Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Nothing that I know of, but I would guess none of them is going to offer a deal on HC warranty. They may not be able to or they may just not want to.

Dennis
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You won't know unless you try. They might want to make $800 profit on the warranty, but a few may think $150 is better than the $0 they will make if you buy it from another dealer for a lower price than they offer you.
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    If you have friend or family member with a non-Florida address you can buy online. Once the contract is approved, it is good nation wide(including Florida). The address on the warranty can later be changed if you like by calling Honda Care, but it really doesn't matter. It is a easy way to save some money.
  • snoopy4972snoopy4972 Member Posts: 8
    Personally I am a lot peeved. But I let them wear me down and agreed to the supposed $10 over what my payment would have been without it.

Technically I still paid the full amount for the contract, that is what the numbers say on the invoice. They "bought down the cost" by getting the bank to lower my interest rate and they justify this by saying that I'm now paying a lower rate on the car as well.

I certainly smell something fishy there and feel like I've been fooled, which is a bad feeling, but at this point don't know what to do about it. Thinking about it makes my head hurt. :sick:

As I said in my origianl post I hope that I never have to use it, but if I do hopfully it will be worth it.

Thank you for your reply.
  • snoopy4972snoopy4972 Member Posts: 8
    Technically I still paid the full price. With their numbers game, it just sounded like I was paying less for the contract. They lowered my interest rate to make my monthly payment more agreeable.

In any case, thank you for the contract info. It is helpful. Also, knowing that others find having the warranty a good thing makes me feel better about having it.
    If you have friend or family member with a non-Florida address you can buy online

If anyone does this, they need to make sure that they buy in their own name and not the other person's name. HC is on the car by VIN and the purchaser's name. For example, if "John Smith" purchased HC for an Accord and traded the car in later and forgot to get his pro-rated refund it would do no good to any later owners. If they got "John Smith" to transfer the HC to them ($50) fee then it would be good, but otherwise if you show up and a dealership and try to make a claim they will deny it since you are not covered on that car - only "John Smith" is - until you buy HC in your name for that VIN.

Someone at HC told me once that it is not unusual to see several HC plans on a single VIN - where the car has changed hands and the HC purchasers forgot to cash it out.

Dennis
  • todd62todd62 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer I purchased my Element from was so pushy about this $1400 warranty - to the point where they were telling me I was an idiot not to take it. For me that clued me in that they must make an awful lot of money on selling these things. Of course I suppose you could get your money's worth out of a warranty like this, but I declined.
    No matter if you wanted the warranty or not, you should print out the online quotes from the discount HC dealers. Then when they start the high pressure tactics hand them the print out and tell them "I would be an idiot if I purchased it from you for $1,400 when I could get it online for $700" (or whatever). That should shut them up in a hurry - and MAYBE they might agree to sell it to you for that price or less, but I would doubt it. In any case you could still opt not to buy it even if they make you a deal.

Of course, if someone I was buying from told me I was an idiot I would just tell them "buh-bye" and leave. There are way too many dealers and cars to choose from when buying a Honda to put up with any stuff from one of them.

Dennis
  • strikera55strikera55 Member Posts: 4
    Does Honda Care cover DVD as well as NAV. I know the coverage states that it covers • Genuine Honda Electronic/Audio Accessories, but it doesn't specifically state that it covers DVD. I called the myhondawarranty.com site, and she stated that she thought so, but that I would need to contact Honda to be sure.

Your insights appreciated.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Does Honda Care cover DVD as well as NAV.

See the top of page two of this sample contract. It specifically mentions DVD systems.

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/hondaSampleContract.pdf
    Yes, that is one of the reason folks with nav and entertainment equipped cars feel justified in paying for the HC plan. Note that they don't qualify if your Honda has or does not have these options, so you pay the same if you do as if you do not - but you "get" more coverage.

Dennis
    I wonder how many nav systems have failed outside of the 36 month factory warranty since Honda started offering nav on Accords in 2002?
    I haven't seen anyone post having that problem in any of the forums.
    I'm sure there are some in 10s or 100s of thousands of Accords with Navi that have been sold since 2002, but it seems like it's next to zero.
    I don't think they sell that many Nav equipped cars, as is typical for an OEM Nav system they price it at a rip-off price when compared to the cost of a GPS system these days.

The HC is for peace of mind, sure the odds are really small you will need it at all if you buy a Honda (that is why you buy a Honda, right?) but if you are one of the unlucky ones the cost of repairs will sail right past the cost of the HC plan. I know a guy who had the AC compressor go out on his Accord just outside the 36/36k base warranty. This cost for repair far exceeded what the cost would have been for a HC plan that would have replaced it for free.

The odds are in favor of Honda. They know how much this stuff breaks and how much it costs them to repair it so they set the price to make money. If a 120k $0 deductible HC plan costs $900 to buy you can bet the the average repair cost for that Honda for that term will be less than $900. It is like buying a lotto ticket, the odds are not great but if you get "lucky" then it is worth the money spent.

The key is to buy it at a discount price and cash it out should you trade the car before it is done. At least then you minimize the cost. Or just decide not to buy at all.

Dennis
    The AC compressor is more likely to go out. I'm referring to people who get the warranty specifically because they are scared of the nav system failing and costing $2000 to be repaired or replaced since that's what it cost to purchase.
    So now, their $2000 nav system is up to $2900 (assuming they got a good deal on the warranty) because they felt compelled to buy the warranty to protect it when they wouldn't have got the Hondacare otherwise.

Typically, electronic things like that fail pretty quickly if they are going to fail. How many people have TV sets and stereos that fail at around 4 to 6 years old?
    The DVD drive is the most likely thing to fail over time, but a DVD drive isn't that expensive.
  • mike779mike779 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a honda care warranty from http://www.buyhondacarewarranty.com/
    Not only did i get a great price on the warranty they also gave me a guaranteed price refund if i dont use the warranty.
    I just bought a honda care warranty from http://www.buyhondacarewarranty.com/
    Not only did i get a great price on the warranty they also gave me a guaranteed price refund if i dont use the warranty

This has been discussed here several times in the past and I would argue that you did not get a "great price".

When I checked they get $1015 for the I4 Accord 8yr/120k $0 deductible PLUS a $195 "fee" if you want your money back for a total of $1,210. If you buy from Saccucci or Bernardi you get the same plan for $940 or $270 less.

Now you don't get your money back buying from them, but you do save $270 right now. If you do not keep your car until the HC plan expires AND you use any benefit (roadside assist, rental car, or repair) then you get nothing back.

The odds go up that most folks will sell or trade, wreck, or have their car stolen before the HC expires - or even need to use it.

It also looks like they keep the $195 "administrative fee" and only refund the $1,015 for the HC.

To me, not a good deal. Paying $270 too much for a warranty then you can't use it.

Dennis
  • moochachamoochacha Member Posts: 14
    Last month, I bought one for $19,500 + tax + doc fee.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Mooch,

2007 Element EX: Last month, I bought one for $19,500 + tax + doc fee.

2008 Toyota Camry LE: Closed a deal today. $21, 200 + doc fee + tax. ( moochacha, "Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #5822, 13 Oct 2007 9:20 pm )

Did you buy the extended warranty? How much did you pay for that? Did you also get the extended warranty for the Camry you just bought? People may be interested in how Honda and Toyota extended warranties compare in price and coverage.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • moochachamoochacha Member Posts: 14
    Nope... didn't by warranty at all.

When you do a deal like this, they know that their ext. warranty will not be as cheap as what you can get elsewhere...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Nope... didn't by warranty at all.

Oh, I see. Well, in that case you probably wanted to post your message in Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience since the topic here is Honda Extended Warranties.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ahughes584ahughes584 Member Posts: 7
    I know I should know the answer, but if a Honda Extended Warranty says its for 60 months and 84k miles, does that mean 84k miles beginning from the purchase date of the warranty or 84k miles total the car has been driven since new? For example, I just bought a used 2006 Civic Hybrid with 21k miles--would the coverage then extend to 105k miles?

TIA,
    Andy
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    84K total vehicle miles.. So.. .since new..

60 months.. From first registration/sale..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx, thanks for the reply. That is what I had originally thought.

But at Curry Honda, its says:
    Note: Coverage for a new plan begins when the vehicle is originally put into
    service and at zero miles. Coverage for a pre-owned plan begins on the service contract purchase date and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.

Is that a mistake? Or is this coverage not quite the same thing as a Honda Extended Warranty?
    When I check here for a sample contract at myhondawarranty.com, I don't see the issue addressed at all.
  • vabookwormvabookworm Member Posts: 7
    The Honda Care warranty just extends your factory warranty. If you buy it for 60 months/100,000 miles, It extends it 2 years and 64,000 miles. The contract period effective date would be the date your vehicle was put into service.
  • tjc30tjc30 Member Posts: 11
    I am looking to buy an EW for my 2006 Pilot (10K miles only so far) and I found https://www.myhondawarranty.com/ has the cheapest rate for 5yr/60K.

Is there any other place that I can get it lower ?

Thanks.
    VA, ok, thanks that makes sense. So when it says the extended warranty os for 84k miles, the current mileage on my car doesn't really matter--the coverage stops when the odometer gets to 84k.
    I might have replied out of turn...

There are three scenarios in getting a HondaCare extended warranty..

1) Buying it on your brand-new car

2) Buying it on your car (purchased new), but months after the sale

3) Buying a used car, then purchasing an extended warranty.

In scenarios 1) and 2), it is just as we stated above.

However, I don't have any experience with buying the warranty on a car by it's 2nd owner. I suppose it is possible that the warranty could be different.

That brochure from Curry is the standard HondaCare brochure, so there may be some basis for that. You can be sure that a warranty like that would be much more expensive, to reflect the increased coverage.

Clear as mud?
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

:) Pretty much, yes!

So I understand where we are at this point, it isn't clear whether the extended care warranty goes until the odometer reaches 84k or whether it goes for (84k + whatever was on the odometer) when the warranty was purchased?

kyfdx, what is it about the Curry brochure that would make it pricier than other extended care warranties?
    Nothing...

I was just remarking that a warranty that starts today, and lasts for 84 more months... is going to be more expensive than a warranty that runs out 84 months from the when the car was new.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I purchased a used VW Passat, which I just traded in. The factory warranty was 4 years/48,000 miles. At 40,000 miles, I bought an extended warranty through Warranty Direct. It went for 4 years, 100,000 miles. That 4 years started the date I bought the warranty, but the 100,000 miles was the odometer reading, it didn't have anything to do with when I bought the warranty.
    The Honda Care warranty just extends your factory warranty. If you buy it for 60 months/100,000 miles, It extends it 2 years and 64,000 miles. The contract period effective date would be the date your vehicle was put into service.

vabookworm and kyfdx are both posting completely incorrect information regarding this.

What is posted on the curry web-site is correct. The subject is also addressed on Saccucci Honda's extended warranty web-site in their FAQ's

at:

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php

When does coverage for service contracts begin?

Coverage for a new auto begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for a pre-owned plan(over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.

So yes, you get a full $84,000 miles from the mileage on your purchase date. As a host, of this forum, I would expect kyfdx to state only what he has direct knowledge of and not mislead people trying to get information.

Furthermore in his last post, kyfdx mentioned an 84 month used warranty. Honda doesn't even offer that as an option. The maximum time frame on used vehicles is an additional 72 months and an additional 84K miles.

Honda care used warranties can be purchased anytime before the 3 year 36K warranty has expired.

See the Saccucci Honda web-site for these options.

You should get a quote from Saccucci Honda on your warranty. Generally, they give a lower price that Currry.

Good luck!
    Jet10000, thanks for your post. A warranty that adds 84k miles of coverage would be far more attractive than what I had misunderstood it to be.

Thanks to all for the time and help.

Andy
    Has anyone purchased a Honda Care warranty on a used car? I know when I bought from Warranty Direct for my Passat it was 4 years from the date of my contract or till 100,000 miles whichever occurred first. I think the statement above about getting an additional 84,000 miles is incorrect but someone who has actually purchased this from Honda may know for sure. The term "at the mileage on the odometer on that date" could be just a matter of semantics that you're telling the truth about the current mileage at the time you purchased the extended warranty.
    Jet10000, thanks for your post. A warranty that adds 84k miles of coverage would be far more attractive than what I had misunderstood it to be.

You're welcome. You may even consider that holding off on buying the warranty since it starts when you buy it. You'll have up until the 3 year 36K expires. You'll need to know the date the vehicle was originally put into service to know when the 3 years are up. Any Honda dealer should be able to tell you that by looking at the VIN number.

They will charge you more for the warranty however, the closer you buy it to the expiration date of the factory warranty.

You can go to that web-site I posted yesterday, myhondawarranty.com and run some different scenarios what would be the price if you bought it at 25,000 or 30,000 or 35,000 for example. Then based on the price differences you can make a decision when it would make the most sense for you to purchase it.

I know vabookworm is still posting that he doesn't think that the 84K mileage starts when you buy the warranty. To further confirm this, you can call any local Honda dealer that sells Honda Care---their warranty department can confirm these terms for Honda Care. You can also contact they Saccucci honda (their number is on the myhondawarranty.com web-site). They along with Bernardi Honda generally have the lowest prices for extended warranties on the web.

Good luck!
    Jet10000, got this in email from Saccucci:
    For vehicles over 6,000 miles the plan starts at the day you purchase the warranty. So you would get an additional 5 years/84k from the day you purchase the warranty

This would confirm that what you said was correct, that the 84k miles is on top of whatever mileage the car already has.
    The price does go up the later you buy, but if you needed to cancel the policy (total loss, theft, traded the car, etc) the later you buy the larger percentage of your money you get back. The pro-rated refund is paid based on the the number of months and miles on the car at purchase time and the months and miles on the car at the time you cancel it.

If you purchased a 6 year, 60k plan on the day you purchased the car new, at 3 years or 30k miles (whichever comes first) you would get back 1/2 of what you paid less a fee. If you waited until 2 years and 20k miles to buy the plan, for example, your refund would be 3/4 of what you paid less the fee.

So waiting costs more but could return more money (net and gross) than buying early. On a new car, waiting past the first few thousand miles and few months limits your warranty coverage options, however.

Dennis
    This would confirm that what you said was correct, that the 84k miles is on top of whatever mileage the car already has.

Great, I'm glad I you got your question answered. It sounds like an excellent deal to me to have 84,000 miles extra coverage on a pre-owned vehicle.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    My 2007 EX-L is about to reach 6k miles, so I urgently need to purchase an extended warranty. Which is the cheapest --- Sacucci, Bernardi, another dealer? :confuse:

Thanks greatly for the help.
    They give free, instant, online quotes so just google them up and see who is cheap for your car for the coverage that you want.

I normally just spot check the highest term and mileage for the I4 Accord and last time I checked Bernardi and Saccucci had the same price on that coverage. You have to check it for yourself since the V6 price or shorter terms may not be the same.

When you google up their web pages make sure you spell the dealership name correctly, then add honda care to the search and the proper web page should come up.

Dennis
    As I noted in my earlier post, my experience was buying an extended warranty through Warranty Direct for my used VW Passat, which took it to 4 years/100,000 total miles. If Honda Care extends the mileage for used cars, that is a great deal. I have a new Honda Civic and will be buying the Honda Care extended warranty online within the next few months. I'm at 700 miles right now. I'm thinking about the 120,000 mile/96 months option since I plan to keep the car a long time.

A few people have noted that you get a courtesy car if your's is in for maintenance or repair..? What if the dealer you bought your Honda from offers a different extended warranty? Do they still have to honor the Honda Car courtesy car option?
    If they are a Honda dealer then they accept HondaCare and then you get a "rental car reimbursement". So the dealer could rent you a car and you pay them and then HC pays you back - or they could give you the car and HC pays them back - or you could have to rent something yourself from a cheapie rental place (Enterprise, etc) and get paid back by HC. So it MAY not be as simple as drop off your car and drive out in the loaner - but it could be, just depends on the dealer. Worst case you drop off the car and have to pay for your own rental and wait for HC to pay you back.

The limit is $35 per day for a maximum of 6 days or $210 for each covered repair and this includes waiting for parts.

The day limit (not waiting for parts) is based on the number of "book hours" that Honda says the repair should take.

This is the way it was last contract I read - when you apply for HC YOUR contract terms will be on the back of the application you have to sign and send back in (if buying online). Read all that fine print to make sure your policy has coverage you can live with.

Dennis
    Which is the cheapest --- Sacucci, Bernardi, another dealer?

Yes, they both usually have the same prices. Their web pages are

myhondawarranty.com and hondawarrantyinfo.com.

Sometimes they offer a deal like $25 off a Honda accessory from their parts department.
    What if the dealer you bought your Honda from offers a different extended warranty? Do they still have to honor the Honda Car courtesy car option?

Section 2B of this sample contract will give you an idea on how the rental car reimbursement works.

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/hondaSampleContract.pdf
  • dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    Are these guys for real ? $350 compared to like $1050 for the same 5/60 locally?
    Are these guys for real ? $350 compared to like $1050 for the same 5/60 locally?

Yes, they're for real. It's the local dealers who see the extended warranty as just another way to line their pockets with profits.
    The 5/60 isn't giving all that much coverage beyond the factory warranty to justify $1050. I can't believe anyone would pay it.
    At that price, you are correct :D .

Dennis
  • garylcgarylc Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2008 Civic from my local dealer, feel I got a good price ($16,200) for the 5-speed manual LX, but got taken on the extended warranty, from what I've read here. It was my first time buying an extended, and they started out at $2200 for a 8/120, then went down to $1750, then bottom lined at $1500. I hadn't done any homework (except on the invoice of the car), and signed up. I'm just now seeing that I could have bought the warranty on-line for $890!!!!
    Oh well, live & learn....
    Just go back to the dealership (with the online price print outs in hand) and tell them you want to cancel the HC plan you purchased from them. You can cancel within 60 days of purchase and get a full refund (unless you have used any benefits of the plan since purchase). For the amount of savings it would be well worth your effort. If the dealer gives you a hard time, just call HC on their toll free and tell them you want to cancel and the dealer will not cooperate and they can get it taken care of - (800)999-5901 should be the number. Get something in writing that you have cancelled the plan "just in case" they "forget" to sent the paperwork in on time.

The only gotcha may be if you financed the plan with the car. If so, the refund will go back to the bank and not to you. In most cases they will apply the refund to the principle of the loan on the back end - so your payments will not go down but there will be fewer of them. If you did not finance the plan, then the full refund comes to you.

You can buy another plan online later at the reduced price, there is no rule that says you can't.

I said to take the print outs with you, since there is a chance that rather than make nothing on the plan they will offer to match the online price and give you a refund of the difference. If they do not, then cancel and re-buy online.

Dennis