Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• duke23duke23 Member Posts: 488
    Tidester wrote:
    "You should be able to get a prorated cancellation refund based either on miles driven or time elapsed. Typically, there would be a cancellation fee deducted from a refund. "
    I am not aware of a cancellation fee but I stand willing to be corrected if I haven't read my contract thoroughly. I shall go back and review. There is a $50 transfer fee if you transfer to another buyer ( one time option) but other than that my understanding is that it is all prorated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I shall go back and review.

Let us know what you find out.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I am not aware of a cancellation fee but I stand willing to be corrected if I haven't read my contract thoroughly.

I think there is a $25 processing fee for canceling the Honda Care after 60 days. I found it in section V.B. of this sample contract:

http://www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com/contract.php
    jet10000 wrote:

"I think there is a $25 processing fee for canceling the Honda Care after 60 days. I found it in section V.B. of this sample contract "
    Thank you sir, I appreciate factual data. Kudos on contributing to the benefit of those who purchase this product. To those that don't, no problem either but factual data as well please.
  • ldog01ldog01 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased an 06 civic. I very stupidly just realized that the original sale date of the car to the original owner was 10/05. So, it's actually past the 3 year in-service date to make it eligible to purchase a Honda care warranty. My question is, if I just claim I don't know the vehicle in-service date, can I get away with buying a Honda care warranty? If I didn't have the Carfax report, I don't think I'd have any way of knowing. Is there any chance I'd get away with just checking the "less than 3 years" box? Or, will any dealer I'm buying the warranty from have those records? Or, will any dealer I'm getting the car serviced at have the same records?
    idog01 wrote:
    "I just purchased an 06 civic. I very stupidly just realized that the original sale date of the car to the original owner was 10/05. So, it's actually past the 3 year in-service date to make it eligible to purchase a Honda care warranty. My question is, if I just claim I don't know the vehicle in-service date, can I get away with buying a Honda care warranty? If I didn't have the Carfax report, I don't think I'd have any way of knowing. Is there any chance I'd get away with just checking the "less than 3 years" box? Or, will any dealer I'm buying the warranty from have those records? Or, will any dealer I'm getting the car serviced at have the same records?"

I suspect the latter and that the vin# will be your undoing. There's always Warranty Direct although the latter's plan is inferior to HCEW.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...Tidester, where can I find out more about the Honda Care Extended Warranty refund in the event of non-use after expiration?

I bought a HC 6year/80k for my Accord 3.5 years back. Never used it. I'm at 60k now - - - paid Ray Laks about $585 online (I'm in CA) for it. What sort of rebate (how much) are we looking at here?

Season's best. ez....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's quite a bit of information in this very forum. Type in the word "prorate" (without the quotes) into the "Search this discussion" field at the top of this page.

My understanding is that you can get the refund on the lesser amount between prorated miles and prorated time. In your case, the mileage refund would be (20/80) × $585 = $146.25 versus the time refund (2.5/6) × $585 = $243.75.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ncleafncleaf Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a Honda Certified 2003 Odyssey and think the Extended Warranty I agreed to buy is excessive. The van has 79,000 miles on it so I basically paid $1295 for 21,000 miles or May 2010. Did I get ripped off? I feel like I did ... could I cancel it and get the same bumper-to-bumper coverage somewhere else?
    Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    So, it's actually past the 3 year in-service date to make it eligible to purchase a Honda care warranty. My question is, if I just claim I don't know the vehicle in-service date, can I get away with buying a Honda care warranty?

No, when the car is first purchased from a Honda dealer, the in-service date is placed into the Honda database. This is the reason that you can take the car in for repairs to any Honda dealer and they can see from their computer if your car is under factory warranty or not.

So when they would try to process your Honda Care request with that VIN number it would immediately be flagged.
    Recently purchased a Honda Certified 2003 Odyssey and think the Extended Warranty I agreed to buy is excessive. The van has 79,000 miles on it so I basically paid $1295 for 21,000 miles or May 2010. Did I get ripped off? I feel like I did ... could I cancel it and get the same bumper-to-bumper coverage somewhere else?

What company is providing the extended warranty? Since the vehicle has so many miles on it, I think you may have trouble finding a better price. Honda Care doesn't even sell extended coverage if the vehicle is older than 3 years or has more than 36,000 miles.
  • ncleafncleaf Member Posts: 2
    It's with Honda Care. I just think the price should be prorated or something. I don't know.
    It's with Honda Care. I just think the price should be prorated or something. I don't know.

Well, I knew Honda Care could be transferred from the original purchaser to a used car buyer. But I didn't know that a dealer could sell the balance of a 7 year, 100,000 mile Honda Care to someone buying a certified used Honda. That's a new one for me.

If they were able to do that, make sure you get all of your paperwork from Honda Care. And even though it sounds costly, I don't think you're going to get any coverage for less money because the vehicle has so many miles on it already---there's a higher probability that something could go wrong.
  • finzzfinzz Member Posts: 40
    I just called US Fidelis on my 2005 Accord EX w/ Nav. 79,483 miles

They will cover the car for an additional 80,000 miles or additional 5 years and want $2,675.

That gives me coverage up to nearly 160,000 miles.

I haven't done much research yet, although, Honda Warranty won't cover me as I'm over 36,000 miles.

Any thoughts on whether or not this sounds like a reasonable deal?

Thanks very much and Merry Christmas!!

--bob
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    It sounds quite expensive to me, and I don't trust the company offering it at all. I did a quick internet search and found that a number of online posters believe US Fidelis to be directly related to National Auto Warranty Services, which has acquired a very poor reputation. However, I suggest you make up your own mind after googling the following search terms: us fidelis national auto warranty services

My personal advice would be to either stick with Honda Care or self-insure.
  • ldog01ldog01 Member Posts: 4
    As I posted earlier, I am unable to get the Honda Care Warranty on my 06 Civic because it's past the 3 year in service date. However, one of the dealers I called said there is a specific Honda Care warranty for certified Hondas that I can only get from the dealer I purchased the car from. She thought it was the "h70" Honda Care warranty. I googled and can't find anything about an "h70" contract. Is anybody familiar with anything like this?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    $2675 is a lot of money and would pay for any major repair that you may encounter over the next few years.

My advice is save your money so you can pay for any major repair yourself.
  • wolfman91wolfman91 Member Posts: 1
    I was planning to purchase an extended warranty for my new 2008 Odyssey, but I was hesitant to purchase one because of how much my local dealer was charging ($2073 for 84mos/120k). I thought I would just take care of it after Christmas. Unfortunately, we went on a trip and drove about 1,000 miles. The van now has about 6,400 miles on it. Does this mean that I can no longer purchase a new Honda Care warranty?

I wish I had discovered this forum sooner. It appears that 72mos/102k is now the best I can do. Some of the dealers like Saccucci and Bernardi will quote prices for an extended warranty for the van, but are these bumper-to-bumper Honda Care warranties? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    wolfman91 wrote :
    "I was planning to purchase an extended warranty for my new 2008 Odyssey, but I was hesitant to purchase one because of how much my local dealer was charging ($2073 for 84mos/120k). I thought I would just take care of it after Christmas. Unfortunately, we went on a trip and drove about 1,000 miles. The van now has about 6,400 miles on it. Does this mean that I can no longer purchase a new Honda Care warranty? "
    Can we hear a howl ? Please. You are in luck.
    HCOA considers new to be 8,000 or less. You were wise to ignore the exorbitant prices of your dealer, but still may purchase from any of your online alternatives. Post back and we'll supply. So you can purchase a new HC extended warranty and get new care pricing.
    The only complication will come from if you reside in the " we've got big electoral college votes states of FL or CA " In their wisdom, they have decided that such divination should only occurr from state designed AAL. Apologies to the legitimate AAL. If you are not, you can go online and get a real deal. If not then you are screwed, thinking scooby doo untranslatable.
    But there are remedial alternatives so do not remorse.
  • jwallsjwalls Member Posts: 30
    It was suggested to me from a great person on this forum to send out quote requests for the warranty. I am one of the unfortunate ones living in California that are not allowed to buy extended warranties online (although they will sell them to you...and its argued if you can or can not buy them). I ended up sending out about 20 request and two dealerships agreed to my amount ($925.00 for the 7yr/80k mile with no deductible). This was within a few dollars of the best online price. I saved nearly $600.00 from the dealers price !!!! Good luck with this. If you need the dealership name in California I used let me know. You might also want to call Honda Corporate about the mileage. I was told the mileage can not exceed 6k

Jim
  • RoBoRaTRoBoRaT Member Posts: 5
    JWalls: Can you tell me which dealer agreed to match best price. I am also living here in SoCal and the dealers around me got way to high price. I am looking at getting 8 year/ 100K miles - do you happen to know how much they're selling it for? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all! Rod
  • kynastonkynaston Member Posts: 2
    does anyone no if this is the time to buy or wait until after 1/5/09? we can get at 2009 EX for 18,625 excludes tax license etc, for 3.9% x 60 months, or should we wait a week or two and see what the interest rates are?
    Jim :
    My greatest kudos on working within the system. 10 % for those [non-permissible content removed] err kindly California dealerships to follow the national norm. But congratulations on getting them to match the best price. You are my hero. The rest of us in the lower 46 have done our best and you have overcome , In the land of milk and honey ! You got a great deal .My congratulations.
    kynaston wrote:
    "does anyone no if this is the time to buy or wait until after 1/5/09? we can get at 2009 EX for 18,625 excludes tax license etc, for 3.9% x 60 months, or should we wait a week or two and see what the interest rates are? "

Wrong forum sir. You want either prices paid or new lease rates. But since you need 3.9% or less I'd say you don't need a car. Drive that Yugo to the ground.
  • ltx2ltx2 Member Posts: 1
    Would also love to find out the dealer you bought the Honda Care Warranty from. We just bought 08 EX-L w RES in SoCal. :shades:
  • jwallsjwalls Member Posts: 30
    I got the extended warranty through Honda World in Downey. I worked with Jimmy Lee who I believe is the finance manager. I looked to see what they would sell them for back east and like I stated before, got some GREAT advice from "Dantz" on here. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you.

Jim
  • RoBoRaTRoBoRaT Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Jim. I'll try talking to them. ;)
  • jufisonjufison Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2009 Manual Accord LX in early November. It has just over 3,000 miles on it.

I apparently researched every aspect of the process except extended warranties. I was going to not get one, but in a moment of weakness I got one at the dealer without really knowing what I was doing.

I bought a 6 year/72,000 mile warrant through Fidelity Warranty Services. I didn't realize that this wasn't a factory one, or what the difference was. I did get the price knocked down a few hundred and paid $1100 for it. Supposedly, if I don't use it I get the amount I paid for it back.

My 60 days to turn in this warranty is up in the next couple of days. I am currently planning on keeping this vehicle for quite a while (certainly past the warranty) and there is a chance that I may get to 72K in under 6 years.

Should I turn this warranty back in? Are they going to honor me getting my money back in 72K? Is it going to be hassle?

Should I instead buy a Honda Care, even if I don't get my money back?

Help...please!

Thanks,

Jim
  • jolejole Member Posts: 2
    Can someone recommend online vendors for Honda Car Care Warranties? I am not sure how legitimate are the bunch I get when I google.

I live in Indiana with 4,900 miles in an Accord 09 and the dealer asks close to 3000 for 7 year/120,000 warranty.
    Thanks! JOR
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Go with them...they are the best bar none on a Honda. There are two internet sites from dealers in the northeast that sell them at great prices. Do a search in this forum for both names. Good luck.

