Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• konacougkonacoug Member Posts: 196
    What is the invoice price? Pretty hard to tell, without more info....are there rebates and incentives involved?
  • maxjohnmaxjohn Member Posts: 5
    Build the car and find its invoice on bmwconfig.com. From the invoice you can determine the deal. In the bay area check out Weatherford BMW in Berkley, they sometimes have fantastic deals.
  • wakeriderof87wakeriderof87 Member Posts: 3
    Awesome thanks, I sent Adrian an email.
  • wakeriderof87wakeriderof87 Member Posts: 3
    How far below invoice do you think I can go after all rebates and discounts on a 2013 328i in the 41-45K range?
    It depends on the dealer....I would suggest that 3k under invoice is doable. You need to find a 2013 model on the dealers lot, obtain the invoice price, figure in the applicable rebates, send the dealer's internet dept an email.
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    What is the target price for a leftover 2013 335i convertible? I know there is $1500 build out allowance and I qualify for $500 loyalty. Should I shoot for under invoice say by $500 so dealer gets $1500 profit? As I am leasing I will only do deal if $725 Acquisition fee and buy MF of 0.00125. A dealer offered me 1,000 over invoice, with 925 acquisition fee and the MF marked up. Obviously, a poor deal. Other option is to wait for the 2 series convertible, but will be a soft top. Thoughts??
    I wouldn't pay over invoice for a 2013 model, even before incentives. The problem you are facing, not so many 2013's left. However, the dealer probably has been sitting on this car for a long time. I would stick to your guns...offer back invoice, minus your incentives, base mf. There are incentives available to the dealer right now, not seen by the public according to what I have read....
  • wittgenwittgen Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I know nothing about car buying and I would love to get some help from experienced buyers.

I was offered 2013 BMW 320xi with gray color, moon roof, power front seats, heated seats, walnut wood trim, and navigation system for $36500 (MSRP $41220, Invoice ~$38500).

Is this a good deal? Or should I try to get more deal out of it?

Thank you guys!!
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    The dealer says he has one of the few 2013 335i convert. with a manual trans left in the country. So this car is "rare, and in demand". I emphasized that this is a 2013 leftover. I will wait for a month and if still out there, re-approach him, if not, await the 2 and 4 series convert. (though I hear the latter will only have an auto trans with no manual offered in US). I am hoping that BMW gives us a 6 speed manual option in the 435 convertible, at least offered with the M sport package.
    I think the deal is pretty good for a 2013 model. Is this a purchase or a lease? Basically, they sold it to you at invoice, minus the $2000 incentive, pretty reasonable. Sometimes, there is always more room, from what I hear there are some direct to dealer incentives out there, that the public doesn't know about.

If you are leasing, there is a lot of info out there.
    I think that waiting the dealer out, is an excellent solution. If the car is still there in a month, then you can tell him, seems like it isn't in so much demand after all....but try not to smirk....

I have to tell you after having manual transmission most of my life.... I don't miss shifting at all in my 328i. The 8 spd auto is very efficient and in sport mode it is like a bat out of hell. Unfortunately, here in Hawaii, one can not really open up a car here on our roads.

I have heard that there are direct to dealer incentives from BMW, not seen by the public. This might help him make a better deal for you.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Call his bluff, if it was "in demand" it wouldn't be sitting on his lot, remind of that. Tell them if they want to make a sale today, then deal, if not, I'll go some place else and buy...
  • wittgenwittgen Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I just read the news that all 2013 BMW3 series are being recalled due the the break problem. I spoke to dealer today and he seemed to be unaware of this recall. The news says the dealers are not allowed to sell the vehicles that need fixing.. how do i find out if he is selling the car with break problem????
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    edited November 2013
    I am wondering if BMW has incentivized dealers to move more units?

In todays WSJ there was an ad for a 320xdrive 36 mo 10k lease at $269/mo. $2999 due at signing. Ad says $500 in option allowance and $500 in loyalty $$ are part of the deal. MSRP on advertised model is $37,025 includes heated seats, sunroof, ipod adapter, hands free bluetooth

I had thought that a year or two ago, BMW did this and many dealers bought the cars to get rebates from BMW (Had thought at the time, the rebates were up to $7k).

Naturally, the dealers kept mum about this and tried to keep as much of the manufacturers incentives for themselves.

I am actually trying to get away from the whole leasing thing and normally would not even consider a BMW (great car but more than I can afford) but when I saw the advertisement...

Any info is appreciated.
    According to BMW web site this is the current "deal" on a 320i:

Well-equipped including features such as Premium Package (Moonroof, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio), iPod/USB Adapter, Hands-free Bluetooth and Destination charges.

$279*/month for 36 months 10K/Yr. $500 Option Allowance, $500 Loyalty Cash are included in payment.

• $3,754 Cash due at signing

-----------------------------------------

Yes BMW is subsidizing these leases, if you don't want to lease any more look at BMW select financing.
    Where did you read this?
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    You are correct. BMW gave the dealers additional incentives in November and there is a push on the 3 series. This is based on a posting by a dealer on another forum but they won't disclose what the incentives are. The incentives are directly to the dealer, not the buyer.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    this actually not all that good of a deal and requires dealers participation too. That being said, there is more cash involved than the $3754, the Acquisition fee of $725, DMV fee, taxes, doc fee and other fees that your dealer could throw on there. The fees have to be used to de cap the lease too, which is never a good idea.
    there was some issues with the brakes, several months ago, but only some of the models were effected. However, any effected models are not allowed to be sold.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    edited November 2013
    On the 2013 and 2014 320 models, they raised the residual by 3%.. effectively cutting the lease payment by $30-$35/month..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Actually a good lease is the way to go on a BMW. Unfortunately, most people don't understand how the lease is structured and lack the information to make an informed decision. I will say that I got "took" on my first BMW lease, but since then, I have taken the time to educate myself.

These advertised deals, are not all that great and if you look at the small print there are a lot of substantial fees still required. Keeping that in mind, you should be able to get a 320 x drive for a very reasonable cost.

Configure the car on KBB, (they have 2014 prices), get the invoice price, check on incentives you qualify for, then email your build, along with your offer to dealers in your area( I would offer something like $500 over invoice, minus the incentives). Make sure you include in the offer the base money factor and acquisition fee.

Finally, if you can afford the extra cash, do the multiple security deposits, which will reduce the money factor by .0007. You can do a total of 7 MSD's for a reduction of .00049. On a 320, it should save you about $30-35 per month and the MSD's are returned at the end of the lease.
  • stuffedmonkeystuffedmonkey Member Posts: 12
    Based on that change, what is the revised MF and RV for a 36mth / 15k mile per year lease on the 2013 320iX sedan and 2014 320iX sedan?

Thanks in advance!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    2013 320iX Sedan 36mo, 15K/yr lease
    .00125 MF and 56% residual

.00125 MF and 63% residual

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dtd98dtd98 Member Posts: 21
    I'm interested in buying the 328d in the Bay Area and wonder if anyone has any experience in getting this diesel version of the 3er. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    dtd
    I recommend you contact Jon at Santa Barbara BMW, he is founder of the Bimmerfest forum and is a no BS CA, who provides great deals! From what I have heard the Bay area dealers do not give very good deals.
  • dtd98dtd98 Member Posts: 21
    Thank you konacoug. I will contact him when I am ready to buy. At this point, I like to know if anyone in the Bay Area got the diesel version of the 3er and the buying experience.
    Got costco web site and under services, click on auto sales, you can build any car you want this will give you invoice price on a car, this is good place to start.
  • carlovincarlovin Member Posts: 8
    Looks to me like with the current discounts, I should be able to get a 2013 328xi with sport line, navigation, cold weather and premium package (msrp is about 49k) for around 380/month for a 36 month lease with nothing down. That assumes a .00125mf and 58% residual and 7% tax rolled into the payment and selling price of under 43k. Can anyone confirm my math and whether you think this is feasible. Is BMW pushing to get rid of the 2013s now?
    I don't think your payment will be that low, especially with the low residual. My 328i at below invoice, at 35k with 7 MSD's, higher residual is $340 per month. I also paid my drive offs....

Your math is off... with no money out of pocket, it is more like in the mid to high 500's...I used 42k selling and 58% residual, added $725 acquisition fee, $1000 for DMV, taxes and first payment. Gave you a $500 rebate
  • n0othingn0othing Member Posts: 1
    Definitely no way you'd be able to score $380\mo...

MSRP: ~$49k
    Invoice: ~$45K
    Incentive: ($2000)
    Sell Price: ~$43k
    Gross Adj Cap Cost: ~43K + $1000 (Doc & Acq)) = ~$44k
    ----------------
    With a residual of 58% and a MF of .00125 you'd be looking at payments of ~$560/mo with zero down.
  • alexlu911alexlu911 Member Posts: 2
    Hi can someone let me know if it is a good deal?

2013 328i XDrive
    Jet Black
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package

MSRP: $43825
    Price: 39132
    Zero down, $2977.09 due at signing (Tax and DMV)
    Monthly payment: 450

Thank you very much!!
    I'm thinking you could get it lower, also what is the Money Factor and length of contract and mileage... Also where are you buying this, what state/city... You left out a lot of info.
  • alexlu911alexlu911 Member Posts: 2
    36 months
    10K miles
    59% residual
    MF 0.00125
    Queens, New York

Thank you very much!
  • warbernwarbern Member Posts: 73
    Looking to lease a 2014 320i in Florida. What is the current residual and money factor on a 36 month lease with 10k miles? How much higher would 12k miles be? Also, is invoice minus $2000 the best I can expect price-wise? Thanks so much!
    this is not a good deal for a 2013 model. With a $2000 incentive on the 2013 3 series, you should be looking at the least invoice, minus the $2000 incentive, which would be about 37k roughly. There is also an unknown incentive to the dealers out there from BMW. I would imagine it is at least 1k.

I recommend you figure out the invoice and make an offer from that price. Don't let them, use the $2000 incentive until after the invoice price.
  • carsfun36carsfun36 Member Posts: 9
    I don't see a lot of discussion about the 335i xdrive here and was wondering what price I should be looking for when trying to buy or lease. Should I be trying for invoice and then factory incentives on top of that? Would I be likely to get a better deal if I find one on a lot or if I ordered one? Trying to find one with just the navigation instead of the whole tech package is hard to do.

Looking for a 2014 335i xdrive
    - M Sport
    - cold weather
    - driver assistance
    - navigation system
    - Harmon Kardon

MSRP: $56,350
    Invoice: $52,415
  • mak303mak303 Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys,

I'm a brand new BMW buyer and looking to purchase within the month. I've done a lot of researching in terms of the car that fits my need and a good price range. Right now, I am looking at the 2013 MY BMW 320i or 320ix. There is one car at a dealer near me that has a 320ix with heated seat and lighting pkg for 37,000 (MSRP). I am planning on shooting an email over for a offer with 34,000 (roughly invoice or maybe slightly below) before the 2,000 build out credit (for 2013). So I am looking at a negotiated price of $32,000 before tax and fees. Does this sound about right? Or do you think I can get away with a lower price?

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.
    Here is what BMW is offering on their website as a special lease on a 2014 328ix...

Well-equipped including features such as Premium Package (Leather, Moonroof, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio), Automatic Transmission, Power Seats, iPod/USB Adapter, Hands-free Bluetooth and Destination charges.
    $399*/month for 36 months. $750 Option Allowance, $500 Loyalty Cash are included in payment.
    • $399 First months payment
    • $2,750 Down payment
    • $0 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $3,874 Cash due at signing

I'm not too sure how they are coming up with your lease, there has to be some hold backs on the 2013's since I'm sure BMW wants them gone.
    I don't think BMW has the 2K build out credit I can't find it on Edmunds web site, so you might SOL on that one. I bought my 320i the beginning of Oct and got the 2K built credit and my MSRP was $34K mind has the Premium Pack, and leather seats. You might give it a try, all depends on how hungry the dealer is. Also if you can wait for Dec, I'm sure BMW will have something to help move inventory.
    I think you are on the right track. I agree with you to send an email offer to their internet dept and not go in person, until you have agreed to terms. Also, you are indicating that you are buying, not leasing. If you are leasing that brings in many other variables.

Also, I would look at other dealer inventories and make offers to any other cars you like. Always best to have multiple options, gives you a little more leverage.
    Thanks konacoug. I am looking to buy, so things should be pretty straight forward in terms of price negotiation. I do expect the dealer to stick on some documents fees and etc. I understand these fees can be waived but often times, dealers will leave those fees on, to make more money. Other than sale tax, the fees should not be more than 700-900 dollars, am I correct?

Another question I have is, would it be wise to send one dealership multiple offers on different cars? Say I give him a offer for a 320i and a 328i, different priced car but two different offers on them. Or just stick with one offer on a single car?

And to flightnurse - I don't see the build out credit anymore on edmunds or bmwusa.com. However I did go to a dealership recently and briefly asked about the 2000 build out credit on the 2013 3 series models. His answer was yes, those still apply. So I am still expecting them to give them to me.

Lastly, I plan on doing a $1000-1500 below invoice offer for the 2013 MY cars before incentives. I understand some dealers might think this is too low, and counter offer to bring the price back up. Depending on the dealers inventory left, I think it is very possible to get $1500 below invoice on a MY 13, correct? Let me know if I am under-estimating the market.
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    Here is some info that you might have not known.
    A lot of manufacturers allow to buy out the car that you leased. What this allows you is to sell your car to a different dealer than the one you leased it from. I have leased a Honda and sold the car to Carmax after 1.5 years. Essentially this allows you to get out of a lease, and sometime even make a profit on a leased car. Do you know if BMW allows buyouts? If they do, you can lease the car with minimum miles, but then not get penalized for going over, because most likely the value of the car will be higher, and you will be able to sell the car to another dealer, even for a profit.
    The DMV fee specific for your state and the doc fee can also be capped by your state. I would look online and see what info is out there. There really shouldn't be any other significant fees. Depending on your state again, you may be hit with MACO and Training fees, about $480, I think.

Just watch out in the finance office, they finance guy will try to terrorize you into buying all kinds of warranties and crap. Best to decline it all....but tire insurance thru Discount Tire.

You can offer on both cars or offer on the one you like the best and keep the other car in reserve. I would form your offers as out the door prices, Ie, 36900 plus tax and license. I wouldn't give them an opportunity to add other fees. I agree that starting an offer at $1500 below is reasonable. Beware that they accept this, then don't give you the 2K build out credit.
    Thanks for the information on the DMV fee. I will look into it.

I haven't looked into tire insurance yet. Considering the price of tires for BMWs, I will definitely spend some time researching.

So are the MACO, Training, document fees the only fees that I should worry about? And if I make an offer like - 34,000 plus tax (2,000) and license, would they not try to add the fees? The way I see it is that they could agree to your offer, then when the time comes to sign the papers, they show you the others fees and say it is required (even though it is not).

As for the build out credit. I will make sure I make it clear that it is not included in my offer and expects my final price (before tax) to be deducted by the credit amount.
    When you send out your email offers, request that they provide the total itemized out the door price. This should enable you to see any other fees. Since, you are buying, I still would not buy any of their hazard/tire insurance. Many guys, change out the tires to non run flats, which cost a lot less money. IF I was you, I would put several thousand miles on them and see how you like them. I have them on my car and they are fine. They are much better than the ones from several years ago. Also, don't feel pressure to purchase extended warranties or maintenance agreements. You can always get them later. I know a guy in SoCal who is suppose to sell them, the lowest price around.

The dealers also make a pretty nice profit, if you max out your grades on them via the survey, in the neighborhood of $1500.
  • roni973roni973 Member Posts: 2
    Hi!
    Interested in lease amounts for:

2014 328i xDrive Gran Turismo - 14TF $41,450

Sport Line S0ZSL $2,500

1. Leather Dakota Black/Red highlight FLCL3 $1,450
    High-Gloss Black Trim S04AT

Options

1. Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information S06AM
    2. BMW Apps S06NR
    3. BMW Online S06AK
    4. Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration S06NS
    5. Instrument cluster with extended contents S06WA
    6. Navigation system with touchpad S0609 $2,150
    7. Remote Services S06AP
    8. Automatic high beams S05AC $250

Exterior

1. Alpine White P0300

Packages

1. Cold Weather Pack S0ZCW $950
    2. Driver Assistance Package S0ZDA $950
    3. Lighting Package S0ZLP $900

Destination: $925

Total MSRP $51,525

10,000miles/36mo $0 down
    12,000miles/36 mo $0 down
    tax rate 7%

any guidance as to what I should realistically expect for a payment?

hoping for high $500's or very low $600's

Thanks!
    Nice, one questions why no Premium Package? For me the Comfort Access is one option I could not live with out...
  • roni973roni973 Member Posts: 2
    Hmm--I guess I don't know what that is! I thought it was keyless access?
    It is, you place you hand on the exterior door handle and the car unlocks itself, and when get out do the same thing and the car locks, it's the best in the industry, also if you want to rear of the BMW and move your foot left to right under the bumper, it will unlock your trunk or hatch..
  • roadengineroadengine Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am looking to lease a 2014, 320xi sedan in PA. The MSRP with the options I am looking for is coming to $40370. Wanted to know whats the sale price and lease amount I should be looking for.

10,000miles/36mo $0 down

Also is it better to go for 2014 instead of 2013, if I am going for lease?