Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

tpilschtpilsch Member Posts: 1
I'm curious what others are getting in gas mileage. On my 2002 I am averaging only 17mpg overall (70% local 30% highway) and am very disappointed.

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi tpilsch. I think that you will have much better luck getting responses to your Honda Odyssey gas mileage question in some of the Odyssey specific discussions over on the Vans Message Board.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards

• banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    dealer quoted me 1800 with 50 deductable for the warranty thought that was high unless you need it for the transmission some people were saying that easily is over 3 grand.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Can anyone tell me more about Honda Care? What is covered and what is not? Do they offer loaner car? What would be the best cost if I want one? from dealership?
  • djtornowdjtornow Member Posts: 1
    Here is a good reference for getting the price down on Warranty.

http://www.hondawarranty.com/

I received a quote of $1081 for 7yr/100k warranty and then an e-mail for -$75 off if purchased in 2weeks.

I'll let you know what happened w/ my dealer.
  • wardmwardm Member Posts: 23
    Eric Stroderd (estroderd@mossisboss.com) at Moss Honda (www.mossisboss.com) is going to sell me the 7 year, 70,000 mile, $0 deductable Honda Care warranty for $850. I found out about him on another post.
  • joeboojoeboo Member Posts: 3
    wardm, great!

i think it's a no brainer for people who are looking to get an extended warranty!

joe
  • live2worklive2work Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know how the Honda warrantee compare to third parties. I imagine that there must be some good third party warrantees out there. The dealer from whom I bought the care did not even push the Honda auto care, but they were trying to sell me a third party warrantee.
  • hmthomashmthomas Member Posts: 2
    I found the following faq infromation from this link:

http://www.ebicom.net/~dhyams/odyssey.html

I hope it can help in dealing with Honda Care...

Warranties:

Do I have to buy the HondaCare extended warranty at the dealership at which the van was purchased?

No, the extended warranty may be purchased from any Honda dealership.

How long do I have to buy the HondaCare extended warranty?

You can purchase the HondaCare extended warranty at any time until your original factory warranty expires (3 years, 36,000 miles).

What is "invoice price" for the HondaCare extended warranty?

It is rumored that the HondaCare 7yr/100,000/0 deductible warranty costs the dealership $735. Several dealerships around the United States are willing to sell this warranty for $835

• kenmitchkenmitch Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,
    I will be picking up my ody this afternoon and was asked about the extended warranty. I asked him the price and he quoted $1350 and said that was a $50 dollar savings over the "regular" price. When I informed him of the $850 7yr/100k/$0
    Honda care quote from Eric Stroderd at Moss Honda, he said the warranty was not the same? Is there different levels of this warranty?

Thanks to all
    These discussion boards help to make informed decisions!!!!

Ken
  • rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    There are lots of different extended warranty plans. The one quoted at $850 is for 7 years or 70,000 miles, not 100,000 miles.
    I e-mailed Eric at Moss and asked what his price for the Honda Care 7/100/0 was. His response was $850. When my Black EXL-RES comes in to my dealer in the Washington, D.C. metro area sometime mid to late Oct, I'll be purchasing the Honda Care from Eric. If it is not Honda Care 7/100/0 as discussed in e-mails with him, then I'll request my money back.
  • rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    I was merely restating for kenmitch what you had said in your post (#7). You said 7 year, 70,000 miles. If you get 100,000 miles that's great!
    You're right. I did have 7/70 in an earlier post. Sorry to all for the typo but it is 7/100/0 that I was quoted on.

Here are the prices from Eric on the various Honda Care warranties. He posted them and they got yanked. Not sure why as the whole point of Edmunds, even before they went on-line, was to educate consumers and help them get the lowest price. Oh well. Go figure.

Honda Care :
    $850.00
    7yr/100k mile warranty with $0 deductible

$630.00
    7yr/75k mile warranty with $0 deductible

$720.00
    6yr/100K mile warranty with $0 deductible

$585.00
    6yr/75k mile warranty with $0 deductible

His e-mail is in an earlier post so I will not repost (don't want this post to get get yanked by the powers that be too). If you need it, e-mail me at wardm5653@yahoo.com and I will be happy to forward his contact info.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I have never purchased the Honda Care for my Accord. I know you can buy this for non-Honda vehicles which less than 4 years old in some dealers. Isn't it true? Is it up to the dealer to charge the customers or there is a guideline for it? Something MSRP for automobiles. I found this 7/70000 is being charged from $850 to over $1000 in various dealers. It's too bad that Honda is not include its Odys like the latest Chrsyler's promotion for their Jeeps, cars, minivan and many.
  • cindilcindil Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the information. When I went in to negoitate on the ody I told them that I could get this warranty for $850. The dealerships (I was looking at 2 in St. Louis, MO) both agreed to honor, just an FYI.
  • l5tcl5tc Member Posts: 14
    I'm about the sell my Odyssey for and get a Pilot and this time I want the care.

Did anyone check if with Honda USA if Eric is legit with them? I'm being a little paranoid but better that than sorry.

thanks
    I doubt very seriously if a Honda Dealer would not be selling legitimate Honda Care warranties, particularly if they state that it is Honda Care. Are you paranoid when you buy all mail order and on-line items? If so, most credit cards protect you against fraud these days.
    I wasn't aware that he was a dealer. Just his e-mail and name was posted. I sent him an e-mail but it was Friday so I guess I'll hear back monday.
    Yep. An earlier post of mine (#7) listed the dealer he works at as being Moss Honda (www.mossisboss.com). Technically, they sell Honda's, Mercedes, and BMW's in Lafayette, Louisiana. Hope it works out for you. My Ody is due in between 10/15 and 11/15 (black EXL-RES). Once it's in and I have a VIN, I'm going to purchase the 7/100/0 from him.
    That's where I'm going. I think it' so much less than my dealer that they won't bother to match it. And I don't like to haggle.
    Hi everyone. You may want to use the aforementioned Web site to get price quotes on the sort of warranty coverage that you want, print the prices out, and run them past your local Honda dealer. By purchasing this sort of policy at the dealership that you will have your service work done at you will be able to maintain a good relationship with them. Furthermore, you will be able to avoid the hassle of having to complete this transaction via the mail. Just a thought...

Car_man
    Host
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Just got my paperwork from Eric...for $850. Haven't gone through it in detail, but everything looks as adverstised.

Thanks Board for the Help!
  • gunturguntur Member Posts: 19
    Can you recommend an after market warranty product based on your experience with obtaining service ? How do you compare Honda Care vs Warranty Direct, 1Soure, Warranty Gold etc......I need to get one for my 2000 Odyssey.
  • leonardmpleonardmp Member Posts: 14
    Hello all, might be a dumb question, but if I have a 2003 Ody 3/30k factory warranty and I purchase a 7/70k, does that give me a total of 10/100k warranty coverage for my Ody?

Thank you.
  • mrrubinmrrubin Member Posts: 4
    Nope, but that is how they get you. You get a free or shall I say included 3yr/36K warranty. SO when you pay for the 7/100 it is only doing an increase of 4/64K. I did get the 7/100/0 ended up paying $988; I think I did have quotes locally for maybe $50 less, however they were throwing in matts/or guards. Still wish I would have called this guy Eric in these postings and told them to screw on that.

Since it was a 2000 and I had ordered at two dealerships and was waiting 4+ months, I was just happy to get vehicle thae way I wanted it. In the past and in the future I will go back to buying car on lot and negotiate down.
  • leonardmpleonardmp Member Posts: 14
  • bcpagebcpage Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up 2003 EX (midnight blue pearl) and bought the HondaCare for $985. They initially quoted me $1,360 but I mentioned that prices being quoted online were as low as $850. Probably should have stuck to my guns, but $985 seemed reasonable to me.
  • disportdisport Member Posts: 10
    Under Honda Care Extended Warranty, are the power sliding doors covered? After looking at the Honda Care brochure I'm not really sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • bcpagebcpage Member Posts: 9
    According to my dealer, the power sliding doors are covered by HondaCare.
  • disportdisport Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info. I'm a little worried about the doors and just wanted to make sure they are covered.

disport
  • odiemuttodiemutt Member Posts: 15
    Just got an '03 Accord LX 4 cyl. Thinking of the extended hondacare warranty. Would be about $800 for 6yr/100K $0 deductable.

I notice it comes with free oil change (up to $25) per the maint schedule which for this car is every 10K miles. Thus I figure I save $25 * 9 = $225 in oil changes. Bringing cost of warranty to $575. Sounds like something to consider. I bet you'd recove the $575 if you see the car privately while still under warranty.

Thoughts?
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    Honda is also doing something new w/ their warranty. If you don't use it , and your extended warranty expires, they give you your money back...

Sounds to me like a great ploy to get people to keep their cars longer... =o) Of course, using Hondacare can be as easy as getting a loaner when you take your car into the shop (even if still under original warranty)

Overall, sounds like a great deal, though... "We all buy insurance hoping that we will never use it, but are glad we have it when we need it"....
    I just realized that the CD player is not working........it is not pulling in the CD as it is supposed to. In the past 3 years I probably used the CD player about 3 or 4 times and the last time was several months ago. Today I discovered the problem.....does Hondacare cover this problem ? I bought the 7 yr/75,000 coverage through Eric Strodered and thanks to folks on this forum who recommended him. I got an excellent price. Thanks in advance for your answer!
    Hi guntur. According to the HondaCare section of American Honda's Web site, this sort of policy covers "Factory or Dealer-installed Audio, Cellular Phone, Security and Navigational Systems." So it certainly sounds as though your CD player would be covered by your policy as long as it has not been abused, and it certainly does not sound as though that is the case. Check with the dealership that you usually have your van services at to find out for certain. I'd love to hear whether they will cover this repair or not, so please come back and let us know. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • nj_ody_buyernj_ody_buyer Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I just bought EX-L (see in other section for details)
    Which is good warranty to buy?
    Honda Care (for $ 850 from Eric)
    or
    Warrnaty Direct (for $ 950)
    they say that they ALSO cover wear and tear that Honda care DOES NOT cover?
    Thanks
  • tastetaste Member Posts: 37
    Hello All:

Just wanted to thank everyone on their postings as it saved me ~$700.00 over their initial quote.

I would also like to toot the horn of OHare Honda as I had already signed off on the 7/75K Warranty for $1,550 and then I came to this board. Once I showed them the quote they came down to $850...and this was AFTER we had signed all of our papers. Quite frankly I was happily surprised. I am not an attorney however once you have signed the contract usually your options are limited. OHare Honda however did the right thing, tore up the old HondaCare agreement and Financing and we just went in and gave our signatures to a new agreement. Very nice and I have had a very good experience with them. It is my expectation that Dealers will and should try to maximize their profit (as long as it is not done unethically) but when presented with the numbers the good ones will negotiate in good faith and take of customers like me (even after a deal was signed). I know they have earned my business when I look to purchase a Pilot in June...(as long as nothing changes ;-)
  • golferraygolferray Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Eric Strodered is still involved with Extended Warranties at the dealer in La.? I sent him a message at the E-Mail address provided in an earlier post some time back and it was returned? Thanks
    Thanks to Car Man for the info on coverage which I later confirmed at Honda website. Yesterday I finally got the CD player replaced and thanks to the zero deductible I didn't have to pay anything. From this exercise I learnt that Honda Care doesn't pay for 'new' equipment but does for a 'refurbished' unit. Lookswise it really doesn't matter, I guess, so long this works fine. I signed paper work for about $240 dollars (I didn't have to pay)for the refurbished unit and was told a brand new one would cost $1000 if you belive the dealer. It came with 12m/12K warranty according to the local delaer and he was not sure if the replacement will be covered through Honda Care past this period. Does anyone know ? Thanks in advance for the information.
  • rbb181rbb181 Member Posts: 3
    With Hondacare if the vehicle is stolen during the warranty period, does one get prorated refund ? Raj
  • golferraygolferray Member Posts: 2
    I have just received a quote of $900. for a Honda Care Extended Warranty for 7 year/or 100K/0 deductible from a dealer in Louisiana. Anyone know of a better price anywhere?
  • hvenhven Member Posts: 1
    Hi I talked to Eric at Moss as suggested but he said that he can not sell the warranty to people in Florida. Does anyone know of someone that will sell to florida residents (at a reasonable rate) and why can in not be sold in Florida? Thanks
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    they should be able to issue you a refund. The only hard part is that they may want to know what the mileage was at the time of the theft..
  • ust5249ust5249 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience with API vs Honda Care? Which is better? Also API is offering 100% refund if no warranty service from end of original to end of extended. Does Honda care offer a similar deal?
  • canesfan4evercanesfan4ever Member Posts: 4
    One dealer quoted me for a 2003 EX $25,663 plus a FREE 5 yr/100,000 Powertrain Warranty, FREE 5 yr. Roadside Assistance w/ 4 yr. FREE towing. Pluse an interest rate of 3.8 for 60 months

The other dealer for the same vehicle is offering $27,995 with FREE 7 yr/100,000 PT Warranty, 4.14 interest rate and ohhhh, Free carwashes for Life. The other dealer also offers this.

So what do you all think. I've been getting some really great quotes, but these two are offering the warranties.
  • bernardpakbernardpak Member Posts: 1
    is it worth getting a extend warranty 7/100 for $900 alot of my friends have stated that it's just not worth paying for it, because it's a honda and one will rarely use it, please help
  • azmommy2azmommy2 Member Posts: 9
    I took delivery of my 2003 Oddy Ex-L last week and intended to wait to get warranty recalling references to out-of-state offerings in the Oddy Prices Paid board earlier last year. I was a bit frazzled by the time we got to the warranty discussion and let him add it for $982. About $80 too much, but I bookmarked the Prices Paid discussion and forgot to even check these other spots as purchase time came. Due to potential sliding door problems, I thought it would be a good gamble to have coverage. Even getting regular window motors replaced in old sedans ran into money over time. Another Mom in my kids preschool got the Oddy last April. Transmission shot this October. Oddy at dealer for 30 days getting parts and repairs. Good car, but bad things can happen and dealer service ain't cheap. With 2 small boys that will grow with this car, I like the idea of having the investment protected.
  • canesfan4evercanesfan4ever Member Posts: 4
    Just received an email from a local dealer and for a 7yr/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty he quoted $775. LOVE IT!!!!! Plus he's going to give me a rate of 3.74% and an EX model for $25,600. I'm doing the happy dance.
  • odybodyodybody Member Posts: 1
    I found Warranty Gold.com to be considerably less expensive than Honda Care Warranty for any given plan and I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has had any experience with the company. The Better Business Bureau site has no problems with this company, which is based out of Austin, TX. Anyone?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi odybody

Type "warranty gold" in the search box to the left, and you will get all the current and previous discussions regarding this company.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I just paid $279 for a 10yr/100K miles Bumper to Bumper warranty from 1sourceautowarranty.com for my 2003 Odyssey EX-Leather. It covers the engine, transmission, A/C, Brakes, Radiator, Emission, and some other things.
    This is for a brand new Odyssey. If I had waited for my Odyssey to reach 3 years or 36,000 miles, the same warranty would be about $900.
    The only things it does not cover is the high-tech stuff like Navigation, DVD RES, Traction control, Airbags, Anti-lock brakes, power sliding doors.