Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    This vehicle was purchased from an estate sale. It had the extended warranty on it! --------- Best regards. -------Dwayne ;)
  • leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    Perhaps you mean 'a' dealer. You can purchase a warrantee online.
    I don't understand your comment! -----???? :confuse:
  • magbarnmagbarn Member Posts: 35
    I'm seriously thinking about purchasing the 8/120K Warranty for $980 from www.myhondawarranty.com. The thing that's stopping me is that I bought my Honda civic in 1993 and after 200+K miles I only have put about $500 in keeping her running (Exc. maint of course) A previous poster says the EW's are a waste of money... However, my car has the navi which is a pretty complicated piece of equipment. Looking at Honda's part lists it looks like if the screen dies I'm looking at a $2000+ repair in parts alone as Honda doesn't sell individual parts for the navi screen/control unit. That alone might convince me as the car's climate control/radio can't be controlled without the navi screen.
  • don57don57 Member Posts: 19
    I too have a 06 with Navi. I decided to buy the warranty. If something major does happen Honda will cover it. Also the on trade the balance of the warranty is refundable. Like most insureances, it is gamble.
    Refundable or transferable?

The 2006 version is more complicate than the 2003...also, it's the first year of the new version...things are not always ironed out as they may have been by 2003 which was not a new year for that iteneration.
  • oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
    I also overpaid for a 8yr/120k Honda Care warranty ($1800) and then had buyers remorse when I saw much better deals online for the same Honda warranty. However in reading my contract, I can cancel and get a full refund under 60 days but it also states if I cancel, I cannot repurchase the warranty. Seems this excludes cancelling from my original dealer and going to another for a cheaper price...anyone have any experience with this?
  • irishrogue1irishrogue1 Member Posts: 127
    i m confused. i searched and found that car man and others state "mileage and coverage in years are measured from when car is new." if this is correct, then why is myhondawarranty.com offering me options including a 12month/12k warranty up to a 6yr/60k???

wouldnt the 12/12 warranty already have expired since my ody is a 2004 with 31k miles??? The plans they are offering must count years from the date the EW is purchased and mileage counted from the odo you disclose when EW is purchased. Ideally mileage and year count would begin when 3yr/36k warranty runs out....
    Yes, I believe that you did over pay for the extended warranty. You have the warranty now, so just let this be part of a "learning experience"! When it comes time to purchase you next Honda, remember this dealer, and give your business to another dealer. Before I purchase any vehicle, I first make a visit to the dealer to get a "feel for the operation". If you have any idea of "body language", you can "read" the staff like a book. High pressure operations deal with customers in a very negative manner. When I come in contact with that, I just walk out. Let them figure it out! ------ Best regards. ----- Dwayne ;)
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    ...in reading my contract, I can cancel and get a full refund under 60 days but it also states if I cancel, I cannot repurchase the warranty
    Is that the contract you signed with the dealer or the one mailed to you by Honda? If it's the dealer's purchase agreement, it just means you couldn't repurchase it from them. I remember post on this thread mentioning that they were able to cancel the triple-priced HondaCare from the dealer and repurchase online much cheaper. I'm not quite sure though, hope someone that's done that replies.
    You may also try and call Honda Financial directly and get it from the source.
    Also, see post 573 from this discussion.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Might try this topic too:
    Financed Honda Care Cancellation

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
    It is highlighted in the contact information that Honda Care sent me.
    can someone who has the actual warranty document purchased over the web please clarify when it starts (date) and what at what mileage?? the sample document online doesnt include this information.
    ok, went to curry honda site. more helpful in clarifying when used car EW starts. only problem is that the prices are considerably more expensive than saccucci's site. but curry's site makes clear that for a used honda (over 6k miles) EW starts when you buy it and measures mileage from that which you disclose. so if my ody is '04 with 32k miles, a 3yr/36k EW lasts until the earlier of (june '06 +3yrs)june '09 or 68k miles.

so back i go to saccucci's site with the better prices. start playing with different actual mileage scenarios....end result the EW purchase price doesnt change so you dont want to buy it until the 11th hour before your new car 3yr/36k warranty is about to run. that way the EW runs to earlier of 71,999 miles (35,999+ 36k) or EW purchase date (could be orig purchase + 2.99 yrs) + 3 yrs.

so looks like i will be waiting to sign up online for my EW until my ody is getting real close to 36k....

But wait. which EW to buy.

with $100 deductible -

12mos/12k costs $.044 per mile
    24/24 costs $.028 per mile
    36/36 costs $.023 per mile
    48/48 costs $.020 per mile
    60/60 costs $.02075 per mile
    60/84 costs $.014 per mile

at least they priced them such that the incremental cost per mile goes down the more you extend so they are properly encouraging you to buy a longer warranty (it really is a better deal) with the one exception being the 60/60.

But wait they offer $0 deductible plans too. but here the pricing is screwed up....they offer a 60mos/84k for only $100 more than the 60/84 $100 deductible plan - so if you make one claim during the EW you recover the added upfront cost - clearly they screwed this one up. you would have to be an idiot not to pony up the c note and go zero deductible. who among us would buy an EW and not expect at least one + visits over the next 5 years and 84k miles!!

Wait! another glitch. they priced the 48/48 zero deductible higher than the 60/84k zero deductible....what are they doing???? BTW, the 60/60 zero deductible is out of whack too...

...sigh. they really are making this hard. and confusing.

one last thought...perhaps the website is wrong. or perhaps certain of these warranties are on special through honda and the site omits that fact. or perhaps there just is. no rhyme or reason....

can anyone shed some light?

i want to wait til i get close to 36k to buy, but geez what if these prices are specials (the 60/84 zero deductible is a pretty good deal considering i can drive a total of 119,999 miles under warranty or for 8 years from when new).
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    If you don't mind where you get a EW, go to warranty direct. Their salespeople will give you a call and answer questions about their plans. They have one that covers like HondaCare and 1-2 that cover more. However, I don't know about their reputation. It might be great or awful.
  • 1spillman1spillman Member Posts: 10
    Irishrogue1,
    I would try www.5starwarranty.com, They do require that you have 30 day and 1,000 miles remaining on the factory warranty for longer coverage terms. They also only sell a bumper to bumper plan. Great BBB report and large underwriting insurance company.
  • hgbeehgbee Member Posts: 38
    Hi
    I am in NM. I just get quote for AWD EXL /w RES,with tinting and destination at $28900 in dealer Earnhardt, AZ.
    Is this good deal
    After discuss in the detail, I was told, by AZ law, they have to drive 2hour with me to the bord of CA. after get notarization there and pay $200 extra fee, then give me key and let me drive back to AZ. Is this true? too much trouble
    anyone have such experience when buy out state?
    thanks for any input
  • ssusnick1ssusnick1 Member Posts: 4
    One thought on HondaCare warranties. They will probably not have much utility as protection for the original buyer (as the cars are pretty well trouble free). However, they have great utility as an aid to selling a used Honda, especially one that has higher-than-average miles.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    i'm in the process of buying a used 05 accord that has an extended warranty from united auto care. this warranty was purchased from a south sf bay honda dealer at the time the new car was purchased. i'm trying to get some info on the company, their reputation, etc before pulling the trigger on the car. has anyone heard of this company, and will they be around in a few years when i may need some coverage? thanks!!
    cohenfive:
    I would only purchase an extended warranty from the manufacturer of the vehicle. With a Honda Extended Warranty, you can use it at any Honda Dealer. This could be a BIG problem with "aftermarket extended warranties"!----Best regards. -----Dwayne ;)
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    the seller of the car purchased this at her honda dealer in the sf bay area (south bay). i'm not sure why this was offered rather than a honda care warranty but it is what it is. i'm trying to get the details on the warranty coverage and company before pulling the trigger on the car.
    This is yr 1 for the new Civic...there could be all sorts of hidden problems. True, the further you get away from yr 1 of any Honda, the more refined and trouble free they become.

