Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• zeonstarzeonstar Member Posts: 4
    I am about to buy my first new car ever and it's probably going to be a Honda. I've been researching alot, but the idea of the Extended warranty kind of slipped my mind. I assume I wanted the Honda Branded warranty right? Can it be bought after the time of purchase or is it best to get it with the car?

Thanks for the help.
  • fairshadowfairshadow Member Posts: 24
    I tried buying extended warranty for my new 2007 accord EX. but I was told that for florida, you need to contact local dealership. is it like if you are in florida, you cannot buy extended warranty online you are kind of forced to go to local dealer and pay atleast 250 dollar more.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    That's true.. In Florida, extended warranties are considered insurance contracts and are regulated by the state.

If you live there, you can't buy it on-line.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Florida, Washington, and one other state but I can't remember which one :confuse:
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Yes, it is called HondaCare (or Honda Care) and the last time I checked Saccucci Honda and Bernardi Honda had the best online prices - but do check around in case someone has a better price. I think they both have the same price, but Saccucci gives you a $25 discount on an accessory order from their online store.

You can buy it with the cheapest price and options up until you have 6k miles on the car. You can't purchase at all once the base 36/36k warranty expires.

I would print out the online prices and tote them to the dealer when you go to buy the car. If they can't (or won't) match the prices then just order online. It is all the same thing - as long as it is HondaCare from a Honda dealer.

Dennis
  • odysseyfan1odysseyfan1 Member Posts: 33
    I am also planning to buy honda care from either Saccucci Honda and Bernardi Honda, but wanted to know from someone who had bought honda care from them, and have ever used it at their local dealers, how was service experience ? Did the dealer treat it as it was issued by them or did they give tough time ?

thanks,
    When you buy (no matter the dealer) the paperwork goes back to the HC folks and they enter the policy into the Honda service center tied to your VIN. When you show up at any Honda dealer they pull up your car by VIN and see you have a policy. I don't think the service folks can see where you purchased it or how much you paid, just the VIN, your name, and the coverage you have. Note that your name has to match or you would not be covered. If you traded your car later and forgot to cash out the policy, the new owner would not have coverage unless they (somehow) contacted you and got your permission to transfer the policy - and paid the $50 fee.

Dennis
  • mmgcrvmmgcrv Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all of the great info posted here. I read the HondaCare contract, and it seems like a LOT of items are excluded from repair. Does anyone have actual experience using the HC warranty to obtain (otherwise costly) repairs? Is the HC contract price worth it on a new CRV?

From what I'm reading, the online HC purchase is the way to go (if buying one) unless the dealer will match. I want to be sure that this extra expenditure is worth it in the long run. (And I realize you still come out ahead ... in a sense ... if you don't have to use the warranty.) Currently on the fence on the HC ... and a new CRV!
    The odds favor you not needing the HondaCare policy, otherwise they would lose money selling it to you at the price they do.

I think if you are like most folks and trade cars every few years you would not be likely to ever need it. If you keep your cars until they are wore out, then you may need it. A lot of folks buy it for the peace of mind - most of the major stuff is covered - stuff needed to keep the car running. If you sell your used cars or pass them along to a family member when done, then having a HC plan can makes it nicer.

Dennis
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I Am A New Honda owner and i am SO GLAD TO BE ONE!!!! I have been abused by Ford , Gm For yrs. And now i am the proud owner of a 07 Accord Exl isn't that wonderful hahaha just joking but on to serious matters. Well not a owner but lease and with that being said do you guys think i should buy a warranty Honda's that is for like the 2nd yr of the lease i have 3 yrs 15k i know i will not go over but i need some wiggle room so i will not be out of coverage. My bad i got going over miles mixed up with warranty i am sorry any help will be appreciated thanks.
    If you are doing a 3 year lease and plan on turning the Accord in at the end, I don't think I would bother with a HondaCare plan. The factory powertrain should cover you for the duration of the lease and you probably will not go that far past the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

For most folks it can be a tough choice, for someone who KNOWS they will be out of the car in 3yrs it seems pretty easy - don't bother with it. Stick that money in the bank and in 3 yrs time you will have more money - in case you go over on miles or (unlikely) have to pay for a repair.

Dennis
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Cool thanks Man.
  • cyrusdcyrusd Member Posts: 25
    I was to decide whether or not I should buy the $850 extended warranty 6yrs/100K. If I didn't take it, the rate for my 36-month $15,831 loan would be 8.34%. Otherwise, my rate was 6.07%. I knew the dealer got to make some profit from the pretty low OTD price ($24,981 for a 2007 EX-L V6 AT without Nav--FYI, the MSRP was $27,400 and the invoice was $25,227). Finally, I decided to favor the low APR. The deductible will be $100 unless I drop the car at their dealer (McDavid Honda @Houston). So it looked like I paid $371 the the 6yrs/100K extended warranty. How was that deal?
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    $850 extended warranty 6yrs/100K is alot just purchase the same Hondacare warranty with 0 deductabl from one of the online dealers much cheaper.
    $24,981 for a 2007 EX-L V6 AT without Nav is a bit high this time of the year unless you received ALOT of accessories with it.
    $24,981 for a 2007 EX-L V6 AT without Nav was high, wasn't it? I emailed about 8 dealers in my area (Houston), this was the lowest one I got. Other dealers couldn't sell under $25,200 (OTD). Would you show me how to purchase it with a lower price? I live in TX, where new car sales tax is 6.25%.

If you were in my situation, between 8.34% APR and 6.07% plus $850 extended warranty 6yrs/100K, what should you choose? Although it wouldn't help for me because I already bought it, I think it would help the others who are making their decision. Thank you.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    "... show me how to purchase it with a lower price..."

If you paid the amount the dealer "quoted" in his email, then you paid his asking price.

If you want to purchase at a lower price, you go IN PERSON and OFFER in writing to buy for some lower price. I'd bet you that one or more (maybe all) of those 8 dealers would have GLADLY sold to you for less than you paid.

But it's too late for you 'til next time.
    This sounds weird to me. In the Buying and Price Experience box, people recommended me to get quotes from emails. By doing that, we had a chance to look how dealers bid together.

Suppose there are two dealers in town. Dealer #1 gave me a quote $25,000. After forwarding this quote to dealer #2, it dropped to $24,900. However, the dealer #1 says that they can't beat that price when getting that quote I forwarded. I'm wondering why they let a potential customer go to dealer #2 while they actually can sell at a lower price, let say $24,850? Did you mean the dealer would be likely to sell a car at a lower price than its competitors if the customer go to the dealer and negotiate IN PERSON, rather than via emails?

In my case, I contacted all other dealers and asked them whether they could beat that quote. I gave them one week to response. You know what, two of them replied that they couldn't beat that quote. The rest kept silent. How would I explain their actions? They wanted the customer to come? No, I don't think so!

You're right. The quote was what the dealers asked me to pay. But that quote was computed based on what their competitors did.

I don't want to challenge you. But if there's a lesson, I should know and learn it. I'd appreciate if you help me. In the next three months, I will probably have a chance to purchase one more car for my family. Would you show me some tricks to win the negotiation? Thank you.
    If you were in my situation, between 8.34% APR and 6.07% plus $850 extended warranty 6yrs/100K, what should you choose

Unless your credit is bad, you should get pre-approved for a loan from your bank, credit union, or online at CapitalOne. The current 60 month new car rate online is 6.35% . You challenge the dealer to beat your pre-approved rate and if they can for a simple interest, no set up fee loan, then you go with them. If not, you use your pre-approved deal. It is AMAZING how quick the dealer's rate can drop when it is either make nothing extra off of financing or make a little.

