Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The read I got from the OP is it is not a simple case of extended oil change or lack of maintenance. There seems to be a question of why there was no warning of low oil level and a question about the ECM being programmed properly. I'm a bit confused with the timeline of when and who replaced the second ECM. The first mechanic checked the van and the dealerships checked the van. Wouldn't these two professionsals have checked the oil then? And then they blame the OP for turning off the warning modules. Plus the dealer fed him the line of "even a dry dipstick may not trigger a warning light", which makes no sense what so ever. I doubt the warning lights can be turned off by the owner.

I do agree the OP story is hard to follow. I'm more interested in knowing when the last oil change was (mileage and time)? Who changed the ECM and why? Why do they believe the engine is dead? Still not sure about the noise. could use more explanation on this.
  • hotfoxhotfox Member Posts: 7
    OK - more info
    and
    answering question

this is the THIRD computer install (1st - original, there was one replacement @ about 6months - manufacturer ordered) then this one

the engine WAS started AFTER the latest install, but the mechanic advised my dad - the engine stopped and would not restart

I had all dealer maintenance done = up to about 48 or 60 km - by dealer

I had oil changes done by them, however,recently I did not have one.

There were no indications - smoke, noise (until the end), oil leaks, car ran awesome!!!! - that there was a problem

Computer did not indicate any high, low, hot, cold issues related to oil.

There was 2/5 L of oil left in the vehicle BUT they said the oil was not touching the dip-stick

They told me that the lack of oil on dip-stick, would NOT make the computer send me a msg.

They assume the computer was turned off by owner, as they feel that the mechanic would not have neglected to fire it up (ie - program it)

My dad, who has been a HUGH blessing, in talking to them, believes that there is 'more to the story' and thinks something is fishy.

Underlying msg - I started to get my car checked about the 'noises' and to make arrangements to do brakes, tires and maintenance when this happened. Fall work ... pre-winter.
    Thank you for the additional information. Again as i suggested in my earlier post, do a google search on "Nissan 3.5L oil loss" or some variation of this. There are numerous articles discussing possible oil loss due to piston failure. It is very, very infrequent but you need to educate yourself.

Your father has very good instincts. One delayed oil change will not cause this type of failure. Nor will it cause loss of oil. Engine oil is much better nowadays and can easily go 7500 miles between changes.
  • calvin1962calvin1962 Member Posts: 34
    Funny how it is always the customers fault when it is timre for a dealer/manufacturer to honor their warranty. I forgot to reset my oil maintenance timer and now the dealer is saying a problem coming from the timing compartment is because I did not change the oil. I friend of mine sketched out the timing setup & chain tensioner without having seen it, and is 99% sure the tensioner has failed. (Dealer wants to drop in a used motor for $3500 after and oil change did not solve the rattle/chain noise) The original dianosos was a plugged aftermarket filter. Bottom line is they seldome have a clue & it is easy to pull the customers fault card because few will push it too far.

I say give them hell!!!...& good Luck!
    Unfortunately you are right esp. when it comes to a big ticket item like this. I still don't understand the $15k quote hotfox got from the dealer. What he/she is describing is not caused by not changing the oil. You can safely go 7500 miles between oil changes without adverse effect. If the quality of the oil is in question, do an oil analysis. I think it is an issue of her engine burning oil and this van does not have a "low oil" light. Not unless there is a pool of oil under the van that he/she missed, I don't know how you would know your van is low on oil. It's most likely a defect in the engine.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    I spoke with the service manager here in NOVA, yes, we moved, and he says that they see a lot of hydraulic timing chain tensioners failing on all 3.5 equipped models. In southern VA, mine was the first the dealer claimed to have seen. Hopefully this isn't going to be a black eye for Nissans 'famed' 3.5 engine. So far, so good, but, I hope the problem don't reoccurr after warranty is out.
    Thanks for the comment about your new local dealership. My local dealers General manger called me after I pretty much lit them & Nissan up on a on line customer service survey (they asked!!). He agreed to go to bat with Nissan if I sent him a letter stating that I changed my oil at regular recomennded intervals, but I sent your post along to bolster my position. Overall, i think the Quest has some good ideas and progressive styling, but many are poorly engineered or executed.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    hotfox,

CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN
    camvap.ca
    Well fellow fourumites....

After I followed up with my dealers service deparment again the service manager contacted Nissan again about the timing chain rattling in the top end of the housing.