That's why I'm considering an extended warranty for my 06 Civic.
    cohenfive:
    If you are having trouble getting information on this warranty company, this is telling you something about this company. "LISTEN" to the little voice! ---- Look for another vehicle, with a HONDA Factory extended warranty. Just my opinion. Best regards. ---- Dwayne. ;)
  • be325be325 Member Posts: 91
    Our regular 3/36k warranty will expire soon.
    Dealer has 2/24k for $1000.00 with $100.00 deductible.
    Are there a better deals for the same coverage? I understand that for 2003 there is no 'zero' deductable at this point.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    have you read the posts here?

$1k is steep. There are dealers linked throughout this discussion that are cheaper.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Honda Car.com says at one point that the warrantee is good at every dealership.

Yet, under the 'Key Terms' section it states:
    Factory Warranty repair service means a repair by YOUR DEALER of YOUR VEHICLE under the FACTORY WARRANTY.

Do...the dealer of my particular vehicle?? I may move half way across the country next year...does thism ean that I have to come back to the dealer I bought the car from??

Also, the payment...say the $830 for 96 Mo or 100k. Is this a one time payment of $62.25 a month...or is it $830 every year??
  • sw_ohsw_oh Member Posts: 23
    I purchased my Ody EXL on June 30th and I am now debating whether to buy an extended Care Warranty from Honda. The best prices I have seen has been from Bernardi Honda and Saccuri Honda in regard to their respective web sites. Are those two dealerships offering the best internet prices or is there something else out there I have missed?

This is my first Honda vehichle purchase and I am leaning toward buying the extended warranty because of my previous GM ownership experiences. But again, this is a Honda. Nevertheles, I am curious about Honda Care warranty prices and the fact it is good at any dealership across America.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    You do not have to go to your selling dealer for Warranty work-your nearest (or favorite) dealer is OK. The section you are reading is talking about Warranty repairs, as opposed to Service Contract repairs. There is a difference. Your car comes with a Warranty. You buy a Service Contract, often called an 'extended warranty' to imply that it is the same as your Manufacturer's Warranty.

It's a one-time payment of $830. Think of it as them taking your money, they will dole it back out to you as you need it for repairs.
    "The section you are reading is talking about Warranty repairs, as opposed to Service Contract repairs. There is a difference."

So either way - for repairs during the factory warranty or later on an extended warranty, I can go to the nearest dealership, should I move?

I haven't got back to hondawarranty.com but do you know if you can either pay in one lump sum for the extension or monthly?
  • mdpmdp Member Posts: 5
    where did u pruchase this warranty...is it for 06 odyssey
    Yes, any Honda dealer should take care of you. Some may put you off a few days, giving preferential treatment to 'their' customers, but most dealers know that any work is good work, so you shouldn't run into that often. Be sure to tell your dealer that you're using your service contract-there are different steps to go through when dealing with a service contract versus the manufacturer's warranty.

I think the payment plan is usually used if you buy your vehicle at the same time you buy the plan. Some places might let you make payments, you'll need to check out the website.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    For a 2006 accord lx we are about to buy, the dealer here on Long Island wants to make a lot of money on Hondacare. So I went on line and found, for 0 deductible, 7 year, 80K mile contract, the following offers (plan code D78):

Curry Honda in Mass.: $ 845 (less $75 if bought tomorrow)
    Saccucci Honda in RI: $ 625
    JayHonda in OH: $ 700
    College Hills Honda(OH):$ 700

Does anyone have experience with buying online from any of them ?

Eagleeye
    I believe those Honda dealerships you mentioned are the most internet competive that I found as well, along with Pohanka Honda in Maryland and Bernardi Honda in Massachusetts. Yesterday I purchased a 6 year/80,000 mile warranty for my new odyssey. I went with Saccucci for because of their warranty price, online application processs (no faxing), and their 12 month interest free payment plan that is charged to your credit card of choice. I received a confirmation email from Saccucci that they received my online application and the paperwork process had started. As of now I feel good about my decision going with Honda Care and choosing Saccucci to purchase the warranty. I have no other experiences to share since I recently became a Honda owner for the first time and now Honda warranty purchaser.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ... Yesterday I purchased a 6 year/80,000 mile warranty for my new odyssey. I went with Saccucci for because of their warranty price,

.....purchased 6year/80k/100deduct for $584. Ray Laks Honda somewhat in upstate Nueva York. (Hondacuraworld.com)

...AV6 6M

...ez
  • jayadjayad Member Posts: 2
    My one month old odyssey is hit by a driver with no insurance and suspended drivers license.It has got 1800 miles on it. It is my dream van and I paid 30000$ for it. It is all karma. I was thinking about buying an extended warranty but I never got around to do it. Can I do it now? The damage to the car is not bad. Lots of scrach and bends.

Can I get extended warranty now? Will I get one? Any issues?

Thanks for the help,

Jaya
  • ericbaltimoreericbaltimore Member Posts: 4
    may I know how much you pay for that EW? Thanks
    I saw the price on the website is $655 for 6 year/8k mile EW. is there any special? thanks
    I was interested in the 6 year/80,000 mile warranty with 0 deductable. Saccucci Honda price was $710 with a $25 gift certificate to their Parts department. They agreed to just apply that to the price of the warranty since I was not interested in the GC.

Bernardi Honda agreed to lower their price by $25 as well since they did not offer a gift certificate in their warranty package. So their price would have been $684.

I decided to go with Saccucci because of the 12 month interest free payment plan and online application. Hope this information is helpful.
    So to answer your question more quickly, I paid $685 from Saccucci Honda for the 6yr/80k/0 deduct warranty
  • accord2006accord2006 Member Posts: 7
    We bought our car last week '06accord se below invoice price.I didnt notice that my husband bought hondacare extended warranty from this finance guy for $1495 without consulting me(I was outside during that time because I thought dealing with them/salespersons were done, after agreeing the OTD price quote).

When I read our balance on the contract he told me that Finance offered him $1900 for it first and because they lowered the price for more than $400 off he signed up for EW, and guy told him he could cancel it within 60day period.

After getting EW he was told that they(dealership) would lower our APR by .24% less because he purchased EW from them.

Now my husband called them to cancel the EW but the finance guy said he gave him a discounted .24% APR finance from the bank for 5 yrs.My husband said its okey if you take off the discount .24% and go back to the original APR. we know its only a $110 difference to our loan amt.

The finance guy said they cant change the APR anymore and he did that in good faith.We want to cancel it but how?The guy even told my husband that we got our car and save thousands of dollars and below invoice price which is true but is that our fault?and finance guy told him to think about it first and dont believe whatever we have read that theres cheaper thant that.It seems like if we cancelled this we look like bad guys here?because of that APR discount.

Im planning to just pay the whole balance.I believe I can get my cancellation form from hondacare customer sevice? and I dont have to go and see this dealers again?Am I thinking right?

If I dont pay the total balance, is it true that I have to go to the dealer and asked them to cancel it?We called them twice to cancel it and all they say is think about it..and giving us this whole stories/situation about APR thing.

So guys what do you think?Thanks in advance!Anything advice, opinions etc vey much appreciated! :blush:

EW from collegehisshonda is only $700 and we paid $1495.
  • day54day54 Member Posts: 3
    We went today to put a deposit down on an Odyssey EX-L with NAV and RES. The salesperson told us about an extended warranty program - 7 years/75k for $1,295. One reason we are buying a Honda is for their reliabilty. We are just wondering why should we buy an extended warranty. Can someone tell us?
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    I have asked the sales person this very question everytime I bought a Honda. I told them that I can safe $10,000.-- buying a GM or Ford and buy the EW; - but I want a good car that lasts, and that is why I buy Hondas without EWs.

Hello I just wanted to tell everyone that HONDA really backs up their product.
    I just had the trans replaced a power door-lock (slider driver) and replaced the ignition interlock on a van that is OVER 7 years old and has almost 80,000 miles on the odo. No hassle, no BS just yes sir we will repair this under Honda's warranty service. I never bought an extended warranty either. I will drive nothing but Hondas from now on and I will most likely buy them at Norm Reeves in Cerritos SoCal!!!!