Then you go online at places like Bernardi and Saccucci and price out the same extended warranty plan. Again (assuming you want HondaCare) you challenge the dealer to match or beat the online prices. If they can, buy from them, if not then buy online later.

If your credit is poor, then you may have little choice than to accept what the dealer can offer you - but given that they offered you a 6% rate I would guess you have good credit.

Finally, I think if some dealer tried to pull that "buy this and get a lower rate" crap-o-la on me I would tell them to stick it and walk away. I would find someone to sell me the car for a similar price w/o any of this finance trickery.

Research the prices of the cars, invoice, incentives, etc. Get your money lined up. Get your extended warranty prices lined up, if desired. Then start car shopping, then no buyer's remorse or last second decisions need to be made.

Dennis
  • din21din21 Member Posts: 3
    The lowest quote I got was $22,270 out of the door for this model in Anaheim California. Is this a good deal?

I read that Honda is having a clearance sale and that some dealers are selling the Accords for $4000 below invoice? If so should I wait till end of July?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this discussion is about warranties, I suggest you post in the Honda Accord Pricing discussion instead.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ramatoramato Member Posts: 4
    Just purchase a 2007 Honda Pilot EXL w/RES. Looking at the Honda Care Extended Warranty and wondering what the best prices people are seeing and where? Most likely looking at a 7 or 8 yr and 100 or 120k miles. I've sent a request into Bernardi based on the comments above. My local dealer where I bought the car quoted $1600 for a 8yr/100k, which seems somewhat high to me. Any help is appreciated.
    That's dealers starting prices, just show them the printed price quotes from either http://www.bernardiwarranty.com or http://www.myhondawarranty.com/,

and see if they can come close too that.

My experience was for Odyssey 07, and I was't able to get lower than $1200 for 7yr/100K, and therefore will probably buy online.
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    When comparing our online warranty stores to local dealers prices you must also remember that some states charge sales tax on the price of the warranty.

If you live in the following states your dealer must charge sales tax.

Arkansas
    Kansas
    Ohio
    Virginia
    Connecticut
    Louisiana
    Pennsylvania
    Washington, D.C.
    Florida
    Nebraska
    South Dakota
    West Virginia
    Hawaii
    New Jersey
    Tennessee
    Wisconsin
    Iowa
    New York
    Utah

Gardiner
    MyHondaWarranty.com
  • smackldogsmackldog Member Posts: 82
    By "dealer", are you refering to the local selling dealer in the state that I reside in, or the "dealer" that sells the warranty regardless whether I buy the warranty online or locally? For example: if I live in Virginia and I purchase the warranty online, do I still pay the sales tax?

Regards,
    David
  • ramatoramato Member Posts: 4
    Odysseyfan1 thanks for the info. I doubt they will come down much as they started at $1650 and said the best they could do is $1600. However I hadn't done the research yet and fortunately told them I'd think about it. Seems like Bernardi and Saccucci are setting the bar as they have the exact same pricing - I'm guessing you won't find it cheaper elsewhere. Now I just need to figure out which terms I want. Thanks again.
    In my case, he started from $1950 (for 7y/100K) and $1650 (for 6y/100K), first I listened to all of his sales pitch and let him complete (for almost couple of mins), and then I took out printed online quotes, and he just got stunned, and said he needs to talk to his manager, came back in few mins, and said the least we can do is $500 less for each of the above initial quotes (from them), and that's all. At that point, I have no other way to leave, and that's what I did.
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    By dealer I mean local selling dealer. If you buy your warranty online you will not be charged sales tax.

Gardiner
    MyHondaWarranty.com
  • rcegglrceggl Member Posts: 31
    Careful here. If $500 is the least he can do, find out what the most is????
  • lieutlieut Member Posts: 11
    I just checked your prices. We just purchased a 2007 exl 4 cylinder. he gave us a price of $725.00 for 5yr 60000. your prices are going to knock his socks off when we show him them. We are picking the car up thurs night. I he just shakes his head I will be purchasing it from you.
    I live in Pa and priced it out on your page.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Why would you buy a warranty on a car that runs forever and never breaks down? Is there something about the Honda legend that you'd like to tell us about?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• vikisovikiso Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Steel Blue Honda Pilot EX-L, 4x4, leather, moonroof, no navi, no dvd.

