Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• whatever123whatever123 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Thanks your response, I appreciate it. I do realize the maintenance on European cars is expensive, the question is by how much? As an example, I spend about$35 for an oil on a Japanese car every 5K. Now if on a BMW an oil change is at 10K or so and it costs $80-$100 then this is acceptable cost of doing business for having a luxury vehicle. However, if the oil change is $500 then that is not acceptable. I hope this makes some sense. I am using oil change simply as example.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited February 2010
    Check a trusted independant shop for oil change prices. You get into money for brake flushes and filter changes. Repairs cand be costly but some folks never have issues with that. Check on brakes. The oil changes are at 10k mile intervals but the recommended services -- checks of systems add more. Also call a dealer for prices. I know you want that used bmw but just test drive the gti. All reviews are excellent. There are over 35 technical service bulletins for your bmw. Lots of electrical stuff. Roll the dice !! ;)
  • whatever123whatever123 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much. I will stay away from a BMW in this case. Any thoughts on a Passat?
    The gti and jetta are more in line with the size of the 3 series. The passat is larger and is discontinued after 2010. The jettas are nicely equipped for low 20's new and the passat's 2-3k more. Have you looked over the honda fit? If you really want to save money check out the hyundai elantra touring. Well under 20k brand new and fun to drive.
  • jimbo30jimbo30 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    I leased a 328i with premium package only. MSRP was $38,050(?).

I paid $2,000 drive off. I pay $440 per month before taxes. 15K/yr. How did I do?
  • mrbimmer1mrbimmer1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 328i from VOB BMW in Rockville , Maryland. Sorry that I haven't checked this forum for awhile and did not see your post. So far, the car drives great especially in Sports mode. Not sure how many 2009 still left. But you can check on their inventory on line. Just search on google for the dealer's website. Good luck.
  • mrbimmer1mrbimmer1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 2009 328i with Auto, heated seat, silver metallic paint. MSRP was $36,800. Price paid was $29,830 plus tax and license. Dealer was VOB BMW in Rockville, Maryland. Good luck.
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2010
    I am a firm believer that you get the best deals at the end of a month. I e-mailed five dealers in northern New Jersey and attached a 328xi that I built online and asked for quotes on same car. The car I built had Nav, sat & prem package..I gave them all the same payment requirements: $4,000 down (inlcuding eveything, first payment, taxes, fees, etc) and then ask for a monthly payment based on 15k a year. The range was anywhere from $500.00 to $550.00 a month (incl. taxes). I asked each for their lowest price and I never would reveal what the other dealers quoted me/ All I wanted was one price, not a negotation. The dealer I ended up with this a car from a dealer in Tenafly, New Jersey ( :) salesman Hugo) I got the car with more options (heated seats, met paint & alarm MSRP around $43,,240.00) for less than the other four dealers that were quoting me for a lesser car. (which included the $1,000 rebate which ended today). The problem is without the continuation of the rebate, the monthly lease will be much higher. I guess we will see what the promotion is tomorrow, I am just glad to have the car now.

Tenafly also seemed to have the largest inventory of the cars and options we wanted. I hate buying cars and I am very happy it is over but the people at tenafly were nice to deal with and not arrogant like other dealers that we encountered.

If you buy a car in North Jersey, go to Tenafly last after you do your homework and know your numbers, I think you will be happy with them.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    edited March 2010
    The BMW web site shows an April "Spring" credit of $2,500.00 applicable to leases on the 3 series until the end of the month.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • nova1967nova1967 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all. New to this forum. I have been shopping around for 36month/12,000 mile leases on the 2010 328xi coupes in Northern/Bergen County, NJ for the last few weeks. I am wondering if I am in the ballpark for a good deal? The best deal I have been offered so far is as follows:
    2010 328xi Coupe - includes cold weather package, premium package, steptronic automatic transmission, sports leather steering wheel, ipod and USB adapter, satellite radio w 1 yr subscription and $825 destination charge. (Note: Does not include the sport package)

MSRP - $45,950
    Selling Price - $40,915
    Rebate - $2,500
    57% residual value
    .00150 money factor

$1,550 down made up of $354 reg, $6 tire fee, $600 sec deposit and first month payment of $590)

I was quoted at $590 per month including 7% NJ sales tax. The $590 payment also includes $239 in doc fees and the $725 bank fee. (Without the security deposit, the deal would be for $601 per month).

