Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    would you want it easier than that? personally, i wouldnt want them easier to slide if i had something up there.
  • Options
    tmc5tmc5 Member Posts: 3
    Most vans, including our 1993 Quest had a little release that you pulled to slide the rail and then pushed it back down when its in place.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Depends on which screws you're talking about too. You probably don't want to mess with the ones holding the track to the roof.

Where are they Bowke - on the towers?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    You just take out that little torx driver you'll find in the tool kit with the spare tire (you know, the thing that looks like a screwdriver, but it's not), insert it in the 2 torx bolts on either side of of each cross bar, turn to the left to loosen them, slide the bar to your desired position, and re-tighten the bolts. It could possibly be simpler...but why?

BTW, if you don't carry stuff up there very often, you'll do yourself a favor if you take then off completely and stash 'em in your garage till you need them, cause you have no idea how much wind roar they create, till you drive "naked" awhile. Ahh...serenity.
  • Options
    gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Hello SE'ers,

We have a survey going on the "Quest problems" discussion concerning the HOT air during a/c, and we'd like your opinion. Please check it out, we'd appreciate your comments....thanks
  • Options
    i, personally, would be nervous about rails that are too easy to move...especially in the middle of west texas in the middle of nowhere with 100 lbs. of stuff up there...lol.
  • Options
    I was curious since my '99 Quest's rails have a single screw gizmo that you can loosen without tools to move the rails back and forth.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Hey Steve, we're in a whole new millenium now. And are you seriously trying to compare your old '99 with our '04's? Gasp...my snobbish pride is wounded!

Surely you must know that our neo-Quests have 41% more horsepower than your vintage model. Ergo...you now need 2 bolts per corner to keep your stuff from sliding into the pavement, when you peel away from stoplights.(:^))
  • Options
    Yeah, but your '04 wouldn't fit in my garage :-)

Someone better check my math, but my Quest weighs 3830 lbs; divided into my 170 hp yields .044 horses to weigh ratio.

Your Quest weighs 5732 pounds; divided into 240 horses yields a ratio of .041.

So my hp numbers are better than yours! (link)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Well, you certainly are right to request that someone check your math...

Old '99 Quest at 3830 lbs curb weight and 170 hp:

= 1 hp for every 22.5 lbs.

New '04 Quest at 4012 lbs curb weight (5732 is gross weight, not curb) and 240 hp:

= 1 hp for every 16.7 lbs.

You lose - assuming final drive ratios are about the same, box shape is still a box shape, etc.
  • Options
    By george, you got me :-)

Edmunds didn't list a gross weight for my '99 (link) and I missed that there were two weights (curb & gross) given for the '04.

I'd eat crow but I'm too busy eating your dust, lol.

(You won't mention this to Willard or Tides will you? <g>).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    i would tell tides, but since im pro-SUV, he wouldnt believe my story. ;-)
  • Options
    vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone know what type of TC is on the Quest? Is it low-speed, all-speed, is it any good? This is our first FWD vehicle in a while, (I drive an Outback and we still have an AWD Dodge), and my wife is concerned about driving in the snow (she likes to make it to work, about 8 country miles away.)

Since snow tires are not available in the 225/65/16 size, can I put 60 on the same wheel or do I need to go to 225/60/17, springing for new wheels to boot? Do you think I should have just waited the three months to get an AWD Sienna? (too late now)
    I do enjoy driving the van, just took it back and forth to Jersey (70 miles each way), first decent trip since the "break in" period, and I'm really impressed with the acceleration, handling and ride. It really reminds me of my old (90) Maxima!
    -Vince
  • Options
    traction control is good up to 51 MPH.
  • Options
    gary135gary135 Member Posts: 3
    A couple of tire shops I visited recommended Michelin Arctic Alpin 215/65R/16's (Q rating, 27.3" dia., tread depth 10/32), with Blizzak WS-50 225/60R/16's (also Q rating, 27.1" dia., tread depth 13/32) as an alternate. Market perception seems to be that the Michelins handle better on dry winter roads -between snowfalls- and the Blizzaks have a slight edge in deep snow and on ice, but wear out much faster. Has anyone considered the Michelin Pilot Alpin 215/65R/16's (tread depth 11/32, with same H speed rating and overall dia.- 27.5 " as OEM Eagle LS2's)? Can anyone comment, from personal experience, on their handling and snow/ ice performance versus the first two tires?

Finally, I like the tire pressure monitoring feature on the 04 Quest, so I initially considered buying steel rims and 4 new sensor/stems for the snows. FYI, these sensor/stems are VERY EXPENSIVE- hundreds of $$$ for a set of 4. Does anyone know if compatible aftermarket sensors exist? Thanks.
  • Options
    quest4mequest4me Member Posts: 9
    Anyone removed the crossbars from the roof rails(I think senkar has)? How hard are they to remove from the rails? Have a new 2004 SE and would like to reduce air noise.
  • Options
    quest4mequest4me Member Posts: 9
    Very few M&S tires semm available for replacement for the 17" size on the SE(225-60-17). Anyone know if the rims will accept 235-60-17s). Goodyear tires that are on the SE are not rated very good for handling in the rain and I would like to gravitate to either Michelins or or Bridgestones eventually. Just purchased this van and it is awesome!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An automotive magazine is looking to interview drivers of the Nissan Quest. Please send your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, November 17, 2003.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    mitchdocmitchdoc Member Posts: 18
    Just got a smoke/rouge DVD NAV 3.5 Se. MMM she looks nice. I do have 2 questions:
    Is there any way to set it up so that you can have the dvd playin gon one screen and use the auxiliary inputs for say a playstation on the second? Having 2 kids 4 years apart means barney for one but not for the other.....

Also IT is pretty cold here tonight about -3.0 C (27*F) and noticed that when the auto setting for the climate control is on it defaults to air blowing from foot vents according to the picture on the display. I can easily override this, but was wondering if this was by intent or not?
  • Options
    Every auto manufacturer subscribes to the theory that if your feet are warm...you are warm. So they all send the primary heat output through vents located at floor level. Something to do with hot air rising...
  • Options
    My SE comes with 17 inch tires. Given Montreal Winters snow tires are a must. Question is: DO I stick with 17 inchers and thususe same mags? Advantage is les expensive (dont buy new rims) and continue to have feature of tire inflation pressure monitoring. Or Do I go for 16 inchers on rims- initial outlay is more but longterm it is better on the mags and cheaper tire change costs annually. Not sure however if the tire pressure monitoring will work. Anybody know about that? Also which ,make of tires would ya recommend?
  • Options
    the screens are set in unison. the design is so your kids dont fight over who gets to sit in the front or back seats.
  • Options
    no mods then to allow different inputs to each screen?
  • Options
    but check out auto-electric shops.
  • Options
    er2ver2v Member Posts: 12
    Back in October there's a post (#655) about SL pricing in NJ. If the poster is still out there, please email me with the dealer location (er2v@aol.com). And, of course, if anyone else has some info about good pricing in the Phila area, I'd love to hear from you too. Thanks.
  • Options
    Posted this before but no replies so will try again. Need to get winter tires and have 2 questions: what recommendations do you have as to make and 6 vs. 17 inches. Also, if I don't use the alloy wheels that came with the van for my winter tires, what happens to the tire pressure monitoring ......
  • Options
    bgzbgz Member Posts: 4
    mitchdoc,

I would go with Blizzak snow tires. I think they are the overall best winter tire for snow and ice on the market. If you change wheels, the tire pressure monitoring won't work unless you get a new monitor system to install inside the new wheels. I would suggest you buy new wheels for your snow tires and then just switch wheels in the summer with the stock 17" wheels and tires, much easier. Hope this helps
  • Options
    I thoink that is what I will fo. So you are saying that the sensors are built into the wheels? Can they be transferred? I really like this feature. I am usually too lazy, especially in winter to check the tires on any regular basis. Kinda nice feature I was surprised and happy to find on this car!
  • Options
    My dealer explained that the sensors can be transferred from 1 rim to another. The sensor/valve is a small single unit, attached to (any) rim via a threaded o-ring at the valve stem hole. The problem is-if you want to share 4 sensors between 8 rims(4 summer, 4 winter), you need to remove the 8 tires from the 8 rims every spring and fall, to reach in and swap out/in the sensors. That will cost $$$.
    For my Quest, I simply took off the summer OEM Eagles and mounted new snows. The tpm sensors work just fine. BTW, I installed Pilot Alpins, but I'm not expecting as much snow in Mississauga as you are in Montreal. As bgz says, Blizzaks would be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder how much a set of sensors cost. If it is not prohibitive I will just buy another set. This will allow me to go down to a 16 inch wheel/tire which would be less expensive and help offset the cost. Are you driving an SE which size ALpins you get? and where? I am considering those or the arctic alpins which are less performance better snow. I figure while I dont have AWD, the VDC and traction control on this coupled with the heavy large size probaly make this as safe or safer.

I wont touch Blizzaks as I have heard the tread while being great for the snow wears so fast that they last half as long as other tires....
  • Options
    lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone heard when white will be available?
  • Options
    it wont be.
  • Options
    The Nordic White Pearl is totally discontinued/dropped? Wow, that's a shame.

My local dealer mentioned that there was a problem with the color-matching (his description) for the white, but he thought that Nissan would get it worked out and on vehicles in the near future. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    was that the white was not being produced at all. the only thing i can figure is that it will be available next year. they might also be waiting till the titans are in full production. i have no idea...i just know they arent making it.
  • Options
    mikelambmikelamb Member Posts: 13
    bowke, do you know of anyone that has put on an aftermarker roof rack on a new Quest or if Nissan will offer this as an accessory in the future? Interested in the S model but I have to have a roof rack at some point.

Anyone think it will be a problem finding a rack to fit this van since it has a different shape and the roof curves more than other vans?
  • Options
    Try Yakima or Thule.com. Someone mentioned that Thule has an email service for their fitment guide and they'll let you know when they get a rack for your vehicle.

There are other racks out there (Barrelcrafters, etc.), but Yak and Thule are the big two, and I bet they figure something out.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    if you get the base SL model, you can buy the croosbars, but the rack itself is drilled through the roof. if its not done at a dealer, you will void your corrosion warranty.
  • Options
    I appreciate the info. Looks like I'll quit holding out for the white and pull the trigger on a Silver Mist or Autumn Red in the coming months.
  • Options
    try the coral sand...same interior as the white.
  • Options
    bowke,

I like the coral sand, but we're looking to get leather seating, and the coral sand comes in cloth only. We like the autumn red and the silver mist, so we'll give them a shot.
  • Options
    are you getting an SE or SL?
  • Options
    Originally looking for SE, but am now planning on loaded SL. Nissan site and brochure indicate that cloth is the only seating choice for the Coral Sand exterior, and we're after leather.

I'm up in the air about the navigation system, and my wife really wants to have it. The nav system is what has me looking at the SL trim as the top-end SE is out of our price range.
  • Options
    have aftermarket leather added. if they charge more than the factory does, then leave...but they shouldnt. with all the negative opinions about the quest's leather, you can get more plush material...and the color of your choice.
  • Options
    Wow, hadn't thought of the after-market. And things get more complicated... ;-)
  • Options
    vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    so, with no snow tires made at 225/65/16, what do I switch to, keeping the same wheels? Will changing to "non-recommended" size adversely affect my warranty?

Saw something unusual in my local dealer, an "S" model in the showroom with aftermarket leather (not bad looking, stickered at 1500.00) and plastic woodgrain trim for the center console, door trim, even around the center row cup holders!) I thought it inconsistent with the modern design of the vehicle, but I guess it's a balance for some. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just thought it was unusual.

My SL does not come with fog lights, but rather two plugged openings. What's the best source for aftermarket fog light installation? Have the dealer do it?
  • Options
    I bought 215/65R16s for my S model. See posting #735 for the other tires I looked at.
    My dealer said the tpm sensors cost more than $200Cdn apiece. I'm not aware of any aftermarket units yet, but as they appear, sensor prices should drop to more reasonable levels.

If these are your OEM tires- http://tires2.digiknow.com/goodyear/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Eag- le+LS&mrktarea=Performance&treadwidth=225&aspectratio- =60&rimdiameter=17&sidewall=VSB -then you need snows with close to a 27.6" dia. The closest Pilot Alpins are 225/55R17 with 27.2" dia. See http://www.michelin.ca/ca/eng/local/catalog/docs/doc_pilotalpin.p- df for the Pilot sizes. Also 225/55R17 Arctic Alpins (27.2") and Blizzaks (26.9"-probably too small) are available. My dealer suggested Pirelli 210 Snowsports for my S, and they're available in 225/55R17s too (27.0" dia.)for your SE.

17" tires are more expensive than 16"s, so 16" tire/rim combinations without the sensors might still be a viable option, especially with the savings in spring and fall on mounting costs. FYI, use this link to see typical Ontario tire costs: http://www.activegreenross.com/asp/tire_search.asp#generic
  • Options
    great post. Did some research and it seems if I want exact tire size for my car, the only model with 225/60/17 is the pirelli 210 snowsport which has gotten very good reviews at tirerack.com
    Will likely go that route...There is no actual tire that is exact fit for the 16's and am worried as to how using non standard sizes might affect the tpm system and the vehicle dynamic control. I know after an unimpressive call to NIssan Canada they recommended against usin a different size as the Vn was "not tested in that configuration...."
  • Options
    frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    Do the Quest running boards stay lit all the time? or do they come on only when people are getting in/out of the vehicle?

I'm curious if they stay lit while driving? and does it make the Quest that much more distinctive?

TIA
  • Options
    wmealieawmealiea Member Posts: 6
    I have the rb's, they don't light up while driving. Only when you stop and take out the key or use the fob.