Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    mkielm has valid points, especially if we want to keep our money local.

I personally like to do that when possible.

Right, well I'm not willing to spend extra time negotiating an EW with them when I know they won't go less than the online dealer. I'm certainly not going to pay more just to keep the money local. I'd rather give the difference to a local charity---probably would do more good there.

In addition, I'd rather support the online sellers of Honda Care. They're the ones that give Honda drivers the possibility of even buying the contract at a good rate. Without them, the dealers could and would charge sky-high prices.

The dealer is making enough money off of the car sale itself. In addition, if you're a good buyer, you're goal is to leave as little money on the table as possible---not feed the local economy.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    "Right, well I'm not willing to spend extra time negotiating an EW with them when I know they won't go less than the online dealer."

I don't expect them to sell for less than the On-Line dealer. Just match them.

As far as "Extra time" is concerned. When I told the finance man I would need to check out prices on the EW, he immediately dropped his price to about what the "On-Line" dealers charge. He did the same on the interest rate.

Probably a lot less time involved there than dealing on the internet.

Also, when I purchased a large number of accessories for our new Ridgeline, I got the prices "On-Line" and asked the dealer parts guy to match them. He did! ;)

Kip
  • trichardsontrichardson Member Posts: 28
    I bought a new Odyssey today. Picked up a HC Warranty at the end. THANK YOU to all in this forum, really helped me get a good deal. I got 8 yr/100k miles and $0 ded for $1350.
    As far as "Extra time" is concerned. When I told the finance man I would need to check out prices on the EW, he immediately dropped his price to about what the "On-Line" dealers charge.

Well, I didn't have a dealer who came down to the price. Neither did a number of people who posted in this forum, including post #3281 who you were talking to a few days ago.

If you ask and they agree to the price, that's fine. But I'm not going to haggle with the finance guy, when I know I can get the price lower online.
    edited March 2010
    >"Well, I didn't have a dealer who came down to the price. Neither did a number of people who posted in this forum, including post #3281 who you were talking to a few days ago"

There are also people that got close to or better than internet prices from their local dealer.

>"But I'm not going to haggle with the finance guy, when I know I can get the price lower online."

I don't haggle either.

When I've done my homework, there is "0" (ZERO) haggle involved. He gives me his price. I give him mine. He will either do the deal and make a couple hundred dollars, or he won't. No Haggle! Same thing with the finance rates.

When we walk into the dealers store, the only haggling should be concerning the trade-in vehicle. (We can eliminate this one by selling the car out right.)
    We should already have the price of their car from the internet manager. We should also know the best price available for the EW.

They will always try to steal the trade. I tell them what it is worth (Trade-in value) and show documentation on how I got that number. If my number is reasonable for the condition of my car, they realize I'm serious and firm on my price they will likely try to do the deal, . The only haggling is on their part. Sometimes it is plain downright entertaining. I don't play the "meet in the middle" game. :shades:

Kip
    >I bought a new Odyssey today. Picked up a HC Warranty at the end. THANK YOU to all in this forum, really helped me get a good deal. I got 8 yr/100k miles and $0 ded for $1350.

Good choice on vehicles.
    Which dealer did you buy from? Did you buy the EW on line? :)

Kip
  • justideasjustideas Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I bought a Honda last Friday with Honda EW for 8 years and 120K miles for $1,250 @ 0 Deduct. They started at around $1,800+ for 8 and 100K. I said no and got up to leave and I said if that is the best you can do then no thanks. He said how about 120K and 8 for $1,500, I picked up my cell phone and called my wife (she was out of town) and told her story and asked if she wanted it for that price...then I acted like she asked for counter-offer and told EW guy "she says wants $1,200 for deal, he said ok how about $1,250 which is $50 over cost? We agreed on 8 years and 120K for $1,250! I was not going to buy EW and he could tell and maybe why he offered low price, for I had told him a few days before (when they were looking around area for model and options we wanted) I did not need it and it cost too much. Ireally do not know all details on what EW covers but for price paid...I can't go wrong.
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2010
    I just purchased a 2010 Pilot 4WD Touring. The dealer offered me RepairMaster 7 Yr/85k (maybe 80k) for $1300, and 7yr 100k for $1450.