They are also paying my end of lease fee of $395 for my Nissan lease which is ending next week.

Was wondering if this a good deal? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
    Sounds like a good deal. The most "aggressive" dealers that I found were Tenafly BMW and Wide World in Spring Valley. Tenafly has a greater selection of cars in stock in my opinion. FYI, most dealers will give you a loaner even if you didn't buy the car there.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    My family has leased 5 BMWs from Wide World & above everything else, their service department is absolutely amazing

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    How about putting in MSD (Multiple Security Deposit) to lower your lease rate?
  • nautical3nautical3 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what the March money factor is for a 2010 328i sedan for a 10K lease?

Thanks
    I have an offer on the table from a dealer in Northern NJ for a 36month/12,000 mile lease on the 2010 328xi coupe. The deal is as follows:
    2010 328xi Coupe - includes cold weather package, sport package, navigation system, premium package, steptronic automatic transmission, sports leather steering wheel, ipod and USB adapter, satellite radio w 1 yr subscription and $825 destination charge.

MSRP - $49,300
    Invoice Price - $45,847
    Rebate - $2,500
    57% residual value
    .00150 money factor

$2,595 down made up of $326 reg, $349 doc fee, $875 bank fee, $600 sec deposit, first month payment of $579, misc(lux tax, tire fee) of $261 and $395 credit for paying my Nissan end of lease fee)

I was quoted at $579 per month including 7% NJ sales tax.

Was wondering if this a good deal? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
    If your payment is close to 1% before taxes - cap cost -fees then you have a decent deal.The rebate counts since it isn't coming out of your pocket. Do the math and see how close you come. I have the point at 493. Below is awsome up to 1.1 [542] is decent considering the current leasing environment.
    Thanks for the reply, but not quite sure I am following you. Are you saying you made the calculation based the numbers I posted for my deal and you have it at 493 and I am getting a good deal. If that is the case, not quite sure how you got to that number. You mention if my payment is close to 1% before taxes. 1% of what number? The MSRP?
    1% of msrp -- sorry. Kind of a guide to assess any lease.
    Got it. My payment comes out to 538 (1.09%) before taxes - cap cost and fees so it looks like I did okay. Thanks for the help.
    No reason not to pull the trigger ! Good luck.
  • acsel201acsel201 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Hello,

Is this a good deal I got so far?

I'm in the middle of negotiating the following lease deal:

Model: 2010 328xi Coupe w/ sport package ($850), heated front seats ($500), BMW Assist ($750), Ipod Adapter ($400), Monaco Blue Metallic ($550)
    MSRP: $41,525

Lease Terms:
    Time: 3 years
    Negotiated Sales Price: $36,191
    Down payment: $2,995
    Residual Value: $24,084
    Monthly Payment: $339 (includes finance charges)
    Money Factor: 0015 or 3.6% APR
    Miles: 10k/yr
    Total Money Spent during life of lease: (including finance charges but excluding taxes, acquisition fee, doc fee, and registration fee, security deposit) $15,199

Money due at sign: ($5,928.11)
    Down payment: $2,995
    Acquisition fee: (not included in MSRP) $725
    Doc Fee: (not included in MSRP) $349
    Registration Fee: (not included in MSRP) $320
    Security Deposit: $400
    Sales Tax: (on both down payment and all monthly payments and fees) $1,139.11

Questions:

1) Is acquisition fee included in the MSRP on truecar.com?
    2) The way I'm looking at it, if I were to buy the car at the end of the lease for the residual of $24,084 and having paid $15,199 during life of lease, the total spent (w/ finance charges) would be $39,283. Truecar.com has the average selling price of this car as $38,964. So I pay $319 more than the average selling price based on Truecar.com inclusive of finance charges. Given the state of the economy, in my mind an APR of 3.6% is too high so I think an aggressive negotiator like myself can get the sales price down even more. Should I negotiate down the average price more to get my monthly payment down to $320? I ask this because his initial offer was $357/month and my bid was $320/month. He wouldn't budge and stated that $357/month was his best offer. I went back to him and told him to drop the sales price so we can meet in the middle of my bid and his offer which would be $339/month. He came back very quickly stating $339/month works which tells me $357/month was still likely a good deal for him. So should I go back to him to call me when the offer is $320/month?
    3) Or is this a great deal already?

Thank you very much in advance.
  • andrewl570andrewl570 Member Posts: 4
    quoted 564 a month on a 38,100 msrp 328i with premium package and nothing down.

quoted 541 a month on a 36,600 msrp 328i with nothing and nothing down.

where am i going wrong?
  • gurmgurm Member Posts: 27
    Interesting talks here. I am looking at a 2010 328 xi to buy, with premimum package & navigation. Could some body suggest what would be the best offer to start with & what should I expect before the dealer stops answering??
    Also, I also looked at Infiniti G37x and Audi 2.0T both fully loaded, both drove nice. Finally between G37 and 328, just that 328 is more responsive and faster than it looks And G37X is faster and more plush interior/electronics. I would like to keep my new car for 5+ years. How do you guys rate the relability of Infiniti esp G37 to these German automakers & also to Acura or Lexus??? I have done my research but would like to know how you guys feel b'cos you apparently are buying one or bought one. Looking forward to hear from you guys.
    Thanks in advance, Cheers..!
  • gregzogregzo Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my new 2010 328xi in Feb before the $2500 rebate. I had to put $1000 down to order the car. My car should be ready the last week of March. My question is.. Do i get the rebate or does the dealer get to keep it??

My lease details: 2010 328xi, Nav, Premium, Xenon, Comfort, auto, heated steering wheel.

MSRP $44215
    $1976.81 due at signing
    $550/mo including MA tax (6.25%)
    12k/yr for 36 months.
  • g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    So I went to the dealer to negotiate a deal, let me know what you guys think.

MSRP $50,325 (Invoice $46,300)
    $2,500 customer cash for March.
    They offered;
    $44,546 cap cost
    .00145 money factor
    52% residual because I need 18k miles a year. (seems kind of low. 15k is 55%)
    Monthly payment $613 (including 6% tax)

Inceptions;
    $725 Aqu. fee
    $599 dealer fee
    $500 tag (approximately)
    $700 security deposit to lower money factor to .00145
    $613 First month payment

I walked away because I feel they can do better. I think I should be able to get the cap cost to $44,000.

Is it a good idea to give the $700 security deposit to lower the money factor?

Lastly, they said the residual dropped to 52% from 55% because I need 18k miles per year. That's a big drop and doesn't seem right but I don't really know. What do you guys think?
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Unless my math is all wrong - and there is the possibility that it could be - the $546 you want the cap cost reduced by will lower your monthly payment over 36 months by $15/mo.

The reduced residual seems right - the more miles you put on the car, the less it will be worth at the end of the lease term.
    Take the tax and all inception fees out of the equation. What is the payment? How close is it to 1% of the msrp of $50325 [503] ? 1% is a decent deal for 12kmiles. If you come in at 1.1 or 1.2% for 18k miles, you have a decent deal in these days of bad leases.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2010
    I went through the same research and after about 2 months of evaluation, I eventually bought a new Infiniti G37x last September. It's a wonderful car and I smile every time I get in and drive it. Although it doesn't quite handle as well as the 328ix that I compared it to, the overall comfort, power and value put the Infiniti over the top. Don't get me wrong, I believe the BMW is also a fantastic car. So much so that I'm now shopping for a 2010 328ix for my wife. She loves them and, of course, wants something different than what I drive. I'll have the perfect situation - two great cars in my garage that I'll be able to drive. As far as the reliability factor. History and many web forums will show that the Infiniti should be better than the BMW. I've owned a number of Japaneze cars and have never had an issue with any of them. People tell me that the German cars are a crapshoot when it comes to reliability.
    Thanks man, I have heard people talking about Infiniti having some transmision lag, I didn't feel anything like that but felt a little hesitation in lower gears. Do you feel anything like that? how would you rate rear seat comfort on long trips? Also I found reaching for seat controls was tough once you are in the car and the door is closed, do you think the same? That might not be a big issue once you have the memories set up. I think the 328xi has real tight rear seats and it felt smaller too esp b'cos of ridiculously designed dashboard/interior in the car. What about the gas mileage, what are you getting in city or in mixed driving?
  • ccappaccappa Member Posts: 29
    Edmunds is showing two incentives for 2010 328xi sedan. The $2500 "Spring Drive Credit" and an $1840 All Wheel Drive Credit.

BMW's website only lists the $2500 Spring Drive Credit, no mention of the All Wheel Drive Credit. The dealer I've have contacted by e-mail also only mentioned the Spring Drive Credit.

Is there something I'm missing, or is there in error in the Edmunds listing?

Thanks
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Lol...I was just about to ask the same question. Also, if it can be combined, does that mean I should ask for invoice minus $4340 ($2500+1840)? The vehicle I am looking at has MSRP of $43,550 and invoice is about $40k. So 40k-$4340=$35,660??
    My car has no tranny lag. In fact, it's the most responsive and smooth shifting automatic transmission I've experienced. I really can't give you an honest opinion on the rear seat comfort because I've only had passengers there once for a trip of less than 40 miles. There were no complaints but many compliments. I'm not sure if I'd want to be in the rear seat of the G37 or 328i for a long trip. Neither have a whole lot of leg or elbow room, and I'm not a big guy. I've had no issues with the power seat control access. After getting the driver's seat and steering wheel fine tuned during the first 3 or 4 drives, I haven't had to touch it again. A great feature of the G37 is the dash gauge cluster adjusts simultaneously with the steering wheel so the gauges are always in perfect view. The front seats of the G37 are more comfortable and supportive than the standard 328i seats IMHO. When the weather was warmer, I was getting 25 or 26 mpg highway and around 21 mpg in mixed driving. The extreme cold of our Midwest winter knocks it down a couple of mpg. I love that great Infiniti engine growl at start up and acceleration.
    Edmund's is wrong. The $1840 All Wheel Drive Credit applies to 2011 models only. The $2500 Spring Drive Credit applies to 2010 models only.
  • skyfatherskyfather Member Posts: 2
    On BMW's 328i "build your own" tool, package recommender says for $450 more you can get complete premium package after I added bluetooth. But, value package includes free leather so the msrp difference was actually $1900. Is this correct? What happened to the free leather?
  • skyfatherskyfather Member Posts: 2
    Is the gross cap cost 36,471.58?

38050 msrp
    3500 down
    2500 spring rebate
    30471.58 net cap cost

58% residual (3yrs at 10k/yr)
    .0022 mf

cash due before taxes & govt fees:
    350 sec dep
    725 acquisition fee
    3500 down
    4924 total
    I am looking at new 2010 328 XI, fully loaded with premium package, navigation, sports package etc etc. I am told the MSRP of about 46k and final selling price of around 44.5k. Is that reasonable, I see people talking here about lease only, could somebody give an idea what I should be expecting or asking the sales guys? Also I am deciding if I should finance or pasy cash, paying cash means no 2500 spring credit. I am also seriously considering G37X but like to see what you guys think of selling price of BMW. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers...!
    edited March 2010
    Without seeing your full option list I'll have to guess that with an MSRP of around $46K, invoice on that car would be in the $42,300 range. I just completed a deal on a new 2010 328ix myself and based on what I know, the offered selling price from your dealer is too high. I would guess you could realistically expect to buy that car for around $41K plus tax, title and license fees if you take advantage of the $2500 Spring Drive Credit. To do that, you must finance a minimum amount through BMW. It's worth doing this instead of paying cash because you get the $2500 credit plus a great 0.9% finance rate for 24 months. I'd use their money at that low rate any day.
    That's a good deal, where did you buy your car from, I am in pacific northwest. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2010
    Hi,

It looks like you're suggesting that the car can be had for $1,500 below invoice. Do I read that right? I spoke to a GM at Herb Chambers BMW in Sudbury, MA this morning. I have an '07 335xi with barely 27,000 miles. I'm interested in replacing the car with a newer version as the 4 year no-cost warranty will expire next August and BMW is offering the $2500 bonus and the dealer needs pre-owned vehicles in good shape so the trade-in value may be higher than otherwise. I have a couple of questions:

He has told me in writing that I can pay $750 over invoice on any car. Is this a reasonable deal?

The car I want will have Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Park Distance Control, Satellite Radio, Metallic Paint and the Logic 7 stereo. He knows I'm interested in the 3-series.

The problem is that the factory is not accepting new 2010 build orders so I will have to find a car already built or in the build process. The incentives are not available for 2011 and the prices apparently are going up.

Next question: Which engine is going into the 2010 335xi? Is it the Twin Turbo N54 that came in the '07 or the TwinPower turbo in the N55? The GM told me the new Dual Scroll single turbo is going only into the 5 series, but all I've read says that it will go into the 2010 and 2011.

It's hard to sort the gospel from the BS.

What advice can this august audience offer?

Thanks.

xeye
    Yes, you should be able to get an in stock 2010 3 series sedan for $1500 below invoice after figuring in the $2500 Spring Drive Credit. That is basically allowing a $1000 profit to the dealer, less any advertising fees he incures from BMW. The $750 over invoice deal your dealer is offering is more than fair as long as that is before figuring in the $2500 credit.
  • tdrivetdrive Member Posts: 1
    What would be a fair price to buy 2010 in stock 328xi auto trans? Destination included but before Taxes and Title. I have an offer for 36,000 in the DC area.
    edited March 2010
    If the only option on the car is automatic transmission and it's a jet black or alpine white color, you should be able to buy for $33,000 plus tax, title and doc fee. Add $500 for any metallic color. This price includes the $2500 rebate and requires you to finance through BMW.
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    Can't find it anywhere else about it, anybody has the link on that?
    not 100% but kinda odd if it's for 2011, BMW gives out incentive to clear the inventory on cars already on the lot (not incoming models).
    My dealer searched for the configuration I was looking for but couldn't find one so configured in the 2010 model (Sedan w/Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Parking Sensors, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 Stereo, Oyster Leather, Platinum Bronze Metallic). We talked about a new 2011 with the same $750 profit after factoring in the $1840 AWD factory incentive (good through April 30th). He said he would take the $1840 off the invoice price (not MSRP), then add back the $750, effectively selling me a vehicle under invoice price.

It sounds like a good deal. The problem is that I can't configure a 2011 on the BMWUSA.com site yet. Does anyone know when that is supposed to be available? Considering he said that I could have the car built and in my driveway by the end of April, I'd expect to be able to configure it by now.
    Agreed. This is the information I have as well. In addition, the 0.9% for 24 months and 3.9% for 60 months only applies, so far, to 2010 models.

What are the price increases, if any, for the 2011 model year for the 335xi coupe and sedan?
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    I seem pitted towards a situation of not being able to negotiate at all because of the simplistic requirement of a manual shift has turned into..... An item of bizarre exclusivity with BMW!

What happened to the manual shift? Have I been gone that long from BMW's? I'm looking for a 335i in a manual and the dealerships all around me have a paultry selection. The salesman furrows his brow and says "Whew, that's a toughie!!" Add the situation that I'm trying to get a convertible with a manual and all hope is lost. Dealerships for about a one-hundred mile radius around me just drop off a cliff in regards to in-stock. I'm not particular, just want a manual convertible in anything but red.

I'm around York, Pa and dealing with the local dealership there (Apple BMW) is impossible (they're hopelessly trapped in the sixties) and refuse to negotiate, especially when you start getting particular....
  • g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    I'm having to same problem locating a 335i coupe in manual. I pretty much have to order it. I did find one in stock, about 80 miles from where I live, and they're not budging in price.
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    "I pretty much have to order it."

Yep, the one manual/convertible 335i I came across was..... You guessed it, RED!

One dealership had ample convertibles in stock but they were of course, all automatic. If I'm going to order one - I'm going to Germany to pick it up. Might as well get a vacation out of it.

Was there somebody in California (broker) that specialized in European Delivery? I thought I read that somewhere. He hooked you up for a modest fee and you bypassed the whole "plaid-jacket" car salesman headache.....

Somebody else told me to avoid it because California applied one of their wacky taxes because the broker was technically making a sale inside the state.
  • runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    I too found it challenging to find a manual 335i, and had to settle for the 4-door over the 2-door. It seems as if manuals are a dying breed... interesting, as to get the true experience of a 335i, a manual with sport would be about all you would want. The other extras would just add more weight....
    Go to cars.com and search for a 6spd 335i I found quite a few nationally. So what if you have to fly in and drive it home -- the coupe/convertible you want is out there. You can also have it shipped. Get what you want when you are spending $40k plus. Happy hunting.