Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• adr2adr2 Member Posts: 8
    Just remember that the Infiniti's low to mid 500s number doesn't include any maintenance payments you're likely to incur, whereas you won't spend anything out-of-pocket for BMW's service.
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    Yeah, I'm factoring in about 500 yr/maintenance for the Infiniti. From what I read, the 335's tires wear out pretty quickly if you accept the standard Bridgestone RFT and that's not covered under Ultimate Service.

I would still take the BMW at more per month but not at $200+ more.
  • truthseeker825truthseeker825 Member Posts: 2
    I have been "talking" to BMW (VA dealer - Fairfax BMW) and they gave me a number and said he was quoting me "invoice" before the incentive cash. Are the KBB invoice prices accurate? He also mentioned that the markup is 7%...any comments or thoughts?

Thanks!
  • amy58222amy58222 Member Posts: 3
    this will be my first bmw...i wonder if the next deal will be better than 1500 on a 328i sedan.does anyone know what the best bmw gives?
  • lowballer7lowballer7 Member Posts: 11
    Regarding invoice, I was also told 6.9% below sticker (MSRP) by one dealer in Los Angeles, but 2 other dealers told me 6% below. I strongly believe it's around 7%, and not any less.

Some BMW dealers just have a higher markup, and one sales girl admitted it to me. After I offered a fair price, she quoted me at least $1,100 more than other dealers! Later, she found out I was talking to another BMW dealer (they all talk to each other), and she called wanting me to buy from her. I told her, "sorry, your price is way too high." She admitted and justified it by saying her dealership offers more "perks" and some people are willing to pay extra for that. Even if I was a millionaire, I wouldn't pay more than a $1,000 for the same car.

Advice: Avoid Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA.

I ended up getting a sweet deal on a 2009 335i sedan, fully loaded, colors I wanted, for the same price as a 2010 328i. Actually it was a little less!! It was a factory owned late model 2009, and was driven for 3 months by a BMW exec. I will post price and all info in another thread for 335i prices.
    Hi Truthseeker825,

Some more sound advice...go to at least 3 dealers, and get 3 quotes. Also, Edmund's TMV is way too high for the 2010 328i, and other cars. You can get that car for $500 above invoice with floor mats (usually extra cost). Yes, beware of the "car mat curveball!!" Many sales people will try to add that on at the end, after you've already come to agreement on price!!
  • hblatt1hblatt1 Member Posts: 7
    I am buying a 2009 3 series, either a 328 Conv or 335 Coupe.
    I was told that the $1500/$2500 Holiday Cash could be applied to the 09 cars.
    But the dealer told me that I need to have my credit app in by yesterday to qualify for that cash. So I faxed my App in last night before leaving the office only to come back this morning and find a Transmission Verification Report which states that the Dealer's fax line was busy and the fax, thus, could not go through.
    Now the dealer is being inflexible and telling me I missed out on the cash. Does anyone know if there are any new cash incentives/programs on the 2009s? Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • wonderfullwonderfull Member Posts: 15
    I recall seeing an email listing $1,500/$2,500/(3,500/4,500 on specific 09 models.
    If you can locate it or the specifics that would be great. Thanks.
  • alejpalejp Member Posts: 2
    Don't budge. The marketing incentive is extended this month as far as I know. A sales rep just called me this morning to convince me again with his offer the other day for a 4,320 mileage demo 328i with Sports pckg which I thought was ridiculous.
    Are you sure about that? It isn't on BMW's website and the dealer told me it was gone.
  • akjuakju Member Posts: 6
    HI, guys
    I am new to here and hope to get some suggestions.
    Today I got a email from a dealer and he offer me this:

2009 Black Sapphire BMW 335i
    Loaded with Sport Package, Sunroof, Steptronic, Sat Radio, IPOD, Bluetooth

MSRP: $46,920
    Sale Price: $38,445
    Savings: $8475!

is this a deal or not? can I still negotiate with him? thanks!
    Akju,

It depends on how many miles, and condition. Last Saturday, I got the following:

