Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• vince14vince14 Posts: 55
    ok, Keith, you're right, I looked at some other Nissans and saw "patches" on them, clear ones! I checked my van again, patches don't appear to be clear, but it's besides the point once you explained the purpose. Appreciate the help.
    BTW - have you heard of anyone making snow tires in this size or can a different size (60 instead of 65) be used?

We have gone from an AWD van to this one, and are a bit paranoid about it making it through the snow as effortlessly as the old caravan did. (My wife insists on getting to work, even in the snow, about 8 miles away, up and down some windy, moderately hilly roads. She is a very careful driver, though)
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    I think you're kinda right about Sienna's 60-40 split seating arrangement. It would be much smarter to offer 70-30 (or 67-33?) split seat. That way 2 adults would fit more comfortable. You divide the seat in 3 (for 3 passengers), and then one part folds into the floor.

If Nissan decides to offer in the future a rear split seat, I hope they will make it this way (70-30) - this will really be a big edge over Sienna - and they should also add the power windows in the sliding doors.
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    maybe Toyota thinks there are more 5 person families than 6 person families. That way the 5th person gets to sit a bit more confortable 40% vs 33%. Just a guess:)
  • dwmeldwmel Posts: 6
    I have taken my 04 Quest to my dealer's service dept. twice, so far, due to Hot Air coming from the floor vents when the A/C is on. The mechanic told me it was a design flaw and Nissan does not have a fix for it. I have talked with Nissan USA representatives several times. They all told me there were no other complains related to heat blowing out on the drivers foot when the A/C is on. PLEASE, IF YOUR HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM, SEND ME YOUR CASE NUMBER THAT NISSAN USA GAVE YOU. I'M TRYING TO GET THIS PROBLEM SOLVED FOR ALL OF US. DWMEL@LYCOS.COM
  • shenkarshenkar Posts: 159
    4,700 miles on my SE, and while I have some complaints, hot air with the A/C on isn't one of them.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    OK, let's ask the owners. Problem appears to be that with the SE auto temp control in a/c mode, cold air blows from the dash vents but noticeably warmer air blows from the foot vents. I do not yet own a Quest, but my wife and I noticed this during a hot afternoon test drive. It was annoyingly hot on a sandaled foot, BUT since we don't own a Quest we don't know if it is a real issue or just the controls were set wrong. After reading other complaints on this board, I called and then emailed Nissan with the HOT AIR question. They said no known issues and said no one else has complained, hence my ongoing suspicion since it sounds like dwmel, hear2ear, hrl, quest2k4, quest0804 all have some sort of hot air issue.

SO, all you SE owners, warm the car up, then lower the temperature setting to turn on a/c and let us know if HOT air blows from the foot vents. We would appreciate it. Thanks,gg
    My SE HVAC works just as it should. No hot air in AC mode. No unusual heating behavior observed in 4,700 miles.
  • what they need to do for consumers to feel 'safe' sitting on the third row split is installing armrest. when not in use, it could fold up on the back of the seat similar to the armrest on rearseat of sedan. that would solve the fear of falling off the seat when the other part is folded.
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    3rd row on the Quest is not split. Its only on the sienna.
  • tmc5tmc5 Posts: 3
    I just purchased an SE. Does anyone know how to slide the cross-rails on the luggage rack? I read the owners manual and couldn't find anything and can't really see any way to slide them without actually loosening screws etc. Am I missing something?
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    would you want it easier than that? personally, i wouldnt want them easier to slide if i had something up there.
  • tmc5tmc5 Posts: 3
    Most vans, including our 1993 Quest had a little release that you pulled to slide the rail and then pushed it back down when its in place.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,638
    Depends on which screws you're talking about too. You probably don't want to mess with the ones holding the track to the roof.

Where are they Bowke - on the towers?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

You just take out that little torx driver you'll find in the tool kit with the spare tire (you know, the thing that looks like a screwdriver, but it's not), insert it in the 2 torx bolts on either side of of each cross bar, turn to the left to loosen them, slide the bar to your desired position, and re-tighten the bolts. It could possibly be simpler...but why?

BTW, if you don't carry stuff up there very often, you'll do yourself a favor if you take then off completely and stash 'em in your garage till you need them, cause you have no idea how much wind roar they create, till you drive "naked" awhile. Ahh...serenity.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    Hello SE'ers,

We have a survey going on the "Quest problems" discussion concerning the HOT air during a/c, and we'd like your opinion. Please check it out, we'd appreciate your comments....thanks
    i, personally, would be nervous about rails that are too easy to move...especially in the middle of west texas in the middle of nowhere with 100 lbs. of stuff up there...lol.
    I was curious since my '99 Quest's rails have a single screw gizmo that you can loosen without tools to move the rails back and forth.

Steve, Host

Hey Steve, we're in a whole new millenium now. And are you seriously trying to compare your old '99 with our '04's? Gasp...my snobbish pride is wounded!

Surely you must know that our neo-Quests have 41% more horsepower than your vintage model. Ergo...you now need 2 bolts per corner to keep your stuff from sliding into the pavement, when you peel away from stoplights.(:^))
    Yeah, but your '04 wouldn't fit in my garage :-)

Someone better check my math, but my Quest weighs 3830 lbs; divided into my 170 hp yields .044 horses to weigh ratio.

Your Quest weighs 5732 pounds; divided into 240 horses yields a ratio of .041.

So my hp numbers are better than yours! (link)

Steve, Host

• Well, you certainly are right to request that someone check your math...

Old '99 Quest at 3830 lbs curb weight and 170 hp:

= 1 hp for every 22.5 lbs.

New '04 Quest at 4012 lbs curb weight (5732 is gross weight, not curb) and 240 hp:

= 1 hp for every 16.7 lbs.

You lose - assuming final drive ratios are about the same, box shape is still a box shape, etc.
    By george, you got me :-)

Edmunds didn't list a gross weight for my '99 (link) and I missed that there were two weights (curb & gross) given for the '04.

I'd eat crow but I'm too busy eating your dust, lol.

(You won't mention this to Willard or Tides will you? <g>).

Steve, Host

i would tell tides, but since im pro-SUV, he wouldnt believe my story. ;-)
  • Does anyone know what type of TC is on the Quest? Is it low-speed, all-speed, is it any good? This is our first FWD vehicle in a while, (I drive an Outback and we still have an AWD Dodge), and my wife is concerned about driving in the snow (she likes to make it to work, about 8 country miles away.)

Since snow tires are not available in the 225/65/16 size, can I put 60 on the same wheel or do I need to go to 225/60/17, springing for new wheels to boot? Do you think I should have just waited the three months to get an AWD Sienna? (too late now)
    I do enjoy driving the van, just took it back and forth to Jersey (70 miles each way), first decent trip since the "break in" period, and I'm really impressed with the acceleration, handling and ride. It really reminds me of my old (90) Maxima!
    -Vince
    traction control is good up to 51 MPH.
  • A couple of tire shops I visited recommended Michelin Arctic Alpin 215/65R/16's (Q rating, 27.3" dia., tread depth 10/32), with Blizzak WS-50 225/60R/16's (also Q rating, 27.1" dia., tread depth 13/32) as an alternate. Market perception seems to be that the Michelins handle better on dry winter roads -between snowfalls- and the Blizzaks have a slight edge in deep snow and on ice, but wear out much faster. Has anyone considered the Michelin Pilot Alpin 215/65R/16's (tread depth 11/32, with same H speed rating and overall dia.- 27.5 " as OEM Eagle LS2's)? Can anyone comment, from personal experience, on their handling and snow/ ice performance versus the first two tires?

Finally, I like the tire pressure monitoring feature on the 04 Quest, so I initially considered buying steel rims and 4 new sensor/stems for the snows. FYI, these sensor/stems are VERY EXPENSIVE- hundreds of $$$ for a set of 4. Does anyone know if compatible aftermarket sensors exist? Thanks.
  • Anyone removed the crossbars from the roof rails(I think senkar has)? How hard are they to remove from the rails? Have a new 2004 SE and would like to reduce air noise.
  • Very few M&S tires semm available for replacement for the 17" size on the SE(225-60-17). Anyone know if the rims will accept 235-60-17s). Goodyear tires that are on the SE are not rated very good for handling in the rain and I would like to gravitate to either Michelins or or Bridgestones eventually. Just purchased this van and it is awesome!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    An automotive magazine is looking to interview drivers of the Nissan Quest. Please send your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, November 17, 2003.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just got a smoke/rouge DVD NAV 3.5 Se. MMM she looks nice. I do have 2 questions:
    Is there any way to set it up so that you can have the dvd playin gon one screen and use the auxiliary inputs for say a playstation on the second? Having 2 kids 4 years apart means barney for one but not for the other.....

Also IT is pretty cold here tonight about -3.0 C (27*F) and noticed that when the auto setting for the climate control is on it defaults to air blowing from foot vents according to the picture on the display. I can easily override this, but was wondering if this was by intent or not?