Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    You can see pricing source at this page: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0305/28/m01c.html and personally I think it's over priced. I was looking at 3.5SL which will include some important features. And if they will not drop price for at least 1K, I'll go for Sienna or Ody. Also I compared specs for Quest 2004, Sienna 2004, and 2003 Ody: I am not impressed..... I'll post some later
    Look at rpm data for example, all this power Quest is getting at 5,800 rpm (at 300 more then Ody, and 200 more then Sienna), and why no data about turning circle, will it be huge?:
    Odyssey 2003
    MSRP Invoice TMV
    27,360 $24,663 $26,615
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 240 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5500 rpm, Torque: 242 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 4500 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs.
    Turning Circle: 37.7 ft.
    Sienna 2004
    with BW package #7
    MSRP Invoice TMV
    $27,665 $24,707 $27,665
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 230 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5600 rpm, Torque: 242 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 3600 rpm Maximum Payload: 1570 lbs.
    Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs
    Turning Circle: 36.8 ft.
    Quest 2004
    $27,000-$33,000
    Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 240 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5,800 rpm, Torque: 242 @ 4,400 rpm
    Maximum Engine Speed 6,500 RPM
    Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs
    Turning Circle: ??.? ft.
    I compared Oddyssey EX, Sienna LE with #7 package, and Quest 3.5SL
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Customers are not stupid, and Nissan is not
    stupid too. Normally, with the same level
    features, Nissan Quest should be $750 dollar
    cheaper than Honda Oddy, and $1500 cheaper than
    Toyota Sienna. If Quest don't put such kind
    price tag, who will buy Nissan Quest? I believe
    Nissan know this if Nissan try to sale about 80K
    Quest per year. Quest Style may attract 24K buyers, Nissan Loyal another 24K buyers. What
    other 32K buyers come from? they comes as value-based
    customers.
    Ground Clearance: 5.8 in. this is very low. Sure, it's great for car stability, but I am not sure about even short off-asphalt segments, for example during road construction, trip to local farm to get fruits, or even debris on road. (Sienna - 6.9 in. didn't find Odyssey clearance data, but my friend is not happy about it).
    Image where you can see 5.8 in.

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/manufacturing/color/canton_q- uest_11.jpg

I may just nagging, very likely I'll buy Quest 2004,
    because of very possible
    "car-like ride"/equipment/price.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    But maybe if the bumpers don't overhang much, it won't be that big an issue. I scrape on dips with my current Quest.

Steve, Host
  • migsmigs Member Posts: 4
    Found this review to have some good and bad news mentioned great cornering and steering. Something very interesting was that in order to get the 240 hp, premium is required otherwise 230 hp on 87 unleaded. I liked the fact the slider when opened during fueling was still usable because of its widest in class opening. The reviewer like the five speed auto during up shifts but wasnt thrilled about the down shifts, he tested the SE testing price 37,000 ouch! http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2003-06-05-que- st_x.htm
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Interesting snippets:

The 4sp. auto in the S is rated 19/26, but the 5sp auto in the SE is rated 18/25? Shouldnt the extra ratio offer SOME fuel savings?

Also, wasnt there initially much talk about offering greater value that comparable Siennas? It sure doesnt look that way now. It will be interesting when pricing is released to compare similarly equipped Quests, Siennas, and Odys.

Throacic side airbags are standard on SE, optional on SL and unavailable in S? The side curtains as standard is definitely a step forward, but not making thoracic bags even optional on the S seems like a step backward. Side impacts are the deadliest due to significant chance of head and chest trauma.

~alpha
  • fanofvanfanofvan Member Posts: 1
    The Japanese manufacturers are no doubt getting very innnovative and stylish with the minivans. But they are playing games with the pricing and inventory. Odyssey and Sienna continue to sell at full MSRP + some premium; not to mention the large waiting time. Is this necessary ? Probably not. Is this planned ? probably yes.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    neither are at full msrp ody 2-3k below msrp and some good deals are being made with sienna see the boards we will get a minivan next year the ody redesign tells me not to buy one now or till they annouce it, sienna top dog till quest can be driven and closely looked at this competition pushes incentives for chrysler and better prices on ody, sienna and quest. we'll see, i feel this is not the time to buy, let the dust settle and hope to get some more info this fall as to the new ody. the quest being bigger must have a good turning circle and some back up sensors, it is stylish and i must wait to see in person till compare with sienna and ody. ody looking dated and it needs more features but to get nav it's a lot cheaper than sienna with nav (requires high end and many options) I'll bet sienna which wants market share will respond to the complaint of wierd confusing options lists and price. right now an leather ody with nav is several thousand $$$ lesss than sienna msrp and ody is now 2-3k lower msrp so ody is the deal now if you want nav. how the quest will respond to the leaders time will tell......wait a few months.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The Sienna I rode in a few days ago was very smooth and very quiet. Anyone have any info on how competitive the Quest will be in terms of versatility and pricing?
  • tripolitripoli Member Posts: 11
    Check out the review on thecarconnection.com.
    Looks like the skyview roof is only on the SE
  • carshopper48carshopper48 Member Posts: 11
    I went by a Nissan dealership today just to see if they have received any written literature. I was told that the arrival of the Quest will be delayed because there was a bad hail storm in TN. Has anyone else heard about this?
    Sounds like the old "boat sunk in the channel" story.

Well, some Volvos and BMWs were delayed from a ship sinking in a channel a while back, but the new Quest is made in Canton, Mississippi. Why would a hailstorm in the adjoining state affect delivery? Are they making body panels in Smyrna like they did for my '99 Quest?

Nothing pops right up on a net search either. Curious...

Steve, Host
  • carshopper48carshopper48 Member Posts: 11
    The guy at the dealership said the storm was in MS. I don't know why I typed TN. I don't know if this makes a difference since there is nothing to substantiate what I was told anyway. Thanks.
    Jackson got 0.75 inch sized hail back on April 24 - could have dented a lot of vans sitting in the lot.

Jeeze, I hate giving dealers the benefit of the doubt :-)

Steve, Host
    The Quest sounds expensive. (SE trim, I mean) But then again, the Sienna is even more expensive. (XLE Limited) If I could buy a Quest, I'd buy the SL for $28K. (I'm an Odyssey driver)
  • tripolitripoli Member Posts: 11
    Autoweek.com review of 04 Quest.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    From what I understand BOTH the tricked out Quest SE and Sienna XLE Limited 2WD top out around $37,000. I think that once final options pricing is released, the Sienna and Quest will be priced on top of one another, with comparable equipment.

~alpha
    Too rich for my blood... minivans should cost around $22,000 :-)

Steve, Host
    Good minivans with one power door should cost $22K. Better minivans with two power doors should cost $28K. and top shelf, tricked out minivans shouldn't be more than $33K. It's a minivan, not an SUV! (Minivans should cost less than midsized, seven seat SUVs)
    1.)Did you try to compare minivan prices to 6 cylinder passenger cars? For example V6 Camry/V6 Altima - TMV is about $22,000. V6 Honda Accord - $24,000. Maxima - $25,000+. So, it's $2,000 - $6,000 price difference.
    2.)But Minivan is roomy (more material), have more seats, could have lot of features(automatic doors, zone climate, VSR or DVD options), could have much better safety. So, minivan is for urban family, who is pretty practical and picky.
    3.)I don't know much about SUVs, because I don't own any. But I don't like ruff ride, very big fuel consuming by SUVs. Originally they were designed for off-road, we (our family) are spending on asphalt pavement about 99.99% of driving-riding-time.
    4.) I think most of it is about "coolness" and trend. Do I care? No. Is any minivan ugly? No, it's just what other are thinking and telling. I'll buy great durable automobile, with 200+ hp for fun ride, safe for me and my family, and will drive it until it will start to sprawl apart (10-12 years). Am I stupid?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    If people can pay all that money for a midsize SUV then why not for a minivan...Afterall the minivan is roomier and usually has more equipment. SUVs are the ones that are overpriced and minivans SHOULD cost more than a comparable sedan
    Our First Drive of the Quest is now live!

First Drive: 2004 Nissan Quest

Steve, Host
    Great article. I almost lost patience, and started already negotiations with toyota dealers about Sienna 2004 LE #7 pricing. I may need to wait one more month, to test Ody, Sienna, and Quest at same day. Thanks.
  • kmcgirlkmcgirl Member Posts: 8
    Check out:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/firstdrives.htm

another review with some more pics.
    They liked it for the most part for its handling and the engine but here we go again,they had some issues with the quality of the materials inside. they also said the ride was a bit bumpy,cant have everything i guess. Here are the links,if anybody has official pricing out there please post. They keep saying up to 37000 http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0306/15/b01c.html http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0306/15/b01.html READ BOTH
    I am out of waiting.
    Thanks for advices and good info on this site.
    I saved good money.
    1.)
    Spent Saturday night reading "Confessions of a Car Salesman " at http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html?- tid=edmunds.a.landing.buying..4.*
    then yesterday morning, 5 min before they opened doors, came to dealership with confidence to not overpay.
    2.)
    Took Edmunds Price estimate printout with Invoice numbers and TMV price,
    and Local newspaper with other dealer advertisement with "Fathers Day Sale for Invoice offer".
    3.)
    I told sales person, that I will buy car from him and only him today and immideatelly if he will sell it to me $800 over INVOICE. (I gave $1000 over invoice limit to myself) . It took 4 hours to convince him. But I got it for $840 over Invoice.

Why did I go for Odyssey instead of Sienna 2004 or Quest 2004?
    1.)
    I didn't have time and patience to wait for Quest 2004. Also I didn't like some spec details, like 5.8inch ground-clearance, only one power door for 3.5SL package. And wasn't sure in quality of fresh new model, which didn't have years of testing buy other customers.
    2.)
    I did test drive Sienna 2004 LE, and Odyssey 2003 EX , and liked Odyssey more in handling. Also I knew that with Ody will get extra power door, and power seat, also will be able to negotiate good price with dealer.
    Those seemed to be good, balanced reviews, Migs, considering they were in the "local" paper down there where they are building the Quest. I liked the pic of the '93 and the new Quest side by side. The new one looks huge.

Congrats on the new van St_pu.

Steve, Host
    New one looks huge because it's closer to camera lens. Did you try to make of photograph of your kid while sitting, from close distance with his(her) shoe as most close object? Her shoe will be huge also.
    But I bet it still is going to look huge in real life :-) My '99 barely fits in my garage as it is.

Steve, Host
    I think it's all in what you get used to - first impressions if you will. To a new driver who had never been in any car before, gauges right in front of the driver's view may seem strange and ill-advised.

I think first impressions is one reason people give us grief everytime we "update" Town Hall too :-)

Steve, Host
  • FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    Got an email from my local Nissan dealer today saying the first 2004 Quest would arrive 7/3 - a 3.5 SE model. He indicates that I can place a specific order next week. I will be comparing the Quest to the Toyota Sienna carefully. The Quest looks promising and by design, will likely better a better driving van than the Sienna.
    Check this review out. http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=reviews&loc_code=index&content_code=08761025 Looks like this van is really turning out to be a winner. They compared it to a "luxury performance sedan" in terms of its ride and handling. I cant wait to be sitting in a gray SE, sounds like this father of three will be able to satisfy my parental duties and at the same time my sports car fantasies without the selfish guilt! Anybody else feel this way?
  • johnson401johnson401 Member Posts: 4
    Nissan has posted the pricing details at www.nissannews.com. $3500 for leather seats and $5500 for dual screen DVD is ridiculus. Leather seats are only $1500 on Odyssey. Looks like the Odyssey will remain the value leader over Sienna and Quest. I am trying to decide between Quest SL and Odyssey EXL.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    The pricing scheme looks ridiculous indeed. Single screen DVD for $700 and dual screen for $5550 ??????????

So, so .. If I buy the SE trim and load it with dual screen DVD, Nav system the MSRP would top at :
    $32990 + $5550 + $2700 = $41240 (WoW!)

Alrighty, so I decide to go one trim lower (SL) and load it with leather pkg, single screen DVD, Nav system + 6-CD changer:
    $27090 + $3550 + $700 + $6400 = $37740 (Hmmmmm!)

The S trim allows only a upgrade to 16" alloys + sonar and/or single screen DVD i.e. $24590 + $1000 + $700 = $26290.

But, do I really want to go for a S trim when I can shop the competition and get more for the same price ??? Well, unless Nissan dealers are immediately going to start with rebates et al, I don't see why people would want to buy the new Quest. Anyone ?
  • mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    Anybody else got this problem? The main feature that I can't get in a Quest or Sienna unless I step up to the XLE (Toyota) or SE (Nissan) is a dual power sliding doors. Minivan basics 101 - mom and dad like to push a button to open the doors, let the offspring climb in, stand outside the van to strap in the littlest ones (2 year old twins), then climb in the van, push the buttons to close the suckers, and head off to ruin some waiter's day (what can I say, we're a handful). Can I please do this for less than 30K? Sure - if I buy another Odyssey EX. (We have a 2001, it's fine, but daddy needs a new ride, and the Ody's pretty bland).
    We'll be looking at the Quest SL this weekend, but with only one power slider, I doubt it makes the final cut. Now, let's hope the arrival of the quest makes the Sienna a more negotiable purchase.
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    sure is Mickey Mouse. It looks like Nissan just copied what Toyota did. Honda will squash them both next year. I really think that Nissan actually believes it has the best van out there now, hence the high pricing. They are sorely mistaken. I predict that Quests will be heavily discounted by the fall.

Anybody find Canadian pricing yet?
    Good luck guys!
    As I told before, I'm out of waiting.
    Just bought default cloth Odyssey EX for 25,477 with destination (dual power doors, power driver seat, security, climate control, immobilaiser, alloy wheels).
    I didn't like Sienna 2004 during test drive(my personal opinion), and decided to go with well known Odyssey, which had years of testing by customers.
    I am sure Quest will be great minivan, but didn't want to spend much more for new, unknown model.
  • mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    If you use the nissannews.com link to the new Quest pricing, hit the Download icon. There you'll see a slightly more sensible $1500 for the single screen DVD (all models) and $1900 for the dual screen (SE only).
    I have to believe the $700 for single DVD and $5500 for dual on the HTML page is a mistake.
    Same for Navi - correct pricing seems to be $2000 on SE and $2300 on FL (includes 6 cd changer) versus $2700 and $6400 on the HTML page.
    Leather - $1500 on download page, $3550 on HTML.

Etc...

Man I hope these folks build a better van than they do a web site!
  • dbcafyqx4dbcafyqx4 Member Posts: 7
    Did I hear right? The 3 row in the new Quest is a bench seat - not a split fold down. If this is the case, I can even look at the Quest!

Dave
  • genieangelgenieangel Member Posts: 6
    Yes, the 3rd row bench does not fold 60/40 unfortunately, however, the 2nd row folds down as the Sienna does not.

Also, the quest has the incredible moon roofs which is why I put it in the running.

And sonar back up feature.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Note that the 2nd row seats do NOT fold down "completely" flat like the 3rd row. They remain at least 6" above the floor level. And those incredible moonroofs are available ONLY with the SE trim, making you cough up $32K+ for them !! Now, if you are averse to leather (too cold in winter, too hot in summer), tough luck. SE comes standard with leather. Also, please check into the availability of shades on those moonroofs when you do not want the overhead sun shining directly into your children's eyes ...
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    The pricing you guys saw was totally incorrect. The se with everything will list for 37525. An sl with leather, sonar, Single DVD will be 31380. I think that is cheaper than Toyota a little more than honda.
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    We *were* almost completely sold on the new Quest SE (we like the 5 speed, from what we've read, although we'll test both) until we read the EPA estimates.

Is there any way anyone knows to up the mpg even a bit on these things? The 4-speed gets 1 mpg better and is less expensive, but if the 5-speed proves as much better to drive as it seems, then the 1 mpg isn't worth the difference...but isn't there something *someone* can do about this??! Or that we can do, aftermarket?

*sigh* another perfect car blown--I'm a college-educated (actually two advanced degrees) mom between 35 and 45, and I good driving and I WANT GOOD MPG TOO! I know it's possible. They just don't think it's a priority.

thanks in advance
    My personal experience is that I get pretty close to the EPA estimates in my vehicles, especially in the winter months. At best, I can squeeze another mile or so out of my Quest if I go easy on the gas (averaging almost 21 around town in the summer when not using the A/C for example).

Steve, Host
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    Thanks Steve--Yep, that's what happens to me, too, re the mpg on our '98 Camry v-6 (we need a bigger car). Dead on the numbers--without A/C I can get a bit more, just like you.

You know, though, when we had a big ol' '90 Buick LeSabre (before the fish emulsion opened in the trunk and we donated the car), we could get, and I'm not kidding, 40mpg on the highway on a regular basis as long as we stayed bet. 70-80. Any slower and it went down drastically.

But right now we're doing mostly city (I think I read in an earlier post you said that most of your driving is done betwen 0-30? LOL same here) except for the occasional trip out of town and I am so seriously looking for a relatively fun-to-drive (read 6 cyl, good torque) car with definitely over 20 mpg *in town*, lots of rear leg room (rules out the Forester Turbo for us), some cargo space, and good suspension, and relatively good noise blockage (the roads here are strangely loud). We could wait for the Legacy Turbo...but for us the Subaru seats have never been that great, although I've read here that there will be a general redesign for the 2005 model year, although that's longer than we wanted to wait...Any other thoughts/suggestions?