Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dkmandkman Member Posts: 5
    Just submitted an order for a new 2005, taking advantage of Autobahn (in Ft. Worth's) heavily advertised promo - "$4k off MSRP". Other area dealers claim there's no way, so I'm curious to see if they come through...it looks legit, as I've signed papers & given them a deposit, etc.

2005 325i Silver Gray
    Automatic
    Fold down rear seats
    PDC
    computer
    Navi
    MSRP 34,670 (incl dest)

+mats $150
    +ipod option $295
    +universal transciever $385

= $31,500 sales price

Seems pretty darn good to me!!
  • skibum1skibum1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a pending deal for the following:
    '04 325i
    MSRP $35,245 (incl. dest, prep, mats, prem., met. paint, auto, leather)

Deal would be for $32,200........what do you think, fair?

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Sounds nice.. just like mine, except I have Xenons, heated seats, and I don't have the PDC.

ia... i = fuel injection.. or at least it used to... now, it is just something they put on every car.

a = automatic

I'm surprised that one doesn't have heated seats up there in Michigan.. I doubt any of the cars they order for dealer stock in that area are without it..

I see asking prices of similar cars here in Cincinnati at the dealer and CPO for $28,800 but they don't have the Sport package.. How much are they asking for it?

If that is the entire option list, that car MSRPed for right around $37,300 new.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    It's even advertised on their website:

http://www.autobahnmotorcars.com/Flash/325iSale2005.html
    If you assume the mats are $150 and a $200 MACO charge on the invoice, then you are paying about $1300 over dealer cost.. Not a bad deal, but you might be able to get $500-$1000 less at this time of year.. That is pretty much the standard option package, so it isn't like you are looking for a strange combination that is hard to find.. Of course, being the standard package, they won't have much trouble selling it either.. They aren't trying to rob you at that price.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What do you mean by "this time of year" on a 2005?
    I don't know how they do that, but they have been running specials like that for months... I haven't heard anyone say that it isn't legitimate.

Almost makes me wish I lived in Texas.. nah.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That post was a reply to msg #2099... He states that it is an '04.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• skibum1skibum1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks kydfx! Thats what I wanted to know.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    So clearly there is some hidden incentive which BMW is offering on the 2005 325. Since this is the last year before the E90 comes out, I would have expected heavy discounting later in the year. But the discounting seems to have started much earlier!
    I think it is just that one dealer.. I'm not sure how they do it.. But, if you go looking for that deal in other places, I think you'll come away disappointed.......

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bigb0bbigb0b Member Posts: 3
    They have it listed at 31,995. I got out of the very new salesman that the car has been on the lot since June. When I asked him about the car's history, he told me that they bought it from BMW USA, so it was a corporate car. To me that means the probably got it pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

I offered 28,000 for it, and the lowest they would go is 31,000 (after several trips to the managers office). Obviously I just walked out.
    It sounds like a nice one, but ANY '03 325i should be under $30K by now...

I didn't buy mine CPO, but there was one at a dealer in Dayton back in December.. almost the same exact equipment.. BMWNA car, CPO as well.. It was offered to me for $31K even.. That was 9 months ago... I think $28K was a fair offer, and I'm surprised that didn't bring a counter offer under $30K.. Oh well... lots of cars out there...

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BMWNA sells those corporate cars at a closed dealer auction.. They aren't necessarily all that cheap, but they are some of the nicer units you'll find.... that is where my car came from as well... Atlanta auction..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bigb0bbigb0b Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback.

I've done a fair bit of homework on these cars, but when they acted like I was trying to steal it from them, I started to second guess myself.
    Yeah.. I've gotten that, also... I had a salesman at the local dealer actually refuse to take an offer below asking price on a CPO Z4.

My local BMW dealers sometimes have cars for months and months.. Maybe they think they just look good sitting out front... I don't get it, and I try to be realistic about price..

