transmission reputations. :)
    how good and/or reliable is the engine and transmission?

The engine is the best reason to buy one! We turned 31,000 miles so I can't comment on long-term reliability. Do the 07's still have the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty?
    We just took a 600 mi trip with 6 people and roof box. 75mph on highway plus some backroad driving in hilly VT Average mpg was 20.7.

I checked the log and the average for the last 5,000 miles was 22.3. For the previous 5,000 (20-25K) it was 23.1. the highest ever tank was 27.5. The lowest real tankful seems to be 16 or so.

This compares very favorably with the long term test here of the 05 Odyssey - 18.6. This is for the 5spd automatic 05 SL.

The reclining rear seat was very popular on this trip.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Just complete a trip as well; 1100mi in 05 Quest SE

Averaged 22.3 mpg.

~800lbs of people and cargo.
    75-95 F
    Tires (according to TPMS) 34-36
    91 Octane
    Terrain Hilly for 4 hours then flat for 14 hrs

I think the high mph kill the mileage…going 65mph we were averaging 24.8 mpg (first 6 hours or so of driving…plus it was hilly), when the speed increased to 75-80mph the average mpg fell...stabilizing to 22.3 at the end of our 18 hour trip.
    The rule of thumb for most vehicles is that at 55mph the aerodynamic drag is about equal to other factors (friction etc). But aero drag goes up as the square of the speed, so above 65mph 70%+ of the total power required to drive the vehicle is consumed by drag.

Minivans are tall and wide - and have large side mirrors - so you move a lot of air. Another factoid I've heard is that a car moves 6 tons of air driving one mile at 65mph.
    That is my biggest fear. You can deactivate the power doors via a switch at front of overhead console. However, you can still activate the power hitch via the keyfob. I'm not sure how much damage that would do, probably just a good scratch.
    Anway...
    I went to the hardware store and purchase a piece of foam pipe insulation, cut off a piece about 12" long, and split it in half. This allows me to put it on the lip of the rear tailgate just in case someone opens it.

I purchase the rack that folds, which works well, unless you have it loaded with 5 bikes like myself and then it takes two people to lower and raise it, ha.

;)
    Mark
  • squestsquest Member Posts: 25
    I enjoy the postings here. My 2004 Quest has not had the problems many seem to encounter.
    My biggest complaint is the long wheelbase, and the nearness to the ground. This lets it drag in too many places, and makes for difficult parking because of the turning radius. However, the ride is superb.
    Thanks to all who suggested the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires.
    A lot of research on tires convinced me that these are a great replacement as far as specs are concerned. These tires turn 763 turns per mile, and the Goodyear originals turn 761. They are about .2 inch less in diameter as I remember. Therefore, I correct my gas mileage readings by the percentage difference.
    Before leaving on a long trip out west I decided to replace the tires. My tire shop said they believed the original tires would hold up fine for the trip. I had 31,000+ miles on them. Considering the every hot highways, and high speeds in the west I choose to get new tires.
    The originals wore very good and caused no problems as far as I was concerned.
    The Yokohamas did a great job. Many miles were put on at 75 miles per hour in Kansas, Nebraska, and Tennessee.
    In Yellowstone park we ran through ice 2 to 4 inches deep from a hailstorm that had ice balls as large as marbles. The hail do did not damage the paint as far as I could tell, but it did clean all the bugs off!
    The tires never once hydro planed or performed poorly in any way.
    The trip was about 5,000 miles from beginning to end.
    Many miles were in mountains, some long delays at construction sites, very high and some low temperatures.
    The over all gas mileage corrected for the tire size was 22.24 mpg. A couple of legs showed 27 mpg running on fairly flat ground at 75 miles per hour.
    The van was very comfortable and served us very well.
    The seats are very adjustable for cargo or passengers. We had two people most of the time, and a heavy load of luggage. In Yellowstone the gas has oxygen added. The book says not to use this gas, but there you have no choice. The "check engine" light burned for awhile, but went out when I got to lower altitudes and burned a few tanks of 87 octane gas. I did use some E85. The book says you can uses 85 octane at altitudes above 4,000 feet. Many miles were put on at 4,000 to 8,000 feet.
    This van does anything I could expect it to do, an does it very well.
    Thanks again for all the great comments on this forum!
    I hope this information will be helpful to someone.
    Why would you adjust your gas mileage based on the tire size? I simply take the miles travel since last fill-up and divide it by the gallons of gas purchased. I wouldn't solely depend on the computer to determine gas mileage.

Are the Avid TRZ "T" or "H" rated tires? I have not had any luck with finding that brand in "H" rated tire.
    I just read in the 7/3 edition of Automotive News that Nissan will make a decision shortly on whether or not to maintain production of the Quest in Canton, Mississippi.

They are calling the Quest a niche vehicle, and say its keeping the factory from full production.

Interesting read, but, I'm wondering how many, if any, sales will be conquered from Ford/Mercury once they stop making the Freestar/Monterey here in the next few months.

I'm also wondering if they will make this decision based on how well the 2007 Quest sales now that it has been 'refreshed'. I would assume that if 2007 sales increase, the production would stay here in the US.

Also of note, Motor Trend has a good minivan article comparison out this month. But, this time they compared a Quest SE with every single option against lesser models then criticized the Quest for being expensive. Guess that is better than comparing a mid-range Quest with upper level competitors then slamming it for not having all the goodies like last time. Ha..
    I was disappointed with the Motor Trend article because the main reason they placed it third was the price. Once they "tame" the styling, there sales will go up. IWe purchased it because it wasn't like any other minivan. And still love it today. But you got to sell cars to make money, so i understand Nissan's reason for the re-styling.
    We purchased it because it wasn't like any other minivan.

Same here…cool design…interior and exterior…multi sunroof…2 dvd screens…black exterior with running boards.

When the warranty period is over I told my wife I’m going to “pimp” our van…lower the suspension…24” wheels and a super-charger :shades:
    was disappointed with the Motor Trend article because the main reason they placed it third was the price.

Traditionally, MT would score vehicles by advertising dollars, so that might be considered progress.....
    Harsh!

I like MT but they are too subjective at times. They care too much about performance. It could be advertising dollars or a bias. But you know what i still read it each month.
    I received a notice from my local Nissan dealership saying they need used 2004 Nissan Quest. And they can put us in a 2006 for the same payment as a 2006. The new car smell has worn off in my 2004 and I have not had many of the issues that other 2004 owners have had. I know all they do is add payments. Of course my wife is like, "if our payment are the same, maybe we should look at it".

Has anyone taken advantage of this type of promotion?
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    "I did use some E85. The book says you can uses 85 octane at altitudes above 4,000 feet."

Oh my God, I hope you didn't run true E85 in your van. E85 is 85% corn ethanol, 15% gasoline. The Quest isn't designed for E85.
    The Yoko tires I bought are 235/60/16.
    The gas mileage must be adjusted because of the different diameters of the Eagle LS2 vs. the Yoko Avid TRZ.
    The Eagle is 27.5 inches in diameter, the Yoko is 27.2. The Eagle turns 761 turns per mile, the Yoko turns 763.
    Therefore, the wheels turn more per mile and the speedometer thinks the car has gone further than it really traveled. To be accurate you have to account for the difference. An adjustment of 99.797% will give the correct distance traveled, and the correct gas mileage.
    In 5000 miles this amounts to about 10.15 miles error.
    If this is not correct reasoning, please help me out so I can understand the correct method of calculation.

The AVID is a "T" rated tire. I never intend to travel over 118 MPH, so I do not think I need a "H" rated tire that can go 130 MPH.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    I don't rely on the computer although I have found it to be accurate or I should say "close enough". For true mpg, I simply trust basic math. Take the miles traveld since last fillup, divide by gallons of gas needed to fill up the van. Very simple no need to adjust and you can't debate it. The tires are so close in diameter that the difference is negligible. 99.797% is essentially 100% if you round up. 10 miles in 5000 miles is nothing. That equates to 200 miles difference in 100,000 miles. I just wouldn't lose sleep or waste the extra time calculating for that minor difference.

If you really want to take this MPG thing to the extreme, get a small notebook and record the date, odometer reading, miles traveled and gallons of gas at each fill-up. this way to you can really see how different types of driving affect your gas mileage. Also you can see how differnt maintenance affects your mileage. Like when to change the air filter or replacing an oxygen sensor. What you are doing is not wrong, tracking it manually is easier and there is no debating the accuracy.

As far as T vs H, I've heard from different tire stores that the T rated tires will give you a softer ride. It may not be noticeable to the "average" driver (whatever that means).
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I suppose the diameter versus turns/mile is relative comparsison as the tire wears out over time and also inflation level affects the diameter, too.

Regarding the T/H rating, I remember someone commenting somewhere that one needs to consider effect of running over debris and road irregularities at high speed which could lower the real life speed rating.
    "Regarding the T/H rating, I remember someone commenting somewhere that one needs to consider effect of running over debris and road irregularities at high speed which could lower the real life speed rating."

I never heard that argument.

it seems all those who have the Avid TRZ are very happy. I doubt a tire shop would put tires on a vehicle if it would adversely affect handling adn ride of the vehicle. T vs. H is probably personal preference and not a safety issue.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    my comments were w.r.t. 118/130 mph ratings in general, not particularly about the safety of the Quest. I suppose these ratings are based on some ideal road surface conditions. (Here is an article from Edmunds about tires. I suppose that ideal conditions include not only road surface but tire pressure, temperature, etc.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tires/articles/43860/article.html
    I do my calculations by pencil, and seldom does it agree with the computer. For example: coming back from Tennessee today, the calculations showed greater mileage that the computer. Generally the computer is more optomistic
    I record every gallon of gas I buy with the date and speedometer mileage. I do this for my van and Honda Ridgeline. I enjoy keeping up with it.
    I have done this for years and keep the records in a spread sheet.
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    I ordered the hitch from above ebay link and it's been 3 weeks since I paid.......... nothing yet. I emailed twice to the seller and no reply either. I am starting to worry. Did you buy yours from this seller too? How soon did yours deliver to you? Thanks in advance.
  • harvejeharveje Member Posts: 6
    Yes, and it was on the door step in less than a week. They may be on vacation (hopefully). The hardware is in the tube and you will have to get the receiver. Hope everything works out..if you need any help, holler..
  • bad1551bad1551 Member Posts: 1
    Will I drain my battery in my 2004 Quest if a 140 watt power Inverter is used to power a 700 milliamp Delphi Repeater transmitter? Its used to get satellite radio signal in my office

Thanks,

Bob
    Most likely if the car is not running. I drained the battery on my Quest when I left a cooler running over night a few nights in a row.
    Just took another trip - Boston to Niagar Falls and back. Three adults, three kids and gear for 4 days.

MPG on the way out was 22.something. That's going 75mph on the Interstate, and usually against the prevailing wind. Then we drove around 100 miles around Niagara, in traffic etc.

On the way back it was very hot (95) so we ran the A/C the whole way pretty hard but in recirculate mode. Still went 75 or so with traffic and average 25.9 for the return trip!
    The Quest V6 is just a terrific engine!
    25.9mpg is much better than I get going 75mph…though my mileage was ok going 75mph, then went down when my wife started driving

She doesn’t use the cruise…but keeps pressing the gas…then letting it go…then pressing it again…annoying but I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut and take the mileage hit ;)
  • hondakidhondakid Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know what the invoice cost is for a 2007 Quest 3.5s in Toronto?

HondaKid
    Try Nissan.ca
  • hondakidhondakid Member Posts: 17
    Looking for the INVOICE (DEALER) cost .. not the MSRP ..

Thanks,

HONDAKID
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I recieved a special offer in the mail for Quest owners. It is $2,000 off if I buy an 07 Quest.
  • rprossilrprossil Member Posts: 62
    Was this from Nissan or a local dealer? I'm curious because our lease is up in a few months on our '04 and I'm trying to decide what to do.
    Thanks.
    Looking for the INVOICE (DEALER) cost .. not the MSRP ..

There is another thread for Quest pricing, called, logically enough, "Nissan Quest: Prices Paid and Buying Experience."
    25.9mpg is much better than I get going 75mph…though my mileage was ok going 75mph, then went down when my wife started driving

We run the AC in recirculate mode almost all the time. Seems to help.
    they didn't get in to how much off I would get but it was "implied" that they could put me in a 2006 Quest for less than I am paying now. It's intriguing because i would love the current Quest S since it has a few features that I wish I had on my 2004 Quest S like power rear vent windows, power tailgate and roof rack. Also i don't feel like droppign $500 on new tires.

If they kept my payments the saem or less for reasonable period of time, I might be interested (and toss in an extended warranty).
  • carolanddavidcarolanddavid Member Posts: 6
    They don't need 04s to sell lol. That's a gimmick to get you in. Maybe some 05 owners can tell us if they got a similar letter. We got two offer letters, one from Nissan and one from our selling dealer. I'm strongly thinking about getting an 07 because our red 04 is really banged up. (We have a white 04SL and a red 04SE).
    The banging was our faults, not Nissan; we have had no significant issues with the Quests. Worst thing that comes to my mind is my sunroof has memory issues. I stopped using the slide-open because of that, but the tilt works fine.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Our 05 van with 19k miles recently developed a buzzing noise whenever the motor is running. It's not terribly loud but is definitely audible when the windows are down. Does anyone know how big a concern this is? Our van is perfect otherwise. Thanks!
    Provided one answer in the Quest Problems & Solutions thread, where you also posted this question.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Has anybody purchased or driven the 2007? If so, how is it compared to the 2004-2006 models?

I think they improved in every aspect, but one major design flaw: The rear folding seat remains a one-piece bench design - not 60/40 as most other offer. Why did they do that?

I think otherwise it competes very well with the leaders.