2009 black sapphire BMW 335i, saddle brown interior, excellent condition, 6300 miles
    Options: Sport, premium, xeon w/ adaptive headlights, comfort access, steptronic, sat radio, Ipod, bluetooth, fold-down rear seats

MSRP: 50,620
    Price before tax, license, etc: 37,995
    Price after tax, license, regis, 2,500 rebate toward down payment, and before interest: $39,800

I think I stole that car for that price.... Use this as a good example for your shopping. I think the finance manager made a mistake on the rebate,... I'm not sure if I was supposed to get $2,500 on a 2009 335i. The BMW website listed that rebate for the 2010 model, and 1,500 for the 328i.

Does anyone know how much the rebate was supposed to be for a 2009 335i?
    HBlatt1,

Are you saying that the rebate for a 2009 335i is in fact $2,500, and not $1,500?

When I bought my 2009 335i last saturday, the finance manager made it look like a "mistake" in my favor when he added a $1,000 to the downpayment to make it $2,500! He was trying to sell me the 2 year extension on the maintenance, and I kept refusing. I felt so good after, thinking I got an extra grand.... but then I'm finding out I was supposed to get $2,500 after all!

I did get 3.9%, even though the bmw website stated 4.9% for 2010 335i .... not sure if this means for 2009 335i also? Who knows?
    Akju,

I forgot to add: Check www.kbb.com for blue book value. Price it as a used car even if sold as new. Add miles and as may options as possibe. If price is below "private party value", that's a good price.
    Lowballer7, it is my understanding that the cash on the 09 335's was $2500, that is what the dealer told me. However, he is now telling me that the $2500 cash is no longer available on 09s or 2010s.
    hblatt1,

Thanks for the confirmation! My dealer made it sound like they were giving me a "special deal"... they were just playing games, but I still got a great deal.

Even though the holiday sales event ended on 1/4 (and rebates), the BMW website lists lower financing rates for most models.... 2.9% instead of 3.9%. Not sure if the rebate offer will come back until next holiday season...
    lowballer7,

Thanks a lot for your nice suggestion. I will call the dealer to ask for details!

btw, so you actually paid $39800 finally, right? or you just only paid $39800-$2500? I am a little confused about the rebate.
  • bobp7bobp7 Member Posts: 41
    The best suprise of the entire sales process was how pleasant it was working with the dealer. I had expected the ususal battle but starting discussions a couple months before lease expiration helped ease the transition. Dealer was Ray Catena Westchester BMW in White Plains, NY. Everybody was helpful from the salesman to the sales manager to the general manager at any given time during the process.
    The deal was part of the Nov/Dec incentive. BMW must have had a very strong finish to 2009 if the level of activity was similar at other dealerships.
  • bunker108bunker108 Member Posts: 7
    Hello...I really like the 3 series and am looking at getting one. I want one of the following:

328i Wagon w/steptronic, M-package and Metallic paint
    or
    335i w/steptronic, M-package and Metallic paint

It seems that either car with those options will have to be ordered. Do I still have room to negotiate when ordering in a car? Are these cars really going around invoice?
  • justchillin27justchillin27 Member Posts: 10
    is a 06 325i with 62k mileage for $16000 a good buy? or do i expect problems with the car? im afraid that i may shoulder the blows of repairs..btw this is my first BMW hope u guys can help me out.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    WOW! That's a fantastic deal on a sick car (except its an automatic). Congratulations!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    YOU should have the car inspected by an independent mechanic who specializes in BMWs. Does the vehicle have a service history? Has BMWs Inspection II (Major service) been completed?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sksnsksn Member Posts: 4
    I signed a contract with a so.cal dealer last week under a 60 mo finance term. and they called over the weekend that i do not qualify for the finance "due to my status in U.S". they were trying to talk me into another finance term much shorter than the original one but i refused and told them I do not want the car.

i found out yesterday that they cashed my down payment AFTER i said i do not want the deal. I called them and was told it would take them "2 weeks to process a return for me". Is that even legal?

This dealership is very shady, when i was there to sign the contract, they gave me a contract for lease instead of purchase. afterwards i found out the numbers are diff. from what the salesperson originally promised me. the salesperson is very unprofessional and was yelling at me for not taking their car despite their hard work. i would not recommend it to anyone. stay away from this dealership in glendale!!!!!
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    You can deal on a special order. $500 over invoice is a very good deal. $1500 over invoice is about the most to pay, as most dealers would take that deal. European delivery can often save you more.
    I have been reading in here so long I had to post my deal.Last nite I got 2009 328i ,prem package and more msrp 40,500 for 32,600.Thanks for everyone who posts. 7,800 off no special finance
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Congratulation on the new ride and great price. What region and which dealership?
  • justchillin27justchillin27 Member Posts: 10
    yup it does.. but ima go with the 05 325ci coupe instead! same prize but with only 30k on it.. heard it was a pretty reliable. as i noticed a lot of complaints about the 06 being a problem with its parts breaking down..im young and want a reliable car so ima go with the 05. tnx!
    Congratulations on your nice deal!

how did you contact with dealer? by email, or phone, or go to the dealership?
    I first went to one dealer,drove car.Then i sent out emails.I gave the salesman my number and he said hed call when he had a new incentive.He did. 3500 off 2009 + 1250 tranmission.I did the rest by phone.They tried to deny the credit when asked but when i said what about the 3500 the said okay.went to huntington park..nick alexanders...right now irvine is excellant too.
    3500 off 2009 + 1250 transmission

Can you elaborate what is the 1250 transmission? I can't seem to find that incentive on Edmunds. Thanks.
  • doanmquangdoanmquang Member Posts: 34
    It is to credit for Automatic Transmission.
    Thanks. So, this incentive does not apply to manual, then. :(
  • muathusanjosemuathusanjose Member Posts: 11
    Hi , I'm new here, I need some input
    I want BMW 328 standard, MSRP is ~36K,
    How much should I offer ??
  • sasha12sasha12 Member Posts: 11
    Hey. I'm assuming San Jose, CA? I bought mine in Roseville recently. Was working with dealers in Concord, Roseville and Sacramento via email.

I got a 2010 328i auto, prem, sports, xenon, heated seats, for invoice (39.2K). That doesn't include taxes. I also got the 1500 rebate for financing with BMW (3.9%).

After coming on this forum AFTER I bought I'm kicking myself because I think you can get one for BELOW invoice. People are not lining up to buy cars no matter what the dealerships say.

I would email all the dealers I mentioned above, ask which one can start with invoice and then ask which one can beat it.

Another side note: After I got mine from Roseville, dealer in Concord emailed me and told me I should have gone with him as he was going to offer me "8,000" off MSRP. I think he was just upset that I didn't do business with him.

START WITH INVOICE.

Good luck.
    How do I know their invoice ?? Do they let you know
    You can check www.truecar.com
    Thank you, look like it's kind a more expensive than the Lexus IS250.
    I'm still need to decide 328i or IS250
    Of course BMW is more expensive since you already paid for the maintenance service in advance for 4 years or 50,000 miles.
    I decided on a BMW before getting quotes from dealers.
    This way I eliminated comparing quotes across brands.

G
    Even though I had a quote from a dealer 60 miles away for $250 less, I went with the local dealer for the following reasons:
    - The local sales guy spent several hours with me and I wanted him to get the deal
    - My opportunity cost of spending 3 hours to pick up the car and drive
    - Persistence of sales guy
    G
  • goatee9goatee9 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a new 2009 335 convertible
    MSRP $60,450 with selling price of $ 51,180
    OTD about $56,455
    I got an offer for 2009 328i for $37,000

MSRP: 44,125
    Premium Package
    Steptronic Automatic Transmission
    XENON ADAPTIVE
    HIGH-DEFINITION RADIO
    HEATED FRONT SEATS
    SPLIT-FOLDING REAR SEATS W/SKI BAG
    COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM
    DVD-BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM

I wonder what is the best bargain I can get it for?
  • bmwincabmwinca Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

I am approaching the end of my lease on a 2007 328i and am considering my post-lease options. I am currently leaning toward not purchasing my car because I am wary of the maintenance costs after the initial 4 year period during which these costs are covered. I do like my car, however, and my top choice would be to extend my lease by a year if possible. I saw at least one post on this message board in which someone in a similar position received a monthly payment quote for a one year lease extension that was more than double their initial lease rate. I am not sure if this is typical and wanted to get broader input on how feasible it is to work with BMW to have a reasonable rate for a lease extension. Intuitively, it would seem that the rate should be lower, since I would be leasing a used car, but there may be other factors to consider.

Regarding some specifics on my car, I opted for 15 K miles per year (45 K total over the lease period), but have only driven ~29 K miles and so will be well under the limit. Additionally, my residual was in the standard range (~59% I believe).

My primary questions are:

- Is it common for BMW lessees (or any for that matter) to extend their lease beyond the initial 3 year period?

- Is there an optimal strategy for approaching BMW regarding this option? Would I have better luck working with BMW financial services or a dealer?

- Are there tips for negotiating for optimal terms on a lease extension?

- Regardless of what I decide, I presume that I will need to go through typical lease end processes (e.g. inspection of the car). Do people have pointers on how to navigate this effectively? I have been told that BMW sometimes considers tires with what they determine to be insufficient tread to not represent normal wear and tear. This seems like it could be a fairly subjective and potentially expensive assessment.

Thanks very much for your help. Let me know if this is not in the right thread - I can re-post to the appropriate place.
  • lindawalindawa Member Posts: 23
    I was wondering if anyone know what the money factor is on a 2010 328i for 3years/10k miles. I would appreciate any info....thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lindawalindawa Member Posts: 23
    I can't seem to find information on what the current MF is for 2010 on a 328i sedan. I am about to lease and don't want to get ripped off. From reading the posts i understand that $500 over invoice is where i should start on price. What should be the doc fees and acq fees in california? I would appreciate any help or advise. Would BMWFS give me this info? Thanks....

Linda
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    lindawa...

Try posting the lease questions in the discussion that I linked in the post above yours...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mrbimmer1mrbimmer1 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a 2009 328i last Saturday from VOB Rockville Maryland. It had 8 miles on the odometer. Mfg date was 5/12/09.

VOB was the only local dealer that had a sparsely optioned car I wanted. The other dealers had mostly loaded cars that I really don't needed.

MSRP $36,800. Out of door: $29,870 + tax only, Plus a $95 tag transfer fee which they said is for the state for registration and license transfer.
    No doc/processing/advertisement/training fees!

Base price 33600
    Titanium Silver 550
    Automatic 1325
    Heated front seats 500
    Dest. charge 825
    MSRP: 36,800

Not much negotiation needed. The internet price quote was $30260. I asked the sales lady to beat the Edmunds TMV ($29,460). She came back with $29,870 and I thought it was reasonable. Went there and the car was ready for me to test drive. Completed the transaction in one hour! No add-on fees. She had someone installed the carpets for free, which I was not sure if they were included in standard BMW car sales.

Overall, I am pleased with the hassle free transaction. I am just starting to explore the car. So far so good, except that the front seats are too narrow. I also missed the build in garage opening from my old Benz coupe. But I really should not compliant anything about a BMW for under $30k! It drives WELL!
  • rick11rick11 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me the best place to get info on Dealer Invoice on a 2010 335i?

Specifically, how can I be sure the invoice is actually the true invoice (and not something produced by a dealer to look like an invoice and then passed around online)?

Also, where can I get the latest (trustworthy) info on the dealer's rebate?

Is it possible to get info on the buyback the dealer gets from BMW at the end of the year for each car it sells?

Finally, are there any changes/additions to this info I should be aware of if I am ordering the car with ED (European Delivery)?

Thank you very much for any help. Please note who you are and how you know the information.