Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    It looks like FEHarper is the only poster to have made a purchase of the 2004 Quest so far.

Has anyone heard of the actual purchase pricing people are paying?

I was at a dealer on Friday evening and the salesperson offered me an SE with seat package and floor mats for ~$31,000, sticker of $33,680.

What does everyone think, is that a good deal?

I suspect these aren't moving like the new Sienna. The dealer had 7 on the lot and there wasn't exactly a stampede of people trying to buy them.

I also saw a dealer on ebay selling an S with DVD for $24,250. That's over $2,000 less than MSRP.

Thanks.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I know it have armrests. But the booklet says "ADJUSTABLE" armrests, sounds like you could adjust it to your needs, move it lower & higher when needed.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone else driving a new Quest? If there's enough interest, we can start a Prices Paid discussion and point out where the deals are.

Steve, Host
  • sljbfamsljbfam Member Posts: 15
    Just stopped in to take a quick look at the new Quest at Rt 22 Nissan in Hillside. First thing I noticed was the control knobs look very cheap and easy to break. The interior looked very plastic. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to fold the third row bench and boy was it heavy to open and close it. I'm no weakling but you have to put some muscle to pull it flat and use your back and that much pressure on that handle doesn't seem like the handle will last. Every seat seamed roomy enough. Now a real funny disturbing thing was next to the msrp sticker a dealer mark up price of $10,000 so the Quest SL with DVD package made the price over $40,000 now if someone is stupid enough to pay that, their nuts. Now this new redesign, low availibity, hight demand vans like Sienna, price guageing has to stop the craze must end soon hopefully in a few months so I can look at the Sienna.
  • juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    Steve,
    As you can tell from my post, I'm definitely interested in a Prices Paid Discussion.

I follow the Sienna and Odyessy Prices Paid Discussion, however I'm interested in the 2004 Quest.

Have they crash tested the Quest yet?

If it doesn't do well, I may go for the Sienna.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Maybe Nissan has a supply problem with the 5 speed transmission. They are doing the same 4/5 speed based on trim on the maxima. Give them a year or two and all nissan models will probably be 5 speed.
    Got one! (thanks Walter).

It'll get linked to Vans sometime soon - lots of housekeeping going on with a new Prices Paid sub-board over in Smart Shopper. Meanwhile, here's the link:

walterchan "Nissan Quest: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" Jul 28, 2003 1:00pm

Steve, Host
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I know it have armrests. But the booklet says "ADJUSTABLE" armrests, sounds like you could adjust it to your needs, move it lower & higher when needed.

By adjustable they apparently mean they can be moved up or down. They are not adjustable in increments, my VW Golf has an adjustable armrest with multiple positions, the Quest's are not that type.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    A $10K markup?! Who's buying from them?
  • mlherczegmlherczeg Member Posts: 2
    On Monday, July 28th 2003...Me and a friend test drove both the 2004 Nissan Quest and Toyota Sienna vans within 1 hour or so of each other on the same road course and same exact environmental conditions, especially over some rough roads and highway driving. Both the Nissan and Toyota dealerships are across from each other in the auto-mall, so this gave us the opportunity to test the models in the same environment. The Nissan beats the Toyota hands-down IMHO, especially in driving dynamics...Nissan did a great job in the independent suspension design and a way longer wheelbase, while the Toyota is down-right cheap in the rear suspension design IMHO "cost-cutting for Toyota for it did not want to put the effort into designing a new suspension design to beat the competition ("Toyota trying to maximize profits at the detriment of consumers...IMHO") I am sure that I might get some flack from Toyota faithfulls...but this is true IMHO...I am sure it is not a problem to have technical discussions elsewhere in townhall in regards to suspension design and engineering, only for those who actually know what they are talking about...

Exterior-wise the Nissan wins again, especially with style and grace and functionality.

Interior-wise I like the Quests new dash layout and greater interior space then that of the Sienna, I am six feet one in height...The Toyota looks really small inside...note my friend drives a 1997 Grand Caravan/Voyager. I was shocked after being in the new Quest, how seemingly the 1997 Grand Caravan/Voyager felt so cramped inside while going home...that was an amazing experience in itself.

The rearmost headrest in the Toyota are for kids-only size while in the Quest has all headrests that are appropriate size for adult-size use.

Both vans exhibit excellent fit and finish IMHO.

Now the biggest kicker of-all...PRICE...and real take home PRICE potential.

