Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    In short, yes, BMW has money back on the 3 series coupe right, and some good money factor. A friend just leased a fully loaded 335i convertible and got a outstanding deal. BMW wants to move them before the 4 series arrive.
  • sunrisekaffesunrisekaffe Member Posts: 1
    328i convertible, Premium Sound, Premium and Convenience Packages included.

MSRP $55,245

Sale price after incentives $49,342

36 months 12k miles/year
    $2,675 total drive off
    $498+tax= $536/month inc tax

Money factor 0.00130
    Residual Value $35,357.00
    Cap reduction $445
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    Wait for the 4 series but it may not hits the US showrooms until August or September. While the car may be hot when it comes out, you can still get a deal if you do ED.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    Horrible advice.. The money factor for the 4 series will be high so the savings you get from the European delivery program will washed out. Dealers wont deal on the 4 series, for a while, so people will have to pay MSRP and high money factor...
    That said, up until a couple of weeks ago, I had an E92 coupe.

OK, so what are you driving now, S5 ?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    FN...no...still driving the S4. Sold the F32. Long story that's boring, but the S4 is now in my name.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Oh my.... I was looking at a 335is convertible yesterday nice car....
    FN....335is 'vert would be sweet. No complaints whatsoever about driving an S4.

That said, I'll own a BMW again.
  • bmwillubmwillu Member Posts: 2
    I end up purchasing BMW 328xi Luxury Line.
    Black Exterior & Tuffle Interior.
    Luxury Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Navigation
    MSRP 48K - 44486.93 OTD

Following rebates included in OTD
    -$1000 Finance rebate
    -$750 Loyalty Rebate
  • lichtronamolichtronamo Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to order a new 3-series with the options one wants? What is the wait involved from when the order is placed until delivery? Thanks in advance!
    Actually, it's pretty easy to spec and order exactly what you want.

Go here and configure what you want.

http://www.bmwconfig.com/

Once getting the car exactly the way you want, take a printout to your dealer, haggle with them. Have them order the car. Depending on the allocation they have in approx 6-8 weeks you'll have your car in your garage.
  • lichtronamolichtronamo Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Just what I wanted to hear. The 3-Series can get pricy quickly with too many options and here in MN they are almost all XDrive/automatics. Thanks!
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    A few test drives on Saturday...

Went to my BMW dealer so I could compare a 328 and 335 back to back. Drove identically equipped Sport Line cars. Impressions are below:

* Auto Start/Stop on the 328i is just annoying enough that I would disable it everytime. A definite shudder when the car restarts.

* Fit and finish of both are still stellar. I didn't detect any down grading of interior materials on either one.

* The turbo 4 in the 328 is surprisingly smooth and powerful. Very little turbo lag.

* The new electric power steering on both is noticeably lighter. Even in sport mode it felt very light. One would have to decide for themselves if this is a good or bad thing.

* The TT I-6 in the 335i is awesome. Period. End of story. Is it worth the premium over the 328? TBD.

Since I am a current BMW lessee I am eligible for a pull ahead and that makes either of these pretty attractive.

Still need to drive an A4 and CTS.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au....good luck. Keep us posted.

IF you get the chance (especially if you're looking at the 335) drive an S4. They're tougher to come by, but worth it, if only for a test drive.

My sister is looking for another car. She took me out to drive an ATS this weekend. She drove the 4 cyl turbo and the 3.6 V6. Handled and drove well. Wish the 4 cyl turbo was less racuous and at least made good noises as that one seemed ideal.

CUE system was WAY FUSSY. But, the dealer said GM is supposed to be sending a software update to fix it.

Dealer turned my sister off with the old statement...."these cars are very popular (as we could see at least 10 on the lot) and will sell quickly. So, let's write it up now." Too much "old school" car selling for her taste vs what we've experienced at the other high end stores.
    The TT I-6 in the 335i is awesome. Period. End of story. Is it worth the premium over the 328? TBD.