I declined LoJack (negotiated to $1100), 7 yr. extended warranty (got them down to $1200 with AAA pricing), interior/exerior protection, gap insurance ($395), etc. Maybe a little risk with the short 3 year warranty, but I trust Hondas & won't park in shady areas.

Car purchase price as follows:

$26,499 (below invoice, includes destination)
    + $699 (running boards)
    + $235 (cross bars for roof)
    + 8.25% CA tax
    + fees

Total $30,007 OTD.
  • hondapilot07hondapilot07 Member Posts: 1
    Are these prices still valid for 2007?
  • mafinchmafinch Member Posts: 11
    Gotta pay the man in Washington State too!
    Cyrusd, don't let these folks bother you. If you would have came here and said you bought the car for $7 some one here would have told you that you paid to much and with there expertise they could have got it for $5.50.

If you are happy with your purchase then enjoy your new car. If you wanted that lower rate and don't want the warranty then just cancel the warranty after you get your first payment statement and they will credit that to your loan. Your payment will stay the same but you will owe that much less.

if it was me I would keep the HC plan.

Congrats on your purchase.
    joel0622,

This is new to me. With all the papers I signed, am I able to cancel the extended warranty and still get the 6.07% APR?

BTW, I heard some mechanics complaining about the Accord V6 transmission. That partly affected to my decision getting the 6yrs/100K extended warranty.

Actually, I'm happy with this purchase as well as the car. What I'm concerned was if I did something wrong, I should know and learn it for the next purchase. Like I said, I will have to buy a new car for my family in the next 3 months. It's probably a CR-V.

Thank you for your sharing.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    What joel0622 mentioned is completely true. he is a car salesman (is that politically correct) for Ford and knows the business well.

What the finance manager did was play a game with you by pressuring you into buying the warranty by offering a lower finance rate. he makes a profit off the warranty. I don't think it is illegal but it certainly is unethical. You should not have had to accept the warranty to get the lower rate. Since you wanted to buy the warranty anyway and the price of the warranty seems pretty good, the point is moot. If you didn't wnat the warranty, you could simply cancel it like joel0622 suggested after your first payment. You keep the rate and they credit your account the cost of the warranty.

When you buy your CR-V, just keep this in mind.
  • mftibblemftibble Member Posts: 10
    In Chicago, IL. I am looking to purchase a Honda Pilot LX AWD and am wondering what is a good price. I have been quoted 22,446 (does not include tax, dock fee or destination charge). Any feedback or email would be appreciated. matthew_tibbleyahoo.com. Also, with the rebate out there what is everyone paying for the EX
    With all the papers I signed, am I able to cancel the extended warranty and still get the 6.07% APR?

As long as it is a HondaCare warranty you have 60 days (IIRC) to cancel the policy for a full refund. As Joel said, if you financed the policy the refund will likely go back to the bank and not to you. They will apply it to your loan - you will pay the same payment each month but have fewer of them.

Then, if you want to get HC you can do that from one of the discount HC dealers we talk about in the forum here and save money. They you get the low rate and a better/cheaper HC policy. Finally, you get to "Stick it" to the F&I person that was jerking you around about the rates and requiring you to buy the HC plan to get a lower rate.

As I posted in another message to you - always take your own approved financing to the dealer when you go. If they can beat your pre-approved rate from your bank/CU/online bank like CapitalOne then let the dealer do the deal, if they can't then use your pre-approved money.

Know the price to pay for the car, the price to pay for the warranty (if you want one), and know what you can do for sure for financing before you talk to a dealer. You get a better deal and save a lot of grief.

