Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• sportymonksportymonk Posts: 258
    Just bought my first Honda (Pilot EX-L) and when tghe finance manager offered the warranty (and the polyglycoat, etc) I said no thanks, I could do better than that. He asked if it was HondaCare. I said yes. HE asked how much. I showed him my figures from Coolege Hills and Hondacuraworld (hondacuraworld was better price slightly). He said that was $100 less than he could do. I bought the 6 year / 100,000 miles / 0 ded for $960. The savings on the $50 ded wasn't worth it as two claims and you will be lossing money.

I also bought my cargo cover, splash guards, crossbars, and crago liner from Hondacuraworld at considerable savings over retail.
  • smittyokcsmittyokc Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 7yr 75Kmi HondaCare warranty online from Jay Honda in Ohio www.jayhondacare.com. I checked pricing and they were a little cheaper than College Hills Honda. I paid $895 for the 0 deductible for my new Odyssey. It's amazing the difference in pricing quoted for these things, even comparing online pricing. Online pricing was from $895 to $1100 for the same contract. My local dealer tried to sell me a 3rd party agreement for $1450 w/$50 deductible.
  • etimojubaetimojuba Posts: 1
    why wait for 24months or 24k?
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    why wait for 24months or 24k?

There is no additional fee (unless the price goes up) if you buy before your car is 24 months old or has 24,000 miles on it.

The warranty has a pro-rated refund should your car be stolen, totaled, or you trade it in. The later you wait to buy the policy the more you will get back. I have posted examples of the calculations here in the past to show just how much (it is a good amount) more you would get back.

There are very few benefits the HC policy until the 3/36k runs out, so no reason to buy now and extra money back if you wait.

I recently traded my 2001 S2000 for a 2005 S2000 and cancelled my HC - since I waited until right at 24 months I got a nice bit back (over 1/2 of what I paid).

I can point you to the other postings if you want to crunch the numbers.

Dennis
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I have a Honda Care Extended Warranty, and my vehicle needs an A/C compressor. I have been waiting two weeks for the part, (AC compressor). As of today, I am now entering the third week. Honda DOES NOT HAVE A "parts support system" for this program! ------ If I am already waiting two weeks for an A/C compressor, how long would I wait for a transmission? What kind of service could I expect while on a road trip? The Honda Care Extended Warranty Program is a joke! It covers everything "on paper", but covers NOTHING in reality! Honda doesn't understand that you cannot repair vehicles, (under the terms and conditions of a warranty program), without a supply of replacement parts. An AC compressor should be an "off the shelf item" at a Honda dealer. If I am waiting two weeks for an AC compressor, would I also wait two weeks for an alternator or starter? This "parts issue" is a way to control money flow out of the program. The customer who needs the vehicle, will forget the warranty, and take it to an independent shop and get it repaired. As soon as the 2006 vehicles hit the market, this Honda Accord Lemon is history. I will look at GM vehicles, such as, Chevrolet Impala and Buick Park Ave.. But while I am still driving this vehicle, (without AC), I have put a sign in the driver's read door window. It states: ---"Honda Care Extended Warranty is a fraud! ---No parts available for repairs! ---Ask me!--- Honda Lemon! --- Don't purchase a Honda!" You see, I like to share the Honda Experience with everyone. ------Best regards. Dwayne
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,540
    LOL! Hope folks remember that sign when you try to sell it.

So... have you had other issues aside from the one A/C repair?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

I don't see what in the world this has to do with a Honda Care warranty. It is a shame that Honda does not have any compressors to repair the car, but that is the issue.

What I would do is rather than spending your time posting these messages all over the place is use your time calling around to see if INDEED you can find a compressor to fit your car someplace. Perhaps the dealer you are using has some other agenda, but if you call around to other dealers and the online Honda parts place and act like you want to BUY a compressor and see what they say. If you find one (and you confirm it is the right part) then confront your dealer with the part and ask that they obtain it and install it. If you can't find one yourself, then THAT is the problem - not the HondaCare warranty. Be sure you have the right part number and make sure what you find is a Honda part - then you will know for sure where the problem is.

Dennis
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    djm2:

Your problem is with one particular dealer's service department. It has nothing to do with Honda's vehicles or Honda's warranty.

Your dealer is trying to brush you off. Go to another shop.
  • cudohocudoho Posts: 14
    Dennis and everyone
    you are one heck of a well informed consumer and thank you for the research and knowledge. I just got a new 05 pilot yesterday and will wait until 24m/24K to buy HC
    My questions:
    If I wait until 24M/24K to buyHC, am I also taking a risk that the HC program will increase in price significantly?
    When you buy HC thru internet dealer, can they set up so that you can pay the HC amount monthly with HC fin. proggram using a credit card?

thank you
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    .....let me echo cud's appreciation on the 24k aspect of HC..........

I'm sked to pick-up an '05 Accord this PM; plan to deflect all dealer assaults on HC (armed with the perception/insight gained via these helpful threads...........

all the best.....ez :)
    There IS a risk that Honda could raise the price between now and 24 months or whenever you hit 24k miles. What are the chances, I could not say - but I would not expect it to be any HUGE increase in price if it does go up.

I think all the online dealers will just take a credit card for the purchase. I don't think they would be able to add this to your monthly payment or anything like the local dealer can. Of course, if your local dealer would sell you the HC plan for what the online dealers can do then there would be a little less incentive to wait for 24/24 to buy.

Unless you need the (very limited) benefits you get now with the coverage, I would just wait. You never know if down the road you will want to trade your truck, or it gets totalled or stolen and you will want the max amount back. BTW, I just got the refund check for my 2001 S2000 HC cancellation in the mail yesterday - how sweet it is!

Dennis
  • tollhaustollhaus Posts: 10
    I'm picking up a 2001 Accord with 76,000 miles next week. Is it worth getting an EW for it? The few links I followed all seemed to say that the car can't be older than 42 months/42,000 miles for a HC warranty.
    What about third party options? Does anyone know of any good options for me, or should I just go w/out?
  • paglapagla Posts: 11
    Bought Hondacare 7/100K with 0 ded with my new Pilot EX-L - paid $1100. It took my dealer only five minutes to comedown from initial quote of 2000 to 1100. I know I could have reduced it another $50 ... but by then I was tired.

I was surprized to find that it was cheaper from the dealer than web...
    I think I would just do without. The HC is the one to have and you can't get it. I don't trust 3rd party warranty companies (just ask all the folks you had "Warranty Gold" coverage) so I would not buy one of those. You could call the HC assistance line and see if there is a HC warranty on this car, if so and you could track down the owner that purchased it you can transfer it to your name for $50 (and whatever you have to pay the purchased to let you do it).

Does this car have a timing belt that should have been changed at 60k? If so, make sure it was done or pay to have it done.

Dennis
  • Dennis

thanks for all the good information- you saved me money as well- dealer wanted me to buy w/in 30 days or "I could never ever get the extended warranty "! This led me to Edmunds/your advice.

Surprised me- as this is a very reputable dealer, however, finance manager is new/transferred from another dealership-

greatly appreciate your advice..
  • dgsxrrdgsxrr Posts: 20
    I just purchased a 2002 Accord Ex. V6 coupe with 99,000 mi. ($12,000.). I really wanted the car and it's in excellent shape. The Honda Dealership told me the only poss. extended warranty option for me was-24,000 mi./24 mo. for $1,500. I took it knowing I can cancel within 30 days for a total refund going to the loan. I'm late in my research on EW options. It seems that most of the EW are for cars with < 24,000 mi. What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help! :shades:

I drive 90 mi. /day.
    dgsxrr,

Were you quoted all that money for a Honda-branded warranty, or is it with a third party company? What are the details of the coverage? What are the exclusions? You have to read the small print to see if the purchase makes sense to you.

I would ask for a copy to take home and read.
  • dgsxrrdgsxrr Posts: 20
    The warranty is through Honda and if I didn't buy it at that time I wasn't going to be able to purchase it at a later date; but I could cancel at anytime for a full refund.

My real prob. right now is I hit a fully ins. driver whom pulled out in front of me and was ticketed for failure to yield. I have been talking/arguing with her ins. co. since, mine tells me to call them back if I need any help. I was demanding new parts/not used ones anyway. Today the ins. co. told me to call my ins. co. and have my car towed to whom ever I want to fix my car, because his co. wasn't going to work anymore with me on fixing my car and when he told the Honda dealer ( which is where I had just bought my car), that I was to picky and they no longer wanted to
    work with me either. I went straight to the dealer after work. They said to take what ever parts because they would make it look good, and that they would call the agent (whim they feel is a great guy) and explain that I' a good guy too.

I'm cx. the ins.
    I got an offer when I picked up the car for 3 years/36,000 for $1300. It's a 3rd party named Wynn or something. It doesn't seem to be worth it, and I've only got a couple of days to decide.
    Anyone have Wynn experience?
    To finish the post above (it was a reply to my own question) by this original subject header.

I picked up a 2001 Accord EX (standard) with 76000 miles this week. What kind of EW (if any) should I get?
    I don't think I would. Hondas are reliable cars and you should be fine. But I usually buy genuine Honda Care "just in case" and probably will for the new Accord and the new S2000. I would not pay any money for a 3rd party warranty on a Honda - there are just way too many horror stories about the companies not paying and going out of business to make me trust them with the money.

Dennis
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    ..brother to Dennis' #529 guidelines.......

..consider HC EW online...7year/100k for about half my dealer's price.....

..all the best, ez

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6MT.........odo 945........(superceding - by a sizeable margin - a 2000 Solara V-6 5MT)

:D
  • My N. California dealer offered me 7/100/0 Honda Care for ~$1100 on a 2005 Accord Hybrid, or for $1770 the same coverage but with 100% money back. As I understand it, I could cancel:

1) in 60 days for a full refund (as ever)
    2) between 60 days and 7 years for a prorated refund
    or keep it, and get 100% money back after 7 years if unused.

Is this different from the internet deals on Honda Care? Have others heard of this? Do you think this is worth it, especially for the newer, unproven, and potentially costly-to-fix Hybrids?

What would you do?

Thanks for the great advice on these threads,
    R
    Don't be in a rush. You have three years to shop prices before making a purchase decision.
    As far as I know the money back deal would NOT be a Honda Care plan - so I would stay away from it if I were you. Sounds like they just way over charge you up front and hope you will need at least ONE thing (no matter how small) during the warranty period so they keep all your money. Of course, they also hope you might forget 7 years from now to ask for the money back :)

As blane said, you can buy a Honda Care package from a discount Internet dealer any time from now until your car as 42k on it (or is 42 months old) so no rush. If you do buy after 24/24k there is a $60 extra fee which rises to $160 after 36/36k so right at 24/24k seems to be the "best" time to buy.

Unless you are getting a smoking deal on the 05, I would wait for an 06 hybrid. There are coming with a moonroof, new rear design, and a longer warranty. I have not confirmed this, but it was posted by someone in the hybrid forum and they got the info from the 2006 info.

Dennis
  • Thanks Dennis. I'll double-check on the coverage again. I am pretty sure it is Honda Care, and that the dealer themselves offers the money back part. As I think it through, I think you're right, it loses it's value when I first get a repair done, effectively making that first repair expensive, or motivating me not to claim under the warranty at all.

As for the 2006's, I have fretted about that for many weeks, and done tons on research here and at http://www.vtec.net/ -- thanks everyone for the awesome resources. In a perfect world, I probably would wait for an '06 - they do look marginally nicer, although I am not bothered about the moonroof, and the performance stats are not out yet. But I have heard the 06 Hybrid won't be out until closer to Dec than Sept, and then might command a significantly higher price than the 2005's on close-out. And above all, my current car is having problems, and for family reasons I cannot wait for the 2006's. So it's an 05 for me this time. The only question is warranty or not.

Thanks
    R
    Gotcha. If you check at the high volume, deep discount dealers (and also fleabay ads) you can see hybrids going for cheap. Often on flebay the auctions were ending without being sold.

So by all means - don't overpay now - I would say close to invoice would be a good price.

The hybrid stuff is covered 8/80k but the rest of the car is just 3/36k. For peace of mind, I would get the HondaCare deal - but wait until just under 24/24k to get it. hondacuraworld.com is selling the 7yr/100k/$0 HondaCare for $900 and there are other online places, but this seems to be the best deal TODAY.

The only other caution - most everyone will not get anywhere close to EPA mileage numbers on the Accord hybrid. You WILL get the quickest Accord sedan that also returns mileage the same or a little better than the I4 Sedan. To me that is a nice combination, but may not be worth the Hybrid premium price for most folks. Now the more sitting you do in traffic the more you save in the hybrid, but for a normal commute it would probably take you 250k miles or more to make back in gas all the extra money the hybrid costs over the I4.

Unless you want/need to finance the warranty I would just wait and get your HondaCare later from a discount dealer. You will get it for less and if your car is stolen, totalled, or traded you will get a good bit more of your purchase price back if you wait.

Dennis
  • jgj2010jgj2010 Posts: 2
    Any help appreciated
    jgj2010

Buy the warranty on line. There are many links above to Curry, College Hills, Jayhondacare, Hondaacuraworld, Griffithhondacare, etc. Just don't be in a rush. You can wait up to three years to purchase it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,951
    You can't buy the warranty out of state, if you live in FL..

Sorry for the bad news..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs