Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Glad to see someone in DFW getting a great deal. i had considered that as well...

I could not fit a ED in my schedual this year unfortunatly. So I picked up a 2006 on monday,

DL
  • scarydwscarydw Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2005 325i and the dealer bullied me into buying the extended warranty for $1895. Does this seem overpriced? I am a first time BMW owner and don't know the costs of repairs, etc. Please advise. Thanks.
  • mexa05mexa05 Member Posts: 8
    OK, i apparently had the wrong car, i did price 2 of them.
    330xi leather, xenon, auto, heated seats for $35K in the minneapolis area. is there any room for further negotiation here?
  • unouno Member Posts: 15
    If the MSRP is truly $42K, and the selling price is truly $33K, then I'd be down there in about a half hour to close that deal..

Anywhere around $7K-$7.5K off MSRP would be a great deal... '05 330xi are getting hard to find..

Does this apply to 2006 model as well?
    If not, could you please suggest a good deal on 06's?

Thanks a lot for help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    If the MSRP is $42K, then $35K is probably bottom dollar... I thought that $33K seemed a little unrealistic..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No..it doesn't apply to '06s....

So far, deals have varied greatly on '06s.... they have only been out for a week.. Not sure what would constitute a "good" deal... I personally don't even try to buy "hot" cars.....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    So you almost bought the car I purchased...WOW! Well, thanks for leaving it for me. I owe you big time. By the way where did you get the car at?

Congrats on the new 330. If you see anyone with a 2005 330i blacksaphire, honk. It could be me!
    What was the MSRP and how much did you pay for the car?

Though, German cars are not as reliable as the Japanese cars, the extended warrenty might have not been necessary. See, you are covered for 50,000 miles anyway, and if you only keep it after that, that an extended warrantt might come in handy. However if you should decide to keep it after that, then repairs can be very expensive and the extended warranty can certainly help. I hope you got the extended warranty and not the extended maintainance. Do you know for sure?

AMT-
    I got the optional service contract with BMW for the terms of 72 months or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. I paid 26,608 before tax and license.
    If the car is new, then the price you paid is excellent.

Regarding the service contract you mentioned- I am not sure if it is the warranty or simply maintainence.
    There are 2 things:
    1- General maintainance like oil change, brake pad replacement, alignment etc.
    I think this is a waste. And if they are charging you that much, and If I were you, I
    would try to talk to them about taking it off. This will for example, not cover any
    problems with the transmission or engine. And those repairs are really expensive.

2- Extended warranty. This might be a good thing on the long run if you decide to keep
    the car after 50K miles. This should cover most problems.

If the service contract you obtained is the one described in 1 above, then perhaps you should try to speak to them about replacing the service contract with the warranty program described in 2. I think it will cost a little bit more but might be useful.

I could be wrong, but I am sure someone else here will be able to explain and clarify better.

AMT-
    yeah funny. I had talked to the internet guy over there before. Blk Sap/natty brown is going to be a popular combo im betting since its no longer available. I purchased in Richardson. But they are getting a new facility down the tollway from me early next year. My deal involved a trade so i came out best there.

DL
    Thanks for your help. The car is new and I actually purchased it thru Cars Direct but had to pick it up at the dealers. I'm going to call them re: service contract because when the finance manager explained it to me, it sounded like it covered anything wrong with the car.
  • oliverxoliverx Member Posts: 14
    I got a mechanical breakdown insurance for my new 325i from my car insurance company. It cost $30 a year with $250 deductible. It can be carried as long as I own my vehicle.
  • jsamsonjsamson Member Posts: 23
    Just got back from the dealership today where i brought my 04 es330 for a possible trade on a 06 325i
    heres the breakdown:

Trade in value - approximately 27600 (includes portion of taxes previously paid)
    MSRP of 325i - 32,300 approximately - an absolute base 325i with the only option being the auto transmission.

roughly 7k out the door

i told the guy i was willing to do 5k flat, he told me impossible,
    right now im contemplating whether to do it or not.

what do you guys think????
    I am not familiar with the 'es' part of the 330.
    I test drove the 2006 325i and the 2005 330i. The 325i was not match for the older 330i. So I bought the 330i.

How different is the es330 from the 330i I wonder...

