Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• thedibsthedibs Posts: 13
    I was wondering if it was advisable to change the oil in the Van after the first 1000 miles.

I have had to do this with other cars I have owned but the documentation that came with the Quest does not say so.
  • shenkarshenkar Posts: 159
    When I picked up my SE 13 days ago, the salesman (internet sales manager, to be exact) said that the first oil change would come at 3,750 miles (which is what the service book says). He then walked me over to an assistant service manager to schedule this service, and was visibly embarrassed when the service guy offered up that the oil needs to be changed TWICE before this 3,750 mile "first scheduled service". Go figure...
    To the Edmunds team for the inspired and generally accurate review of our much beloved 2004 Quest they just put up on the home page. Keep up the good reports guys!
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    I assume the rear panes are fixed, right?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Full Test: 2004 Nissan Quest

And here's our Feedback Form if you see any errors or omissions (like the crash test results; I guess they mean there's no NHTSA test result, but the Quest got a "good" in IIHS testing).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am having such a difficult time deciding whether the money is worth it for the extra features. The SL w/ upgrade/seat pkg/leather/DVD/floor mats/running boards is about $32,080 MSRP. The SE with similar specs is MSRP at $35,730. Thats over $3500 difference for the following features:

5-speed transmission
    Vehicle Dynamic control
    Automatic on/off headlights, fog lights, and puddle lights
    17" wheels
    Bigger tires
    Tilt down in reverse side mirrors
    Power sliding driver side door
    Roof rack side rails
    Roof rack cros bars
    Skyview roof
    Sliding glass sunroof
    Dual zone ATC (temp) with in cabin filter
    Memory for drivers seat/mirrors/pedals
    265 Watt Bose Stereo (opposed to 150)
    In dash 6-disc changer
    Ten Bose speakers (as opposed to 8 "premium")

These are a lot of good options. However, I am also trying to stay realistic on price. Any thoughts on whether the SE will keep this type of gap when it comes to resell time? Are these things worth the extra money?
  • You forgot the overhead console in the SE that goes along with the SkyView windows.

We just bought the SE, and I went through exactly the same process you're clearly going through.

Sit in the back of the SE and you'll be sold. Those SkyView windows and the console in the roof will do it for you. That, and the memory seat pushed me over the edge.

Also, keep in mind that the price difference you're looking at is MSRP, and popular as this van is, the supply is still good enough in most areas of the country (at least in mine) that you can get it close (~$500) to invoice, not MSRP.

As for the resale value: who knows? This is a completely new van, and clearly liked by people much more than its predecessor, and the SkyView is clearly a big selling point (see the Edmunds review). How long are you planning to keep it? If it's more than 6 years, how concerned should you really be about resale?
  • The power sliding driver side door was a must for us. We have an infant and it didn't make sense to have my wife get out and walk around to the other side of the van to use the power feature of that door. The memory seats are nice if both you and your spouse are signifacantly different in height. Also the passenger gets a power seat in the SE. I think once you surpase 30K in vehicle price one shouldn't be worried about resale and what not. If you plan on having it for 6 plus years then splurge because chances are you are stuck with it for a while and you might as well be comfortable.
    After I read somebody had problems with this I started looking and noticed I could not see it.

Then, I took my "Polarized" Sun glasses off and saw the reflection. So... , it seems like "Polarized" Sun glasses will do the trick. In my case, I ordered my prescription sunglasses "Polarized".
  • I broke the passenger side rear view mirror. The assembly is good just the mirror is broken. I placed an order 7 weeks ago. Not received it from Nissan. No ETA either.

Feel bad that Nissan couldn't plan for parts supply. These things are common and they don't have enough supply even after 3 months of their car running on road....
    I have an MP3 player (Apple iPod) and was wondering how I was going to hook this up to the Quest stereo.
    I have the FM method as it does not sound right and the stereo of the Quest does not have an aux input in the radio itself.

Then... it just clicked! If you have the DVD option in you Quest you can actually connect your MP3 Player to the AUX in the DVD player. The sounds is Excelent via the DVD into the Quest stereo system.

With the Apple iPod in the car is like having a 600xCD changer in the car ! (like 6,000 songs or more).
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    try another dealer...sounds like the order was never placed. if your dealer insists that the order is in, ask for nissan's parts supply # and call yourself.
  • I got the mirror finally. Need to install it now.
  • I notice that the Quest and Pathfinder use same engine. Also noticed that when Pathfinder is on TV commercials it has a nice 'rumbly' noise to it. Does the Quest have this kind of sound? Would be cool to have a minivan that sounds like a sports car!
  • Hi,

In my opinion, the newly designed Quests "central control panel" is just to awkward to punk down $27,000 and then find out that you just can't get used to it. If they just made a vehicle with the Quest drivetrain and handling with the Toyota's fine finished interior, the decision to buy would be slam and dunk.

For most of the van owners, it's a second vehicle for a family of young children and parents in the 20's, 30's or early 40's. Spending 27,000 to 40,000 on a second car that is unusual and a new model year is in my opinion quite a risk.

I called Nissan's 800 information line and they said there is NO REBATE in the pipeline, especially since this is a new model.

I think for the our one income family who needs a van for young kids and older parents, I will buy the Dodge and maybe in four years seriously look at the Nissan again.
    quest is similar in exhaust note, but a little more muffled...not alot, though.
    Would you blow off a Manx or Siamese just because the are different, and don't look like your everyday cats??

Similarly, you shouldn't just dismiss the Quest just because it's not a clone of every other mini-van that's been built over the last 25 years. I applaud Nissan for taking the road less traveled and bringing something special to the market.

My 2004 SE is the first mini van I have ever owned, and there is no way I would have bought it if it were just like every other minibox out there. I'm not your typical van buyer, mom, with kids. I'm a man with a wife, and an empty nest. My tastes run to Benzs', Porsches and Jaguars , and I've had plenty in my time (including 3 now), but I bought the SE cause it was the most stylish van on the road. The admiring looks, positive comments and questions I get every day, make me glad I purchased this van. I think you probably would too, if you gave it a try.
    First, I agree with shenkar above. What is wrong with trying something different? Besides, Nissan did not invent the center IP pod. Saturn uses it, as does Toyota and Panoz. I think Nissan was hoping to make the Quest a little different to attract buyers who would not have considered a mini van before.

Second, the folks at Nissan through the 800 number would NEVER tell you if there was a rebate coming in the future or not. They want you to put the phone down and go out to buy one RIGHT NOW. They don't want you to wait a couple of weeks. Chrysler is doing the same thing right now as well. After the first of 2004, their vans will have a fold flat third row. The 2004 model vans in the showroom right now do not have it and Chrysler is not saying ONE SINGLE word about the fact that it's coming. Why? Because they want you to buy one RIGHT NOW. Nissan is possibly doing the same thing with you.
    as i agree with uga and shenkar, i have to disagree with uga on the rebate thing. nissan is actually GOING AWAY FROM the rebate game, a'la honda. they want to match the product lineup of toyota with the marketing savvy of honda to ensure better resale value. the new products for this year will likely NEVER have rebates. honda does fine, and always has done fine without rebates.
    You may be right. I never said Nissan WAS going to offer a rebate on the Quest in November. I just said that Nissan is not going to tell you "No. Don't buy a new Quest today. Wait two weeks so you can get one with a $3000 rebate. Oh, and while you're waiting, be sure not to test drive any other vans as we would hate for you to change your mind on the Quest all together." I just said they want you to buy today--no waiting. Also, your comparison with Honda is not quite accurate. Hondas are among the most sought after vehicles on the market. Accord is #1 or #2 every year. They sell hundreds of thousands of Civics as well. Odysseys are just now selling at a discount. There is a wait for Pilots in most of the country. None of these things are like what Nissan faces. Nissan may be going the way of Honda as far as rebates goes; but, Nissan is no Honda.
  • Since I was the original poster of the post, I figured I would throw my hat back in the ring. Everyone at Nissan outside of the first guy I spoke to is denying any rebate at all. Also, even the first guy never gave me a date, he just said to wait another month or so. This could mean December too. I think he offered the info becuase he understood my position and wanted to be honest with me. I am 25, have 2 kids, expecting twins, and I could really use a break in any form. I think he understood what I was getting at and that is why he told me. But... Everyone else is denying it with all their might. One dealer even promised me that there is nothing in November, making me think that if there was a rebate, December is more likely. The twins are not due for a few more months, so I may wait till December to try to buy end of year anyway. He did indeed offer me advice to wait a bit though. Anyway, if you want a Nissan now, go buy one... They are great and I cannot wait to get mine. I am just gonna wait... Good luck to all!
    i sold hondas for 2 years up until this past march. the reason hondas have such great resale value is because of 2 major factors:

1) they dont play the incentive game

2) they dont sell to fleet buyers.

nissan is trying to emulate honda this way. nissans quality and reliability are arguably equal to honda and toyotas. until the last 12 months, their lineup has been limited, and they played the incentive game with the domestics. other than resale value right now, i see very little difference in the 3 brands. as a matter of fact, honda is now the one with the limited product lineup. nissan introducing the armada, titan, and murano, and with the pathfinder, xterra, and frontier due a redesign for 2005, they will have the most extensive and fresh product lineup on the market. each redesigned or all new vehicle will sell with no incentives, and cease to be sold on the fleet/rental market. the vehicles that have already adopted this are:

2004 maxima
    2003 murano
    2003 350Z
    2003 350Z roadster
    2004 quest
    2004 armada
    2004 titan

the ones that will adopt this policy soon:

2005 pathfinder
    2005 xterra
    2005 frontier
    2006 sentra
    2006 or 2007 altima

there are also a few vehicles with no name due out in the next year or so:

2005: mini-ute
    2005: compact coupe
    2006 or 2007: mid-size coupe

within the next 3 years, a rental company that wants nissans on their lot will have to go to the local dealer just like they would if they wanted a civic.
    Wow, it must be nice to live on a trust fund! About to have 4 kids at the age of 25 AND you are looking to buy a $30k+ vehicle? My hat's off to you! Seriously, I have 3 kids and they're killing me. Since you have time to kill ("a few months") then no need to rush. Nissan just might come out with a rebate after all. You may be able to get a mean year-end closeout deal on another van or something. Good luck to you!
    Again, you may be right. However, Toyota is just as varied now as Nissan will be in a few years and they sell with rebates. I just think Honda has everyone fooled that if you buy one of their products you will be able to drive it for 300,000 miles without doing more than changing the oil every now and then. That's why folks line up to buy them. As of right now, Nissan doesn't have that reputation. In the next few years, if I were Honda, I would be looking out for Hyundai instead of Nissan. But, that's a topic for another thread. I wish Nissan nothing but the best for the new Quest--and the Titan as well.
  • So you are saying that Chrysler is releasing a redesign three months into the model year? While I would be interested in a GC with a folding flat third row, don't you think the PRESS would know about this new design.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Rouge leather interior looks and feels like some cheap furniture you could get at KMart.
         Kia Sedona leather feels and looks more luxurious.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,693
    The press does know about DC's fold-flat rear seat coming in early '04. The reports I've seen have pointed towards a spring release rather than right after the first of the year. I first saw it reported in USA Today a few months ago. It's also been mentioned in the 2004 new car previews in the auto mags, e.g. C/D. So it's no big secret anymore, it's just that the DC dealers understandably won't be volunteering that information to buyers.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Aren't they usually the product of a need to stimulate demand and move cars?

It seems to me it's one thing to have a strategy of not offering rebates and another thing to meet sufficient sales targets so that rebates are not necessary.
  • Thanks for the update on the Chrysler/Dodge minivan redesign. Our family has just started the search for a minivan and have gathered all the info from the Edmunds site. There was nothing about the change in the future vehicles site.

Still I wonder why they would change in midyear and especially since this is their 2oth anniversary and the special edition with the removable 3rd row are in the showrooms.

I also wonder if they are going to change anything else with the vans. Of all the vans, the Chrysler vans seats have a perfect fit for me. I hate to see them design like the Toyota's with the huge seats.
  • raul4raul4 Posts: 95
    I am celebrating the one-month anniversary of my beautiful 2004 Quest today. I have driven it 636 miles and the mpg is up to 16.8 - so says the computer.
         I enjoy taking it for a drive each day and the more I drive it, the more I like it. The design of it is truly revolutionary (just as the ad says) both inside and out. I hope that I like it as much a year or two or three from now as I like it today.
         Yep, it is the greatest minivan that I have owned thus far.