But, I could be wrong..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• teach3teach3 Member Posts: 23
    I did the very same thing this week with Autobahn on a 2005 -- and, like you, had a hard time believing in the price (perhaps being in Houston with its overly high prices have something to do with it) -- but it does look legit to me as well --

I am trusting that nothing fishy happens -- let me know if it does -- and I'll do the same
  • storm007storm007 Member Posts: 1
    Im interested in buying a 2004 325xi or 330xi. Does anyone know if the dealer incentives apply to xis?

Also are there ever any incentives in the first few months of a new model year (ie 2005)? (in case I decide to wait).
  • richzrichz Member Posts: 160
    Storm, the incentives do apply to the xis because I was negotiating with a dealer this past week on a 2004 330xi. They did try to pull a fast one on me at first by quoting me a price of 41,000 on a MSRP 43,000 car. I just looked at him funny and the salesman went back and said oh my manager didn't know about the rebates...yeah, right.
  • richzrichz Member Posts: 160
    Also, did you actually find any 04 325xis and 330xis with dealers? If you did, where are you located because I checked every dealer in the metro Detroit area and the 325xis have been long gone.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I'm not finding any incentives on 2005 325xi's. I actually just ordered one today. After getting screwed around by one dealer (tacked on $500 at the last minute for doc fees and the like), I went to his competitor across town who honored his word. I ended up ordering the car exactly as I wanted it for $1,040 over invoice (including drive off plate and their doc fees). That was definitely the best deal I was going to get. I was working (requested quotes from) 8 different dealers.
  • atwnsw1atwnsw1 Member Posts: 21
    I just bought a 2003 325i Certified Pre-Owned for 27500 with only 4,500 miles.

Premium Pkg
    Metallic
    Auto
    Leather

I had seen a bunch of these BMW employee cars that had been newly marketed. Fully loaded cars and great drive. The only question in my mind was how hard had the car been driven in their possession.....

In essence, 27.5k is what I paid for my car which was Certified. If you shop around, you should easily get this car for around 28k as long as you are willing to drive to pick it up.

Good hunting.

Anthony
  • poetpindarpoetpindar Member Posts: 18
    BMW 325i with black leather seats ($1,450); Premium Package ($3,100); Sport package ($1,400); Automatic ($1,275); Xenon Lights ($700); Harmon Kardon Sound System ($675).

Dealer offered lease of: $2000.00 cash down; $580.00 Total Monthly payment (includes tax and interest factor).

Lease term is: 36 months; 15,000 miles per year.

I would like to offer:

No money down; $550.00 per month for 36 months. Help!!
  • desi1desi1 Member Posts: 40
    Hello,

Can you tell me that after i have verbally agreed on a monthly payment, upfront/out the door amount, and the term, what other things should I check for before I sign the contract?

The items disclosed to me so far when calculating monthly payment are MSRP, Cap Cost, Residual %, MF, Terms, Bank Fee, and State Tax.

The items disclosed to me when calculating the upfront/out the door amount are 1st month's payment, security deposit, bank fee, and Title & Plates.

Also, I am aware of a disposition fee at the end of the term.

I have seen the MACO charge come up a few times in this forum. What is that?

Besides these items, what things could pop up before or right after I sign the contact? Are there any other charges that I should expect to pay? Also, is there a checklist that I should follow when inspecting the car before taking the delivery?

I truly appreciate your help.

Thank you,

SS
    Once you have agreed on a price and payment, MACO shouldn't come up.. That is a regional advertising fee that the dealer pays.. It is on the invoice, but unless you are agreeing to a certain price over invoice, it is irrelevant.

Some dealers will try to slip in extra fees (document fees, dealer prep, etc).. These are just profit padders.. Small doc fees of under $50, I usually let go, but if it is anything more than that, it should be disclosed during negotiations... Make it clear that your offer is based on an "out the door" price, and that you don't want any surprises in the finance office.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• desi1desi1 Member Posts: 40
    Thank you kyfdx.

What are the things that I should check for when inspecting the car, of course, besides the usual inspection for scratches, odometer reading, VIN # (to match the contract), and the in-service date?

Thank you,

SS
    Boy... I'm not the best at giving advice on picking up the car.. I miss stuff all the time..

The in-service date should be the day you take delivery, if you are buying a new car.

Take it for a test drive... Pay particular attention to tire pressure issues. Many cars are delivered with highly over-inflated tires. They should have a pre-delivery checklist that the mechanic fills out, stating everything he has checked..

Obviously, a visual inspection of the entire car.. Don't pick it up at night.. and take your time.

And last.. ask someone else for advice on this.. Like I said, I'm terrible at it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cpbrookscpbrooks Member Posts: 3
    Mitc & Murray,
    Sorry I have not responded sooner to your question about the new 04 325i base cars, I have been off the site since I have been out driving my brand new car and loving it. I found several base 325i's and I was looking for a manual although if you are looking for an automatic,there are some still out there too. I paid 26,700 with matts, prep, etc. That was my final cost and I got the 2.9% financing. I know that some people have been able to get the 1.9% but when you are getting a car for less than a grand above invoice, there comes a time when you can only do so much. Good luck, I have found cars in Atlanta, Roswel, and through an auto broker here in Chattanooga. Good Luck
  • mitchmurraymitchmurray Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Courtney. Enjoy your new car.

-M&M
  • spacewormfxspacewormfx Member Posts: 18
    I am looking to buy a base 325i Automatic, no other options for a good price. I was wondering if this configuration would hurt the resale value say 3-4 years down the road? Are they so rare that no one would want it?

There is another one with Xenon and Moonroof, which is at the limit of my budget, but dont really need those.

Any advice on which to get?

Thanks!
    You probably won't find a car without a moonroof.. In fact, the '05s have the moonroof standard..

So, the one with Xenon is within $700 of the lowest priced car you will find.. If you can get a really good deal, that is the way I would go...

The auto and the moonroof are the two most important options, as far as resale value... But, you will be competing with better optioned cars, when it comes time to sell...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If you don't mind traveling to your neighboring state, one of the local dealers has three remaining '04 325i's listed with auto and moonroof. Two are silver (added metallic paint option) and one is white. All three are sedans; no coupes are left. Another has an auto/moonroof sedan in black and the third has a manual/moonroof sedan in black ($29,845 MSRP).
    Local dealer's here have the following '04 325i's that are close to base cars:

Dealer 1 - 3 auto/moonroof sedans. Two are silver (added metallic paint option) and one is white.

Dealer 2 - 1 auto/moonroof sedan in black (MSRP $31,120); 1 manual/moonroof coupe in black (MSRP $32,245).

Dealer 3 - 1 manual/moonroof sedan in black ($29,845 MSRP).
    Thanks kyfdx and cartalk !!
  • mitchmurraymitchmurray Member Posts: 6
    cartalk,

what neighbouring state are you talking about?

Thanks,
    Mitch&Murray
    Arizona (Phoenix area).
    How much under/over invoice would a really good deal be on these base 325's considering the 1,500 mktg incentive?
  • boxztrsboxztrs Member Posts: 10
    You can see my posts within the last few weeks for more details, but I have purchased two cars as follows few weeks ago:

'04 325i sedan, auto, moonroof, metallic paint $ 26,988 before sales tax and license

'04 325i sedan, auto, moonroof, metallic paint, and xenons $ 27,500 before sales tax and license

McKenna BMW in Norwalk, CA. . Last weekend in the Los Angeles Times they were still advertising cars with auto and moonroof at $ 26,988
    How much under/over invoice would a really good deal be on these base 325's considering the 1,500 mktg incentive?
  • justin2justin2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone. New to this group. I'm in the process of shopping for an 04 325i in Los Angeles.

Just got quoted $28850 for a metallic silver 04 sedan, automatic, with moonroof and %1.9 financing. Is this a good deal considering the $1500 incentives? It seems to fall in line with Edmunds TMV.