The 335 is now is a single turbo engine, the engine cover is very misleading, by calling it twin power.
  • wfk21wfk21 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2010 CTS Performance under lease coming due in August and have already had several calls from my sales guy from three years asking me to come in to discuss my options. I love CTS, probably the best car I've driven in my 26 years of driving. Of course I have not owned or leased a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. I have done a lot of research on the ATS and it looks good, but two things that are keeping me away, CUE sucks (yes I know, an update is coming, but hell I don't want to have to wait for an update) and the interior looks to damn shiny, nonetheless I haven't ruled it out. So I thought maybe the CTS coupe, but it's the same interior as I have now. Then what about the 328 vs 335, given I have a heavy foot (yes, have had my share of speeding tickets) and come on let's face it the split dual exhaust looks damn cool versus the 328's all on the left side design and BMW knows it. Open to suggestions!!!
    edited April 2013
    Thoughts? Drive a 328i and a 335i (faster/smoother). Tell us what you think.
    A new CTS is due out this year, which looks a lot better then the current one and has many updates that was really needed for the car. That is one option and yes, GM will extend your lease for you if needed to get into the new CTS.

Until then, go out and drive cars, that is really the only way you will know what you like and do not like.
    Good point, haven't considered that. The only drawback to extending my lease are my tires and brake pads will need replacing well before then so I figured I'd rather swap sooner than later.
  • lasvegasrphlasvegasrph Member Posts: 102
    Just wondering where all the "prices paid and buying experiences" are? All I have read are ramblings on, and on, and on about comparisons to various models and what is a better car. This area is supposed to be for PRICES PAID AND BUYING EXPERIENCES on a 3-series BMW. What deal did you get? How much did you pay?

Not talking about how comfortable the seats are (or aren't) and how fast the 328 vs 335 is. This is the wrong thread for those types of discussions........
    Relax...you obviously didn't go back a few threads because several people talk about the deals they got.
    I was just giving you an option.
  • vince1313vince1313 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    Surprised there isn't some talk on the national lease offers from BMW. They offer 1500 off MSRP (another 750 for loyalty) and 3.10 interest rate. With nothing down, come out to about 535 a month (depending on your sales tax.) Is anyone taking these - or modifying them? I'm interested in exactly what deals people are getting on 3 series leases.
  • mrtrancemrtrance Member Posts: 190
    edited April 2013
    How are you getting $418.04 a month with only $1143 drive off? Here's how I calculated the deal and with the following numbers:

MSRP: $43,445
    Sale price: $40,795
    Total Rebates: $1000.00

Residual Amount: $27370.35
    Money factor/rate: 0.00135
    Mileage Program : 10,000

(39795 (minus the $1K rebate) - 27370.35) / 36 = 345.13
    (39795 + 27370.35) * 0.00135 = 90.67
    345.13 + 90.67 = $435.80 Base Rate
    $435.80 * 1.09 (tax rate) = $475.02

Drive Off Fees:
    $475.02 (1st month) + $725 Acquisition Fee + DMV,taxes,etc. (~$550) = $1750.02 due on delivery

Can you explain how you got a payment of $418 and only $1143 drive off for the same vehicle?
  • sbedi88sbedi88 Member Posts: 10
    Hello! I'm looking to lease my first BMW and need some advice. Right now I have come down to 2 vehicles and need some help and need to know if I am getting a good deal.

Vehicle 1: 328xi glacier silver metallic (550) with black dakota leather, dark burl walnut (500), cold weather package (950), premium package (3100), nav (2150), lighting package (900) for a total of $44,930. This is about $880 above invoice... $520 plus taxes titles and fees a month for 36mths/12k

Vehicle 2: 328xi imperial blue metallic (550) with veneto dakota leather, luxury line (2100), driver assistance package (1900), cold weather package (950), premium package (3100), nav (2150), lighting package (900) for a total of $48,280. This is $815 above invoice... $549 plus taxes titles and fees a month for 36mths/12k

Which would you guys recommend? Are these good deals or could I do better?

Thank you again for your advice!
  • dchabitantdchabitant Member Posts: 21
    I think you could probably do a bit better--$400-$500 above invoice is reasonable. On the other hand, the difference between $800 above invoice and $400 above invoice on a lease is only about $150 or $4/month. (May not be worth the hassle.)

More important is to make sure that they're not padding the money factor or the fees. Insist on the base money factor (.00129) without any markup. Also acquisition fee should be $725, no more. If you can, you should make multiple security deposits. 7 security deposits, will lower your money factor to .0008. And you'll get all the money back at the end of the lease.

Based on the specs you provided for the first option, I think the invoice should be $43,595; meaning you're actually paying about $1,300 aboveinvoice. For the second option, invoice should be $47,235; so your paying about $1,000 over.

If I were negotiating, I would shoot for $44,100 for the first car and $47,750 for the second. And your lease payments, not including taxes and fees (and with no additional security deposits), should be about 478/month and $517/month, respectively. These numbers assume $0 down, and that you're paying the acquisition, doc and tag fees upfront, and not including them in your lease payments.

Hope this helps
    edited April 2013
    Oh that helps a lot! Thanks. The general manager at the dealership showed me the computer screen as he located these 2 cars in their system. The "wholesale" price looked to be $200 more than Edmund's invoice... not sure what that is about.

I also tried to work a deal on a 320XI with alpine white, black leatherette, dark burl walnut trim, premium package, driver assistance package, lighting package, nav with BMW assist. I was quoted for $40,200 with an MSRP of $43,145 which, according to Edmund's, is $515 above invoice. I really didn't notice a difference in the drive between the 328 and the 320 and figure that it makes better financial sense to save that $3-4k off the MSRP.

With leasing this, I should be paying around $474.68 a month for 36 months/12k miles. The dealer was telling me that I would be paying $504 a month. Not sure where he is getting his numbers from but he was very reluctant to have to order this vehicle from Germany and he was very pushy to move existing units off his lot (especially because it is the end of the month).

Is the price that I negotiated for the 320XI a good buy, and, what should I be paying per month for this kind of a lease. Thank you again!
    Ask him to show you his numbers on the lease, I'm betting he is padding the money factor and Doc fee's. How much out of pocket is he quoting you?
    Yes, ask him to show you an itemized list of all fees. Your lease payments depend not only on purchase price but also on money factor being used and the fees your dealer is charging--acquisition, doc/processing, tags and associated taxes.

Again assuming that you're paying these fees upfront ($1,000-$1,200), your lease payments on the car you describe should be about $437/month plus tax.

Make sure you know what money factor your dealer is using.

Btw, Edmunds has a lease calculator that will give you a pretty good estimate of what you should expect to pay..
    He didn't give me any figures for the out of pocket (I know, I know, that is a big mistake). He changed the subject to the 328xi constantly (which he said he was more willing to work on). I was figuring out how he did his calculations and it looks like he rolled the taxes into the monthly payments (should be $473+tax and he was quoting 504)... I tried the Edmund's calculator and I was getting a monthly lease rate of 460+tax... I calculated it myself using the equations online and got 474+tax which is very close is why I assume that he is rolling in the taxes.

I'll go to the dealership tomorrow and get the complete breakdown.

Thanks for the advice :)
    Can you show me how you are coming up with the $437/month+tax? I keep getting 474/month+tax. Here is how I calculated it:

MSRP: $42,250
    Capitalized Cost: $40,200
    Residual (62%): $26,195
    Money Factor: 0.00129

Monthly depreciation charge:
    ($40,200 - 26,195.90)/36 = $389.03

Monthly finance charge:
    ($40,200 + 26,195.90) x 0.00129 = $85.65

Base rate:
    $474.68

I wish this base rate was $437! Maybe I am calculating this wrong. Could you please tell me how you came up with this?
    You said in your earlier post that MSRP was $43,145, not $42,250. Also, I thought you mentioned that you were leasing for 36 months with a 12k mile allowance. If I'm not mistaken, residual for 12k miles is 64%, not 62%.
    The MSRP is 42,250 without the destination charge ($895). Does the destination charge get factored into the car when you are calculating the residual?

I got the residual values from ridewithg dot com which states that the residuals for this month are 62%... I don't what mile allowance they are using for that value.
  • brooklynaudibrooklynaudi Member Posts: 53
    IF you read the bottom of that website

2013 BMW 328i Sedan xDrive
    36 Month – Residual 62% of MSRP – .00129 Base Rate

To calculate residual values for 12k miles/yr please add 2%. For 10k miles/yr, please add 3%.

So the RESIDUAL for 12K is going to be 64%. That website is giving quotes for 15K miles and expects you to add 2% if you want 12k miles/yr
    It's a good point regarding the destination charge. you would think that a destination charge should not be factored into the car's residual value. But I think that it does get factored in. I'm pretty sure that if it's included in the MSRP, it's also included in the end-of-term residual value. I may be wrong, but that's how I've been calculating my monthly-payment estimates; and the dealer's numbers jibed with mine.

As brooklynaudi states, the residual for 12k miles is 64%. Car man and others on this forum are kind enough to provide updated money factors and residuals every month. Search the forum for up-to-date figures.
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    The destination charge does get factored into the residual value.
    So I ended up going with the imperial blue 328xi luxury line with cold weather, premium pkg, drivers assistance pkg, Nav, and bmw apps. They included rubber mats and 2 coffee mugs. Msrp 51345, negotiated price of 48200. Leased for 525 a month for 36 months/12k with 2880 due at signing (taxes, bank fees, plate fees, first months payment). I am happy with the negotiated price (around $600 over edmunds invoice) and I am very happy with the car. I've owned many luxury cars in the past (mostly Japanese luxury - Acura and Infiniti and Mercedes) and the craftsmanship of the interior and the exterior are outstanding. The dealership I bought from is in Akron, Ohio and I think they have been ranked the top bmw dealership in Ohio in the past. The manager and salesmen are phenomenal and know what they're talking about. They go out of their way to make sure you get the best deal on your car and if you have a trade in they will likely give you a value close to KBB. Highly recommended. But again, if you're leasing, make sure you don't tell them that until you have negotiated a fair price on the car. Same with the trade in, wait til the end to mention that.

Thank you all for your help!
    So what was the residual and money factor? For 2800 out of pocket and $525/m you did very good!
    Thanks! It was actually a very easy process too. The lease agreement has no loopholes and is very clear cut. There is only a 350 disposition fee at lease end if you don't lease another bmw or buy the one you leased. I am very pleased. The money factor was 0.00129. No multiple security deposits. The residual was based on 64% making the amount 33052.80 based off an MSRP of 51345.
    Congratulations! That's excellent. Some might be paying invoice or below. I don't think it's worth the time or the effort to fight for that. Even if, after a great deal of haggling and cross-shopping, you managed to get another $600 off--that translates about $200 on your lease.

I think $600 over invoice is very fair, both to you and to the dealer. (That's basically what I shot for and ended up getting.) Glad he was upfront with the fees and didn't try to pad the MF.

A little jealous that you already got your ride. Mine's only getting here first week of June.

Glad if I helped in any way.
  • chaozz1chaozz1 Member Posts: 49
    Hey Car Man whats May MF on 3 series
    Thanks
  • chaozz1chaozz1 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks
  • swameeswamee Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    So after 7 deposits the best MF is 0.78? Have there been any changes to residuals for 3 series in May?
  • montinomontino Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Got a quote 521/month $3,700 out of pocket 36 months msrp $49,695
    Sport line
    Heated seats
    19' wheels

Is this a good deal?
    I do not think your MF is .078, it would be more like .0078 or .00078.
    Residuals are the same and MF would be .00078 after the 7 MSD's
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    We can't tell without the purchase price (which the lease is based on). You also need to check out the invoice.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
  • jss9jss9 Member Posts: 5
    Hi ,

Can you pls share the dealership and sales person's name - we are also in Ohio and looking to buy one
    Dave Walter BMW in Akron. The salesperson's first name is Robert. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!