Dennis
  • sugarcookiesugarcookie Member Posts: 10
    We own a 2004 Accord V6 with GPS and the other bells and whistles. I am concerned about going out of warranty. Where can I get an honest estimate for extended warranty? Dealers around here are totally crazy with their costs. I am interested in at least 5 year/60,000 miles, $0 ded. Also, is the Accord as reliable as I have heard. Just bought the vehicle as pre-owned in January. Love the car, but am concerned. I live in the New York area. Thanks for your help.
    Google up Saccucci HondaCare and Bernardi HondaCare and contact them both for a price. You have until your Accord runs out of base warranty (3yr/36k miles) to purchase the extended warranty, so make haste :D .

Dennis
  • mhm63mhm63 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a Pilot LX this afternoon. Salesman trying to sell 7 year extended warranty by telling me that it is free. He said after 7 years I got my money back. The quote price is $1400 and change. After I said that I am not interesting ,he said that I have to sign the decline form. I am now so worried about the form I signed. Have any one have this experience?
  • mhm63mhm63 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a Pilot LX this afternoon. Salesman trying to sell 7 year extended warranty by telling me that it is free. He said after 7 years I got my money back. The quote price is $1400 and change. After I said that I am not interesting ,he said that I have to sign the decline form. I am now so worried about the form I signed. Have any one have this experience?
  • fsfsfsfsfsfsfsfs Member Posts: 2
    You do have until your 3yr/36000 warranty runs out to purchase the extended, but note that it's MUCH cheaper to buy it's been less than 1yr/6000 -- get multiple quotes at 5999, 6000, and 6001 to see for yourself!

(Note: threshold might differ between years/models. Above is true for Civic)
  • jetstream5jetstream5 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any information on Honda Care Sentinel; where to purchase online etc...Thanks
  • sugarcookiesugarcookie Member Posts: 10
    Honda has always been known to a dependable and basically mechanically sound car as long as you maintain your basics.
    Is it really necessary to spend the extra money on an extended warranty?
    mhm63, I do the same thing in my office. All products are offered and then you sign a form stating what you accepted and what you declined. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. The consumer cannot come back and say "no one told me I was buying a warranty, you hid it in my paperwork"

2. The consumer cannot come back 4 years later needing $2500 in transmission repairs and claim no one ever offered them a service contract.

The dealer has burden of proof. There have been dealers in California who have had to pay repair bills because they could not prove the Service Contract was offered at point of sale.
  • galabargalabar Member Posts: 6
    Hi Gardiner,

So, I can just purchase a new 2007 Pilot, decline the extended warranty from the dealer, and then purchase it directly from your site the next day (I live in Washington State)?

--Kevin
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Unless you are in Florida, you can purchase the warranty anywhere else. If you look through these posts, there are a numer of sites that members have found with great prices on Honda extended warranties.

If you're going to buy a Pilot, you might see what the warranty would cost using one of the dealerships recommended here. Then, when you're negotiating, you can tell the dealer that you'll buy the warranty there if they match the price. If not, no big deal.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• studdlystuddly Member Posts: 3
    I am purchasing a 2007 Honda Civic EX a/t sedan. This is my first Honda. I drive about 300-350 miles a week to and from work and am debating if I should get an extended warranty. With my miles it's not going to take long before I fall out of the factory warranty. It might take me 6 to 7 years if I go with a 120,000 mile extended warranty. My dealer isn't pushing it and in fact I was the one that brought it up.

On my American car purchases I've always bought and used the extended warranties but not on my foreign car purchases.

I plan on keeping the car for a long time. I know we can't predict the future but I just wanted to get your thoughts.

If I do go through with it I will either use Bernardi or Saccucci if my dealer won't beat their price.
  • donvincedonvince Member Posts: 8
    ????

So how does this online warranty work? I live in NY and looking to purchase the warranty from a dealer in Ma or Ri. Do I just bring the car with problems to any dealer and they honor the warranty?