Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• wisillwisill Member Posts: 9
    The 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid is sold out. You can start ordering the 2009 models with the new engine and other enhancements sometime in April 2008. :)
    Baloney. You need to read some more information on how hybrid owners can hypermile and stay with the flow of traffic. :surprise:
    I am aware of an individual who towed a 14 foot Shasta trailer from Kansas City to Washington D.C. with his Escape Hybrid. This is several hundred pounds more than the 1000lb limit. This drive included the numerous long hills in West Virginia. There is a thought this 1000lb limit exists because there is no reverse in the transmission. Yes, the power to move rearward does not orginiate from the internal combustion engine but the generator and hybrid battery pack. There is a cold weather testing research area West of Denver and Escape Hybrids have been seen going up the Rockie Mountains with trailers and several individuals inside of them.
  • calcavercalcaver Member Posts: 1
    Ford's hybrid battery warranty is 8 years. However, for those of us in California and a few other states it is 10 years!
  • mperskimperski Member Posts: 13
    Well when its cold out I can be comming off the express way and drop into low range at 45mph with my foot off the ecellerator and the tach jumps up to 3000 rpm. I call that reving up! And if you want to get technical there is no hybrid engine, its a hybrid motor and a gas engine.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Ford's hybrid battery warranty is 8 years. However, for those of us in California and a few other states it is 10 years!"

I think the original question was "miles", and the answer is 100K for non CARB, 150K for CARB states. The warranty is either the years OR the mileage.

So that hybrid with 75K is 1/2 way through the mileage warranty.
    There is no low range on the Escape Hybrid.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    That is right. There is no Low Range on the transmission. In theory the eCVT is infinitely variable and shifting to "L" does nothing more than change to a different computer algorithm (one which adds a greater amount of regenerative braking). To prove this the Ford engineers would shift into R while traveling at 55 mph to show that nothing happens because the PCM computer is in control and sees that shift to R as an unrealistic command.

If the battery is "fully" charged, and you are traveling at 45 mph, and you shift into L, the engine may rev to dissapate power from the generator motor when it is not allowed to charge the battery any higher.
  • jimt2jimt2 Member Posts: 7
    I just got my 2008 FEH last week. Love it so far. One annoyance though- The NAV system default screen says "some functions not available while driving, AGREE or DECLINE" this disclaimer is the default screen when starting the car. Does anyone know if there is a way to PERMANENTLY AGREE so I don't have to hit that button every time. ??
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Only Germany doesn't allow the engineers to have a law degree - everybody else has the lawyer screen on their Navigation...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter hopes to speak with anyone who purchased or considered a hybrid vehicle in 2007. If this describes you and you care to share your story with a reporter, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience no later than Friday, April 18, 2008.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jayman53jayman53 Member Posts: 1
    Rented an 2008 FEH... very nice on the local city driving, but on the hwy, wow..loud drone all the way to Vegas...the radio was really competing...other that this lack of quiet and the leather seats a bit firm for a long drive, the suv is great..would buy one , but not sure about that hwy din...is it the Continental Tires? or is that just the FEH?..can there be any noise baffling after market?..
    I don't expect Lexus quiet, but my 92 exlporer is decent and you don't have to crank the radio.

-Your input is appreciated
    "Rented an 2008 FEH... very nice on the local city driving, but on the hwy, wow..loud drone all the way to Vegas...the radio was really competing...other that this lack of quiet and the leather seats a bit firm for a long drive, the suv is great..would buy one , but not sure about that hwy din...is it the Continental Tires? "

I just took a 50 mile (one way) trip in my new 2008. It is an AWD. It is NOT loud on the road, but then I never got over 70 MPH. In fact I noticed how very quiet it runs.
    The Edmunds editor review of the FEH indicates that the AWD uses electric motors:

"On AWD Escape Hybrid models, a third electric motor steps in to drive the rear wheels when extra acceleration or traction is needed. It's not a true all-wheel-drive system, though, and buyers needing a serious snow vehicle will be better served by the regular gasoline-powered Escape."

I think that the FEH uses a mechanical (electronically controlled) AWD system. The owner's manual has no warnings about the AWD system over heating, such as I would expect of an electric motor, and the underside of my FEH appears to be a normal AWD transfer case.

The following is from the owner's manual, page 151:

"Power is supplied to all four wheels through a transfer case or power transfer unit. You should become thoroughly familiar with this information before you operate your vehicle."

This would make the FEH a superior AWD system over the all-electric Toyota HH (in my opinion), because it isn't subject to overheating and shutting down.
    Your quote from Edmunds about a "third electric motor" is completely false for the FEH 05/06/07/08 MYs. [The Toyota HiHy uses the third motor to provide AWD along with VSC.] The FEH AWD is superior in some aspects but it has (in part) prevented development of Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) for the FEH. The 2009 FEH is rumored to have VSC and AWD.
    "Your quote from Edmunds about a "third electric motor" is completely false for the FEH 05/06/07/08 MYs. "

Excuse me, but my QUOTE was accurate. The whole point of my post was that the Edmunds REVIEW was inaccurate.

If I understand you correctly you you are confirming my post.
    The information in your quote was completely inaccurate. That better?
    [sheesh, sometimes responses in these forums get so emotional] :D
    "The information in your quote was completely inaccurate. That better?
    [sheesh, sometimes responses in these forums get so emotional]"

Ah, right. Just to reiterate - here are the points.

1. The FEH has a mechanical AWD system.
    2. The Edmunds review of the FWH INCORRECTLY describes it as having a "3rd electric motor" to run the AWD system. :D

I was actually hoping that the host would pick up on this and get the editorial staff to update the review.

This is an important advantage to people in the snow belt: the Toyota HH AWD electric motors will shut down if they overheat (such as spinning a lot). The FEH mechanical system is not subject to these limitations.

But in any case, do you have a URL that explains the system? I am assuming it is the same electronically controlled system as the ICE only Escape, but the Ford vehicles website doesn't have any details.
    This morning it was about 45 - 50 degrees outside. The night before I had set my temp control to 60, for fresh air, and manual fan setting. This morning I set the driver temp to 70 and hit the AUTO switch on the driver's side. In my Freestyle, hitting AUTO automatically turned on the A/C compressor. Instead, the A/C light stayed out. I was in ECON mode. As always, the first 1/2 mile of my morning commute was via electric only (even though the engine was running).

FWIW, I hit the AUTO button because Ford vehicles are set to turn off the fans until the engine is heated up. Since the FEH has no engine temp guage, hitting AUTO gives a rough idea of how the engine is doing on the warm up, although the fans will run for a while before the engine is hot enough to use EV.

I already know that turning off ECON will run the compressor, and turning on the defrost or defrost / floor will also activate it.

Does anyone know how the FEH is programmed to turn on the compressor?
    The Ford system will deactivate the Compressor for economy reasons below 55 degrees, but turn it on again at around 40 degrees to dehumidify where possible. Over 55 degrees, AUTO will bring the compressor online. In this case, what you are experiencing is all due to outside ambient temperatures.
  • dcwestbydcwestby Member Posts: 29
    I recently tried an 08 FEH, I never did like the thrumming at 50+mph tho. I am sensitive to some frequencies especially sound near bass levels, and for some reason this thrummin affected my mind and gave me a literal consistent headache.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

The dealer had a 72hr exchange policy but only for something equal or greater in value from whats being returned. got a ford edge now.. will continue to look into hybrids however.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with hybrid owners who have had to replace the hybrid's battery. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • jim2345jim2345 Member Posts: 45
    I'm considering a FEH to replace my Jeep Cherokee that I use for skiing in New England. In the mountains overnight low temps often hit -15 to -25 F and driving in snow is almost a daily occurrence. I'd like to hear from people who own Escape Hybrids and operate them in similar conditions. Any problems with extreme cold? How well does the AWD system work on snowy roads? I'm used to a true 4X4 and it always starts in the cold and in snow it's unstoppable, so am I making a mistake to buy an Escape Hybrid for this purpose?
  • sksuhsksuh Member Posts: 13
    My 2008 FEH (4WD/AWD) has performed admirably -- as expected -- during the past cold and snowy mountainous winter climate of Alberta's Rocky Mountains up here in the Bow Valley (Banff/Canmore).

Occasional cold starts when the temperature has plummeted to -40F (-40C) were not a problem. One's fuel economy does take a bit of a a hit during the winter months but that is to be expected with any vehicle.

Having leased several Ford Explorers since 1995 plus formerly driven a 2005 Escape XLT, I often say that this 2008 FEH is my ultimate dream vehicle -- which is good since I'll be driving it for several more years.

Stephen @ Canmore, Alberta
    Thanks for your reply, Stephen. I've been to Kananaskis country and it's beautiful. So cold starts are no problem! That was a big concern I had. What about inside the cabin - plenty of heat for creature comfort and for melting the snow and ice from the windshield? I think your snow tends to be much drier (less ice) than we have in New England.
  • pensivepensive Member Posts: 9
    jim;

in your scenario, IF you get this model in the both axle drive,
    i would certainly say that replacing the factory tires with a really
    good snow and ice rated set is the most important thing you could
    do to make your FEH a better winter snow beast.

my experience with the Continentals on my vehicle (a 2008)
    has been that roads with broken surfaces, ridges,
    or anything which might be less than ideal conditions
    is unsettling to my factory tires.

it goes ok, but the change to something like Blizzaks will
    really make it keep it's teeth on the trail.
    i think you guys are lucky yours are only whistling.

mine makes at least 3 distinct sounds one of which is
    whistling and they are most noticeable when
    i am at or below the gas engine starting event.

the other noises both sound like a state cop with
    his siren on chasing me! my wife thinks the same.
    probably if you ordered in late Dec or early Jan what you
    heard was accurate. (delays due to battery supplier being
    the main problem i have heard)

i placed the order in the last week of Dec., 2007.
    just got the vehicle last week. June 2008.
    i thought with such a late order cycle, mine
    might be a 2009 but all the papers show
    it is a 2008.
    did you have a good new set of -4- ice and snow rated
    tires on your vehicle? i started this on all my
    trucks and cars a few years ago and can't believe
    the difference it makes in snow or ice or even
    heavy rain for that matter.

traction is the key.

i know my FEH needs these and will have them
    on before i see flurries in the Northeast USA.
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you leave the snow tires on all year or change them back seasonally?

I never thought about the tires because I don't plan to use the FEH off road. I just want to be able to stay on the roads in conditions that are less than ideal - especially the steep and curvey mountain access roads in winter. Afternoon flurries are common here and can make these roads pretty treacherous when descending at the end of the day. The highways are generally OK except when the snow is falling but then visibility tends to be the limiting factor for my Jeep rather than how slippery the road surface is.

My Jeep came with all-season radials (Wranglers) and I never had a problem until they were almost worn out. I had to replace them last Fall after 50K miles and bought some Michelins that turned out to be mud and snow tires (I didn't realize- I just liked the tread). I felt a difference right away but I'm comparing new M&S tires to used-up all-season radials. It's a good thing I do most of my driving in the winter because I don't think these tires are a good choice the rest of the year.

Where you live, do you have extreme low temps overnight in winter? I'd also be interested in your experience with the FEH batteries and electric motor in these conditions. And the gasoline motor is tiny - right? Does it really heat the cabin OK in extreme temps? I find when I'm driving my Jeep in falling snow, I need to blast my heater onto the windshield to prevent my wipers from icing up. Sometimes this is not enough - that's when I know it's time to get off the road and wait it out.

Any experience you or others reading this have had with FEH's in extreme conditions would be greatly appreciated.
  • scottchscottch Member Posts: 9
    I'm sure it's not the most extreme conditions (night time temps in the teens), but I've driven in several Sierra snowstorms without any problems. The car starts right up in the morning and the heater and defroster work fine. The 4WD works nicely, too.
  • kcowankcowan Member Posts: 1
    We are considering buying a 2006 Escape Hybrid and would like to know if anyone has had problems with the vehicle.
  • celtviperceltviper Member Posts: 12
    We bought an '06 4WD new and have had no problems at all. We're very happy with it except for two things. 1. We live in the mountains and most of our driving is either up or down. We average 28-29 mpg and that's about it. The EPA mileage estimates are grossly overrated anyway. 2. We have two Irish Wolfhounds that ride in the back with the back seats down. Our other complaint is that there's no storage area at all with the two dogs in the back (although most people have enough sense to have regular size dogs, so I guess the lack of space is our fault). We had the factory recall done on the relay under the battery pack. It has required no service at all except regular oil changes and tire rotations. We'd buy another in a second. My advice is to buy one.
  • tpaultpaul Member Posts: 3
    Just brought an 06 Escape Hybrid. The only time the car switches to EV mode is during the the first half hour or so of driving. The rest of the day ICE continues to run even when stopped or when driving under 20 mph. Even when it is working during the first half hour of the first drive of the day, it does not do so as expected, under 25mph, instead it kicks into EV mode at 15 -20 mph. Also, the needle on the gauge at the left which indicates assist and charge never moves. We make sue that the AC is off so that is not the problem. Millage on the car is 56,000. Any ideas? Has anyone else had a similar problem and a possible resolution?
  • carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    Have your 300+ Volt Battery checked; sounds like its not holding the proper charge.
  • bmdoublebmdouble Member Posts: 4
    being a Ford Hybrid certified technician I can personally give it a thumbs up.I can't say enough good things about it.I call them my babies,because I am the only tech in my dealer of over 40 techs to be certified,everyone heard 300 volts and were scared.Maintenance is excellent,I have yet to perform a brake job on one,and I get some with over 60,000 miles on them,just oil changes every 7500,tire rotations,front and rear air filters.Not to mention a tax incentive,and in our city free parking next to meters.Don't expect mileage of a prius,but who wants to drive a dust buster?! I am working on getting rid of my expedition to get one myself.So do not fear,I have serviced these vehicles(notice I said serviced and not repaired) since they first came out in 05' and I love them.
  • carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    Why do you say change the oil every 7500 when its every 10K?...according to the book
  • bmdoublebmdouble Member Posts: 4
    You can follow the books schedule,this is just my recommendation to my customers in our area(San Antonio) with dry,hot dusty conditions and with our road systems being mostly highway travel,your engine will run much more frequently.And honestly being the guy that actually sees the condition of the oil when it drains out,I wouldn't recommend anyone waiting 10k to change their oil,but that's just my opinion.
  • jimt2jimt2 Member Posts: 7
    On my 2008 FEH- twice now I filled it with gas and the guage only shows 3/4 tank. but its filled. other times it works fine. Anyone have weird gas guage behavior?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Are you turning your key to "OFF" before you pump the gas?

