Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > the bigger the car, the less efficiency the Hybrid gets you

Where is your data to support that claim?

The 2004 Prius is a midsize car. It will deliver around 55 MPG (based on EPA ratings). That's nearly double what the other midsize cars offer. So even if the efficiency was "less", that really wouldn't mean much. A 90% improvement would still be very impressive.

JOHN
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Meaning, as the weight of the vehicle increases, the benefits of Hybrid is lost. A year or 2 ago Ford abandoned en Explorer Hybrid, mainly because the fuel savings was so minimal, that it was NOT worth the initial investment. Plus, if you lose the practically of a truck/suv (versatility and toqing) then there's really no purpose to continue the senario.

Regarding Ford, the next hybrid will be the Futura Hybrid sedan, but never expect it to be placed upon a vehicle larger in weight, then the Escape/Futura. Hybrid systems lose their efficiency as the weight of the vehicle is increased.

That leaves us with another alternative, Diesel... which you have the 5.0L Powerestroke Diesel available on certain F-series trucks, and Econoline van. Diesel's benefit them with massive low RPM torque, that's workable for their needs and applications.

Personally, and this is just from what I see myself. These vehicles that are hybrid such as the Prius and Civic HEV come out costing more in the long term. As in, you need to keep the vehicle for about 10 years, to receive the initial return in investment gained by the fuel saved. In fact, take the $3-5K extra that these system command over their base offering, place them in a 10 year moneymarket account, or CD, and you'll do better off in the long term than to spend it initially. But that's just my experience and from what I've read and witnessed.

The next wave/component, of efficiency will be transmissions, and Ford is working with ToroTrak. Torotrak is an Indefintly Variable Tranmission (sort of like CVT), the benefit with Torotrak is it's able to be fitted in high torque vehicles(such as trucks and SUV's). You can try a search online for the site of Torotrak, and they have one Expedition being tested with it, engine loafs at 1000 RPM cruising at 60MPH. While improving it's acceleration times as well. Imagine the gas savings there...
    > A year or 2 ago Ford abandoned en Explorer Hybrid,
    > mainly because the fuel savings was so minimal

Apparently, you aren't aware that they are several different types of hybrids...

"ASSIST" hybrids have that limitation.

"FULL" hybrids offer a much greater return.

...and there are even more configurations available within the "FULL" type.

Size wasn't the issue. It was the ability to tow an obsence amount of weight, which is something the smaller vehicles don't support. Towing a more normal amount is possible though. Both the Escape-Hybrid and RX400-Hybrid will have the ability to tow a 1,000 pound trailer.

JOHN
    > The next wave/component, of efficiency will be transmissions,
    > and Ford is working with ToroTrak... Imagine the gas
    > savings there...

Inventions like that commonly have a fundamental problem. It's usually high cost, low reliability, or the exhaust is horribly dirty (NOx & HC).

And of course, there isn't much of a benefit in heavy commute traffic or city driving. That's where you need HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive, the first vehicle to use it is the 2004 Prius), since it allows you to drive using just electricity. The engine shuts off completely. And on the highway at fast speeds, fuel is cut whenever even just the slightest road decline is encountered.

JOHN
    What good would an Explorer with 1000lbs. towing capacity be, When in regular form it can haul 7 times that? It was an Hybrid and was only able to gain 1-2MPG over it's regular stablemate. Amd I know this as a fact that they abandoned that project because of this issue.

So why would the Escape be able to attain 40MPG, and not this Explorer with the same system?.... weight.... The Escape weighs 3100-3400lbs, compared to Explorer's 4400-4800lbs, the usefulness of the hybrid system was not effective considering the Explorer's major weight difference.

Not saying in the future they wouldn't revisit the idea, but from internal documents, they are NOT placing a hybrid system in the Explorer ever, and will be left for lighter vehicles. They believe that if someone buys an SUV, then fuel savings isn't much of a conern.
    > What good would an Explorer with 1000lbs. towing capacity be

Well, since most people claim they bought the Explorer for the "safety" benefit and the 4WD, there won't be any loss.

And obviously, they would put a propotionally larger motor in the larger vehicle, so it would be able to tow more.

> a hybrid system

Do you even know what TYPE of hybrid system?

The 2004 Prius (a "FULL" hybrid) delivers 295 ft-lbs of torque. That's actually more than some small trucks offer. A large motor like that is quite capable.

An "ASSIST" hybrid has a significantly smaller motor providing much less power.

JOHN
    It was an assist hybrid, what made the program/development even more expensive was having to change too many components within the structure(including engine mounts) to fit the engine. Whereas, the Escape and Futura feature almost similar engine bays, therefore engine mounts and assembly would be easy since they just need to drop in the 2.3L already a base engine for the future Futura (and next Escape).

Aside from that, the engine they had chosen would not be workable in other vehicles across the line up (let alone sedans) so in total, their only application might have been Ranger and Explorer. Nor did they see the validity of people spending $4-5K more for such a system in their Explorer. At least with the Escape Hybrid, the price of the option will be a bit more realistic, and as the techonology is mass produced, and placed in the future Futura, then the price should come down a bit.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    ASSIST is not in the Escape Hybrid. According to Ford, the Hybrid uses a FULL hybrid system. Have you seen any Explorers towing boats? That is what the Expedition/Excursion are for!!!!! Toyota plans a Hybrid Sienna, Honda a hybrid Odyssey. See the trend towards larger Hybrids? GM's reason for fuel cells is because they don't want to put Hybrids on the road now. unlike the Japanese. Witness Toyota. Gen 2 Prius is comin out while Gen 1 from GM is still to be seen.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    John, I love your website! It's like an homage au Prius.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Actually I see more Explorer's towing boats, than I see Expy/Tahoe's. Price wise, the Explorer is a bit more reachable to some, over the Expy, and considering the Explorer has the highest towing capacity in it's segment, then many do not need to ante up for the Expy.

I just noticed that error, I didn't mean to state Assist, Opps. But as I stated, the engine they were choosing for their hybrid, couldn't be use in other Ford applications, whereas the Hybrid Escape's system, can be implemented into the Futura, and numerous other FWD/AWD vehicles that will share the JV Platform.

The Explorer would have requires applications where RWD/4x4 configuration be allowed (meaning mostly trucks and SUV's in their line), but after their research and study, they found other methods might be more effective.

On a side note, they even canceled a light truck diesel 4.5L V6 engine engine, cousin of the 6.0L Powerstroke (nicknamed BabyStroke). That had to do with emmissions regulations that were to be phased in 2006.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Facinating to watch you engineers dual....
    I'm still a skeptic though. Don't see the Hybrid as a solution long term. I see more potential in the fuel cell. But short term, I think ANT's comments on transmission and engine refinement make a lot of sense. Especially in large applications.
    GM will have you waiting until 2031 for fuel cell cars. Just stick to the Honda FCX for fuel cells for now.....
    Well yeah but GM has always been the follower when it comes to new techonology. Let's look at their huge line of OHV engines, while everyone has or been turning to OHC. But they sware by them religiously.

GM has no real plans for fuel cells, that missed the boat on that, as well as a few other issues. Last week I was discussing that with someone, pertaining to a segment/market/trend that GM stated they would NOT follow. I just can't think exactly what it was.
    Oh, could have been just about anything new, exciting or trendy, ANT. Harley Earl must be turning over in his grave.....
    And they have him introducing Buick SUV's now on TV. Have you seen it?
    > GM will have you waiting until 2031 for fuel cell cars.
    > Just stick to the Honda FCX for fuel cells for now...

Until an automaker actually delivers a realistically affordable solution, don't give them too much credit.

The fuel-cell prototypes are just plain too expensive right now (anywhere from $500,000 to $1,000,000 each). And they are neither efficient nor reliable.

The clean vehicles are a bit of shame too, since all but two of them can only be purchased in California. (The two exceptions are Prius and Insight-CVT. Just look up vehicles that have a rating of SULEV or PZEV for details.) So even though they are a realistic option, you can't actually buy one from your local dealer.

JOHN
    Ah, in comes the 2004 Ford Focus 2.3L PZEV, FIRST PZEV — partial zero-emission vehicle — to be sold nationwide.

Follow the link to read more... http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2003-09-18-pze- v-focus_x.htm
    > Ah, in comes the 2004 Ford Focus 2.3L PZEV, FIRST PZEV —
    > partial zero-emission vehicle — to be sold nationwide.

But it wasn't available nationwide when it was originally introduced. For awhile, it could only be purchased in California and New York. It's nice to see they are now providing an opportunity for consumers to choose.

Also, "first" really doesn't mean much when the "second" will be available literally just days later. Both the 2004 Prius and the PZEV Focus will be available next month.

JOHN
    The devil is in the details, amazing how one SMALL little word can just change the whole meaning. But yes available days later where a few other's. But it's progress.

Ironically thru all this, Ford still has the most diverse alternative fuel efficient engines. Like the Flexible Fuel Taurus, Ranger. Gas powered Crown Vic, etc. etc. All are overlooked of course and cannot be compared to the higher efficieny of such hybrid systems. But as an example....
    FFVs don't prove a thing. They're there to help Ford sell more Excursions.
    > FFVs don't prove a thing.

Unfortunately, that's true. I live in the area where they've been testing the acceptance of E85 use in FFV cars & trucks.

Only once over the last few years have I ever seen a person actually put E85 in their tank.

So even though they can use E85, they choose gas instead. And there is no real cost difference either, so that isn't a factor. E85 is always 25 cents less than gas. So efficiency hit you take is made up for by the lower cost.

My observations base the resistence on these 2 factors. One is that people don't really understand what "E85" and "FFV" mean, even though they own a vehicle of that design. Two is that they simply don't want to have to fillup sooner.

JOHN
    Why nobody uses FFV is because they are either unaware of the fact that their car does take different kinds of fuel or that they can't find a place that offers E85. (None of the gas stations in my area offer E85)
    Doesn't regular gasoline have like ten percent E85?
    You can't get E85 here.......
    > Doesn't regular gasoline have like ten percent

In the metro area of Minnesota where E85 is easy to find, the only type of gas you can buy is with a 10% mixture of Ethanol.

JOHN
    But, isn't E85 all ethanol with 85 octane? Or, gasohol IOW?
    10 percent E85.
    E85 = 85% Ethanol

E10 = 10% Ethanol
    E10
    Ah......the mystery is unraveled. Thanks for the info, John. Well, we don't have any of it down here. In the winter, the gas is reformulated with 10% Ethanol or MBTE, but you don't get a choice. Winter, you pump it, Summer you don't.
    > In the winter, the gas is reformulated with 10% Ethanol

It is 10% Ethanol here ALL YEAR LONG.

And since crops needed to create the Ethanol are grown locally, we are pleased to be helping out those farmers rather than having to drill for more oil.

JOHN
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My local farmer is the billionaire JR Simplot who just happens to own more private property in Idaho than anyone - yours is likely Cargill or Archer Daniel Midlands. The ethanol subsidy is huge, and has been around for ~30 years. Corporate welfare at its best, imho.

Ah well, in disappointing news, Ford Delaying Fleet of Hybrid SUVs (Fox).

Maybe they'll arrive late next summer.

Steve, Host
    is because they do not want to put the car on the market and then have the Sierra Club start bugging them about building a Excursion Hybrid, even though it would not be feasible since some people, and I think Ford will use this in their defense against the Sierra Club, actually use the Excursion for it's intended purpose. Towing Boats while hauling 9 passengers.
    are hard workers who own little sections of big land that is owned by the city.
    Excursion is being phased out in 2006, and replaced with an Extended Expedition vehicle. The delay was caused mainly for last minute refining to increase it's efficiency, and issues with supplier's and if they are able to meet the higher standard's being implemented onto this drivetrain.

Not sure if it was here, or another newsboard, but I've hinted that it would be pushed back a bit.
    That Ford would cut the Excursion by May 2004 and introduce an Extended Expedition to be badged Expedition EXT and on the roads by 2005. What happened to the fast track of throwing away the largest SUV on the planet?
    MT is WRONG many times, so is Car and Driver, and a bunch of other publications. So I wouldn't say they are the bible of future information, in fact, Miss Cleo can do a better job predicting such things.

The Extended Expedition Project has been pushed back a few months to coincide with the next Expy revision. As in, Expect it to debut when a new touch-up of the normal Expy takes place.

There's a few factors involved as well, so not to get complicated, let's also take note it's built on the F-250 platform, therefore they'll be producted TILL the point that the Heavy Duty F-series are remodeled. Also look for the Triton 5.4L 3V engine to be implemented into the normal Expy....THEN......After that time, look for Extended Expy to be talked about and shortly introduced.

Timeline: A) NEW F-150 production totally phased in at ALL plants, Heritage Model dropped. (next year).

B) 5.4L 3V engine phased into the Expy

C) 1: Heavy Duty F-series retouched needing new 5.4L 3V engines

2: Excursion platform not really needed anymore, new Extended Expy to be phased in.
    My addition to post #65, where I couldn't remember exactly (aside from fuel sells), which I was trying to remember what else GM missed the boat in, or what future application they will not address.... Is diesel technology. I now remembered being the conversation was raised again when reading some info pertaining to it.

They have address they do not plan on offering any diesels on any vehicle except the Silverado with the 6.6L Duramax.

Ok Now I remember... Let's continue....
    GM missed the boat on Diesels. VW is starting up a Diesel Passat and Chrysler is offering a Diesel Jeep Liberty.
    Gm usually takes awhile to catch up on techonology, let's look at their OHV engines for example....

Having mainstream passenger vehicles such as Passat and Liberty fitted with diesels, might allow other automaker's to study their feasability in the U.S. market.

And I'm stating "mainstream" vehicles, being it's already available on the Jetta, the heart of the segment is midsized vehicles whereas the Jetta is subcompact. Let me get that out of the way before someone jumps on it. :)
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Is it still Summer '04 before these are actually available for sale?
    As of what I have seen, Ford is trying to refine and extract as much "efficiency" out of the Hybrid. If released at this moment, the vehicle would acheive 35MPG, when it's introduced in the summer (under the latest plans) it'll acheive 40MPG, so they are trying to refine it.
  • birkiebobbirkiebob Member Posts: 19
    I currently drive a Windstar because it gets better mileage than the big SUV's but can still tow my camper. Why can't Ford design the Escape to do this and still get 30mpg? DUH!
  • chief262chief262 Member Posts: 2
    I know most development is in-house but I was just wondering. I have some background experience w/ hybrids and currently work for a Tier-1 auto supplier. I'm trying to get my 1990 S-10 Blazer survive for another year until the hybrid Escape is available, or maybe the Toyota Highlander, whichever comes first.
  • chief262chief262 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know anything about radio interference in hybrid vehicles? I'm a volunteer firefighter and would be very interested in the hybrid Escape when they are available. But if there is a lot of RF noise from the electric motor and it affects two-way radio use, then I have a big problem.
    Because Prius is so computer dependent and it has such a powerful motor, it actually has some of the best RF shielding ever available for an automobile.

But of course, that's for it's hardware. That may not help for the placement of your hardware.

JOHN
    USA: Ford sets production date for its first hybrid - report
    31 Oct 2003
    Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Ford will start production of hybrid petrol-electric versions of its Escape sport utility vehicle in July 2004, with a target of selling 10,000 to 20,000 a year, company executives said on Thursday, according to Reuters.

The report noted that Ford has yet to set prices for the hybrid Escape, which may achieve fuel economy of up to 40 miles per gallon in city driving but added that programme managers at a media briefing and test drive said the hybrid Escape would be profitable though the full cost of developing the hybrid system would not be shouldered by Escape buyers.

Reuters said the hybrid Escape uses an electric motor and battery pack as an additional power source for its four-cylinder engine. The batteries charge when the Escape cruises or brakes, and the electric motor eases the load on the engine under acceleration.

Reuters said the the hybrid Escape will be built on the same assembly line in Claycomo, Missouri, that builds regular Escapes. A front-wheel-drive hybrid Escape should achieve 35 to 40 miles per gallon in city driving and 29 to 31 mpg in highway driving, compared with 19 mpg and 25 mpg ratings for a V6 powered Escape, the report added.

Phil Martens, Ford's group vice president of product creation, told Reuters it was necessary for Ford to develop its own hybrid system because it needed hybrid expertise to build even more advanced vehicles in the future, such as hydrogen-powered fuel cell cars.

While the company considered buying a hybrid system from Toyota, "we didn't want to avoid the process of learning about this technology," Martens told Reuters, adding: "To us, its a building block to the future."

According to Reuters, Martens said the Escape's hybrid system was designed to be easily adapted to other models - Ford has said it will sell a hybrid version of its upcoming Futura sedan, but Martens declined to say what other hybrid models Ford might offer.

Source: Just-Auto.com
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I thought they did buy the system from Toyota. I guess they didn't then?

A lot of people have been assuming the Escape Hybrid would be a generation behind because they were using Toyota's 1st gen system. Now, since it seems they developed their own proprietary system, for all we know they could be ahead of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. Now it seems that GM is who will really be behind in this game. They're too busy toying around with hydrogen to worry about hybrid technology, which is what the consumer is going to accept. Seriously, how is a tank of compressed hydrogen going to react in a severe accident? My guess is all the passengers will have a free cremation and ash scattering all in one shot. ;)
    Will there be a Mercury (or Lincoln) version?
    Not a bad idea, but how would you justify the extra $$$ that Mercury always charges for its models? The engine would have to be the same, and the tires would have to be the same, so what major item are you going to change? make the sunroof standard? give them a tiptronic automatic?
    upgrading the interior materials, longer warranty, better stereo, more standard features, and more available features.