Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• yossi2yossi2 Member Posts: 1
    36 months lease on accord is over in january, care has 22k miles. Honda said I could extend my lease, I am thinking about extending it for 6 months while I save up to buy a car. My only concern is that the warranty will be expired, since it will be 36 months. They said I could buy an extended care warranty from any honda dealer.

my question is:

1. with 22k miles on it, and plans to keep it for 6 months, do I need a warranty?
    2. Can I even buy 6 months of warranty and what will it costs? I have no interest in buying a 5-8 year plan, which is what it looks like they sell.
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    Did you have any major problems with the car so far? Highly doubt something big will come up in the next 6 months since you only have 22k miles on it (remember that powertrain warranty is still there to cover the engine/trans for 5yr/60k miles) so I wouldnt worry about trying to buy warranty just for 6 months
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Can I even buy 6 months of warranty and what will it costs? I have no interest in buying a 5-8 year plan, which is what it looks like they sell.

What you can do is buy the shortest plan they have. If you sell your car in 6 months, then you'll be able to get a pro-rated refund for the unused time/mileage.
  • kenkenkenken Member Posts: 21
    Check Sacucci, Hyannis or Gardena Honda (google) for best prices, but at 22K, I don't think you are taking much of a risk over the next 6-months. Life is a risk vs reward proposition. Your local Honda dealer will probably be VERY expensive compared to the others on the HondaCare Warranty.
  • cape_mancape_man Member Posts: 1
    If you are looking for a great price on a Honda Care Warranty in northern California, I recommend Berkeley Honda. They charged me $1090 for an 8 year / 120k / zero- deductible Honda Care Warranty for a 2012 Honda Civic.
  • loumdxloumdx Member Posts: 2
    Just bought the EXL over the weekend. should we buy the warranty right now or wait for after 3 years of manufacturer warranty expire? the finance guy said that if we wait the premium will go higher because it consider it's used car. hum, make sense?
    Yes, over 6000 miles the premium goes up because it is no longer considered a new vehicle. I got my HondaCare 8-year 120k miles for my 2011 EX-L through Hyannis Honda (I live in Arizona) for $1270.
    Just bought the EXL over the weekend. should we buy the warranty right now or wait for after 3 years of manufacturer warranty expire?

Actually if you wait until after the manufacturer warranty expires you won't be able to buy it at all. You can buy it right before it expires buy you won't be able to get 8 year 120K at that point. As the last post said you need to buy it before the car hits 6,000 or 1 year to get that.

The other advantage about buying it early is that you get the included roadside assistance during the first 3 years.
    Its within 6 months or 6k miles (not 1yr/6k mi) for it to be still considered a "new car"

If you want to extend it after that then you'll need to do it before your factory warranty expires (before 3yr/36k mi)
  • minivannewbieminivannewbie Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys, about to get a Odyssey touring 36mo lease with 15K/ miles a year. Given standard warranty is 36/36K should I get the extended warranty to cover to the 45K mark?

I've never leased before.

thanks!
  • shelbymadisonshelbymadison Member Posts: 8
    Hi all & thanks for your feedback/suggestions/comments!

We are considering purchasing the Honda Cares extended warranty (8 years/120k miles) on a used 2010 Honda Pilot 2WD Touring model with 25,300 miles. Any thoughts? Is this program worth it, is it good warranty, do they try to exclude you to death when repairs are needed? What is reasonable to pay for it? Do these models really need it/have a history of needing lots of costly repairs? Thank you so much for any help at all - I only have about 1 1/2 days to decide. :)
    I would suggest you call Hyannis Honda and discuss it with their HondaCare Warranty guy. I bought mine from Hyannis as they were "straight up", answered all my questions with factual answers (not just listed the good parts) and were the cheapest on the block for the 8yr/120k mile Odyssey HondaCare warranty I wanted. I will say that I contacted many others and was most satisfied with my choice.