Sidenote, - I had a lincoln continental, blew the trans at 72K, the motor at 75K and the suspension at 80Kmls. Ford told me to go fly a kite every time! Guess what? -- I dissuaded at least three peoples from buying a ford product, but have swayed at least six peoples to buy Hondas. I have three Hondas: a '91 Accord, a '99 Odyssey, and an '05 CR-V...
    And I really want to add an Element to the list... :-)
  • xfilez76xfilez76 Member Posts: 3
    I know this is off topic but, can someone tell me, or guide me to the right forum, as to what is the maintenance scheudle for a 2006 Honda civic?

Thank you much!!!!
    d
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This will tell you: Maintenance Schedule

tidester, host
    Thanks for sharing. I will go with them because of the 12 months no interest deal. :)
    Oh, let me mention that they will charge a $25 documentation fee for the 12 month payment plan. No doc fee if you pay it all at once. But if you are not interested in the gift certificate the price comes out the same since they waived the $25 GC.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    I think the EWs are nothing but a hoax and sucker game. I too bought my three HONDAs because they run well AND last many years. I too asked them when they 'offered' EWs if I really needed them, and that I could buy a gm or f.. product for $1000s less and then get the EW and cover their deficiencies. That pretty much shut them up... I just had my 7+ year old '99 Ody at Norm Reeves HONDA in Cerritos CA, and I pointed out to them that my shift interlock, a power door latch motor were broken and the transmission was shifting hard. Norm Reeves HONDA replaced the trans and repaired the inter shift lock and the power door latch under HONDA warranty with NO (zero) cost to me. HONDA AND the dealer are really backing up their reputation and their products. The total repair cost would have approached $6000.-- and Honda just accepted it without me having to do a 'rain dance'... A few years ago I had a lincoln continental, blew the trans at 72K, the motor at 75K, and the computer controlled air ride suspension at 80K. ford told me to go fly a kite... I will NEVER consider ANY ford related product EVER again!!! And if I can dissuade anyone from buying a ford I will do that too!!! All my HONDAs are a joy to own and drive, I smile every time I turn the key!!! They Work!!
    When my in-laws suffered with a mercury sable I made them park at the curb, now they own an '06 Accord EX and are welcommed to park up in my driveway along with my three HONDAs, a '91Accord, a '99 Ody, and an '05 CR-V. Car live is bliss! :-)
  • mahirimahiri Member Posts: 26
    I just bought a Civil Si and the dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty with the following specs:

1. 6 years or 100,000 miles
    2. Fully covered including paint and interior fabric
    3. Exterior and Interior treatment
    4. Lo-Jack and Upgraded Alarm (goes off if you break a window)

I may be slighly off on some of the specs, but this is the basic package. The cost was about $50 a month for 66 months.

I am also considering singing up for MBI insurance with Geico which is only $5 a month and appears to be the equivalent of a bumper to bumper warrant for 7 years or 100,000 miles. The catch here is that Geico is about $50 bucks more a month than Amica, an insurance company that I will switch to if I don't get MBI.

Is there any reason to go with the dealer warranty package?
    2. Fully covered including paint and interior fabric
    What is the name of the service contract company? I've not seen any that cover paint or upholstery. Is this a 'paint and fabric protection' plan, or a complete service contract?

MBI= mechanical breakdown insurance-it's a far cry from a bumper to bumper warranty.

Read the contracts completely and compare-don't skim the brochures and make a decision. There's a reason Geico is so cheap.

One other thing, rarely mentioned, is: make sure the time/mileage limits fit your driving style. I don't drive 30k miles in 6 years, so a 6/100 plan would be excessive. If you drive 30k in one year, the 6/100 expires in just over 3 years.

read the fine print. read the fine print. read the fine print read the fine print.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    That is $3300 for a "warranty" shop around and get a HONDA backed warranty for less than $1k.