Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maritza2maritza2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi! My lease ends in one month. I like my BMW 328xi 2008. I would like to finance the car through their BMW dealer, but I don't think I will be able to negotiate with them in reducing the residual value($22,478.50), I'm planning to hire Autoadvisor.com for $787 to negotiate a deal for me. Does anyone think this is a good idea or not? Please let me know. I will appreciate any suggestions.
    Thank you
    Maritza
    BMW 328
    44,750miles(lease terms 45,000)
    Residual value $22,478.50
    Gross capitalized cost $35,766.00
    I'm currently paying $471.o3/mo
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    The dealer doesn't set the residual amount. You need to negotiate with the lease-holder.
  • money812money812 Member Posts: 6
    Explain to me how I overpaid? What was the msrp of the 2011 you bought.
  • mikezatmikezat Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2010
    I just leased a new 2011 328i sedan made in S. Africa. The mechanic at the dealership took the included tools out to attach a license plate frame to the bumper. I have a feeling that he pocketed some of the tools. I googled and searched bmwusa.com web site to see what should come with the car but found nothing.
    Can anyone please let me know what came with your new 2011 328i sedan?

Many thanks in advance
    a new 2011 BMW 328i sedan made
  • rkamathrkamath Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    Hi All,

I am in the Chicagoland area and am looking at purchasing a 2011 328i automatic transmission with Value package and some additional frills like moon roof, anti theft alarm, keyless entry, metallic paint and BMW assist with bluetooth. I have been offered a quote of 36500 which excludes title, registration, some documentation fee. So on the road it comes to ~40000. The price includes the holiday discount and some dealer incentive

Is this a good deal or should I expect more? Bit of an urgency here since the holiday pricing will effectively expire tomorrow. Any insights would be appreciated

Best Regards
  • mikezatmikezat Member Posts: 20
    I hope you are not charged extra for moon roof and BMW Assist. I am not aware of any 328i sedans without these. Metallic paint is around $480 more.
    Bluetooth is probably optional though I suspect it became standard on 2011. Make sure you get the smoker's package as the retard who designed interior on my 2011 328i put power socket under the glove compartment on the passenger side. The other socket is under the armrest in that small space which means you need to lift your arm, open the armrest and put your cell phone in there. BTW, there is no space for regular charger in the compartment under the armrest – you need to get a low profile one.
    My leased car came at $39100 MSRP with metallic paint, moon roof, BMW Assist with Bluetooth, power memory seats, leather interior, self dimming mirrors, power doors/windows etc. So you need to figure out how much more for keyless entry and alarm.
    Why are you buying? Lease the sucker. All the repairs/maintenance after its warranty expires gonna cost you arm+leg+first born.
  • calicars123calicars123 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to buy (2.9% financing for 60 months) a 2011 328i sedan but since I am new to buying cars, I have no idea if what is being offered is a rip-off or not. At one dealership, I am being offered an automatic transmission and moonroof with a holiday credit all totaling $34,250. After taxes and DMV fees, it comes out to $38,061. At another dealership, I was offered an automatic transmission with an alarm thrown in (no moonroof) with a holiday credit totaling $33,720. After taxes and DMV fees, it comes out to $37,230. Can anyone help me and tell if any of these are fair prices or if I am just being played? Thanks for your help!
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    All the repairs/maintenance after its warranty expires gonna cost you arm+leg+first born.

Not with the 3-series. Bought my '01 330i in June of that year, so it's been out of warranty since June, 2005. My only major outlay since then was $1200 for a new control arm, after I drove into the biggest pothole in the Northeast. Hardly the car's fault. Still have the car. Still love it.

Around here (NY metro area), I still see plenty of E36 generation (1992-98) 3-series cars.

If you get bored with your cars easily & must have a new one every 3 years, go ahead & lease. But don't let fear of post-warranty repair costs keep you from buying a 3.
  • shareeefshareeef Member Posts: 1
    Bought one on the last day of holiday discount.

FYI:

328i XDrive
    Space gray metallic
    black leather dakota
    premium package
    value package
    septronic auto transmission
    heated steering wheel
    navigation system
    satellite radio

MSRP: 43740
    Invoice: 40895

Bought for: 41000
    NJ Tax: 2870
    Tire Tax: 6
    Reg/Title: 399
    Doc: 249
    Total: 44524.00
    Holiday Discount: -1500.00
    Out of the door: 43024.
  • rkamathrkamath Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    Hi All,

Thank you for your posts. I went ahead and bought the 328i on the last day of the holiday credit. This is the deal I got

328i with metallic sea blue color exterior
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Comfort Access keyless entry
    Satellite Radio with 1yr subscription

The MSRP was 41100 and I got it for 37100 which included the holiday credit of 1500. This does not inlcude title and registration
  • bmwformebmwforme Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    MSRP = $45,450
    (Includes Premium Pkg, Nav Pkg, Sport Pkg, Heated Seats, Sat Radio 1yr, etc)

Adj Cap Cost = $41,250 (agreed value)

Total Down = $1200 ($2700 - $1500 Holiday Credit)
    (Includes 1st month's payment, reg fees, licensing, etc)

36 months
    12k/year

Monthly = $492 + tax = $538 Total

I think I got a good deal, but I just hope they don't screw me in the end to make up for it with excess 'wear & tear' charges. I shopped around at 5 other dealerships for same exact car on 12/30/10 and closest offer to this one was $520 + tax.

I don't know if it was right timing, right dealer or my credit score of 825 that got me this deal. Was this a good deal?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Sounds like a nice car.. Is it stick or Steptronic?

I've found BMW to be very fair on lease turn-in..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwformebmwforme Member Posts: 2
    It's auto (w/steptronic)
  • pg123pg123 Member Posts: 7
    Being quoted $37,000 for 2011 328xi w/ Premium, Cold weather, Nav.

The car has 3200 miles on it.

Is this a good deal
  • jse24jse24 Member Posts: 1
    Hello...

I was hoping for some feedback on the deal I was offered.

2011 328i Xdrive Sedan
    Black Saphire Metallic
    Black Dakota Leather
    Dark Walnut Trim
    Value Package
    Premium Package
    Convenience Package
    Steptronic
    Navigation
    Satellite Radio

The price of the car is $42,370 plus tax.

Seems like a good deal to me at $330 below invoice. I just want to make sure that this seems right! Thanks!
  • topocurlstopocurls Member Posts: 1
    Sounds good to me also, although I am in the middle of negotiating for my first ever BMW, so those with more experience may have a different perspective on this. I just got quoted $500 below dealer invoice for a 2011 328i.
  • 711shamonkey711shamonkey Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on purchasing a 2011 335d, and want to take advantage of the eco credit.

It will be ordered with the exact options I want from Germany.

Here is what I've been quoted by the dealer:

"The pricing would be 800 over invoice minus Eco credit (if available). The additonal fees are 1.25 tire tax, 15 title fee and 150 doc fee."

Does this seem fair, if the eco credit is $3500?

Thank you!
  • conwaymaconwayma Member Posts: 3
    2011 BMW 328xi Sedan

MSRP = $37,075
    (Jet Black, includes Value package - Leather/ipod adapter/17"alloy wheels, and moonroof)

Adj Cap Cost = $34,620 (negotiated price=invoice cost)

Total Down = $3860
    (Includes 1st month's payment, bank acq fee, reg/doc fees, and $2000 down payment)

36 months
    15k/year

Monthly = $374 base plus $23 tax = $397/month

MF=.00105, Residual 57%

I was hoping to get the car for $300 to $500 under invoice but the supply of manual transmission cars was extremely low and none of the dealers I spoke to would go any lower than invoice. In fact, most of the quotes I got were $500 above invoice. As part of the deal, I convinced the dealer to through in the rubber floor mats. I think its insane that BMW doesn't include floor mats and charge $170 extra for them.

The car was purchased from a dealer north of Boston MA in Peabody. Found them very reasonable to work with.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Sounds fair.
  • glyrasglyras Member Posts: 8
    Hi All,

I am looking at leasing my first BMW, a 335d.

Can anyone provide me with the money factor and residual values for the following scenarios

3 year, 10k miles/yr
    3 year, 12k miles/yr
    3 year, 15k miles/yr

Also, I am curious to what others have been able to negotiate for the adjusted cap cost in New England.

Thanks.
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    I paid 1250 over invoice for my special order d.
    The ecocredit comes off that. So you should be at least $2000, perhaps $3000 if you really drove a hard bargain under invoice if you get a good deal.
    It's a fantastic car.
  • bond007jbbond007jb Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2011
    Getting a 2008 335i convertible for 35800, has 30K miles, loaded with almost all the options, new MSRP was 58K (Prem., Sport, Nav etc.). It is not CPO but has almost 1.5yrs of original warranty and maintenance left on the car (4yr/50K miles).