I went to the Richmond Automall, British Columbia, Canada. Currently this is the price gap between the following...in Canadian funds

Fully loaded Nissan Quest 3.5SE with all options and extra cost white pearl paint and dual DVD & NAV $50,380.00 with PDI and freight

Toyota XLE FWD with extra cost white pearl paint is $45,007.00 with PDI and freight

The Toyota dealerships here in Canada have fixed Access Pricing so you can not negotiate nothing at all. But I am sure that a couple of grand off the New Quest is available with a cash purchase.

Last but not least look at all the features for the full-load Quest versus just a Toyota XLE FWD...Again the Nissan wins...especially when you include the real take-home pricing potential.
    Anyone is welcome to check out the Canadian websites for verification of my information.

www.nissan.ca www.toyota.ca

Thus, to conclude the Nissan Quest really beats the Sienna for every penny invested, when you reach the REAL-BOTTOM-LINE.

thanks Michael.
    "Dealers are charging more for certain models, creating more 'buzz' and leading buyers to spend thousands on purchases.

The Nissan Quest minivan, for example, is often selling for $500 over its sticker price..."

sunspot.net

Steve, Host
  • mlherczegmlherczeg Member Posts: 2
    Personally...here in British Columbia, Canada, I believe that Toyota's Access Pricing scheme is total way off-base and over priced IMHO. Just by checking the competition...this is obvious to see.

As a result, I would not purchase a Toyota or Lexus model unless there was some room for negotiation.

One solution is to boycott these manufacturers to teach them a lesson. Once the inventory levels have reached critical levels...prices will drop dramatically or the manufacture will go out of business. This is just an opinion of mine and will force the hand of all manufacturers in the automobile industry to compete better not only in the technical side of vehicle design, but also on proper pricing structures.

It is amazing to see how many people just shop and purchase blindly for lot of items, not just vehicles in particular.

Personally...I shop around to see what is truly the best value for every penny invested ROI (return on investment) Isn't the industry to be consumer driven and not the other-way around.

Just my two err...one cent worth of input!!!

thanks Michael.
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    Unless I missed it, but how do you get to the bottom line win? You show the Quest at 5k over the Toyota, and even if Nissan starts to deal, I find it difficult to believe you will be able to get 5K off a new Quest. Unless the thing totally tanks, there is just not going to be enough factory money out there to get that low.

I agree with many of your points about the Quest over the Sienna in terms of driving dynamics and the general feeling of roominess. The looks department, well in both cases its very subjective, I tend to give the hat to the Quest but my wife likes the Sienna as she says the Quest has a ugly face.

In any case, could you more clearly delineate the win at the bottom line? Thanks.
    the Quest and the Sienna won't be able to compete once the new Odyssey rolls out in Spring/Summer 2004!
  • modena2904modena2904 Member Posts: 16
    For those who are interested in learning more about the Quest, Nissan has the Owner and Nav System manuals posted as PDFs.

They're at www.nissan-techinfo.com. Navigate to Publications, Owner Manuals.

Here's a direct link (not sure if it will work):

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=34
  • craigstlcraigstl Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I took delivery of a 3.5SL this morning. Our dealer had 2 of them last night, the Silver Mist (which we bought) and one in Green Tea. Both were SL models.

I won't detail our transaction because we traded in a leased Altima, but the salesman did say there is about $2000-2500 in wiggle room on the Quest. There was a "Market Adjustment" of $960, but he told me to ignore it because "who pays sticker".

I picked it up this morning and drove it for about 15 miles. I can report more later, and if anyone has questions, post 'em and I'll try to answer. BTW, it's with my wife at work right now, so all answers will have to come later. :)

Craig
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For those who are interested, there is a full-test of the Quest in the September issue of Car and Driver. Its a bit... harsh, in my opinion, but succint and well written, as usual.

~alpha
  • rajibajirajibaji Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I must really be missing something.
    With similar options, the Sienna seems to
    come in at a higher price, MSRP and dealer
    invoice.

Are prices different in Cananda?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    What trim lines of the Sienna and Quest are you talking about, and which options?
    ~alpha
    i think that the Quest is more expensive comparably equipped in the SL trim, but less expensive comparably equipped in SE form. The S, I think is $24K, so it is competitive with base Sienna LEs. The SL, which starts at $27-$28, only has one power door, whereas the Sienna XLE can be had for $28,770 with 2 power doors. The Quest SE is cheaper than the Sienna XLE w/ pkg. 9 by a mile. the Quest SE is: $32K the Sienna XLE with leather package is: $33-34K+. The Wall Street Journal did an article on Friday about minivans- It was pretty interesting.
  • rajibajirajibaji Member Posts: 3
    Here are the options I selected:

Nissan Quest
    =============
    3.5 SE 4dr Minivan (3.5 6cyl 5A)
    National Base Price $32,240
    Optional Equipment total (below) $4,850
    U01 Navigation System info $2,000
    H01 DVD Entertainment System (Dual Screen) info $1,900
    S01 Seat Package info $750
    L92 Floor Mats info $150
    W95 Cargo Cover info $50
    Destination Charge $540
    Total $37,604

Toyota Sienna
    =============
    XLE Limited 7 Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
    National Base Price $34,480
    Optional Equipment (see below) $4,096
    HO Limited Package #6 info $3,630
    PC Special Color info $220
    CF Carpet Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector info $196
    GV Limited Package #2 info $50
    GU Limited Package #1 info $0
    Destination Charge $510
    Total $39,086

What am I configuring wrong? The base price
    on Edmonds is higher too.
    Sorry. Just went back to Nissan Website and checked. The SL starts at $26,740, not $28K. Here are the options I added on the Quest:
    2004 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL:
    base MSRP for zipcode 45458: $26,740
    Options:
    Trailer Tow Prewiring
    Fold Away Seat package
    3.5 SL Upgrade Package
    (The printout didn't list the prices- I'll get them back here in a few minutes)
    Total Price:
    $28,920
    Here is the pricing for the Sienna and Quest. I priced the both like this: CE vs. 3.5 S, LE vs. 3.5 SL, and XLE vs. 3.5 SE. (The XLE Limited is only built as an AWD model for our area, which is Ohio, so comparing an AWD Sienna vs. a FWD Quest wouldn't be fair, so I checked the most expensive Sienna XLE built for our area, and it was cheaper than the Quest, but was short a few items) So, here goes:
    The options on the 3.5 SL were:
    Base Price: $26,740
    options:
    trailer tow Pre-Wiring $540
    Fold Away Seat Pkg. $350
    3.5 SL upgrade Pkg. $750 (Parking Sonars and a couple more items- I forget.)
    Destination: $540
    Grand MSRP: $28,920
    The Sienna LE 7 Passenger FWD:
    Base Price: $24,260
    Options:
    LE Package 6: Trip Computer/Homelink, Power Right Side sliding door, Rear Seat Audio, JBL Sythesis AM/FM/Cassette/CD with 10 speakers,Special Utlity Pkg., P215/65R16 tires with 16 inch Alloy Wheels, Driver and Front Passenger Side Aribags, Three Row Curtain Airbags
    Pkg. Price: $2,645
    Destination: $510
    Grand MSRP: $27,415
    yes, the Sienna costs less, but the Sienna was a few items short. The parking sonars for instance. Trailer Tow Prewiring too. Both are small items, but I would buy both if possible on the Sienna. So, Price Advantage: Sienna LE Value Advantage: Quest 3.5 SL

Nissan Quest vs. Toyota Sienna CE FWD, 7 Passenger

Nissan Quest 3.5 S:
    base Price: $24,240
    Options:
    3.5 S Upgrade Pkg. $700
    Fold Away Seat Pkg. $350
    Trailer Tow Prewiring: $540
    Destination Charge: $540
    Grand MSRP:
    $26,370
    (Sorry for the long post; just wanted to show the price comparison between two vans almost everyone is going to cross-shop.)
    Toyota Sienna CE:
    Base Price: $22,955
    Options:
    CE Pkg. 3: Urethane Steering Wheel, Laminate Green Shade Windshield, Green rear side glass, green rear quarter glass, Green rear glass, Power Mirrors, Cruise Control, CE Fabric Seats/Door Trim, Front passenger seat/3rd row seat back with hooks, roof rack, driver and side passenger airbags, 3 row curtain airbags, VSC with Trac/Brake Assist, Rear Disc Brakes, Windshield Wiper De-icer, Wire harness pkg.,(e/g Room Main) Wire harness pkg., (I/P Wire) Daytime Running Lights. pkg price: $2,145
    Destination: $510
    Grand MSRP: $25,610
    Opinion to this comparison on next post.
    The Quest is not likely to sell for retail price in many areas, so the price is negotiable, whereas the Sienna is not. So, it would be easy to chop off maybe $750-$1,000 dollars off the price on a Quest. A price chop of $900 is kinda assumed when the Conclusion is written. OK, back to the final verdict on Price/Value on Sienna CE vs. Quest 3.5 S. Price Advantage: Toyota Sienna CE. Value Advantage: Nissan Quest 3.5 S The Quest was short the parking sonars once again, and was also short a price discount and a trailer towing pre-wire.

Okay, last one. (i promise!) Nissan Quest 3.5 SE vs. Toyota Sienna XLE
    Toyota Sienna XLE:
    Base Price: $28,260
    Options:
    XLE pkg 16. (I'm not writing everything down, you can check thru the new cars section of edmunds.com., they list all the pkgs. pretty well. i don't want to take up too much room) Pkg. Price: $6,545
    Destination Charge: $510
    Grand MSRP: $35,315

Nissan Quest 3.5 SE:
    Base MSRP: $32,240
    Options:
    DVD entertainment System: Single Screen: $1500
    Fold Away Seat pkg. $750
    navigation system $2000
    Total MSRP: $37,030
    OK, OK, the price advantage with the Quest's navigation system up against a Sienna without one is not right, but I'll compare both.
    Price advantage w/ NAVI: Sienna XLE
    Price advantage w/o NAVI: Quest 3.5 SE
    Value advantage w/ NAVI: Sienna XLE
    Value Advantage w/o NAVI: Quest 3.5 SE
    To conclude, either van would be a great van to drive, and I would buy both. The Quest has the lower price, but the Sienna offers more flexibility between trim levels. For $28K, I can choose between a loaded Sienna LE or a stripped down XLE. The Quest has a small jump too, but has less options therefore less choices in between trim levels. Some people don't want to spend $28K on a stripped down car, so you buy a fully loaded $27,999 car. So, both vans are great, and you'll make no mistake by buying either- unless all the dealers in your area are charging over sticker for one model and charging a few bucks off sticker for another model. (Quest or Sienna) So Good Luck minivan shopping! Drive both, see which one feels better, and then hunt for the model you want.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Both the Sienna and Quest offer some nice features. Toyota has the laser cruise control (who needs it?), front AND rear sonar system, rearview camera, split rear seat, sliding door roll down windows, ++, While the Quest have cornering & puddle lamps, reverse tilt-down mirrors, second row seats fold in floor, dual DVD screens, sky lights, power passenger seat, memory seats, power adjustable pedals, illuminated controls for everything, ++

It's very hard to decide which one is better. I would like a minivan with everything together!

Also, there is no cassette player on the Quest, Only CD. I have 100's of cassette recordings, and that is a big problem to me. I could not understand why so many vehicles offer either a cassette player OR CD. Toyota always gives you both, even if you go with 6-disc CD changer, the cassette player remains. Honda, Mazda, and now Nissan plays around with this stuff.

BTW, I think the last few messages belongs to the "2004 Nissan Quest vs 2004 Toyota Sienna" discussion board.
    Sorry. The Quest 3.5 S wasn't short parking sonars and a discount. It was the Sienna CE. Sorry for the typo. By the way- I have 100% CDs, so the CD player isn't a problem. The Big 3 offer both CD and Cassette together, so that wouldn't be a problem if you walked into a Dodge dealer and bought a Caravan.
    You can get a dealer installed Cassette player on the Honda Odyssey EX.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Where's the spare tire on minivans with fold down rear seats?

I'm just beginning to look for a replacement for my Windstar (it will take something special to make me buy another Ford, lots of problems and service aggravations).

I own a Maxima and the Quest looks good on paper...I mean web page, but I'll be seriously considering Honda/Toyota also.
    In the Oddy and Quest it is under the floor between second and third rows. This seems like it would be a real "BEAR" to change. I would get the nissan and you have road side assistance. Otherwise with the toyota and honda you have to pay extra for RSA or take out the seats and change it yourself.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    My family owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L, and while the Odyssey is a great minivan, I have gotta say that the Quest is the best thing on the market, look-wise.

I was up in Dayton Ohio last weekend. While the family was at Dayton Mall, I went to a nearby NIssan dealer.

They had ONE Quest, an SL in Tea Green (Green Tea?) NICE NICE NICE.

Made our Odyssey look downright boring. I am trying my best to get my mom to get a new Quest. It looks really big compared to our Odyssey as well.

Really like the design of it.
    Where's the spare tire on the FWD Toyota Sienna?
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    is under the floor directly below the front passenger seat
    Wouldn't it be just as hard to change the tire in a Sienna as it is in a Quest or Odyssey?
    they would all be a "bear" I just had no knowledge of where the sienna kept it's tire on fwd. AWD models have run flats. but there is a little horror story about those on the sienna board.
    just took a look under a CE model. Its basically between the front and second row seat on the passenger side and its a (larger) donut.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    interesting how there is all this new 'buzz' in the minivan market and NONE of it is from the domestics.........another market that is going in favor of imports?????
    "The study also finds that European brands have the highest concentration of automotive Internet users among their used-vehicle buyers. Conversely, the Domestic makes have the highest concentration of buyers who do not use the Internet at all. Luxury buyers are more likely than non-luxury buyers to use the Internet for used-vehicle shopping and research."

JD Power & Associates (Used Autoshopper Press Release)

Tell your Windstar/Caravan/Venture driving friends to log on!

Steve, Host
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Perhaps there is no "buzz" from the domestic minivan market because there has not been an all new model in how long? Ford and Mercury will be first out of the box with their all new 2004 vans. GM hits the road in 2005 with the all new Chevy, Pontiac, Buick and Saturn sport vans. I'll bet the biggest "buzz" of all in '05 will not be those or the made over Honda but will be the new VW Bus.
    The VW Microbus. Musta been researching the Quest too much.
    I love the looks of the concept. It's odd though - every discussion that gets started about it dies off from lack of interest.

My '99 Quest seems to be running good; got new shoes and passed IM today, so it'll be a few more miles before we have to think about a new ride.

Steve, Host
    I'm looking for information on the stereo system on the Quest. As I mentioned before, we bought a 3.5 SL over the weekend, but w/o DVD system. I want to put a couple aftermarket drop down screens in, and will need to connect the FM modulator--unless the stereo has AUX input somewhere--maybe I could use the SAT input since ours doesn't have XM or Sirius.

Anyhow, does anyone know how I can find out where an antenna interconnect is w/o me having to disassemble my Quest to find it? Sometimes they are in the right kickpanel, sometimes in the right cargo area...anyone know or know of a way of finding out?

Thanks!

Craig
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    you can have the SAT button activate the TV sound, but you have to find a shop that knows what they are doing.

BTW, the spare in the odyssey and quest is in front of the second row, not between the 2nd and 3rd rows.
    maybe because we have no spy pics or any information about it except a concept vehicle almost every one is familiar with by now.
  • actdactd Member Posts: 12
    According to Nissan's website, the SL model doesn't come with heated outside mirrors, not even available as an option.

When I test drove a basic SL model without any options earlier this week, however, the window sticker indicted the car has heated mirrors. I also confirmed this with the salesman. I looked around in the vehicle but couldn't find a switch to turn it on.

My 92 Maxima has a push button next to the mirror adjustment joystick to activate the heated mirrors. Is this thing supposed to be a fully automatic operation in the new Quest???
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    My '93 Max had a switch, my '98 doesn't. Maybe the Quests is automatic too. Or maybe it's just the Canadian models that have heated mirrors?
    my 95 Max (dont have it anymore) activated the heater whenever the rear defrost button was pressed.
    My '99 Quest has heated mirrors that come on when the rear defroster switch is turned on, like Deepan's old Maxima.

The mirrors themselves have a little "heater element" logo on the bottom center of the glass.

Steve, Host
    I have the 3.5SL and it does have heated mirrors. There is no distinct switch, I believe they turn on when you press the defog button on the temperature knob. This should turn on the rear defogger and heated mirrors. It probably also turns recirculation (if it was on)...

Craig

PS, as an owner of a 2004 Quest, I'd like to see the discussion of this board change a little. Comparisons between the Quest and Sienna belong in that discussion board--let's use this one for Quest specific questions and answers. :) Steve_Host, do you agree?
    A little off-topic drift is normal and tolerated, but we do have discussions that focus on comparisons where those kinds of messages are a better fit. Like the 2004 Nissan Quest vs 2004 Toyota Sienna one.

Steve, Host
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the heated mirrors are there. they are activated by the rear defrost button, and come on simultaneously.