Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• butmywife3butmywife3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks kyfdx. This may sound like a dumb question but . . . Did the car look green? I recently saw a 2007 Dark Green BMW and I had to look hard to see that it was green and not dark grey or black.

Butmywife
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,742
    Yeah.. it's sort of a dusty green, but it's definitely green... Not sure what to compare it to... definitely not forest green...

I know the Highland Green that they put on X3s last year was so dark that you had to see it in just the right light to know that it wasn't black.. Tasman isn't like that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwchitownbmwchitown Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm looking to purchase a 335i in the Chicago area through ED. Any recommendation on dealers? I've seen a few posts on Orland Park but wanted to see if there was another dealer that others have used as well.

Also, where can I go to find 2009 335i Eurpoean pricing? Everything I've seen is for 2007 and 2008 models.

Thanks!
  • rick11rick11 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, usually there is a basic post that you want to find to give the standard advice. I'm looking for that post, can someone direct me to it? (I prefer the longer rather than shorter version please.)

Also, I have these questions too:

I'm thinking of placing an order for European Delivery for 2010.

(1) Can anyone tell me where I can get the invoice price (or where to look) for the 2010?
    (2) Any info on how to negotiate differently than if I were buying a car not for ED?

(3) Does anyone have the invoice info for the 2009?

(4) Best dealers to work with in Southern California (Los Angeles or San Diego areas) -- heck, for the best deal I'd also go to San Francisco or Las Vegas

Any help much appreciated! Thank you.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    2009 pricing is available at bimmerfest. Add about 4-5% for 2010.
    ED pricing is quite easy. call. ask to speak with the ed manager. Explain the car you want - piece by piece - and give him the price you will pay over ED wholesales (usually $800-1000). Either he'll accept or reject it.

There's a good guy in SoCal who does ED - he's also on Bimmerfest.com. He will hook you up with an easy 1000 ED deal.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Are we turning away from Euro Delivery? If you post repsonse please post when purchased in last 12 months, which dealer and how much you over or under paid compared to the Euro delivery posted prices ( Not the US MSRP prices). Thank you.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I plan to use this when the model I want becomes available (a 530d GT). I think one reason it may not be used too much is that first, you have to pay in full for the vehicle at least 30-days before you take delivery in Germany, and then, you won't have it in your hands back in the states for possibly as much as 6-weeks after you turn it in. This leaves you with over two months where you may end up with a car you can't sell yet, or use the equity from to offset the purchase. If leasing, that's double lease payments, and if you own it, maybe extra payments, or a big lump sum withdrawal you may not want to make.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    Lots of information on ED at Bimmerfest.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    has become less popular, or at least much less talked about in Edmunds, ever since the barn-burning lease deals dried up several years ago.

Now you actually have to buy the car, or lease it for vastly increased monthly payments, relative to what was going on back in the day.

Plus which there's the RFT debacle & other things that tend to turn off many of the enthusiasts; many, if not most, Edmunds posters are enthusiasts, not badge seekers or appliance drivers.

Or, perhaps not. Maybe it's something else.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'm about to go to Stuttgart for four months and would love to try Euro delivery. does anybody have a good link to "confidential ED pricing"?
    It gets messy if you don't export the vehicle within certain timelines...not sure you could stay for four months (might be okay, have to read the regulations). The ED program has you buy it from your local (USA) dealer. The basic ED discount is shown directly on the BMWUSA website. Just go to Experience/European Delivery/Choose your vehicle to get the basic price (not including options) and the terms. Basic delivery includes 14-days insurance and registration and delivery back to the dealer's in the USA.
    Thanks James. I've seen the ED MSRP but I'd rather have the invoice in my hand when I negotiate. It takes about 3months, so I'd only have it for my last month or so.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Unless there have been changes, the car must be bought from a dealer in the US and closed one month before delivery. Also you can buy extended insurance and the car can stay in Europe for 6 months before the VAT tax wil be charged.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Whoa, never use the BMW web site for buying ED - it's a total rip off. With some effort and research you can get the ED wholesale price (about 15% off MSRP).
    Luftansa has a BMW specific offer of buy one, get one free airfare. It's not bad, but, you pay the taxes and surcharges on the second ticket, which, in my case came to $510 for that 'free' ticket. Still, cheaper than buying it outright, but by no means 'free'. There are advantages, though, the tickets are fully refundable and they don't charge your CC until 4-weeks beforehand when you re-confirm the flight. I hadn't flown internationally for awhile, and the fuel surcharges being added threw me a big curve.
    I'm in Germany for the next four months and have a buyer for my MB back home. So, I'm looking for a reliable dealer willing to work a good price for a 328 via ED. I'd prefer an east coast dealer (VA, MD, DC, ATL) but I'm willing to go to CA for the right deal. If you know a dealer, please post the contact info (wihtin the Edmunds restrictions). Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We don't permit contact info, but people are more than welcome to post dealership recommendations by name. Google can assist you from there. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• avocatdiaboliavocatdiaboli Member Posts: 22
    any recommendations on dealers to use? in the DC area here, but willing to travel. Thanks!
  • cusincusin Member Posts: 11
    I'm considering doing an ED and I'm not sure if I can specify the day I want the car delivered. Can I order the car, let's say 4 months ahead of time and specify the delivery date?
    They ask for a choice of three days. I did this at the end of January and got my first choice in April. Unless that day is a holiday or something, at 4-months, you shouldn't have a problem. Keep in mind that much of Germany goes on holiday in August.
    Thanks James. I probably will approach the dealers 5 month ahead of my desired date.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Joern Esser at Passport BMW, who happens to be a German, does a lot of ED. He is well known on other BMW forums for his ED service.
  • dallasmandallasman Member Posts: 77
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a Texas dealer that is experienced with ED and will provide decent pricing?
    From my perspective, almost any dealer can provide at least reasonable service on European delivery. The fixed discount is only on the base vehicle. You add the options you want, and then negotiate whatever discount you can from the discounted European delivery price, and the undiscounted options. Because the dealer isn't charged any advertising fees, floorplan, etc. on the vehicle, they can offer the deal for less than one off their lot. Since it doesn't come out of their allocation, but helps build it for subsequent orders, there are no down sides to offering a competative price other than greed.

You give them a first, second, and third choice of delivery dates, and they submit the paperwork. Within a week or so, they give you the delivery date and time. I picked mine up on 27 April, but am waiting it to show up back in the states. No report yet on when that will be. I ordered mine the end of January, and probably could have picked it up earlier, but wanted to wait until the likelyhood of snow was over, and the weather was warmer.
  • 01redz0601redz06 Member Posts: 21
    Greed is enough. Despite the stories of a good deal being $500-$1000 over dealer cost, I have been unable to find a dealer in Texas who is interested in doing an ED deal for less than 1500 over dealer cost. That is considering Houston dealers, Beaumont, and Tyler. I have found a dealer in the Chicago area that was about $1200 over but then I have to add $850 trucking cost to the number. Some dealers want $3200 over, and if that is not greed, I don't know what is. For a little paperwork and no concessions on their allotments. If anyone is aware of a dealer within 500 miles of Houston who is interested in ED for $750 over, please provide contact info.
    Keep in mind that any European delivery (at least at this time, it could change) can be specified to be delivered to the Performance Center in Spartansburg, SC. If you do this, you get a free night in the hotel, meals, and a day's training at the track in a similar car. Then, you drive it home. It may or may not add some time to when you get it back here in the states...I picked up mine in Munich on 27 April, dropped it off in Munich on 5 May, it was shipped on 18 May, and is supposed to be at the PC in SC on 2 June. I expect to hear something next week about scheduling the delivery date later in the month.
    I understand the cars are shipped to the USA from Hamburg, Germany. If the car is dropped, let's say in Munich, is it then driven to Hamburg by a BMW personnel or is put on a truck and shipped to Hamburg?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,742
    From the dropoff point in Munich, the cars are trucked to port.. If you drop off elsewhere in Europe (which is an option), then your car may be driven back to Munich.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You get 15-days (or maybe it was two weeks, I don't remember exactly) insurance as part of the delivery. You can pay for more (can't be over 6-months though, or you'll have to pay the VAT). Depending on where you drop it off, (they specifically mention Italy) you have to have enough days left for it to be driven back to Germany for subsequent shipping back to the states. So, depends on where you drop it off.