Bottom line...no warranty is perfect and Honda makes such a great car you may never need it (it's always a risk/reward proposition) but you also buy insurance for the accident you may never have and for the house fire you may never experience!
  • samcosamco Member Posts: 20
    I called American Honda 800-999-1009 - they confirmed saccuccihondacare.com is legit - they have the best prices.

Just go to the source and confirm for your self (American Honda)

saccuccihondacare's prices were $700 less than what I got from the best dealer around here (chi town)
    Anyone know if I can buy the Honda Cares EW out of state or online since I live in Louisiana? I'm worried about worried about coverage, sales paying tax on it and any potential complications? Thank you!!
    In researching HondaCare warranty pricing from many dealers last June, including Saccucci Honda, Hyannis Honda was about $25 less. Lowest price available on all others including Saccucci for 8/120k, $0 deductible, on a new 2011 Odyssey EX-L, was $1295...Hyannis Honda was $1270.

Yes, you can buy Honda Care warranty out of state. It is a Honda Factory warranty and regardless which Honda dealer from which it is purchased, it is good nationwide. I live in Arizona and bought my HC EW from a Honda authorized dealer in Massachusetts.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You should be fine. Florida (AFAIK) is the only state with laws requiring you buy your warranty in-state. Just buy genuine Hondacare from a real Honda dealer (many mentioned in this forum) and you should be fine. The HC plan attaches to your VIN in the service computer so any dealer anywhere and see you have it and honor it.
    Thank you all for your responses & advice! Upon getting some quotes for the HC plan from your suggestions, we were just contacted by the dealer we purchased our used 2010 Pilot from asking if we had changed our mind and were interested in purchasing HC plan from them after all. Told them they are nowhere near the quotes we found elsewhere and asked them if they were willing to match the prices we found. They proceeded to tell us that they didn't think we could purchase HC Plan from anyone else unless it was a new car purchase or the HC Plan was purchased with the purchase of the used vehicle. Now I'm really concerned & totally confused... Is there a time limit on purchasing a Honda Care Plan from any authorized Honda dealer for used vehicles (even if they're within the 3 years/36,000 miles)? Thanks for your replies!! :)
    How in the world can you believe this dealer BS when your dealership has already tried to get you to buy an HC plan from them at inflated prices on your used Pilot???

You can buy up to an 8yr/120k HC extended warranty with either a $0 deductible or a $100 deductible from either your gouging dealer, Saccucci, Hyanis or elsewhere as long as they are an authorized Honda Dealership.

The following service plans are available for your 2010 Honda Pilot (25,300 miles). Simply click on the select button to view the desired plan. PLANS AND CODES ARE LISTED BELOW!

Hey, I have an idea, why don't you simply call Saccucci and/or Hyannis, discuss this with them and get an honest answer...and then report your dealer to Honda for lying to you about the availability of HC plans for you vehicle! IT IS TIME FOR A LITTLE COMMON SENSE...

All "C" and "D" plans start at the original in-service date, and 0 miles(Vehicles under 6,000 miles).

All "F" and "G" plans start at contract purchase date(Vehicles over 6,000 miles).

