Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    we had leather added to a quest 'S' last month...all 3 rows are ACTUALLY leather, and it was more plush material...that depends on the aftermarket vendor. but this way, you can get the color you like without letting nissan determine your trim level.
  • lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    Again, good to know. I'm thinking that we'll "settle" for the factory leather for ease/convenience.

One question I have is if you have the heated seats option, do you expect that everything would function normally with aftermarket leather?
  • dwmeldwmel Member Posts: 6
    Before buying a 2004 Quest I suggest you read
    discussion title: 2004 NISSIAN QUEST + PROBLEMS
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I was over at Mossynissan.com and they had ONE Quest that was white. It was an SE model with every option.

I don't know if it is still on the website, but I saw an actual picutre of the van.

It looked nice too.
  • shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    It appears you have an issue with your van related to heat being produced when or where you feel it should not be. You have stated your complaint in every forum on this site devoted to this particular van numerous times, over the last month.

It appears you are intent on initiating and coordinating some sort of consumer action in this regards by soliciting others to provide you with information concerning their experiences with their vans and, in particular, their file numbers if they've filed a case with Nissan related to this issue.

If you believe you have a vehicle with particularly egregious flaws...beyond mere 'first-year' bugs, you may want to investigate the protections afforded by the Lemon Law. But as far as pursuing the path that you are currently on...be careful that in your single-mindedness, you don't inadvertedly undermine the market value of your (and our) vans in the process.

I have seen this happen many times in my industry (housing), where people perceive (rightly or wrongly) that they have exceptional issues (minor or major), and some zealot will stir them up into a destructive frenzy behind the mantra of "my house is no good".

This often has become a self-fulfilling prophecy when all the negative word gets out (as it always does when you use every available public forum to spread the news), and people make mental note to avoid house shopping in your neighborhood.

There is much truth in the old saying that "the cooler heads will prevail".

Besides...your posts almost give the impression that you're a lawyer, looking for a case. And I KNOW, that was not your intent.
  • catlady245catlady245 Member Posts: 19
    My question to the current Quest owners is how is the maneuverability of this van in an crowded urban setting?

I have to transport elderly parents to doctors offices and have to parallel park in parking spaces on the sides of very busy roads. I have recently seen traffic being held up for minutes because some sluggy looking mini van is trying to park in a spot parallel to the road.

I currently have an Outback and can p. park with ease but I shudder to think of parking with these current crop of extra large mini vans.

The design of the mini vans, I suspect for use in suburbia with shopping malls with pull in spaces.

Ps - the quest is unique looking but my husband says is look like a slug as its sluggs down the road!!
  • dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    I work with older patients and I understand the difficulties you have. When I got my Quest, I had to practice parking a few times with it to get the hang of it. I have not yet parallel parked between 2 tight cars, as I have avoided it. I think it would be different to park it than your Outback which is definitely easier to park. Probably no different than some larger SUV's though. The advantage would be the seating in the second row. You have a lot of space to help them get in in front of the second row. Also ground clearance is fairly low with the Quest, could even be better with the running boards as I don't have those. There would be lots of space for wheelchairs, walkers, etc. If you are transferring a fairly immobile person who cannot help or bear weight on their legs much, they may need a lift up to the seat in the Quest rather than a lateral transfer.

My suggestion would be to go for a test drive/look and look at these things. Then take one of your parents with you for a second look and try the transfers.

Really, the Quest has enough power to not be sluggish and the transmission works well. I think you would find more power at your disposal than with the Outback for sure.

I have the SL model and have not had the issues with the heating/cooling system. I have a few rattles that occur here and there from time to time. When you are ready to buy, test drive the vehicle without the radio on and listen for rattles before delivery.
    Cars, like life, are a series of tradeoffs and compromises. Certainly, the Quest will not be as "stick it anywhere" easy to park as your small wagon. But neither can your Outback offer the interior roominess and utility of the Quest.

You've got to decide which features are more important to you, and choose accordingly. One is not universally better than the other, because our priorities are generally different. Perhaps a minivan is not the right choice for your situation. But most of us purchased one because it offered the solution to our set of needs.

As far as the look of the Quest is concerned...that too is subjective. But I can say that this van (the only one I've ever owned) gets more attention, and approving comments, than either of my 3 Mercedes. And with a 240 horsepower "Z" engine in it...I promise you...It's no slug on the road.

Go test drive one and I think you'll see what we mean.
  • green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 14
    Very nice response by shenkar (#777) and very logic point-out, with such nice English too. I hope I could improve my English to your level, though I am still learning it.

