Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    I just read today about the Infiniti FX's, the base model of which gets 280 hp for 19/26! Why can't they do this with the Quest? (I haven't checked the weights yet).

This is the point at which I get really ticked off at the Vast MPG Conspiracy (just kidding a bit)...I just *know* they could do it better if they wanted to.

oh well.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Yupp! The website was incorrect. The downloaded document had the correct numbers. But, these guys should be more careful in posting info. One look by a prospective customer, sees the price and it is a big turnoff !! Anyways:

To anyone who is reading my previous posts about prices, please note that those numbers were NOT correct.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My Quest seats are the best I've ever enjoyed (lived in them almost every day for 10 months on our road trip). I must fit the seat design profile exactly. My Outback seats start hurting after an hour or so and fiddling with the lumbar and seat height adjustment doesn't help much.

The Quest is mostly a commuter car these days and it creeps out of the neighborhood while cold, then hits ~55 for about 6 miles and then creeps through mild traffic another couple of miles - a twenty minute commute. But it does get on the highway probably twice a week for meetings in the neighboring towns.

I haven't been good about checking the mileage lately; maybe I'll get ambitious when it hits 90,000 miles in a month or two and update my spreadsheet.

Fish emulsion huh? Whew. I spilled some grits in my Tercel back seat one time and they got damp and fermented nicely, but it cleaned up good once I finally located the problem.

Do you need as much room as a van or wagon (MPV comes to mind for a "small" van)? I don't keep up with sedans enough to toss anything out there although I almost pulled the trigger on an Altima lease return that we knew the history on. I think it would have been peppier and more comfy, but we wanted AWD for the nearby ski hill road.

Steve, Host
    Re the Subaru seats--unless they change something drastically, I think we'll continue to have the same experience of them so waiting seems kind of pointless..

I was looking at an MPV (my husband still talks fondly about his late Mazda rotary engine wagon :))--price is good but I don't know about the zoom-zoom-iness :) of it, and the mpg isn't all that fabulous. Saw on another board someone was going to do some aftermarket work on one--I'd love to followup with that person and ask what he actually did...We'll probably drive one anyway before we decide.

We do need a small van or wagon, because it's our only car now (my husband commutes by bicycle to work) and it has to be able to do everything, including hold our stuff for car trips (not as long as yours--that must have been wonderful! And what a testimonial to Quest seats!), hold my gardening stuff, etc. And we don't like Hondas--it's just a gut thing. We will never buy an Odyssey. And we don't like SUVs (although the hybrid Lexus is a tempting possibility--like if we win the lottery LOL--and we have to wait too)...so here we are. Your description of the Quest seats almost outweighs the mpg, though--my husband broke his pelvis when he was hit by a van on a bicycle a year ago and he's never been comfortable driving long distances since. This might be just what he needs.

btw that fish emulsion was something I'll never forget (I imagine they were going to part that car out--no one would really be able to buy it--we did everything we could and it just was soaked in there). Fermented grits could probably come close, though LOL
    My wife and I shared one car for about ten of the last 23 years. I commute on foot, so unless I fall down the stairs (a distinct possibility!), I don't have to worry about a broken pelvis trying to commute with the latte drinking, lipstick applying, shaving, cell phone yakking while driving crowd.

We shared a sedan for some of those years, but it's hard to beat the versatility of a minivan for an all-round ride.

But I'd be willing to look hard at a cross-over for pep and mpg; say a Murano (just to keep Nissan in focus here <g>). But you're just barely looking at 20/city with most of those.

About those Quest seats - is your hubby around 5'10 or 11, 170-180 lbs? That seems to be the ideal for my Quest seats :-)

In defense of the Soob, I don't think my last road trip would have been as comfortable in the Quest - Anchorage to Boise in April, with snow about 50% of the way.

Steve, Host
  • craigstlcraigstl Member Posts: 4
    It looks like Nissannews.com updated the pricing on the website to match the download price sheet.

I'm a little dissappointed in the pricing right now. Does anyone know if there will be incentives like other manufactures are offering, or will the 2004 Quest be selling at sticker?

Our target price is around $25k, which the 3.5 S meets, but I've never been one to setting for the base package.

Craig
    Good on ya for foot-commuting! You can never be too careful, though, crossing streets near that latte-driving, cell-phone talking crowd.

DH is 6'3", 6'4" (depending whether he's slouching or not :)), around 185. He needs long seat beds, or whatever they're called, or his legs are just hanging off and are uncomfortable. Our daughter will be tall too and anything under 35" rear leg room is already a problem. Hmmm...We'll have to try out the Quest seats...The crossovers just seem so "focus-group", iykwim...I was initially excited about the Murano but what I can make of the visibility--not good with those pillars back there (and the ads??! What's with the blank-minded yuppie ads? just a side point) I like visibility. So I don't run into cyclists or pedestrians :).

