Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I've noticed through my many years of observing and driving BMW 3-Series cars that on the 1992-99 generation (E36), the front windows on the coupes and convertibles move down about 1/4 of an inch when the doors are opened. This happens only when the windows are in the fully closed position. Notice it? I've seen the same feature on the Porsche Boxster before.

Now, do the 1999-05 (E46) coupes and convertibles have their front windows do that, as in the E36? I'm just wondering because I have limited experience with the E46 series- I've only driven the sedans.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    The M3s do so I would bet the regular E46 coupes and convertibles will as well.
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    Last year when I did the Susan Koman Breast Cancer drive, all the staff were buzzing about the 330 with the performance package. I drove it (twice, in fact) and came away with a huge smile on my face. It was much more fun than driving anything else on the BMW roster except for the 545 (Which is waaay more expensive). Bottom line is I bought one a few months later and got a great deal. Every time I drive it I wear an ear to ear grin. It was even a good performer in the upstate NY winter when shod with 4 snows. The only thing you need to be prepared for is a very harsh ride with the 18" wheels and low profile summer tires. If the roads around you are full of pot holes, you might want something with a little softer suspension. It all depends on the roads and your driving style. Good luck with your selection!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Yes..they do... also the Z4..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• skimoskimo Member Posts: 23
    Hey y'all ! (yes I am in Texas..)

Anyone know the new MF and Residuals for 06 325i for May?

thanks
    skimo
  • alebradyalebrady Member Posts: 22
    glaker,

thanks for the feedback! the suspension is one of my main concerns as you stated. i live in california and the roads around here are crap. is the perf package suspension much much firmer than say a 325ci?
    325i Sedan

36 mo/15k mi – 61% Residual Value – Money Factor .00255 Base Rate

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwfrevrbmwfrevr Member Posts: 27
    Hello everyone
    I am back with some numbers from my dealer I would appreciate an opinion since I am not that keen in the Money factor issues etc.
    Jet Black 325i with sport pkg, Xenon, Power seats, heated seats Msrp $34890
    36mth/ 12k miles
    $3500 out of pocket including first payment and security deposit
    $448/mth + tax

p.s. they screwed me on trading in my 01 330i only 39k miles, silver/Red, premium, cold, auto, xenon, Hk I am begging them for $19k.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    try car max u'll get another 2k i bet.

DL
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    You are selling your 2001 330i with only 39K miles?

Do not trade it. Sell it someplace else. Good luck!
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    Alebrady:
    Here’s my answer to your post. This is just my opinion. I welcome corrections and contrary opinions from others.....
    If you use the basic chassis/suspension of the 325 as a base, you will find that the first factory change in suspension is when you add the sports package option. This gets you a different ride and road feel based partly on the firmer suspension and larger wheels/lower profile tires. The car will be stiffer and you will feel bumps more, but the ability to stick to the road is increased. If you take another step up (but only available in the 330 with it’s larger engine), you can get the performance package (referred to as the ZHP option). This gets you even a stiffer and lower suspension, bigger wheels, lower profile summer only tires (different sizes on the front and rear), and a bunch of other things like a better shifter (from the M), a beefed up engine (12 more horses) and elimination of the 128mph speed governor. The difference in both ride and performance between a 325 without sports package and a 330 with ZHP is like night and day. But to ride as a passenger over curvy or bumpy roads in a 330 with ZHP requires a strong stomach. You do a lot of bumping around. Unless you feel you are a good driver and REALLY like to spend time behind the wheel driving fast and having fun, go with the 325. The ZHP is worth the money in my eyes, but you’ll see lots of contrary opinions in this forum. I also question how may 2005s with ZHP are still available. Good luck!
    glaker,

thanks a lot for the thoughtful response. I should have been more clear in my post but the 325ci i was able to test drive did have the sports suspension. so the main difference i was interested in understanding was between the sports suspension and the performance.

you are right, its been hard for me to find an '05 zhp - thus, my inability to test drive one to see the difference for myself! the best deal i seem to be able to work out is for the 325ci with sports/premium. the dealer says they can get me a 330ci (without performance, without premium but with sports) but instead of something like $25-$35 more a month which i expected its $60 more - - i am stuck deliberating on whether the engine alone is enough for another $60/month. The only quotes ive been able to get on a zhp are roughly $120 more a month over the 325ci mentioned above.

practically i know i should get the 325ci with sports and be happy, but i have this little nagging voice telling me 'get the 330, get the 330':)

any thoughts? thanks again for your responses
    Leasecompare.com seems to be offering very attractive leasing deals for BMWs. Anyone work through them yet?

AMT-
    1) Don't know your exact breakdown, but if your out of pocket is 1st payment, security, acquisition fee.. That leaves about $1875 for a cap cost reduction..

2) Assuming the above is correct, they are figuring your lease with the base rates and a selling price of MSRP.

