Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    The tranny on my 1999 EX has been giving serious slippage and hard shifting problems, along with the CEL coming on. I wonder if Honda would do anything for me on this one with this much mileage?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Them's a lot of miles! Doesn't cost anything to ask, but I wouldn't shoot for the moon. Even the extended tranny warranty Honda is passing out to owners of 2000/2001 models only goes to 100k.

Steve, Host
  • the_droid_00the_droid_00 Member Posts: 7
    My 2001 Ody with 27,000 miles, had the CEL and TCS lights on. I took the van in for service last wednesday. The codes identified the problem as EGR system clogged. Honda has provided the dealers with an EGR Port Pipe Kit to fix the problem permanently after the dealer cleans out the clogged ports. Problem fixed under warranty.
  • dawnw2dawnw2 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to hear more about your problems. Sounds very similar to my own. Did you routinely get the service done at a Honda dealer and was your transmission fluid changed, if so how often?
    They are refusing to pay for my transmission that failed at 62K. All oil and fluid checks were done routinely but not at the dealer. I have now taken it to a transmission shop and he tells me the failure was NOT my fault and the transmission fluid was still clear when it failed (except for the metal shavings in it). Still, Honda has been uncooperative. We've gone all the way to the top and they won't budge. I'm looking at a $4,500 replacement on this out of my own pocket. Thanks
    So that problem has continued on into the 2001 engines, too! I had it on my 1999 and there was a TSB out on it for 1998 Accords. You'd think they would have fixed that by now.
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    I wonder if you had the transmission service done at a Honda Dealer, if that would have made a difference that they would have repaired it at a reduced cost? Did you try AMCO or another local transmission Dealer?
  • alisa4homealisa4home Member Posts: 5
    I would keep calling Honda Corporate on their 800 number. They did agree to fix ours and we had 50,000 miles. I hope that enough 99 owners will call them and ask them to include the 99 in the extended warranty. There is no reason that they shouldn't. Even if you are not having problems now you may be one day.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    In this post you said that the dealer denied assistance because you had not had your transmission fluid changed. Now you're changing your story, have you got documentation to prove you changed your transmission fluid or not?
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Information from Honda Ownerlink service/maintenance recalls section...

October 2002

Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension

Dear Accord, Odyssey and Prelude Owners:

American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for the automatic transmission on all 2000-01 Accords, Odysseys, and Preludes. The automatic transmission and torque converter are now covered for a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of original sale. We are providing this warranty extension because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in certain vehicles may have problems due to defects in material or workmanship beyond the 3-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.

How do I know if there is a problem with my vehicle's automatic transmission?
    If you think your vehicle has a transmission problem, refer to the operating characteristics below. Understanding these characteristics can help you decide if you need to call your Honda dealer.

These characteristics are normal; they should not require you to call your Honda dealer.

Quick downshifts. The transmission has a computerized control system called grade logic. When going down a hill, even a light touch of the brake pedal can cause grade logic to downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting helps to slow the vehicle through engine braking.

Does not always shift through the full range of gears. This can also be caused by the grade logic system keeping the transmission in the optimum gear for different driving conditions.

Mechanical noise when selecting a forward or reverse gear. It's normal to hear a slight mechanical noise when moving the shift lever from one gear to another. This noise can sound abnormally loud if any of the windows are down and you are parked next to a wall or another vehicle.

Vehicle may not hold its position when stopped on an incline in gear (may roll backward when the brake pedal is released). This can occur on most Honda-made vehicles. It is one of the measures used to improve fuel economy.

Hard shifts before the engine warms up. By design, the transmission shifts a little harder when the engine is cold. It returns to smoother shifting when the engine warms up.

These characteristics are not normal; if you experience any of them, call your Honda dealer.

While driving, the D4 indicator on the instrument panel flashes.

An abnormally loud noise from the transmission.
    Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts, or downshifts.
    Abnormal gear slippage during upshifts or downshifts.
    Erratic or excessively harsh shifting.
    Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) leaks.

In the next few weeks, owners of potentially affected vehicles will be sent a copy of this letter along with reimbursement instructions in case they previously paid to have the transmission repaired or replaced.

It's important to maintain your vehicle's transmission according to the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. Not maintaining the transmission properly can void the warranty coverage.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
    Honda Automobile Division
  • dawnw2dawnw2 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, not changing my story, just clarifying it. I had oil changed and all fluids checked every 3-5k miles. The transmission fluid was NOT CHANGED because it always checked out OK. Dumb mistake I now know. Work was not done at a Honda dealer.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    How does tranny fluid "check out okay?" Per your owner's manual, the 30k service requires that the ATF be replaced. You either changed it or didn't. There's no way for you or the mechanic to know if the ATF is still good or not without a lab analysis.
    Try changing the linear solenoid and flushing the fluid. It apparently won't work in all cases, but it's worth a try. See my post to auburn63 in the Ody Problems Board. Since I did it myself, the cost was about $225.00. The dealer quoted around $450.00. It seems to have worked for me; and it's a heckuva lot cheaper than a rebuilt tranny.
  • notl7notl7 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission in our '99 Odyssey failed at 45,000 miles of very conservative driving (jerky shifting in low gears). Ironically, I had purchased the extended warranty, then cancelled it, thinking "I bought a Honda for reliability, so why purchase the extended warranty?" Even so, we only had to pay for labor for the new trans. It gets better. ~15,000 miles later, we heard grinding noises. The dealer said it was still on warranty and put in yet another trans. for free. But this one only has a 12,000 mile/1 year warranty. I was shocked to read the ~$5,000 cost of a new transmission. I am definitely going to discuss this with Honda and get my name on the list of owners demanding extended coverage. Information will be appreciated.
  • mghorethmghoreth Member Posts: 14
    msschafer,
    I also did the fluid flush and changed the linear solenoid (Honda paid for the parts, $150 labor out of my pocket). I also thought this fixed the problem..... that is until about 5K miles later. I now have a new transmission that Honda put in (parts, labor & rental included).
  • reandersonreanderson Member Posts: 1
    msschafer,
    How did you get them to pay for the labor and rental? What warranty did you get? My tranny is on backorder (p0740 code), they don't even want to do the flush/solenoid--went straight to replacement -- my labor cost $630, and a 12/12k mile warranty. This at 58k miles, serviced regularly. Haven't "discussed" with Honda US yet, was trying to determine strategy. Did you get this deal through Honda USA, or the district service manager? Any tips / ideas would be appreciated.
  • oddy01oddy01 Member Posts: 3
    New to this board. We just bought a 01 Oddy with 26.5k miles from a private sale 2 weeks ago, and already the tranny shifts really rough between 20-25 mph when cold. No, not 'hard shifts' as stated in the normal conditions on the letter of Tranny Warranty Extension. Took it to the dealership today and received a call from them of, you guess it, Transmission Replacement. Hope the extended warranty, 4/48000 miles, we bought from the seller covers any out-of-pocket cost we might incurred. We do have a $100 deductible. Anyway, enjoy the board alot. Will come back later.
  • bgv99bgv99 Member Posts: 4
    Our 2000 Odyssey developed has developed a major problem .We were told that there was a "Material failure in the Head Assembley,the camshaft siezed, resulting in the breakage of Timing belt damage to the engine head and valves etc." The van has been at the dealer for almost 12 days now.They have to put in a new engine head and another one has been sent to the machine shop.This is a well maintained vehicle with 39k miles on it.Has anyone else had a problem like this?What is the prognosis in future? To think we waited for a year for this vehicle!We had just bought a Honda care warranty ,but they told us that they can give us a 'loaner' for 4 days only.
    Thank you in advance for your input.
  • camryinthcamryinth Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information. I just went to Honda website and printed out a copy for myself. I am sure the dealer wondeny it if the time ever comes but you never know.

Thanks again.
  • mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    My 1999 Odyssey's transmission is making a noise and I was told I need to have it replaced. The dealer says a rebuilt will cost $6,000. I contacted Honda corporate and was told the 1999's are being handled on a case by case basis. Still waiting to hear back.

At this point, if I have to pay $6,000 for repairs, I might as well buy a Chrysler. Well, that might be a little drastic, but I'll definitely be looking at the new Toyota Siennas.

Meanwhile, I'm pricing an extended warranty for my MDX.
    It's been 8 days now since the dealer told us about replacing the transmission. Because our vehicle is a 'grey market' situation, manufacture warranty does not apply. We're still waiting for the dealer transfers my name to the extended warranty. In the mean time, we took our van home with us. Not sure how long it will take. It's very frustrating. Any thought or suggestion? Thanks and happy transmission....he he.
    No help from the dealer, but Honda corporate has offered to pay about 2/3rds of the cost to replace my transmission.

I asked why they wouldn't cover all of the costs, considering the problems they've had with the transmissions. They said that the '99's have a different transmission than the the '00's and '01's, and they haven't identified any defect in the '99's. Considering I have 82,000 on my Odyssey, I'm satisfied with the offer.

By the way, I priced an extended warranty on my MDX, and actually got a better price from the dealer than Warranty direct.
  • origkdsorigkds Member Posts: 2
    Our 1999 Odyssey with 68,000 miles is going to have the transmission replaced because of the symptoms described in service bulletin 065 (loud clank in reverse gear). This has been happening intermittently since it was new, but we could not reproduce the problem in front of the dealer until last week. After sending out an investigator/claims adjuster, our extended warranty company has agreed to pay for a transmission rebuilt by a third party with a 12 month/12k mile warranty. The dealer said we would have to pay extra if we wanted a Honda factory rebuilt with a 3 year/36k mile warranty. Two questions-Does anyone know if their is any difference in quality between the two transmissions? And, should I take up the entire matter with Corporate Honda? Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
    Finally, I was told by the dealer today that I have been accepted by Underwriter and I can bring my van back to them (the dealer) so they can start replacing the transmission. Funny, if it took them 3 weeks to transfer my name to the extended warranty, I wonder how long it would take them to replace the transmission. I am very hesitant about all this situation. That's it for now, happy transmission...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve, Host
    Per previous posts for my '99 Odyssey with 82,000 miles. Quoted $6,000 by the dealer to replace the transmission. Honda corporate agreed to pay all but $2,036. Picked up my van today and the local Honda dealer covered half the cost. Not bad considering where I started.

Thanks to Edmunds Town Hall and all it's contributors
    I was first told by the dealer there was nothing they could do, and by corporate that the '99's don't have any factory problems. If it weren't for Edmunds Town Hall I would have just paid the $6,000 (or went to a local transmission shop for a cheaper job).
  • moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    Were you grilled on maintenance documentation, receipts etc, to qualify for the warranty repair?
    No grilling, although I did tell them when I had it performed. The dealer had records, and I had one transmission flush done by a local garage.

Since it's a transmission, the maintenance is easier to document since it isn't required every 7,500 like an oil change.

Anyway, no grilling or hassle.
  • stratsrulestratsrule Member Posts: 1
    after 30,000 miles of mostly trouble free driving( I won't mention the power sliding door problems) our 01 odyssey transmission began downshifting hard enough to give us whiplash at low speeds. our dealer has agreed to replace it free (ref. Honda America's oct 21 letter extending the warranty) However, the first replacement didn't even make it home, we had to take it right back due to a loud metal on metal noise at low speeds, now another 2 weeks in the shop...
  • larcklarck Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2000LX and have not had any trany problems (knock on wood!!) I took it to the dealer Thursday 11/21 for a routine transmission fluid change at 33,000 miles. The service writer informed me that Honda has extended the warranty on the transmission and I should be getting notification in the mail. Has anyone actually received notification?
  • l5tcl5tc Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 LX that has 35K on it. I've just noticed for that first time a Clunk/lurch from a cold start which I know has never been there. I can also feel it shift somtimes, something else that I know never was happening. The transmission used to run seemlessly all the time, even from a cold start. I just want to know how to approach the dealer with this problem.

Of couse this started just when I'm about to sell it. I want to make sure that it's fixed and who ever buys this from me isn't stuck with a tranny that's about to go flooey.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • DonlingDonling Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list! Here is my tale.
    At 47,700 miles, the Check engine light as well as the TCS light lit up on my 1999 Odyssey. The engine would rev and there would be delay in shifting. I took it to the dealer, who flushed the transmission fluid. One day later, the Check engine light was back on and back to the dealer I went. ANNND ... you guessed it --- New transmission that would cost me $5000 for parts and labor.
    Thanks to similar discussion boards here on Edmunds, I got the Idea to call American Honda (800)999-1009. I informed them of my situation, and the person that I spoke to stated that each complaint is handled by a case-by-case basis. I further stated that I learned in the Edmunds.com discussion boards that my situation was not unique. I proceeded to tell her that I was also aware that the 2000 and 2001 Odyssey models had their warranties automatically extended. I then requested any help in the matter that they could give me. I did mention that I had read that others had parts and labor covered.
    5 days later a representative called me back stating that American Honda would cover for parts and labor, and after my local dealership kept on giving me the runaround by not calling me back during the period of one week, American Honda stated they would pay for a rental. The dealership gave me a loner instead, which they told me weeks before that they did not have.

New part is warrantied for only 12 months and 12,000 miles.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    with a re-engineered 4 speed or the newer 5 speed? Just curious, since I'd trust the 5-speed design slightly more than a 'new' 4 speed if it wasn't re-engineered to cure the original issue.
  • mghorethmghoreth Member Posts: 14
    In a previous post, I told my good fortune of Honda America covering my '99 transmission in full (parts, labor & rental). I had 58K on it when it failed a few months ago and no extended warranty.
    Well here's even BETTER news. They have now reimbursed me for all related misc trans. expenses that I had incurred (flush and labor for solenoid change) earlier. This amounted to almost $300. I cashed the check yesterday.
    The also sent me a letter extending my warranty to 7years/100K miles.
    This is the same policy they have on the '00-'01.
    Will I buy another Honda? ABSOLUTELY!

My advice - Push Honda for everything. When they call you after the repair, tell them how happy you are that they replace the transmission BUT....

I never had to get angry or upset, just persistant!

Good luck.
  • jlarson5jlarson5 Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I'm in shock that this is a common problem. Someone recommended that I read about transmission problems on this board, and I'm glad I did.

I have a 01 Odyssey and the check engine light is usually always on, but the TCS light only comes on intermittently. When we took it to the dealer, they said they couldn't get the TCS light to come on, and they had to order the part to fix the check engine light.

It took about 3 weeks and then they called to schedule the appointment to fix "the check engine light".

So my question is, is there are part that will fix the transmission or do I need to be pushing the dealer for a whole new one?

The van runs rough like it's being held back, and I do have the big clunk sometimes when I put it in reverse. I didn't even connect the dots.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • mercmaraudermercmarauder Member Posts: 22
    Sadly, you need a new tranny. Probably a waiting list, so you'd better get your order in soon...
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    Yea, there is a part that will fix your tranny. Unfortunately, that part is a clutch pack assembly(3rd gear if I'm not mistaken). Your dealer will remove your existing tranny and provide you with a remanufactured one. Your old unit will then get the rebuilt and ready to be dropped into another van. Wish twere easy, but it never is.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I had the check engine light and the TCS both come on simutaneously. I called my dealer on my cellphone and drove directly there. They told me two things. 1) you have no reverse, 2) you need a new transmission. Maybe you'll get my remanufactured 99 that is being replaced. Best of luck.
  • wsc9ttwsc9tt Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Odyssey that is a Canadian model that I bought new from a US dealer. (That is a longer story and I still feel complete had.) The van did come with a 60,000 mile 3rd party warranty.

I have ~30,000 miles on the van right now, and still love it. I don't think I am having any transmission problems, but the discussions about TCS and Check Engine make me nervous, because they do come on.

I do all my own servicing so I don't have any receipts for oil changes and the like, but I do have hand written notes. And after reading this forum I am going to change the tranny oil right away.

So the question: If I have problems, do I have any hope of getting Honda to cover the repairs???
  • petertpetert Member Posts: 23
    I received the Extended Transmission Warranty
    mail today. It covers 2000, 2001 Odyssey, Accord
    and Prelude to 7 years and 100,000 miles.

There is a detail description of the problems
    and a reimbersement form for who had paid for
    the tranny problems.

I had my 2000 Odyssey EX installed with a
    remanufactured transmission at 30,000 miles
    three months ago. The problem is still existing
    with the new one. I'll watch it for a while.
  • jay_dee_essjay_dee_ess Member Posts: 1
    I used to own a '01 Honda Odyssey EX, which was technically my wife's van. I didn't drive it at all until about a month after we owned it. I couldn't believe just how bad it really was. The sound system is the worst that I have ever seen in a car, even though it is the most expensive one you can get in an Odyssey.

The transmission went a while ago, along with both power sliding doors (which we disabled entirely because nobody had the patience for them).

Now we just bought a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES, and I can't believe how much better it is. The 10 speakers with 360 watts, the sunroof, the heated leather, 3-zone automatic climate control, it's all better. The transmission is perfect (touch-wood) so far, as well. This van handles much better on the road. The power doors (and liftgate) are only power if you press the button (one major advantage over the Honda).

In conclusion, I am sorry for you and wish you the best of luck with your transmission if you bought/leased a Honda Odyssey!

• daisydavidaisydavi Member Posts: 5
    I'm back to follow up on my story. The same lights came on again after my service advisor at Honda Carland in Georgia sent me home, after the computer registered a "torque converter unit malfunction" error code.

The van (54,000 miles) was bucking, especially at lower speed, bad going uphill. My grade logic was not working. My van always banged on reverse when cold.

They confirmed the problem with the transmission after I told them all I read on the message boards about the transmission problems. I have to wait two weeks for the "re-manufactured" transmission. The service advisor said the part is basically "New", it is only called re-manufactured because it is not manufactured in the original plant the van was made.
    (I can't comprehend this?!)

I asked him if it was new, then it must be a 5- speed transmission as in the newer models. He said, "probably not, because the van would need a new computer, I will check on this for you."

This is all after paying $400(labor, parts, tax) for new front brake pads and re surfacing of all the brake drums. (This is the 3rd time I have replaced the pads)

What else can I do?? I an seriously thinking of trading it in after it's repaired.
  • 4boys4boys Member Posts: 1
    We have the transmission problems of all problems. Our Honda Odyssey with 10,500 miles and 6 months in service has taken a big crap in the middle of no where for the second time in one week. On our Christmas break/vacation we traveled to Los Angeles from Cedar Rapids, Iowa for a trip to Disneyland. When arriving in LA we noticed the check engine light, the TCS and the D4 (blinking) indicator on. We took to a local dealer in CA who diagnosed a failed transmission. It took them three days to get the new one in. We picked the van on Friday, 1/3 at 7 pm and headed back to Iowa. On Saturday, 1/5, the same three lights came back on. Shortly after the lights came back on the entire electrical system went out. We are now stranded in the middle of no where (Green River, UT) waiting for the dealership in Grand Junction, CO to open on Monday, 1/6. Honda customer service plus local dealer (Chezik Sayers, Iowa City, IA) was/is no help. I called Honda customer service on 12/31 after the first problem and have not received a return phone call. This story puts any story by Clark Grizwald to shame. We are concerned that the approximate $1,000 in expenses incurred will be at our expense. Any one else having the same problems. Stranded in the middle of the mountains and Canyons with 4 Boys.
  • davidm12davidm12 Member Posts: 12
    Don't know if this is related to the transmission problems, but since last week my 2000 Odyssey has been making very loud noises whenever the TCS light comes on (and it has been coming on quite a bit due to a lot of driving in the snow the last week). Has anyone else experienced this?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If you notice that the TCS (traction control system)light and the noise are simultaneous,and it happens when you accelerate from a stop, all is well. The noise you are hearing is the antilock brakes stopping the spinning wheel from spinning. To test this, on a snowy empty parking lot, accelerate quickly trying to spin the wheels and see if the noise and the light come on together.Then slam on the brakes and hold them and see if just the noise appears. The noise and pedal vibration is normal if the antilock brakes are working properly. If both of these tests work as described everything is ok, if not see your dealer.
  • mackey4mackey4 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 EX with 23,000 miles. I purchased the HondaCare extended warranty because of the transmission and power sliding door issues raised on the Edmunds site. Now that Honda has extended the warrranty on the transmission, shouldn't I be entitled to a rebate of some of the cost of HondaCare? How much?
  • davidm12davidm12 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, hayneldan. What you're describing sounds like exactly what's happening in my case.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I would not expect any refund. Plus doesn't your warranty cover items other then the transmission?
  • sdbryant1sdbryant1 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen a lot of discussion on earlier models of the Odyssey having transmission problems after reaching ~50K miles. Has anyone experienced similar problems on the 2002 or 2003 models.

Also, has anyone placed an official complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Not sure why you would need to cmplain to the NHTSA since honda has admitted there is a problem and has extended the warranty on the 2000-2002 transmissions to 100k miles. If yu have a problem with the transmission, go to Honda. It's no secret. Supposingly the trannies were fixed for the 2003 model year. But even then you are at least covered for the next 3 years.
  • rcole1rcole1 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 02 Odyssey W/16K miles bought Dec 01. No warning or indicator lights, just occasional shudder and hard shift into 3rd. Dealer diagnosed for 6 hours without finding cause. Worked with Honda Technicians to find out if problem was in the computer or transmission, apparently was in transmission since Honda authorized replacement. I'm told this is one of the first 02's to have problems, but that does not appear to be the case. I'm really disappointed given the supposed quality of Honda. Even more disappointed considering I bought an 02 Acura TL-S at the same time. Although programed differently, I'm sure it is the same 5 speed transmission. I would recommend anyone who has the occasional hard shudder from their 02 Odyssey when shifting take it in for a look. My case shows you are not always going to get indicator lights when there is a problem. The service has not been bad so far. Two days to authorize replacement and I'm told it will be in next week. I will ask Honda for rental expenses.
This discussion has been closed.