Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• topperheadontopperheadon Member Posts: 13
    Picked up a 2010 328 xi coupe with premium, nav, sat radio, heated seats, moonroof, ipod and usb, etc for $6,800 under list.
  • utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    I'm interested in this 2007 328i coupe. It has a Monaco Blue Metallic exterior with Saddle Brown leather interior. 57,900 miles. Here are the extra packages and options.

Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Comfort Access System
    Heated Front Seats
    Active Cruise Control
    Metallic Paint
    Dakota Leather Seat Trim
    6-speed Steptronic Automatic Transmission

It's not CPO but the VIN check shows only one owner and its in excellent condition. Dealer is asking $23,500. How low do you think I can negotiate without offending them?
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    58k miles is pretty high for a 2007. Since it has run out of the original warranty, I wouldn't touch it without CPO. If you don't mind the high mileage, instead of trying to negotiate down the price, ask the dealer (assuming it is a BMW dealer) to CPO it. That will give you another 2.5 to 3 years (depending on in-service date) and 42k miles of warranty.
  • zisince32zisince32 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

I am picking up my 2010 328i sedan tomorrow afternoon. The dealer offer to extend the complete maintenance and warranty for 2 additional years (6 yrs total) and up to 100k miles for $2K. Is this a good price? BMW gurus please advice.

Thanks,

John
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you will drive 100k miles in 6 years then it might be worth considering.
  • utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks jtla,
    I consulted with my friend who owns a BMW and he said the exact same thing you did. It's not being sold by a BMW dealer so I wont be able to get it CPO. I think I should be looking at CPO exclusively.
  • stewdystewdy Member Posts: 17
    Just wondering what might be a reasonable offer for a leftover new 2009 335d.

Sticker is $55,975 and the listed internet price is $45,975. I can get $8,000 off of a new 2010 via USAA (and I could probably get that much off just walking into the dealer on my own when the $4,500 eco credit is taken into account) so $10K seems a little on the low side. I know that folks were getting in the $8-10K range off last year when they were really trying to get rid of the '09's. Any thoughts? 12K? 14K?

Thanks!
  • seekingaudia4seekingaudia4 Member Posts: 66
    2010 is the first year for the 335d.
  • foreveruiforeverui Member Posts: 4
    It's a good price. I just come back from a dealer, just give me a price with invoice + 2000.
    Ok, I guess the salesman did not tell the truth.

Without USAA, what do you think is the attainable discount for a 2010 335d? $6500? $7000?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    edited April 2010
    For $2K, it's likely they are extending the warranty or the maintenance, but not both..

I hope they are... but, that would be substantially below dealer cost for both plans, together.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I have to think that $7000 is doable on a 2010 when you factor in the eco credit just walking into a dealership... They're stuck at $10K, but I haven't made an official offer yet, so I'm not sure if they'd come down any further or not.
  • jerryd310jerryd310 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a member of a buying group that gets an automatic discount up front on a 335i and 335xi of 3% off MSRP. This doesn't count any factory incentives or credits. Is there a better deal to be had?
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    I just ordered a 2011 335i xDrive: Tasman Green Metallic, Oyster and Black Dakota Leather, Premium, Sport and Cold Weather packages, Harman Kardon Surround, Satellite Radio and Front/Rear Park Distance Control, and All Weather Rubber Floor Mats ($100, not $90 per Edmunds.com). The Heated Steering Wheel is included N/C.

All calculations were done based on invoice price, not MSRP. I got the $1,840 Option Credit for the AWD and agreed to give the dealer $750 profit.

The Net Cost was $46,375 before tax, fees & trade-in on my '07 335xi. The Trade-in value was almost exactly what KBB and Edmunds.com quoted.

If I did the math correctly for the 2011 model year, the 3% off MSRP would have been about $500 more, even with the Options Credit. The general recommendation is never to start from MSRP and negotiate down. The dealer has you by the cohones right from the get go with this approach. I suggest that you decide what you can live with as far as a fair mark-up over invoice for the dealer and go from there.

I didn't remember whether I had dealt with the devil (aka the F&I guy at the dealership) when I ordered my '07, but I went in already decided that I was not going to buy an assortment of extended warranties, wheel protections, etc. This is where the dealership really makes the profit. I had bought the wheel warranty on my '07 and my wife's '08 328xi and neither of us has needed it despite slamming into potholes on several occasions (We have the 17" wheels. It may be worth it with 18" wheels, but I doubt it.) I have yet to meet with theF&I guy when my car is delivered some time in mid-May, and my resolve will be the same not to be tempted to select needless items from a laminated menu sheet.

There are a lot of factors that go into agreeing to a price that you can feel good about, even if it means a higher profit for the dealer. It may come back to you later in terms of service where they might not have accommodated your request as easily as otherwise.

Summary: Negotiate up, not down, and you're more likely to be happy. At least that way, you can get a much better grasp of the real numbers.

Hope this helps. I also hope I made the right choices!
    Did you also get the option credit for the auto? That is if yours is an auto.

In talking to my local "Internet Manager", he mentioned several option credits available for 2011 models, have not got down to the details yet. But from a previous post we know for his 335i, he got the option credit for the auto.

I will ask if those "option credits" can be combined or not. I don't mind the xdrive if it is free or heavily discounted.
  • ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
    When mentioning the AWD credit of $ 1840, the sales person drew a blank. I sent him the Edmunds link. Also am being quoted a MF of .0022. The 2010 was reduced to .00170 and there is an auto trans credit of 1000+, but for the 335i, not the 328i. This salesperson leased me my present 2008 335xi lemon at good terms, but am ready to abandon this ordered vehicle if the terms don't improve. What is your money factor and residual, term and annual mileage allowance? Thanks.
    It's odd that the salesperson doesn't know about the $1,840 Option Credit for AWD as my sales guy said it had been around in 2 month chunks all of last year and available through April 30th 2010. My sales guy even went so far as to say that it will likely be extended based on last year's continuity. Either your salesperson is really disconnected or an outright liar trying to pad the profit if you get an xDrive. My guess is the latter as it's easy cash. My dealership was right out front with the credit. That one of the things I like about them.

As for the MF, I buy my cars, and finance where it makes sense, rather than lease them. I had leased Miatas when I I lived in CA in the late 90's and didn't understand the MF when I went into the contract negotiating. I felt I was ripped off and it left a really bad taste, both for Mazda (now Ford, I think) and for leasing in general.

Where are you located? If in the Boston area, I can recommend a good sales guy.
    edited April 2010
    That is the beauty of today's information provided by sites such as Edmunds. Leases used to be for suckers but not anymore. Did you get the free auto tranny? Or maybe there is no option credit for auto for 335xi, only 335i? Also he ordered his 328xi, not like you, so maybe the AWD credit is only for the 335xi, not 328xi.

Now do we know that the MF for the 2010 is down to 0.00170 for the 328xi? Is this true for all 2010 3 series?
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2010
    What I've learned from my client-advisor so far but you definetely want to to confirm this with yours,
    $1840 for x-drive with manual trans (for auto use the $1305) on 335 sedan or coupe
    $1305 for auto trans on 335 sedan or coupe
    $1435 for DCT on 335is only.

All offers can't be combined together (mutual exclusive).

I also learned that cars have to be delivered by June-30th 2010. Not sure if that'll work for me since even if I order my car today it won't be here by that time.

If someone has more info please post it here. Will work with my CA soon or I'll pass on 335xi coupe hoping fo S5 with V6 Super-charge.
    Could be a difference in incentives, as another reader notes a few messages later.
  • cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    Picked up last month. It has Premuim, M Sport, 6 speed stick. Got $5,350 off MSRP plus 2.9% for 60 mos. I had hard requirements for the sport package and stick shift. This was the ONLY one on the lot. Everything else on the lot had a slushbox, otherwise I could have probably gotten an ever better deal by holding out. I'm pretty happy. Bummed I didn't get my BMW CCA $500 rebate since I have not been an member for a full year yet. In case you don't know, go to http://www.bmwcca.org/ and join. Must be a member for a full year to get your rebate, so this requires some advance planning.
  • ssss328ssss328 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the $1840 AWD credit apply to 328xi models? Thanks.
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2010
    No.
    The 2011 328 has so many price breaks already. It includes leather and value package for free. Also the ZPP(premium package) is $700 cheaper compare to that of 335 ZPP.

Boy do I sound like BMW client advisor or what, for pointing out the advantage of 328.
  • martpmartp Member Posts: 1
    A related comparison of 3-series prices in US vs Germany...

http://www.pricewiki.com/blog/
  • carnut66carnut66 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a quote on a 2009 BMW 335i, never titled, 800 miles on it with an in-service date of 11/03/09.
    Options:

Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Ipod USB Adapter
    Titanium Silver w/ Black Dakota
    6-Speed

The dealer is quoting $38,900 - is this is a good deal or do I have more room for negotiation? Any comments are appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • carnut66carnut66 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry-forgot to post the MSRP is $48,025.
    Thanks!
  • smagnetsmagnet Member Posts: 5
    Just received a quote for a new 2010 328i Coupe with the following options:
    1. Premium package
    2. Automatic transmission
    3. Heated seats
    4. Ipod adapter
    5. Space gray

MSRP on truecar.com is 44000, the offer was 40600. Taking into account the 2500 credit plus tax and other expenses, the OTD price is 39600. Is the price reasonable? Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.
  • foreveruiforeverui Member Posts: 4
    your dealer is really nice. I am looking for a 2010 bmw 328i xdirve coupe, the msrp is 45050. the quote price is 43600-2500 = 41100. I gave saleman a 42500-2500 = 40000 offer. He said it is impossible. And I walked away. is my offer reasonable.

I think finanlly 39600 OTD is good price for your coupe. almost invoice. Can you tell me what is the final price you get the coupe in the future? I can negotiate with the dealer. Thanks,
  • ekulkaekulka Member Posts: 1
    I am in Bay area. A dealer is offering me the following deal: for a 328i with premium package, MSRP $39100 for 34800+Fee. This includes the 2500 rebate + 1800 discount. Is this a good deal? Thanks!
    .0022 money factor = a.p.r. of 5.28%. Ridiculous
    Residual of 58% on 36month/ 10K miles/year reflects an attempt to justify a reduction in the resale value of a car with traditionally high resale. The price breaks are meaningless if the imbedded finance charge is double the going rate for competition. You can lease an Audi for less than 1% a.p.r. on the 2010. Since the 2011 328s are identical to the 2010, and they're probably going to change the styling in a year or two, maximum, I don't see this being in great demand. And mileage is poor. One redeeming feature is it's a SULEV, so if carbon footprints mean something, you are being responsible with 70 fewer HP and no twin turbo.

At the present terms, the proposed monthly lease payment on the vehicle I ordered (2011 328xi) is about the same as my nicely equipped 2008 335xi which is being repurchased, about $ 600/mo. in Ca, where the sales tax is 9.75% in LA County. That's unacceptable. The 2011 should cost no more than just above $ 500/mo. and that would occur with a mf of about .0015, or 3.6% a.p.r. Any news on what appear to be zero incentives for this model, or is too early to play hardball and walk from this deal? I need a new car in two weeks, and was looking forward to the one I ordered, but not with these numbers.
    Unfortunately my local dealers seem to have no problem moving the cars. When there is demand, they don't have to lower the numbers.
  • smagnetsmagnet Member Posts: 5
    I have 2 dealers telling me that there is a $380 charge above invoice for all BMWs, and they would not go below that price point. Is that true? Or are they just bs'ing me?

thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    $180 for training fee..

Plus, most dealers have a regional advertising fee on their invoice (MACO).. That can vary between $200-$450, depending on the dealership location..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andysmdandysmd Member Posts: 2
    I was just offered 2010 328 xi with premium/nav/automatic/heated steering wheel/satelite radio lease deal. The dealer will pay the last 4 payments on my lexus is250 which is 495 a month so 1980 total. The price is 39,040, residual 58% and MF .00220. I think that is just about invoice. They want first month, security and plate transfer up front so 1350 or so and then 618/month. It seems like a reasonable deal since if you include the 2,000 in lexus payments we are quite under invoice. I am a relative lease novice so any input much appreciated. I am in metro NYC area. at that price I would also consider buying depending on apr.
    Hi,

Maybe it's just me, but paying over $7,000/year for a car and gain no equity in it, even with depreciation, seems like a waste of money. If the money is coming from a corporate expense account, I could see it, but not as a personal car.

When we bought my wife's 2008 328xi new, we got 0.9% financing from BMW and pay just a bit more per month than your lease would be. Once it is paid off, we will own it and have trade-in value remaining and no monthly nut. You can get that rate now on 2010s, too.

2010 328i xDrive Sedan
    0.9% Annual Percentage Rate Offer. Includes a $2,500 Spring Drive Credit.

Good luck and enjoy either way!
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Leasing makes sense if you get a new car every 3 years and you put nothing down. Most folks don't finance a 40k car for 36 months -- if you go 5 years you still owe a lot at the end of 3 years and trading can be very expensive. If you want a high end car every 3 years, leasing isn't a bad way to go. You are always in warranty as well.
    Leasing is a great way to go if the MF is low. At .0022 it is too high to be worth the lease, even with the $2,500 rebate. Financing will look very good if the rate is as low as 0.9 or 1.9 for up to 60 or even 72 months, but not at 3.9 for 60 months, too slow to pay down the loan.
  • wdm99wdm99 Member Posts: 1
    I have this offer from a dealer for a 2010 335i with the following options:
    M Sport
    Premium
    Nav
    Logic 7

MSRP on the car is $56,225.
    Selling price is $52,225.
    Term 36 Mo / 15K miles / mo
    MF .00145
    Residual $29,273
    Rebate $2,500
    Initial Payment $3,004 (746 first payment, 225 doc fees, 925 bank fees, 302, DMV, 750 Sec deposit, 6 tire tax..)
    monthly payment is $746.05

Is this a good deal? Doesn't feel like it to me.
    One of our local BMW dealers is advertising the above, with $2.5K rebate and $2.5K discount. Can this price be used in a lease? Any room for additional discount?
  • emanuele1emanuele1 Member Posts: 5
    i just lease 2010 328ix with sport package and prem. i putting down only $1360 and i paying $450 month for 36 months. i live in brooklyn ny and the dealer was life quality. the car is a demo and its my 2 bmw so i recieve lease loyality. the car has 3500 miles.
    manny
  • emanuele1emanuele1 Member Posts: 5
    i live in brooklyn, and i am leasing my second bmw. i putting $1360 and the car has 4000 miles. the car comes with prem and sport package. and i only paying $450 a month. the dealer is in brooklyn and the name of the dealer is life quality, and my saleman is super cool and is name is brett. if you life in brooklyn give him a try. i also shop the nissan maxima the s model, and it was more expensive.!!!!!!!!
  • djzhudjzhu Member Posts: 12
    This is the lease I've managed to negotiate. Can someone give me some feedback?

$900 above invoice
    Zero markup on MF and acquisition
    Set of mats (dealer says worth $130).

Thanks.
    There are two quantifiable factors in comparing a lease vs. a purchase:

The car's primary use must be for business; I would generalize and say that the % of business use should be no less than 70%

Depreciation of purchased vehicles under the US income tax system severely limits the annual deduction compared to the amount derived from making lease payments.

The analysis of lease vs. purchase is a question I deal with frequently, but since over 75% of luxury vehicles in So. Cal are leased, one can conclude that it's common knowledge that the after-tax cost of leasing, assuming a typical closed-end lease, results in lower cost than purchasing and depreciating a car. There is some fairly complex math involved in any specific comparison, as you must make an assumption about the future sales price of a purchased vehicle and discount that future value to compare to the cash outflows of a closed-end lease with the residual a non-factor, as the lessee is assumed to surrender the vehicle at end of lease.

If I were comparing a $ 25,000 vehicle not driven for business purposes and therefore not the source of a tax deduction, with a very low a.p.r. purchase vs. a high lease factor, like .022, which equates to 5.28% a.p.r. it would probably result in favor of a purchase. But then, you have to consider the reliabilty beyond the warranty period and the boredom factor of driving a car for a period well beyond a typical lease term.
  • dcnatfandcnatfan Member Posts: 20
    I received the following offer on a 328xi, seems like a good deal but this was his opening offer so I wonder if there is any room for negotiating.

2010 328xi (Space Gray Mettalic)
    Premium
    Steptronic
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Value Package
    Navigation

MSRP is $42,890. Invoice is $40,015.
    Dealer offer was $40,215. Then factor in the $2,500 credit for a price of $37,715 plus tax/tags/title.

What am I missing - why would they open with a price that is only $200 over invoice?

They also offered 2.9% finance for 60 months.

The only thing the car does not have is satellite radio. Can this be added aftermarket?
    Ask the dealer if the car is eligible for the xDrive Option Credit of $1,840. If so, tell the dealer that you want the full credit and see what they say.
  • yxysxhyxysxh Member Posts: 2
    finally got my 2010 335i coupe alpine white/cream beige with the following options:

premium
    sport
    nav
    auto trans
    comfort access
    heated front seats
    ipod and usb adapter
    sirius radio

msrp 53050, invoice is 49030, paid 50800 OTD.

P.S. hating the pollen on my brand new car! @_@
    What is the selling price?
    The price was raised about $ 1000 from similarly equipped 2010 model. I'm being offered $ 500 over invoice, .0022 MF, 36mos. 10,000/yr, 9.75% sales tax, no incentives whatsoever. Minimal drive-off. The incentives are either for the 2010 or other 2011 models which are considerably more expensive. I'm rejecting this deal. The monthly comes to $ 611, which is $ 6 more than the 2008 well-equipped 335xi which is being repurchased (HPFP problems). It comes down to the money factor being too high, as I've harped on for the last several messages.

I guess I need to check out the Audi A-4 or the usual suspects. Infiniti G37?
  • yxysxhyxysxh Member Posts: 2
    price before ttl is 47k