Are there any secret/frivilous costs I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks again.
  • boxztrsboxztrs Member Posts: 10
    See my post #2136 above.
    Boxztrs

I don't think I could get any of those deals today even if advertised. When I went there i was offered the 04 325i auto, moonroof, metalic paint, and xenons for 28,000 firm. I got a bad vibe about the deal and walked out.

They told me the 26,988 where gone.???
    Justin2, which dealer in LA gave you this deal? I am surprised they offered 1.9, almost everyone else wont move from 2.9 financing.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    **I am looking to buy a base 325i Automatic, no other options for a good price.**

You can't buy a "base" Bimmer cheap enough .. no slider, no toys.? it's the Kiss of Death .. you won't be able to "Give" that pup away come trade side, and if you go to sell it yourself in 3/4 years you better have lots of time, patience and get ready for a $3/$4,000+ beating .... step up and spend the money and gets the basics, the wallet that you save could be yours.!

Terry.
    Terry is the expert.. and I agree with him.. If your budget can't handle any more, and you plan on keeping the car for 6-7 years, then buying the stripped model is okay... But, if you think you might sell in three years, I'd suggest leasing it... At least your residual is guaranteed that way...

But, as I said, you can't find one without a moonroof, and that is a good thing for resale.

On an '04, considering the incentive, I would be looking for $500-$1000 below invoice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good insight, I was worried that would be the case.

Thanks Terry / kyfdx
  • ksdcksdc Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading this forum for some time and thanks to all of you, I've got some very valuable information.
    I am close to buying a '04 325i and am targeting $1000 below invoice. The dealer has some cars still left on the lot. I was wondering what happens after the deadline for incentives expires on 09/30. I mean what has been happening traditionally, like last year and the year before that. Do the dealers just sell whatever is left (assuming something is left) at greater discounts or do they use it as loaner vehicles etc? In other words is this the absolute best time for me to purchase the 04?
    Also, with the completely new design for 2006 vehicles with higher HP and stuff (which probably would hit the roads by the middle of next year), how would the resale value of this vehicle be affected if I have to sell it in 2-3 years and 6-7 years time frame.
    Any guidance would be highly appreciated!
    Last year, the incentives ended on 11/30... But, the dealers report all their leftover cars as sold ("punched" in industry terms), and pocket the incentive... So, the price is still available.. What might change is the availability of special finance rates.

I've heard different interpretations of warranty issues... Some say it starts when the cars are punched.. others say not.

No one really knows for sure how an individual car's resale will be affected by a new model. After 6-7 years, it likely won't make any difference, though. 2-3 years might be a different story.

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S. If you are buying an '04, the longer you wait, the less selection there will be... I could't find anything I wanted in late November of last year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've been reading last year's posts on other bmw boards, and last october the trunk money was $2,000 for the 3 series, so your guess is as good as mine, especially about the financing promo.

The clock starts on the warranty of punched bmw's the day the dealer reports it to Bmw as a demo/dealer car. But they extend the normal warrant by 3 months / 5,000 miles to compensante for this.

The dealer is not required to release this info to you, seems some people get mad when they take their cars to service to find out it was a demo when it was sold as new, which it is.

Here in SoCal, some dealers still have plenty of 3series around.
  • diyediye Member Posts: 45
    Thanks to boxztrs' posts, I went to Norwalk, CA dealer to check out the 27K deal ( 325 with Auto, Moon Roof, Metalic Paint).

I was told ther deal was no longer good. The first sales person just fooled around with me and gave me rediculous numbers.

I called the dealer again to be transfered to another salesperson, he called back and said another special was going on: 28k even for a 325i Auto, Silver with premium package. (they said there were 6 cars at this price, all silver)

One hour and some paperworks later, I got the car. Got 2.9% financing rate, I know the 1.9% speacial rate, but hard to get it with the 28k price. 2.9% instead of 1.9% will cost me $700 more over 5 years.

Didn't lease because they were firm on $3000 down, 10k/year for $259/month -- a number too high for the purchase price of 28k.