I did not take it because I do not generally believe in extended warranties. But after reading this forum, if I could get a HC warranty with 8 Yrs/100k with $0 deductable for around $1250, that might make sense.

Does Honda Care warranty cover diagnostics that may result in a problem not being covered under warranty? or do I wind up paying for labor if the issue turns out not to be covered under warranty

Can anyone explain what the "Gotchas" are for these warranties?

Regards,
    edited March 2010
    There are also people that got close to or better than internet prices from their local dealer.

I can't really recall anyone who said they actually got a better price than an internet dealer, though I might have forgotten an instance. "Close to" however, means that you'd be paying more than the internet dealer. Something I would never do.

When I purchase my next Honda Care, I'll get quotes from the online dealers (as prices are no longer posted straight onto the web,) and I'll reward the one who is lowest with my business.

Our opinions differ in that I don't feel a need to give the local dealer an option to match. As I said earlier, I appreciate the offers extended by the online dealers, I appreciate how Saccucci Honda stood up to Honda to allow them to continue to sell Honda Care's at good prices to people around the country. And I want to do what I can to reward that.
    edited March 2010
    >".then I acted like she asked for counter-offer and told EW guy "she says wants $1,200 for deal, he said ok how about $1,250 which is $50 over cost? We agreed on 8 years and 120K for $1,250!"

Good job! :shades:

That seems to be a bit lower than Saccucci's "on-line" price!

>" I really do not know all details on what EW covers but for price paid...I can't go wrong. "

You got that right! For me, there would have been some entertainment and personal satisfaction factored in there. :)

I gotta remember that tactic! In effect the guy didn't have a clue as to what your "wife" or a friend or whomever is on the other end of the phone may or may not know. ;)

Also, congratulations to post 3255 and Post 3288 for your deals.

Kip
    he said ok how about $1,250 which is $50 over cost? We agreed on 8 years and 120K for $1,250!" That seems to be a bit lower than Saccucci's "on-line" price!

No it doesn't. I just got a quote from Saccucci this morning on a Crosstour Honda Care for 8 years, 120K and it was $1,080. They overpaid by $170.

The dealer that they bought it from, used one of the oldest tricks in the books, saying something was $50 over cost when the cost is really much lower. The buyer feels like he got one over on the dealer with his phone call trick. Meanwhile the dealer is still laughing on his way to the bank.

Also, congratulations to post 3255 and Post 3288 for your deals.

Why would you congratulate them?

Post 3255 got an HC on a Pilot, 8 year, 100K for $1,290. Online price was $1,190. They overpaid by $100.

Post 3288 got an HC on an Odyssey, 8 year, 100K for $1,350. Online price was $1,190. They overpaid by $160.

You seem to have become an advocate for buying from the local dealers. However, the people that you point to who went that route are spending more money and getting nothing extra in return.
  • trichardsontrichardson Member Posts: 28
    "Post 3288 got an HC on an Odyssey, 8 year, 100K for $1,350. Online price was $1,190. They overpaid by $160. "

I'll respond as that was me. First off, $160 is worth my time. By that I mean the time involved in me running around town asking the other dealers to beat the current one I went with. My time is extremely valuable and worth a lot and paying $160 to save wasted gas, time, headache and hassle is a steal. To me the savings isn't worth the effort. But if it is to you, good for you. And before you berate me for not trying to find it cheaper on-line the same argument applies. $160 is piddly and being able to knock it out at the time of sale is worthwhile to me. You see, I don't have anything tangible but I did get something in return.
    edited March 2010
    >"No it doesn't. I just got a quote from Saccucci this morning on a Crosstour Honda Care for 8 years, 120K and it was $1,080. They overpaid by $170."

Really?

From post 3281: "I just placed my order for a HCEW,,8/120k,$0 deductible for $1295 with Saccucci and I live in Georgia."

Poster 3281 just purchased from Saccucci for considerably more than, you say, you were quoted from the same people. Are you suggesting that Saccucci scamed 3281? :confuse:

Poster 3292 paid $45 less locally than Poster 3281 paid Saccucci. Yet you say 3292 over paid by $170. Then you must also be saying that 3281 overpaid Saccucci by $235.

>"Why would you congratulate them? "

Because I'm happy for them! I think they all got fair deals,.
    I suspect EW pricing will vary, depending on the vehicle and how it is equipped.

FWIW, I also suspect that no one will be able to find the "DEALS" that you do. ;)

>"You seem to have become an advocate for buying from the local dealers"

ABSOLUTELY, when the prices are as close as the posts under discussion.

And, you seem to be an advocate for supporting the "on-line" folks. GOOD FOR YOU. Next time you need service, take your vehicle to them.

Kip
    Well said! :)

Kip
  • jbg108jbg108 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm getting great help with the price I should pay for a new civic on another thread. I just contacted Sacucci and Hyannis Honda for prices on extended waranty's. Hyannis Honda quoted the same price through an automated email but when I called and talked with Bob, who was a gentleman, He said he is offering an additional $25 off. It's not much but it seems worth it to me.

Bob was super nice on the phone. I plan on buying my Civic this afternoon and buying the warranty tomorrow after I have the car.

Oh yea, another thing I like about Bob is that he takes information and payment over the phone instead of making you fill out forms online. I like the personal contact but that's just me.

By the way, I'm at $19,900 for a Civic EX-L and feel pretty good about it. I'm going after another couple hundred this after noon. Wish me luck.
    Poster 3281 just purchased from Saccucci for considerably more than, you say, you were quoted from the same people. Are you suggesting that Saccucci scamed 3281?

Absolutely not! I'm stating that poster 3281 didn't state what kind of vehicle that he is buying the Honda Care for. Post 3295 clearly stated that he was purchasing a Honda Care Crosstour for $1,250. The online quote on that from Saccucci is $1,080. The "negotiating" technique that you complimented led to the person paying $170 more to the dealer than they needed to. Those are the facts. You can contact Saccucci yourself to verify the information.

It's likely that poster 3281 was purchasing a HC for either a Pilot or an Odyssey as $1,295 is the online price for a 8 year 120K price for those vehicles.

Poster 3292 paid $45 less locally than Poster 3281 paid Saccucci. Yet you say 3292 over paid by $170. Then you must also be saying that 3281 overpaid Saccucci by $235.

Again, your attention to detail is lacking. HC pricing varies depending on the model of vehicle that you buy. Instead of doing the actual research, you're trying to compare pricing for two different vehicles as though they are the same when they're not.

I suspect EW pricing will vary, depending on the vehicle and how it is equipped.

This is another incorrect statement. HC pricing does not vary based on the trim level of the vehicle or how it is equipped. It only differs based upon the model. That's what makes an HC purchase a really good buy if you purchase it on a vehicle that is one of the upper trim levels.

FWIW, I also suspect that no one will be able to find the "DEALS" that you do.

Please, don't suggest that I post inaccurate information. Anybody can find those prices by going to some of the sites that I have mentioned earlier like Saccucci or Hyannis. If you doubt the validity, then go to the sites yourself and ask for quotes.

I'm trying to assist people in getting the best pricing on Honda Care. If they take my advice, they can do that. If people want to follow your suggestion and pay more money to their local dealers, they are free to do that too. It's their money.

But if you make future statements that local deals were better than the online pricing, when in fact they are not, I will continue to correct that information.
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2010
    jet10000 and kipk

Hey Guys, let's let it go, okay? You both value different aspects of the HCEW and the online availability of the product for pricing or purchasing. Both of you are right with respect to your own views, and you have stated them many times back and forth. This forum is great for first time buyers/inquirers, but if they have to filter through a pissing fight over two valid points then it detracts from the valuable information posted here. Same could be said for the cheerleading, though I appreciate congratulating one another.
  • 1headlight1headlight Member Posts: 24
    I have compared my local dealership with "online" competitors and found that one can find substantial savings on a EW.

Curry Honda in MA is one that I have found. This one is mentioned here, who are the others and what are your experiences???
    Curry Honda in MA is one that I have found. This one is mentioned here, who are the others and what are your experiences???

A list of some of them can be found in post 3253.

As for experiences, they just process your payment and the paperwork comes from the same corporate office as it would if you bought it at your local dealer. After that, you can use it at any Honda dealer in the country.
    2 cents

Saccucci Honda - they are the ones fighting Honda re: internet sales of HC EWs. Please check their price and consider purchasing from them. I had a flawless experience with them. I needed to ask some questions, called them, and they set me right at ease.

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

You can also check out Bernardi

http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/

Good luck.
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    I also recommend Saccucci Honda. I bought my Honda Care contract from them at a very competetive price, and everything went perfectly.
  • jbg108jbg108 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks. I did buy the car that day for $19,750. I feel good about the deal. I also purchased the Honda Care from Hyannis Honda at what they said was their cost minus $25. WOW!!

Bob at Hyannis Honda said they sell them cheap online to make money on an incentive program through Honda. He said they get checks periodically from Honda based on there total sales of waranties.

Oh yea, I was going to pay cash but ended up financing half for 2.9%. At that rate why not right.
  • madscientistmadscientist Member Posts: 10
    I too have saved myself buying from Saccucci. They where great! I emailed them my question and had a reply within a few hours! I bought the five year hundred thousand miles deal for $820.00 they also gave me a code worth $25.00 off when I place an order for parts.

BUT, I just tried this and it did not work. I emailed Saccucci for help and received a email saying they have no record of this and there second reply to my question said they would look into it, but its has been over five days now with no reply.

So I can’t recommend Saccucci anymore. Yes the deal on the warranty worked with no problems, but trying to use the code they gave me and to try to give them more of money to support them as fallen on deaf ears.
  • piloteeerpiloteeer Member Posts: 1
    New Pilot owner here... :lemon: read thru tons of posts to get buying advice before I purchased. I think jet100000 is a little too biased for these "online" HC retailers... buyers just beware. If things seem too good to be true, there may be a reason. Jet and a few others have far too many posts in support of these "retailers". Snake in the grass?
    There are pros and cons to either buying situation, but putting cyanide in the well water isn't that reasonable either (simply protesting against online purchase because others advocate it strongly). Sorry if you had a bad experience, but others have had good ones. Again, if one simply uses the quotes to get a better deal locally, and they value buying local over the internet then great! If they prefer the lowest price and can't get it from local dealer, then the internet dealer is for them. Whichever works for the individual buyer, but please don't make blanket statements suggesting that one camp is suspect becuase one person advocates it strongly.

Please do provide your own personal experience! Thanks.
    Are you throwing the baby out with the bath water here? In other words, you did receive a good price on the HC EW, and were satisfied with that component of the deal? Absolutely you should get full satisfaction regarding the deal you made with Saccucci, including the $25 off, and if you still want that deal you should talk to an owner at Saccucci. They are a family run operation, and I think are therefore both able to respond quickly to an urgent customer and perhaps more prone to lapses by employees other than the owners.

I would be surprised if Saccucci doesn't monitor this website. I too have a coupon for $25 that I haven't used from them, so I am interested in how this works out. Please keep the forum posted on your results regarding this issue.

Thanks.
  • madscientistmadscientist Member Posts: 10
    The person I emailed for help was Gardiner Reynolds. I then emailed the parts people a Kim Gray and still no reply. Yes the deal was good saved me a lot of $$$ But still very disappointed with Saccucci. The twenty-five dollars is not going to break me but it’s the principle of the thing.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Upon purchasing my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupe I was offered Honda Care and declined from the dealership where I purchased the car just out of habit.

A few months later I did some research online and ended up purchasing an 8 year, 120,000 mile warranty from Bernardi Honda for around $ 1000 minus a 30.00 gift card to Bernardi parts and accessories.

I wasn't intending to purchase an extended warranty at all because, after all, it's a Honda :D but I ended up purchasing one about a month before Honda forbid dealers from selling Honda Care online.

All in all, It was a quick and easy transaction.
    edited March 2010
    I think jet100000 is a little too biased for these "online" HC retailers I think jet100000 is a little too biased for these "online" HC retailers

No bias. It's just a presentation of factual information of specific pricing from specific dealers which tend to be lower than other dealers.

You said you made a purchase. Why not share the specifics so that others could get a good deal like you presumably did? Who did you buy from and what price did you get?

You're throwing out some generalized innuendos that don't add anything to this discussion. You're trying to cast some sort of suspicion without any facts.

If you had a different experience feel free to share it. Multiple people have stated they had good experiences in purchasing from dealers mentioned in this forum. And they have stated this over a period of YEARS. I know because I have been posting here that long. Prior to that I was a reader who learned how to get a good deal from others who posted before me.

I simply give good advice for people who want to save money on Honda Care. Don't suggest any dishonesty or deception on my part or on certified Honda dealers' parts who sell Honda Care. You have zero evidence of that.
    I bought the five year hundred thousand miles deal for $820.00 they also gave me a code worth $25.00 off when I place an order for parts. BUT, I just tried this and it did not work. I emailed Saccucci for help and received a email saying they have no record of this

No record? Did you receive the code by email? If so, you should just be able to forward the email back to them? Find out who to forward your email to by calling the number listed on their website:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/contact_us.php

It should be simple for them to sort out.
    >"Hey Guys, let's let it go, okay? You both value different aspects of the HCEW and the online availability of the product for pricing or purchasing.Both of you are right with respect to your own views, and you have stated them many times back and forth."

I agree! Thanks for the reality check.
    I finished my part of the "Discussion" with my post 3298.

>" Same could be said for the cheerleading, though I appreciate congratulating one another."

Me too!, even though the outcome may or may not have been the same as mine. :)

Thanks again,
    Kip
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    This HCEW just covers exactly what is covered under the standard 3/36k and the5/60k powertrain?
    This HCEW just covers exactly what is covered under the standard 3/36k and the5/60k powertrain?

No. You should check out a sample contract to review the coverage.

http://www.hyannishondacare.com/contract.php

Also, the Honda Care includes roadside assistance from the time you buy it, including during the time period that the standard warranty is still in effect.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    $0, of course. ;)
  • dolphin1dolphin1 Member Posts: 11
    Just wanted to send out a thanks for all the advice given on HCEW pricing here. I just signed up for the EW on my 2010 Civic today and used the pricing mentioned here to leverage a really fair price from my local Honda dealer. I decided to support my local (place of purchase) dealer rather than an out-of-state dealer for my contract.

Happy hunting
    edited March 2010
    >" I decided to support my local (place of purchase) dealer rather than an out-of-state dealer for my contract."

Congratulations! Good job. :)

Civics are truly fun cars to drive, get great fuel mileage if you do your part, and seem to last forever. With the HCEW you will have piece of mind. :shades:

Kip
  • calijakecalijake Member Posts: 2
    I'm closing a new 2010 Pilot EX-L w/Res today. Any guidance on what I should pay on a Honda Care Plan for 8 yr/120K?
    Any guidance on what I should pay on a Honda Care Plan for 8 yr/120K?

I'm assuming from your nickname that you're located in California. If so, a lot of online dealers won't sell to California. At last I checked this one does:

http://www.curryhondacare.com/

You can get a quote from them.
  • calijakecalijake Member Posts: 2
    From California, but I'm in Texas.

I'd rather buy it from the dealer from whom I'm buying the car, but I wanted a basis upon which to negotiate.
    From California, but I'm in Texas.

Oh, in that case, you can check out:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

or

http://www.hyannishondacare.com/

They should have the best pricing.
    >"I'd rather buy it from the dealer from whom I'm buying the car, but I wanted a basis upon which to negotiate"

I'm with you. I'd rather do business at one place as a package deal.

I'm thinking it helps to keep the dealer in business where I might need him, and the money stays local.

The "online" dealer links above can give you prices you can use for your basis, as you negotiate with your dealer.

Armed with "On Line" prices you have options when dealing with your finance man. Two come to mind:

1- Tell him you can buy the EW from "On Line" folks at a particular price or you can buy from him at the same price. It is his call.

