Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Pioneer

Mark.
  • johndix60johndix60 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks. Do you know which other OEM's have Pioneer systems?

Thanks,
    John
  • rnargrnarg Member Posts: 27
    The optional "Audiophile/6-CD In Dash" system offered without the Nav package is not worth the Mfg $695.00 cost. Only if you must have the 6CD in dash factory package should you consider this option. The sound quality however is in my opinion extremely poor. There are 7 speakers, but the mid range (or at least one of the ranges) sounds tinny and distorted. This is in sharp contrast to the factory "Audiophile" option I had on my 2004 F150 Lariat. That system sounded better than the optional systems offered in BMW and Mercedes. I guess I expected the same quality in the Escape, but I am sadly disappointed.

The Ford Escape Keyless Entry Keypad offered only as an accessory on the 2008 FEH works great! It is smaller and more compact than previous models and takes no wiring or drilling to install. Programing is simple (directions included) and the unit is backlit and programed to the same frequency as your remote keyless entry.
    You can open just the drivers door, or all doors, or rear glass. Even though the Ford Escape accessories web page doesn't specifically say it's for a hybrid, it works perfect. Should you wish to purchase for a 2008 be sure you order part number 7L2Z-14A626-BA as previous models are different and will not fit correctly.
    Price is about $85.00. The one area that is questionable is the fact that the manual says when the battery in the unit goes dead, it can't be replaced. The unit itself must be replaced.-------I don't know if replacing the unit means you must buy a whole new package or what. But then, it may be covered under the vehicles warranty, since genuine Ford parts usually are.
  • mperskimperski Member Posts: 13
    My heated seats seem to be on a timer. They got hot when I first tern them on then cool off, then get hot again, and so on. Is that how everyone elses work or are they kicking a circuit breaker.
  • celtviperceltviper Member Posts: 12
    We have an 06 Escape Hybrid with the in-dash 6-disc CD changer. I am wondering if it is possible to have the dealer replace the existing stereo with the stereo/nav system that was optional for 06. I am also wondering if it is possible to replace the stock stereo with the Pioneer nav system that is available after -market. I have read prior posts talking about not being able to mess with the stereo or nav system on the hybrids.

Thanks for the info.

Dan
  • carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    I put in a Pioneer Z-1 GPS w/ a hard drive that can store more than 500 CDs. It has worked for a year and a half absolutely perfectly in every respect. Fits right in, but do have it done by "professionals."
  • jasoncarpjasoncarp Member Posts: 8
    Mine do the same.
    I have the 08 FEH 4WD and don't know when or if it's working. I assume that it is full time All Wheel Drive? The HEV screen on my dash shows power going to the front axle but never to the back. We had or first snow fall the other day and went to "test" it and almost hit a curb trying to turn in the snow. My Durango was full time AWD and that would turn on a dime in the snow with out having to put in 4WD hi. Does the rear axle get power when needed? and does it show up on the nav screen?
    FIRST there is NO STABILITY CONTROL. I suspect that your Durango had stability or "skid control" which is why it turned so well in the snow. What you experienced in the Durango is exactly what stability control is suppose to produce.

SECOND the stock tires are LOW FRICTION tires that may have an all season tread but are likly really really crappy in the snow.

THIRD AWD has absolutely NOTHING to do with turning. AWD does not do anything that could help you turn. IN FACT it may make it harder for you to turn. Using all 4 wheels to get you going will get you going faster than the the available traction for turning justifies. Think of it this way. All 4 wheels are trying to move you forward but only the front wheels are trying to turn you. The wheels spin and you go sideways.

You need to understand how the intelligent 4 wheel drive works in the FEH vs the gas only Escape.

Intelligent 4WD is a proactive system and will send power to the rear wheels hopefully before the front wheels are actually "spinning" loose. HOWEVER, what is that power doing at the back wheels? On snow, with the crappy stock tires, you could easily get all four wheels spinning, and that is liable to get you going sideways into a curb.

In the 08 Gas only Escape, the AdvanceTrac system acts as a four wheel traction control. If you are in snow and 4WD decides to send power to the rear axle, the Advancetrac will make sure that the power is controled at each individual wheel so that you don't just get all four wheels spinning. AdvanceTrac also has yaw control to make sure you don't go plowing out of a corner and the Gas only Escape has better stock tires.

I was recently at a Nissan sales training event for the Rogue and they demonstrated to us the difference that stability control makes on an AWD vehicle. On a slipper surface, the Rogue with stability control turned off spun all four wheels and although the car got going it was in a much less controlled manner and the engine was revving away to spin the wheels. With stability control back on, the car got going in a much more controlled fashion with out any of the individual wheels spinning.

One last thought. the light on the dash in the center gauge cluster will light in 4wd mode but this does not show on the screen in the nav system.

Mark.
  • sksuhsksuh Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone installed and/or have a recommendation for winter (snow) tires for a 2008 FEH?

Both tirerack.ca and costco,ca seem to indicate that the Michelin Latitude X-Ice 235/70R16 are ideal for my FEH. Lots of snow up here in Alberta's Rocky Mountains.

Stephen
    Mark,
    Thanks for the input, I haven't seen the 4wd light come on yet on the dash cluster, makes me wonder if I should have gone for the 2wd model instead. I'll have to do some research and see what makes a good tire for all terrain and maintains good mileage for the hybrid.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    It is possible that Hybrid Escapes do not have the same 4WD light on the dash cluster. (?)
    Every now and then my rpm's are higher than normal. For example usually I can keep the rpm's around 1600 to maintain 45mph on a flat road. But sometimes I can't get the rpm's to drop down to maintain that speed they go up to 2500 or higher. It feels the the CVT won't stay "locked up" into the higher ratio. I'm wonder if its a problem with CVT or if the engine is just reving higher to keep the engine warmed up. Its cold here now in Michigan, 20 degrees.
    The Hybrid does have a mind of its own when it comes to certain things. There are three reasons why the engine might rev higher.

1. The engine is trying to heat the cat converter up to its most effecient temp.

2. The engine is trying to heat the high voltage battery up to its most effecient temp.

3. The battery is under going regeneration. There really isn't a set time or distance for regeneration. Depending on driving history, it could happen more or less frequently.

Mark
    Well I know its not reving higher to regenerate the battery because it happened after driving in low after many slow downs and braking.

I dont know how the engine could heat up the high voltage battery since there are no coolant lines going to it, only AC lines.

And I'm not sure about the Cat answere either since its happened after driving on the express way as well.
    I am in Michigan too and noticed the running more often and at higher RPM's. Along with the average MPG dropping considerably. From what i've heard it is due to the colder weather.

Jason
  • dguilddguild Member Posts: 3
    I am having similar RPM problems with my 08. This just started happening when the weather turned cold. Have you had any problems with regenerative braking? My regen braking does not work for the first 10 miles or so. This too started when the weather turned cold. I live in New Hampshire. It seems that the HV battery is mostly being charged by the engine. This is killing my gas mileage. The regen braking used to work immediately whenever I touched the brakes.
    My regenerative brake do that too. I found that if you drive in L the regenerative braking will then function. I usually drive in Low in the city and Drive on the highway.
    When your 110V Power Pack battery gets cold soaked, it must get recharged as does your regular battery you use to start the car. The engine is the fastest way to recharge both battaries. Matter of fact, the brakes provide little regeneration to the batt. Your milage will decline about 2%. So don't sweat the small stuff. Your SUV, which is more like a large sedan, gets better milage than other large cars.
    Bottom line is...over the course of the winter, your gas will cost you about $15 more if you drive about 5000 miles. :D
  • backyakerbackyaker Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to purchase an 05 FEH w/ 75k miles, and look forward to keeping it for awhile. But on these hybrids, what is the life-expectancy of the gas and hybrid components?