Over time the gauge should correct itself.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    my wife has an '04 escape limited. she is thinking of replacing it with an '09 hybrid limited.
    my basic analysis, which excludes finance charges, insurance and annual property taxes is pretty much a wash @ $4.00 per gallon over 5 years.
    anyone else have an opinion?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "my wife has an '04 escape limited. she is thinking of replacing it with an '09 hybrid limited.
    my basic analysis, which excludes finance charges, insurance and annual property taxes is pretty much a wash $4.00 per gallon over 5 years.
    anyone else have an opinion? "

If your 04 Escape is running well, you will never make up the difference in payments (zero $$ with the 2004, XXX $$ with the new FEH) based on the MPG gains. So if you like the 2004, my suggestion is to keep it.

If you are definitely getting rid of the 04, then the FEH is a good option, though it is a bit more expensive than a 2009 ICE Escape. A limited will cost you 33K. If you don't need an SUV, consider the Toyota Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid; both are considerably cheaper than the FEH - and get much better MPG.

One thing to consider is the driving you will do. If it is all short trips, then a Hybrid is not generally the best option - it has to warm up the engine before the hybrid technology kicks in completely. It also gets less MPG in winter. A last item is the fact that the FEH A/C shuts off if the car is stopped (in ECON mode) - so you are forced to live without A/C while stopped, or lose the MPG gained by the engine shutting down. The Prius has an electric A/C compressor and does not have this limitation.
    Ditto, exactly!
  • burnsvaburnsva Member Posts: 35
    From my dealer today:

"As of June 30, 2008, Ford Motor Company has 55,990 Hybrid Vehicles (in the tax credit window)(Escape and Mariner Hybrids). Based on Sales patterns, it appears the 60,000 unit threshold will be reached within the 3rd Quarter of 2008. If this is the case, purchasers of an Escape Hybrid would be eiligible for the full tax credit until December 31, 2008."
    " "As of June 30, 2008, Ford Motor Company has 55,990 Hybrid Vehicles (in the tax credit window)(Escape and Mariner Hybrids). Based on Sales patterns, it appears the 60,000 unit threshold will be reached within the 3rd Quarter of 2008. If this is the case, purchasers of an Escape Hybrid would be eiligible for the full tax credit until December 31, 2008." "

As near as I can tell, the credits run out six months AFTER the quarter in which 60K is achieved, which would be Mar 30, 2009, if I understand you to say that Ford had not sold 60K before July 1.
  • burnsvaburnsva Member Posts: 35
    The tax credit runs out the first full quarter after the 60,000 is achieved.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I noticed you're from San Antonio, have the 09's arrived at your dealership?
  • pobre08pobre08 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in San Antonio, too. I haven't seen any. We did order an '09 MMH last week though...
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Were you able to utilize the X plan pricing when you ordered? I see Red McCombs is showing some of the non hybrid ones in stock.
  • pobre08pobre08 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, we did order under X-Plan, from North Park LM. No issues. However, I need to follow up to see if they have received the DORA, tec. They told us October delivery. We also shopped Northside Ford, and they also welcomed X-Plan.

We debated the FEH vs MMH, but, the MMH worked out to be cheaper based on what we wanted. Bummer, is that they don't offer the side steps on MMH.

Also, just checked NPLM website...they are showing in stock 3 '08 MMH's.