$0 Deductible Plans
    Plan code G38
    36 months
    80k miles

Plan code G30
    36 months
    100k miles

Plan code G32
    36 months
    120k miles

Plan code G48
    48 months
    80k miles

Plan code G40
    48 months
    100k miles

Plan code G42
    48 months
    120k miles

Plan code G58
    60 months
    80k miles

Plan code G50
    60 months
    100k miles

Plan code G52
    60 months
    120k miles

$100 Deductible Plans
    Plan code F38
    36 months
    80k miles

Plan code F30
    36 months
    100k miles

Plan code F32
    36 months
    120k miles

Plan code F48
    48 months
    80k miles

Plan code F40
    48 months
    100k miles

Plan code F42
    48 months
    120k miles

Plan code F50
    60 months
    100k miles

Plan code F52
    60 months
    120k miles

Plan code F58
    60 months
    80k miles
    Thank you for your kind reply (that's sarcasm in case you missed it). We tried to call Bob at Hyannis this weekend but were told he is off until tomorrow due to the holiday. I posted on here again for some more consumer insight, support and assurance since we are uncomfortable getting conflicting information from a supposed professional - so sue me for using this resource. From now on, if you don't like my posts or questions, don't read them and certainly don't answer them.
    They proceeded to tell us that they didn't think we could purchase HC Plan from anyone else unless it was a new car purchase or the HC Plan was purchased with the purchase of the used vehicle.

They were just saying that because they didn't want to lose the sale. You can buy the Honda Care from whichever dealer you want. It's the same service agreement and it is mailed to you from the same Honda corporate office. Each dealer, however, can charge whatever price they want. So your local dealers charge more than others.

A previous poster listed what plans are available for your vehicle.

I'm not sure what other questions you have. As you can see this thread, is quite long and many people have successfully purchased their Honda Care through dealers like saccuccihondacare.com.
    Sarcasm or not (it needs a little work) you have been given the information 10 different ways and yet you refuse to believe the "resource". You have been given, repeatedly, "insight, support and assurance" and yet you seemingly refuse to believe it, believing instead, a dealer who is trying to gouge you. Amusingly, you found this resource and yet you can't find any of the other presented to you which is readily available on the internet or a reputable dealer.

It's not that I don't like your questions, it's that the repetitiveness of the has become boring. It appears that you are the most cynical person I've ever seen post or...you are playing some sort of silly game with us. The alternative thought may be that you just don't get it.
    I was contacted by the dealer with conflicting information this weekend, I couldn't reach the Hyannis person at the time and I wanted feedback because it truly worried me and made me unsure all over again. I don't have the luxury of extra money, so I have to make certain I am doing the right thing to protect myself. I don't want to communicate with anyone being rude, judgmental and insulting or questioning my motives because they find my posts boring, stupid or annoying. For those reasons, and like I asked earlier, please stop commenting on them.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Appears to me that KENKEN has gone out of his way to explain how you can save money. And how the dealer you purchased your car from is attempting to get deep into your pocket as well as flat out lying to you.

I do believe your options are to continue to argue with those trying to help or call one of the "suggested" dealers and get the real scoop.

Keep this in mind! Anytime you walk into a dealers show room, or even drive onto his lot, most of the folks you will encounter are on some type of commission. If you don't spent they don't receive. The more you spend, the better day they have.

Your dealer's Finance man can sell you the EW just as cheap as anyone else, and still make money. But the less he sells it for, the less commission he makes. He is bluffing and you appear to be buying his bluff!

Try this, if you truly feel you need to buy from him.
    Get a quote from one of the sources. Then go to your dealer and tell the guy this is the quote and you will purchase from them unless he is willing to match it. If he gets stubborn, thank him for his time and leave. Then talk with the Dealership's General Manager, explaining how you are trying to continue doing business with them but are hitting a wall . Then explain that you will be forced to shop all your service work, accessories and so forth if the general attitude is the same as the finance guy's. ;)

Kip
    As others have said, as long as you are still under the full factory warranty you can buy HC from any legit Honda dealer - not just the one who sold you the vehicle. Many, many folks have save tons on money by going online (on the phone) to these dealers rather than accepting what the local dealer offers them. The discount dealers sell HC normally at or below cost and make money on the volume bonus Honda pays them for selling so many plans. So usually your local dealer can't (or won't) touch the price offered "online". Never hurts to ask, but I would not bother - just buy from one of the dealers mentioned in the forum.
    Thank you for your response and suggestions,Kip. I appreciate them. Btw, I am not refusing to listen to others' suggestions, I was simply concerned and doubting things after my dealer contacted us this weekend and lied about the HC plan. I am also not trying to argue with those trying to help, I am not permitting others to be rude, insulting or judgmental to me. That is not necessary, it is not kind or helpful and I am certain it is not the intention of these forums. Again, thank you for your suggestions.
    Thanks very much for the added assurance, Dwynne. After arguing with our lying dealer finance person about our options over the weekend, I appreciate it!
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 285
    Shelby, I would not buy a Honda Care plan from the local lying dealer even if they matched an online price. They probably would not match it anyway.
    I would , however, show the local finance guy a copy of your contract & the price you paid. I would tell him that I will be telling anyone who asks about my purchase all about the EW issues you have had with the local dealer.
    Thank you so much JWM40517, I appreciate it and we are going to use one of the online dealers earlier posters suggested. :)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the good info on these extended warranties from Honda. Unfortunately, it won't help me. My '06 Civic has about 33k miles on it but the years I think kill me and since I live in Florida, we can't buy it. I read back in the forum to know that one can purchase from any other Honda dealer so I don't understand either why this other poster keeps asking the same question. Just read back in here and it's been answered numerous times. It's nice that you really tried to help though you got vilified. Your help is definitely appreciated! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Okay...you're wonderful and everyone else here who has tried to help you and reassure you is "rude, judgmental and insulting"...or perhaps the continual asking of the exact same question and the refusal to believe the many identical answers is "rude, judgmental and insulting" in addition to being "boring, stupid or annoying". For those reasons as implied earlier, please stop posting them...frankly, I don't care if you purchase an HC or not. I don't care if you like my responses or not! If you don't want answers, or if you don't want to believe the answers you are consistently given, please stop asking them.

Please simply buy the HC form your dealer and get fleeced...that way we can all move on. (no sarcasm intended)
  • fastsvofastsvo Member Posts: 31
    Hi Folks,

Just picked up a 2012 Honda Accord LX and the dealer wanted to sell me the 10/100k $0 deductible warranty for $850 (they claim cost is $820), BUT I had to buy it at the time of purchase only. So, I didn't buy it because I had a haunting suspicion that this item can later be purchased.

Anyways, what is the real deal surrounding the purchase of Honda care and was I given a good price?

Thanks
    Anyways, what is the real deal surrounding the purchase of Honda care and was I given a good price?

I'm not sure what a 10/100K is, because as far as I know, the longest term for a Honda Care is 8 years, not 10. However, you can go to a site like: www.saccuccihondacare.com and get a price to compare.

You can buy anytime while your 3/36K standard warranty is active. However, for the longest terms, you can buy in the first 6 months or 6,000 miles whichever comes first. After that the coverage periods available change.
    Many dealers sell warranties by 3rd party warranty companies, Direct Warranty comes to mind. As far as price, they vary from model to model. My big concern is (3rd party warranty), what do they cover, what is the deductible, what is the process for work approval and payment, how long have they been in business and are they "independent" or backed by a major insurance company!

Also, is it an "inclusionary" policy which lists everything they cover (these can be very confusing) or is it an "exclusionary" policy in which they list those things that they don't cover...these are much simpler to comprehend and less arguable at the time of repair.
  • jennyd4jennyd4 Member Posts: 4
    I bought honda care for my 2011 Odyssey when I had just under 6000 miles from Saccucci Honda. Whole process was done online and they had the best price. Go to http://www.saccuccihonda.com/ for info.
  • verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19
    My 2009 Pilot EXL is coming off lease in May, and I have 35,200 miles on it. Yes, I should have thought of this sooner, and found out that I need to buy the extended warranty NOW if I am to buy the car out after the lease. The car is worth way much more than what I owe on the lease, so I am buying it out when the lease ends. Then I'll figure out what I want to do about it (keep it or sell it). In the meantime, I want to get the extended warranty. Thanks to this forum, I learned to get several online quotes that are much cheaper than what my local dealers are quoting. Saccucci Honda and Hyannis Honda are definitely the cheapest. I want to share what I received from Saccucci here in case someone wonders why we can't purchase these policies online anymore (hope I am not in trouble in posting this)
    =====
    From Saccucci:

In 2008 Saccucci Honda sued American Honda Finance to keep online Honda Care sales alive. We were the only dealership that chose to stand up to Honda on this matter. The lawsuit ended in 2010 and brought some changes. Currently we cannot sell directly yo you over the web site like we used to. You must now call or use the live chat on the web site to complete the transaction. Thank you for supporting us, and we hope to bring online ordering back in the near future.
    I want to share what I received from Saccucci here in case someone wonders why we can't purchase these policies online anymore (hope I am not in trouble in posting this)

You're fine in posting what you did. It's good background information for people who haven't been reading this board for a long time.
  • sho_kansho_kan Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys,

I didn't realise this when I bought it at the dealer, I thought I was getting the Honda Care contract but apparently he sold me something from Zurich. Should I be worried? Is the coverage provided by Zurich not as good as Honda?
    See if you can get your money back. Hondacare is the only one backed by Honda and accepted at any Honda dealership. I don't know anything about Zurich but finding a dealer that will honor it (assuming they are still around when you need them) might be tricky. I bet you paid way too much as well.
    +1

You can search online for "Zurich warranty reviews" and see if you're happy with the results -- the problem with 3rd party warranties is that they have flat hourly labor rates that they pay to shops and that they may or may not cover something so theres no guarantee that they'll cover the full cost of the repair (you may have to pay for some of it out of pocket). Another thing is that the company could go bankrupt so you could lose your money (looking at Zurich's website, it seems like they've been around for a long time so I dont think they'll go belly up) and also watch out for deductibles (if you have a deductible then you have to pay that amount during each repair visit)

I would try to cancel and get your money back from Zurich (read your paperwork) and then go for a no deductible Honda Care plan from one of the online dealers just for the extra piece of mind

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com
    http://hyannishondacare.com
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com
  • sho_kansho_kan Member Posts: 7
    Thanks guys. I couldn't find much about Zurich and whatever I did only made it look like a bad deal. So anyways I went back to the dealership and changed the contract by removing out the extended warranty. It actually was surprisingly a no hassle affair :)

So now I need to buy my Honda Care warranty through the various online sites. Does it matter that I am in CA and a lot of these sites are based elsewhere?
  • mrheromrhero Member Posts: 4
    Hi , you much did u paid for 2012 Honda Accord LX on OTD.i am planning to buy one.what is best price i was buy it
    If you go to any of the dealers mentioned, either by clicking on their web site or by calling them they will give you a quote. They will not continue to hound you and high pressure you...they are professionals.
    http://www.saccuccihondacare.com
    http://hyannishondacare.com
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com
  • ahd3ahd3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all, I just purchased a 2012 CRV on Tuesday. After wheeling and dealing for over 5 hours, I met up with the finance guy who really pushed a 6 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty. He told me my 3 yr 36k mile warranty wouldn't cover everything and I should purchase this so I'm completely protected. I was too tired to protest and the cost was $2,280.50 w/ a $100 deductible. The cost is listed under Vehicle Service Contract. After reading some of the posts here, I feel I was completely ripped off--my own fault for agreeing to this. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow -- can/should I cancel this? One more thing: as another sales tactic, he lowered my interest rate from 1.99 to 1.85 so my payment would be the same as w/o the extended warranty. Thank you for your help/advice! I love the car but I'm losing sleep over this!
    Looks like you paid an arm and a leg and still got screwed since thats not even the $0 deductible one

First read the paperwork to see if you actually bought the Honda extended warranty ("Honda Care") or some 3rd party warranty. If its 3rd party then cancel it and buy Honda Care from one of the online dealers (look a few posts back). If its Honda Care then contact one of the online dealers first before you cancel it and see what the procedure is for you to cancel and sign up again (there should be no fees to cancel, but there may be a small fee for you to buy it again)
    Thanks for your info--I knew after reading the posts, that I was ripped off. I'm heading back to the dealer today and I will cancel the extended warranty. According to a friend, I have until I hit 36k miles to purchase this warrantly. One more thing: they also sold me a $750 Security System by Rockledge. According to the dealer, AZ is the #1 location for Honda's to be stolen. Any advice on this?
    1st...yes you overpaid.
    2nd...your friend is wrong. You have until 6,000 miles to purchase a HondaCare Warranty as a new car with no deductible. After that, you can purchase a HondaCare Warranty (up to 36,000 miles) at a higher price and, I believe, it has a deductible.
    3rd...Auto Comprehensive insurance is for stolen cars. If your insurance deductible is $1,000 or less, you wasted your money. Also, the car comes with an alarm, so unless it is a LoJack or other type of tracking device, you really got ripped.

Call Succucci or Hyannis Honda...the HondaCare Warranty should be less than $1,000 for 8year/120,000 miles.
    If you want the cheapest price on Honda Care then you have to buy within 6mo/6k mi, after that the pricing goes up a little (check the pricing difference on those Honda Care websites, enter your purchase date and 1k mi then enter a purchase date in Jan and 10k mi to see what the difference is). Since the 2012 CRV is the first year redesign then I recommend the extended warranty since it'll take Honda a couple years to work out all the kinks

Never heard of a Rockledge alarm, search online for reviews -- you can probably get a name brand system like DEI (they sell under multiple names like Viper/Python/Clifford) or Compustar, check crvownersclub to see what people are using

Lot of older Hondas usually get stolen for parts or if you have a newer modified one -- there have been some CRVs stolen but I don't think the amount of stolen CRVs is that high (mainly stolen for their engines, people like to swap out engines in smaller Hondas for the CRV's bigger engine)

If someone wants to steal your car then they'll get it one way or another and that's what insurance is for. Lowering your comprehensive deductible isn't that expensive -- I have a Civic and a Maxima and the difference between a $250 compre ded and $50 compre ded for BOTH cars combined was a whopping $5/month
    I don't trust this finance guy at all! I went to cancel the extended warranty 3 days after my purchase and asked if the contract could be redone so my payment could be lowered. He said no it had already been processed and sent to the lender. I asked who the lender was and what were the terms (we had agreed to 1.85% int. on a 60 month loan). He said he didn't know--maybe Wells Fargo. Also he wouldn't refund the $2k + because it had already gone through to Honda Care. I filled out a cancellation form which he said will take 6-8 weeks to process. So, I'm paying interest on something I'm not even using. He said my 60 months will be shortened and thus subtract the amount paid for the extended warranty. Does this sound fishy to anyone? One more thing: I brought in the title to my trade in as I didn't have it on the day I purchased the CRV. I asked if I needed to fill anything out on the back/sign it. He said no. Is this right?

I'm so upset by my experience--overpaying for the CRV, not trusting these people at the dealer that I am regretting my purchase. The CRV is great but my experience was awful!
    Hi,
    Can I ask how they removed the extended warranty from your contract? I tried to cancel mine 3 days after purchase and he said he could not redo the contract. He also could not refund my money. I filled out a cancellation form which will take 6-8 weeks to process. The 2k plus I paid (yes, I was ripped off) will just shorten my 60 month period until the car is paid off. So I'm paying interest for something I'm not using. The EW I purchased was 6 yr/100k miles. Thanks!
  • ilovetrailersilovetrailers Member Posts: 27
    As a former finance manager I know that once the contract goes in nothing can be changed. You can cancel the warranty and the finance company will take it off the loan. They will not change the payment.
    Honda is slow to get extended warranty papers out to you. I have been told they process them once a month.
    The good news is that your interest rate stays the same.