Apparently Nissan is willing to to fix the problem as a courtesy repair for a minimal out of pocket cost of $500. Basically they are sticking with their opinion that I am lying about changing my oil since I don't have receipts.

Since I work with a couple of motorheads that have forgotten more about motors that the entire service department knows, I ordered a tensioner on line and they are willing to help me swap it out.

If this solves the chain noise I will trade this PITA in on something more relaible. I got away from US makers because of quality, but after paying 20% more for a "foreign" make with lots of issues, I may go back.
  • garycoxgarycox Member Posts: 59
    I've been trying to figure out how to remove the passenger side brake light to replace the bulb on my 2004 Nissan Quest. I see the two screws holding it when I open the hatchback and it loosens it but I can't seem to get it to come out. Someone said it pulls straight out but I can't seem to get it to come out. I hate to take it to a dealer and pay $$$ just to change a light bulb! Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks... Gary
    I had to pull both sides to replace my bumper skin. I am pretty sure it is only those two screws, but there are a couple of thoes expanding guide pins that hold the unit pretty secure. It requires a pretty good tug to pop them out (I thought I was going to break something off). I have a shop manual on CD at home. If you send me your email I will try to look it up and/or send you the diagram.
    Yes... pulls out stright with GREAT FORCE! When i bought the van, I want to change the cornering signal to amber for safety issue. However, even put on amber light bulb, it stills has the red turning signal. I had some hard time pulling it out. Do this, hold the top and bottom of the fixture, and give one strong hard pull and the fixture come off easily.
    Did the new chain work? Not surprised by the dealership's attitude.

Why did you pay 20% more for the Quest over the domestics? After test driving my 2004 Quest, I quickly eliminated the Freestar and Grand Caravan. My Quest was cheaper then the Freestar and about the same as the GC.
    famo,

Can you send me contact information on your local dealer thst told you about a failures on Nissan 3.5 timing chain tensioners? My email is hobbes1962@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Calvin
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I think there may be a problem with the heated seats in the Quest.

My 05 Quest SE (for the second time now) has drained the battery because the heated seats were on and the van was off.

This is my diagnosis anyway.

The front passenger heated seat was on and the door was left ajar; not open, but not fully closed. An hour later the the van wouldn't turn over

We experienced this problem once before but the key was in the ignition; the van was not turned on.

We've never experienced any type of starting or charging problem before.

I called the “free” road side assistance. They said they couldn't come out because I was at 37400mi and that the roadside assistance expired; or they would could out with a fee of $70 (don't think that included the actual work)

So I bought a Black & Decker – Simple Start ($40)...charged it up and plugged it into the lighter; 10 minutes later I started it up.

I told my wife to make sure the doors are always closed when the van is off.
    That's too bad. Interesting that you're seeing the problem too. Do you only hear the problem at a certain RPM as I did?
    I would suggest everyone rev their engine slowly building, while parked, up to about 4,000 rpm, and see if you hear the noise. If you do, take it in. I didn't hear the noise until a certain RPM and only at that exact rpm. So, a quick rev up and back down didn't completly reveal the problem.
    The dealer said that if it wasn't fixed, over time it would wear through some of the chain guides causing further damage.
    My dealer (service manager) said they are seeing it in 'everything' with the 3.5, including Infiniti.
    Hum....
    :sick:
    Actually mine is obvious chain noise that turns into a buzz as the rpms increase. It is more of a clatter at low rpm, especially now that it is cold. Did I say previuosly that I thought it was the primart tensioner? Now I am not so sure. :confuse: I found a TSB about defective secondary tensioners! After zero help from my dealer I contacted Nissan directly. They are very helpful and friendly on the phone (at the toll free #), but I have been waiting for more than two weeks for their regional rep to call me. Is there a chance that you could post or email me your dealer contact info? My email is hobbes1962@yahoo.com.

Thanks a bunch!

Calvin
    can you describe about your transmission slipping? Just want to see you have the same problem. I am experiencing slightly slipping from 1-2, 2-3, the rpm goes up by 100-500rpm in between shift (similar to the new camry V6 flare but not 1k rpm slip). Mostly occur the vehicle/transmission is warmed up. Mine is a 4 speed unit. Funniest thing is that even i bought it to the dealer's mechanic, and they said it's normal... :sick:

Thanks
  • devenbpdevenbp Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to remove my rear bumper skin and I read in the forum that you have done this before. Do you have a diagram that you can send me that would show me how to remove that bumper skin. Or if you have any pointers on how to get that bumper skin off that would be great. My email address is devenbp@hotmail.com. I appreciate it very much.
    I found the actual TSB on line about six weeks ago. I sent it to my local dealer and to Nissan USA. As usual, my local dealer did nothing and Nissan USA did not respond.