AMT-
    es330 as in lexus es330, pretty much the polar opposite of the bmw 3 series.
    Hm your BMW and Lexus same dealer ? interesting. would do this get a independent appraisal of the ES, carmax if theres one in your area. They tend to beat KBB by at least a couple %. Keep the trade a separate deal from the New car. Thats how I negotiated my deal. I did NOT tell my dealer what other quotes I got on my trade and agreed on a price on the New vehicle. I then let them bid up my trade til I thought it was a reasonable offer. When they just say X difference you don't really know where you stand. Also make sure your new deal includes floor mats they are extra my center includes them, but some still don't without a fuss...

Good luck,
    DL
    The lexus and bmw dealerships are separate.

the bmw dealers appraisal is quite fair from the research ive done, ive looked up kbb and edmunds and my wife even brought the es330 to carmax about 6 months and 5000 miles ago when we were offered 26k only.

the 27,600 fields bmw offered me did include the taxes i previously paid for the vehicle.
    but they wont budge at all on the 2006 325i
    so i ended up leaving, still unsure whether its worth the 7k out the door
    i would have wrote the check if it was 5 to 5500 out the door.

maybe they were knocking the 325i price down 1000 to 1500 and just making my trade appear to be appraised more, of course i believed them when all 06 3 series were going for msrp, either way they said 5k out the door was "impossible"
    Yes, the price is steady on the 2006 3 models. They only started rolling out last week and I am yet to see one on the street. Perhaps you should wait a few months until the prices stabilize. I waited 3 months to get the price I wanted.

Good luck!
    Out-the-door doesn't mean too much to the rest of us, because we have no idea what that entails... How much of it is tax, dealer fees, etc.?

The difference between your trade-in value and MSRP is $4700... I think the trade-in value on your Lexus looks fair... So, MSRP for the new one, plus taxes and fees?

If you really want the new car, that looks okay, but do the taxes add up to $2300? If there are $500-$800 of bogus dealer fees in there, then it isn't so good..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

good question,
    i didnt request the breakdown of the 7k difference before i left.

of the 7k difference
    - $4700 difference between my trade and the bmw MSRP
    -i believe a 6.5 to 7 percent sales tax , lets say 2,000
    - im assuming a dealer fee of 3 to 500???

to me it sounded fair at the time,
    my only concern is the longer i wait then my Lexus will just continue to depreciate, or is this the right mentality????
    More than likely your SA would rather give a good trade that does not eat into his commission than discount on the new model. Having said ,that i agree i would want to know what all those out the door includes.

What its worth to you or not of course we can't answer. Like you said 2 entirely different vehicles. In CA you should have a lot of dealer options.

DL
    Ops we were posting same time and i missed your numbers. Id say looks pretty good. My only extra fees were $50.00 document fee, and TX license and inspection was $130.55.No MAKO or any of that stuff.

I don't think you car will depreciate rapidly. Its a fuel efficient model. Now my gas hog , with high miles was another story..

Is this Auto only car a special order or in stock ?
  • unouno Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    This will be my very first new car. I got an offer from a dealer.
    [2006 BMW 330i]
    Sparkling Graphite Metallic with Black Leather interior, equipped with:
    - Premium Package
    - Heated Front Seats
    - Automatic Transmission
    Priced at $40,750.00

MSRP and Invoice from edmunds.com are $41,445 and $38,005

Will this be a ok price or there be space to go down further?
    Thanks a lot for help.

-UNO
    DL-
    Did you get the 2006 325 or 330?

AMT-
  • cindy17cindy17 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks tksung. I am also interested in 2006 325i. Would you please send me the dealer info. you mentioned?
    I hope the lexus doesnt depreciate too much,
    at the end of the visit to the dealership, the salesman gave me the speech about the appraisal value would change when the odometer goes past 10,000 miles (im at 9820) and when the month changes over to June.

but at the same time he did tell me if 2k was the only thing holding me back from buying the car then that shouldnt be a factor since he got the impression i was unhappy with the Lexus.

your question about the Automatic only car being a special order?

i was actually surprised they had about 3 to 5 base 325is with auto only in stock,
    when he told me the difference to buy the bmw was 7k i told him, i wanted the base auto in electric red, he said they had 2 in stock! i told him lets look, at this point all i had to do was see that car in red and i was ready to buy, but it turns out they didnt have any in electric red,

so i left , called the salesman about an hour later and asked when he can get me a red one, he said 1 to 2 wks, it turned out the 2 electric red base cars were incoming.

he also told me not to worry about the lexus passing the 10,000 mile mark as he'll honor our deal.

i told him id call him tomorrow to confirm, im thinking i might call him, and offer him 6k for the difference, i guess ill sleep on it for now.
  • psyranpsyran Member Posts: 30
    Can't decide whether to lease or purchase my 2006 330i arriving in about two weeks. Getting a whopping $500 of MSRP so price (ZSP and ZPP) is at $40,770.
    Really want payment to be around $575 or so. Can finance at 72 months with around 8k down (Capital One Auto) to get the payment there, or lease with little down and have a higher payment. Credit score may be an issue (640ish) What are the present lease factors on the e90, and is it too high to consider the lease?
    psyran
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    FYI, your sales tax should be based on the difference between new car and trade, not on the value or price of the new car. That amounts to somewhere in the $300 range, nowhere near $2000. I'd also try to "decline" paying any "dealer fee" (translation: additional dealer profit). Good luck.
    1) Find out the breakdown of the extra $2300..If it is sales tax, and that is the car you want, I feel their trade-in offer on your Lexus is fairly strong..

2) You will be giving up quite a few amenities, going from an ES300 to a "stripped" 325i... Make sure you are okay with that... The BMW will be a great driving car, but you'll have a $30K+ car without power seats, six disc CD, leather, etc, etc... That bothers some people...

Good luck..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

1) Money factor is .00255 and the residual for 3yr/36K is 60%..

2) With 1st pymt, sec.deposit and acq.fee upfront, payment is $612/mo.+tax

3) Financing $40,770 for 60 mo. at 4.9% is $768/mo.... To get that down to $575/mo. for 60 months, you would need a little over $10K down...

4) Your credit score may be an issue for a BMWFS lease.. Even if you qualify, your dealer may mark-up the money factor and acquisition fee.. The base money factor is equivalent to a little over 6%, which isn't terrible.. If you can get the base money factor, I would lease, rather than finance for six years..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Are you a member of a credit union? Or ask your bank. Then ask the dealer if they would beat it.
    325i. Perhaps another time I can fit a ED in and get a 330i. Honestly the power increase in the 325i is incredible . Are you honoring your 1250 mile break in period ? :shades:
    I took some friends for a ride in my New 325i. We stopped at my dealer as they wanted to window shop when they were closed. They had about 3 330i's and 4 325i. I was shocked to see a Electric Red behind the fence that had just arrived. Honesty i can't say i ever loved a E46 model in red. The E90 did look better tho. I think since its more monocromatic and no black belt line trim They had 1 325i in Silver/Black ette with only Met, Step and sat radio prep as options.

DL
  • rydog1818rydog1818 Member Posts: 3
    hello there, could i please get some feedback on this lease deal?

2005 Bmw 330ci equipped with-
    sport package
    prem package
    cold weather package
    navi
    xenon headlights

3 year/36k
    msrp-45550
    selling price-42120
    money factor-0.00095
    residual factor-57%
    cap cost reduction-$3000

monthly payment of-$518

any thought would be greatly appreciated. thank you
    I did drive the new 325i too and yes the power is a big step up!
    And Yes, I am honoring the break in period, except a few times when I was trying to test the manual mode of the steptronic transmission. But I promise to behave now, until I reach the 1250 milestone.

Good luck with the new car!
    AMT-
    Is it a $3000 cap cost reduction? Or is it $3000 due at signing?

Because if the entire $3000 is cap cost reduction, there is something seriously wrong with the numbers...

Also... the residual should be 59% for a 3yr/36K lease, not 57%..

And.. Does your payment include sales tax? If so, what is the rate?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rydog1818rydog1818 Member Posts: 3
    The cap cost reduction is about $1900 with 1100 due at signing.

The payment does not include tax, which i beleive to be around 8.25%

thanks
    I added a $625 acquisition fee into the cap cost, and subtracted the $1900 cap cost reduction to come up with a net cap cost of $40,845.. That gave me a payment of about $453/mo.+ tax.. That is with the proper residual of 59%.. If I use the residual of 57% (36mo/45K residual?), then I get $477/mo.+ tax, which puts me right around your payment.. So, do you think maybe the payment includes tax? If not, something is wrong..

Do you have negative equity from a trade-in that is being rolled into the lease?

Also, instead of making a cap cost reduction, you should take about $550 of that money, and make a security deposit... that will reduce your money factor to .0008... and, you get the security deposit back at the end of the lease..

If you already are making a security deposit, or if your upfront money includes the acquisition fee, then the numbers are even farther off, and not in your favor..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

First... I wonder if the $42,120 is actually the selling price, or just the net cap cost after the cap cost reduction?

Assuming that it is the selling price, it should look this way..

$45,550 MSRP
    $42,120 selling price
    $42,745 Cap cost (selling price + acq.fee)

3yr/36K lease
    Money factor .0008
    Residual 59%

payment = $497/mo.+ tax

Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, title, license fees.. ($1500 max)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Talked to the sales advisor again today and got the breakdown:

1) My 04 ES330 trade-in $26,000

06 base 325i electric red w/ auto approximately 32,270

Price difference = 6270
    Taxes = $417 approximately
    Dealer Fee = 189
    Other miscellaneous State of Florida fees = 100 approximately
    Total = 7k approximately

When he said my Lexus ES was worth 27,590 or so he was implying that he was giving me a tax credit and that i would only pay taxes on the difference of the trade he stated that the tax credit is something i would not get if i sold it private party

I talked to him again later in the day to confirm that i did not want the BMW anymore, i left a voicemail, he called about 2 minutes later saying he was able to give me 500 more for my trade bringing the total out the door to $6500 . I told him id call him tomorrow to confirm my decision

2) I actually went to the dealership again tonight with my cousin, my sales advisor had already left. I went just to clarify some of the standard features.
    I cant believe they dont include power seats???!!! Moonroof is standard but power seats aren't, thats bizarre. And since saturday they sold all their 325is with only 3 or 4 330is left.

here's my conclusion, im keeping the Lexus.....
    but......i am keeping an eye on the 06 IS250, by then my trade will be worth 19k...ha
  • angelveeangelvee Member Posts: 1
    I have a question and am hoping someone can help. I went today looking for a new car but instead I have found a 1997 328i convertible. IT is red with black top and has 105,000 miles on it. The selling price is 12,500 and I really want this car but all my family is telling me not to do it. Is this a good price and are the hard to maintain.

thanks
    An eight year old convertible with over 100K miles... That car will break your heart... and your wallet..

It might be the most expensive $12,000 car you will ever buy..

You come from a smart family..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Haha,,,kyfdx said it correctly!

Keep away from that 8 year old vehicle! Get a younger babe!
  • psyranpsyran Member Posts: 30
    Thanks kydfx,
    Talked to my SC today. Stated he thought I would be better off buying. Stated even at base lease rate the payment would be around $680/month with $3,000 down (this includes first month, taxes, acquisition, processing, security). So, don't know why his quote is so high but will check with him how he arrived at this. May end up buying. Then I will at least know precisely where these figures come from.
    Thanks,
    psyran
  • lex_koltlex_kolt Member Posts: 17
    Switch from 330ci to 330i
    There is a $4200 rebate on those until the end of the month.
  • mpr247mpr247 Member Posts: 1
    After hard negotiation with my dealer, I got the following lease quote.

2006 325i fully loaded, valued at 40k(Sports, premium/Navigation/satelite radio,etc) . No down, no dealer fees, only inceptions of approx. $800. for $575 + tax a month.

Lease 36 months/ 12k miles.

What do you guys think?
    Selling price looks like $1000 off MSRP using the base rates...

Not bad for the first few weeks of production...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hsenayghsenayg Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I recently baught a 2005 325i. It had the following options

Sports pkg, Premium pkg, Xenon lights, Metalic Paint, Automatic, leather, fold down rear seats and heated seats.

Miles on Car when bought: 11
    Price with all options:
    MSRP: $38,570
    Invoice: Varied: $35,658(carsdirect), $35,390(edmunds), 35,370(kbb)
    Carsdirect: $34,408
    Edmunds TMV: $35,214
    KBB: $36,785
    MY PRICE: $33,120 + Taxes(8.25% in CA) + License(~200) + $45 (doc fee)

Is this a decent price to pay for a 2005 325i ?
  • jp007jp007 Member Posts: 7
    I've been reading this forum and people have been getting it form 6k to 7.5k below MSRP. Is that realistic?

Anyhow, I went to a dealership, and this is the offer that he's giving me.
    2005 BMW 325xi
    Premium package
    Cold Package
    Automatic
    Leather
    Alarm system (BMW nstalled)

Out of the door: $36,000.
    Is that a good deal? It's about 3k below MSRP. I don't know how you can get 6k below MSRP with no trade-in.