Sure, the 2004 Quest has some small blemishes. But it has several unique features and advantages against other minivans, including 2004 Toy Sienna:

1) Very nice engine. Very powerful! It accelerates gracefully and pass the lane with ease. Runs only near 2000 rpm most of the time, even on highway at 70-80 MPH. Think about it – you don’t really need 5-S transmission if you only bring the engine speed from 600 (idle speed) to about 1900 rpm. The transmission changes very smoothly on 4-Speed at ease, without any notice. Check Toy Sienna problems forum you will see some people complain about the trans slippery on Toy van. Here you go now: you have one of the best engine and transmission combination. I think the performance of engine can definitely helps transmission in a long run.

2) The Quest runs very quitely on highway, better that my friends’ Ody. Sienna is good too. Quest is very roomy and very thoughtful on the second row seating. If you lay down the second seats and put a carpet on it, this car becomes a limousine. Without Sienna’s 60/40 split, you can consider to put your luggage on the second row if you can’t put them in the trunk (very large trunk, may I say). In a long trip, you can lay ONE captain seat down and put your ice-cooled cooler with drinks and beers and even a small table there with some food and fruit. You can still seat 6 people (2+1+3). What a treat to eat your favorite food and enjoy the movie on DVD during the long trip with most leg rooms you can get in a minivan! It's a family party.

3) The Dash Board is a well design and I really like it. Believe it or not, the dash board is more convenient than the traditional design. Physiologically, left-and-right eyes moves are easier than up-and-down moves, and will not easily get tired. Plus everybody in the family can share the car information (some people may think it as a negative point because they don’t want passengers to know how fast he is driving).

4) Most options on other minivans are standard features on Quest. Come on! You got about 15 options on Toy Sienna and it is confusing. Toy even made the side air bags as options. All those options will add up to the final price. On the contrary, Quest offers all these options as standard. Some features even surpass my expectation such as the tire pressure reading on your computer screen. You only need to put on DVD and/or the rear sonar system (some people may not need it) and some other small items such as floor mats (how can they not make mats standard on Quest? What a shame!! LOL). So the purchase on Quest is such easy for you – just run to dealer and bring one home and you got everything on it. Consider most Nissan dealers are very friendly and willing to sell you car at very reasonable price, run-and-grab is not a fairy story; it happened to me at least.

Another advantage is the style (disadvantage to some people who don’t like it) of this beautiful figure. Some people said it is ugly because they are deceived from the pictures on the internet and never see a real one. Go to dealer and check one out! This car can really GROW – from about 20 feet you may think it is not that big… but when you approaching, it suddenly jumps on you and becomes a big monster! Real eye-deceiving and eye-catching! It is actually one of the largest minivan (length * width). I got lots of inquiries from people (most of them are strangers) about the car when we went out for shopping, going to library, and adding gas. One day a small girl in the Zoo parking lots burst loudly “wow, this is a beautiful car!” and our family really laughed for a while.
    no, they are not producing the white quest until further notice...probably 2005.
  • frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    i want to underscore the backup sensors that G.T. mentions ... They should make parallel parking easier.
  • lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    During my test drive today, the salesman said that he has a white Quest arriving on 12/5. I'm interested in swinging by the dealership to see what he comes up with. He said it has already been sold. If he comes up with one, I'll let you know ;-)
  • catlady245catlady245 Member Posts: 19
    Since my husband's commuter car, 1990 Toyota Corolla surprisely passed its yearly inspection, our rush to buy a mini-van have slowed. I was wondering if anybody knows if Nissan is going to made any refinements to its newly designed Quest??

I have testdriven the 2004 Quest many times and despite looking like a slug!!, it didn't drive like one. However, except for the leather models, I felt the interior materials look cheap and not durable especially for kids. Why do these car manufacturers insist on using light beige for fabric interiors.. I have that same color in my Outback and it looks bad after only three years.

Next year as I've been told and read, Dodge is finally bringing out the folding 3rd row seating. THis of course is something to look at but I constantly hear of people telling me that their newer and low mileage Caravans are in the shop having the transmissions looked at.

Thanks for all your input on parallet parking the new Quest. I'm five foot tall and all my life I have driven small cars. I just wished the Mini-Cooper came in three rows so I could transport my "crowd". Maybe the new Microbus is my solution...
    Yep...all the manufacturers use the light fabric, so the Quest is no better or worse in that regards. And I have no explaination why they all do that, but for us, that made the SE the only acceptable option. That, plus the unique Skyview Windows in the SE...totally unique toy which everybody loves!

But for a price, anything can be done. So if you don't like the light fabric, and don't want leather, you'll have to switch it out yourself no matter whose product you eventually buy.

As far as looking like a slug(!?!)...I'm still trying to see that. The van is beautiful to me...and gets the same kind of admiring comments as the many high end cars I've owned. I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. But just out of curiosity, if the Quest is a slug, what is a "beautiful" van...in your opinion?
    if it came with light beige cloth interior, then you were looking at a tan or gold colored van. let me ask you this:

would you REALLY want a tan or gold colored van with GRAY interior???

lando...i've still not seen or heard about a white van. its possible, since the production is full in canton with the titan and armada at full pace.

but it also sounds like hooey. they have one coming in but its sold??? what will happen is when it "comes in" he will tell you that you missed it by a day or so.
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    Do you think it is a male slug or a female slug?
    boy!! that would get pretty dicey on salted roads!
  • dpd2dpd2 Member Posts: 10
    I have a car with grey interior and one with beige interior. I strongly prefer the beige. It makes the interior feel more open, larger, brighter and cheerful. The grey is dark and depressing. I will never again buy grey. Beige or ivory leather will be my choice. I believe the majority of car buyers agree with me on this and that is why you see lighter colors more often than dark. I have two children and have no problem keeping the beige clean and new looking.
    We're considering an SE with NAV and Dual Screen ... a few basic questions for you Navigation System owners out there

1) Where does the DVD go for the Navigation system? Does it go in the DVD under the passenger seat? if so, how do you use the DVD and Navigation system at the same time on trips?

2) Are the DVD's regional? Or do they cover all USA/NorthAmerica? If regional, would I need two DVDs if I'm making a trip from East Coast to West Coast?

3) How often are updates published? Downloadable and Burnable? if not, how much?

Thanks in Advance,
  • traveler707traveler707 Member Posts: 7
    The NAV system has a separate player under the passenger seat. And it should cover the entire USA region at least. I don't know if the maps are downloadable, but you can purchase updated map DVD from Nissan or other websites.
    Thanks, (These were the answers I was hoping for:)

You mentioned I can purchase them online from other websites ... any links?
    we dont have a nav model right now, so i cant look at one, but when you get it, look at the dvd. it should have a brand on it that you can google.
  • newquestcanucknewquestcanuck Member Posts: 13
    We just ordered an Azure Blue SL, can't wait to get it, should only be a few days.

Question: I thought the quest came with an anti theft system, apparently I'm mistaken and it only comes with the engine immobolizer. Is this correct?

Thanks
    AM
  • timewastetimewaste Member Posts: 8
    The Nav DVDs, like most every navigation system out there, are from Navigation Technologies, or www.navtech.com.
    yes, there is no anti-theft alarm system, just the immobilizer.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    updates are put out by Zenrin. latest version is 6.2 all vans built after sept should have this nav dvd standard. www.zenrin.com
    Looks like navtech is for BMW, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Range Rover and Volvo

I found Nissan Quest on www.zenrin.com

Wow, $189 for a DVD update ... looks like the update covers wider range of turn-by-turn coverage and any new roads (of course) ... if i'm in a turn-by-turn area (and looking on their coverage map, i am), i'm guessing i probably won't need to update the DVD more than once every 3-4 years.

Thanks for the info!
    its recommended that you update every other year. other than roads, the POIs and businesses are updated as well...those change more often.
    good point, forgot about the POI's ... thx
  • hamster2032hamster2032 Member Posts: 2
    after a week from purchasing the 2004 quest se, so many things go wrong. the cd player was jammed and i'm still waiting for the part.
    the both sliding doors are rattling so bad that i had to go to the dealer three times for fixing them. the worst problem is the water-leak from the skyview roof. my car was at the shop over two weeks and they couldn't still find the problem. i have to go to the dealer next week for repair. are they going to fix it? i don't know... =(
    anyone who wants to buy the 2004 quest, please consider something else. this is no laughing matter.
    I think I understand where hamster2032 is coming from, and I do think they are being straight with us on their problems.

We all know that there have been some consistent issues with the new Quests, that point to manufacturing problems of the type we typically see in a totally new vehicle. These are the kinds of things that cause people to say you should never buy any new car in it's first year. And it's true to a great extent. We all knew (or should have known) that there was a possibility that we might have to endure Nissan working some "kinks" out of our new Quests.

However, this reality is not limited to just the Quest, as hamster's frustrated posts might convey. I've had the same types of "first year" problems with all types of cars. The worst being a new Porsche Carrera that would backfire with regularity, causing the plastic air-cleaner box to melt and suffocate the engine. It's quite frustrating, and more than a little embarrassing to have your new German toy towed every other week cause it keeps catching on fire.

I think hamster2032 is just extremely put out with the continual nature of the problems with their particular van, and doesn't know what to do to get satisfaction. The roof leak is an especially troubling issue, and I also would be rather unreasonable if my car took on water every time it rained.

I've had my share of new Quest issues too, but as of now, they have all been sorted out, and I am as happy as can be with my van. Unfortunately, this owner has not been as lucky, and deserves our understanding, and sympathy.

Anyone have suggestions for hamster2032? I think they would really appreciate our help. And as a fellow Quest owner, they deserve it.
    is that no matter how bad your problems are, dont go on EVERY quest message board and post the same thing, advising people not to buy it. thats rude, presumptuous, and just plain tacky.
    We just picked up our new quest SL and boy do we love it. Of course we are aware its the first year of this model and we accept that there may be problems inherent with it being thus. I have full confidence that Nissan, particulary our dealer will address any issues I have and do whatever is necessary to fix them; hey we didn't buy a chrysler/GMC/ford product here, so I'm not concerned about getting jerked around by the dealer or the manufacturer. That being said I am also not naive to the fact that it can and does happen to some people, just not people who buy nissan's :)

AM
    Congratulations newquestcanuck! Hope the love affair continues for many, many miles.
    Can anyone tell me about the tire pressure gauage display, in what order is the display, the two front tires then two rear or what?

AM
    LF, RF, LR, RR
    I think the Quest manul says that the tire pressures are not displayed in any particular order.
    now what sense would THAT make?!?!
    May I please ask your source of information? I can't seem to find it in the manual. Thanks.
    is the fact that half the cars on the lot have it, and i've used the process of deduction. we had a quest with a low RR tire, and it was the last number that was low. we had a murano with a flat RF, and it was the 2nd number.
    relax, i'm just noting what the Quest manual says.
    Interesting. Thanks again.
  • mbonusmbonus Member Posts: 15
    The manual is a joke regarding the tire pressure sensors. It says in two places that the readings are in no particular order.
    Ok drving into work today I noticed that many of my preset radio stations were searching as I was driving. They signal would be fine, then it would lose it and search for the channel...Whats up with that? It happened to more then one station and I was not out in the middle of no where, I was in the city on a major highway....Any ideas?

NC
    push the "scan" button.
  • chengmailchengmail Member Posts: 1
    I'm am brand new to the new car buying game. had my last used car for 11 years and boohooed when i had to let it go.

Bought a new quest last night and had to leave it at the dealership so they could fix a couple of chips on the edge of the door,light scratches on the lower back panel,some paint bubbles and scratches on the dash.

Is this atypical or a fairly common event with new cars? Should I be worried or is this no big deal? The car was a dealer exchange and had 250 miles on the odometer. They said they would need the car for 3 days. Should they have given me a loaner car? I would appreciate answers to these questions and be grateful for any suggestions.
    this is common, and dont give yourself too much brain damage over it. they dont HAVE to fix them, so dont push their generosity too far.
    Why don't they HAVE to fix them?!? He bargained for a NEW van, not some beat up demo!

That kind of condition might not even be considered "normal wear and tear" on a rental car. I think chengmail is the one being generous here.

They certainly should have given him a loaner, since he had paid them for a new car he couldn't even take home.
    the question, in legal terms, is whether these were pointed out before or after the deal was finalized. if it was before, then the buyer should have enough forethought to ask for a car to drive as part of doing business. i can promise you that the dealer is not happy about spending a few hundred dollars on chips and scratches, and wont be warmly receptive to another request for another hunsky for a rental car.

should the van be perfect? sure. but if its not, then its the buyre's responsibility to get everything into the deal.
    WHOA!?! In your own words, you've set forth in detail exactly why people have a such great distrust for those in the sales profession...and automotive industry in particular.

Let's see if I got this right. The salesman shows me how my life will be complete, and sublime, with his wonderful new car. I'm convinced and agree to sign. There's just one hitch...he doen't have the one I want...but hey, no problem...he can get it.

So he goes to another of his "dealer associates" and they amicably agree to swap cars, so he can sell to me, and make my day. Only when I see it for the first time, it's beat to hell!

Now let's see...he's where it really gets sticky: He'll DO ME A FAVOR and maybe fix it to make it "like new". Just leave the check, catch the bus home, and come back in a few days.

Yeah...that makes my day, alright.