Now for the good news....

I took my Quest on a trip to Florida (Disney), from PA. The chain noise grew worse. I contacted a local dealer and they repaired it UNDER Warranty. I told them the whole story even about my local dealers warranty claim denial because I did not have oil change receipts. The mechanic rolled his eyes and said if he pulled off the timing cover and there was no sign of neglect (sludge, etc.) that Nissan had no grounds to deny the claim. He took it apart and found that the retaining hook at the end of the chain guide had broken off and the nylon (or duron or whatever the material is) slid on the metal support. This caused the chain tensioner to completely extend but still not press the guide enough to adequately tension the chain.

There is more, but suffice to to say that my quest runs like a QUIET top. If I lived in Orlando I would definitely give Bill Ray Nissan a look for my next minivan since I see at least one more in my future. There is no way I would buy another one locally. I have no faith in the dealership

Thanks to all for your advice and for "listening".

Calvin
    What dealer di you buy from? I also live in PA.
    Porecco Nissan in Erie PA. Their service manager is technically weak (to put it kindly) and they made no attempt to be my advocate when the chain guide failure occurred. If they were the only car dealership in Erie, I would ride the bus. Like I said, Bill Ray Nissan in Orlando fixed it under warranty and it purrs like a kitten.
    I'm glad you got it fixed. I live in south central PA.
  • questforthebayquestforthebay Member Posts: 3
    anyone have a problem with this system? my alarm started sounding real sick then completely failed.

2004 Quest SL
    105 kms
    My Quest is experiencing tranmission flare; noticable from 2nd-3rd. The rpm spikes up by a couple hundred.

To all the Quest owners

Does your Quest shift like this?
    http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.5bc80d99

Mine is 4 speed auto. This problem occurs after the tranmission warmed-up after 15 mintues drive. No flare when the tranny is cold. There is nothing wrong with the techometer. The engine rawrs at the spike. Dealer(s) denied this "issue", and said it is functioning within spec & "You have an excellent tranny."... lol

Suggestion or advice is welcome.
    Never seen that on the 5speed. Though a half dozen times in the last 3 years it has down shifted then quickly up shifted to the same gear...this while cruising at very slow speeds...10ph or so.

I have noticed that the vehicle shifts smoother when I don't watch the tach...old habits of driving manual cause me to slightly lift the throttle which causes it to shift rougher than it should
    It looked like the tach may have jumped 100-200 rpms????? I don't see a problem. Are there any other issues while driving? Also you have a 5yr/60k powertrain warranty.
    Thanks for the replies. The tach did jumped by 100-200rpm & the engine also was revving up. I am not sure about this is a programmable error or mechanical problem. The transmission revs up by 200-500rpm when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have never seen a automatic transmission shift like that when it is warmed up. I have a steady foot; my family members could also dublicate this problem. I agree this video may looks "normal", but I may have to record a video during summer, which sometime i see it revs up by as much as 500rpm.
  • frankiewfrankiew Member Posts: 10
    Hello all,
    I have an 05 Nissan Quest and cant seem to get my Interior lights (Not the DASH lights) to come on i have checked the fuses under the hood and in the Auto. Any one got any clue to where I can look next. My wife needs it especially when she when darkness comes.. they all just WENT OUT???

Thanx
    frankiew
    It seems to me it just an switch or knob in the same area as the sensor override button is (lower left dash on my 2004) I will check it out when I get home.
    Hey Calvin i have done every thing but PULLED the cover off that KNOB and still Nothing.. Not even when i attempt to turn them to the ON position... Got me fustrated and my Wife concerned also.
    Thanx for taking a look when you get home also..
  • ckeoughckeough Member Posts: 15
    carzzz,

I haven't been here is a while. My tranny "slipped" with the tach needle going up, but was also noisy during some slips giving out a "grinding or whining" sound under acceleration. This was not all the time, usually when turning to the right and up a slight incline. Dealer's mechanic went for a ride with me one morning and it took 5 miles of turns to get it to do the problem, he immediately said "It's slipping, we need to replace it"

Recently the "vibration' at 2100 RPM has started and I did find TSB 04096. This appears to be the exhaust problem reported by many. Never felt this before, van has 29000; 2006 S.