I have a 96 Accord with 220k miles and an 02 diesel Excursion with 210k miles and they are both still SOLID vehicles. They are maintained well as would the FEH be, but being new to hybrid vehicles, I'm just concerned...

If I'm not mistaken, Honda warranties their battery system for 10 yrs. What is Fords warranty? and does anyone have any input on aftermarket hybrid warranties?

thanks
    reply to carysbluesky

Your regular battery is not used to start your car the 330V Hybrid battery is. Regenerative braking recharges the batteries without using any excess fuel, like the ICE does. I also believe you are mistaken, the regenerative braking does quite a bit of recharging of the batteries according to my guages.
    You'd have to drive like a typical Floridian in their 80's and medicated to drive the FEH and get the milage as advertised. :blush:
    It fits perfectly. I had a Z1 installed upon taking delivery of my 06 FEH. Works great. Had it installed by a vender through the dealer; this way it's under warranty via Ford.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Careful, the FEH will not start if the traditional 12v car battery is dead. It is needed to trip some relays that allow the 330v HVBattery to start the ICE with MG1. [But with the 12v battery constantly being recharged by the HVBattery, this should be very rare] :surprise:
    See 1478
    See 1478
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It is needed to trip some relays that allow the 330v HVBattery to start the ICE with MG1. "

In the Toyota system, the 12 volt battery powers up the computers so that the car can start. I'm not sure about the Ford system.
  • keegs54keegs54 Member Posts: 2
    i just talked to internet salesman about buying feh, he said come in order and wait 6 months. is that the story now?
    6 months is a guess.

Mark.
  • jdixsonjdixson Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone recommend a source for decent carpeted floor mats? The originals on my new 2008 Mariner are the only weak point in the vehicle!

Thanks,
    John Dixson
  • cozdivercozdiver Member Posts: 2
    These are not carpeted but work great if you are interested. They have raised sides on them so nothing runs off them. Custom fit and built to last, well worth the price. I don't see the Mariner listed but I am sure the Escape are an exact match.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=219&Year=20- 08
  • smiley317smiley317 Member Posts: 4
    I thought I had read that you can use E85 in this vehicle. I know it lowers fuel efficency, but I am still very interested in it for all the other benefits(lower dependency on foreign oil and other benefits). My owners manual for the 2008 FEH says it is not recommended to use E85. Does anyone know is this not recommended because of the lower fuel economy or is it not recommended because it will ruin the engine?

I really want to use the E85, but do not want to break my vehicle.

Thanks
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    E85 and aluminum do not get along well. If the engine has aluminum heads beware!

"From the corrosion standpoint, aluminum can have some issues when you get into 85 percent ethanol," said Mike Bartush, product manager, environmental systems for Cincinnati-headquartered OPW. "We offer an anodize product that coats these materials so that there's not a problem with these alternative fuels. We also changed some of our gaskets about five years ago to be more compatible with the new fuels. When you're talking about five or 10 percent ethanol it's not an issue with our aluminum tubes and aluminum adapters. And it's not an issue with our cast-iron shear valves and steel piping and brass. We take all the different fuels and we soak our products in them and test them."

Bartush noted that the company was making an effort to change various castings to stainless steel in order to alleviate any potential problems with more aggressive fuels, relying on an economy of scale to help keep costs down.
    The Weather Tech products are terrific, but in this case I am looking for carpeted mats.

Thanks,
    John Dixson
    Posted in other Escape Hybrid forum. Do not use E85 it will rot out or fuel lines at least.

Mark
  • anne_d_hanne_d_h Member Posts: 3
    Dave,

Whatever happened about your whistling Escape hybrid? I have the exact same problem and got exactly the same thing from Ford zone: the car is working as intended; there's nothing we need to fix.

Thanks
    Anne
  • anne_d_hanne_d_h Member Posts: 3
    I have this problem, I made a post about it. I got told the same thing. What have you done?
  • cozdivercozdiver Member Posts: 2
    In the Escape Hybrid Quick reference guide that you should have received with the owners manual it says on the 2nd page under engine "You may also hear a slight whine or whistle when operating your vehicle." " This is the normal operation of the electric generator in the hybrid system."
    Are you sure it is not this noise?
  • baysailorbaysailor Member Posts: 15
    This is actually what I wanted to know, since even though the HV battery is warrantied for >100 kmiles, I haven't had a 12 V battery last more than 4 years, ever. I would expect it to fail first. Hopefully, the built-in test will sense this and give you a proper alert when it fails to hold a charge.

JRG
    When you step hard on the gas pedal, you will always get assistance from the elec. motor; and, its got plenty of power for a 4 cylinder/elec. motor.
    TO compare the the 12V car battery to the HV NiMH Hybrid System Battery is like comparing the Wright Flyer to an F16.

The HV battery is never deep discharged either.

Mark.
  • supercub43supercub43 Member Posts: 6
    I have about 18,000 miles on my 07 Escape 2wd Hybrid that I purchased last April. During the summer thru early fall I was getting 36mpg......but since then the mileage has dropped off to 33mpg. I'm driving the same, driving the same routes to work etc.......the only thing that has changed is the weather......it's cooler now.......I live in central Ca.....has anyone else noticed a change possibly due to temperature change? Or is something else happening. Yes, I've check tire pressure. Thanks
    Brian
    This is normal for colder temps. The colder the air the more dense the air. The fuel control computer mixes air with gas at the same ratio. So, if it works properly, the increase in gas consumption should be considered normal. Ask any pilot who flies a normally asperated engine.
    Pilots will also comment that the aerodynamic drag on a vehicle is, among other factors a function of the square of the vehicle velocity and the density of the air. Colder air equals higher density air and hence higher drag for any given speed.
    You must be a CFI; and, you put it well. Keep the Blue side up...unless you're part of an airshow. :)
    CFI-yes, and an engineering test pilot at a major helicopter company for 39 years. We used to say: " keep the greasy side down" !!
    Started in the OH-23 myself (Ft. Wolters 69-41) Retired in 99 and familiar with greasing the skids, especially when flying a loaded UH-1C. Just retired from the FAA myself w/30 years.
    In any case, I believe our FEH driver now knows all about why his fuel consumption goes up in cold Wx. Not even mentioning the additional drag if he doesn't remove the snow prior to departure. Take care. :D
  • supercub43supercub43 Member Posts: 6
    That's what I figured, but I didn't think it would make that much difference, what with all the computers/electronic on the newer cars, which I haven't seen to many on cont or lycs with........just plain ole Mags and carbs or maybe fuel injected. Oh ya, I've only been a CFII, MEI, BGI, AGI, ATP, SEL, MEL, SES......and 135 Chief Pilot for about 33 years. I do appreciate the input. Will be interesting when the warmer weather comes around to see if the mpg returns to the 36 range. Thanks again

PS........check my name out and that well give you a hint of the airplane I own too. :)
  • wisillwisill Member Posts: 9
    The 05 thru 07 AWD Hybrid models do not have a light on the dash that indicates power going to the rear wheels.
  • wisillwisill Member Posts: 9
    Mark, the hybrid engine does not "rev" up to heat the cat converter. The cat converter quickly heats up to normal temperature within 30 seconds. I have a Scangauge II unit that demonstrates this.

The hybrid engine does not "rev" up to heat the hybrid battery. There is a heating element inside the hybrid battery pack.

The hybrid engine does not "rev" up while the vehicle is undergoing braking regeneration unless it's state of charge (SoC) is full and this is a topic by itself.

The "rev-up" of the engine is due to the electronic continous variable transmission (eCVT). Hybrid owners learn to "fake shift" (temporary lessen pressure on the gas pedal) to lower the RPMs and to improve fuel efficiency.