We were going to look at the Endeavor (Editors' choice, don't you know :)) but again the mileage! 17/21 for AWD! Hey wait, that made the Quest just look better for a second...

We'll probably look for a Quest and compare it to an MPV. If we can't decide we'll wait for a Legacy Turbo so we can be disappointed by the seats. :) (all these great trips you take! And so tiny on the ecological footprint!)

You bring up an interesting point, though, indirectly--the Quest is *only* FWD, iirc, no AWD option, like with Sienna, or of course the Subaru AWD (or even the Murano, right?)? They missed on that one. I was hoping for AWD for extra peace of mind on the mountain ranges out here...

Oh well. I'll keep scanning the boards. If you happen to come across anything, current or future that makes you think "Oh yeah, I remember someone who would do fine with that one", please post it here, o.k.? :)

best
    Carolyn
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    the fx is 17/23 I only get 15mpg around town trying to gun down all those pedestrians and cyclists on the way to getting my latte :P
    LOL--see that's the problem: Bad karma, bad mpg :)

Do you have the higher-end fx?
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have the 35 (v6) with all the toys. Believe me mpg are far from your thoughts when piloting one :D
  • mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    Just got my first taste of an '04 Quest SL Cloth.
    Was only able to check out interior and ride in it from the parking lot to the prep area - it wsan't ready to be driven yet. Outside - it's BIG. Nissan's continuing to build vehicles that are and look BIG. I like that, some may not.
    Inside feels roomy - moreso than Sienna and my Ody, but close to both. From the driver's seat, man, there's a lot going on in that center pod. I think you'll get used to it, but lots of buttons on the top of the pod, pointing almost straight up. Driver seats seemed fine, adjustable pedals are a nice touch. Cupholders fold down from right side of driver's seat, but take up only 1/3 of the aisle (Ody owners can relate).
    Middle row is very roomy. Option to Tilt up to get to 3rd row is nice for adults. 3rd row is theater style, and roomy enough for kids and short adults. At 6' 1", I'm not planning to take lomng trips from back there.
    Overall look - plastic show up in only a couple of places you wish it wasn't, otherwise, cloth or brushed alum appear.
    Once I drive it, I'll make the final call against an '04 Sienna.
    Also confirmed 8 additional Quests due at this dealer by 7/19. They want me to think they'll all be pre-sold.
  • FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    Went to my local Nissan dealer today and they had a Quest 3.5 SE in stock, though it had not been prepped by their service dept yet. My impression - beautiful from every angle, functional, roomy, wide and comfortable. This van will be another home run for Nissan. I ordered a 3.5 SE with leather and dual DVDs and will be arriving in September. MSRP will be the rule for a while, according to my dealer here. We looked at the Toyota Sienna, the Chrysler Pacifica and the Honda.
    Did you get to test drive it yet?

Steve, Host
    I have not yet driven the Quest(will test drive the one in stock next week after it is prepped), though we had driven the Sienna and Pacifica. We have owned three Nissan vans, all purchased from this dealer, and have been happy with all. I found the intrument panel of the new Quest to be busy, but the speedometer was easy to scan. The captain's chairs in the middle row straight out of a stretch-limo, the rear seats smaller, mainly for kids and shorter adults. Front seats extremely comfy with terrific visability. The styling up close is impressive - looks very European. My decision to purchase was based on styling, standard equipment, engine, upscale appointments and need for extra space.
    Please keep us posted!