Chris
    for some reason my Nissan interior lights wont come on NONE of THEM?? Anybody got any Clues???

Thanx in advance
    Did you check the fuses?

You mean each individual light or the master switch to the left of the steering that turns them on all at once? BTW...did you check the obvious to make sure the master switch is not turned off...and is in the door position?
    Hey Ivan I checked each Fuse( They dont particularily say Interior lights (ANYMORE) But I toned out each one of them and I have the Position for Door and also tried it for the ON Position also. Let me know what you think. Checked all fuses even those under the HOOD included???

Thanx
    Frankie
  • markwilson66markwilson66 Member Posts: 4
    Calvin,
    I'm trying to pull the rear bumper skin on my 04 Quest to replace a backup sensor.
    I think I got all the fasteners off. 4 black expansion pins underneath, 2 bolts under the taillight housings plus the little twist locks . 2 bolts up near the mud guard.
    The problem I'm having is the 3 or 4 clips on each side at the seam where the skin meets the quarter panel. I dont want to pull too hard and break it. Is there some secret to getting this thing off without damaging it. I wouls really appreciate any advice you could provide!
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark,

I dont remember exactly, but I think ther clips you are talking about are just expansion type with plastic screws that strip & shread when you try to back out the screw. I will take a look when I get home (about an hour) & update if needed.

I am pretty sure I just replaced them all after I destroyed most of them trying to remove them.

Calvin
  • markwilson66markwilson66 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Calvin,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Actually I was able to get those 4 plasitc fasteners off. The problem I am having is getting the bumper skin pulled off the back. There seams to be some kind of snap type fasteners on on each side, at the seam between the bumper skin and the quarter panel. I'm guessing that the whole thing slides off the back once all these are undone but it seems like something is going to break if I pull too hard. There is no way to get a tool in there.

Thanks again!
    Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Mark, not sure if this sheds a whole lot of light on your problem. Found it in an online manual.

REAR BUMPER

1. Remove rear combination lamp RH and LH assemblies.
    2. Disconnect sonar sensor harness connector, if equipped.
    3. Remove top and bottom clips from rear bumper fascia
    4. Remove rear bumper side brackets from rear bumper fascia. Twist bracket 1/4 turn to remove.
    5. Remove rear bumper fascia screws.
    6. Remove rear bumper fascia.
    7. Remove rear bumper side brackets.
    8. Remove bumper reinforcement. Separate energy absorber and rear bumper reinforcement.
    9. Remove step pad from rear bumper fascia.
    10. Disconnect harness from sonar sensors, if equipped.
    11. Remove sonar sensors and retainers from rear bumper fascia, if equipped. Separate sensors and retainers.
    12. Remove sonar sensor harness from rear bumper fascia.
    13. Remove drafter duct from rear bumper area.

Installation is in the reverse order of removal.

Here's a photo that hopefully will be big enough to see too.

Steve, visiting host
  • cmesurfcmesurf Member Posts: 1
    My engine has aquired an electric car whin. It was all the time until this week. The only thing that has changed are our temperatures. They have reached 70+. The sound stays the same no matter what you are doing. The engine runs really well wxcept for this whin. I took it to our mechanic and he had no idea, suggested it was the timing chain??? So I dropped it off at the dealer 3 days ago...They still have no idea what it might be. Told me that it might be an electric motor mount it if so it could burn up and it would not matter? :confuse: :mad:

Is anyone familiar with this noise and have some intelegent ideas as to what it might be and what I should have repaired to get rid of the noise?
  • vonbill3vonbill3 Member Posts: 20
    The plastic part that retains the visor has failed on 2 driver-side visors. I returned to the dealer and had a new one ordered under warranty. The new one as delivered to the dealer had the same plastic part broken in addition to the electrical connector which also was broken. The visor has been back-ordered at Nissan and I am not sure when a new one will be delivered.

Out of curiosity, I checked the passenger-side visor. The plastic retainer was not broken, but had 2 holes in the exact area where the other retainers have failed.

There have been only a few reports of broken visors on this forum so I am wondering
    if this is a rare problem and am I just unlucky to have 3 failures and a potential failure or have others had failures which were not reported here.

My 2004 Quest will be out of warranty in July, so I am concerned about future failures--the visors cost about $80.

Also, failure is a serious hazard, because when the retainer fails the visor has a habit of dropping and hanging by the electrical connection and blocking vision. The last time this happened was on the freeway at 70 mph.
    Hey,

I had a buzzing/clattering noise when my timing chain tensioner failed. Other posts have described a similar failure as a whine. I think if it is the main chain, it is louder as the chaincontacts the housing. The secondary chains are shorter andrun faster so they may whine when a tensioner fails. There is a TSB out on the problem....You are not the first. If you are out of warranty you ar looking at $2000 or mor if it uis a tensioner failure.

Good luck!

CaLviN
  • jpjrjpjr Member Posts: 1
    Here goes. This van is an electrical disaster. The radio comes on and off as it pleases. The alternator has gone bad on me twice, and now the acwill randomly blow warm air. The cd player has stopped working all together. I took it to the dealership and they had no answer for the ac or the cd player. I did a little research on my own and replaced the clutch sensor for the ac as it made the most since. Wrong. It is getting very hot in Texas, and I would like for the ac to at least work. Short of checking for ground issues or replacing the ECM, any ideas? Thanks for your time.
  • ernie144ernie144 Member Posts: 5
    Radio and CD were recalls. Check with dealer. Haven't heard about (nor experienced) AC issues
    We had the timing chain problem summer of '06 I believe. Yeap, it's costly. The dealer has a TSB and they should know what it is. The dealer here says they are seeing a lot of failures in all Nissan/Infinity 3.5 engines.

Be aware that if you have a 2004 Quest, Nissan revised the powertrain warranty to 100k miles due to a 2004 customer service/satisfaction iniative.

Mark
    2004 Quest SE
  • sharriersharrier Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my drivers side sun visor failing and falling in my face at least 5 times. The new one replaced broke within a day. Nissan dealer said too bad . It falls and and hangs by a cord blocking my vision. This is very dangerous. The nissan dealers over the years have made me feel like I am to blame for it. I am 49 years old. I have never had a problem with a visor. They say I am too rough with it. I am not. Now they are refusing to fix the last one. So I am left to deal with this dangerous problem. I am going to have to trade it in I guess. I can not drive it like this. I do not know where to turn for help. Anyone with suggestions On what i can do
    I've expressede my view on the timing chain tensioner failure before. Mine was on the main chain chain guide. The platic hook on the end simply broke off. I had to drive 1100 miles to Forida last Decenber to get Bill Ray Nissan to fix it under warranty (Thanks again Bill eay!!!!), but it is running great now.

Recently (since we have owned it actually) it has been the little things. Our local dealer lubed and adjusted our power door several (like 10 times) over the four years we have owned this van, and now they say that the problem is a grease build up, and "we" should be using a silicone based lube! The just did it as a "courtesy" for us since it is not a warrany item (still under 60K & 48 months). My question is...Is the door designe to only work part of the time afte the car is a couple months old?

GRRRRRR!!!!!!! Thanks for the vent time.

Calvin
    Do your power doors stick?

We've had one of ours stick...periodically. I've had them look at it (when it was under warranty) and all they did was spray it. They said they adjusted it...but I doubt they did (it performed exactly the same after).

Our rear lift gate also periodically would reverse itself (going up or down)...this started a month or so out of warranty.

Also just out of warranty we started to get the "odd" light show up (VDC off...BRAKE light)...but a re-start of the vehicle would correct it.

We're still dealing with an exhaust rattle (for over a year now)...I've had it to 5 different places...last one cut off an exhaust shield (said it wasn't needed)...and I was tired dealing with it so I said "If it works, cut it off"...still there.

Rattle is an understatement...at 2K and 3K rpm it sounds like an empty coffee can with bolts in it...violently shaking.

Not too impressed with the durability of the Nissan...it's only 3 years old...we want another 5 years out of it but I doubt it'll make it that far...or it will with all of the "features" VDC...power doors etc. non-functional.
    Hi,

Never had the door stick shut, just intermittently stop/reverse when it is 80% closed. Several other smaller annoyances (radio reception is awful), but only the timing chain tensioner guide was potentially costly...about $3000.

We do get the occasional start up in 3rd/4th gear, but turning the motor off for a few seconds has always reset it. I have seen a TSB, but have little confidence that my local dealer will have a clue.

I look at my quest like a couple Caravan's I have owned. Great features and forward thinking design, but poor execution in too many areas. Ours is paid off in December. I hope to get at least 2+ more years out of it before I move on.

Regards,

CaLviN