Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    (davant) People in Florida (most of the buyers) (and I live in Melbourne Beach)
    probably are not the "educated Edmunds" buyers that are the same as we who read here !!!! Remember, only a very small percentage of buyers probably know about the "comparison" shopping that is availabe in the othe 49 States that are not afforded to in Florida.
    We are being "ripped off!! Period!!! You can bet when this bill was originally passed...it wasn't for the benefit of the Florida consumer...it was for the benefit of the Insurance Alliance that spends a lot of money on Tallahassee!!! There is NO COMPETITION in this warranty field in Florida!!! (and compattition is supposed to be tha "American Way"???)
    If you like the idea of paying more than you have to, that is your perogative!!
    They don't complain because most of them don't know they are being "ripped off".
  • cindy8cindy8 Member Posts: 5
    Dwynne,
    Please accept my apoliges for my mistake.
    Cindy
  • cyninhicyninhi Member Posts: 18
    Just wondering if you all knew this, but I just spoke with someone today at Bernardi and they are no longer doing the 12 months free interest and charging on CC every month.

Does anyone else know who would be doing this?

Thanks much,
    Cyn in HI
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I think that was a Honda special promotion - Bernardi got their money from Honda up front and Honda charged your card for the other payments. I think that promotion ended at the end of August - so I would not think you will find another dealer doing it now.

Dennis
  • cyninhicyninhi Member Posts: 18
    Thanks Dennis. I went ahead and purchased the 7/100/0 for $1051 today at Bernardi. Great deal as I went to other sites and it was more.

Thanks for all your help.
    Cyn in HI
    I "talked" with the guy at Bernardi yesterday and he said that about half the folks he asks say they heard about them from the Edmund's forum :D

I think they were surprised about how many contracts they have sold. I told them as long as they keep giving good service and cheap prices they should have no trouble selling a lot more. I know mine was cheaper that I could get elsewhere, for sure.

Dennis
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Hi all, first post in this forum. If you are in the market for a HondaCare warranty, I have one word for you "DON"T" I have had nothing but problems with Mike Piazza Honda regarding the extended warranty. I bought the 7yr/75,000 mile warranty. IIt included rental car reimbursement, etc. I was told that this warranty gives all the same benefits of the factory warranty and then some. When I had a problem with my car, I took it in around 15,000 miles and was told no rental car until AFTER 36,000 miles b/c the extended warranty doesn't start until after the factory warranty is done. . Well, I now have 50,000 miles, took it in for several minor problems, and was told none of it was covered. Further, I decided to cancel my warranty because in all honesty, Honda service at this dealership is the pits...very unfriendly. I got my prorated refund check today, and they prorated from the day I drove off the lot shorting me several hundred dollars. My point is this: They wouldn't honor my extended warranty (by giving me a rental back at 15,000 miles), yet now they say I HAVE had extended warranty from day 1. A total rip-off. Hopefully this makes sense. Be careful....BUYER BEWARE....spoke with HondaCare rep who says basically "too bad so sad sucker!" I would never buy an extended warranty on a honda again....just don;t need it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    what minor problems did you bring it in for that weren't covered?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ddwalkerddwalker Member Posts: 4
    Did you get the HondaCare warranty or was it a dealer warranty?

Post #576 says it starts from day 1.
    Can someone tell me which one is corret?
  • lopcheunglopcheung Member Posts: 7
    i am seeking help regarding some questions about the hondacare warranty:

1) what is the difference between a hondacare warranty and dealer warranty and how do you tell?

2) i am familiar with the recent changes in the warranty programs since the beginning of september...however, i am in the process of purchasing a hondacare warranty from a dealership who is still offering me the old prices and coverage. i have over 8000 miles on my 2005 odyssey, and the dealer offered me an extended warranty 7yr/100000 miles with $0 deductible. is this legit? is it still possible for dealerships to offer this despite my mileage?

3) now for a more loaded question: can you help me decide if getting an extended warranty is even worth it?

thank you in advance for your comments.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    yes, under the old rules (not even sure it has changed), you could buy the Hondacare warranty up until 2yrs/24k miles with no penalty. Then a $60 surcharge from 2/24 up until, I believe, 3/36.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Thanks to all the posters here for helping me save a bunch. I couldn't have gotten this deal w/o all of your input.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    1. HondaCare is backed by Honda of America. Other service contracts your dealer may sell will be backed by insurance companies or risk retention groups. The best HondaCare contract will cover more than the best aftermarket contract.

2. Anything is possible. If you like the price, and the forms say HondaCare, all is well. Remember, HondaCare (as others do) has different levels of coverage.

3. A person buying a service contract rarely sees a return on his investment. Most people trade or sell their vehicles too often to get much benefit out of a service contract. The handfull of people I've had come through our shop who DID come out ahead had their vehicles through the whole term of the contract.
    I don't believe service contracts are helpful to the average consumer.
    I don't know that you can put the blame for your problems on HondaCare so much as your dealer and yourself.

"I was told" you say over and over, the details of the HondaCare plan are written out in the contract you signed and in the booklet they mail you later. So before you signed you should have KNOWN that the HC plan does not cover " all the same benefits of the factory warranty and then some" - it does not. Then when your dealer would not give you the rental car you accepted that, even though HC calls for you to have that benefit from the day you buy the contract.

HC may not be for every person, be we try to INFORM folks so they can make an informed choice. If you DO pay for it, you should know before you pay what is covered and what is not - and all the other details and not depend on what some dealer tells you at any given time.

Dennis
    1) The contract you sign will say HondaCare on it and is the only one to get (if you get one).

2) The new plans say you can now only get the $100 deductible HC plan, you can no longer get the $0 deductible plan. If the dealer has a way around this that is legit AND can give you a good price (look back through some messages that were posted in the last month or so for an idea or check online) then I would say that is OK. Just make sure your contract is HC and for the terms you want - and when you do get the booklet from Honda make sure that is correct as well. As others have mentioned, if you order online they have no way to "know" you have too many miles to qualify for the $0 current plan. So unless you have had your van in to the dealer since you went over the limit then you could tell then you were under 6k and get a $0 plan now - I guess.

3) That is up to you. I figure they price the plans based on the average of claims plus a profit. So if you end up having a below average dollar value of claims then you wasted your money, have an above average dollar value of claims then you saved money. So your odds would be no better than 50-50 that it would save you money. Those don't sound like great odds, but keep in mind the plan in pro-rated refundable if you Honda is stolen, totalled, or traded - and it makes a nice selling tool if you decide you sell your Honda later. Where your Honda falls in the design line of the model make may a difference too. Consumer reports said that the '99 re-do was 20% more likely to have problems than the '00 vans, the '01 vans were even more trouble free. Since your '05 is another "all new" design then I would say your odds greater for having a problem than someone who has an '04.

I have it on my S2000 (and the one I had before that) and on my wife's Accord. I figure it is peace of mind, I can get some of my money back, and I got really good prices and 0% "financing" on them via Bernardi's pre-September prices.

Dennis
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    D,
    I just purchased an extended HC warranty today for the 2006 Accord 4 cyl. My question is can I cancel it and go with Bernardi?

Thanks
    NKI1
    Yep, you have 30 days to cancel for a full refund. If you financed the warranty, the refund will likely go back to the bank/finance company that you used. What happens next is up to them - reduce your monthly payment by recalculating the loan amount or (what I have heard is most likely) just applying the refund to the principal and you pay the same amount each month (but pay fewer payments).

Check the prices at HondAcuraworld, Bernardi (hondawarrantyinfo), CollegeHillsHonda, JayHondaCare, CurryHondaCare, etc to see who offers the best price right now. Last time I checked it was Bernardi, but always check all the online dealers for the best deal before you buy.

You have until you hit 6,000 miles to purchase and still qualify for the $0 deductible plan.

Dennis
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I spoke with a supervisor who agreed to give me more money on the refund of the warranty. She said that b/c the dealer did not honor the extended warranty from day 1, that should would consider the warranty not to be in effect until 36,000 miles. So, apparently there is at least one person at Honda that does care...just not at Mike Piazza Honda in PA!! Good luck all. :)
  • zuffyzuffy Member Posts: 6
    I bought the 2006 Accord EX 4 cyl with Leather and navigation. Picking up the car this sat. I haven't speak with the dealer yet regarding the extended warranty but I found a website that sells Honda Care. For my car, it's $700 for 7/80,000/$0 deductible - much cheaper than several websites I have been to. This is where I am thinking of getting it from: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/warranty.htm
    That is super! Too bad the dealer didn't take of you like they are supposed to. I don't know why they would not (other than ignorance on their part) since I would assume HC would pay them back for any loaner car or other benefit they gave you.

Dennis
    I just posted this 2 messages above your post:

Check the prices at HondAcuraworld, Bernardi (hondawarrantyinfo), CollegeHillsHonda, JayHondaCare, CurryHondaCare, etc to see who offers the best price right now. Last time I checked it was Bernardi, but always check all the online dealers for the best deal before you buy

Let me link-a-fy it to make it easier for you.

HondAcuraWorld

Bernardi (HondaWarrantyInfo)

Jay HondaCare

Curry HondaCare

and you already posted the link to College Hills:

College Hills

I think if you get quotes from all of these, you will find you can get it for less than $700.

Dennis
  • bighoo93bighoo93 Member Posts: 24
    Consider also contacting someone at Pohanka Honda in Salisbury, MD...
    Thanks for the links. I found it cheapest @ $621 from Bernardi
    Hoo-hoo, another $79 saved :D

Just for grins call the finance guy at the dealer where you purchased the car and get a quote. I would guess it will be $1,500 or more (ouch).

Note that there could be other online places that sell HC at a discount, and for sure any dealer you call COULD offer you a similar or better deal. Just be sure it is the HondaCare warranty - and if you find a better dealer be sure to let us know.

Dennis
  • jlo55jlo55 Member Posts: 1
    i can't figure out Bernardi's web site; i can't find the warranty quote. my sister just bought an Accord and the guy charged A LOT for the warranty i understand she has 30 days to cancel.
    Any help?
    Thanks,
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    I tried the link on post #649. It looks like you have to enter your email and other info and they send you a quote.
    As mitzij says, on some of the sites you have to give them your e-mail and they automatically e-mail you the quote.

This link:

http://www.hondawarrantyinfo.com/quote.asp

should take you right the page where you enter your e-mail, Honda, Accord, I4 or V-6, and in service date and miles.

When I checked the other day it was $621 for $0/7/80k and $796 for $0/7/100k for an I4 Accord.

And yes your sister does have 30 days to cancel the plan she purchased at the dealership. She likely financed it along with the car, so the credit for cancelling it will go to the bank and she will her money "back" with a reduced payment or fewer payments. If the dealer will not help her cancel, then have her call HondaCare customer service direct (800-999-5901) and tell them she wants to cancel NOW. They can mail or fax her the forms and take care of it from there. Within 30 days she (or the finance bank) gets a full refund of the price paid.

Dennis
  • janizaryjanizary Member Posts: 4
    For those that are leery on purchasing the Honda Care warranty from Bernardi or others, for my own peace of mind I called AHF and asked about the warranties sold by Bernardi and was told by the rep that the low price warranties that Bernardi sell are quite legit and are genuine Honda Care warranties.

This is great to me as my dealer has quoted $1,695 for a 7/100 warranty on the new '06 Civic Si Coupe. Bernardi's was, $746 with $0 deductible. The difference between those will pay for my new Compustar paging remote alarm system. This was a great find. Thanks.
    I could have told you that :D

I have purchased several discount HC plans over the years including (most recently) a couple from Bernardi. All were "legit" HC and at a deep discount off of what local dealers offered.

But it does not hurt to call and ask :)

Dennis
  • beer4704beer4704 Member Posts: 46
    I purchased HC from Bernardi on the last day of August. I called Torrance (HUSA) the other day to see if I am "live" in the system and I am not yet in the system. I also have not rec'd any HC paperwork from Honda. Guy at Torrance said that the dealer has not "put through" my paperwork yet and that I should call them. I did and was told that they will check on it and someone will call me. That was a week ago and no call. I did get a receipt in the mail from Bernardi so I can at least prove my purchase. Has anyone else bought at the end of August and rec'd all your paperwork? Please let us know............
    I would call either of the two guys listed on their web page to see what is up. I ordered about the same time and I have long since gotten my contract and recently the HC booklet and ID card from HC. Several folks that I referred to them have done the same.

The only "receipt" you should have gotten from Bernardi is the HC contract and maybe a little charge slip where they charged your CC. If you opted for the 0% finance deal that was available back then, you have to sign a form and return that before they can process your paperwork. If you got the contract but not the "installment agreement" then maybe that is missing in the mail somewhere?

Dennis
  • beer4704beer4704 Member Posts: 46
    The only "receipt" you should have gotten from Bernardi is the HC contract and maybe a little charge slip where they charged your CC.

That's what I rec'd. I will call them on Monday and rattle a few cages........... ;)
  • startac345startac345 Member Posts: 2
    I recently read a thread that mentioned that the S2k was going to be "redesigned" for the 2006-2007 model year...Is that true?

I don't know how Honda could manange to make a better car this great > better, but hey, THEY MADE THIS CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE! :P w

hat changes are they making? Any links on this topic would be appreciated...

Thanks guys
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this discussion is about Honda extended warranties, I'm going to suggest you visit our Honda S2000 discussion to see what the rumors are, and if it looks like there's going to be a redesign, you can start a new topic about the future S2000 on our Future Vehicles board.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I am planning to purchase the warranty for my '05 Accord, but my mechanic suggests I CHECK FIRST -- WHAT does it cover, exactly....

Where can I find a LIST of all that the warranty covers? You'd think that an educated consumer would do that kind of research, before paying hundreds of dollars....
    What I'm really after is a DETAILED list...

Checking on the Honda site there is a line saying:

"Suspension, Steering and Brake System"

------ Well.... that's NOT what I expect to see before making a decision.... "Brake System" is a very general description I'd say, does is cover Rotors? Calipers? Brake Pads (of course, not)?
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Good question mamamia2, we need to, not only know what it covers, but what it does not cover in bold print. Many years ago, I saw a women pull up into the service dept area and requested warranty work on a air conditioner in her vehicle which had the extended warranty. The tech personnel told her that part, which was busted, was not covered under the extended warranty, but the other parts were. Go figure....Boy, was she livid
    This is what I found from one of the website that sells the Honda Care EW:

http://www.curryhondacare.com/coverage.cfm?CFID=529242&CFTOKEN=80822375
    Yes, thanks, that's exactly wha I was looking for...

...AND SO SHOULD ANYBODY BEFORE MAKING A DECISION TO PURCHASE THE HONDA (or any) EXTENDED WARRANTY...
  • ustynoskiustynoski Member Posts: 2
    Thank-u ... Very much!!!!
    I was under the impression that Bernardi is the cheapest. At least for the maximum, 8 year warranty.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    When you read the list of components covered under an extended warranty, including Honda Care, it looks great. More important though, is what is specifically NOT COVERED. You will find that many items, with which you will encounter failures, are not covered.

The link in post #666 contains both lists. I recommend that you scroll down to the WHAT IS NOT COVERED by Honda Care section and read it carefully. It is very enlightening.
    I don't see anything that "alarming" - just standard stuff for an extended warranty, just about every one I have seen including those like BMW CPO.

Dennis

Parts other than genuine HONDA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery (except for the nickelmetal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance: exhaust system, head pipes, tailpipes, catalytic converter; mufflers; hangars; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gaskand related fastening hardware); fuel system; fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads; clutch disc, clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing, external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass, mirror glass, body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers), hood fenders, doors, rear hatch, trunk lid, grille, panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLE color only); bumpers; moldings; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); HiIntensity Discharge (HID.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and windowrun channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); body seals; squeaks, rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstey; floor mats; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision. If YOU believe there is a defect in these parts, please contact YOUR DEALER immediately.
    dwynne,

That's precisely my point. For anyone considering paying $800 to $1,500 for an extended warranty, with or without deductibles, that is a very long list of UNCOVERED repairs.

I'll bet anything that the vast majority of purchasers of extended warranties do not read the lists carefully enough, at the time of purchase. Of course such careful reading would have precluded dissapointment and anger when the time came that they wanted to make a claim.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    While the list looks long it is mostly items excluded from all warranties. Honda Care is very inclusive. I believe just about every failure would be covered. "Cross threaded screws"? Come on, who covers that?
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    I however, would like an extended warranty that is like the original warranty, in that its bumper to bumper, and not have any excluded parts list. I would not mind if Honda went with the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and pay just a couple hundred bucks more for it, if they think their product is that good.....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    ...with the extended warranty.. vs. the original warranty...

When you have a problem during the initial warranty period, you take the car in, and they say, "We'll take care of it, and give you a call when it is done."

When you go in after the initial warranty has expired, and you are on the extended warranty, they say, It is a $150 diagnosis charge.. if it turns out that a warranted part caused the problem, then all charges will be covered.

So, by the time they get back to you with their reasoning on why your repair isn't covered, you are out the diagnosis charge, and are likely on the hook for higher-priced dealer repairs, rather than an independent shop... Also, I find that my local dealer (who I've used for 7 years on 4 different Hondas.. and who I've been generally satisfied with), seems to interpret every "gray area" as being "not covered" under the extended warranty..

Basically, it is good coverage for catastrophic failures (like the recent rash of A/C compressor problems on CR-Vs), but it sure doesn't extend that easy ownership experience, like you have for the first 3yr/36K.

Just my personal experience..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You don't have to use your dealership service.... Honda (any car manufacturer) must honor service and repair done by an established car repair shop, and must reimburse you, according to the contract.
    mamamia2,

Watch out. If you use a non-Honda repair shop, make sure that they use Honda OEM parts. The NOT COVERED section of the Honda Care extended warranty specifically excludes "Parts other than genuine HONDA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts"
    I was more indicating to the diagnosis charge -- which is only $103 at my dealership, btw -- but would certainly be cheaper (and sometimes FREE) at my Shell station around the corner....

And regarding genuine Honda parts, 2 years ago my '95 V6 Accord was stuck with a bad Distributor. My Shell guys replaced it with probably a generic part. Later I learned about the major (Emission-related) recall of my Accord. I called Honda, faxed them the Shell bill -- and got fully reimbursed.

...And in general, I think to pay about $930 for an 8-year warranty, with NO deductible (remember, otherwise it's a $100 PER CLAIM!) ---- makes a lot of sense. And I don't expect Honda to cover EVERYTHING... Really, there is quite a difference between a part that goes bad after 2 years of usage --- and 8 years of usage....

Few years back, when I bought a 1 year old Pontiac Grand Prix, the salesman offered me a GM extended warranty (can't recall the price I paid). I was so happy I bought it, 'cause within the 4 years we owned the car, the WHOLE brakes system had to be replaced (Master Cylinder included) --- which was done by my Shell guys, btw, and then the Transmission had to be rebuilt (at a local Pontiac's dealership).... All was fully covered by GM's extended warranty....

...On the other hand, of course, this is like buying ANY insurance policy.