The Sandman :)
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    go to post 2459 to see the 3 dealers who get mentioned most often. skim the posts from the last year in this forum and you will see many happy customers. IIRC, the best deals end when you reach 6,000 miles so don't waste any time. Also, one site says that prices will increase 1/5/09. Don't drag your feet if you are interested.
  • hiltonmjhiltonmj Member Posts: 3
    Buy it now or before the promotion ends on the 5th. I just bought an 09 CRV-EX for $900.00 under invoice and received overbook on my 06 CRV. Honda's are selling, so I do not suspect that they will lower the rates. They may extend the 3.90, but that is about it.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    My two cents... I would return the Fidelity warranty and get the geunine Honda Care warranty. Read through the posts and you'll find a few dealers that sell the warranties online.
  • jolejole Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the timely information. Regards. JOR
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    On sat, I settled for a new 09 LX. But since dealer has to find the car (it was late Saturday), I have to get it mid week. Today, I'm more inclined to spend the extra $20 a month and get an LX-P, mostly thinking ahead on resale value (mostly the sec. system and alloy wheels).

however, also looking at the possibility of keeping this car, asked for prices on an extended warranty. for 8yr/120k, they wanted 1900 (plus tax). Looking at the dealers prices posted before, it would be just under $1k for the same price, and even with the price increase (since the deal won't be settled until later in the week) it would be much better. Also, afaik, they won't collect sales tax...
    FYI,

Just got of the phone with Hyannis regarding Honda Care plans after today. The prices did not change and they'll be updating the web site to allow new plan purchases.

The other two dealers are charging the exact same (except one offering a coupon for accessories and the other one a 1 year payment plan).
    My 60 days to turn in this warranty is up in the next couple of days. I am currently planning on keeping this vehicle for quite a while (certainly past the warranty) and there is a chance that I may get to 72K in under 6 years.

Should I turn this warranty back in? Are they going to honor me getting my money back in 72K? Is it going to be hassle?

It may be a hassle, but you should definitely turn it back in. You have plenty of time to buy a Honda Care with much better coverage and at a lower price if you want. But there's no advantage to keeping that Fidelity at that rate.

Just go back to the dealer, fill out the forms, jump through the hoops and get your full refund.
    When picking up the new accord, the finance mgr. pushed Honda Care at 1940 for 84m/120K. I told him the prices I've gotten did not include the one in the front. He then said that 940 was his cost and could not go lower than 1040. I declined.
  • e419e419 Member Posts: 8
    i don't understand what this 6,000 miles is. The honda care website says that vehicles within the original factory warranty period (3 yrs/36,000) are eligible for the New Honda Warranty. Is the price lower if its under 6,000 miles?
  • brianNHbrianNH Member Posts: 5
    According to Bernadi's purchase page for the Honda warranty:
    Vehicles are defined as "New" if their mileage is less than 6,000 and their model year is 2008 or newer. All other vehicles are defined as "Used".

If you enter less than 6k miles, you can buy up to 96/120k if it's over 6k, you can only buy up to 72/84k

That was the difference that I could see.

If you enter less than 6k miles, you can buy up to 96/120k if it's over 6k, you can only buy up to 72/84k

That was the difference that I could see.

There is another difference that is not so obvious. When you buy a Honda Care when the car has less than 6k miles, the mileage & time begins from the date when the car was put into service.

However, when you purchase a Honda Care after 6,000 miles, the mileage & time begins at the time of the Honda Care purchase. So in your example, above of the 72 month, 84k, that would be in addition to whatever time and mileage the car currently has.

Here is the reference from Saccucci's website stating this:

When does coverage for service contracts begin?

Coverage for a new auto begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for a pre-owned plan(vehicles over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php
  • hiltonmjhiltonmj Member Posts: 3
    They key word here is "pre-owned". If you were to buy a "new" vehicle from the dealer and purchased the warranty after the 6k, it would still go back to the original date of purchase and 0 miles or whateve was on the odometer when the vehicle was purchased. Honda would have the vin and owner information in the system, so you would not be able to cheat the system by getting a new vehicle warranty starting at 6000k miles or more unless you bought it used.
  • brianNHbrianNH Member Posts: 5
    Yeah it does say that the date starts at the time of the contract for >6k. However that seems fishy to me, if I wait until just shy of 36m/36k miles and then buy a 72m/84k warranty, that means I get it for up to 108m/120k miles vehicle miles, when i could only get up to 96/120k when it was new?

On APCO's site (the administrator, easycare.com) they talk about the used policies by saying that it's possible because the dealer agrees to inspect and certify the vehicle is applicable to the extended warranty. It seems to me that if you bought it new 3 years ago, it might be hard to get that warranty setup.

Regardless, the price is not significantly different even if you factor in interest for 3 years on the price. It would be different though if you sold it shortly after the 3rd year as far as how much you get back prorated.
    They key word here is "pre-owned". If you were to buy a "new" vehicle from the dealer and purchased the warranty after the 6k, it would still go back to the original date of purchase and 0 miles or whateve was on the odometer when the vehicle was purchased.

What you stated is completely untrue. The key word is not "pre-owned" but the key phrase is "pre-owned plan" which is the phrase that Saccuccui used in their website. It defined what a pre-owned plan was "(vehicles over 6,000 miles)". There was no designation made that the vehicle needed to be re-sold to qualify for that plan. "Pre-owned plan" is just the phrase that Honda Care uses to refer to plans they sell for vehicles that are higher than 6,000 miles. Granted it's probably a confusing phrase.

Note that you did not post any link or reference to back up your claim that the coverage would go back to whatever odometer reading the vehicle had when it was sold (whether new or used) nor will you be able to because what you said is completely false information.
    Yeah it does say that the date starts at the time of the contract for >6k. However that seems fishy to me, if I wait until just shy of 36m/36k miles and then buy a 72m/84k warranty, that means I get it for up to 108m/120k miles vehicle miles, when i could only get up to 96/120k when it was new?

But you're assuming that they offer a 72m/84k warranty for a vehicle just shy of 36m/36k, and that's not the case.

Just go to myhondawarranty.com, enter a 2006 vehicle with 35,000 miles and you'll see that the longest warranty you can get is now 60m/60k. Added to the factory warranty, that is less than the total amount of coverage you could've gotten if you had purchased one of the pre-6,000 mile plans.
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    You've pointed out one of the biggest reasons to get the EW before 6k miles. Are there other reasons beside the coverage availability (mileage limit) and added expense (I assume paying for the EW later doesn't make-up for the price increase, but it may make-up for any reduction in cancellation due to selling vehicle or it getting totaled) for buying the EW before 6k miles?
    Thanks,
    mkielm
    Another advantage to purchasing before 6k miles is that you get the roadside assistance for the full term of the contract. That's can be worth approximately $55 per year if you bought it through AAA.
  • RxB610RxB610 Member Posts: 9
    For those who got the Honda Care, did you pay for it upfront or was it added on top of your payments if you financed. Was it spread out yearly (equally) or financed? I got 6yrs/80K/0 for $1200 financed at 3.9% for 5 years (same financing rate as the van). I feel i got jacked comparing with the prices i've seen on this site. I was not prepared when i was closing the deal and was lulled into getting it when the dealer said i can cancel within 60 days and can't get that 'deal' anywhere else if i don't get it by then.
    Looks like the best price i found was $1195 8yrs/120K./0 from hondacareextendedwarranty.com. I plan on holding on the Ody long term.
    For those who got the Honda Care, did you pay for it upfront or was it added on top of your payments if you financed. Was it spread out yearly (equally) or financed?

I paid upfront with one of the dealers online after I had purchased the vehicles, so I did not have it financed.

You probably should cancel the plan within the first 60 days and then buy it for the $1,195 with the extra 2 years and 40,000 miles of coverage for the same price. After all, it's in the later time period where there is a higher risk of something going wrong with the vehicle.
  • sliderule43sliderule43 Member Posts: 8
    Purchased mine from the dealer at the time of sale. Wrapped it into my 2.9% 60 month payment.

Cost $ 780 for 7 years, 80,000 miles (more than I need). Zero deductible.

2008 Honda Ridgeline. Purchased Nov 2008.