I found it easiest to do a loop tour, and returned to Munich. Their drop-off facility is about a 2-minute walk from the international terminal at the airport - super easy and no appointment needed. Many of the other dropoff points require an appointment. The details are on the www.bmwusa.com website where they have alist of the dropoff points and any special considerations (hours, days, shipping, etc.).
    Well, as I was getting more serious in getting an M3 through the European Delivery Plan, per the on-line info available from BMW, it appears that the Ms are no longer offered in that Plan.
    Anybody knows if this is temporary?
    It may be that all available production has been spoken for...if so, you'll have to find one at a dealer's lot.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    If you want to say just take delivery and drop it off immediately at the port?

Travel costs would be cheaper in the winter but driving would not be good because you'd need winter tires or chains.
    There are several places in Germany and many others around Europe that you can drop off the car. In fact, for a flat fee (I think it was about $75, you can just hand the keys over at the delivery center, and they'll drive it to Munich airport to the shipper for you. In Germany (and other potentially mountainous countries), you can be fined if you don't have appropriate tires for the conditions - this means if you are supposed to have winter tires and don't, you're at risk and a danger to the others. They get really particular about that sort of thing there. So, depends on where you plan to drive and the local conditions. You won't have to contend with many tourists during the winter, but some things are closed. Still, lots of things to see and do plus the airfare and off-season rates are better than summer. I did mine this year in April (late) so that I'd avoid the snow, but before the summer high season. Lots of things just opening for the season, and the weather was decent, too.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited December 2011
    I know at least two cases of M3 delivery in last three months - one was my salesman other client buying at the same time as I did (Munich delivery in mid October), another one a couple I met at Performance Center last week, when I was picking up my wagon. They just got Alpine White M3, also in ED. So, if this is the case, it must be just weeks.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I appears that this Forum is not visited very much. In any case, I just want to inform that I did ordered my M3 using ED. Everything appears fine so far. I already got my car production # and got my flight reservation for my companion and I with Lufthansa using the promo they have for ED.
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    If I order an ED, how do they handle lease payments? Do I have to make lease payments during the 6-8 weeks it is shipped back. Also, since there is such a delay, does anyone know when they will be commencing the building of the 2013 528/535?
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    Whatever method you use to 'buy' the vehicle, either loan, cash, or lease must be completed when you first take delivery, so yes, from that point, your warranty, and ownership start and you'd be paying for it while it's in transit.

Hard to say now when the 2013 models will start, but it seems to often be in the October timeframe. So, late summer, early September, you might be able to order one. The final price list sometimes takes awhile after production starts. If your delivery happens when it could be snowy, you could run into some extra charges...in much of Europe, if you don't have the proper tires (i.e., winter tires for snowy/icy conditions), you can be fined heavily, so you may need to buy or rent them. If caught in an area where the conditions warrant them, and you don't have them, it can get very expensive in fines - all-season tires don't cut it with them.

If you haven't done it, European delivery is a treat - I did it last year for the first time. Also note that if you desire, you can have the vehicle redelivered at the Performance Center in SC for no extra charge. This gets you a tour of the factory, some time on the track, a free night in the hotel, and meals for 2. You need to get there on your own, and home. The other option is to have it delivered to the selling dealer. if the timing and location work out, it is an interesting thing to do (note, you can request a factory tour while in Munich as well (book in advance), different vehicle (3-series) verses the X-series in SC).
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    I would be leasing it but it doesn't make sense if I get a 535xi to pay approx. $1,600.00 in lease payments for the 6-8 weeks it will take to ship back to the US.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    The basis on which the lease is computed should be lower for an ED, so you'd have to have them determine how that may affect your lease payments. Because you should get it for less, and the residual value should remain the same, you should save some money so maybe those fees while you don't have the thing might come out in the wash...

If you do order one, verses taking one off the lot, you can still have it delivered to the Performance Center, if you wish.
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    As much as I know, BMW FS does not require that you pay one monthly payment while the car is in transport back to the US. However, this will include only the payment for one month, while you have mentioned that it takes up to 8 weeks, i.e., 2 months, for the car to be shipped back, which is actually the time that it takes to be delivered to US if ordered from scratch from the dealer. Long story short, it takes about 8 weeks for the car to be made and delivered in the US, so I believe that your times are not correct. Furthermore, I would ask BMW directly to explain how this could be arranged, so that the lease of ED Bimmers is not that much penalizing for leasees.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited April 2012
    Here is the thing - timelimes are not guaranteed. Sometimes there is a backlog in customs, so they give those estimates conservatively.

In my case, it they took the car on October 31 and it cleared the customs (Savannah, GA) around December 10-12. I took delivery in the Performance Center less than two weeks later - if I were picking it up at a dealer, it might have been couple of days less, week perhaps (Tampa). Overall, it took say just about 6 weeks, just about just low end of what they say for East Coast. They do say West Coast takes 8 to 10 weeks.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I didn't finance mine, so don't know about them forgiving a lease payment, but basically, once you take delivery, it's yours...the warranty starts from the day you pick it up the first time, whether that is in Munich, or at your local dealer's lot...it doesn't get extended or forgiven for the time in transit. Now, if they chose to, they could forgive a lease payment.

I was told that ED vehicles don't go through the same process at the port...since you might have stashed something in it, or the vehicle might have picked up something in its travels before shipping, they can and sometimes do look at them individually, rather than a block signoff of a new one direct from the factory. then, assuming you have nav, that gets reprogrammed to the NA maps, overwriting (as far as I can tell, not in addition to) the European ones that were put in at the factory for your use there. There may be other, normally dealer installed options that are installed at BMW's facility near the port for ED vehicles as well. That could add some time to the overall delivery schedule.

Same thing is true on the BMW assist link/contract...even though the phone module won't work in Europe, the free 48-months starts when you take delivery, not when you get it back in the states.

Just part of the way things are, you either take it or leave it...you don't NEED to pick it up there, but you can.
  • david3seriesdavid3series Member Posts: 2
    We took EU delivery on our 3-series and it was the trip of a lifetime, do it!! Munchen staff treat you like a king and you get those awesome German plates too! Stash them under your trunk floormat for the return shipment to the USA. We drove from Munich to Venice, Florence, across Tuscany, then down to Rome. BMW sent a pro driver to pick up the car and then it was delivered to our dealer 2 miles from our house in San Diego. (Tip your driver nicely, it's worth it!). My only regret is that we did not negotiate price aggressively, and THEN request Euro delivery, so we paid more than we should. But hey, we still got a price break. Couple of travel tips: Don't use BMW's travel arrangements/hotel, etc., way too pricey. We planned our trip. BMW had a promo at the time, gave us 2 for 1 on airfare too. Another tip: Stay at Best Western hotels, they were great, affordable, great breakfast, secure parking. Super bargain and nice hotels usually downtown in your cities. We're gonig to do it again! Super fun to go there, BTW Munich rocks!
    How long did it take from order to delivery in Munich?
    It depends on the model, and how close to model changeover. Also, sometimes, they've got a vehicle on the line that is close, or exactly what you want that may have been ordered that can be diverted to you, so it's hard to say exactly. The website gives averages, specifics are harder to determine. I ordered mine far enough in advance so there was no question on the delivery date (you give them your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice) and I got my first choice, which made picking up a plane ticket easier and cheaper since I had some advance. The 2 for 1 they have with Luftansa is a bit more than the cheapest flights you might find, but it is fully refundable and changeable, which you don't get with the real cheap flights. And, for me at least, it was a non-stop flight to Munich. Double-check the details. Basically, while the second ticket is 'free', as like most European airlines, they separate the 'fare' from the fuel surcharge, and that was like $500+ last year for the 'free' ticket.
    Thanks! I think I'll have to start talking with my dealer soon because I'm thinking about doing a short-notice trip to Germany. If I can save enough on the car, that would seal the deal.
  • 530iturk530iturk Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2012
    Tip: Some dealers will tell you that the ED price is fixed. Not true (at least it wasn't a short time ago).
    Don't know where you live, but you might try getting internet pricing from dealers (you can still have it delivered to SC, or a local dealer).

I did ok with the one in Camarillo, CA.
    Yes, you can negotiate a discount. The ED price is only on the base vehicle, then they add all of your options at list. So, between them and the margins, you can often get a significant further discount. The dealer doesn't lose an allocation, and it counts as a sale against his quota; plus, he doesn't have to pay any floorplanning on it, so he can sell it at a decent discount and still make money - more so than one off his lot.
  • mikescmikesc Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2012
    So my BMW dealer her in Texas said the ED price is 7% off the MSRP for base price and does not extend to the options. Is this reasonable or can you get it for much lower?
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    edited September 2012
    Mikesc, go to bimmerfest.com, and search forums dealing with ED. It appears that there is a number of dealers who are willing to sell an ED car for $500 above ED invoice. Good luck.