Is this a good price?
  • soupconsoupcon Member Posts: 25
    i would
    - check the tmv on edmunds
    - check the clearbook.com value (although i'm not sure yet how accurate it is)
    - go to bimmerfest or similar forum website and do a search and/or ask if anyone can give you manheim auction results for that model. figure a CPO warranty is WORTH about 3k. costs them less i believe.

imho i would look into a lease of a new one. first, those cars have had a lot of trouble and i can almost guarantee it won't be pretty when it gets off warranty. also REALLY look at your cost of depreciation + repairs + maintenance on buying a used bmw and compare it to the real yearly cost of a lease. bmw's leases are nicely subsidized, keep you covered under warranty, protects you from the serious depreciation that happens if you get in an accident; every time i do the math, buying these vehicles used makes no sense.

i can help you run those numbers if you care to.
  • ahsanhasanahsanhasan Member Posts: 6
    I am considering buying a new BMW coupe (328i), but just read that the new style bmw will be on sale in 2012-what to do? Should I consider an Audi or another brand? because my number one goal was not to deal with design change for at least 4 years. ahsan
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Bought a CPO 2008 BMW 335i sedan, 6 speed automatic with 40,000 miles for $29,000 plus TTL. OTD $32,200.

Has sport package, premium package, and many other options. Is this a good deal?
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Understand your point about leasing the car instead. But 3 yr leases are running about 25K in all, so if I keep this car for 6 yrs, it more than pays for two leases, plus the CPO car I am now looking at will have the extended warranty till end of 2013 which should cover any major issues.

The earlier deal fell through as the dealer is not ready to sell below 36800 but I am getting another CPO 2008 car with exact same color but 46000miles and additional Satellite Radio for 36500 + TTL = 40K approx. OTD. Would you not even consider it?

Thanks
  • rwolffrwolff Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2009
    I've been looking to but a new used car and trade in my 2000 Audi A4 2.8 quattro. Narrowed it down to two choices: a 2009 Audi A4 3.2L quattro Premuim Plus with 19K miles, original warranty good until August 2013, can be had for $25K with my trade. Impressed with the ride, braking and acceleration, and lots of room all around. The other is a 2007 BMW 335xi with 15K miles, cold weather and premium packages, price with trade is $24,500, CPO until Nov 2013, very impressed with how this car handles and the engine is a beast. Love to hear opinions on what car you would buy. I'm leaning toward the BMW since I've had Audi's for a long time and would be a nice change, plus feel the value on the BMW is excellent. Thanks
  • paracurveparacurve Member Posts: 1
    2011 328i with premium pkg and heated seats
    MSRP: $39,600
    Best offer so far is $39,8xx, OTD
    9.25% tax

Sounds like a deal?
    Getting a 2008 335i convertible with 30K miles (Sports, Premium, Cold Wthr, Nav, Auto with Steering mounted shifters, USB & Wind Deflector) for $36K + TTL, good price? Thanks
  • cabo2007cabo2007 Member Posts: 3
    All - first time post but long time follower.

In Oct. '08 I bought a 2005 325xi with 40k miles for $22k. Got the extended maint warranty which was awesome (numerous oil changes, wipers, new brakes, roters, oil sensor, thermostat etc. were done).

Fast forward to Feb. 2011 and the car now has 73k miles and the extended warranty is up. I pay about $350/mo with about $10k left on the loan.

With that, I'm thinking for trading this car in for an '08 328 (i or xi). Hoping to keep the payments the same.

Haven't walked into a dealer yet to discuss but I feel like I'll have two sets of negotiations...what can I buy a pre-owned for and what will I get for my old car.

Do you like where my head is? Should I be going about this another way? Any research I should be doing?

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    Are the build your own BMW & Estimate lease payments accurate on bmwusa.com?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    The build-your-own MSRP is accurate.. but, the lease figures generally aren't....