2- Have some fun and offer a price far below, as he offered far above.
    Example: Your research may say you can get it for $1100 on line. He tries to sell it to you for $2200, which is robbery, and he knows it. You counter offer (look serious) at say $300. Now it is his job to get you up to a realistic price. Keep in mind he probably knows what you can do "on line", although he won't tell you.

This type negotiating is also helpful with financing, the true value of your trade, and the purchasing price of the new car. Just know all your numbers before you drive onto the lot. If the dealer "thinks" he knows up front that you are planning to do "ALL" business through him, he feels he has lots of opportunity to take your money.

I like to lead off with something like, "Gosh I haven't gotten a new car in years, not sure I can do this. I know what I need for my trade, but I don't know what financing cost are anymore, or the cost of EW, or if the window sticker is Etched in stone."

Then the fun begins! Up front, They might give you your price for your trade, knowing they will make up for it with the other transactions. Keep in mind that usually the "Car" dealings are done on the showroom floor. Once you are satisfied with that, the deal is done, they won't change their minds. . Then you go to the finance man in his office, for EW, financing, and some of the add on accessories. Don't discuss any of "His" stuff on the show room floor. Let them continue to think he is going to rip you a new one! :surprise:

Good luck,
    Kip
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    Back in August of 2009 we bought a new Odyssey and Honda Care from the local selling dealer. I had a printed price list from one of the online sellers in my pocket .When the F&I guy quoted over $2300 for a third party EW and also for Honda Care when I requested it. I showed him the online quote of $1235 and after a while agreed to match it.

If I had a chance to do this over again I would buy directly from the online dealer.If not for a few of these dealers providing real competion for your local dealer no one would be able to get more than a small discount or no discount on Honda Care.
    I regret rewarding the dealer that tried to gouge me for full list and not rewarding a dealer that offered the best price upfront with no hassle.
  • dogstar23dogstar23 Member Posts: 4
    Just the other day purchased a Pilot AWD Touring with Nav/RES and the finance guy offered the 5 year 100,000 bumper to bumper for $2,000 and then when we were going to walk lowered it to $1,200 which he said was his cost.
    dogstar23 wrote: Pilot AWD Touring with Nav/RES and the finance guy offered the 5 year 100,000 bumper to bumper for $2,000 and then when we were going to walk lowered it to $1,200 which he said was his cost.

His cost was actually much less than $1,200. You can get a Honda Care for a Pilot online, 5 year, 100K, for $750.

jwm40517 wrote: If I had a chance to do this over again I would buy directly from the online dealer.If not for a few of these dealers providing real competion for your local dealer no one would be able to get more than a small discount or no discount on Honda Care.

I totally agree!
  • fei2010fei2010 Member Posts: 10
    Is rust covered by Honda warranty? My Odyssey 2010 is 3 month old and the exhaust pipe is all covered by rust now.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Is rust covered by Honda warranty? My Odyssey 2010 is 3 month old and the exhaust pipe is all covered by rust now.

Are you sure it is rust? Can you wipe it off with a shop towel or anything? Rust is usually developed inside the muffler first. :confuse:
  • avalanche08avalanche08 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if online EW can be purchased for FL drivers? Most of the online sites mentioned here don't provide coverage for the state of FL. Any suggestions?
  • goblue05goblue05 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 8 yr / 120k mile $0 deductible warranty from Bob for my Civic for $965. Smooth transaction and no tricks.

I had bought an Acura Care warranty through another online dealer awhile back and it was also a good simple transaction. Cannot complain about most of these online Honda dealers. They offer a good price and fast transaction. They probably make their money on mass quantity so that's why they offer such good prices.
  • tandoritandori Member Posts: 5
    Hi:
    My husband and I purchased a honda crv 2010 last december, and many of the parts are rusted, including the brakes and rotors. Dealor has agreed to replace brakes, but not all the other rusted parts. You should have your car checked thoroughly by an independent mechanic for rust. I have heard from at least 2 other 2010 Honda owners with the same problem.
  • tandoritandori Member Posts: 5
    fei2010: Email me at [email protected] for details on the rust problems we are having with our 2010 CRV. let's compare notes.