Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• drdan4cdrdan4c Member Posts: 2
    Aw c'mon, get real. Are you really asking that every seller of every product from all companies, including your own, be at exactly the same price? Captitalism is based on competitiveness. You CAN get a competitively priced warranty from a Honda dealer after the fact. Shop - study - inquire. You will succeed.
  • robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    Referring to msg #112,I was not aware that Honda had such a variety of "CARE PLANS".

I was not offered a choice to pick from one of many.......it was presented as if it were the one and only being offered. I spent my time concentrating on the price of the van and trusted that the care plan was a standard offering. That was my mistake and my message was to inform others so they did not do as I did.
  • mehulj72mehulj72 Member Posts: 30
    Hello All,

I've recently closed deal on Odyssey EX 2003 model. Should I purchase extended warranty from my dealer ? He is offering 7yr/100,000 miles for 1400 USD. Is this good price ? Is there any good Third party insurance which are better then Honda's extended warranty.
    My goal is to own car for long time hence I want maximum coverage. I want to know if I purchase extended warranty after 6 months and at that time suppose I've 10,000 miles on my car, then how 7yrs/100,000 miles plan will work. Will it be valid till 110,000 miles or it will expire as soon as my odometer reaches 100,000 mile ?

Also I want to know from where I can get GAP Insurance and Lo-jack (and what is best price for this plans / device).

thanks

MJ
  • tylerapextylerapex Member Posts: 14
    I just put a deposit on an '03 Odyssey and my dealer offered $1299 for the 7yr/100K/0 deductible HondaCare extended warranty. According to the Odyssey Club forums, there's a dealer in Maryland selling them for $900, but I haven't heard back from them yet to see if it is true. I'll keep you posted.
  • robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    Check prevous Posts #16 #7 #6 #2 on this Board for good info as to various costs.

The plans are as negotiable as MSRP.
  • mehulj72mehulj72 Member Posts: 30
    Hello All,

I want to know from where I can get online quote for Honda Care warranty ? I want to show it to my dealer so that I can get some good price from her. After seeing this forum it seems it is ridiculous to pay anything more then 900 USD for Honda care 7yr/100K/0 deduct plan. I've already taken plan for 1400 USD and will like to get difference back from my dealer. As per my dealer I've 60 days to review plan and if I do not like it I can cancel it. If my dealer will not agree to 900 USD price then I'll cancel my plan. One more thing I want to know, If I wait till 20K miles on my Van and after that I buy 7yr/100K plan then how will it work ? Will it expire at 120K miles or it will expire at 100K miles ?

thanks

MJ
  • jminorjminor Member Posts: 13
    Do an internet search for Honda Odyssey Club and you will find a good set of forums. Look for the one called Warranty Talk and you can find out who to email for your quote. Last I knew the prices were as follows:

7 yr / 100k - $900
    7 yr / 75k - $675
    6 yr / 100k - $765
    6 yr / 75k - $630
    5 yr / 100k - $665
    5 yr / 75k - $575
    5 yr / 60k - $485
    4 yr / 60k - $425
  • tylerapextylerapex Member Posts: 14
    I still have not heard back from the person that was offering the $900 7yr/100K warranty, but I got an online quote from www.hondawarranty.com for $1045 (it is associated with a dealer in Massachusetts I believe).

I'll keep you posted on anything else I hear.
  • jminorjminor Member Posts: 13
    The dealer that has the 7/100K warranty for $900 is Pohanka Honda in D.C. Maybe a call or email directly to the dealership will help.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    6 year/100K for $930. Now this dealer (on-line) charged more because I was about to go out of initial warranty. This sounds strange but his price was much better than what local dealers have been quoting so I took it.

The dealer in town wanted $1,800 for the same thing! When I called to negotiate they wouldn't even return a call. I was surprised at that. Lots of profit to be made there. If he'd have come close I would have taken it.

The dealer I got it from is in Laffayette, Louisiana. I'm in New Jersey! Has both the selling dealer and the price on the warranty cards!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • pdm54pdm54 Member Posts: 1
    Who sells extended warranties for 2000 or 2001 Odys with more than 36K miles? Planning on purchasing used Ody EX and I need protection for $15-20K investment with 70-80,000 miles. I don't think Honda Care is an option. Would like to hear from anyone with experience in this situation.
  • jratcliffejratcliffe Member Posts: 233
    You want to buy a warranty for a car with 75k miles? Ouch. Even if you could find one, it would be really pricy, and only cover you to 100k miles. Tt sounds like you drive a lot (to be at 75k miles in three years), so I'd take the money you'd pay for the warranty, put it in a savings account, and pay for any repairs out of that.
  • lfbennylfbenny Member Posts: 5
    We purchased an '03 ODY in July, have less than 1k miles on it. We are going to purchase the 100k/7yr extended warranty. My question is how long after purchase date do we have to buy the warranty? Does it matter how many miles we have on it? Can we wait a month or so? Thanks.
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    The way Honda warranty works is that it is from the date you purchased the car. So it doesn't matter when you but the warranty, it is when you bought the car that classifies it as 1 year or 2nd year. We purchased our car in March, we are waiting for Nov to buy our warranty, why, just because. :)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You can purchase an extended warranty fromHonda anytime before the manufacturer warranty ends (3 yrs/36k). Before you puchase a warranty from Honda, check out the Honda Odyssey board here on Edmunds. Many of the members who participate on that board bought their geunine Honda warranty over the internet ranging from $750-$1100 depending on the coverage.
  • lfbennylfbenny Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I have the application for the warranty and will just hold it a few months. I am going with Pohanka in MD, $900. Thanks again, now maybe my wife will believe me! (she thought we had to buy before 1000 miles)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    The re-debut of this discussion starts now!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    The whole point of purchasing a Honda over another vehicle (i.e. Ford) is the perception of higher quality. If you have to pay for an extended warranty, then the higher quality is just that, a perception.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

I do not necessarily believe in Extended warranties but with some of the high-tech electronics, it does add some peace of mind. Paying > $1,000 for one seems ludicrous though as apparently there are some real deals on these things reading back a few posts in this thread.

With the above, does the Honda purchased extended warranty plans cover items like heated seats, head units, keyless entry FOB’s, and Navigation units?

Kirstie, why was this forum unavailable for the last year and a half?

Neat forum if I do say so myself.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    then Honda's extended warranty would cost just as much as everyone elses.. Instead, it is one of the cheapest you can get...

If warranties had no value at all, then Honda would offer a free 7yr/100K warranty with every car, because it would effectively have no cost for them.

Warranties are insurance.. Some people need it, some people don't.. Some are just more comfortable with it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "The whole point of purchasing a Honda over another vehicle (i.e. Ford) is the perception of higher quality. If you have to pay for an extended warranty, then the higher quality is just that, a perception."

And to that I say: It depends. When I buy a boombox at Best Buy, I don't buy an extended warranty. Boomboxes, while they can be several hundred dollars, are relatively inexpensive, don't have that many moving parts and are generally a well-tested technology. BUT ... if I buy a plasma TV for $10K, I might well also get an extended warranty. That's a significant investment, in a new technology, and I want to be sure the investment lasts (this is assuming the warranty is something reasonable, like $299, and not $2k).

Same with cars. A 2005 Honda Accord? No warranty. A 2005 Honda Ody? Probably a warranty, what with the two power doors, NAVI, DVD, etc.
    Lack of interest! Discussions auto-archive themselves after 45 days of inactivity.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Well, I do believe that many brands have become more reliable, and have caught up to some others than have slipped in the last few years. But as this gap has narrowed, people are buying more extended warranties than ever. I believe it's because many owners choose vehicles they can afford to buy, but can't afford to repair. As more sophisticated cars we demand have more expensive parts to malfunction, EW's are becoming a necessity for many buyers-- as well as dealerships. Volvo includes an EW with every certified used car sale because of its mediocre reliability ratings combined with notoriously high parts and labor costs.
    Hi All:

A type of bump … Does the Honda purchased extended warranty plans cover items like heated seats, head units, keyless entry HW, Auto climate controls, sunroofs, RES and Navigation units or is it just the mechanicals? I can trust a Honda’s mechanicals for well into the 100,000 + mile mark as I do with my current Honda and Acura but the electrical features and amenities are another story altogether.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne R. Gerdes
    You can read the coverages and exclusions on this website: http://curryhondacare.com/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi Kyfdx:

Thank you.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    Hi Kyfdx:

It appears like basically everything but the following:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED by Honda Care

Parts other than genuine HONDA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades, battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; belts; hoses; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance: exhaust system, catalytic converter; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads; clutch disc, pressure plate; throw out bearing, external shift linkages; glass, mirror glass, body parts; body structure, panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint; bumpers; moldings; lenses; bulbs (except for dashboard bulbs); sealed beams; fuses; weather-strips (except for window run channels); outside ornamentation; wheel covers/ornaments; rims: studs; fastening/securing hardware; body seals; squeaks, rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; window handles; knobs; rearview mirror; trim; upholstery; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES; tires; seat belts; airbag(s), and the Safety Restraint System (except for the SRS control unit and cable reel.)

$800 for a 5 year/100,000 mile - $0 deductible doesn’t seem as bad as I first thought. Another quick question … If you don’t use it, is there a refund of any sort after the 100,000 miles or whichever you chose is up?

Thanks again.

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    It is just my opinion but I believe that the extended warranty prices fit nicely into the prices paid for the ody discussion. I don't like to go to two discussion when this subject may be an integral part of the initial purchase. I wish you would consider not blackballing this issue on that discussion site.

thanks

rockycow
    I think exclusions can be summed up...

1) Body

2) Interior/trim

3) Exhaust

4) Clutch (for manual transmission)

5) Any routine maintenance

It is a pretty comprehensive warranty... And, Honda has good reason to stand behind it.. No third party insurance company to contest every repair bill..

The last time I checked..Warranting a CR-V within the last year of the existing warranty was about $1000 for the 7yr/100K with zero deductible.. Not sure about a refund if unused, although I think there is some sort of pro-rated refund, if you trade it in before it expires.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I agree. But the hosts thought otherwise. And you're correct: It's just OUR opinion (apparently, just you and I).
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    … If you don’t use it, is there a refund of any sort after the 100,000 miles or whichever you chose is up?

Toyota allegedly gives a rebate if your vehicle requires no servicing. I would like to see an independent audit of the number of people actually getting their money back (and what percentage) from unused extended warranties. There is always an "$800 sensor" that can go anytime during one of your routine services before the extended warranty expires.
    it's not "blackballing," don't be silly. Hyperbole gets you nowhere. If you look at the "prices paid" discussion board, you'll see that the discussions are uniform, and designed specifically for discussing the price of a vehicle - Not whether and extended warranty is worth it or not.

A vast majority of our members browse by vehicle type rather than by message board, so if they're looking for Honda Odyssey info, this discussion will come up on their list.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I think since most people who are smart enough to find these boards also know the general rule of "don't buy an extended warranty from the dealer when you buy your car," having a separate thread for EW's works. When I started my van research back in November, I looked in both "prices paid" and EW threads.

Now that I think about it, has anyone who bought an Ody in the past year received a very good deal on an EW at the same time? We bought ours separately from a dealer in Md ... $795 for 7 years/75,000 miles. The best our dealer could do was $1,100, and it was a third-party warranty to boot.
  • kengarookengaroo Member Posts: 25
    denver5357

I am looking into buying a 7 year/75,000 mile warranty too. Can you let me know which dealer you purchased it from?
    Pohanka Honda in Salisbury, Md. It was $795. Received the packet from America Honda yesterday and appear good to go.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    The Honda 7 year 100,000 mile "O" deductable warranty is very reasonable in cost. We have the warranty on both the 2003 Accord and the 2004 Civic. One major repair, (starter, alternator, AC compressor), would almost pay for the cost of the warranty. If the vehicle should suffer from a transmission issue, (after the original 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty), you are "Home Free" in terms of cost! I feel that within 100,000 miles, I will at least, replace a component, that will give me my money back on the warranty. The warranty cost was less than $1,000.00 dollars at the time of the vehicle purchase. ($875.00 for the Accord & $975.00 for the Civic). While I think that Honda makes "quality vehicles" compared to the competition, I DO NOT think that they are trouble free! Just look at the V6 transmission issue. Honda should be ashamed and embarrassed about their performance with regards to this issue. The lack of "quality" is very evident! I don't believe is "self insurance" when it comes to mechanical malfunctions of the modern automobile, because the components ar VERY expensive. A transmission today can cost from $3,000 to $6,000 doallars. I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money on a vehicle with 80,000 miles on the clock.
    denver5357,

Did you talk to a someone at Pohanka Honda or was everything done through e-mail? Can you e-mail me the person's name or e-mail address that you dealt with? I have made my e-mail address public.
    Just sent you a response.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Re: the refund for unused warranty at trade in: I traded my '03 Accord and was rebated back about $530.00 of the original $850.00 I paid for the extended waaranty. No hassle, no problem, and rec'd the check from Honda Care in about 2 weeks. You do have to go back to the original dealer to do the paperwork, however.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I did a while back, when I bougth my first new car, 1999 Honda Civic, I bought extended warranty through a guy on ebay. He was a finance guy at a dealership in VT. The price was good. 2 years later, I traded the car in, called the guy up. We set up the paperwork and I got most of my money back.

However, you only get the money back if you sell the car. You don't get the money back after the warranty period expired and you have not made any claims. They would not be in business if that were true.

Honda care is also transferrable, once. I think it costs about $50 to transfer. So, if you are selling privatley, you can include that as incentive.

I have my own view on extended warranty and Honda. I am buying Honda on a faith that it is a well engineered and well put together vehicle. The Honda name is the insurance policy. If I am going to rely on extended warranty, might as well save my money and buy a Chevy or Hyundai. They come with free 5 year/60,000 or 10 year/100,000. What is the point of buying Honda and then buying extended warranty to have "peace of mind." You are buying a product that you have faith in, this should be your peace of mind.

If Honda screws up, they should stand by their product. All of the V6 tranny issues are covered by Honda to 10 years/100,000 miles. So, why buy another warranty?

I have had issues with my UK built Civic. I called Honda and they offered free lifetime warranty on the components I have been having issues with. Luckily the components never failed again after the initial failure.
    Denver5357,

Did you have to haggle to get the price they quoted you or was it lay out up front? I am going to give them a call, but I want to know what to expect before I do that. Also is your warranty $0 deductable?
    Yep, $0 deductible. I didn't haggle. The price was so much lower than anyone else, it was OK with me. I have heard recently that the price may now be even a little lower (like $30 or so), though I can't confirm that.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    blueiedgod writes <If I am going to rely on extended warranty, might as well save my money and buy a Chevy or Hyundai. They come with free 5 year/60,000 or 10 year/100,000.>

The Chevrolet 5/60 warranty is only for the Aveo, and is a Powertrain service contract (GMPP). Hyundai's 10/100 is also powertrain only.

Bumper to Bumper warranty for Chevy is still 3/36, and Hyundai B2B is 5/60.

Bumper to Bumper and Powertrain warranties are two waaaaay different things.
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    ...purchased for $780 from Muller Honda in Highland Park, IL.

-D
    Dep,

Can you e-mail the name of the person who you dealt with at Muller Honda? Was the transaction done by phone or e-mail? I am interested in getting the same warranty.
  • nkk219nkk219 Member Posts: 8
    denver5357/kengaroo,

Can you please send the name/email address of the person you talked to at Pohanka. I am also looking for same and quoted much higher price at the dealer. Would appreciate your input. Thank you.
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    Ok, I am not sure how to get your email address from Edmunds but I would be glad to send you the name of the person if you can figure out how to get me your email :)

Keep in mind that I was buying this as part of a new car purchase so I don't know if they would be interested in selling one at that price on its own.

If you just want to buy the Honda Care plan I would go to curryhondacare.com They sell online at very low prices. Had the dealer not given in at the last min. I would have just purchased from them.
    Actually, I had been looking at Curry Honda, but the lady at Pohanka beat even their prices, and I bought the EW separately.
    Dep,

If you are signed in, just click on my name on the subject line. It will display my e-mail address.
    I just purchased the warranty from Sam Swope Honda World for $765. I was originally quoted $845, but I told the Finance Manager that I could get it for $795 at Pohanka Honda and she automatically dropped the price to $765.