They use the standard lease rates, that may, or may not be applicable to that model... You can usually negotiate a better deal than what you come with on the website..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    Hard top convertibles are rare to see compare to coupe, is there any particular reason like more expensive or less reliable top etc or safety issues?
    edited February 2011
    Folks I have been long time member and have benefited from the esteemed knowledge of the folks on these forums and am again looking forward to your assistance. I have been looking at 3 series convertibles for a long time and off late have found some cars that have really interested me. Here is another one that I recently found:

Found a 335i convertible from one of the small dealers who essentially buy cars from auction to be resold or exported. This car was a lease return sold at auction. Has 31000miles and asking price is 37K, has Nav, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Keyless, 19" wheels (which I don't want because of the rough ride, but easy enough to change). I looked at Carfax, the title is clean and it is not a salvage but following issues are concerning,

*Rear Brake Pads replaced at 12K miles
    *Checked for engine oil leak at 21K miles
    *Parts Ordered? Engine oil and filter changed, chassis lubricated at 24K miles
    *Front & Rear brakes and rotors changed at 25K miles
    *Sold at auction 31K miles

Seems like the car was driven hard, looking at the services performed, but it is priced lower than 2008s from "reputable" dealers. What do you folks suggest? Should I take the risk? May be able to bring the price down by another 1k or more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Driving Impressions
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I checked out the car and test drove it. Drives really nice, smooth, engine sounds good, no cowl shake but that may be because of the adaptive steering, essentially numbing the feel.

Based on the brakes being changed I am guessing this car has been tracked, or in the least driven hard. How well does the E93 hold up to tracking? How well does the entire E9x platform hold up to tracking.

The interior has gone through some abuse, looks like a 5+yr old car's and not a 2yr old car. There are some scuff marks, and the leather is a bit dirty but that can be cleaned.

The tread on the Yokohamas is almost gone, maybe 5k more miles left.

The oil leak makes me think that maybe a rock or something hit the oil pan, I will get the car inspected, especially the undercarriage.

The guy is willing to deal, can possibly get the car for 35.5K which is a great price for an 09 'vert. The car will definitely need a little bit of work but the good thing is that it has almost 2yrs of factory warranty left.
    [B]
    Folks need your assistance in deciding whether I should even take the risk of going for this car or not?[/B]
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    I'd pass; the brakes should last upwards of 50,000 miles. The oil should have been changed at @ 15,000 miles. And I seriously doubt that the car was tracked -at a BMW CCA HPDE at least- as CCA requires that droptops have a permanently attached hardtop AND a roll bar.
    The condition of the interior also speaks volumes; a car with a pristine interior and immaculate bodywork may have neglected mechanicals, but if the car's overall appearance is shabby I can almost guarantee that the hard parts have been given short shrift. If you really like the car, I'd still want to have it inspected by a good BMW tech. The Carfax may well be wrong- it happens more often than you think.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    edited March 2011
    I'm going along with Roadburner in his analysis.

BMW's are not cheap cars to maintain, and if you take ownership (even at what seems to be a good price today) of one that has been "raw-hided", I can almost guarantee you will rue the day you signed the paperwork.

The brake changes by themselves indicate severe treatment, and if you add in the poor interior quality...

Also, the length of the first oil change would be a "kicker" for me. Youy're not likely to see the results of minimal oil changes during the first 50K miles, but at some point, you WILL see them.

I suspect this car may well have been leased, and whoever had it got as much "goody" out of it as possible... then, let it get reclaimed by the take-back man.

Let's just say I would probably pass. There are better cars waiting to be picked up.
    Thanks folks for your replies. The first oil change was done at 13000 miles. There was another service performed before that at 1300 miles. I did get the car checked out by an IM and there were no major issues discovered. The tires are not originals and are not run flats. Regarding the brakes and pads folks on some forums mentioned that it is normal especially for the heavier convertible, some folks got theirs changed due to squealing.
  • sanvij2003sanvij2003 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I`m in the market as well for a 328i with Premium but no heated seat.

MSRP:$38,550
    OTD offer: 39,488

I live in Dallas area? What about you?

Please let me know if you completed the purchase and the final OTD

Best,

Sanvij2003
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    I was given this quote yesterday & was hoping for some feedback/help.

2011 328i
    Exterior: White (non-metallic)
    Interior: Gray Leather

Packages:
    Premium Package
    Value Package

Options:
    Automatic Transmission
    Keyless Entry
    Heated front seats
    Heated steering wheel
    Navigation system
    Harmon/Kardon surround sound

27 month lease at 10,000 miles per year, $5,000 total out of pocket, $435/month
    36 month lease same miles & out of pocket $480/month

Car will be leased in NYC, the sales tax rate is 8.875%.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • mtbmark1mtbmark1 Member Posts: 1
    Car Man please let me know what is the current MF & the residual value for the convertible 335I for 36 months & 1ok miles per year.
    Thanks in advance
  • cerlmccerlmc Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Can anyone give me some ideas on what they think I should be paying for this lease.

I'm looking to lease a 328i with premium package, xenon lights, comfort key, and parking sensor

the msrp is 40, 275 invoice = 36,205- i also know a manager who says they can get it 1000 under invoice

ive been quoted around 3000 out of pocket for $379month, please tell me what you guys think?

Thanks in advance
  • DWDrillerDWDriller Member Posts: 1
    In Houston, I just bought a 328i convertible with a MSRP of $53,225. Dealer originally only offered $2100 off of MSRP. Obtained internet quotes from local BMW dealers and got $4884 off of MSRP. Car was built to order and will be shipped from Germany which may account for lower price.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2011
    Roadburner, is right I'd pass. My car sounds better taken care of than the one you'er looking at. I'd get a new Car faxfor $25.00 and don't they have all the service records. I keep mine and when I sell it I give all the service records and what I spent on extas, like a clear mask, all seasons etc.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    I bought my first BMW in the seventies I took a trip to Germany arranged by a friend who owned a dealership.I drove it and it was called a Gray Car as it didn't pass U.S. emissions.
    Someone on here can correct me, I got the car and had it converted to meet USA emission specs. I saved alot of money as I put 3500 miles on it in Europe. Anyhow, I shipped over.
    By the way, I'm Puff's dad
  • streetskoolerstreetskooler Member Posts: 1
    All -

First time, long time. I just wanted to start by saying thanks to everyone in this forum who has posted before as you have been very helpful to me. I am a first time BMW buyer and was quoted today in New Jersey (7% sales tax) on this 27 month lease for a 2011 328xi sedan. It has: Space grey metallic color, black dakota leather, premium package, value package, steptronic auto, heated steering wheel, fold down rear seats, xenon headlights, and nav system.

MSRP: $44,690
    Cap Reduction: $3,021
    DMV Fees: $318
    Money Factor: 0.00210
    Capitalized Cost: $42,155
    Sales Tax: $1034
    Bank Fee: $925
    Total Cap: $44,114
    Cap Reduction: $3,021
    Net Cap: $41,092
    Residual: $32,623
    Monthly Payment: $468.46 (for 27 months with $4k down)

So total OTD price was $4000, which did included TTL, first payment, etc. I think the money factor is a big high, along with the monthly payment. However my friend say it was a pretty good deal. Your thoughts????

Also how much would you say a comparable 335xi would run? I'm going to ask my CA on Thursday when I go back, I'm just hoping someone here could give me a number to work with before I go back.

Thanks!
  • dew9dew9 Member Posts: 3
    I've been hunting for a good deal to buy out my lease which ends very soon. I have a 328i (Premium) with about 28K miles on it. My lease lists the residual at about 21.8k. The best offer I've received from any dealer in the vicinity is $24,500 for the car plus the extended warranty. That amount includes $1000 for the end of the lease payments. So essentially its $21,500 for the car and $2K for the extended warranty (no maintenance). I treat this car very well. No accidents and no rough driving. This seems pretty reasonable to me...or am I making a big mistake.

My alternative would be to buy a similar pre-certified car (automatic + sports package) for $24,700 out the door from the same dealer (with the financing tricks I can get maintenance thrown in for free). The negative is I don't know who previously owned it and they put 6000 more miles on it that I have on my car.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    You should buy the car you have owned since new. There is less risk that way. Even if you have to pay a bit extra for it. My .02.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    Buy your car, even if costs a little more.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the extended warranty on a 328i- especially if you're the original owner. I bought a CPO 2004 X3 2.5 back in 2005 and I never made a single claim under the CPO warranty. At 110,000 miles I've had no mechanical failures of any kind. I've bought one set of pads/rotors, two sets of tires, and followed the "old school" maintenance schedule. It's been the most trouble-free car that I have ever owned.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    roadburner:

I've kicked myself quite a few times for NOT buying out the lease on our former 2007 X3.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD