Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Yes, the extended maintenance is what i meant. :) I do remember it being much cheaper just a few years ago. Then, it seemed like a screaming deal. Now, it might be something to pass on if i've just had inspection 2 and brakes done.... I'll just see how it goes.

I did purchase the wheel/tire insurance as well as 4 years of paintless dent repair. Based on my record with the e36, i am a ding magnet, and the doors of the e90 can only exacerbate that.

If someone offered me $4000 for my 328i i'd take it in a second. :) But it's got 153K miles, ratty/torn seats, ~20 door dings, several rust spots, and someone keyed it recently.
  • mck9235mck9235 Member Posts: 3
    I've been looking into the following:
    2009 328xi with automatic, heated front seats, premium package, navigation, iPod, satellite radio and metallic paint.

I've gotten quotes from the two local dealers (VOB & Passport in Maryland) and they are $40,995 and $40,790, respectively.

Does this sound fair or is this there a lot more room to negotiate? As of yet I've simply asked for the quote, no real haggling. Am I missing any offers/incentives as well (this will be cash purchase, not financed or leased)?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
  • houston328ihouston328i Member Posts: 4
    This is what I was offered earlier this week

-2009 BMW 328i (Base Model)
    -Alpine White
    -Tan leather (not leatherette)
    -Demo Vehicle with 7500 miles on it.

Online the price of the vehicle was $32,991 (which I would assume is sticker price), but when I was "quoted" in store I was given
    $36,745.00 (Vehicle price)
    - 3,754.00 (Preferred customer discount)
    $32,991.00 (Selling price)
    I asked if this would be the lowest price I could get on the car and they were not willing to budge from the $32,991 stating that it was already deeply discounted.
    It qualifies for the new car rate of 1.9% since it technically hasn't been "owned"
    Since I was open to both leasing or purchasing I priced both options.
    -Leased with 1500 down and 36 mths at $598/mth
    -Purchase with 1500 down and 60 mths at $589/mth

I have a feeling this is not the best deal I can get on this particular car, since the "preferred customer discount" was in place before I even stepped in the door, meaning the vehicle price=MSRP and selling price is well just that the "selling price/sticker price"
    Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks in advance. I would like purchase or lease this vehicle by the end of the week.
  • njv3seriesnjv3series Member Posts: 2
    new '09 328ix sedan with metallic paint, leatherette, steptronic, cold weather, ipod, power seats, bmw assist bluetooth

total out of pocket at signing including all taxes and fees $3500
    monthly payment $420
    36 months, 10K miles per year
  • ccappaccappa Member Posts: 29
    You are buying a demo, i.e., a used car. It should be priced accordingly.

7500 miles is a lot.

The initial price they gave you 36,745, is MSRP.

The selling price ($32,991.00) sounds awfully high to me, for a demo.
  • sshvhsshvh Member Posts: 13
    This sounds about right - however, since the 335d does not qualify for the 1.9% financing, you could try to wiggle out another 1K. Please note that the discount on the diesel X5 is much more (perhaps 8K).
  • crocodiletearscrocodiletears Member Posts: 18
    -Leased with 1500 down and 36 mths at $598/mth

that's a terrible lease price!

32,991.00 (Selling price)

the selling price on my car was 43.4 and it's msrp was 48.3. payments are 583 a month with 1500 down
  • jeff71jeff71 Member Posts: 11
    I was not able to get quite this good of a deal on a 335d. I am still waiting.
    Yeah this is my first BMW and I just feel like i'm getting a lot of BS back and forth I've never leased before and I've never put any down-payment on a car and have been more than satisfied with my final payment on *new* purchases. Would you know what I should be expecting to pay monthly then?
    I want to buy or lease a 2009 328i base model.
    low 400s.

read up about leases and bmw money factor. the more knowledge you have the better you will feel. i didn't know much about leases either until i thought about leasing a car.
  • dalntgeniusdalntgenius Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for a 335i that is hard loaded with Prem, Sport, & Nav. Can someone give me some ballpark suggestions on what kind markup dealers put in their CPO prices. I'm seeing a lot of 2007 335i sedans in the $35k to $37k range which is inline with the Edmunds prices, however I know there must be some room for negotiating so I was curious what others would suggest I make my beginning offers at.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    Start with $5-6K off their asking price. If the car is what you want, then settle for about $4k off their asking price.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• valuebuyer1valuebuyer1 Member Posts: 9
    I did not think CPO'd cars had that much wiggle room.
    What is your recomendation for a 2006 cpo 330ci convertable
    -20200 miles
    -sport package
    -leather
    -new sport tires
    -new rain sensing windshield
    dealer is asking 32,900
    I don't know how much wiggle room the CPO cars have. I think the selling dealer has to put the money into the car to get it up to CPO standards + the cost of the CPO warranty. But then again, it is a used car and dealers make lots of money on used cars.

Now might not be the best time to buy a convertible depending where you are. You never know though, go into the dealer close to the end of the month & make an out the door offer of $28K + Tax. Maybe you'll be driving home with the top down. Keep us posted.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I don't think you can combine the 1840 xdrive and 1260 auto transmission incentive.
    on the xdrive it doesn't offer the 1260 if you pick auto trans. correct me if I am wrong...
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I think that's a great deal $41092 of MSRP $49470. You'd also get $900 tax credit on it.
  • rodiddyrodiddy Member Posts: 8
    Alrighty ladies and gents. We are close to buying a new BMW -- went to the dealer today and was offered $43,659 for a 2009 328i coupe w/ the following options:

MET Metallic Paint $550
    ZPP Premium Package $3,350
    LC Dakota Leather $1,450
    ZSP Sport Package $1,450
    205 6-Speed STEPTRONIC $1,325
    322 Comfort Access System $500
    494 Heated Front Seats $500
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter $400
    2XA Sport Steering Wheel w/Paddle Shifters $100
    4AS Gray Poplar Wood Trim $0

When I went for the whole 10% off the MSRP trick the salesman looked at me like I was from Jupiter! Is this the right ROT (rule of thumb)? What should we be paying here? The MSRP was $45450. There is also a compreable 2008 model w/ 1700 miles on it for $35300. Which way do I go?
    that deal is worse than every bmw dealer in socal who gave me an INITIAL internet quote. Most of them ranged from 2500-2900 off of msrp for a similarly optioned car.

bmw has 7% invoice.

if there is a 2008 with similar options and it is nearly 8k cheaper than what you can buy the new one for and it has less than two months of mileage-go that route. but only you can be happy with your purchase.

email other dealers in a five hour radius of you to get more offers. try some socal ones too so you can get a feel for what they are offering.
  • persnicketypersnickety Member Posts: 1
    There are two versions of the 6sp (ZF) steptronic used by BMW in their 3 series. The one they have been using in the 328's can only shift one gear at a time, and it takes a little time for each gear. It's particularly bad on the AWD models. To test it, take the car up to 45 mph or so in "D" let it settle into 6th, get on the brakes hard (like a panic stop) to get to 10 mph or less, then immediately mash the throttle. You may find the car will take an unacceptably long time to get down into 1st or 2nd, where it can accelerate briskly. I had a 2007 328xi, and I couldn't get it to downshift quickly in this circumstance by shifting manually or any other way. If you never foresee a problem where you'd brake hard, then need to get out of the way quickly, this won't matter to you.
    The version BMW uses in the 335 models can go from any gear to any other, so it doesn't have this problem. BMW had planned to start using the better transmission in all their 3 series, so the one you're looking at may have the better one.
    Per the rest of the car, very nice equipment package, solid car, not a bad price. I had no complaints about mine except the steptronic.
  • njv3seriesnjv3series Member Posts: 2
    Does this sound like a fair lease deal??

new '09 328ix sedan with metallic paint, leatherette, steptronic, cold weather, ipod, power seats, bmw assist bluetooth

total out of pocket at signing including all taxes and fees $3500
    monthly payment $420
    36 months, 10K miles per year
  • dalntgeniusdalntgenius Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a 2007 CPO 335i sedan with the following options:
    Premium
    Sport
    Navigation
    Logic 7
    Automatic
    32,000 miles

Dealer asking price was $36,000 and I was able to negotiate $31,500 and the car comes with the 6yr/100k CPO warranty.
    WOW! That's phenomenal! Congrats on a nice deal on a sick car!

• fastbavarianfastbavarian Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys, I already signed a deal. But I would like to be comfortable.
    MSRP 42845
    Cost Capital price on the invoice is 38700.

I paid net out of my pocket $4,524 includes everything. tax, 1st month, last month, registration, licence, everything, cost reduction (down payment) 2500
    Then, $378/mo. for 36months.

2009 328i coupe, sport package+heated seats+Ipod+6speed_steptronic

IS THIS A GOOD DEAL?

thanks everyone!
    Wow that sounds WAY better than I've gotten quoted on! If you don't mind me asking, what city and state are you in?
    NYC. What was your deal ? I am still uncomfortable. I think, I would have received more discount. :(

Should I feel comfortable?
    Sticker prices at the dealer are 36-39K but how much room for negotiations do I have? 2010s are right around the corner. I want the 2009. Would there be more room to negotiate if I waited a while longer? How long? How much of a difference?
    Have you leased before? Put as little "down" or upfront as possible. Roll the taxes into the payment & take the $2500 and roll it into your payment. If your car gets stolen or totalled at any point during your lease, that money is gone & you will never see it again.

what other options does the car have besides sport package/Hot seats/Ipod adap/ & Slushbox?

There's another vehicle we were looking at crosstown... The offer is 2009 328i coupe
    6-Speed STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
    Sports Steering Wheel
    Heated Front Seats
    iPod and USB Adapter
    Sport Package
    Leatherete
    for $37900

MSRP $41000
    it is the first time leasing. dont know the adv/disadv. I already signed the contract and driving the car. :D

Car doesnt have any other options. Sport pack/heated and memory seats, steptronic, ipod. thats it !

Do you think it is a good deal?

Do I have right to get the down payment back and apply it to the payments now? Any chance? Do i have right to do that?
    Nothing you can do now. ENJOY your beautiful car! We had a 328i (X drive coupe) as a loaner car once and I was very impressed with the handling, so that car must be wonderful to drive with RWD & the Sports Package! Have fun!

Absolutly beautiful running ! I love it. I will try my chance and talk to them again.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    Isn't leather included in the premium package and the sport steering wheel in the sport package? By my reckoning that's $1550 you're erroneously adding to MSRP. Good luck.

-jaj
    I just added the options using edmunds TMV calculator? So, I don't really know for sure. What about the new option we're looking at: check 12 aug post?
  • gator24gator24 Member Posts: 3
    I am stationed overseas and just purchased a 2010 BMW 328xi this afternoon--I will pick it up in November. Here are the details:

2010 BMW 328xi $33,400
    Montego Blue $550
    6 speed manual
    Gray Dakota Leather N/C--ZVP
    Heathed front seats N/C-ZVP
    Ipod/USB interface N/C-ZVP
    Comfort Access $500
    Navigation $2100
    Sport Package $850
    Power Front Seats $995
    BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth $750
    Transport to Selling Dealer $750
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Total: $39,895 OTD---also tax free!!
    I am glad I waited to buy a 2010...the value package is a good deal and the base price of the car dropped $750 (as moonroof is no longer standard)
  • uncmo96uncmo96 Member Posts: 6
    If you taken the promotional financing (1.9% x 5 years) can you still get the $1840 incentive.
  • ags121ags121 Member Posts: 3
    hi guys, can you help me with this, I actually have two questions. I am looking at a 3 yr 10k/year lease on 328i xdrive that has been used a test-drive model(has about 400 odd miles). The first question involves the lease sheet. The msrp is 42,450, and below that on the sheet I see a selling price of 37,770. However the figure for total capitalized cost is 39,388.8. Doing out the math, I can tell the 39k number is the one being used in the lease math. Shouldn't these numbers be the same?

Second question is does this still seem like a deal? After the 39,388 theres a 1k cap reduction(must be bmw lease cash?) so I end up putting $4,400 down(additional 2k cap reduction on my part) at signing and paying 440 a month(all Ny state taxes included in the upfront payment ) Despite the mismatch between selling price/msrp i believe it's not a bad deal, but shouldn't the two numbers be the same? Thanks guys.
  • mw92101mw92101 Member Posts: 1
    I'm got a quote for a 335i Convertible and would like to know if its a good deal. The dealer has refused to let me take home the MF (but I think it was like .00275) or the actual price (though its somewhere around $58,500). I new to leasing and I'm confused by the leasing tables I've reviewed, because they appear to say that this quote is way too high, but I'm not confident enough in my calculations to knwo for sure. Any help is much appreciated.

MSRP: $60500
    Monthly: $665
    Down: $5,000
    36 months lease

Options include:
    Nav
    Sport Package with 19'
    Comfort
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    I Pod
    Smart Phone Int.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    The dealer can tell you what's included in the CAP cost, but for starters, there will most certainly be an acquistion fee. BMWFS charges $725, but the dealer can mark it up to $925 (and most do) for extra profit.

The other $600-$800, you'll just have to ask the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mck9235mck9235 Member Posts: 3
    I've been looking into the following:
    2009 328xi with automatic, heated front seats, premium package, navigation, iPod, satellite radio and metallic paint.

I've gotten quotes from the two local dealers (VOB & Passport in Maryland) and they are $40,995 and $40,790, respectively.

Does this sound fair or is this there a lot more room to negotiate? As of yet I've simply asked for the quote, no real haggling. Am I missing any offers/incentives as well (this will be cash purchase, not financed or leased)?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
  • acurapriceacuraprice Member Posts: 91
    Do you guys think this is a good deal?

335i, jet black/saddle brown, premium, sport, nav, steptronic auto trans, sport wheel w paddles, anti theft, comfort access, heated front seats, satellite w 1 yr, HD radio, ipod & usb:

MSRP: $51,845
    SALES PRICE: $46,500
    State and Local Taxes 6.25%: $2,906.25
    Dealers Inventory Tax: $117.41
    Title, Reg Fee & Inspection: $59.75
    License, License Transfer: $70.80
    Doc Fee: $50.00
    Drive Out Total: $49,704.21

Financed with 1.9% APR....No money down, first payment due Sep 15th.

Love the car!! Unbelievable power!!
  • mgalaxxymgalaxxy Member Posts: 2
    hi Gator24,

Where exactly did you get your car? Herb Chaimber from MA gave me a quote for 2009 BMW 328 xdrive for 42536 include the following

metallic blue
    cold weather package
    premium package
    AWD
    Ipod adaptor
    Destination Charge

what do you think?
  • pmisrapmisra Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a great deal. What state and which dealer did you buy from? I live in New Jersey. If its not too far, it might be worth the drive.
    I am currently living in the UK and I bought my 328xi direct from Germany through a tax free sales dealer.

Not too bad a deal. Although, I think you could get another $750-1000 knocked off that price. I think invoice for what you listed is around $41,000.
  • samuel17samuel17 Member Posts: 9
    I am car shopping and did not think I could swing it to get a new 328ix, but after being offered the following it might be feasible for me and I am wondering what your thoughts are:

2009 328ix new
    MSRP $39,245
    Selling price $38,010
    Only options are automatic, power seat, heated front seats
    BMW Select deal at 1.9% rate, with $1500 out of pocket = $449 mo. for 60 months
    Balloon payment at end of term is $13,343

I know there must be a downside to this select program that I am not seeing, but when I do a Kelly Blue Book look up for a used 2009 328ix with 60K miles,(I drive about 11-12K miles per year) in good condition(not the best) it gives me a trade in value of $23,775.(higher of course if I wanted to sell privately) So would that mean after 5 years I would buy the car for $13,343, then if I wished could trade in for about 23K and I would realize the difference of about 10K in equity? Or in 5 years would this 2009 be dramatically less than a current 2009 with 60K miles on it?

Thank you for any thoughts
    Firstly, the MSRP you listed for the 328xi is high--should be closer to $38,400 bog standard without any fees, metallic paint, anything. Secondly, I'm not sure I follow your reasoning in regards to trading in the car in 5 years time. There is no way that driving 60K miles in 12 months is the equivalent of a 5 year old car with same mileage. Why? Because the car is five years old and will most likely be far out of date in styling, technology, etc. Granted that in both scenarios they will be out of warranty ( mileage in the first example...age in the second). With the car and options you listed, you would be silly to expect ~$23,000 privately....let alone a trade in--even with the high residual value that BMWs carry. I think $16-18K may be doable in 5 years, but depends on the shape of the car. If you want more later you may want to think about adding a couple more desirable options. Just do a search for 2004 BMW 3 series with around 60K miles and for an idea of how they depreciated compared to their original price. Hope this helps.
  • samuel17samuel17 Member Posts: 9
    Gator24,

That was very helpful, thank you.
  • lvdrumnlvdrumn Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone can let me know from their experience if the lease offer I received today is in check.

I'm looking to lease a 2009 328i Coupe, premium package with Nav, iPod and Bluetooth.

First lease quote came in at:

3 year
    15k miles/year
    $3500 down, plus drive off
    $399/month

Does this sound good?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stephan
    Hi lvdrumm,

I think it is a good deal. And better than mine. Mine is;

2009 328i coupe, sport package+heated seats+Ipod+6speed_steptronic
    MSRP 42845
    Cost Capital price on the invoice is 38700.
    I paid net out of my pocket $4,524 includes everything. tax, 1st month, last month, registration, licence, everything, cost reduction (down payment) 2500
    Then, $378/mo. for 36months.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I don't think his is better than yours. He's putting down $3500 plus fees. You put down $1k less AND wound up with $21 less per month.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S