Naturally, MSRP as a selling price is not a deal... I guess you could be thankful that they didn't also mark up the money factor..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

ha, thanks kyfdx

i guess you still like the original 325ci deal you were helping me with the best?
    Yes... If you could find a similarly optioned 330Ci, that would be okay, but I sure wouldn't want to pay another $100/mo. for one that loaded up..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

i hear you - i think im having an availability problem. there just dont seem to be that many '05 330ci's without the performance package (and then if they find one the dealers dont have it in stock and dont seem as eager to deal)

I found one with an msrp 42,720 (as opposed to the msrp of 39,295 for the 325ci) but, like i said, they want $60 more a month as opposed to the 325ci - as you said earlier, i think if it was maybe $30 more a month it would be an equivalent deal but at $60....i just dont feel like i am getting as good a deal as with the 325ci - of course, i would have a nicer car but....
  • nab2nab2 Member Posts: 18
    Purchased 2006 325i auto/ZPP/metallic MSRP $36,645 for $35,745. Negotiated only around 10 minutes so you might get a better deal.

Left with a bad taste in my mouth after sales rep. snuck a service fee onto the sheet despite telling me there would be no extra fees. If not for that it would have been an even $1000 below MSRP.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    When is the current-gen (E46) 3-Series coupe and convertible slated to end production for the U.S.? (Or has it already?)
    What service fee? Did you not carefully look over the paperwork before your signed off?

AMT-
    Here's what happened. On the worksheet he added up all the items EXCEPT the service fee and I looked at that and it was the correct number. He went down the list stating every option and how much it cost, then when he got to the end (after the final price) he said 'and there will also be a fee for licensing, we have to get you new plates'.

Now the only line item after the final price is the service fee and I assumed that was what he was talking about. A reasonable thing to assume, since first of all he had told me there would not be unexpected fees, and second of all he was reading down the list, right?

So anyway I signed off and when I got to the back, surprise! There's a license fee separate from the service fee.

Great. I had already signed off on the offer so they had me. I am really mad at myself because I was being careful and I had done my research but I still feel like I got taken. Afterwards I talked to the salesman about it and he gave me some canned old line about how it's something that's never waived blah blah. I said but I asked you if there are any unexpected fees and you said no, why didn't you just tell me about it?

His reply was that he'd throw in a second set of floor mats. Thanks buddy. I'm here to start a floor mat collection.

You would think that they wouldn't want to anger their customers just for the chance to rake in an extra $100 wouldn't you?
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    That kind of sucks. I'm assuming you've already given them a deposit?
    It still might be worth complaining to the sales manager. If you complain loudly enough, I bet they take it off.
  • aaa4aaa4 Member Posts: 1
    Did u purchase the vehicle in California? If so, what is the name of the dealership. I'm also looking into purchasing a 06 325 but all the dealerships I visited are selling their vehicles at MSRP.
  • tksungtksung Member Posts: 34
    if it is training service fee, it is part of the invoice. if his invoice/msrp was off by $180, then you didn't pay anything extra. If his invoice/msrp was correct and he still charged you training service fee, then you paid for it twice. i'd tell him the deal is off if he does not take it off. You should be able to get $1000 off easily. (There was one on ebay for $2000 off).

i had a dealer in norcal who offered me low $ over invoice. i thought he was phony, but then he mailed me the printout matching my config. i didn't take the deal since by then i put the deposit on an ed. if you want to check him out, email me (tksung at extravert dot com).
    Thanks tksung but it's all done now...I did pay for it twice. When I pick up my car I'll see how they treat me.

For now I consider the opportunity to write a terrible dealer review and tell all my rich coworkers the story of how I got hoodwinked a fair exchange for the extra $100 they took from me.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    ...and all I can say is WOW!!!!!

It is incredibly beautiful and feels more spacious than the '05. Of the new BMW designs its the most beautiful, because the back of the vehicle is not only bearable - IT LOOKS GOOD! If I can't get a great deal on an '05 5-series, I actually wouldn't mind paying $400-450/mo for a new 325i.
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    I find the back hideous. The half moon shape of the trunk just looks out of place.
    I did not find the rear of the new 325 attractive either. Looks cheap.

AMT-
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    nab2,

When BMW calls you they will ask you questions about the car AND the dealer. That's when you can state your case.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• joek1joek1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm intereted in a 330 05 coupe. What can I hope for relative to the invoice price? I was thinking of ordering and taking European delivery (not sure on the ED part). Thanks for your comments.
    The only incentives are lease incentives.. If you can find a dealer with a June build date, you could take ED and lock in the current lease incentives...

If you shop around, you should be able to find a deal for $1000-$1500 over ED invoice.. (or even $1000-$1500 over US invoice, for that matter) That would make for a great three year lease deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• spiveygbspiveygb Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking at a an '03 325i (no options, MT) listed for $24,900. It has 20k miles on it. I checked the blue book and the tmv here at edmunds. There is quite a bit of discrepancy on the numbers they are returning. What does everyone here think?
    well thanks kyfdx now that it is too late i feel that I got really screwed here is the breakdown:
    2006 325i MSRP $34890 36mth/12k
    capitalized cost reduction including acquisition fee $2813
    security deposit $0
    first payment $448+6% tax
    doc fees $160
    tax on something "may be cost reduction" $212
    total due at signing $3660
    that leaves me with 35 payments of 448+tax

but I asked to have the $500 security deposit added and the first figure reduced by $500 meaning $2313 to leve me with monthly payment of $455

so please tell me that they lied to me about giving me $500 off MSRP.

Thank you very much
    Well... that is a lot of numbers... but..

If cap cost reduction is $1688 (+ $625 acq.fee for total of $2313), I get MSRP for a selling price, using the base lease rates....

Now, if you assume they are bumping up the MF to the maximum, and also charging you the maximum acquisition fee ($825), then the discount from MSRP is about $1000...

They giveth with one hand, and taketh away with the other...

So, technically, the selling price could be $500 off MSRP... It just depends on how much they padded the money factor..

My advice: Don't sweat it.. you were the first one on your block with the car... It wasn't going to be a really cheap deal, no matter what..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I heared such number of money factor 0.00295

thanks alot for your advice it really made me feel better, you guys are great. I really wanted to know if they were truthful with me or they just got pissed off because I didnot trade in my 330i for peanuts so they jacked the price up. :(
  • nj00dstarznj00dstarz Member Posts: 11
    Hi kyfdx, Need your advice on this lease option-
    Got a quote from a BMW dealer for a 2005 325i w/ C weather Pkg.. in MI
    Car has around 7K miles (was a demo car).
    Lease details:
    $ 2500 down
    15K miles/ year
    Closing costs around $1000
    3year/36 month lease for $ 400 a month.

Is it worth it or no?

Many thanks for your advise
    It is hard to know, without knowing what other equipment is on the car... But, I'll take a stab at it...

I'll compare it to a new '05..

Assumed MSRP of $35K
    Assume selling price of invoice (since this one has 7K miles..still too much) about $32K
    Minus $2500 incentive currently in place
    Minus $2500 cap cost reduction.
    Plus $625 acquisition fee.

Net cap cost of $27,625..

For that, I get $330/mo.+ tax... That would be a new car that you bought at invoice price... So, your deal doesn't look so good..

If I assume an MSRP of $38K on a new one, the price is about $377+tax...

Either way, I'm not enamored of your deal.... I also recommend not putting any money down on a lease... Just the $1000 upfront should be enough...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nj00dstarznj00dstarz Member Posts: 11
    Thanks kyfdx,
    It is priced at $32k.
    salesman did offer a $330/month lease offer but then
    Lease would be for 39 months/ 11,500 miles a year.
    still needs $2500 down and roughly $800-1000 in closing costs.

dosent look good either- I guess?
    It would help to know the original MSRP of the car...

But, $32K selling price seems high, either way... Sounds more like a $30K car...

The other lease sounds like it is going through a 3rd party bank... they give you 39 month leases with only 36K miles.... brings the price down a little bit.. That lease looks better than the first one, though...

I think it is the selling price that needs work..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

First of all many thanks to everyone who has educated and advised me on the process of buying a car at the best price possible(especially kyfdx). I have been shopping around for a 3 series for the past 2-3 months. This Forum is just fantastic and I really want to thank Edmunds for hosting this forum.

I finally bought a brand new 2005 330i with Sport Package, Premium package(natural brown leather) and auto transmission for $35,000.00. The car had 36 miles on it.

Here are the details for those who might be interested:
    MSRP: $42,245
    Selling price $35,000.00 including floor mats(seems like I got it for $350 over invoice).
    With tax and title/license(Texas rate is 6.25%) the total cost = $37,460.00

The dealer matched my credit union rate of 4.4% for 60 months.

The deal was all negotiated over the phone. The dealer picked me up the next day and the paperwork took only 10-15 mts to sign off. Spent another 1.5 hours going through all the details of the car mechanics, electronics and BMW assist. The dealer offered excellent service and I am very pleased with the entire transaction.

Thanks and regards
    AMT-
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Congrads! Was at Autobahn ? that was the last natty brown car i saw around.

DL
    DL-
    Yes. That was the only black/brown they had.
    By they way, you did order ED, correct? 325 or 330?

AMT-
    Congratulations... persistence pays off... that is a great deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mexa05mexa05 Member Posts: 8
    i echo the sentiments of the previous posts. I am on the market for a new car and this forum is excellent. I have been reading a few posts in the past couple of weeks and finally, i went to the dealership and drove the car. Without any hassling at all, they offered to knock quite a few bucks from the price of the car. Here is the deal i have been offered, what do you all think?

2005 bmw 330Xi
    auto/ steptronic
    heated front seats
    xenon lights

for 33K.
    MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

oh, i forgot, leather as well.

MSRP of $42K according to the dealer.
    If the MSRP is truly $42K, and the selling price is truly $33K, then I'd be down there in about a half hour to close that deal..

Anywhere around $7K-$7.5K off MSRP would be a great deal... '05 330xi are getting hard to find..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks. I drove the car yesterday and it is on hold right now. I should close the deal this afternoon unless any surprises happen. I'll post the final deal.
  • oliverxoliverx Member Posts: 14
    Wow, The invoice price for this car (xi, auto, heated seats, xenon, and leather) is about $39,000.
    $4000 BMW to dealer incentive...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator