Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• hemlock87hemlock87 Member Posts: 10
    I was offered $630 for a Honda Care 7yr / 80k $0 deductible warranty for a 2011 Accord SE. Is this a good price to go with? Thanks.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Get a quote from one of the online dealers like:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

See what price they'll give you. It's the same Honda Care no matter where you buy it from...
  • moncmonc Member Posts: 1
    Last week, we bought an Odyssey that has 44,000 miles on it. In retrospect, we probably should have found a van with less than 36,000, so we could buy a Honda Care extended warranty, but since we didn't -- I'd appreciate getting any input of the best extended warranties available that aren't Honda Care.

Our dealer offered a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, but it's only rated a "B" on one of the sites.
  • jeet1jeet1 Member Posts: 1
    I have Honda Care for 120k miles / 8 years. Just this week I took the car to Auto West Honda of Fremont for the second time to ask them to fix the issue with the transmission. The manual transmission does not always shift into the the third gear smoothly.

The first time when I took the car in the mechanical advisor was not able to reproduce the problem. The second time we were able to. However, Auto West Honda of Fremont service center came back and said that American Honda wants me to bear the cost of the tear down for the transmission which is north of $2,000. I am stumped. What do I do?

My car is extremely well maintained and attended to by this dealership, but they refuse to do anything unless I approve this expense.
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    1. If you have not been in direct contact with American Honda, call them directly (without going through your dealer) to determine the case number for the claim filed by your dealer and then ask for a detailed explanation for the denial of your warranty work (ask them to site the contract provisions they are relying on to require you to pay for the tear-down - get it in writing).

2. If American Honda has no idea what you are talking about, thank them and hang up (or jump to 4).

3. Call your dealer, speak with the highest up you can, and ask them to provide in writing the reason for the denial of warranty claim, citing the provisions in your contract.

4. Call back American Honda and file a claim for the work, as well as a claim against the dealer (if this is appropriate).

All this can be done in writing (that's how I would do it, though it slows things down), with copy's sent to your state attorney general (most AG offices have a consumer protection department).

Please keep this forum up to speed on what comes of your transmission/warranty issue, as all of us that own a Honda Care contract are vested in it being honored.

All the best,
    mkielm
    However, Auto West Honda of Fremont service center came back and said that American Honda wants me to bear the cost of the tear down for the transmission which is north of $2,000. I am stumped. What do I do?

Honda Care allows you to take the car into any Honda dealer. I would find another dealer in the area with an upscale service department and take the car there for the same issue. Some dealers are more competent at getting claims approved by American Honda than others are.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    edited January 2011
    Is the car under the 8 year and 120K mile limit?
    Are they saying they think abuse caused the issue?
    Can't they swap out the entire transmission as a whole unit for far less labor than "tearing down" the manual transmission?

Something isn't making sense. It is very hard to believe they told you that with zero explanation of why American Honda "wants" you to cover that cost. Why?? There has to be more to this.
  • thebradthebrad Member Posts: 36
    Since you did not say what kind of car you have i am going to assume you are talking about the 6 speed manual in the civic Si. This is a VERY well known problem relating to this car.....you can read more up here: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/67907-civic-si- -trans-problems-petition.html">link title

There are countless people documenting the same problem and Honda has issued a TSB to fix the issue. Hope this helps.
  • dano51dano51 Member Posts: 10
    Just purchashed a 2008 honda accord lx-p 4cyl with 11,000 miles Finance guy wants to sell a vehicle service contract from Zurich he states 8 year 100,000 miles for $852.00 zero deductible. Am I better off with a Honda Care Need some help before I go back tomorrow from you experts Thanks

dano
    Has the vehicle been in service for less than 3 years? If so go to myhondawarranty.com and get a price for a Honda Care if you want to compare.
  • kayceebeekayceebee Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I looked through many pages of this thread. It started way back on 2002 I believe, and the most thorough Honda Care prices seem to be fairly dated. I wondered if people have 2011 quotes on the Honda Care - 8/125,000/0 package? I checked at http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/ and they have quoted $960.00. I emailed a couple other places that I saw on the list such as Moss Honda of Lafayette, Louisiana, and am waiting for replies. I appreciate this thread, and all who have kept it going. Much thanks in advance.
  • jackie777jackie777 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jet10000:

I think it is good price. Please tell me where did you get it since I am also shopping for an extended warantee.

Thanks.
    Please tell me where did you get it since I am also shopping for an extended warantee.

Here are some websites you can look at:

http://www.hyannishondacare.com/
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Do you know why I can't seem to order a 5 year (8 total) HC for my 2008 S2000? The web sites SHOW plans up to 8 total years, but the plans I am being offered are all 36 month add on plans (for 72 month total). Since the new car powertrain warranty is 60 months already, buying HC only adds 1year to the powertrain and 3 to the rest of the car (what is covered, that is).
    Do you know why I can't seem to order a 5 year (8 total) HC for my 2008 S2000?

To get the 8 year Honda Care you have to buy it within the first 6,000 miles the vehicle is in service. After that, you can only get add-on plans and those decrease in availability as the vehicles approaches 3 years, 36K.

So with a 2008, apparently the only Honda Care you can get is a 3 year add on.
    If I say I have a 2009 then I can buy a 4 year add on, but that is a false difference since the car would have gone in service 1 year (or so) later. Looks like the bottom line is after the first 6 months (or 1 year?) and 6k miles the max you can buy is a total of 6 years - just one additional power train year and three additional "whatever else is covered by HC".

For my car, the price for such short duration additional may not be worth the high price...
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2011
    Starting March 1st you will be able to get up to 5 additional years on a 2008, and 2009 Honda.
    Thanks for the info, sounds like I need to go online tomorrow and get some new quotes.
  • accmanaccman Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a new 2011 Honda Accord EX-L V4, and now I am wondering whether I should buy an extended warranty. My salesperson told me that I can buy extended warranty any time as long as the car is still within factory warranty, which is 3yr/36000mile. Should I buy the extended warranty now or at the end of the factory warranty (3 years later)?
    I read through this discussion, and it seems that Honda Care with 0 deductible is highly recommended compared to other 3-rd party warranty or 100-deductible honda care. Does everybody agrees with this? Thanks!
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    Be careful, while it may be true that you can purchase an extended warranty, from some 3rd party companies even long after your initial manufacturers warranty expires, to get an HC new car extended warranty you must purchase before the care is 6 months old and has less than 6,000 miles.
    Most dealers will sell a 3rd party warranty, but that is not Honda Care.
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    You can purchase Honda Care while your vehicle is still under factory warranty. There is no 6 month/6,000 mile period, unless that's a change in the last 6 months or so. Lots of the online Honda dealers will screen for eligibility as part of their quoting process. Check out my post 3454 and related posts for references to online options. I *think* the way Honda Care used to work was that it was an addendum to the end of the factory warranty period, but now it becomes effective at time of purchase, and therefore will overlay whatever factory warranty period remains.
    My salesperson told me that I can buy extended warranty any time as long as the car is still within factory warranty, which is 3yr/36000mile. Should I buy the extended warranty now or at the end of the factory warranty (3 years later)?

Yes, you can buy an extended warranty within the factory warranty. However, during the first 6,000 miles, is when you have the greatest options and choices as to a Honda Care. You can buy a 7 year 100K or ab 8 year 120K for example and shorter time periods. You can get a quote from myhondawarranty.com and see your choices.

After 6,000 miles, the terms available decrease and the prices increase. When you get close to the 3 year, 36,000 miles, you usually have the fewest choices available and the pricing is higher.

If you want to see a real example of this, get a second quote for a vehicle that's a couple of years old and is approaching 36,000 miles and you'll see there's a big difference as to what will be available.

Thus, I always recommend getting the Honda Care from one of the online dealers in the first 6,000 miles. In addition, the included roadside assistance goes into effect immediately when you do so.
    edited March 2011
    Thank you guys for all the info!

I am thinking between 7yr/80k and 8yr/100k. I use my car for commuting to school everyday, which is about 8miles away. So I think I won't make those miles in both plans, but only limited by plan time. What factors should people consider when they are choosing plan time/mileage? Thanks!

BTW, Saccucci gave me quotes of $630 for 7yr/80k and $905 for 8yr/100k, so there is 275 dollar difference for 1 more year and 20k more miles coverage.
  • danamal13danamal13 Member Posts: 14
    I did not purchase an extended warranty on my new purchase but now that the deal is over (just took delivery last week) I am starting to consider one.
    Buying an extended warranty only interests me if it is bumper to bumper and through Honda exclusively and if it is an option still open to me in what price range should I expect to pay for one?
    Miles aren't a concern length is the determining factor and of course price.
    I am thinking between 7yr/80k and 8yr/100k. I use my car for commuting to school everyday, which is about 8miles away.

Keep in mind that if you sell your car and the Honda Care is still valid, you can get a prorated refund for the unused time or mileage (whichever is less.)

So if you think you might need the longer coverage, you can always get it and then get a refund if you sell the vehicle earlier.
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    As Jet said , there is a difference, after 6 months / 6K miles you have less options, so if you want all the options available with a real HC EW then you must purchase within that time and milage. You can however purchase from other 3rd parties, and in that case "buyer be ware" is the advice. some good some bad and not all honored in all service locations by all dealers.
    Thanks, jet and avalon,

I decide to go for a 7yr/80k Honda care. Is $605 a good price?
    Is $605 a good price?

I don't think you're going to find it for much lower than that.
  • danamal13danamal13 Member Posts: 14
    That seems to be an excellent price for that warranty,where are you getting the warranty itself from the dealer after purchase?,Honda directly? I would really like to know because at those prices I am definitely interested in purchasing one myself,any help is appreciated.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Call or email the following for price quotes - they have among the lowest prices on Honda Care - and bernardi offers an interest free 12 month pymt plan.

http://www.saccuccihonda.com/
    http://www.bernardihonda.com/
  • pricewpricew Member Posts: 18
    Hyannis Honda beat both bernardi and saccucci for my odyssey 2011

http://www.hyannishonda.com/index.htm

Ask for Bob Leab
  • rajtxrajtx Member Posts: 1
    What prices did Hyannis quote you for 2011 Honda Odyssey. Are you getting 7year /100,000 or 8yr/120,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty from honda care
    I got it from Bob Leab at http://www.hyannishondacare.com/.
    I just checked, and it looks like 60 months (total) plan is still is the longest plan in months I can buy for a 2008 S2000.
    I just checked, and it looks like 60 months (total) plan is still is the longest plan in months I can buy for a 2008 S2000.

Right, that's what he said. When you have a vehicle that's almost 3 years old (like a 2008 model) you can now get an additional 5 years of coverage from when you purchase the Honda Care.

From the Saccucci website it says: "All "F" and "G" plans start at contract purchase date(Vehicles over 6,000 miles). " So the 5 years start when you buy it.
  • fixitdaddy1fixitdaddy1 Member Posts: 14
    Generally, an extended warranty, to take advantage of the price, should be puchased, when the vehicle is new; from Honda. It's a little more than your local credit union, but, the deductible differences, and the quality of coverage, more than justifies it! :)
  • f2000saf2000sa Member Posts: 5
    My concern with Honda care is that it requires that you perform the maintenance service at dealership (or other places) according to Honda's schedule. Will DIY service (like oil change etc) void your warranty? (how do you prove that you did the service? etc).
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IIRC, you are not required to maintain your vehicle at the dealer to maintain the warranty coverage. You will however be required to maintain to the schedule the manufacturer states.

How to prove you did the service, keep receipts for parts and a log that it was done.
    Not just Honda Care, but any new car warranty or extended warranty (service contract) will require you maintain the car properly or risk voiding the warranty. By federal law they can't compel you to pay a dealer for the maintenance, but as user robr2 says you need to use the proper parts and fluids and keep your receipts and notes when the service was done.
  • pricewpricew Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2011
    Sorry I was travelling so answer is delayed. I got the 7 year 80000 mile coverage .

Here is the quote
    The following chart includes all the Honda Care coverage plans that are available for a
    2011 Honda Odyssey with 10 miles.
    Coverage Level $0 Deductible $100 Deductible
    3 years/45000 miles $285.00 Not Available
    4 years/60000 miles $440.00 Not Available
    5 years/60000 miles $450.00 Not Available
    5 years/80000 miles $605.00 $500.00
    5 years/100000 miles $725.00 $620.00
    6 years/80000 miles $670.00 $565.00
    6 years/100000 miles $880.00 $775.00
    6 years/120000 miles $990.00 $885.00
    7 years/80000 miles $765.00 $660.00
    7 years/100000 miles $1,085.00 $980.00
    7 years/120000 miles $1,195.00 $1,090.00
    8 years/100000 miles $1,165.00 $1,060.00
    8 years/120000 miles $1,270.00 $1,165.00
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    No contact info, please.

The Forums aren't meant to be used to generate sales - just to provide information. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• yelnats2933yelnats2933 Member Posts: 1
    get a BMW. the warranty is great
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    """"get a BMW. the warranty is great""""

And you'll get to use that Warranty multiple times per year with the BMW too ! :shades:
  • obewanobewan Member Posts: 8
    Currently considering a purchase on a 2011 EXL Odyssey with RES. Extended warranty for us is a must. Dealer quoted 6 year / 100K for $1,695 and 8 year / 120K for $1,995. Sounds high to us. Any better prices, we may buy in the next week.
  • jwallsjwalls Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2011
    When I bought my new pilot, it was suggested to me from another member to send out emails for quotes from dealers across the area/state. Its really no big deal for the dealers other than a little paperwork. I was quoted from the dealer I bought my car from almost 2K for a extended warranty. The forum member said their cost was roughly $950. So I sent out about 6 quote request around California saying I was willing to pay no more than $950...well, out of 6, I recieved 2 dealers that were willing to do it (both in Southern Cal, Im in Central Cal). Sent them a check and they sent me my warranty. Might want to look into that.

Jim
    Just go to one of the online site like:

They'll email you out a quote that will likely be much less than what your dealer quoted. it's the same Honda Care and will work at any Honda dealership. It will just cost you less. You don't have to buy the Honda Care next week even if that's when you're buying the car.
    Thanks, I sent an email. Will let you know what they come back with.
  • tealgsrb17a1tealgsrb17a1 Member Posts: 5
    I had purchased a 2011 Honda Odyssey EXL RES from Stockton Honda in California for $33,000 (destination $780 included) + TTL. No problems so far. Where can I purchase an extended warranty that covers wear and tear as well for my Odyssey? So far, all the extended warranties that I've had seen and read about only covers mechanical breakdown, but when a mechanical breakdown happens, it is very hard to determine whether the breakdown was a result of a defect or wear and tear and this is how a lot of insurance companies that sells these MBI policies are getting away from not paying for the claims because they just blame the breakdown on a wear and tear part. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    it is very hard to determine whether the breakdown was a result of a defect or wear and tear and this is how a lot of insurance companies that sells these MBI policies are getting away from not paying for the claims because they just blame the breakdown on a wear and tear part.

I've only had Honda Care, so I can't speak for the others. But I haven't had any problems with excuses claims on Honda Care. Usually the dealership is eager to do the work because it's money for their service department. So it's my experience that they work with you to get everything corrected.
    Received the quote and it was $700 cheaper vs my local dealer for a 8yr/120K warranty. Thanks for the info, well worth the effort.

Local dealer = $1,995
    Website = $1,295