Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Immediately return to the dealership with your son and ask for a copy of the Terms and Conditions for the warranty. Once you have that, take it home and read it over. If you don't think the terms are acceptable, usually it will state you have a brief period to cancel, and usually the cancellation must be done at the dealership. Just return with your son and cancel if you want. But you need to get the terms first.
  • mrsjerseyjetsmrsjerseyjets Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 2014 Odyssey, and during the insurance pitch we told him we had a paper from a dealer who had a different price on the warranty. He immediately said, "Let me guess, the place in MA?" And then proceeded to tell us that that place was not legit. I'm guessing it was a sales pitch of course, but wanted to check to see if anyone here actually used the warranty bought from Saccucci, Bernardi, or Hyannis. My dealer wanted $2200 for the extended warranty 8yr/ 120k, so we said no! LOL

Thanks for any info you may have!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    Those are all legit places... they sell true Honda Care extended warranties.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    "I'm guessing it was a sales pitch of course, but wanted to check to see if anyone here actually used the warranty bought from Saccucci, Bernardi, or Hyannis. "

I have. And you receive the warranty from the same Honda corporate office that you would if you bought it from the local dealer.
  • mrsjerseyjetsmrsjerseyjets Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your help! I went through Bob Leab at Hyannis and got it done today with a few simple emails and a phone call. We are now covered, at $900 less than my dealer wanted! Thank you for your help and advice!
  • floridarobfloridarob Member Posts: 1
    It seems that the dealers listed to sell Honda Care at a great price do not sell in Florida. Does anyone have a good Honda Dealer to buy Honda Care Warranty at a good price?
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    So nice to read about some of us dumb buyers who beat the F&I expert.

Perhaps if those F&I experts would offer their so-called products at realistic prices they would sell more and their customers would be happier.

It would be helpful if you identified the dealership where the F&I person lied to you about the MA Honda dealers which sell the Honda service contract at reasonable prices.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    I don't think you can buy a warranty in Florida unless it's from a Florida dealership. It's considered insurance by the state, and regulations pertaining to insurance sales apply to extended vehicle warranties.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    edited September 2013
    Look at post #3706 in this forum. If true, it says that as of about two years ago extended warranties are no longer regulated by the Office of Insurance Regulations in Florida. Says that each agreement must have a written statement that the rate charged is not regulated by the OIR.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Could very well be true. May just be something that out-of-state dealerships don't want to hassle with. The easiest way to find out would be to call and out-of-state dealership and ask.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jlm072174jlm072174 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    Hi, I am new here and probably like others, came here looking for info about the validity, value & pricing on extended warranties. I bought my '14 Accord last night. In earlier discussions w/the salesman, the "wrap around" (i.e. bumper to bumper) warranty was $2k. I initially dismissed the idea of buying it. At the purchase table, the "closer" said he would give it to me "at cost" of $1561. It is a lifetime warranty through CNA with no deductible. The vehicle also has a lifetime power train warranty already in place.

In most areas of my life, I am a big believer in insurance where it makes sense. With the computers & electronics on this model (compared to my last vehicle), I am a little worried about down-the-road issues with these things and getting a large bill to fix them. Then I remember why I bought a Honda to begin with - reliability & longevity. I plan to keep this vehicle for a long term (e.g. At least 10 years ... I am a buy & hold kind of person). That said, I am buying this car because I had my eighth car accident three weeks ago (none have ever been my fault). This last one totaled my Infinity (the others did not result in total loss). My point here is - while I plan to keep the car, I clearly have bad luck on the road, and don't want to invest a lot of cash into a warranty that may not even have a chance to go in effect.

If the cost were lower, I might jump on it. The "closer"said he would give me till today to think about it, as I told him I hadn't been provided any info to review and couldn't make that decision on the fly without knowing what I was buying. (probably BS on his part that I have to buy it upon sale of the car but whatever).

My questions for this group are: 1) is this a reasonable price for this warranty; 2) how reputable is CNA for these warranties; and 3) anyone report or aware of issues with the big ticket, non powertrain computers, touch screens, etc. in these newer Accords that might make this a reasonable purchase? I would pay cash for it vs finance it. I am not overly well versed in auto warranties ... Just a single mom trying to drive a safe & reliable car that I am hopeful will last for many years. I don't drive much though (<5k miles a year) as I work from home a lot, and my office is only 4 miles from home.

Appreciate any & all feedback. Going to do some googling as well this morning but thought I would take a shot here in hopes I can get some sound advice. I don't have time to read through the entire history of this thread, but will search for obvious terms to see if I can get more info as well. Thanks in advance!
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited September 2013
    Jim - congratulations on your new accord - i think you will be happy - it is a very low maintenance dependable vehicle. That being said, modern cars have complicated systems that can be expensive to fix. A transmission alone can run you $3500-4000 or more. All that being said, my advice is stay away from a non Honda type warranty. If you decide you want to extend your coverage, read this thread and get quotes from the dealers who sell Hondacare. You will get your best deal from these dealers. You need to purchase hondacare before your car has 6000 miles on it to get the best price. After, that the pricing increases.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Bill. Color me an "ignorant girl" here (and I mean that literally; I'm really not the most mechanically inclined! LOL) ... isn't the transmission part of the PowerTrain? If so, the car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

~ Jennifer
    Sorry Jennifer - a closer look at your userid shows its not Jim. I believe the accord comes with a 60k mile powertrain warranty. If your dealer warranty is in writing, I would check the terms and conditions very closely to make sure it does not come with strings attached.

Bill
    This warranty is provide through CNA, is a limited lifetime warranty on powertrain components (engine, transmission/transaxle/transfer case, drive axle and seals & gaskets for all those parts), and the only requirement for me (primarily) is that I maintain the vehicle IAW manufacturers recommendation & save receipts, which isn't a big deal for me because I am very diligent with my vehicles' maintenance. Now granted, there is a lot of "legal-eze" in these documents, but most of it seems straightforward.

I did ask a friend who is a longtime service mechanic w/another dealership his thoughts on CNA warranties, and he said they were pretty good to deal with and usually fair. I also checked the BBB, and they have an A+ rating, and are an accredited member of the BBB. I know that only means as much as the internet page it appears, but at least it sorta 'feels' a little better knowing that.

I'm primarily concerned with the extra warranty (bumper to bumper) coverage and if that is worthwhile. I know Honda doesn't make junk; it's those electronic components (e.g., touchscreen for radio, settings, etc) & motors for things like windows, seats, etc. that can go out and be costly that I feel like it might be worthwhile, but just not sure.
    I guess I am a bit confused - are you saying the dealer is providing a "free" lifetime warranty on the powertrain? I'm not sure how they can do that - if it was that easy, I'd think all Honda dealers could offer it. I don't know much about CNA - I guess they've been around since 1982. I do know if you were quoted $1561 for their coverage, you should be able to do better than that for Hondacare. And Hondacare comes with a number of perks - check with the online dealers listed in this thread for the details. If you do want to go with a warranty, I think you will find Hondacare will be your best bet. Problem is that these cars are pretty dependable so you might not ever use the warranty. But then again, there are times when things break. Let us know what you decide and what kind of deal you get if you decide on a warranty.

Bill
    Thanks Bill, will do on the extended/b2b warranty.

I'm not sure how to explain the Powertrain warranty. It's a multi-page contract form with the dealership logo on top, CNA noted as the administrator, the issuing dealer name/info, my name as the purchaser, the term (lifetime), the deductible ($0) and the basic car information. The remaining pages outline the warranty, what is included/excluded, and all the other legal-eze. It's something the dealer explained they are the only ones in the area to offer (guess it's a contract/deal with CNA to only let them offer it in this region). And it didn't cost me anything extra (at least nothing noted on my purchase agreement). It's something they offer on all their brand new cars.

Here is a link to the Q&A on the dealer website that maybe will help: http://stevensonhondaofgoldsboro.com/Lifetime-Warranty/
    Jennifer - hondacare will cover the entire drivetrain as well as everything else on the car (with a few exceptions for wear items). So it looks like you'll be double covered if you get hondacare. It amazes me they provided you the powertrain warranty administered by CNA and still tried to charge you 1561 for the other warranty.

You did an outstanding job on your pricing so it's all academic. And it's good you keep good records - you never know when they will come in handy.

Bill
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    First thing, the so-called lifetime warranty is not a warranty. Only the OEM can and does offer a warranty. What they are providing is a service contract.

Second, no one can offer a lifetime powertrain service contract and stay in business. Unless, of course, they have little intention of actually honoring those service contracts. The details are always in the fine print, which is always written to allow the service contract provider a way to avoid paying on most claims. Remember, lawyers always dwell on fine details.

The old saying if it seems to good to be true it is not true certainly applies to these types of products.

The real reason some dealerships tout these so-called lifetime warranties is to entice buyers. Amazingly many people continue to fall for such tactics.

Finally, no one offers a bumper to bumper warranty, not even the OEM. All auto warranties and service contracts are exclusionary. Again the fine print!

Of course, if a person actually believes spending a lot of money on an exclusionary service contracts is a wise way to spend money, it only makes sense to purchase one from the OEM. Third party service contracts are, at best, an expensive crap shoot.

Didn't we all learn about these products from the US Fidelis fiasco?
  • stankalstankal Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

We bought a 2014 Odyssey EXL-Nav last week but didn't get the extended warranty as it seemed like the dealer wanted too much for it. How do I go about shopping for the Honda Extended Warranty after the fact? Do I just call Honda dealerships and ask for quotes?
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    Online dealers you can get quotes from -- I would go for $0 deductible plans

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
    http://www.hyannishondacare.com/
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/
    edited September 2013
    Review the last few months posts in this thread to get a feel for the market. There are a few dealers who sell Hondacare on line at very good pricing. Google Hondacare and you will find them and some of them are also listed in this thread. There are a few states that don't allow Hondacare to be sold on line in their state. If you decide to go this route, be sure to buy before you reach 6000 miles - after that the price increases.

Bill G

There ya go - jatan has linked them - good shopping!
  • thewholetruththewholetruth Member Posts: 3
    Quick question...I am going to be purchasing a new 2014 Odyssey soon. The dealership tells me that you cannot get them under invoice. Is this true? Also, I see that you can get the extended warranties online, which is great...generally, how much do you save vs. getting it at the dealership...thank you...
    Warranty savings will vary -- depends on how overpriced the dealer is. You can probably save 25-50% on the warranty if you buy from an online dealer

Get warranty quotes from online dealers now so you know what it'll cost you and you can compare it to your local dealer later on when you go buy the car -- I posted the links are a few posts back

2014 models just came out so dealers wont want to go below invoice right now -- you can try during the last couple days of the month. Check the Odyssey thread to see what people are paying:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee93eaa?displayRecent
  • thewholetruththewholetruth Member Posts: 3
    Yes, please let me know where you get your warranty....tell them they'll have another (me) when you get yours.

I'll check out the odyssey thread....the dealership said people are paying 'way' over invoice as they only get one per month of the touring elite. I do understand there is demand...I paid about 1000.00 under invoice for my Toyota, but I can't wait to get rid of that piece of junk...don't like it at all!

I just wanted to be sure they weren't 'taking me' on an over invoice price...

Talk soon...
  • stallion_vstallion_v Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone bought extended Honda care in California and used it ?
    I just bought and 2014 Odyssey and got the 7yr/80k pack for $1590 from my dealer.
    Of course now I see it is cheaper outside.
    My dealer said there has to be a catch to this, but I am still within 60 day and can cancel.

I got 2 good quotes $890 from saccucci.com and $840 from collegehillshonda.com
    Has anyone bought these outside CA and used it here.
    Are there any catches?
    Of course the dealer is going to tell you that - they will be charged back the 1590 when you cancel. I have bought hondacare for two vehicles from saccucci - I haven't used it yet for my current vehicle but had no problem using it on my previous Civic. Within a few weeks of purchase, you will receive the bonafide documentation issued by Honda. Only problem now is you will be charged a surcharge to repurchase after canceling. There are states, however, that won't allow the purchase of service contracts across state lines via Internet.

Bill G
    I called another dealer and they said I can just cancel and get it since it's a new vehicle nothing hidden or extras, all at their internet price.
    So I guess would probably be saved the surcharge
    Good deal - sounds like it might work out for you. It's only I had read on this board that if you cancel, there is a $100 surcharge if you try to reinstate it at a later date. If you can avoid it, that's great. Hope everything goes well for you - I like to see folks get good deals!

Bill G
    Thanks Bill 😀
  • pappa2pappa2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased mine from Saccucci in RI for about $470 less. It's the same Honda Warrenty. My neighbor told and showed me his Warrenty. Ask yourself, why would a new car dealer risk his dealership for fraud? Knowing that Honda Dealerships are quite valuable,
  • elsie10elsie10 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2014 Honda Odyssey EX and I think we got a really good price; at least other dealers told me they couldn't match it. The problem is I bought the extended warranty from them. I DO want an extended warranty because I keep my car for a long time (10 yrs+), but I bought it from them.
    Two problems: it isn't HondaCare, it is Fidelity, and I paid too much; at least I think I did.
    Can someone please tell me if I will be able to cancel this and get the HondaCare? And should I go through dealer to cancel or call Fidelity? We just got it today. Thanks for your help!
    Read your warranty paperwork for cancellation terms -- most likely you'll have to cancel at the dealer within 30/60 days for a full refund, but double check. Just tell them you don't want it anymore and stand your ground (don't mention Honda Care or else they'll keep bugging you to sign up for it with them)

You have 6 mo/6k miles to sign up for Honda Care with "new car" discounted price -- price goes up after that, but you have until 3yr/36k mi to buy it. Take care of your Fidelity cancellation in the next week or 2 and then sign up for HC from one of the online dealers when you get a chance in the next few months

Definitely get the $0 deductible HC ($100 deductible will add up if you have a few repairs after the factory warranty ends) and probably 8yr/120k mi if you plan on keeping for 10+ yrs
    Thanks for the info.
    I have researched it further before talking to the dealer. Has anyone ever used Fidelity Warranty? BBB says it has a A+ rating although it does have complaints. I think any warranty company will though. I have heard that a benefit of Fidelity is that you can go to any ASE mechanic instead of just Honda dealers. All of the info online has said to go with HondaCare, but if Fidelity is a good company, is it wrong to buy it? They are the company that VW uses for their extended warranties. Any reason not to stay? Just curious...
    Also another question...is it really worthwhile to buy the extended warranty right away? Why not wait until closer to the 3 year/36 month? Sorry for all of my questions!
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited November 2013
    I would prefer that my Honda be taken to a Honda dealer for warranty work. Simply because the parts used would be HONDA parts. Also the guy working on my Honda has a giant source of tech support through the Honda factory.
    Don't know how well the ASE guy and HONDA may or may not communicate.

And how "Expert" is that ASE mechanic with the Honda?

What is the cost difference between Fidelity and Honda Care through one of the ON LINE dealers mentioned here?

Thanks,
    Kip
    Kip, the Fidelity plan is $650 more than one of the dealers listed online for a 8 year/100K no deductible warranty. (I keep my cars for a long time and don't put on a lot of miles.)

And should I even buy it now?

Thanks for your quick response.
    Elsie - my recommendation would be Hondacare - thinking along the same lines as kip. If you purchase after 6 months or 6000 miles, the pricing is higher.

Bill G
    If you're fine with Fidelity then keep it or if you want to save $650 then get HC instead -- to me it doesn't make sense to pay more for an aftermarket warranty when you can get an OEM warranty w/ OEM parts for a cheaper price (if you don't like your local dealer then check online reviews of other dealers in your area)

As I mentioned in my previous post, you'll get lower pricing if you buy within 6mo/6k mi -- after that the price will go up some. Hard to say exactly what the price will be if you wait until 3yr/36k mi, but you can try getting a warranty quote for a 3 yr old Honda with 35k mi so you have a ballpark idea of the difference
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    This is easy...get the Hondacare and be done with it! Dump the other company like...NOW!!!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited November 2013
    Thanks for your advice. I went back to the dealer and canceled it; it really wasn't as bad an experience as I thought it would be. I had my numbers ready this time when he asked what I had been quoted for HondaCare. It also probably helped that I talked to our salesman, and he talked to the manager and F/I man before I got there.
    This has been a great site to check for info. I was fully prepared with what to pay for a vehicle and even got a better price than even the lowest bar on TrueCar, but I had not researched the extended warranty and prices. Now I know!! I hope others will look here first too. Thanks again!
  • hshunterhshunter Member Posts: 9
    I live in NY and just purchased a 2014 Honda Odyssesy. Of couse the finance manager tried to sell me an extended warranty 8 years/ 120K for $2200. After I told the price is too high, he came back with $1800. My question is, can I purchase Honda Care extended warranty from any online dealer (saccucci.com, collegehillshonda.com) or is it only a dealer in NY?
    Buy online
  • 5uper8ee5uper8ee Member Posts: 1

I didn't research warranties before I picked up my 2013 Accord in Irving, TX. Succumbed to the finance guru, even though I had a cashiers check for the purchase…I know, I know. This guy's line was, "I'm giving you employee pricing." $1755.00 for 6 yr/100K mi $0 deductible.

Got back home, dialed up edmonds.com on the interwebbings and purchased a 6 yr/100K mi $0 deductible for $890 and Sentinel 6 yr/72K mi oil change and tire coverage plan for $445 from Saccucci Honda. Saved $420! Thanks to all on the forum for the info on this.

SuperBee
    Round Rock, TX

• godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481

I take it you had no luck buying from Austin/Round Rock dealers?

• leesha48leesha48 Member Posts: 5

@aspesisteve said:
    "But the salesperson hooked me when he said that the way Honda's are built now (being so computerized), they're much costlier to fix."

these are fear based sales :shades: tactics designed to separate you from your hard earned cash! Try reading consumer reports including the reliability data on the Civic, which is excellent, and you will realize that you are making a ill advised bet.

It is such a paradox to go from the car salesman selling you on reliability and then after closing the deal you get mr. doom and gloom warning you about expensive repair bills. Give me a break! I tell them if they want their customer report card to read 'A' then spare me the after market sales shenanigans. I'm out the door faster and have more money left in my account.

At the very least, you should walk away and say you will think about it and get a competitive bid.

• leesha48leesha48 Member Posts: 5

Oh yes, this is exactly what happened to me this past week. Once I realized I wasn't even sold a Honda Care warranty it was a company I've never heard off, could find no reviews on line for this company, I canceled it. Buyer Beware of these scare tactics they use!

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

Hello all. I work at a Honda dealership in sales. My wife and I are buying a Certified 2010 Honda Odyssey LX with 61,300 miles. I'm inclined to go with the 8yr/120k "wrap" (bumper-to-bumper) Honda warranty. My business manager mentioned aftermarket warranties, but I'm wary of those and will only consider a Honda warranty. Everyone here in the thread has provided helpful insight. Now all I need to do is convince the Mrs. that it's a good idea. Thanks again folks!

• snowkatzsnowkatz Member Posts: 3

anyone in NY bought one of these online Hondacares and know that its transferable or works across state lines etc? Got quoted 1600 for 8yr/120k. Was going to pay 1550 for 8yr/100k Zurich warranty. Thoughts?