Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• We were able to order an SE with dual DVD and Nav. It is supposed to arrive sometime in the second week of Sept. I'll let you know if it doesn't show up the way we ordered it.
  • exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    We have test driven the Quest SL this weekend. My wife is gugu gaga over it. Nissan has done an excellent job marketing this van. I personally think it is odd looking, and its looks might affect the resale value. However, my biggest concern is the reliability. Historically Nissan was not as reliable as Honda and Toyota, but more reliable than most. In the latest J.D. Power survey Nissan has dropped below most of the American nameplates in initial quality.

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/releases/search.asp?CatID=1

New Nissan owners, what do you think about Nissan’s quality?
  • thequestthequest Posts: 11
    The Quest is my 3rd Nissan. I like to own a vehicle until I run it into the ground. I ran the '92 Sentra into the ground. My '98 Maxima is running fine with no unscheduled maintenance. The gas mileage is just as good as when I bought it. I have only 90,000 miles on it so who knows what might happen during the next 90,000.
  • thequestthequest Posts: 11
    This questions is not unique to the Quest but, why does Nissan set up the fog lights so that they only come on with the headlights? The few times that I have been in enough fog for it to matter I wished I could have turned off the headlights because the fog only reflected the light back into my eyes. Anybody have insight on this one.
  • leagraleagra Posts: 7
    My second new car was a sentra. I ran it for 8 years, and traded it for a Volvo. I just replaced that 1989 Volvo with 135000 miles on it, with a 2004 Quest SL. My brother has a 1996 Quest with over 118,000 miles on it. He is still driving it cross country. He gave his 1992 Maxima to my nephew. He recently drove it from Virginia to California. We have no problem with Nissan quality.

My Volvo was not well-rated, I followed routine maintenance and never had a problem with that car. The interior was falling apart, but the engine purred.
  • iserumiserum Posts: 15
    Overall Nissans are not bad in quality, they are not as good as Toyota though, Honda has some problems too, I owned a Honda Accord 1984 had lots of problem with it, never bought a Honda after that.The only Honda I liked was the odyssey (it is practical)but after reading transmission problems, door problems, stereo problems we were skeptical about Honda Quality especilly if we have to buy at sticker price.
    Few of my friends have Nissan Sentra the car ran more than 150 K miles without major problems.
    I really don't care about JD Power rating I usually will buy the car if I like it and fits my budget, If people were paying attention to JD power no one will buy cars with problems. JD power rating put Lexus and Buick on the top three i can't afford to buy lexus or Buick (if I need to buy a mini van ) solely on JD power rating. I take JD Power rating as a measure what to expect in a car quality wise, if i am paying less money for a car what problems do I expect.
    Car manufacturer should see JD power rating to improove their quality.

This is my first Nissan, since it is first year production vehicle i bought extended warranty. I don't see any issue with engine (it is one of the best out there) the interior quality might be an issue (lots of Plastics used inthe interior), Nissan should pay attention to it better quality material should be used, I liked the interior styling though the pod seems to look odd first but as I am getting familiar with it I like it now.
  • eflimeeflime Posts: 5
    I believe that there's not one perfect car manufacturer, but the chance of getting a reliable vehicle with Honda, Toyota & Nissan is better, sorry big three.

My friend has a Chevy Astro van & he's had to replace so many stuff it's incredible (alt(2), H2O pump, ac compressor, etc. all between 30K-50K miles).

I have a 1992 Sentra SE-R bought new, it now has 218,000 miles w/ the ORIGINAL clutch! and that's w/ alot of mountain driving (snow skiing). Original Alt., AC (never been re-charged still cold), H2O pump lasted 200K, it's been so reliable, I don't want to give it up.

So, I had no problem/hesitation buying the 2004 Quest SE!!!!
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    you CAN get it with both...we've already had 3 in stock, and sold 2 of them (the owner is driving the other). more are coming, but i cant say anymore without sounding like advertising...lol.

one difference between the SE and the SL is that the SL's nav system comes with a 2nd cd changer in the rear, where the SE doesnt.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    That initial quality rating probably factors in quality and reliability. There's no doubt to most nissan owners that reliability is not an issue. Quality is another story. Of late nissan has begun to wrap their interiors in "aluminum foil" and cheap plastics. While this may appeal to some buyers, repeat buyers probably would prefer the styling of old. Of course I could be wrong.
  • vmaturovmaturo Posts: 71
    I have the last 16 years worth of Consumer Reports April (car) issue.
    And here's how the Maxima placed against the Camry & Accord in the last 11 years ( that's when CR started to actually show how cars placed against each other.

1993 thru 2003. A total of 11 years, but each car is represented only 10 times. CR does not include the year a car has it's big makeover.

Maxima.........(1st) 7 of 10 times......(2nd) 1 time ....(3rd) 2 times
    Camry...........(1st)3 of 10 times......(2nd) 5 times....(3rd) 1 time....(8th) 1 time (2003)
    Accord.........(1st) 1 of 10 times......(2nd) 4 times....(3rd) 4 times

For 2003 it was Maxima 1st (again) and Camry 8th. No Accord due to new model.

I find JD Powers interesting, but remember they refer to the first 90 days. Consumer Reports covers years of data.

This is how Maxima/Camry & Accord placed agains each other, but in their catagory (Mid/Family) of CR reliability ratings, only one car company has placed FIRST in EVERY year of the last eleven. It is Nissan/Infiniti.

The only car that does better than the Maxima is Infiniti (almost any of them).

I think that speaks volumes about Maxima/Nissan reliability ( not that I'm keeping track).
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,913
    Actually JD Power has long term reliability ratings too, and we have many of them on the vehicle pages. There's little data available for a new vehicle of course, but we have various Quest ratings going back 5 years from JD Power:

link

Steve, Host
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    again the options list and packages for the sienna are confusing to the point consumers have complained and it messes up the buying experience, i believe they have had enough neg comments that toyota will change the packages to make them simpler come this fall.
    the quest and sienna are so close but these things stand out
    split 3rd row seat in sienna
    quest has killer style
    quest has to remove the head rests and put them in a bag (yech!!!) sienna clean and neat.
    quest cloth interior looks cheap but i'm going for the leather--???non issue????
    quest rouge and silver is way cool
    quest dual dvd screens (you could probably do this 3rd party)
    quest those skylights are way cool
    sienna has power windows in the slide doors
    quest has far reach for the cd changer
    sienna may be more expensive.
    sienna has more appealing features hid, rear camera front and rear parking sensors.

waiting for info about the redesigned ody and Consumer reports or other respected mags comparo

we have to drive both in as close a trim line as we will be purchasing as posssible. hard to do with the quest right now, i'm not purchasing till march 04 so can parkbench quarterbacking till then.
    basically i rate the sienna as my first pick till i can do the above. It is also a toyota which tends to have higher quality acroass the board than others, ody had noise and sliding dooor problems.
    reasons for a few of the issues with quest:

"quest has to remove the head rests and put them in a bag (yech!!!) sienna clean and neat"

quest uses NHTSA approved head restraints, as does odyssey. siena's "in-seat" headrests are not approved, but are allowed.

"sienna has power windows in the slide doors"

the doors are smaller, with 6" less space when fully opened. the longer doors in the quest mean that the windows are too long to operate in any fashion. you give a little, you get a little, etc...
    When I got my Quest back in Dec. '98 my salesperson let me look through his big (400+ pages?) training book that compared the Quest to every other minivan out there. For every argument a customer could come up with, the book had a ready rebuttal.

You have a copy of that book too, right?

:-)

Steve, Host
    actually, i dont. these are things ive learned for being in the car business for 4 years. i do my research.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    What did the book say about it's small size, no power doors, non-fold flat seats, and no price advantage over competitors that did have those options? (Ford Windstar SE and Honda Odyssey EX had all of the above equipment- well, the Windstar SE didn't have the fold flat seats, but the Odyssey EX did.) Someone who has the book explain what the argument was for those factors that add up when we all go minivan shopping?
    i wasnt with nissan then, so i dont know, but those dont matter anymore, since the quest isnt small, has power doors, fold flat seats (all), and competitively priced.
  • After bowke28 pointed out the mid position on the 2nd row seats, we took all the kids and had them pile into a Quest, then immediately took them to pile into a Sienna. Kids agree the Quest is easier to get in and out of and has more room.

We want the S model as we don't want power doors. Going to get the S upgrade package as well. With the rear sonar my wife might actually try to parallel park sometime!

Does anyone know, can we get the roof rack as a dealer installed option? It is not available as a factory option. The dealer we're talking too doesn't know, says it is too new. Would like the SE-stype roof rack with the cross bars.

As much luxury as they pile into these vans they are still primarily people and stuff haulers. Doesn't make sense not to have a roof rack.
    Some of us preferred the small size of the last version Quest (although that didn't translate to a small turning circle). I really doubt that the new one would fit in my garage, unless I disappear some shelving.

The old sliders are lightweight and don't need no stinking power (I think that's a direct quote from the '99 book <g>).

A big deal was made over the old track system and the 42 (?) different, if not flat, seat arrangements you could come up with. That's actually been pretty handy for us.

Got lemons, make lemonade.

Jimincalif, it's probably too soon for Yak or Thule to have come up with clips for their systems yet, but you may want to look at their aftermarket racks. Check Roof/Bike Racks and Cargo Carriers (OEM, Thule, Yakima) for links.

Steve, Host
  • Where did you get this information about the headrests "quest uses NHTSA approved head restraints, as does odyssey. siena's "in-seat" headrests are not approved, but are allowed."?