Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a fair number of miles for a cat.
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    We are in the market for a new van to go along with our 91 Previa (238K. no drivetrain repairs ever). Like the the 04 Ody the best... can we trust the Ody to give us 100k - 150k without trans replacement?
  • smp3smp3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Odyssey needs a third transmission! It is going to take 3 weeks to get it. When I called Customer Service to request a rental, i was told that they would contact me within 4 days.
    They have yet to call me.

When i called them back, I was given the name of the person who was assigned the case. I was assured he would call me. Well, numerous more calls by me,and a detailed fax, yet, no one has called back. The different people who I spoke top took varying levels of interest from very sympathetic to total disinterest. One person told me that in fact they contacted the repair shop and were told that the transmission was replaced in 2002 and I have not been back there for two years. He would not believe me when I told them him that i was in fact at that shop four days earlier with the same problem and they again told me I needed a transmission. He also stated that they had earlier called the wrong repair shop who stated that I was there 4 months earlier

I told the customer rep, why didn't anyone call me so i can clarify the misinformation., I was assured that I would get a call back. I am still waiting.

This is frustrating and would hope that a Toyota Sienna will have less aggravation.

I fail to understand why my 88 accord has to be more reliable then a 2000 Odyssey., or, Why customer service is apparently as efficient as the transmission on my Odyssey!
  • steinbrechersteinbrecher Member Posts: 17
    Have you tried to contact the zone manager? Perhaps you can set up a meeting between yourself, the dealership and the zone manager to resolve this issue instead of going through customer no service.
  • lisalisa Member Posts: 10
    Been going thru posts of the past year and not 100% ure of the tranny problem symptoms...

I have an 00 Ody. I noticed it "lurching' at slower speeds. Dealer checked it and says no tranny problem... This weekend I noticed (after a long road trip) that when I accelerated the rpms went WAY up and my car wouldn't shift, then immediately shifted and lurched forward. The check engine light came on. I drove it this way for several miles. The problem goes away at high speeds (55+) then when I drive at lower speeds, the same problem - won't shift, hight rpms, lurching. When I put it in 2nd gear, it's okay.

I'm going to insist (on Monday) that this IS a transmission problem that needs attention. Does anyone know if these are classic sypmptoms of a tranny problem? This 00 Ody is my first automatic car in over 20 years. I know when the clutch fails...but transmissions are new to me!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Hard to believe it is not a transmission problem. Could possibly be a "computer chip" problem that is not controlling the transmission shifting properly. Try and get the Honda Service Manager in the car and take him for a drive and try and make the car act up with him in it. If you do this and still do not get a good response, call Honda Customer Care and complain Big Time and provide names and locations.

Good luck.
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    Can you use the 5sp AT which is used in the 2002 and later model in 1999-2001 model? Is there a compatibility issue with housing or software. Just curious. So far no problem with my 2000 odyssey, but crossing my fingers.

Alland
  • antonioantonio Member Posts: 12
    Should we or shouldn't we?
    Here is what I know so far! (From what I've read)
    - Bad transmissions from 1999 - 2004. Make sure previous owner has taken care of sched maint. and see if they have actually done the trans job yet or not!
    (If I am driving one, what shouold I do to see if the trans. symptom is there?)
    - Faulty electric door locks on 1999 & 2000? ANy more info?
    - Anything else I should look out for if testing one out?

Many Thanks,

Antonio (^_^)
    highvibe@earthlink.net
    Look at the recent Consumer Reports magazine that just came out. It shows several years of reliability data for used cars and does not show a problematic transmission with the Ody. Personally, I would consider buying a used Ody beginning with the '01 model. I own a '03 and no problems so far.

Good luck!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Things have a way of getting overblown in these forums. The VAST MAJORITY of Odysseys have and won't have transmission problems.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    What do you think of the information that Alabama plant worker over in Odyssey: Future Models has been disseminating? He talks about a design defect the Ody trans had and the Alabama plant found it, but the Canadian plant had already shipped lots of product before it was caught.

Go read some of his posts and see what you think - is his stuff legit?
  • mich_zimamich_zima Member Posts: 2
    The check engine light of my 2000 Odyssey with 96,000 miles began to go off and on in November. By December it was staying on. I suspected O2 sensors since it was time for them to go and this was the same failure sequence I'd seen on two other vehicles. The dealership parts department acted like I was an idiot as "we haven't had to replace those". I then paid for the diagnostics and was told the catalytic converter was failing. Before paying over $700, I decided to replace the O2 sensors anyway. The rear sensor that plugged into the catalytic converter was very badly fouled. Hmmm! Now the check engine light is off and I don't notice any performance problems. I also decided to replace the PCV valve and got the same answer - 'we've never had to replace those'. I decided to do it anyway and found it to be all clogged up. It cost less then $5 to replace and a little effort to find where it was hidden under the engine cover.
    Where is this guy posting? You never know if these guys are for real, a disgruntled ex-employee or the competition.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Look for posts by Bambaboy over in Honda Odyssey Owners: Future Models.

Steve, Host
    I did go over to that forum and I read his postings. I have no idea if he is for real or not.

I have to wonder how Honda management feels about his loose lips especially when related to upcoming new product.
  • dannodanno Member Posts: 114
    Sounds like he is for real IMHO. I am sure Honda management would love to shut him down.
  • steinbrechersteinbrecher Member Posts: 17
    Seems like we have the same symptoms with our '99. Haven't replaced the O2 sensor or the PCV. Does anyone know if there is an EGR in this vehicle as well?
  • paul8paul8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ODY with 43000 miles on it. The transmission failed, it would not change from 2nd gear to 3rd. This lasted 5 days and finally the check engine light illuminated. The good news is Honda replaced it for zero cost to me. I am disappointed though. Bought a Honda for their reliability. Anyone else having problems with the new transmission?
  • mbrassettembrassette Member Posts: 3
    In the last week, two times, I've had the transmission slip (it appears) at around 30 mph when shifting gears (I presume from 2nd to 3rd). It basically starts to shift, but instead behaves as if in neutral, with the rpms continuing to climb, but no acceleration. I have to let off of the accelerator, which seems to allow it to shift, then continue on.

I'm only at 35K miles and plan to take it in soon. Anyone in the Houston area had this looked at before and able to recommend a dealer that won't give me a hard time?
  • tabbeanbootabbeanboo Member Posts: 10
    Things have a way of getting overblown in these forums. The VAST MAJORITY of Odysseys have and won't have transmission problems.

My guess is after the recall today the above msg should exclude "won't".
    I sold Hondas years ago and at this moment own a 2003 Odyssey.....I'm a die hard fan of Honda...now I am considering going with the Sienna......I just won't go thru this tranny thing....that's why I didn't buy Chrysler.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Odyssey transmission problems are overblown in the Town Hall just as DC minivan transmission problems or Toyota engine sludge problems have been.
         I do not question the fact that some people have had these problems but they are in the small minority of owners.
         Why haven't these problems occurred in these vehicles owned by people I know?
    Looks like the Ody trans problem was more significant than anyone cared to admit.(2% not even close, small minority not likely) That's not the problem! Why did Edmund's, Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Consumer Digest, JD Powers and Motor Trend not pick this up? Ody has had major trans problems since 1999. Before this massive (600,000 vehicles!) recall Honda quietly extended the warranties on 1990 to 2002 trans on ODY, and TL. Yet the Car guides never said a thing. What does that say about their so called ratings?????
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Agree with post #441.

If this had been GM or Chrysler, the problem would have been complained about by every Tom, Dick, and Harry in every magazine.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Yep. Seems like the auto reviewers have a "Stepford Wives" like mentatlity with regards to Hondas. Everything is great....
  • impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    IIRC, Ody was never rated excellent in the CR reliability ratings. In fact, either in 2001 or 02 Ody only had an average rating, exactly the same as that of T&C for that year.

But, unlike Chrysler/Ford, Honda took care of their customers. Even for issuing the ABS recall for early 90s Vans, Chrysler had to be forced by NHTSA. That's not the case with Honda although they only have 10 severe failures on vehicles with very high mileage. If the so called big three are looked upon differently by many, they only have themselves to blame.
    Things do get overblown in these forums. The Toyota sludge problem is a better example of this.

I'm glad, however, that Honda recognizes a problem and has stepped up to the plate to take care of their customers. Hopefully they can get this behind them.

tabbeanboo,

What's to say that your new Sienna won't have problems of it's own? No car is immune from problems.
    "I'm a die hard fan of Honda...now I am considering going with the Sienna......I just won't go thru this tranny thing...."

So you are going to lose $1,000's trading an essentially new van for another one because of a potential transmission problem the manufacturer has admitted to and is offering to fix?? How will you feel when a tranny recall comes out for your new Sienna??
    I recall that Toyota had to recall the first 35,000 '04 Siennas made to fix the gas tank that leaked in the crash tests.

Steve, Host
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Honda is going to modify the flow of transmission fluid to fix this situation. I wonder what problems this "fix" might cause down the road? This is not how they designed the transmission in the first place, this looks like a patch job to me.
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    for people who were having transmission failures before 75k miles. Normally I'm against fanning the flames but I did have 3 friends with failed transmission before 75k. Honda did replace all three at $0 cost eventually but not before some work on their part.

"patch job" If that patch job gets you to 7-10 years on your tranny....do you really care?
    That is not that much time for a Honda. What about resale value? Isn't that what people here have been saying about their Honda's over the other minivans?

And who is to say that you will get 7-10 years with this so called fix!

Honda stepped up to the plate, but will the fix be a hit or a foul ball?
  • tabbeanbootabbeanboo Member Posts: 10
    Chrysler problem overblown? You've got to be kidding me. I'm a die hard Honda fan but that does not mean I only buy Hondas. I've owned used Chrysler vans before and had a problem with everyone but one with the tranny. I can't believe you said "overblown".
    I love this forum....we all do our homework...we need not kid ourselves though..this tranny problem has been going on since 1999...that's 5 years now and that IMHO is way to long to not come up with a fix. Honda is a better company that this. My question at this point is will honda use the same tranny in the 2005?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Most of the people I know that have had NO problems purchased a NEW Chrysler van.
         People who buy a used Odyssey are MUCH more likely to get an Odyssey with transmission problems than those who buy their Odyssey new.
         Most owners keep a good vehicle but trade off one with problems.
  • spartanmannspartanmann Member Posts: 197
    The original Odyssey tranny problem was with certain 2000 and 2001 models. It was a manufacturing problem with the 4 speed auto. The 99 models did not experience the same problems but they covered them also as a PR gesture.

The latest recall is on the 5 speed auto which was introduced on 2002 models. It appears to be a design problem as opposed to a manufacturing problem. This accounts for the recall approach instead of the previous warranty extension.

In either case, it is a concern, but to say that auto reviewers will ignore the problem because it is a Honda is ridiculous. Consumers Reports is the one to watch as they mix product performance with reliabilty history to rank vehicles. Most other publications only look at the vehicle and let the owner decide for themselves on reliability.

If Honda brass and their obnoxious zone reps learn a little humility from all this, then maybe there is a silver lining after all!
    "Modify the flow of transmission fluid" It took 4 years for Honda engineers to come up with this? Actually 650,000 units were recalled...50,000 in Canada.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    The 99 models did not experience the same problems but they covered them also as a PR gesture.

At 68K miles om my 99 Odyssey, my transmission went out. Mine was built after the "bad parts from a supplier story" from Honda about the 99 model year. Honda covered my rebuilt transmission. It took 2 other bad transmissions being shipped to my dealer and 21 days to get it done.
     At the time, Honda did not include the 99's in their 100K mile warranty extension. I was quoted $6000 plus labor for a transmission by my dealer. I figured that Honda was not going to pay me for a second bad transmission, so I traded it in 2 weeks later.
          BTW the dealer had my battery disconnected so long, the radio needed to be programmed with a code., They told me I was on my own for that.
     . Fortunately, I kept that information in a folder.
      You may want to check that you have that number when your transmission fails..
       The reason for the recall is that the transmission may lock up in a different failure mode than previous failures. This could be life threatening. Imagine a transmission lock up at 65 MPH on an Interstate.
    I remember reading about the person with an Acura that had his transmission shift down to first gear while doing about 70 mph. That was about a year or so ago and Honda started looking into this problem back then. If you do a search I am sure you can still find that story.

I don't think that most of us have to worry about something like that happening, the chances are small according to Honda.
  • laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    Post 457 "I don't think that most of us have to worry about something like that happening, the chances are small according to Honda."

I would tend to agree with that statement if what I heard last night over dinner is true from a neighbor. He had indicated he read in some other publication (trying to find out where) that the recall was rooted in issues arising from towing heavy loads within the realm of the manufacturers specification (he didn't say if it was the Pilot or the Odyssey). Probably just a few percent of Odyssey owners pull loads of any signficance since few have the tow package on them.

I happen to have bought the vehicle with the full intention of pulling a 3000# boat and trailer on the highway and I am rather concerned. Having a tranny drop to 1st or lockup is bad enough with just the van on the highway, but absolutely a disaster when pulling an additional load (almost twice the momentum).

Got to wonder how the patch will work for a externally cooled transmission that comes with the trailer package - will there be an interaction?
  • spartanmannspartanmann Member Posts: 197
    I was lucky, my 99 went 285,000 miles without a hitch. It is still going now in my company's pool fleet. You were fortunate that your problem occurred after the 2000-2001 tranny problems surfaces. Had you racked up a lot of miles right away like I did, you would have been out of luck on a replacement. I doubt your failure was related to the later problems. All vehicles have some number of tranny failures and you drew one of the short straws. You actually did well to get that much out of Honda. Above the dealer level they have never been known for their concern handling customer problems.
    Negative thinking people are calling the "fix" a "patch".

I'm sure some red faced engineers have spent a lot of long hours on this one.
  • robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    made in Japan?

Are any made in USA or Canada?

Thanks for the info.

robsdad
  • laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    I am a mechanical engineer and I can truely tell you there are differences between a "fix" and a "patch". A true fix is a 100% resolution of the problem for all potential applications, past and present and future. A patch, on the otherhand, may resolve many application issues, but not all. Many times the "patch" gets the problem portion of the product cost efficiently out of the manufacturers warranty coverage versus the bulletproof fix which often is dramatically more costly and may involve complete removal and replacement of the problem system. Not everyone will be happy, but enough will be happy to preserve the company's reputation.

Making the coolant flow a different way is a patch in my book. Replacing the transmission outright is the fix for best long term reliability, which is what the folks who own the vehicle would probably want. Actually, just extending the warranty to 7 yr/100k would satisfy my concerns, but obviously, the problem is probably serious enough that the cost to do that was financially too much for Honda and a lower cost "patch" was selected in its place (get them to 36k miles, then the consumer is on his own without the extended warranty).
    The Honda drivetrain warranty is the same as the Venture - 3/36. That's a bit skinny these days when the Quest and Sienna have a 5/60 drivetrain warranty and the Grand Caravan goes to 7/70.

Competing Vehicles

Steve, Host
    With all due respect...

I seriously doubt Honda would risk their reputation by using a short term "patch" just to get it past it's warranty period.

You are making some negative assumptions here.

I would bet the vast majority of owners will experience no problems anyway.
    "I am a mechanical engineer and I can truly tell you there are differences between a "fix" and a "patch". A true fix is a 100% resolution of the problem for all potential applications, past and present and future. "

If you are an engineer, then you should know that there is no such thing as 100% resolution to a mechanical problem for all potential applications, past, present, and future (you teach at a university?).

If the Honda engineers think the problem is adequate lubrication flow, why would changing out the transmission fix it? If it still has a lube problem, what have you fixed?? As far as getting to the 36K to be out of warranty, there are countless posters on here who have transmission problems past the 36K and Honda has fixed them free of charge.

Your reasoning seems to fit a preconceived.
    If the transmission fluid wasn't reaching a certain part in the transmission, then why wasn't it? Was this sloppy manufacturing/quality control or a poorly designed transmission?

There is such a thing as cause and effect. When the transmission is modified, what effect will this have on another area?

This looks like a patch as a fix it up and hope it works down the road. Remember, Honda didn't see this problem in the first place and only time/miles will see if this fix/patch really works.
  • jmelohiojmelohio Member Posts: 1
    It's not only Odyssey's, other Honda Vehicles affected as well.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040415-1.htm

Honda recalls 600,000 Odysseys, Pilots and MDXs

I still think they are great vehicles. I have not had a bad experience, however I count Honda will do a good job at fixing this and any PR issues. Honda (to me) has a great record on keeping their customers. (4 vehicles w/them and counting)
  • kimo9kimo9 Member Posts: 71
    ....about this transmission recall and he said it doesn't affect all Odysseys. "It depends on which plant your van came from." He also said it depends on each van and that the VIN could be run. He made it a point to say that Honda would contact me if my van needed repair. Last, he asked if I planned on going on any 5-6 hour trips. Some bearing apparently heats up on long trips because of lack of lubrication. So, long trips and heavy loads exacerbate the problem.
  • coleboycoleboy Member Posts: 13
    I am one of those owners currently experiencing transmission problems. It first started back in January '04. The service department told me the transmission fluid was dirty so they flushed and replaced it. Van ran OK.
    Last Thursday, coincidently the same date as when the recall news hit the papers, I was driving in traffic and went to accelerate from 25 to 30 mph and didn't go anywhere. Car felt like it was in neutral! Called the dealer and brought it in. He agreed that the transmission seemed to be slipping but wanted to wait until they had some details from Honda as to how to proceed with it and whether my car was involved in the recall. Meanwhile, I'm still commuting 35 miles each way to work. I find myself watching those RPM's and feeling that transmission! Truthfully I am very nervous about driving my van now! It's a 2002 with 80K miles on it. I've always had Hondas for the reliability but my confidence in them has been shaken! I never know when the vehicle is going to have a fit and not allow me to accelerate when needed! Especially when I'm on the highway a lot.
This discussion has been closed.