Steve, Host
  • maestroprimo1maestroprimo1 Member Posts: 1
  • cbloms1cbloms1 Member Posts: 2
    I drove an SL (Middle - between S and SE)and I was very impressed. Tight handling (for a minivan), great ride, and nice acceleration. Cloth interior was nice, but want to see an SE. Agree that it seems roomier than the Ody and the Sienna. FEHarper, would you please provide more details regarding the interior (ie skyview roof, leather, etc)? I am surprised that many of the options that are std on the SE are not even available on the SL. Would like to hear from anyone that has seen an SE up close.
    The SE that I looked at had the Skyview roof with the spaces for the dual DVD screens and the AC vents. This looks good, a little plasticky, but the DVD holders pull down manually for each row for viewing and are in the ideal places. The skyview "holes" are slightly tinted, open, but you can pull an opaque sliding screen over the glass to cover the holes. This will be necessary on hot summer days down south. The interior, in my opinion, was simply stunning, and very unusual for a minivan. Leather is top quality and looks better than my living room furniture. Seats are firm, but very comfortable.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But when is Nissan gonna update their website?
  • mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    Finally was able to drive the SL. Agree with cbloms1 above re: ride and especially acceleration. That 3.5 engine is smooth and powerful. Definitely the best driving minivan I've tried yet. However, my concerns about the information center and the keyboard-like controls are even greater now that I drove it. Again, maybe you get used to it and I like the "cool" factor of having the pod in the middle, but there's just too much going on between the screen and the buttons for the AC, radio, trip computer, etc. Fold down second row was very slick.
    To me, I think it comes down to this - I can get another Ody EX Leather for about $1500 less than I can get an SL cloth. The Ody gives me (in priority order) a second power sliding door, 5 speed transmission, and automatic AC (you just dial in the temperature and it adjusts the location and fan speed). I lose the power rear door (most handy for rainy days and kids in strollers), the far more stylish looks, and that sweet engine.
    Mini vans are about practicality for me, so I think the Ody may win out this time. I was really hoping the gap would be smaller, because the Quest definitely is the cooler ride. If both vans were selling at MSRP or more (I paid MSRP less $300 for the '01 Ody EX my wife drives, so I know all about swallowing my pride and paying top dollar), the Quest would be my first choice.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Does anyone know why Toyota and Nissan force you to go up to XLE and SE trim to get 2 power doors and a liftgate? Also, anyone know whether the Quest is better the Sienna, or worse?
    Here's another reason I remembered to be paranoid: what about first year bugs? I really *crave* one of these (as much as one can who hasn't driven it--we called the dealership that was going to be first to get it but they said it was delayed and won't be in until tomorrow!) but I'm wondering--I could probably check on those boards, but does anyone remember how Nissan did with the first-year Altima redesign? What bugs did they correct the second year? If they were really significant, I'm wondering if maybe we should...wait a year (imagine me biting the side of my hand)...

thanks in advance--
  • genieangelgenieangel Member Posts: 6
    My dealership just got the '04 Quest in. It is WAYYYYY to big.... more like a ship! OMG those DOORS!!!! I felt like Alice in Wonderland. Seeing it in person I don't like the styling after all!! I prefer velour seats over leather since you don't stick to them in the summer and freeze in the winter. I didn't like their cloth seats... with the dot pattern all over. Although it was HUGE on the outside, I didn't see ALL that much space on the inside. This model MSRP was 27,700 and had cheap visor with mirror. I did like the storage in the dash and under the steering wheel, but it didn't come with a console.... manufacturers, what ARE you thinking!? Seats not that comfortable. I don't like the pod -- was only considering it for those moon roofs... with the roofs it prices it out of my market since you HAVE to buy the highest end Quest to get it as an option. Oh well, back to the T&C.
    JD Power came out with a report a few months ago that said that new models don't have any more quality control problems that existing models do.

I'd be less concerned now than say, five years or so ago.

Steve, Host
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    Visited Peoria Nissan (PHX suburb)...they said they'd only get a few vans in August, and truly get stocked up in September. The salesman stated that they hadn't gotten training on the vans yet, but would in a couple of weeks. Sounds like Nissan's rolling out the van more on the East coast and the Midwest first.
  • thequestthequest Member Posts: 11
    Anyone in the Chicagoland area know where I can at least see the '04 Quest up close? Also, is it possible to order one and if so how soon might I expect to get my hands on it?
  • david1jdavid1j Member Posts: 6
    Wow!! Test drove one in Kansas City at lunch today. What a fantastic vehicle. All kinds of pep. The navigation system is very cool. Wasn't sure about the center console in advance pictures, but I actually liked it. The windows down the length of the roof are very nice as well. Has all the bangs for the buck & is probably 2k less than a similarly equipped Sienna. Have driven Sienna,Odyssey,T&C and will probably drive home tonight w/ this Quest.

They said new orders placed now will arrive approx. 2 months.
  • modena2904modena2904 Member Posts: 16
    Nissan web site is now updated with Quest.

www.nissanusa.com

Local dealer has two in stock, but they won't let any customers see them until the sales reps have been through training! Unbelievable.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I may be in the minority, but I think that's completely reasonable. They don't want a bunch of questions that the reps can't answer appropriately. They could end up giving out inaccurate information, or appearing ill-informed. I'm sure there are plenty of people waiting to see & drive the new Quest, and once the reps know the ins and outs of the vehicle, they'll be equipped to match it to the customer's needs.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Anyone knocking on the dealer's door a few days after official production starts has to be an "early adopter" and would probably be able to teach the sales staff quite a bit about the new Quest themselves.

Besides, the turnover in the sales ranks is usually off the charts. Lots of that staff training is going to wind up at the Jeep dealer next week.

Move over Kirstie! We know they're out there, now let us see 'em :-)

Steve, Host
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    Just checked the Nissan web site. Body width is at skimpy 67.3 inches. I hope it is a typo error. That seems really narrow. Even Honda Civic (67.6 in.) is wider than Quest. It will make 3rd row seat really uncomfortable for 3 adults.
    We show the width as being 77.6 in.

The 99-03's were 74.9 in. wide. Pre-99 ones were 73.7 in. wide.

link

Steve, Host
    Even though I am not in the market for a minivan. I think the Quest is one nice looking minivan. Looks so much better than the Sienna and the Odyssey my mom owns.
  • leagraleagra Member Posts: 7
    I finally saw it and played with it a bit. It is at Gerald Nissan in Naperville. It, a 3.5 SL, was still a bit "wrapped," and parked to indicate no test drive. I was in awe.

It's interior is elegantly appointed. Wide, comfortable, really good looking cloth seats. Love the touch of chrome on the console and door handles. So much nicer than the cheesy fake wood on XLE. Standard stereo with 8 speakers sounds really great. So happy that I can get power rear door, adjustable foot pedals, standard on the SL. Love the idea of not having to remove the seats at all. I folded the second and third row seat. Fairly easy to do, and the space, OH MY GOD. A girl can really shop!!!

Started checking pricing. As usual, everyone is talking MSRP. We'll see. You may be able to get one from the allocation due within the next two weeks.
    We've driven an MPV, sat in a Sienna (talk about boatlike?), and now done these two too. (oh, btw, Steve, thanks for the reply re the 1st year bugs--now our issue is 2nd year upgrades)

We drove an SL with leather upgrade. Very good acceleration, felt connected to the road, relatively--although going over bumps was positively Buickish :) (that's a good thing--the roads around here could use some repairs so they were a real test of the suspension--took them much better than our Camry, so I'm thinking that it would be better on bumpy off-road stuff too. Our area is so strange--there will be roads in the middle of the city that just *stop* being paved for a few blocks, you're driving on dirt and gravel--and then pick up again...only in Oregon

--the one quibble was that you could really feel the gear shifts. I wonder if that's because it's a 4-speed auto rather than the SE 5-speed.I'd like to drive the 5speed to find out.

Because we'd mentioned that shifting feel, we also drove the Murano, which our guy said would be much smoother because of the CVT. It was. I know people have varied opinions about the CVT, but the shifts, if that's what they'd be called w/CVT, were certainly less noticeable as we accelerated.

It also actually didn't feel as nice in the passenger seat, acc. to my husband--it felt blockier. But it took the curves *really* well. (We need to go back and do the curves in the Quest, because I think it's got the same features re stability).

The Murano also has switchable AWD, which would be great here in the winter. But we really loved the space in the Quest; with all that space it didn't feel as boaty as the Sienna for some reason. Maybe we should go back and look at the Sienna again and see what it feels like now.

We'd have to get the SE to get the traction control&vdc (tc is on SL, but no vdc), and priced out the way we'd want it, the SE would run us 33,530 w/o even anything like "floor mats".

I find it strange that the seat package is an *option*, too. And as someone else mentioned, you can't get any sort of moonroof w/o getting the SE. (is there such a thing as/how are aftermarket moonroofs, btw?)

One feature we really liked about the Quest: the rear door senses if there's someone there (say a little kid trying to jump in when it's closing) and it will *stop* if it feels resistance. Same when opening. I see that as averting a lot of problems...

We saw the green, which our salesman promptly said "ignore the color" -- I kinda liked it but I think I'd like the autumn red better...no black! bummer!

here's a thought--if the SE still feels jolty when it shifts (this was on straight acceleration), he said (although he may have been mistaken) that the next year's model will have the CVT maybe as an option for the SE? That would be fun.

So overall, positively impressed but wanting to drive the SE first and sit in a Sienna again before making any decisions. OH--one nice thing in the quest--the side view mirrors struck me as bigger than usual, so that for this car driver who's used to being able to see directly around the Camry, they naturalized fairly quickly. Was I making that up or are they really bigger? I could be making it up just because it felt really comfortable to drive. Sitting in the Sienna didn't feel so comfortable. And the Murano had some huge blind spots at the -is it the D pillar? and in the passenger corner.

Just our contribution so far :)
    Carolyn
    My husband said he liked the center pod. I didn't. One of the main temperature controllers is marked so that the driver can't see it! and the material looks eminently scratchable, like in the Altima. They really needed to make some good material to showcase that innovation and they didn't, in our opinion.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, I knew I was in the minority anyway :) Maybe the sales staff just want to drive the new vans themselves before releasing their limited stock to the public.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thequestthequest Member Posts: 11
    I finally saw and drove a Quest (the SL) at Gerald Nissan. By the time we got back from the test drive it had been sold already. While waiting, we sat in a 02 Quest and found that to be cramped in front and in the middle. The rear seat was OK.

In comparison, the 04 had much more room all around. I drive a '98 Maxima now so I'm used to having some room. My wife really likes the center console and she was able to get in the back during flight to see to a crying child. Back bench reclines which is nice, cup holders galore and 12-v outlets in the middle and back. We wouldn't try to put 7 adults in the vehicle for a long trip.

Skylights are a major plus we think.

It drove very well and corners nicely. The ride seemed soft to me but I guess most people consider that a feature. The acceleration wasn't great, but maybe I'm expecting too much (did I mention I drive a Maxima SE now?).

I love the power doors and climate controls. We wouldn't settle for anything less than the SE. Love the folding seats as well (there will be frequent trips to Menards). Certainly it is much more vehicle than we are used to driving... will have to learn to park all over again.

Our sales person must have been very new to Nissan because there was a lot of stuff he didn't know. Many of the staff has yet to have training.
    I kind of agree with the acceleration comment--I wanted it to really take off but I cut it some slack because I figured it's a huge behemoth compared to our Camry V6, which *can* take off when it needs to, regardless of what anyone says :).

I'm also thinking that the SE might be better in that department, with the 5 speeds rather than the S and SL's 4. Want to drive one of those.

And re aftermarket: can side airbags and moonroofs be installed aftermarket?

And a general question: is there an article on this site or anywhere that does a comprehensive analysis of aftermarket improvements, cost differences and quality differences? I'd so love to see what's really available and if it's as good as (or better than) factory-installed. I think stereos can be better, and better priced, but I mean structural things like the two items I mentioned before. If anyone knows a good single source on this I'd love to see it. Thanks in advance.
    Check out the Aftermarket & Accessories Board.

The stereo discussions are pretty active, but the sunroof/moonroof ones keep fading away. We keep unfreezing them, but they still fade away.

As far as editorial content, there is a little bit in the Tech Center, like the stereo articles: Understanding Car Audio Systems, but not much else.

I doubt that you'd be able to find any aftermarket side bags out there, or at least any that would be affordable. The liability issues would probably keep most aftermarket companies from entering that market even if it were feasible.

Thanks for the early reports everyone. Please keep them coming!

Steve, Host
    and it's What We Want. Flat out. I don't know if it's the 17" wheels or the 5-speed transmission or what but the car moves faster (we did have a time where it hesitated/jerked when accelerating from a stop) than the S or SL, whatever that was.

Now we just have to wait for it to come to a price we want to pay.

But that's going to be our next car, no doubt about it.
  • knhillknhill Member Posts: 33
    The styling looks sharp. I liked the Star Trek dash better than I thought I would. I thought the covers for the skylights were cheap. I liked the leather on the seats. Overall, I liked it better than I thought I would.

This thing is Really Big. I checked the specs - the Quest is still 20 inches shorter and 1400 pounds lighter than a full size Chevy van, but I think it will be too big for us.
    OK, after driving Friday afternoon, we put a deposit on it & went back & bought it Saturday morning. After 24 hours, still extremely happy. Bose premium stereo is AWESOME!! Love everything about this thing. Even though we paid sticker, was still a couple thousand less than a similarly loaded Sienna. Plus, 2nd row folds flat (very nice) & memory seats.

Will review after a week or 2.
    I'm curious -- well, first off, congratulations! -- Did you drive an S or SL as well and if you did, how would you describe the differences and to what do you ascribe them?

tia
    future SE owner :)
    the SE was their 1st vehicle. They aren't supposed to get their next 1 for a week or two. So until then, I'm the only one in town driving one. I wasn't interested in the other models. We like our bells & whistles.

p.s. I'm also a very big fan of the drive/ride/etc... the engine is very powerful (felt much more responsive than the Odyssey & a bit more responsive than the Sienna). the 5-speed transmission is fantastic as well. plus the 17" wheels. I could go on and on...
    I am trying to convince my mom to trade in her Odyssey for a Quest SE...we will see.
    Does anyone know the mpg for the various models? I'm wondering if the 5-speed would slightly increase the mpg, so of course it would be the ecologically responsible thing to do to go for the SE ;)?

And David, hope you cherish these days of being the first not only on your block but *in town*! with one...maybe arrange for some friends to stand in amazement at your new baby and take some photographs of them :)